Coffee Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

Coffee StoutCoffee Stout

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffee Stout Alström Bros
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

3.95/5  rDev +1%

This beer pours a black color, with very little head, that disapated very quickly. There is a coffe aroma but it is weak. The taste starts malty, then the coffee flavors show up at the end. A nice strong overall flavor, but lacking just a bit of the coffee. Overall a real nice taste, and nice blend with the coffee, it isnt over powering, its overall pretty good, and would have another.

02-14-2011 02:07:37 | More by vette2006c5r
pokesbeerdude

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks goes out to levifunk for this 12oz bottle. Into a DFH signature glass.

A: Pours a very deep brown, verging on black with a khaki colored head about half an inch thick that recedes quite quickly to an island of bubbles in the center of the glass. A few clingy spots of lacing. Nice looking beer.

S: Initially, I get a wet dog smell but that fades quickly into a nice nutty coffee flavor. The coffee flavor is more of a lighter roast from the smell. Underneath that is a decent note of milk chocolate. Not too bad but the wet dog note I get at first is just weird.

T: Nice coffee flavor, quite roasty and nutty. Underneath the awesome coffee note are some notes of chocolate as well. Just a touch of bitterness at the back end, but this is pretty sweet as a whole. I'm really enjoying the coffee notes here, everything balances and works very well here. I'll go ahead and round up on my 4.25 score in my mind. Very nice.

M: Maybe a little bit on the thin side in the mouth for me. Finishes fairly sweet. Carbonation is right where I like it.

D: If I had a six pack of this, I would have no problems drinking it in one sitting, as this has a lot of the notes that i really enjoy in an imperial stout toned down to a single stout. Very nicely done, minus the wet dog smell in the nose.

02-13-2011 02:56:21 | More by pokesbeerdude
mcgwire756

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Pours black with some amber hues. Similar to regular coffee. Had a 1 finger white/brown head. The smell is the best part of this beer with sweet/burnt sugar and coffee overtones that are so appealing. The taste was more of the same, however for a beer that is less than 6%, I found it a bit harsh on the palate. It seemed a little off balance between the coffee and the malts. I was expecting it to be silky smooth and it was not. I did enjoy this beer, however I would probably lean towards some other coffee stouts especially since this one is not easily accessible for me.

02-12-2011 16:50:24 | More by mcgwire756
GDBEERMAN

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz into 6.75oz tasting glass, from notes.
A: At first glance, there is much to light of a SRM, than I would expected for a Stout. The body shows good amounts of carbonation, while having an uncertain clarity. The khaki head pours with vigor and holds with light head retention and leaves wispy lace.

S: Nice medium intensity aroma of a complex layer of malts, chocolate and black. A nice hint of the dark side. Coffee is subtle and perfectly balanced with other flavors. Good aroma, with a nice sweet tone on the finish that is very pleasant.

T/M: Nice full flavor, while still keeping the body light. Good malts undertones with a nice well rounded sweetness. Intermediate flavors of nice roasted prolonged taste. Good light mouthfeel that is creamy at points. Coffee again is present, but not intrusive. Cold steeping (which is the method NG uses) is the way to go to get these nice sweet coffee flavors without being bitter and astringent. Overall good stout, but a little weak on the body.

D: This would be one that I would recommend to others, the flavors are key and the drinkability is great. Slight deduction of points due to the light body, which would in turn bring the drinkability up.

02-10-2011 16:12:37 | More by GDBEERMAN
bwiechmann

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a pint glass at slightly below room temperature.

A- Billowing tan head sits atop a very deep brown brew. Some reddish hues on the edges. Very attractive brew on a cold winter night.

S- Coffee predominates as one might assume. Not overwhelming and the roasted malts play a nice second fiddle. Some slight sweetness is also noted.

T- Lots of coffee here, beautiful amounts of dark roasted coffee grounds are the prominent feature. A slightly distracting mild lactic sourness knocks this down from a 4.5 but is growing on me as with each sip.

