Thumbprint Enigma - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint EnigmaThumbprint Enigma

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 05-01-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
quasimoto

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Its appearance is a deep choclate brown with an ever so tinge of pink to it. The head is light tan and has that slight pinkness to it as well. Strong aromas of tobacco, oak, chocolate malt, sour cherries and some sweet molasses dominate the nose. Such a complex bouquet of aromas that it is really something that is hard to pin down. The taste is strong sour cherries and back grounds of chocolate malt. The oak definitely comes out and adds a sense of sweetness to it. The mouth feel is light and smooth almost cloying. Very easy going down. If I wasn't so partial to the Belgian Red I would say that this is the best thing out of New Glarus ever.

09-01-2007 18:27:41 | More by quasimoto
cdkrenz

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

$8.49 / 4 Pack
County Market
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - Hazy brown nearing a very dirty purple. A 1/4 inch of head that fades quick leaving wisps of white clouds atop the surface of the brew.

Smell - Fruit and malt scents are obvious in the aroma. There is a distinguishable cherry that I'm expecting to really control the flavor.

Taste - Too much fruit and not enough malt in this brew. It moves into a very strong cherry after starting with subtle malt in its beginning.

Mouthfeel - Smooth beer to the mouth and a sweet aftertaste that lingers on for... well it's been a 1/2 hour and it's still going strong.

~ To me this is a good after dinner drink or desert type beer. Even for breakfast perhaps? Not the type I look forward to indulging in again.

08-20-2007 03:22:58 | More by cdkrenz
longarm

Maryland

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours dark and cloudy amber. Little to no carbonation. Not exactly the most inviting appearance, but I have no idea how to compare it with others.

Strong fruity aroma...mostly cherries. Spices noticeable in the background akin to nutmeg/mace. This smells like a nice winter seasonal.

Sweetish but not cloying initial hit of flavor hits the palate. Cherries and/or raspberries balanced with fair amount of malt combines for a delectable beer. I'm drinking it on a cool Summer afternoon, but it tastes just as good as I suspect it would on a cool Winter evening. Something (unclear) helps give it a clean finish, but not hops which stay away from this party.

Mouthfeel a little more spritzy than most beers, but it maintains a decent balance of malt and spices and has a relatively dry finish.

A solid and drinkable beer (but not a session beer). I can taste/smell reasons for the name, since it's hard to pin it down. Still I'd love to enjoy more offerings like this one and you have to applaud the New Glarus spirit and talent for pushing the edges of the envelope yet again.

Surprisingly it also matches quite well with a mild baby swiss.

08-19-2007 20:15:27 | More by longarm
udubdawg

Kansas

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle

well now here was a unique experience!

Pours a murky looking brown with a little orange. Head is off white and very brief, and lacing minimal. Interesting.

The aroma seems quite tart at first, though I quickly get used to it and start to get more specific cherry fruitiness, and a lot of spice.

OK, the first sip I tasted made me immediately think of cider - sweet and tart in the front, cinnamon in the back. Of course I investigate further and aren't as sure, and then I don't see cinnamon in anyone else's review...In retrospect I think my palate wasn't used to it and my brain made some jumps here - fruity + sweet/tart = must be cider, and spicy + cider = must be cinnamon! After a few sips I wouldn't call it cinnamon, and I assume it is the wood that gives it this intoxicating spiciness.

But I digress - Whatever it is, it is undeniably good. Tart up front, sweet ripe fruit with lots of brown sugar in the middle, and spicy at the end, with the sour reappearing in the aftertaste as my mouth is overwhelmed with a strong drying effect. This stuff is sticky too.

I wish I knew how old this was. I bought it a mere month or so ago at the New Glarus gift shop, but I have no idea when it was brewed.

Pretty drinkable. I doubt I'll have another tonite, but it won't be long before I get an urge to taste this interesting brew again. Really well done.

