Thumbprint Cherry Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: badbeer on 02-21-2006

Formerly Unplugged Cherry Stout.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Cherry Stout Alström Bros

Poured cold from the bottle. This beer is a dark, red, cloudy colour with a minimal head. The smell was that of tart cherries with a hint of chocolate. The smell was also very sweet and malty. The taste was a very tart cherry that moved to a sweet, chocolate, mellow finish that lingered on the tongue for a bit.

Would I buy it again? Yes. (340 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Garnet-brown w/ tawny foam, lacing
S= Cherry cough syrup, initially, and then more cherry life saver. Possibly a faint whiff of acetic.
T=Blast of sweet and sour, the cherries quite prominent, the stout character is reduced to a subtle chocolate that surfaces in the finish.
M=medium body, not thin. The acidity tickles the tip of my nose each time I sip it (not really a mouth thing, but a feel thing).

I like the balance in this beer. I find many sours too sour for me, but this one is lovely. (496 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured a dark brown color with maybe a hint of reddish color to it. Just a bit of beige head on it. Smell is heavy cherries, can't pick up much else. Lots of cherry taste on the front end. Very bubbley mouthfeel. I guess there is some good lacing around the glass. Very light mouthfeel. I really like this beer. Can't wait to get some more. (340 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +26.5%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.
A: The pour brings a small head that is a wispy light tan and settles quickly to a foamy layer. The body on this stout is a deep amber, not much of the typical stout black, but the cherries are already present. Reflecting light that shows through the glass is a burst of red, that rays in the glass. lacing is left in small and dispersed form.

S: Without even sniffing the beer, when the glass is brought to the nose, you can sense the acidity of the cherries. A wonderful aroma of cherries that is very powerful, on the off aroma, the subtle but present notes of oak are shown. This is a very well balanced aroma for a cherry stout.

T/M: This is about as close to a stout as the Belgian Red could get. The brew shows a front of malts and barley that are very layered in taste. The body of NG cherry stout is a palate full of cherries, while adding a nice balance. The tartness of the cherries is a beautiful battle with the malt, that adds a great full flavor. The mouthfeel is a silky, medium bodied brew. The off taste are very powerful cherry notes, that leave you with the sensation that you have just eaten a fresh bowl of cherries.

D: With exceptional flavors, this beer is quite possibly the best cherry stout I have ever had. A great finish has you coming back for more, but slowly so you can enjoy the full complexities of the entire experience. If I had to choose one cherry beer to have forever, this would be it, not too overly powerful of cherries, but the right amount of rich ale balance. (1,540 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +26.5%

Thanks to Justin for sending this my way.

I poured it into a snifter and it produce a short lived tan head that faded away to a thin lace. The body of the brew was dark brown in color. It has a huge cherry nose on it and the chocolate roast was awesome. It was like a great box of cherry chocolates which have been a favorite of mine since childhood.
The flavor was more of the same sweet and tart cherry and chocolate goodness. A great brew I wish I had more. I hope this makes it to the normal rotation it was to good. I shed a man tear as the last sip passed thru my lips thinking I may never see this brew again (617 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%

I had honestly been looking for this one forever. An unplugged I never thought I would get, I was thrilled to say the least to get ahold of this gem. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, I enjoyed this one over the course of a few hours this afternoon.

The pour was nice enough. Dark brown with a hint of light coming through on the sides and the bottom of the glass, no where near opaque. Nice light head here, rich tan color and subtle fading left behind rings of lace in its wake. The aroma was succulent. Rich cherries and hints of woody notes. Spices of all kind blended in, rich as all hell, this was more of a cherry ale then a stout, but superb. As I took my first sip I melted into the floor. Rich, tart and yet sweet cherry notes, peppery and loaded with spice. Such complexity, such richness, this was indeed exactly what I was looking for. Smooth, light body with a nice carbonation that was great for an ale, but light for a stout, I was none the less blow away by the flavor here, the wonderful balance, and most perfect use of cherries. This is a beer I will forever remember. Something to really be proud of, I fantastic offering. (1,155 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%

Big thanks to alcstradamus for bringing me a case of this delicious nectar from my favoritist brewery in the world. Anything New Glarus puts fruit in is pure gold. Drank from my New Glarus flute while watching the 2010 NCAA tourney.