M- Great mouthfeel. Very smooth which aids in drinkability. A titch light but it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyability.

D- An all around great beer for the coffee lover. Drink at around room temperature and be ready for a treat.

02-08-2011 02:36:15 | More by bwiechmann
dhannes

4.53/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A=Perfect--rich, very dark reddish brown/black with a good inch head that lasted several minutes.

S=Like a mocha with sugar and milk, with malt...mmmm.

T=Overall, very good...most sips were a dark, rich, coffee malted...more like a really strong, iced mocha...but with malt, hops and alcohol. A few sips in the middle seemed watered down for some reason...aftertaste reminded me of smoked sausage.

M=Very nice...would have preferred a bit thicker.

D=The lack of thickness helped, as did the light carbonation...the richness makes this one that would be hard to drink more than one at a time...but easier than many other stouts.

This is the first New Glarus product that I've truly enjoyed and could see myself buying in a pinch. Tried to make a Black and Tan with the Little King Cream Ale, but did not get separation...still, the combo was very nice.

01-28-2011 03:31:16 | More by dhannes
thetomG

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown color with a thin layer of tan head - good amount of spotty lacing left all around the glass.

Pleasant roasted coffee aromas up front, with more standard stout aspects following. Flavor has a bit of coffee at first,but this is a bit fleeting leaving you wanting more. The mouthfeel is a bit thin,but drinkability is decent.

OK beer, but no where near the best coffee stout I've had. Worth trying though...

01-22-2011 06:01:12 | More by thetomG
SiepJones

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours a deep brown, which is very dark with very little visibility through it. An inch and a half of off white head sit on top of this beer.

S: Smells like bitter roasted coffee beans with some hints of vanilla.

T: Roasted malt on the front of this flavor. What really surprised me was the lingering finish. It begins as a bitterness of roasted malt and coffee beans but finishes with a dark fruit sweetness and a little bit of nuttiness. It is very pleasing.

M: Full bodied, and very creamy due to the carbonation. This beer has a nice long finish.

D: I know this doesn't fit the traditional definition of a "Session" ale I think this beer is very sessionable. I really enjoyed the flavor and it didn't exhaust my palate. I could drink quite a few of these.

01-21-2011 04:30:17 | More by SiepJones
deadbody

2.98/5  rDev -23.8%

Bottle poured into a New Glarus pint glass. Appearance was good, dark with a caramel color head that didn't recede quickly. Had a sort of off-putting smell. Not quite coffee, not quite beer, not at all stout. Taste was interesting, strong coffee, but not much stout. Mouthfeel was poor, super thin with way too much carbonation.

Drinkability was average, I don't know that I would drink it again, but I know some people would like it.

01-21-2011 00:10:46 | More by deadbody
edmonan

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours an opaque nutty brown, with a finger of loose, dark tan, head. It was served too cold, but after about 15 minutes the aromas and flavours were released. The aroma is a nice balance of the basic coffee and malty notes. I appreciated that the alcohol fumes don't bludgeon you like some beers of this style. The flavours share a similar balance. Overall, it leans to the sweet side
It has the creamy feel you'd expect from a stout. All in all a refined example of the style.

01-16-2011 22:15:45 | More by edmonan
leakyfaucet12

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

The looks to this beer was just average to me. The body is pretty dark and the head was near white and left within a couple minutes. With my stout I really look for a good head retention. The smell was delicious chocolatey coffee fills the nose and alot of malt hit you right away. THe best thing about the beer in my opinion. THe taste was good but not a ton of flavor. I would expect more. The mouthfeel hit me as a little light with tons of carbonation. Almost the mouthfeel of a lager or ale. The drinkability of this one is high. I have come to realize I rate the drinkibility on if I can drink a bunch of it, and with this beer I can but I kinda dont want that in my stouts. I enjoy thick filling stouts.

01-14-2011 02:24:23 | More by leakyfaucet12
billab914

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone RIS glass. It poured dark brown in color with a full and creamy head filling the top inch of the glass. The head settled to a thin layer after a minute or so, but remained there through drinking it. It left some nice lacing as I drank it as well.