08-14-2007 23:06:08 | More by udubdawg
screwcitybeernut

Oregon

2.55/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

:::purchased from the New Glarus Brewery's gift shop:::

a::: Murky brown red - the color of my parent's old velvet couch. Had to pour from over a foot up just to encourage some head, which quickly dissipated.

s::: Very little aroma. From the description on the bottle, I was expecting some fruit, horse-funk, vinegar, sour, SOMETHING, but no, just a hint of alcohol and maybe a little wild yeast. Maybe it's my allergies, but I don't think so.

t::: I see what he's shooting for, but I don't think the brewmaster hit the mark. Like the aroma, very subdued. I guess you could say it's a "balanced beer," but I was expecting a little more strength. flavor, or oomph from a limited availability, super-premium brew like this.

m::: Thin, and sticky. Leaves the mouth very dry, which is to be expected.

d::: I guess I would have this again if I were in Wisconsin, eating some venison or beef jerky. Otherwise, no.

I love the New Glarus Brewery, but Enigma was not to my liking. I still suggest you go to the (impeccably clean) brewery and take the tour.

07-20-2007 22:19:37 | More by screwcitybeernut
stereosforgeeks

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance - A cloudy brown and orange color. Small head with little retention.

Smell - Raspberries, cherries, peaches & some earthy spices.

Taste - Sour. Raspberry flavor is prominent with the peach and cherries helping. There seems to be a smokiness and vanilla in there as well. It's a lot more complex than I can really describe.

Mouthfeel - Medium body and carbonation.

Drinkability - Where can I get more?

07-17-2007 18:16:52 | More by stereosforgeeks
TexIndy

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating system into a pint glass. The color was a cloudy reddish brown. It had almost no head and what was there quickly disappeared. The aroma was sour cherries with an oaky vanilla backbone. This age has aged a bit so the aroma was toned down. The taste also seemed mellowed out by time. It was good but missing the sour cherry bite that I love in these beers. Overall, glad I got to try it but wish I could've tied it when it was new. (3.5, RB, T, Y)

07-13-2007 23:28:39 | More by TexIndy
Wasatch

Utah

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks goes out to flyingbison for this brew.

Pours a cloudy dark amber/brownish color, nice carbonation, tiny fizzy off-white head, not much sticky lacing at all. The nose is tangy, mostly cherries, spices, and some caramel. The taste is very nice though, mostly malts, cherries/dark fruit, there's some bourbon going on as well, and some caramel. Medium body. Very drinkable, a nice little brew, would definitely drink another, glad to have had a chance to try it out.

07-11-2007 02:35:46 | More by Wasatch
gmcfarre

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Pours a dark ruby brown hazy unfiltered color with a minimal off-tan colored head. Lacing is minimal.

S - Puckering sweet sour cherries. Notes of wild yeast spiciness and fruitiness. Complex but tart cherries certainly dominate.

T - Mouth puckering cherry with strong acidic cider-like nature. Blend of tart fruit and wood-aged oakiness with yeast spiciness. So complex that it is very hard to describe and very unlike anything I've tried.

M - Smooth yet tartly puckering with a mild carbonation and slight touch of alcoholic zip.

D - So different it has to be tried if you can still get your hands on it. Still, its a sipper and not exactly mouth watering.

07-03-2007 22:54:51 | More by gmcfarre
Atron67

Wisconsin

A-poured a brown with redish tinges it was a foggish cloudy color/ had a tannish brown head, but the head didnt last long at all
S- can smell what comes across as toffee even though its a blend of fruits, im not sure exactly what im smelling beyond, cant really separate he scents
T- wow totally different than i was expecting, slightly juicy in content a sharp sweetness, its slightly tart, a little fruity
M- has a tartness that really balances the sweetness of the beer, good carbonation
D- the beer has a balance which makes it a pretty drinkable beer

07-03-2007 00:56:21 | More by Atron67
ejquin

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

appearance is a dirty brownish red with basically no head. Aroma is very pungent brett yeast heavy on the raspberry. Tastes of the brett with some raspberry sweetness the efervesces with the semi high carbonation. Alchohol remains in the background throughout and come close to pushing through, but never overwhelmed the beer to me. Slight oaky bourbon taste on finish. very interesting complex beer for a fruit beer, and it probably isn't for everyody.

