Thumbprint Apple Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 09-25-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Apple Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 437 | Hads: 1,493
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Docrock!

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a tulip, reviewed live:

A - Pours a cloudy and murky apricot shaded orange color with about a half finger of thin white head that disappears so fast, you'd never no it was there. Appears undercarbonated.

S - Freshly sliced apples. Incredibly cidery. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd call it one based on the aroma. Hints of alcohol. Clove and cinnamon. Hints of pale malts when i look for them. Interesting and pungent. I could smell it when I poured.

T - Follow the nose closely, though I found the malt I was looking for to differentiate it from a cider. Delicious, juicy, and sweet apples. The freshness of the fruit is outstanding. Allspice and cinnamon throughout. I'm enjoying it. Likie apple pie in a glass.

M - Medium bodied and crisp. Nearly perfect.

D - It's akin to Braggot substituting cider for mead, and I'm not sure if there's a name for this style. The freshness of the fruit and perfect balance are outstanding. I do wish there was more malt character. (1,041 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. Bottle split with my special lady friend, made possible by my good friend durb777, thanks Nick!

A: The beer honestly looks to me like an IPA/DIPA. Pours a hazy orange IPA looking color, a white head forms but dissipates pretty quickly. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass, decent lacing.

S: Wow! Smells fresh apple cider up front. After the initial apple cider smell I start getting lots of caramel and honey notes. Wow, looks exactly like beer, but smells just like cider.

T: Tastes pretty similar to the nose, but not so much of the apple cider up front. Lots of caramel and honey going on, maybe a slight sourness in the finish. I even get a little bit of a tart cherry note in there.

M: Creamy, smooth, light, and bubbly.

O: Overall I'm pretty surprised by this beer. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but New Glarus definitely delivered again! I don't think I could drink more than 12 ounces of this beer, for being only 4% I'm finding it pretty sweet and rich. The way this beer blurs the lines between an ale and cider is pretty unreal. Keep doing what you do New Glarus! (1,116 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a murky sort of reddish-brown-amber. Decent sized fizzy tan head. Very fizzy, can hear it crackling from two feet away. Minor splotches of lacing after it fades away but decent retention at least.

S: Caramel apples. And lots of it. Great aroma, despite how sweet, simple and unbeer-like it is. I guess you can't expect "apple ale" to smell like an IPA now can you...

T: Sweet caramel apples up front. Turns a bit more tart in the middle. Kinda...applesaucy if I'm honest. Not even that far from an apple cider. A bit drying on the back end and you get some decent wheatiness in there.

M: Light/medium bodied, smooth. Surprising for only a 4% ABV beer.

O: Well hell. It's hard to rank beers like this. It's basically pure apple with some caramel and some wheat. It's simple but very tasty and easy to drink. And it does exactly what it intends to do, much like New Glarus' other fruit beers. Top notch for the style, IMO, barring their red/raspberry ales which are glorious. (987 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle to a snifter

A - Pours a reddish orange, very little head, and receded quickly, no lacing.

S - Smells like fresh apple cider, mild tartness comes through in the nose

T - Exactly what you would think from the nose with a very fresh and tart apple taste, balanced with a hint of brown sugar I think.

M - light to medium bodied, light carbonation, not sticky as I expected, but more on the dry side.

O - I'm loving this beer much more than I initially thought I would when I purchased it. It delivers such a balanced flavor without being overkill. These guys definitely know what they are doing with fruit beer. (634 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a CCB snifter. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this tasty brew!

A- Pours a translucent slightly brownish golden with about a fingers worth of white head that fades fairly fast. Nice carbonation that is very consistent.

S- Wow smells like apple juice, who would have thought? Fresh apples, a bit of white wine, a faint pinch of brown sugar and cinnamon. Fairly aromatic with a strong smell of apple juice.

T- Fresh apples, apple juice, very light cinnamon. Pretty tasty, well balanced, strong flavors. The apple in it definitely tastes fresh and not overpowering or artificial which I hate in a lot of fruit beers.