Appearance- Pours a fairly clear deep crimson brown with a small half finger light tan head that fizzles away fairly quickly. No cap is left but a small collar is maintained along with just a touch of random lacing.
Smell- Man I love the smell of this beer as it's A LOT like Belgium Red. Loads of fruity fresh cherries that are clean and brilliantly bright. A bit of woodiness mixed in adds a light vanilla tone that is barely noticeable above all those cherries. That's about it. Nothing that specifically would make you think stout in the nose.
Taste- Starts just like the nose. Tons of fruity macerated cherries that are lightly tart and extremely fresh tasting. Once the fruitiness fades an earthy undertone of a slight roast peaks through. Maybe a touch of chocolate or coffee as a light roasted bitterness interrupts the slight sweetness of the residual cherries. The finish presents a light char along with a bit of cherry that never really seems to leave.
Mouthfeel- A bit lighter than what you'd expect from a stout but still somewhere near medium. The carbonation is lightly aggressive but it's still somewhat smooth on the tongue.
Drinkability- I really love this beer a lot. Although the Stout part of the beer isn't a integral part of the beer it still adds something different. Saying that I love fruit beers and I especially love fruit beers where the fruit is super intense like it is here. A Stout lovers dream? No. But a fruit lover's dream - yes! Thanks much Adam! (1,718 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +24.9%

appearance: The pour gives a 0.3" dark khaki head that quickly fizzes away to just a thin ring around the glass. Almost no head retention. The beer is a clear, reddish chestnut brown in color.

smell: The aroma is very similar to the taste in that I find an abundance of tart cherries smoothed out by their natural sugars, well blended with aromas of roasted malts...which bring to the table nuances of cocoa. It differs from the taste in that I find a much more obvious oak aroma, reminding me of the smell inside an old hardwood house. Ridiculously complex to my nasal passages. Drool...

mouthfeel: The carbonation is around a high medium, but very smooth on the tongue. The body is pretty light.

taste: First off I get big flavors of tart yet sweet cherries seamlessly blended with light roasted and sweet malts. There is soon a segue into flavors of cocoa and too old coffee grounds (in a good way). I pick up just a hint of wood from the oak barrels. No hops detected, save for maybe a touch of bitterness. Very nice.

drinkability: 4.0 for ease of drinking, 4.5 because I want more and more and more

Shipped to me from WI courtesy of dirtylou

Got a couple bottles from flyingbison in trade, and consumed them early 2007...still tasting great.

6/01/2010 - got a couple bottles of the re-release from the dirtman, absolutely love this beer, the cherry character is gorgeous, fresh red cherry on wood, loads cocoa rolled toffee, tootsie roll, on the sweet side of things, outstanding stuff, bumped mouthfeel and taste 0.5 each

1/2011 - last bottle from the second release, cherry really kicking through now, both on the nose and palate, lots of cherry pie and jolly rancher-vivid aromas, still thinking tootsie roll chocolate, delicate oak essence, just a drop of roasty astringency towards the back, will miss this one (1,828 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +24.9%

12oz bottle purchased at steve's liquors for 8.99 a 4 pack

A-light looking for a stout barely a head. The head comes when you pour it but quickley goes completely away.

S-tons of cherrys, almost smells just like their belgian red, also some licorice.

T-Burnt delicious cherries. This beer is absolutely delicious. New Glarus really knows how to stand out with their beer.

M- Crisp, fresh and tons of carbonation. I know there will be people who will not like this beer because it is not what they have come to know from a stout.

D- High. Great delicious beer! What I love about craft beer (593 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%

Aroma holds an overripe slightly sour aroma that I associate with rotting oranges, but that I assume to be cherries. The oak aroma is definitely alive in there as well. My first impression from the aroma is that it smells like an orange laced Flemish Sour which is intruiging.

Color is dark brown to black and the head is tan and diminished quickly to a dime thin affair.