I like most of New Glarus's beers, but thier fruit beers, while great, always toe the line to being too fruity for me. I like that enigma has the raspberry notes, but then is layered with the brett yeast, and the alcohol, and the bourbon notes. I think this beer is a very interesting experiment and is a nice break from the ordinary.

06-30-2007 00:58:28 | More by ejquin
benito

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

I was lucky to buy the final four pack of this on the shelves at Keyport in Superior. It is reddish brown with a creamy, persistent, thin head. Aromas are muted cherry, some flesh, and a little bourbon (though this was less dominant than what other reviewers have said to my nose). The flavors are a wonderful mix of cherry, alcohol, whisky, and wood.

The finish is surprisingly creamy, leaving an overall impression of a smooth (though hefty) brew. I might have liked this even better if the alcohol edge were less harsh at the end--it had a slightly hot character; nonetheless, it is still surprisingly drinkable given the strength.

Another highly recommended brew from New Glarus.

06-26-2007 05:23:10 | More by benito
BeerBelcher

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

I didn't really find this beer quite as exceptional as it is listed here. In fact, I found it not expectional at all...while I love sour, I did not find the sour in this beer to be particularly appealing. It is a sour cherry flavor, but the fruitiness was more of a rotting fruit than a pleasant fruitiness. Appearance was a red-brown with a soapy head. Mouthfeel was dry and astringent, and not bad.

This beer is not exceptional, but OK.

06-17-2007 03:28:22 | More by BeerBelcher
aforbes10

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Hazy and muddy-river brown. Almost no head. Very sour lambic and cherry odor. Some hints of vanilla. When cold, very sour cherry like Belgian Red but with more malt backbone and a little less sweet. As it warms, sourness becomes more lambic-like and horsey. Nicely tart and malty. Medium to full bodied. A very well-made beer, as should come as no surprize. I think they should have this one and their sour brown as regulars in their lineup.

06-13-2007 16:15:15 | More by aforbes10
KingG

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Received in a trade from jeffkrenner. Thanks goes out to him.

Served chilled and poured into my Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Appearance is good. Brick colored beer with a decent sized almond colored head that sits well on top. Little bit of lacing coats the sides.

Smell is very good. Live yeast, fruity esters and unripe, tart red cherries. Instantly mouth-watering.

Taste is good. Initial flavor of sweet cherries that finishes sour, tart, and clean. Flavor is not cloying at all. Nice balance of sweet and tart. Taste's much better as it warms.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium body. Carbonation is above-average. Slight acidic bite in the finish.

Drinkability is good. Another bottle would be welcome but i think that would be enough before i'd have to move on to something else.

Overall:
A very nice surprise. i didn''t know what to expect with this one but came away impressed. I think it's more of a Flanders Oud Bruin than a fruit/vege beer though. Recommended

06-11-2007 02:23:48 | More by KingG
kenito799

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Many thanks to Tizzod for sharing this retired brew with me.

Dark reddish brown with little to no head.

The aroma immeditely recalls an aged Burgundy rather than beer...however the dark tart cherry aroma is indentifiable as coming from real fresh cherries rather than the cherry scents found in wine made from pinot noir grapes. But the overall effect is aged, fruity, oaky, very much a wine-lover's beer. Delicious cinnamon notes as well.
Creamy mouthfeel meshes well with the style.
Taste is amazingly dry, somewhat surprising after smelling all that fruit. Mildly sour with some bitter cherry pit in the finish. Vanilla notes from the aok aging percolate throughout.
A fine beer, an honor to drink.

05-27-2007 16:55:55 | More by kenito799
Rennpferd

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

It poured murky copper brown, flat and with very little carbination.

It smells slightly malty, hints of herbs/spices and a slight scent of cherry.

Mild cherry at first, then a strong kick of spice. Medium bodied with a sweet cherry aftertaste.