M- Crisp, refreshing, juicy, nice carbonation that gives a slight prickly feel, very easy to drink, well executed.

O- This is definitely the closest to apple juice that I've experienced in a beer, even more so then hard apple ciders. In my opinion it was well executed, very good for an apple ale, and probably my favorite out of the NG fruit ales. If you like apple juice and beer I'm sure you will love this. (1,053 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - poured a light amber color with a small 1/2" head that dissipated rather quickly. lacing is almost non-existent.

S - awesome apple aroma, being a cider fan, this was really appealing. smell like a blend of Fuji and Winesap apples, a touch of spiciness.

T - if I wouldnt have poured the bottle myself I would have sworn i had opened a hard cider, there is a hint of the maltiness that belies the beer, but this is an amazing little brew.

M - a little thin as an ale but more body than a cider. the carbonation is light and just right. there is a slight sweetness in the aftertaste, but it balances the apple tartness nicely.

O - i am really upset i didnt buy more than a 4 pack of this. hopefully i will be able to find again next time i am in Wisconsin. I could drink a bunch of this in warm weather, very refreshing. I might even include in a cider tasting to do some side by sides. (937 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%

This is the 2012 vintage which, due to the Midwest drought, uses Washington Fuji apples instead of a Wisconsin variety.

Pours a thick, dense, white head that has good persistence. Aroma is euphoric; bright, tart apple dominates the nose, but there is a nice yeasty aroma that smells like fresh apple skin, with a malty, almost woody hint behind that. Color is a straw-amber. Flavor starts sweet, brightly tart, and rich with apples. There is an underlying syrup-like (in the pleasant, not overpowering or over sweet) sweetness as the malt blends with the apples. It's a very dry bier; after the apple caresses your tongue, it's a clean, smooth, malt finish. This is a much thicker liquid than cider, and whereas cider becomes yeasty/apple skin bitter in the finish, the wheated brown ale slips through, leaving the finish satisfyingly malty.

This is phenomenal. I remember liking the 2009 (I think it was) version the best, but each and every year of this is gold (I'd only have about an 1/8 point variance between the 2009 and this).
I am a big fan of cider, but in all honesty, New Glarus Apple Ale is better than ANY cider I've ever had. Like I said, that malt finish replaces the low-point of cider with one of the high-points of bier. (1,241 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a very lightly hazy orange-amber color. There is big, fluffy, bright-white head which fades from 2 fingers to a ring of foam.

S: Great apple aroma. Smells like the best apple cider I've ever had. Tangy tart green apple melds with some mild spice and warm caramel.

T: Similar to the nose, very apple forward. It really tastes more like an apple cider than a beer. In fact, I can hardly taste anything that resembles your standard beer at all. Tart apple dominates, followed by some spice that reminds me of apple pie.

M: Medium-thin mouthfeel with mild but foamy carbonation. Fairly sweet so it leaves my mouth slightly sticky.

O: Very unique. If I didn't know better, I would just guess that I was drinking the best apple cider I've ever had. Doesn't taste of beer or alcohol at all. Simply lovely. (856 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a deep gold, almost orange color. Slightly violent pour produces a big, frothy head. Retention and lacing is pretty darn good. Very effervescent with a continuous stream of carbonation of bubbles. Body is slightly hazy, but mostly clear.

S- This is a bouquet of apples all the way through. Sweet and fruity apples with maybe a hint of cinnamon. Apple scent is very dominant with full and juicy flavors.

T- Pretty much the same as the scent. Full, ripe, and juicy apples hit the tongue and preside throughout the drink. I can't tell if there is a hint of cinnamon or not, but towards the end a slight bite appears. The bite is kicked off by a hint of barley grain flavor. Grain flavor lends some smoothness to the drink that ends with a sweet aftertaste.

M- Light, crisp, high carbonation, and smooth going down. This would be a great, easy drinking summer beer, but it's still drinking great now in January.

