1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Coffee Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

Coffee StoutCoffee Stout

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffee Stout Alström Bros

biniek13, Nov 16, 2011

jkrgrs, Nov 19, 2011

KC9LDB, Mar 02, 2013

mrsdrabmuh, Nov 22, 2011
4.94/5  rDev +26.7%

I hate stouts, absolutely hate them. But, this beer was awesome! In full disclosure, I just opened a 2012-2013 Coffee Stout that I had stored in my beer refrigerator since last season. It didn't miss a beat. I don't drink coffee anymore, but this beer has the perfect mixture of coffee flavor and beer qualities. They didn't over-do the "coffee-ness" like so many other brewers do when making a coffee beer. I enjoy almost all NG beers, especially their fruit beers. I like to think they are the best at flavored beers in general, and their normal beers aren't far behind. Cheers!

WettNutz, Feb 23, 2014
4.94/5  rDev +26.7%

This is the best stout beer I have ever had.

Just took a road trip up to New Glarus WI and picked up a case of this brew (and a couple others) on me and my wife's wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, they didn't have it on tap there for tasting, but I figured I would like it just the same, and boy was I right!

This brew is best slightly chilled, but not too cold, because you want to be able to fully taste the flavor potential this beer has to offer. It is perhaps a little on the tame side of things, almost enough to make this a session beer, but what it has comes together perfectly. The mark of a true quality beer is the 10 second rule. Take a swig, wait 10 seconds, and then what you taste after that is the mark of quality. Initial flavor (including scent) is smooth, dark malt, slightly sweet, and slightly bitter and smoky with a little coffee and hints of chocolate and caramel. But, wait 10 seconds and it hits you. Whatever it is, I'm unable to fully describe, but to try, in two word: delicious satisfaction. Try the brew, let it linger a moment, and you'll know what I mean. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you.

There isn't really any one specific thing that makes this brew stand out to me. However, it seems just about the perfect balance of everything that makes a stout of this caliber good, excluding perhaps the over-dramatization and intensity of some other offerings. (Just be done with it and become a chilli pepper head, or something, if that's what you're after... Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Even from the bottle, chilled, but not cold, I can not recommend this beer too much. Get one (or preferably several) now.

Mine was poured into a New Glarus flute-like pint glass that I got from the brewery's sampling garden.

Wrend, May 05, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +25.6%

jaquins, Sep 04, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: This brew poured with a one-finger, khaki head atop a DARK brown -- nearly pitch-black -- body. Carbonation is moderate, but apparent, which is fine for this fairly inclusive style. Looks appetizing.

Smell: Nice. Like a lightly sweetened, iced coffee, of some dark-roasted variety. I also detect a hint of creamy vanilla and some faint caramel essence...mmm.

Taste: WHAAAT? This is the best-tasting coffee stout I've ever tried (and I've had the likes of Founders Breakfast Stout, Founders KBS, and Dark Lord [which I may or may not consider a "coffee stout"]). This is like a GREAT iced coffee with a really good stout beer behind it. Lightly sweet, very pleasantly roasted, and generally stellar. I want more!

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick body, but lighter than most "big" stouts. Carbonation is, as indicated above, moderate...but that works well with the moderate body. Coats the palate like an iced coffee would. More than any other beer I've tried, this one emulates a chilled coffee drink. Wonderful.

Drinkability: In contrast to most coffee stouts, New Glarus Coffee Stout keeps the ABV at a manageable level (5.75%), which means two 12-ounce bottles wouldn't be impossible to handle. Personally, I think I could drink three or four of these in a sitting, with the only potential ill effect being a stomachache due to the coffee itself! Refreshing and hearty at the same time, this beer could be enjoyed during all seasons. Magnificent!

Holy cow, what a revelation! HIGHLY recommended...and among my favorite stouts of all time!

UGADawgGuy, May 04, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

This is the best coffee beer I've had so far.

The appearance is dark brownish red with a thin tan head that recedes quickly.

It smells like iced coffee and chocolate, with a hint of maltiness and roast.

This is an absolutely great tasting beer. The coffee isn't overpowering, it's a perfect balance. Chocolate and malt mix well with the coffee.

The carbonation was perfect for this beer, made it very creamy in the mouth and played well with the coffee taste

I could drink this all night, very good beer that I highly recommend.

pphunkdelux, Feb 15, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

Once again I would like to state my eternal gratitude to Joe and Cheryl Schmit for bringing me back a mixed six-pack sampler of New Glarus beers. I am thoroughly enjoying them.

A: Pours a deep, dark brown - so deep that only the edges give a hint of its not completely black color. No light passes through the center of the glass. Heck, it barely passes through the edges. Pouring produced a fingers worth of tan head that dissipated but still laced through out the event.

S: Once it got up to the proper temperature, in addition to the hearty malt/chocolate aroma of a good stout this has an additional shot of robust coffee.

T: To say that the taste follows the smell would be accurate but would feel like an understatement. The taste is incredible. Roasted malts, chocolate, rich coffee all in balance. A hint of sweetness - perhaps vanilla - to round it off. Very nice!

M: Balanced carbonation compliments the medium to heavy body well.

D: Very drinkable. And at only 5.75% ABV I find myself wishing I had more than one bottle of this to enjoy. It would be easy to drink more than one of these at a sitting but I am happy with savoring just one. I allowed this to run the gambit from cold where the flavors just start to come out to about 50 degrees where the senses revel in the complexities. This is a very good beer. Highly recommended.

BobbyBeerman, Aug 10, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +22.6%

This is one pours well. Deep dark stout, nice light creamy foam. Guinness like. Looks well crafted. The foam sicks well to the glass.

Awesome smell. Quite possibly the most intense oily smell. Not overly roasted, not using cheap Folgers quality, smells like good coffee. This leads to high expectations...

Warmed up, this is really tasty. Some fruity esters & earthy tones. Dry, medium bodied. A session beer for sure. Malty. Has a nice balance between a stout and a coffee beverage. Long on coffee flavor but not overwhelming. A little flat, but probably from sitting around too long.

Good mouthfeel, not too thick and heavy. Still needs a little more carbonation.

I could drink these all day, except that it's coffee.

Dotcubed, May 31, 2009
4.76/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a almost black with a slight cola brown on the edges.

Smell is coffee, chocolate with a sweet frosting and roasted smell

Taste follows the nose, starting with a sweet Coffee, Chocolate and finishing with bitter roastyness and espresso.

Mouthfeel is rather soft and silky but with a decent amount carbonation

Wow I almost always love every NG beer they put out for us here in WI, but this one is a step above most, If you are a Coffee beer fan either Trade for it or if you are here in WI then just buy it!

nickapalooza86, Jan 20, 2013