The first sip was not so good, the second was way better. By the third sip I was very accustomed to it and found it very good.

It reminds me very much of Belgian Red on tap.

05-13-2007 08:42:06 | More by Rennpferd
joe1510

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz. Bottle
$8.99 4-Pack
Steve's Liquor Madison

Enigma poured a dirty murky amber. Looks like a good Belgian where you can just tell the beer is going to be deep and complex. A 1 finger loose tan head formed on the pour that quickly faded to a thick ring around the glass. Leaves some spotty lacing.

The smell has very noticeble hints of oak but the oak is musty and reminiscent of an oak tree laying on the forest floor with moss growing. That funkiness I'm sure is from the brett used to brew this beer. The real standout of the aroma is the big bursts of tart cherry. That funkiness winds through every aspect of the beer getting stronger and lighter throughout the smell.

Pleasant mellow oak starts things off but quickly falls to the background while a mix of sweet and tart cherries take over.That mustiness shows up as soon as the cherries do but then falls away until the finish where it makes it's triumphant puckering return.

Mouthfeel starts off coating and medium from the oak but quickly gets lighter as the cherries take over. Very nice transition. Finishes sprizty and light. Carbonation tickles the tongue.

The flavor is great but this definately is a sipper. One is enough for me but it is a heavenly one.

I'm pretty sure this is my first from New Glarus's Unplugged series and it's definately a winner. Unique in every aspect and a great sipper.

05-08-2007 23:59:29 | More by joe1510
yinzer

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

appearance: small to no head. Murky muddy swamp copper.

smell: oak, hint of brett and sweet cherry/raspberry. Wow a bit of cinnamon coming out now. I think I started too cold. I’m noticing that a still glass is sweet but if you swill it the complexly come out. Oh, D’er.

taste: sweet cherry followed by oak tones. Not really much funky flavors but it's a bit tart in the follow through.

mouthfeel: A bit light as it should be. The sweetness in the taste isn’t ending as being cloying at all.

drinkability: Rates high on the fun to drink scale. It is sweet but I’d say very blanced.

05-07-2007 02:58:43 | More by yinzer
kajerm

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Tastes from a bottle or two at DL day 2007. Like a lot of the stuff I tasted that day, I don't know exactly who to thank for this gem, so I'll just thank the Canadian guy who was roaming around offering growler pours of Founders Backwoods Bastard again.

Pours cloudy, brown, and headless, with a very slight reddish cast.

The aroma is light brett, mixed acids, and a little bit of cherries. I guessed this was a flemish sour (which is what ratebeer calls it), but it's definitely a fruit beer too, although not nearly as much of one as some of the others that New Glarus puts out.

The sourness is even lighter than I would have guessed from the aroma, but it's nice in that it lets the other flavors shine through. A little bit vinous, with some nondescript spice flavor.

Mouthfeel is thinnish and lightly tart; this is pretty refreshing, even though it's a little warm.

Like a lot of other lighter sour beers, there's nothing in this beer to stop you from drinking ten of them (other than the availability)-- drinkability is awesome.

05-06-2007 20:17:36 | More by kajerm
tavernjef

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Ruddy reddish brown, quite opaque, fizzy, light head of tiny whitened foam. Nice lacing in unique patterns of tight circled holes within a small sheeting effect across the glass face.

Aroma is a light mixture of tart cherry and red grapes. Softly hazed by a earthy plum and soured candy sugars.

Taste is boomng with a fair tart snap, yet rounded and lightly fizzy enough for a full duration of quitely placed sourness and earthyness of cherry, grape, and lemon. Becomes a bit more more green grapey as it sits and blends into an almost wine-like quality. The subtle play of earth tones are quite unique with both a twiggy/woodish play touching some floral hints of petal oils. The tartness is very nice, earthy dirty lemon, lime, and cherry hit with a fineness and care to the palate that oothes off into a ever so faint dryness. Yes...OOthes...