The aroma has a sweet and creaminess to it along with some roasty coffee peeking through. I get bit of vanilla out of it as well. As it warmed the coffee got a little bolder which helped offset the sweet and creamy flavor.

The taste shows a malty sweetness throughout the flavor. I get a bit of a creamy, almost sugary sweetness to it as you get to the finish. The coffee shows through and adds some roasty bitterness mostly in the finish. I get an unexpected cherry and apple like fruit flavor in it as well as a hint of smoke in the finish. As it warmed those fruit flavors I first got seem to fade behind the coffee. Pretty good flavor overall.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style with carbonation being on the lower side. The frothy head gives it a pretty nice creamy texture as well.

Drinkability is pretty good, I liked it but it was different then I expected. The sweetness reminded me of a milk stout a bit. The coffee was fairly light compared to most coffee stouts, but added some nice bitter and roasted notes to the sweetness in the finish. Pretty solid beer overall.

01-14-2011 01:44:47 | More by billab914
duffcalifornia

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep mahogany, almost black, just barely able to see light through it, with a light tan head about one finger high, which faded fairly quickly but remnants remained around the edges throughout the glass, providing decent lacing.

S: Smelled equal parts coffee, chocolate malts, and cola (??)

T: Tasted like a cold coffee with just a touch too little sugar in it (for my tastes), with malt characteristics on the back end.

M: Medium-thin to medium, with slight carbonation. Seems a bit thinner than a traditional stout.

D: Very easy going and extremely sessionable at 5.5 ABV. Could easily have a few of these in an evening.

01-10-2011 04:07:17 | More by duffcalifornia
bigfnjoe

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours pitch black with a HUGE three finger tan head. WOW. Lacing looks pretty good from here, nice spiderweb effect going

S- it almost smells like a brown ale...hints of coffee and chocolate, but I'm primarily getting a nose of cola out of it. Huh?

T- really...sweet. But not really chocolate sweet...cola sweet. It tastes really artificial...not at all what I expected

M- a little thin. Blah

D- I think I got an old bottle here. It doesn't taste at all like a stout...reminds me more of a brown ale. I need to hunt down another bottle

NOTE FROM 2/8: tried another bottle. Either I got another bad one, or this beer just isn't too good. Real disappointing

01-09-2011 02:18:11 | More by bigfnjoe
mondegreen

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz into an Ommegang Tulip. Bottled on 10/21/10.

Pours a murky brown with a small off white head. Decent lacing.

Aroma of malts and coffee. Restrained, but appropriate for style/ABV.

Taste is sweet and roasty. I would call this an understated, yet enjoyable Coffee Stout.

Feels rich due to good carbonation. Drinks easily - very approachable coffee beer.

01-08-2011 22:39:45 | More by mondegreen
beerdown77

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

I didn't take down any notes while having this one, so I will be going off memory...which I realize is slightly unfair. However, I wouldn't have a lot to say about this even if I did have notes. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I just do not prefer coffee stout. It poured black and had a coffee and chocolate smell and taste. I remember that it took me a while to get it down, so I wasn't loving it. It was more bitter than sweet. I think this needs to be consumed with some sort of dessert to really appreciate it.

01-08-2011 22:25:39 | More by beerdown77
Mebuzzard

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

This is perhaps the most drinkable coffee stout I've had. It's low(er) abv and less robust-ness makes this a nice, easy drinking coffee beer.

Pours dark brown with ruby mixed in. Off white foamy head, not as dense as some other stouts, but makes it look all that more coffee-ish.

Well, coffee in the nose. Sharp rather than robust. A bit of nuttiness and cocoa if I think about it. this transfers to the flavors as well. Coffee dominates but is not overpowering. Not as 'thick' as most coffee stouts I've had, and not as coffee-ground-ish as others. This would be a great brunch beer, imho.

Fantastic drinking.

