1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Thumbprint Cherry Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Cherry StoutThumbprint Cherry Stout

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Formerly Unplugged Cherry Stout.

(Beer added by: badbeer on 02-21-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Cherry Stout Alström Bros

Poured cold from the bottle. This beer is a dark, red, cloudy colour with a minimal head. The smell was that of tart cherries with a hint of chocolate. The smell was also very sweet and malty. The taste was a very tart cherry that moved to a sweet, chocolate, mellow finish that lingered on the tongue for a bit.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%

Garnet-brown w/ tawny foam, lacing
S= Cherry cough syrup, initially, and then more cherry life saver. Possibly a faint whiff of acetic.
T=Blast of sweet and sour, the cherries quite prominent, the stout character is reduced to a subtle chocolate that surfaces in the finish.
M=medium body, not thin. The acidity tickles the tip of my nose each time I sip it (not really a mouth thing, but a feel thing).

I like the balance in this beer. I find many sours too sour for me, but this one is lovely.

4.8/5  rDev +28%

Poured a dark brown color with maybe a hint of reddish color to it. Just a bit of beige head on it. Smell is heavy cherries, can't pick up much else. Lots of cherry taste on the front end. Very bubbley mouthfeel. I guess there is some good lacing around the glass. Very light mouthfeel. I really like this beer. Can't wait to get some more.

4.8/5  rDev +28%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.
A: The pour brings a small head that is a wispy light tan and settles quickly to a foamy layer. The body on this stout is a deep amber, not much of the typical stout black, but the cherries are already present. Reflecting light that shows through the glass is a burst of red, that rays in the glass. lacing is left in small and dispersed form.

S: Without even sniffing the beer, when the glass is brought to the nose, you can sense the acidity of the cherries. A wonderful aroma of cherries that is very powerful, on the off aroma, the subtle but present notes of oak are shown. This is a very well balanced aroma for a cherry stout.

T/M: This is about as close to a stout as the Belgian Red could get. The brew shows a front of malts and barley that are very layered in taste. The body of NG cherry stout is a palate full of cherries, while adding a nice balance. The tartness of the cherries is a beautiful battle with the malt, that adds a great full flavor. The mouthfeel is a silky, medium bodied brew. The off taste are very powerful cherry notes, that leave you with the sensation that you have just eaten a fresh bowl of cherries.

D: With exceptional flavors, this beer is quite possibly the best cherry stout I have ever had. A great finish has you coming back for more, but slowly so you can enjoy the full complexities of the entire experience. If I had to choose one cherry beer to have forever, this would be it, not too overly powerful of cherries, but the right amount of rich ale balance.

4.78/5  rDev +27.5%

Thanks to Justin for sending this my way.

I poured it into a snifter and it produce a short lived tan head that faded away to a thin lace. The body of the brew was dark brown in color. It has a huge cherry nose on it and the chocolate roast was awesome. It was like a great box of cherry chocolates which have been a favorite of mine since childhood.
The flavor was more of the same sweet and tart cherry and chocolate goodness. A great brew I wish I had more. I hope this makes it to the normal rotation it was to good. I shed a man tear as the last sip passed thru my lips thinking I may never see this brew again

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Aroma holds an overripe slightly sour aroma that I associate with rotting oranges, but that I assume to be cherries. The oak aroma is definitely alive in there as well. My first impression from the aroma is that it smells like an orange laced Flemish Sour which is intruiging.

Color is dark brown to black and the head is tan and diminished quickly to a dime thin affair.

Mmmm lots of tart cherry in the fore then very quickly you taste sweet cherry notes and then just as quickly chocolate malts play across the tongue. Very fast transitions of flavors. A sort of cake/eclair pastry like sweet and wholesome flavor flows from the middle to the finish. I swear I taste hints of over ripe orange juice, but it’s probably the combined oak/sour cherry flavors merging to suggest that vanila flavor. The chocolate asspect seems to become less pronounced as it warms and more of the sourness and cherry comes through, though it never completely fades...it mostly just slides further back in the order and so you get more chocolate in the finish. Vanilla notes also come out as it warms along with more of the oak.

For a fruit beer it has quite a nice mouthfeel. I have to say I am pretty floored. This was much better than I thought it would be. NG is just a fantastic brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

I had honestly been looking for this one forever. An unplugged I never thought I would get, I was thrilled to say the least to get ahold of this gem. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, I enjoyed this one over the course of a few hours this afternoon.

The pour was nice enough. Dark brown with a hint of light coming through on the sides and the bottom of the glass, no where near opaque. Nice light head here, rich tan color and subtle fading left behind rings of lace in its wake. The aroma was succulent. Rich cherries and hints of woody notes. Spices of all kind blended in, rich as all hell, this was more of a cherry ale then a stout, but superb. As I took my first sip I melted into the floor. Rich, tart and yet sweet cherry notes, peppery and loaded with spice. Such complexity, such richness, this was indeed exactly what I was looking for. Smooth, light body with a nice carbonation that was great for an ale, but light for a stout, I was none the less blow away by the flavor here, the wonderful balance, and most perfect use of cherries. This is a beer I will forever remember. Something to really be proud of, I fantastic offering.

12oz bottle purchased at steve's liquors for 8.99 a 4 pack

A-light looking for a stout barely a head. The head comes when you pour it but quickley goes completely away.

S-tons of cherrys, almost smells just like their belgian red, also some licorice.