Mmmm lots of tart cherry in the fore then very quickly you taste sweet cherry notes and then just as quickly chocolate malts play across the tongue. Very fast transitions of flavors. A sort of cake/eclair pastry like sweet and wholesome flavor flows from the middle to the finish. I swear I taste hints of over ripe orange juice, but it’s probably the combined oak/sour cherry flavors merging to suggest that vanila flavor. The chocolate asspect seems to become less pronounced as it warms and more of the sourness and cherry comes through, though it never completely fades...it mostly just slides further back in the order and so you get more chocolate in the finish. Vanilla notes also come out as it warms along with more of the oak.

For a fruit beer it has quite a nice mouthfeel. I have to say I am pretty floored. This was much better than I thought it would be. NG is just a fantastic brewery. (1,285 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark with cherry amber hues. Fine head.

Smell: Cherry, sweet, very little malt notes, Delicious. The dark color and sweet cherry flavors are kind of messing with me and I'm really enjoying it.

Taste: Wow. I really dig this. Lot's of cherry, almost to a lambic. There is a surprisingly little malt and stout to this. It's not as sweet as the Belgian Red but the cherry flavor is on par. It's like the cherry flavor notes with a more rounded profile. It's got a cleaner finish with some wheat notes coming through. As a desert beer, this is up there.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation levels that match the sweet flavors perfectly. Thin and spreads well.

Overall: Wow, I really enjoy this. I think it's a pretty hit or miss brew based on some of the reviews but they can send me their bottles. I do agree that the 'stout' is a misnomer, it should be "Belgian Red-dark" or something along those lines because there is a near complete lack of malt notes. As a desert beer, this is up there. (998 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +22.8%

This one did not let me down. I am really glad I am going back to WI next week and will buy some more. I'm going to stick one in the back of my beer fridge and forget about it for a year... just to see what happens.

Bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

A = Deep, dark and maroonish color. Cherries and stout.
S = Blast of sweetish tart cherry. I want this as a scratch-n-sniff sticker!
T = Great balance of tart and sweet cherry.
M = Carbonation is a little high, but in a good way for this one.
D = Smooth and would like to drink a bomber of this one. 12 oz is not enough. (565 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +22.5%

Bottle poured into my Stone IRS snifter. Traded for this bottle. Thanks mothman!

A - Dark black body with a purple hue? Circle of white head rests on top.

S - Is this a beer? It smells like maraschino cherries. Nice sweet cherry flavor similar to the Belgian Red. Not picking up on much malt or other normal beer aromas. Still it smells delicious

T - Nice cherry flavor up front and finishes with a nice tart cherry flavor. Once again not picking up much on normal beer flavors. Maybe a hint of dark chocolate in the finish as well. Similar to a chocolate covered cherry. This is pretty good!

M - medium to heavy body with a fair amount of carbonation

D - pretty damn drinkable. I really like the cherry flavor in this one. A little more chocolate or roast and this one would be a grand slam. Really good beer and I'd love to have this one again.

Edit: Going back and bumping up my ratings on this. I really love this beer. The cherry flavor mingles with the normal stout notes to make something truly extraordinary. I wish I had this all the time. (1,054 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +22%

I poured the drink and it immediately resembled the color of a Cherry Coke. I took a whiff of the aroma and the smell of fresh cherries hit me over the head. The first taste revealed a perfect equilibrium of stout and cherry flavors. The cherry tastes natural--completely reminiscent of the New Glarus Wisconsin Red Belgian Ale.

Its only downfall is that it's a bit hard to drink a lot of it. I had it with pizza, and while it remained enjoyable throughout, I'm not sure it's the perfect pairing. Maybe chocolate would go better with the beer.

Either way, get it while you can, it's outstanding. (597 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +20.4%

Scored a few four packs in lacrosse wisconsin. Poured into a regula pint glass which is probably not ideal for this beer given the great aroma. This beer reminded me of the last part of a cherry tootsie pop before you bite into it. Great chocolate and cherry flavors come through. Great beer (291 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

An unsolicited send from a BA by the name of Brian.

Let me just say... this is not a B+ beer. This is a nigh perfect beer. Which isn't to say it's the beer I most want to drink, the beer I'd search out all the time, etc. etc.

But I'm hard pressed to find a flaw here, period.

This beer pours a deep, deep, deep garnet with a nice fluffy head, moderate lacing and superb retention.

