Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Road Slush Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

Road Slush StoutRoad Slush Stout

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-10-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Road Slush Stout Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

A: The pour is sort of light for a stout, actually, it's very light for a stout. Somewhere in between dark amber and brown with a thin khaki head.

S: Despite the light color, this is very roasty. Starts of with char and ash, and perhaps a little bit of a burnt toast aroma to it. I get a little bit of chocolate and a slight nutty character. Maybe a little bit earthy, too.

T: The flavor is just odd and doesn't really match up to the nose (or a stout) at all. Fairly acidic on the tongue with a definite fruitiness to it. Some toffee, moderate roast, and fairly bitter. This is more like a bad brown ale than anything.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is in that range as well.

D: This is one of the few times I've truly been let down by a New Glarus beer. Not interested in ticking this one again.

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

I had high expectations for this beer, but it was disappointing. I pours and tastes more like a dark lager or thinner porter. bubbles are large and dissipate quickly. If I made this beer myself I would call it a "miss".

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: The pour yields about one and a half finger size head that is mocha colored. This beer is dark brown with some light brown to mahogany color evident at the edges. There are some bubbles visible along the sides of the glass that rise to form a ring around the edges of the glass. I also note some visible sediment floating in my glass, interesting. Lacing is light.

S: Chocolate malt and roasted nuttiness at first with some burnt coffee. I also get some brown sugar sweetness. As I continue to let this one warm up before I start sipping I seem to get more and more coffee on the nose.

T: I get the roasted character of this beer at first followed by some semi-sweet dark chocolate. I also get some unique earthiness notes? Hard for me to describe. On the aftertaste I get a slightly unpleasant charred character.

M: I expected this to be more creamy or smooth being an oatmeal stout but it's acceptable. Maybe the carbonation takes away from the smoothness? As i find this to be a little sharp. A little too thin for a stout for my liking.

O: This oatmeal stout did not wow me mostly because of the feel. I prefer this style to be smoother and more satisfying on the mouth.
The taste was on par for a stout though.

This beer didn't really strike me as a stout - it seemed more akin to a brown ale. It had a lot of caramel taste and some copper color. Not bad, but not much unusual about it.

It poured a copper color with a bit of head. Aroma was of some caramel and earthiness; not a lot of roasty character. Flavor was a bit coppery/metallic with lots of body and a fair amount of caramel-ness and with a finish that was a bit earthy. I didn't taste any evidence of the presence of oatmeal or pick it up in the mouthfeel, which was unremarkable.

This beer was OK, but nothing too unusual. I'd weekly recommend it.

I bought this as a single bottle at 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

3.06/5  rDev -21.3%

A - My pour was a little over the top, so out sprouts a 4+ finger light brown head that is bubbly, frothy and slowly craters as it dies down. The lacing is a bit ridiculous; super sticky and goopy. It's sticking to every part of the glass. The beer itself is a menacing looking black with purple and brown tints.

S - Some nice medium roast, some tootsie roll, yeast, a little milk chocolate and cocoa.Somewhat low aroma overall.

T - Rich, tasty roast, honey, milk chocolate powder, charred wood, some coffee grounds and an estery yeast character, and the tootsie roll found in the smell is still floating around in the flavor. The flavor in the finish falls flat and isn't helped by the thinish body and slight undercarbonation. There really isn't any depth at all past the initial taste; the finish is pretty boring.

M - Easily the worst part about this beer. See taste...tldr; too thin, undercarbonated and it really detracts from an already weak finish.

O - Not bad, not great. I will give this stout points for being incredibly easy to drink; it wouldn't offend anyone and would probably be a great option for someone new to the style.

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to neubernie for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights at the edges. Creamy tan-colored head recedes quickly but leaves a nice amount of lacey "drapes" in the glass.

S: Had to try hard to get a nose out of this one. Eventually, I detected chocolate, toasted oats, roasted malt, and a tart fruitiness.

T: See above. Also noted were coffee grounds, burnt wheat toast, and tangy citrus hops.

M: Seems a little too tart and prickly for an oatmeal stout. Seems kind of watery no matter what temp it's served at.

D: Given the slightly average marks, this is surprisingly easy on the palate. Easy to drink, but I can think of a few dozen other oatmeal stouts I'd rather drink.

3.21/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a darkish brown color, slightly hazy, with a big tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate, earthy hops and lightly roasted coffee. On the palate, I get roasted malt, bitter hops and more coffee/chocolate. Somewhat thin, not the best I've had from New Glarus.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

A-Appears dark brown almost black with a thick tan two-fingered deep "moustache making" head.

