Coffee Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

Coffee StoutCoffee Stout

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffee Stout Alström Bros

spoonhawk, Nov 23, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

dav2080, Mar 11, 2012

astrobomb, Jan 08, 2012

Kyrojack, Apr 20, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -46.2%

A very disappointing beer from New Glarus. I really want to like this. I wanted to like it the last time it was released. I’ve tried it over and over again but to no avail. I just have to admit that this beer is simply no good.

Darkish brown with a bubbly but short lasting brown head that dissipates to nothing in a less than a minute. Thin looking. Aroma of iron, stale weak coffee, oats and malt. Front is a blast of stale coffee, middle has some weak roasted malts that seem a bit off, finish is metallic and down right nasty. Light bodied and watery. If this had been released in July as some sort of Summertime stout, that would have been one thing but now? When it’s 35 below (It really was yesterday) I don’t want to be drinking a watery stout, especially one that tastes somewhat nasty.

DaPeculierDane, Feb 06, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

MinorThreat, Jun 18, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

Hopstout, Jan 11, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

sjrodriguez, Aug 14, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours to an extremely dark, deep black color. Thick head, which is lasting. Lace is present through out the glass. Flavor is heavy on malt. There is a coffee aroma and flavor which is also present, but it is the roasted malt which dominates this drink. This beer is very on the palate, as you would expect from this style and its appearance.
No Freshness date on bottle.

BobLuvBeer, Jun 28, 2003
2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Thanks to my good friend KeefD for a chance to try this beer from a great Wisconsin Brewery.

Here is the review....somewhat excited here on St. Pats Day to drink only stouts...Yeah!

A - Very nice. Dark Brown to almost Black. Appears thinner than most stouts but the taste will tell for sure. Small white bubbles with some lacing present. Overall, very good.

S - Mmmm Dark black coffee present. Very clean. Smells like quality coffee was used in brewing this beer. Reminds me of a Surly coffee bender in smell only. Very different looking though than the coffee bender. Rich malt with little hops present. I like it.

T - And now for the all important taste. Bitter...very Bitter taste. Sort of like a burnt coffee flavor. Not as mellow as the Bells Java Stout. It is hard to place but...really not my favorite. I am very surprised at what this coffee tastes like compared to the smell that was noticed. I was expecting something completely different. Sort of 1 dimentional. Not complex at all for a stout. And I was right....very thin tasting. Not thick. Somewhat disappointed.

M - For a stout, thin in appearance and taste. Coats....no not really. Chewey...no again. Did I mention that this stout is thin? Yes I did. Again, not impressed. Sorry New Glarus.

D - If I was going on the smell alone, I would purchase and drink by the case load but the taste counts and this will not be purchased again. For around the same price, give me a Sierra Nevada Stout any day!!!

And I thought I had a winner here. Just not meant to be. Sorry.

schellsbeer, Mar 18, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Pretty thin for a stout...not a strong coffee flavor....pours black with a little to no head...some darker malt scents on the nose...taste is more like a dry stout (a thin one)..Personally, I'm not a big fan of overpowering coffee taste in the coffee stouts but this one is a little too soft...and I can't get past the watery mouthfeel...It feels more like a Stout Light...with that said, it is a bad beer by any means but just doesn't have the qualities I expected...

ZAP, May 25, 2002
2.73/5  rDev -30%

Extra thanks to ThomasHardy for providing this extra.

A: Pours a deep black with ruby highlights. A bubbly and porous foamy head is gradually eaten by lots of carbonation. Moderate lacing.

S: Strange vegetal/corn smell that just isn't right for a stout. Hints of chocolate.

T: Light taste with earthy notes and flavors of chocolate, coffee, and lactose.

M: Thin and watery with light carbonation - surprising given the activity from the pour.

D: Decent, and perhaps a good session stout, but I'm less than impressed.

klewis, Mar 22, 2007
2.79/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

A - Poured a jet black with a beautiful creamy head, nice residual lacing.

S - Light toasted notes, vanilla, and coffee

T - The coffee flavor was very hidden and underwhelming, I thought it might improve as the beer warmed up but I only got more vanilla as the beer warmed.

M - Very thin for a stout, I almost felt that I was drinking a Porter.

O - If this beer was billed as a Vanilla Porter, I would have given it better marks, but instead I ended up being very disappointed, and sad to say this was the first craft beer I poured down the drain. Coffee stouts are one of my favorite styles and unfortunately this beer fell flat for me. I have great respect for NG, especially their fruit beers, maybe this was a bad bottle and a second try will be better.