Mouthfeel is zingy and fresh with a greatly well rounded tone of tartness and sourness blending together to make for a nice little brazen sip and dance on the tongue every chance it can. Leaves a delicate lemony, cherry tart, earthy dryness floating about as it squeezes the last simpleness of the fruits out as if sucking on the stem or peel themselves.

A wonderfully zingy, fruity, earthy little brew the Enigma is. New Glarus has taken the Belgian Red And Raspberry Tart and turned that style into another snappy, fun drink to behold. Yum!

05-04-2007 01:49:28 | More by tavernjef
northernbrews

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks Westsidethreat for this wonderful beer. This is my first New Glarus beer.

Appearance: Pours a 1/2 inch off-white head into my snifter. The body is orangish brown with slight red highlights on the edges.

Aroma: There are alot of different aroma's going on with this one. Starts with whiskey, oak and cherry notes. Rustic brett flavors and some other funky notes start to creap in...this is quite nice...the finish has some winey notes.

Taste: This starts with some slight tartness, followed by malts to balance out the cherry and oak notes. The tartness hangs around for a bit as more oak and whiskey flavors come through in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Starts with a nice creamy head with the tartness and oak hanging around on the roof of my mouth. This is a tad thin, but that's similar to what I have experienced with other similar beers.

Drinkability: There is a nice balance of oak, cherries, and rustic flavors. I could easily down a few more of these. Too bad this is my only bottle. Hopefully I can trade for a few more of these in the future.

Overall: This is a very nice offering from one of my most sought after breweries. I'd love to try this next to some of the Jolly Pumpkin and Rodenbach beers. Hopefully New Glarus will make this again, and more importantly start distributing to MI. Since either of these will unlikely happen anytime soon, La Roja from JP will hold me over. I can't see this getting much better over time....just maybe more tart.

04-25-2007 01:47:25 | More by northernbrews
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Serve in 12oz tulip.

Pours a murky, muddy light brown with a red tinge. Some soapy bubbles form a ring, and quickly drop, leaving a lifeless looking beer. Looks downright disgusting.

Smells like sour cherries.

Taste is not nearly as funky (sour lactic) as I was expecting, the sour cherry is quite pleasing. I can even taste some malt and hops in there. Very nice vanilla notes. Finish is smooth.

Full bodied, and not prickly at all. I think this is what allows the malt to have a presence.

Drinkability is high for me. I love this style of beer, but I usually find that 1 is more than enough. Not the case here, I could drink several of these in a row. Alcohol level seems quite moderate too.

The ugliest beer I've ever drank, but as far as sour beers go, this has to be my personal favourite. Everything is kept in check (sweetness, sourness, acidity), but still remains complex. Thanks Demcorhip!

04-21-2007 21:38:21 | More by markaberrant
marcobrau

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a murky red-brown with a lot of carbonation, but the foam settles down pretty quick, leaving a thin layer and collar of bubbles. My nose is greeted by a wonderful sour cherry pie aroma laced with cinnamon and allspice...wow!. Some lactic-phenolic notes...holy crap...awesome aroma!!

Hmm...this beer tastes complex and a bit mysterious (hence the name I suppose). Sweet and sour cherries to start, a dry middle with some woody character and then cherries again, laced with spices...but in a sort of sublte way. Rather attenuated, but the body isn't too weak and the mouthfeel is smooth. This beer reminds me a little bit of Rodenback Alexander (R.I.P.), but my memory could be failing me.

Overall, a very tasty beer. I like this beer because it doesn't hit you over the head with fruit as much as the brewery's Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart. The finish is somewhat dry and tart which makes you want more...wow...this is a great beer and the best of brewer Dan Carey's Unplugged Series yet.

04-08-2007 02:48:07 | More by marcobrau
Vancer

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

This one started off just fine, deep amber with a frothy ivory head. And the cherry aroma was good too, but, there is something different about this guy. Sour and funky, this was a wild and crazy guy of a brew. A sour mash cherry bourbon brew, without the alcohol.

Tart and tangy, this is one wild brew with funky aftertaste.

04-08-2007 00:37:36 | More by Vancer