S- Initially produces a strong bitter coffee smell. As a non-coffee drinker, this doesn't smell overly bad, however I don't notice any sweet toffee or chocolate smells, only the bitter malty, coffee.

T-Tastes of roasted malt and coffee. The slight bitter taste mellows and softens into a sweeter, mild dark chocolate flavor.

M-Light almost watery taste. Easy drinking with no overwhelming alcohol. Has the filling quality of most stouts, however I wouldn't be stopped from drinking more than one.

O- I enjoy most of the beers from NG and was not disappointed by this stout. I also wasn't overly wowed by any of the flavors. A "classic" slightly above average Oatmeal Stout.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottle poured into 2 pint glasses. Had no idea NG made stouts.

Cola brown pour, not a lot of head. A little more translucent that I like a stout to be.

Smell is reasonably pronounced with burnt malt and oats, but is also a little bit bitter. Announces itself.

Taste does not. I found this drink watery and lacking flavor. There is a little bit of malt and an even littler bit of coffee in there, but it wasn't a very big beer at all. Didn't taste unpleasant, just didn't taste strong enough.

The oats lent themselves well to mouthfeel, nice and smooth. Finishes well.

NG's routine beers are merely average and their speciality beers are spectacular. This falls into the average category. It is an OK drink, nothing more. If recommended means I encourage you to buy it if it's the best thing on the menu, then yes, I recommend it.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

This is my first dissapointing experience with New Glarus. I just don't get it with this beer. It pours a nice enough looking cola-esque brown. The nose is grain and subtle hints of sweet malt but not incredibly noticeable. The taste is lacking for me and not all that stout-y. I do get a roasty, oatsy flavor with an acidic finish that just seems to thin to be a stout. Anyway, it seems more aleish than anything.

3.26/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks to Chris aka Spycow for grabbing me a couple bottles of this on his recent trip up to Cheeseland.

A - A nice, very dark brown color with a one finger off-white head that left some sheet lacing on the sides as I drank this.

S - There is something a little off with this smell, although I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The roasted malts give a good, strong backbone to this, with a little bit of coffee smell that is not overly bitter.

T - Taste is pretty smooth with bitter and charred malts dominating and just the slightest bit of burnt cocoa in there. Finishes with a coffee flavor.

M - Little too thin for me, very smooth going down.

D - For a 6.2% this is not super drinkable, but it's not hard to drink either, I put it as merely average.

3.27/5  rDev -15.9%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Orval glass...The beer pours a medium to dark brown with a hint of red, not totally appealing. There is lots of carbonation, a head that rises a good full three fingers of light tan head. Decent renention, nice lacing as it falls very thick and covers totally...The aroma is little off, almost a generic quality to it. Light coffee, bourbon?? really, light smoke, but just overall weird...The taste is much better, its actually pretty appetizing light coffee and chocolate, easy to drink to start but a weird flat finish. In general its also pretty light.

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

A - light through center of glass. Tall creamy off white head leaving some lacing.

S - sweet, caramel and nuts. Very mild, but very nice.

T - Hazelnut and caramel. A bit of smoke in the middle. Like the scent, it is mild but good.

M - A little thin but nice tingles all over the tongue.

D - I could have a few, but would want something stronger at some point.

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%

I got this in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

It pours a dark brown with some reddish tones and a huge head of foam. Lots of lacing and good head retention.

The smell has notes of dark chocolate, oats, some coffee, some bread, and an underlying tartness. Interesting nose but I'm not overly impressed with it.

The taste is of milk chocolate, coffee, oats, caramel, and some bread. Not overly assertive for the style but pretty drinkable. I reckon this one is ~6%abv as I don't get any warming and I'm not sensing any alcohol in the nose or the taste.

It has a light to medium mouthfeel and it finishes with just a touch of dark chocolate bitterness.

I think this is a pretty good Oatmeal Stout that maybe lacks some of the character that I've found in others of the style b ut never the less, is easy to quaff. I'm glad I got the chance to try it.

Edit: Ok, so I checked their website and they list this brew at 6.2%abv. Good job, Bill! lol

3.42/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz. bottle courtesy of AKSmokedPorter.

Black in color with a fizzy (fizzy?) head. Wafer-thin layer of brown lace fades quickly. Aromas are no-bake choco cookies, brown sugar n cinnamon oatmeal, some coffee beans. Flavor is dry, with a fizzy aftertaste that put me off. Chocolate sweetness up front, with some roasted coffee showing up. Dark chocolate and a roasted malt finish. Thin mouthfeel. Uber-fizzy. Not nearly as thick as desired. Decently drinkable, but I've had far better examples of the style.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep brown in color with some floaties swimming around. Pours with about a finger's worth of light tan head that slowly reduces to nothingness. A faint bit of lacing.