01-08-2011 22:06:52 | More by Mebuzzard
uwmgdman

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

This stout pours nearly black with a faint garnet glow and a thick, sticky tan head. The aroma is moderately roasty with obvious coffee along with hints of chocolate. The flavor is moderately malty deliciously bittersweet with roast coffee flavor. The finish is just a bit dry with pleasantly lingering roast coffee. The body is medium and carbonation moderate. Overall a well planned, well crafted brew that can be drunk for eternity.

01-08-2011 04:23:32 | More by uwmgdman
KBomb

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Black body, tan head, good appearance. Smell is restrained with an expected blend of roasted malt and a touch of coffee. Taste is excellent: rich roasted stout flavor balanced very well against the splash of coffee. The flavors are super smooth. Just a tiny bit of chocolaty aftertaste gives the beer a third dimension of flavor. Mouthfeel isn't sticky but does have a bit of chew. Goes down nice and easy.

I think the best way to sum up this beer's excellence is to observe that a lot of other breweries would try and pour this into a bomber and sell it to you at a premium price. New Glarus offers it at its standard price point in their usually affordable six-packs. Another masterpiece from Dan and Deb!

01-06-2011 21:35:40 | More by KBomb
portlandjeff

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours from the bottle a deep brown color, almost black in the thickest parts of the pour, and taking on a rich brown on the sides with highlights of burnt sienna. A fair amount of carbonation is evident as a creamy beige head rises up the glass. The head is mostly small, soft, creamy bubbles, but it's punctuated here and there by a few larger ones. From an arms length, it looks uniform in color, but a closer inspection reveals darker brown lowlights in the places where the bubbles have popped and the resulting liquid pools before it finds it's way back down through the remaining foam and into the darkness below. In the glass, the beer itself is very dark. When held to the light, only the edges of the glass allow any light through, but in these red brown edges, the color is very clean and crisp - not muddy as one might expect from how little light escapes it.

At first the nose is quite subdued. It's light and dry, and the first thing I can pick out is just simply "roasted". Digging my nose into the glass further, I began to pick up more distinct notes of brown sugar, cinnamon, cocoa, and finally coffee. This doesn't smell like an "in your face" coffee beer, but rather a nice dry stout that has been accented with coffee.

The taste follows the nose well, although the coffee is a little bit more evident here. As I suspected, this is a stout first, and a coffee beer second. The coffee flavors are obviously present, but they are there to add to something, not dominate it. Compared to other examples, this beer is light and crisp in taste, with no over-dominant cloying aspects. No heat is detected, and although the bottle doesn't list an ABV, anything over 4.5% that it might contain is well hidden. The finish is relatively dry, and there is a lingering malty aftertaste that isn't dissimilar from what one might experience after washing down a bite of pastry with a sip of unsweetened joe. Despite the addition of coffee, and labeled designation of "stout", this beer reminds me a bit of black butte porter, although a bit lighter and drier even.

The first thing I noticed about the mouthfeel of this beer is that it's a bit lighter and thinner than I would have expected, although looking back at my experience with the nose, I should have guessed. Decent carbonation helps add perceived body, and delivers the flavor of the beer well.

Drinkability is quite high. This is a well constructed stout in a more traditional form than many I've tried in recent years. The thinner body and relative dryness keep it refreshing and easy drinking, which is something that can be appreciated from time to time in a world of "imperial this" and "double thats".

01-05-2011 16:52:44 | More by portlandjeff
hawks10

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass...

Pours pretty much black with one finger of light tan head that recedes to a thin haze...

Rich, roasted coffee with just a touch of vanilla sweetness, pretty one-dimensional...

Like the nose, and as expected, coffee is the predominant flavor, although not as intense as in the nose. Roasted, with only a touch of bitterness, smooth but again, one-dimensional...

Thin, this beer could definitely benefit from more "substance", this beer needs some girth. Taste ends pretty abruptly leaving a slightly watery, dull finish with just a touch of lingering bitterness...

Admittedly, I am not a fan of American Stouts. This one delivered pretty much exactly what I was expecting, coffee in the nose and on the tongue. However, as most American Stouts do, the feel fell way short and it really takes so much away from the beer...