Overall, this is a great first impression of New Glarus. I have their other fruit beers, and this just gets me excited to try those. Drinks like a cider, yet the grain at the end proves that this is indeed a beer. (1,135 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Another from the Stellar New Glarus.
Poured in my NG glass, light brown, cider color.Cloudy unfiltered apple cider look with a nice creamy head.Medium carbonation.
Smells awesome.White wine, cider, bready apple pie crust, vinegar, spices like cinnamon, clove ginger. Pepper, yeast adds a nice bite in the mix. Doesn't smell like overly sweet juice or cider at all, light spicy and crisp.
Flavor is wonderful.Lightly sweet, very fresh lemony character that comes from very fresh apples. Pepper, clove, yeast, vinegar, chardonnay, perfect carbonation to lighten and enhance the wonderful mix of flavors. Finishes long and spicy with another touch of bread.
Not sure about the complaints of this being too sweet.Light, crisp, refreshing and tart with a great spice profile is more like it.
for what it is..an apple beer..it is spot on hence my high score
excellent unique beer from what is rapidly becoming one of my favorite breweries. (933 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks goes out to StayWhatYouAre2 for sending this one my way! Served from bottle into a New Glarus flute (also from StayWhatYouAre2). Poured a golden yellow-orange with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, green apple, pastry, bread, sugar, and apple pie. The flavor was of sweet malt, pastry, green apple, sugar, apple pie, and subtle wheat. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Upon first investigation of this one I was knocked back by the aroma of apple pie. I couldn’t believe what I was smelling! This beer smelled like America! So right out of the gate I was excited to try this one. The flavor even carried over on this one with the same components. I’m really glad this was the case because usually a lot is lost between the two when I really enjoy the aroma. Really well done on this one New Glarus! (995 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured in to snifter.

A - Medium orange; hazy with a very slight translucence. A ring of white head formed around the edges of the glass.

S - Apple cider and some sweet bready undertones. Not exactly apple pie (at least not in the way that WBR had a wonderful cherry pie aroma).

T - Sweet and tart apple flavours mingle together with a spice profile and some bready malts adding to the palate to create somewhat of an apple pie like flavour. A touch too tart for me.

M - Medium body. Creamy. Light carbonation.

O - This was pretty good and definitely interesting. That said, my expectations for this was that it would be an apple version of WBR and it didn't live up to that. (683 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to rudzud for sharing.

Pours a very light fizzy head, semi hazy golden orange carrot color.

Nose is like sparkling apple juice, fresh apple cider, quite effervescent, hint cinnamon like spices, spiced cider, touch apple pie sweetness too.

Taste fizzy, big apple flavor, apple cider and again sparkling apple juice, sharp acid bite, apple pie and cider mulling spices, tart apple flesh. Finish is tart and dry, tart apple lingering, bit of acidity, more apple cider and spices, and dry mouth smacking tart crab apple like finish.

Mouth is lighter bodied, lots of carbonation, effervescent.

Overall pretty good, one of the better straight up fruit beers I've had. Great apple flavor, effervescent sparkling apple, light mulling spices and sweetness, overall quite nice. I could drink tons of these. (808 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from the bottle into my over-sized HF wine glass.

Appeared a orange/gold/red color with a 1 finger white head. Very active looking with lots of carbonation. Nice and clear.

Smell is of apples...duh. Also somewhat of an apple pie smell - perhaps some caramel. Smells a bit like natural apple juice/cider. Definitely a slight 'funky' smell present.

Taste is awesome. Very natural apple taste mixed with a touch of spicy-ness and funk. Very sweet - tastes like a cider. Slight white wine flavors in there. No alcohol detected.

Light, crispy, and refreshing mouth-feel. Very carbonated and champagne-like.

Very nice beverage. Definitely something that my significant other enjoys. Will seek out more next autumn...New Glarus..if you read this..please make a Brett-ed version of this. I feel that it could turn out incredible! (833 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours dark brown/black copper, hazy, no foam. Strong apple cider smell. Pronounced. Taste is all apple, some cinnamon notes. Strong apple. Finishes with a mild malt that switches back to beer. Otherwise, its very cidery. Smooth and light. Good if you want a well made hard cider knock off. Really clever. (345 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle from buzze40, into a tulip.