T-Burnt delicious cherries. This beer is absolutely delicious. New Glarus really knows how to stand out with their beer.

M- Crisp, fresh and tons of carbonation. I know there will be people who will not like this beer because it is not what they have come to know from a stout.

D- High. Great delicious beer! What I love about craft beer

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Big thanks to alcstradamus for bringing me a case of this delicious nectar from my favoritist brewery in the world. Anything New Glarus puts fruit in is pure gold. Drank from my New Glarus flute while watching the 2010 NCAA tourney.

Appearance- Pours a fairly clear deep crimson brown with a small half finger light tan head that fizzles away fairly quickly. No cap is left but a small collar is maintained along with just a touch of random lacing.
Smell- Man I love the smell of this beer as it's A LOT like Belgium Red. Loads of fruity fresh cherries that are clean and brilliantly bright. A bit of woodiness mixed in adds a light vanilla tone that is barely noticeable above all those cherries. That's about it. Nothing that specifically would make you think stout in the nose.
Taste- Starts just like the nose. Tons of fruity macerated cherries that are lightly tart and extremely fresh tasting. Once the fruitiness fades an earthy undertone of a slight roast peaks through. Maybe a touch of chocolate or coffee as a light roasted bitterness interrupts the slight sweetness of the residual cherries. The finish presents a light char along with a bit of cherry that never really seems to leave.
Mouthfeel- A bit lighter than what you'd expect from a stout but still somewhere near medium. The carbonation is lightly aggressive but it's still somewhat smooth on the tongue.
Drinkability- I really love this beer a lot. Although the Stout part of the beer isn't a integral part of the beer it still adds something different. Saying that I love fruit beers and I especially love fruit beers where the fruit is super intense like it is here. A Stout lovers dream? No. But a fruit lover's dream - yes! Thanks much Adam!

4.73/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark with cherry amber hues. Fine head.

Smell: Cherry, sweet, very little malt notes, Delicious. The dark color and sweet cherry flavors are kind of messing with me and I'm really enjoying it.

Taste: Wow. I really dig this. Lot's of cherry, almost to a lambic. There is a surprisingly little malt and stout to this. It's not as sweet as the Belgian Red but the cherry flavor is on par. It's like the cherry flavor notes with a more rounded profile. It's got a cleaner finish with some wheat notes coming through. As a desert beer, this is up there.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation levels that match the sweet flavors perfectly. Thin and spreads well.

Overall: Wow, I really enjoy this. I think it's a pretty hit or miss brew based on some of the reviews but they can send me their bottles. I do agree that the 'stout' is a misnomer, it should be "Belgian Red-dark" or something along those lines because there is a near complete lack of malt notes. As a desert beer, this is up there.

4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

appearance: The pour gives a 0.3" dark khaki head that quickly fizzes away to just a thin ring around the glass. Almost no head retention. The beer is a clear, reddish chestnut brown in color.

smell: The aroma is very similar to the taste in that I find an abundance of tart cherries smoothed out by their natural sugars, well blended with aromas of roasted malts...which bring to the table nuances of cocoa. It differs from the taste in that I find a much more obvious oak aroma, reminding me of the smell inside an old hardwood house. Ridiculously complex to my nasal passages. Drool...

mouthfeel: The carbonation is around a high medium, but very smooth on the tongue. The body is pretty light.

taste: First off I get big flavors of tart yet sweet cherries seamlessly blended with light roasted and sweet malts. There is soon a segue into flavors of cocoa and too old coffee grounds (in a good way). I pick up just a hint of wood from the oak barrels. No hops detected, save for maybe a touch of bitterness. Very nice.

drinkability: 4.0 for ease of drinking, 4.5 because I want more and more and more

Shipped to me from WI courtesy of dirtylou

Got a couple bottles from flyingbison in trade, and consumed them early 2007...still tasting great.

6/01/2010 - got a couple bottles of the re-release from the dirtman, absolutely love this beer, the cherry character is gorgeous, fresh red cherry on wood, loads cocoa rolled toffee, tootsie roll, on the sweet side of things, outstanding stuff, bumped mouthfeel and taste 0.5 each

1/2011 - last bottle from the second release, cherry really kicking through now, both on the nose and palate, lots of cherry pie and jolly rancher-vivid aromas, still thinking tootsie roll chocolate, delicate oak essence, just a drop of roasty astringency towards the back, will miss this one

4.65/5  rDev +24%

Bottle poured into my Stone IRS snifter. Traded for this bottle. Thanks mothman!

A - Dark black body with a purple hue? Circle of white head rests on top.

S - Is this a beer? It smells like maraschino cherries. Nice sweet cherry flavor similar to the Belgian Red. Not picking up on much malt or other normal beer aromas. Still it smells delicious

T - Nice cherry flavor up front and finishes with a nice tart cherry flavor. Once again not picking up much on normal beer flavors. Maybe a hint of dark chocolate in the finish as well. Similar to a chocolate covered cherry. This is pretty good!

M - medium to heavy body with a fair amount of carbonation

D - pretty damn drinkable. I really like the cherry flavor in this one. A little more chocolate or roast and this one would be a grand slam. Really good beer and I'd love to have this one again.

Edit: Going back and bumping up my ratings on this. I really love this beer. The cherry flavor mingles with the normal stout notes to make something truly extraordinary. I wish I had this all the time.

Thumbprint Cherry Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company