Road Slush Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-10-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 509 | Reviews: 231

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%

A: The pour is sort of light for a stout, actually, it's very light for a stout. Somewhere in between dark amber and brown with a thin khaki head.

S: Despite the light color, this is very roasty. Starts of with char and ash, and perhaps a little bit of a burnt toast aroma to it. I get a little bit of chocolate and a slight nutty character. Maybe a little bit earthy, too.

T: The flavor is just odd and doesn't really match up to the nose (or a stout) at all. Fairly acidic on the tongue with a definite fruitiness to it. Some toffee, moderate roast, and fairly bitter. This is more like a bad brown ale than anything.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is in that range as well.

D: This is one of the few times I've truly been let down by a New Glarus beer. Not interested in ticking this one again.

2.58/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

I had high expectations for this beer, but it was disappointing. I pours and tastes more like a dark lager or thinner porter. bubbles are large and dissipate quickly. If I made this beer myself I would call it a "miss".

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: The pour yields about one and a half finger size head that is mocha colored. This beer is dark brown with some light brown to mahogany color evident at the edges. There are some bubbles visible along the sides of the glass that rise to form a ring around the edges of the glass. I also note some visible sediment floating in my glass, interesting. Lacing is light.

S: Chocolate malt and roasted nuttiness at first with some burnt coffee. I also get some brown sugar sweetness. As I continue to let this one warm up before I start sipping I seem to get more and more coffee on the nose.

T: I get the roasted character of this beer at first followed by some semi-sweet dark chocolate. I also get some unique earthiness notes? Hard for me to describe. On the aftertaste I get a slightly unpleasant charred character.

M: I expected this to be more creamy or smooth being an oatmeal stout but it's acceptable. Maybe the carbonation takes away from the smoothness? As i find this to be a little sharp. A little too thin for a stout for my liking.

O: This oatmeal stout did not wow me mostly because of the feel. I prefer this style to be smoother and more satisfying on the mouth.
The taste was on par for a stout though.

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

This beer didn't really strike me as a stout - it seemed more akin to a brown ale. It had a lot of caramel taste and some copper color. Not bad, but not much unusual about it.

It poured a copper color with a bit of head. Aroma was of some caramel and earthiness; not a lot of roasty character. Flavor was a bit coppery/metallic with lots of body and a fair amount of caramel-ness and with a finish that was a bit earthy. I didn't taste any evidence of the presence of oatmeal or pick it up in the mouthfeel, which was unremarkable.

This beer was OK, but nothing too unusual. I'd weekly recommend it.

I bought this as a single bottle at 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

A - My pour was a little over the top, so out sprouts a 4+ finger light brown head that is bubbly, frothy and slowly craters as it dies down. The lacing is a bit ridiculous; super sticky and goopy. It's sticking to every part of the glass. The beer itself is a menacing looking black with purple and brown tints.

S - Some nice medium roast, some tootsie roll, yeast, a little milk chocolate and cocoa.Somewhat low aroma overall.

T - Rich, tasty roast, honey, milk chocolate powder, charred wood, some coffee grounds and an estery yeast character, and the tootsie roll found in the smell is still floating around in the flavor. The flavor in the finish falls flat and isn't helped by the thinish body and slight undercarbonation. There really isn't any depth at all past the initial taste; the finish is pretty boring.

M - Easily the worst part about this beer. See taste...tldr; too thin, undercarbonated and it really detracts from an already weak finish.

O - Not bad, not great. I will give this stout points for being incredibly easy to drink; it wouldn't offend anyone and would probably be a great option for someone new to the style.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A bit to thin for my tastes.

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to neubernie for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights at the edges. Creamy tan-colored head recedes quickly but leaves a nice amount of lacey "drapes" in the glass.

S: Had to try hard to get a nose out of this one. Eventually, I detected chocolate, toasted oats, roasted malt, and a tart fruitiness.

T: See above. Also noted were coffee grounds, burnt wheat toast, and tangy citrus hops.

M: Seems a little too tart and prickly for an oatmeal stout. Seems kind of watery no matter what temp it's served at.

D: Given the slightly average marks, this is surprisingly easy on the palate. Easy to drink, but I can think of a few dozen other oatmeal stouts I'd rather drink.

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a darkish brown color, slightly hazy, with a big tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate, earthy hops and lightly roasted coffee. On the palate, I get roasted malt, bitter hops and more coffee/chocolate. Somewhat thin, not the best I've had from New Glarus.

3.24/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

A-Appears dark brown almost black with a thick tan two-fingered deep "moustache making" head.

S- Initially produces a strong bitter coffee smell. As a non-coffee drinker, this doesn't smell overly bad, however I don't notice any sweet toffee or chocolate smells, only the bitter malty, coffee.

T-Tastes of roasted malt and coffee. The slight bitter taste mellows and softens into a sweeter, mild dark chocolate flavor.

M-Light almost watery taste. Easy drinking with no overwhelming alcohol. Has the filling quality of most stouts, however I wouldn't be stopped from drinking more than one.

O- I enjoy most of the beers from NG and was not disappointed by this stout. I also wasn't overly wowed by any of the flavors. A "classic" slightly above average Oatmeal Stout.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Road Slush Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company