Hazy orange with a finger or two of white head - retention is minimal but there's some lacing. Nose has some apple flesh, and some mild spicing vaguely resmebling some apple pie. Malt is semi-sweet, and almost resembles a cider. More cooked apples and spicing that further resembles apple pie, sweet malt and a sorta-dry finish. Fairly high carbonation that I wasn't crazy about, but a few swirls took this down to an amazing level. New Glarus does it again - best fruit beers around. (520 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Glad I got this just in time to have for the holidays! 12 oz bottle poured into a terrapin mason jar glass.
Appearance: Beer pours a golden brown colr with no head that i can recall.
Smell: Smells like an apple cider I get at a apple orchard..
Taste: Follows the smell. Very tart apples are present in the taste but this beer is smooth and very sessionable. I could easily drink 3 or 4 of these in 1 sitting.
Mouthfeel: Very light and beer is smooth as it goes down.
Overall: Now this is a great apple ale. the only other type of apple ale i have had is Shipyard applehead, and this new glarus kicks it out of the ballpark. This is exactly what i was looking for in a fruit beer. New Glarus hits a homerun on this one! (722 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

This is really fantastic. Imagine this, your wife and kids are making Christmas cookies and drinking hot apple cider. You're looking to join in, but instead want something with a little kick instead. And you wonder to yourself, "What should I go buy?" BAM! New Glarus Apple Ale, that's what. This is a great fall/winter seasonal. Pours like pressed apple cider with a beautiful sour smell. I mentioned to a good friend that this makes me feel like a cross between Father Christmas and a Founding Father, as I imagine this style was big in the mid 1700s. Sour apple taste, that's it man, apple, no malt, no hops, just apples. A little tingly on the tongue, but nothing special in the mouth. High drinkability due to low ABV and a great taste. I should save a couple of these for Christmas Eve, but they won't last that long. (823 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

I've tried most of New Glarus's beers, but this is one I've not had the chance to pick up yet. So here we go. Tasted 2 December 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a lightly hazy orange color. Almost see-through, but not quite. Certainly reminds me of apple juice. Half-finger of whitish head, relaxes to a ring around the surface. Okay lacing.

Smells like apple juice with a soft alcoholic push. Smells a lot like a sweet cider - over-ripe, mildly fermented apples.

Hoo boy, this tastes like apples. 75% apple juice is what I get. Make that 85%. There's actually not much beer to it, which is my main complaint. Sweet, pulpy, juicy apples. Yum.

Tickly carbonation, little needles jabbing out from the foam. Medium-light body. Forms a slick over the inside of my mouth, keeping those apple flavors hanging on.

Like most New Glarus fruit beers, this isn't really what I was expecting, but it's a welcome and delicious surprise. My biggest problem with it is that it's like drinking apple juice, with a small chaser of beer. I wish there were more beer in it. I'm conflicted - as a fruit drink, it's freaking delicious. As a beer, well, it doesn't really strike me as a beer. (1,175 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours like a beer but it tastes like a cider oh my god what is the world coming to?!?!?!

Smells of apples. Like apple juice. More like sparkling cider than like hard cider, which considering the MO of New Glarus' fruit beers actually makes a lot of sense.

Tastes very much like it smells only just a little bit gleefully alcoholic. It tastes like fizzy apple cider with just a tiny bit of booze burn near the back, and then the aftertaste is a chewy yeast that's similar to the one they use in their fruit beers. I pick up no nodes of brown ale but I absolutely don't need to because this gets the job done just fine. (620 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall New Glarus Signature Pilsner Glass.

Appearance: Pours copper golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. About two fingers of off white head that fade into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A very fruity aroma dominated by apples. Apple juices with some light spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, and even a touch of clove. Sweet malts with some hints of caramel and biscuit. Also a light hint of honey. Literally smells like apple cider with real apples. Interesting and good.