01-04-2011 06:59:55 | More by hawks10
djeucalyptus

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev +1%

pours a oily near-black void of much character or highlights. an impressive two-finger mocha head fades and leaves decent lacing.

aroma is definite earthy coffee roast, heavy dark malt, hints of vanilla. a touch of maple. more roasted coffee aromas. as it nears room temp, the coffee intensifies.

mouth is rich dark stout. heavy malt, roasty. bitter in a good way. coffee is subtle but present... really heavy on the roast. which I'm enjoying. Dark, rich, ample bitterness.

Mouth is a touch light, but given the abv, works alright. carbonation a smidgen high... perfect on the tongue... wish the finish was a touch longer.

all in all, an impressive stout! not as coffee-forward as some, but that might be a good thing. If this one were readily available, I'd probably be readily drinking it.

12-30-2010 20:48:12 | More by djeucalyptus
ommegoose

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured into a pint glass, this stout is probably a little less dark than most, with lighter brown hues very visible at the edges. Half inch of light tan head that doesn't last all that long, leaving a few traces on the sides of the glass.

Cold brewed coffee, as promised. This opens up as the beer warms. Some sweeter chocolate notes too. The aroma is not overwhelming, but it is nice.

Stout flavors are bigger than the coffee, which blends amicably into the mix. Roasty with a light sweetness under a little bit of chalkiness. Burnt malt on the back of the tongue provides some bitterness. Light to moderate hopping. I have to say that if I didn't know this was a coffee stout I might not have guessed it. Towards the end there are even suggestions of oats and lactose.

Carbonation is higher and body lighter than I'd prefer to see in this style. Not particularly smooth. I am not sure if I am just drinking too many big beers, but this could stand to have a lot more heft.

It's fine. I could have another one, if I had more than one. On a hypothetical second pour, I'd dump it in the glass and serve it warmer. But even if this was in my market it probably would not make it into my rotation.

12-29-2010 04:48:40 | More by ommegoose
soze47

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoying this 12 oz. bottle that I just picked up while traveling through WI.

Appearance: Solid and foamy head persists throughout the drinking of this one. The body is very dark caramel brown and almost too translucent to be a stout.

Aroma: The coffee flavor on the nose is unique in that it isn't robust in a roasty way, but almost more in a strong coffee bitterness. Roasted barley and other malt rounds out a mix.

Taste: This is a very roasted malt-forward beer. In fact, I'd say it is more sweet than bitter, but the balance achieved between the malt and coffee flavors is great. The coffee flavor provides a great checking quality to the flavors and prevents the sweet aspects from dominating.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Highly drinkable for the style, especially considering the great robust, yet not overwhelming flavors of this brew. The body is not heavy. I'd call it medium for sure.

Overall: I'm not disappointed by this one in the least. It is a great session candidate for coffee beer fans. The coffee flavor works on a lot of levels and reveals some complexity as I enjoyed the whole bottle. However, if you are looking to compare this one to bigger styles of stout in terms of overall flavor, you'll be disappointed.

12-27-2010 02:49:02 | More by soze47
yeahnatenelson

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with auburn highlights and a finger of stiff khaki head.

Smell -- Coffee beans, cocoa, and light molasses are most prominent. The overall impression is of high roast and mild malt sweetness. The smell of the coffee is quite good.

Taste -- Plenty of rich coffee flavor, lightly burnt malt, dark chocolate, light molasses. Low malt sweetness really forces the coffee flavor into the forefront. Mild earthy hops lend some depth to the myriad of roast notes. Lingering flavors of coffee and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with moderate carbonation. This beer is easy-drinking in typical New Glarus fashion.

Drinkability -- Well put together. Subtle flavors in typical New Glarus style., but with a quality of coffee flavor that few breweries can duplicate. And while most coffee stouts are quite heavy, this one is really easy-drinking.

12-27-2010 00:53:50 | More by yeahnatenelson