NSK79, Feb 18, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours pitch black with a HUGE three finger tan head. WOW. Lacing looks pretty good from here, nice spiderweb effect going

S- it almost smells like a brown ale...hints of coffee and chocolate, but I'm primarily getting a nose of cola out of it. Huh?

T- really...sweet. But not really chocolate sweet...cola sweet. It tastes really artificial...not at all what I expected

M- a little thin. Blah

D- I think I got an old bottle here. It doesn't taste at all like a stout...reminds me more of a brown ale. I need to hunt down another bottle

NOTE FROM 2/8: tried another bottle. Either I got another bad one, or this beer just isn't too good. Real disappointing

bigfnjoe, Jan 09, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a medium brown with a thin tan head. No real lacing and a bit light in color for my liking.

S-Roasted mild coffee and a bit of chocolate. A bit light in the nose.

T-Sweet malt, light milk chocolate notes and little to no coffee. Disappointing.

M-Thin and a bit watery.

D-Nothing special. My first loser from NG.

HV

sholland119, Mar 25, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Thanks to pitmonkey for the extra. Unfortunately, I am not a coffee drinker and not a big fan of it either hence the lower ranking. Poured from bottle into a tulip glass. The pour is a dark brown color with a rather thin tan colored head. The nose offers up a decent stout aroma with notes of sweet caramel and roasted malts with a slight acidity. Picks up some coffee. There’s some nice roast and nutty qualities to the flavor with the same caramel sweetness. The body is the usual medium (maybe a touch on the thin side) with a moderate level of carbonation. Surprisingly easy to drink but not my style.

CuriousMonk, Apr 18, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Bottle poured Into snifter

A: pours very dark brown, almost black, with minimal light tan head and lacing

S: smells slightly of coffee and chocolate

T: not a really intense taste. A little roast but very bland taste. Nothing there. (Drank a little colder and a little warmer, did nothing for it)

M: lighter body, good amount of carbonation. A little dry on the finish

Overall: this brew is kind if a miss. There is not much taste to this one

trippytbta, Aug 11, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

I was a bit upset with this beer. Compared to other New Glarus brews this one is a dissapointment. It pours dark brown with a good 1/2" tan head that fades fast, and so does the rest of the experience. Only small hints of coffee were detectable in both the taste and smell, and for a stout it was awfully thin in the mouth. The one redeaming quility was how easily it went down. I will give it this though, it tasted more like coffee than the dark brown water I got at the local filling station the next morning.

zodiacv1, Aug 20, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

Hmmm, smells like cold coffee, tastes like cold coffee, but is a bit thinner than cold coffee. On the bright side it has alcohol in it. Ok, that may be a bit harsh. It does taste like coffee, so they did a good job of that. Roasted malt and a bit of sweetness make it a fair beer. Could use a bit more head, and alot more mouthfeel.

Sixpack595, Dec 17, 2003
2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a very dark brown with a nice quarter inch head that quickly recedes back into the beer.
Nose is coffee and all coffee. Not some pleasant smelling espresso or mocha, but pure black coffee. It smells just like a cold cup of coffee left out overnight.
Taste is pretty much the same. However at this point I can tell the coffee is deeply roasted or burnt.
Mouthfeel is very thin. I would not call this a stout by any means. This is at most a coffee porter. That I can live with.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 24, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Review from backlog

A - Pours a surprisingly thin opaque brown-black hue, and is capped with a filmy off-white head. Though it does not look bad, nothing about this beer, aside from color, suggests Stout to me.

S - The nose has a bit of coffee, and perhaps some mineral-y malt underlying. I do not get any significant roast, or much of anything at all; the coffe is even very subdued for my palate. There are a number of Stouts that have almost no aroma (Guinness draft, for one...) so I am not terribly distressed by the mildness.

T - The taste is a little closer to disappointing; it really tastes okay, but it does not taste as advertised by its moniker. There is coffee, sure, a bit of it, but it is quite mild. Stout? Where? I am not really getting Stout here. The body isn't there, nor the roast, or the depth either. If this were called 'Coffee Brown Ale' I'd be much happier with it. In fact, now that I think about it, this tastes like Fat Squirrel with coffee added.

M - Too thin to be called Stout.

O - I am hung up on this misnomer, but the brew is decent, though quite underwhelming.

ktrillionaire, May 31, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

Bottle poured into a New Glarus pint glass. Appearance was good, dark with a caramel color head that didn't recede quickly. Had a sort of off-putting smell. Not quite coffee, not quite beer, not at all stout. Taste was interesting, strong coffee, but not much stout. Mouthfeel was poor, super thin with way too much carbonation.

Drinkability was average, I don't know that I would drink it again, but I know some people would like it.

deadbody, Jan 21, 2011