The first sign you're in for something special is the nose. It's a burst of rich dark cherry with a hint of milk chocolate in the background. The intensity gives it a candied, lightly artificial touch, which is the only slight flaw. But it's a full, complex aroma.

On the palate this is brilliantly balanced. It's a rich, full bodied brew with a soft rounded finish that elevates a buoyant, cherry flavor with subtle touches of chocolate and light roast. This is barely a stout in flavor at all, but in body and texture, yes.

This reminds me nothing so much as Wisconsin Belgian Red. That has an elevated tartness, this has some roast and chocolate to balance the mid palate sweetness. Tartness hits the cheeks just before the dryness. Finish is lingering cherry.

Drinkability is off the charts. It's balanced, smooth, no hint of the 6.5(!)% ABV, no rough edges or sticky sweetness.

I keep looking for flaws and not finding them. There's a moderate lack of complexity, one feels the stout could be pushed just a touch, as long as it amped the chocolate component... but that's quibbling.

This is truly a great beer. (1,506 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

Bottle courtesy of Goodbyeohio. Thanks a ton!
Dark, dark garnet, pretty much black until held to light, where a bright, blood red hue shines. Rosy-hued beige foam, holding a strong collar throughout. Chocolatey aroma, thick with cherry juice. Plenty of sweetness, milder, without the charred, skoky roastiness you expect from a stout. More towards the flemish red side. Some bourbon barrel in there, the aoken vanilla blending beautifully with the mild tartness and cherry scent. The flavor is definitely on the sweeter side, although the acidity in the finish compensates for it easily. Rich caramel and chocolate, immediately blooming with soft, dark red cherries. The fruit dominates, but allows the malt plenty of room. Delicate oaky softness. Earthy. Slight vanilla flavors, creating a super smooth, soft feel to the brew. Mellow carbonation and a fuller body helps, too. Slightly phenolic in the finish, the cherry taking on a sweet/tart presence, balancing out the gooey caramel sweetness masterfully. A touch of cocoa and a whiff of boozey heat down my throat. Lingering cherry flavor. Really wonderful. I loved this beer. I'd happily mail order a sixer if it were possible. Anyone who hates this stuff, I'll gladly take it off your hands. (1,248 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours deep brown/garnet with off white head. Lacing is minimal but does linger. Head is almost non-existent and disappears fast. Strong cherry aroma with slight dark chocolate hint. This stuff tastes a bit like a chocolate covered cherry with a hefty dose of stout. Tart cherries dominate, while the stout keeps it from being syrupy or cloying. It's thin bodied for a stout, but the overall experience is highly enjoyable. It kinda reminds me of Kasteel Rouge, but not quite as tart of a cherry flavor. The oak aging does nothing that I can perceive.. (551 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

The best in the unplugged series i've had. Thanks to younger35 for sending this to me.

Rich foamy tan head, dark brown with cherry highlights.

big cherry cordial smell.

oak taste, sour cherry, chocolate, just a fantastic blend of all these tastes.

Very sad when I finished this beer. I could drink this all day and all night long while rocking its body to the break of dawn. (378 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

As I crack open the bottle I get a great aroma of cherry, almost a little sour but at the same time reminding me of opening up a jar of good maraschino cherries
It almost pours as a dark brown ale but as it fills the glass I can definitely see the traditional colors of a stout with a hint of redness. Pours a half finger white, carbonated head. T-Semi-sweet with definite tartness, almost taste like a lambic. Doesn't come off as a stout at all. A nice balance of carbonation first greets the palate, followed by the light sweetness. The narrative on the bottle mentions oak aging but I do not detect any oak in the taste. The texture of is not thick at all, smooth and light. I can definitely drink more than one, more than two. I think you need to be in the mood for a fruity beer because that's what it is. Definitely does not drink like a stout...but I am not complaining. (877 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours out amber-tinted brown and sits ruby-glazed mohagany in the glass with a large beige head. Fades to a faint skim with lots of lacings around the glass.

Aroma is laden with fermentation funk including a familiar speck of acidic behavior which quite rightly leads into a shallow oaky aroma. Tart cherries are buried beneath a deep layer of charred malts and chocolatey aromas.