S: Muted nose of roasted malts, cocoa, and coffee.

T: Roasted malts, chocolate and bitter coffee. There is a slight peat flavor to it as well. Long lingering finish of roasted malt.

M: Mouthfeel loses me as it is not the smooth, creamy, luscious feel one would expect from an oatmeal stout. Actually, it's surprisingly sharp. Medium in body, but thin for the for the style as well.

D: Overall, this is a decent beer, but it's not what I would think of when I think of an oatmeal stout. The lighter body and flavor lends to easier drinking, though I am not sure that is necessarily a good thing.

3.44/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Black and opaque. Short dark tan head.

Smell - Roasted malt and coffee.

Taste - Prominent roasted malt flavor. Don't really pick up too much from the oatmeal or hops. Certainly not poor, but kinda one note.

Mouthfeel - Medium-light body. Might be alittle thin. Appears pretty highly carbonated.

Drinkability - Not bad, but not exceptional. Extra points because of the cool name and the fact that it comes from one of my favorite breweries. Picture on the bottle is a little hokey.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Oakbluff: Poured a clear black color stout with a big light brown foamy head with good retention and good lacing. Aromas of dry roasted notes are dominating. Taste is also dominated by quite dry roasted malt with very little else to report. Body is a bit light for the style with some great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Overall, I thought this beer was simple without much complexity but still well done for the style. I have to admit that I have taste better beer form this brewer.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Black in body, the head is dense, rich, and tan in color. When held to the light the body becomes a reddish deep brown with some yeast floaties.

S: Nice roasted grain aroma, with some cocoa powder following. Some flour bread notes and oatmeal.

T: Coffee and roasted malt dominate the flavor. There is a hint of a sharp note, the finish is bready.

M: Medium thick in body, the carbonation is fine in size, although somewhat higher in carbonation. Fairly smooth in texture.

O: Overall a pretty good brew, although I could go for a little more dark malts, and somewhat less carbonation. I'd drink it again.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A) Dark brown, nearly black, held to light, just a little reddish hue. There was nearly a two finger head, that was tan and creamy looking. Decent retention and a bit of lacing.

S) Malty, deep roast here, slightly burnt, with coffee and oats, a bit of dark chocolate.

T) Mostly the roasted malt. The aroma was better. A little bit of coffee. Earthy flavors, a little grassy at the finish, but that is mainly some citrus rind, and really more bitter than I would have liked.

M) Medium bodied with more carbonation than I would have liked. A little prickly, with a slightly off aftertaste.

O) Not terrible, but I'm glad this was a single. I'll stick to Samuel Smith's for oatmeal stouts.

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky brown in my snifter with a head of loosely organized bubbles. The aroma is is a bit vegetal with the suggestion of gas station coffee. Tastes more like roasty brown ale with a milk chocolate flavor than a stout. The coffee flavor isn't too bad, but it's a little fizzy. The finish to me is more dark brown ale than stout with a bit of the coffee flavor again. Hops are played way down in favor a roasted malt bitterness. Not quite what I remember from years ago.

January 2010 bottle

A- Half inch light tan head on top of a dark brown beer. Average head retention and lacing.

S- Chocolate.

T- Oatmeal, cocoa. Hint of smokiness. Slight hop bitterness...well balanced.

M- Adequate carbonation. Medium to medium-thin mouthfeel for the style.

D/O- Middle of the pack oatmeal stout. Nice if you'd like more than one, otherwise skip.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Small capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Pitch black, with very little head despite a vigorous pour, and little retention.
Nice aroma, the expected roasted malts, coffee and bittersweet chocolate.
It has a rather thin body for an oatmeal stout, and a good but rather shallow taste, with the same coffee and chocolate.
Decent, but nothing special.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Pours opaque black with a very slight head that dissipates to a thin ring.

Smell is smokey burnt dark grain, and chocolate. Hint of coffee and residual oatmeal sweetness.

Taste is similiar to the nose. However, sweetness has a greater impact. Finish is clean with lingering burnt grain and chocolate.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth.

A decent stout. Flavor is hearty without becoming overpowering. Worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

12 ounce bottle- dark with ruby red, decent clarity.Off white head, reasonable lacing. Nose- chalky, powdered chocolate milk, toast. Taste- again a chalky texture, anise, dark fruits light roast. Medium body, medium to high carbonation. Finishes dry.

Road Slush Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company