Taste: A sweet and fairly tart juicy taste of apples. Big apple presence that tastes like fresh squeezed apple juice. Some spicing blends in with notes of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Soft bready malts with some caramel, toffee, and biscuit. Towards the finish there is a slight tart cherry like taste. Sweetness is balanced. A pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and very smooth.

Overall: An interesting and pretty tasty take on a fruit beer. Its like fresh apple juice but has just enough malt presence to make it a beer. (1,166 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15.3%

This is my first New Glarus experience. Special thanks to my friend in Madison for picking me up a four-pack of this.

Poured 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A. Poured a nice apple cider color with a small head that disappeared quickly after it was completely poured. Also has a decent fizziness to it.

S. Wow fresh apple smell up front with a hint of cinnamon.

T. A strong fizzy apple cidery taste up front with some cinnamon and other spices on the back end.

M. Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

O. This was a great representation of an apple cider beer. I love that it had a lot of carbonation and was full of fresh apple flavor. It is sweet but not overbearing. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is on the fence about fruit beer. (767 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Special thanks to BeerFMAndy for sending this long time want of mine.

Served in a tulip.

A: Poured out a glistening, apple cider color, that had a head, then it didn't, then it grew on back again, then it vanished into the night again. Overall, the headage was minimal at best.

S: If you're expecting apple cider, this is not your gal. I got sort of a cherry jubilee-apple combo here that was quite divine. This wasn't "artificially flavored" apple. This was the real deal.

T: The taste was a bit more "cidery" and with a pronounced "Pixie Stick" dust quality. I would say Braeburn apples on this, but I'm probably wrong. The tartness was placed just right!

M: The prickly carbonation is the tip-off that this is in fact a beer, rather just a mere cider-like gimmick. The sour apple almost cause jaw-lock in the same way that the most delectable of Russian River or Cantillon sours do.

O: Sooo fresh and inviting. I could drink this stuff all day! (953 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -5.3%

A: The beer pours out of the bottle clear yellow and very bubbly. Despite, or perhaps because of, the bubbles, the head really is nothing but fiz. After a few minutes, there is no activity in the beer.

S: You don't really have to be close to the beer to realize it smells exactly like green apple Jolly Ranchers...which luckily I love. It smells like apple juice, or apple soda if such a thing exists. Extremely sweet, hard to tell this is beer. Weirdly, I like it.

T: The taste continues the Jolly Rancher theme, but is MUCH more smooth and less soda-like. Realistically the only thing I can taste is apples, maybe there's a slight malt presence on the backend. Very sweet, but not fake by any stretch of the imagination. As close to apple soda as you can get without me hating it.

MF: Light, carbonated well, and absurdly drinkable.

O: I love this beer. I need to get more of it. Extremely sessionable and something I could drink with dinner. New Glarus, how are you this good with putting fruit in beer? (1,010 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1%

I deemed this day New Glarus Sunday, so starting with Apple Ale, why the hell not?

A - Looks like apple cider, the real kind and not that more clear bullshit. Small white head, gives way to some decent lacing given the style/profile. Bubbles throughout.

S - Again, apple cider. Apples apparent in nose, good tart apples. Cinnamon, touch of clove even, nutmeg. It is all there, pretty close to perfect smell given what it is supposed to be. Love it.

T - Apple cider, malts, some faint spicy hops. Really solid. Nothing earth-shattering or life altering good but goddamn I wish I lived in Wisconsin sometimes. Then I remember it is Wisconsin...

M - A tad thin, airy, bubbles, and I get a tad of acidity that I could live without. Really appropriate though and didn't expect much more.

O - Quite glorious. The Dude definitely abides here, just so yummy and worthy. I could easily see buying cases of this if I had access, would be a great cross-over beer to get some people more into craft (isn't a lot of NG though?). Will drink again with a smile on my face.

This was 2012 bottle, I plan to do a 10, 11, 12 mini-vert here at some point just for the hell of it....don't expect huge differences but think it may be interesting anyway.

I give this one 7 green bananas. (1,271 characters)

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company