Tastes mildly sweet up front and immediately forms a bold tart attack on your tongue, cherry flavors shining through nicely. Very mild roastedness backs it up, light cocoa here and there. The big kicker is the sourness, just as in NG's Sour Brown, brought in from the oak, which resonates well within the mouth. Everything tapers off nicely into the finish. leaving a dry oaked flavor and bits of roasted malt to reflect upon.

Quite smooth in the mouth, fine and mild-moderate carbonation in a medium-full body.

I'm an instant fan of this. Everything I liked about their Sour Brown is here, everything I like about their Belgian Red is here, everything I like about their new Oatmeal stout is here. Win, win, win. This further proves New Glarus to be one of the best, if not the best, breweries in the fruit beer category. I have been satiated. (1,237 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +19.6%

A - It looks a lot like a cola or root beer; very short-lived fizzy head, quite thin, and I see soda bubbles clinging to the side of the tulip. That is the first clue that 'Stout' is a misnomer.

S - Initial impression: on one hand it smells rich and pungent like cherries, but on the other hand, it has a vague cherry cough syrup aroma. Fortunately, the latter sensation was a fleeting one, as I am rapidly gaining appreciation for the succulent and delectable cherry flavor leaping from the glass. Some oak and vanilla nuances develop as well. Not getting any roasted malt or coffee-cocoa tones like I'd expect, given the name. Second clue that 'Stout' is a misnomer.

T - First impression: oh my god this stuff is absolutely amazing. Not a Stout at all, instead it is a delicious dark version of Belgian Red, for all intents and purposes. Every strength and characteristic of Belgian Red is apparent here, and this is probably a little bit better, overall. Let's see what comprises it: huge cherry taste, tart and sweet, vanilla, oak-earthiness and total delectability.

M - Thin and bright; very enhancing.

D - Deliciously drinkable, though the sweetness would overwhelm me eventually. (1,190 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Look: Poured 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Nice black-cherry red color. Very unique with just enough foam.

Smell: Like being in a field of cherries in July in Door County, and having malts finish it off.

Taste: Very sweet and just enough malty taste. More of an aged champagne taste, because it has a woody cherry bubbly flavor to it.

Mouthfeel: The sweetness is a huge plus to the drink, because it is a natural cherry sweetness that is just right and it has the aged smoky woody flavor.

Drinkability: I wish this beer wasn't limited because it is that good that I think more people could enjoy it. Anyways the drinkability is a smooth drink and not to filling. (670 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour: 12oz bottle to snifter. Dark ruby body capped by a slight tan head that reduces quickly to nearly no lacing or remnants of any sort. Could be too cold...? Body of beer seems to be lying dormant as well. Looks to be somewhat dead in the glass, even after warming. Beautiful color though.

Nose: Cherries. Cherries. Cherries. Oh, and more cherries. Butterscotch & cinnamon. Seemingly uni-dimensional but oh so inviting. As it warms, it becomes sweet and sticky yet tart and dusty. Baking cocoa. Butter & brown sugar. Opens wide up.

Mouth: Has all the essences of something sweet, perhaps a cherry pie w/ a burnt crust. Yet the beer is dry, pleasantly playful with ripe and dried cherries, a hint of cranberry, and a lovely finish of roasted malts on swallowing. Lingering flavors, fruity and flora. Mouthfeel is carbonated in a way that lets you know its there but yields to the will of your mouth as you glide the liquid along each surface.

Quite a beer. (961 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +19.1%

This pours a dark brown with red highlights. Tan head even shows some reddish hints, but looks like the foam atop a root beer. Lacing is pretty thick and sexy looking.

This beauty smells like a chocolate covered cherry. It even has that cherry cordial taste with the creamy buttery sweetness. This is unimpressive in that it is the only real smell and taste that this beer offers... But it is impressive in that it really nailed that smell and taste. I mean really hit it on the delicious, heart-shaped-box-looking head. This is a fruit beer, not a stout. If reviewed as a stout, I would say it is below average... but in terms of fruit beers, this is more than tolerable. It is surprisingly quite good! When I handed it to the wife to try a sip, she didn't want to give it back.

Very nice carbonation and light body make me feel like I'm drinking a chocolate/cherry soda, not a stout.

All in all, a highly enjoyable brew that I am glad to have in my fridge and in some boxes going out... (991 characters)

Thumbprint Cherry Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company