Thumbprint Cherry Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: badbeer on 02-21-2006

Formerly Unplugged Cherry Stout.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Cherry Stout Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

More cherry than stout, and good deal of sourness in finish. Reddish tinge to black stout, pinkish foam. Good amount of lace. Well carbonated and a tongue numbing, very drinkable as long as you like the sourness. Barrel woodiness mid sip satisfying cherry aftertaste. Thanks Flyingbison.
Five years later, had a two-year aged thanks to Steve. Still active carbonation Sour a touch funky aroma, Flanders Red type flavour. Love it even more. Good sourness. Wood is only in aftertaste, well integrated. (499 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Pours a cola brown color with a modest tan head that drops to a ringlet and leaves a nice pattern of lace

Smell: Chocolate covered tart cherries

Taste: From the get go, there is a tango between the dark chocolate and sweet/sour cherry flavors that build in intensity to mid-palate; after the swallow, the tartness tends to dominate but there is an undertone of chocolate that lasts well into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Reading through the reviews, this is a most misunderstood beer (or perhaps it just tasted differently when it was younger); while there is some cherry sweetness, the bold tart flavors provide a nice foil to the chocolate and make this a very interesting creation; if it were classified as a Chocolate Flanders Red, that might capture BAs' attention more appropriately; kudos, New Glarus

And thanks, Unknown BA, for sharing (912 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Bottle: Poured a clear dark red color ale with a huge light brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing - this does not resemble as stout at all. Aroma of cough syrup and sweet cherries is more dominant then I would have expected. Taste is not as overly dominated by the cough syrup notes but cherry taste is quite dominant with light tart aftertaste. Body is about average with good carbonation. I was expecting a stout based on the name alone so I was a bit surprise when I poured this in my glass. Very interesting beer though cherry taste is overwhelming. (568 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Cherry Stout looks more like a cherry porter. It's dark, dusky crimson when brightly backlit, with objects easily seen on the opposite side of the glass. The two finger head is sandstone in color and is one of the lightest that I've ever seen on a beer of this style. It isn't a bad look as long as I reset my expectations.

The nose is way too weak, although it does begin to open up with even a few minutes of warming. Fermented cherries is mixed with a weak dark maltiness, an oaky woodiness and a strangely appealing spiciness. Other than that 'weak' part, it sounds great. It's something less than great in actual practice.

First of all, Unplugged Cherry Stout isn't what I expected. For starters, the ABV is only 6.5% when I thought it was a much bigger beer. Having said that, I like it. It tastes pretty much how it smells, but for some reason it works better on the palate. I'm still not sure about the stout classification since there's so much sweet and sour fruitiness.

In fact, it tastes a little like Belgian Red made with dark malt rather than pale. I'm fine with the huge amount of fermented cherry flavor, I'd just like to see more roasted malt on the bottom end. I can still appreciate an intriguing spiciness that has to be related to the oak barrel aging somehow. Either that or a Belgian yeast strain was used. Warming makes everything more vivid without changing the basic flavor profile.

The mouthfeel score would be at least one notch lower if I judged it as a stout. However, it's so incredibly smooth and silky that I have no problem singing its praises. Since New Glarus usually excels when it comes to mouthfeel, I'm not at all surprised.

Sour Brown Ale was the only other beer of this series that I've had. Even though I don't like this quirky Unplugged offering nearly as well, I still had a good time with a beer that is much more cherry than stout. (1,894 characters)

Re-reviewing this, as the 2nd release seems different than the 1st batch.

Pours a dark shade of brown, but reveals a high clarity dark ruby in the light. Not too stouty in that respect. Solid finger of foam, recedes slowly, random arcs of lace are left. Patchy islands of bubbles remain on the unbroken surface.

Aroma is somewhat artificial cherry candy at first, but improves as it warms, segueing into oak and green wood. Flavors of sweet and tart cherry, vanilla, and toasted marshmallow. Seems like a blend of Belgian Red and mild stout, not that it's a bad thing, just another fruit beer variation. Any roast or chocolate notes are dominated by the cherry steamroller, although there is a hint of dry tootsie roll sweetness in the aftertaste. The tartness seems out of character for a stout, but not too far out, considering NG's recent historical porter recreation.

Overall I can dig it, but it's a little too much in the fruit beer category than stout. It's unique at the very least, and worth trying.

12-21-2007
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4
rDev: +5.5%

Poured into an 8 oz. mini-pint glass. Liquid is a medium toned brown, not black or opaque. A finger of foam initially rises but soon dwindles to a ring around the edge. In the glass, the liquid is a darker shade of brown with slight chestnut highlights at the edges. A solid ring of sediment remains in the bottle.

Aroma reminds me of Enigma immediately. Wood, spice, and maybe a touch of chocolate in this one. Same musty vegetal note, but with deep spice and wood that makes it pleasant. Are there any other spontaneously fermented stouts out there? JP Madrugada is the only other I can think of.

Dry sour cherry is balanced by chocolate malt. Savory chocolate, toffee and oak in the finish. Bitterness is nonexistent, and it's not a "roasty" stout, but it's a distinctive interpretation of the style. It starts out a little thin, but the long residual flavors make up for any lack of body.

Sipping this one, since it's my last, but also knowing this is just one page from the book that Dan Carey is writing so masterfully. It definitely feels like the precursor to Enigma, hopefully one day we'll see a year-round Flanders ale from New Glarus. (2,243 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%

I had honestly been looking for this one forever. An unplugged I never thought I would get, I was thrilled to say the least to get ahold of this gem. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, I enjoyed this one over the course of a few hours this afternoon.

The pour was nice enough. Dark brown with a hint of light coming through on the sides and the bottom of the glass, no where near opaque. Nice light head here, rich tan color and subtle fading left behind rings of lace in its wake. The aroma was succulent. Rich cherries and hints of woody notes. Spices of all kind blended in, rich as all hell, this was more of a cherry ale then a stout, but superb. As I took my first sip I melted into the floor. Rich, tart and yet sweet cherry notes, peppery and loaded with spice. Such complexity, such richness, this was indeed exactly what I was looking for. Smooth, light body with a nice carbonation that was great for an ale, but light for a stout, I was none the less blow away by the flavor here, the wonderful balance, and most perfect use of cherries. This is a beer I will forever remember. Something to really be proud of, I fantastic offering. (1,155 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Poured out a deep, dark red. It was the color of the skin of a black cherry. It had a small, tan head with pink highlights. It left minimal lacing. Although it looks nothing like a stout it is still a good looking brew because of how unique it is.

S - The aroma is all black cherries. Not much else.

T - It had a great black cherry flavor with a sour tart punch. There is a very muted caramel and chocolate malt touch. Not much bitterness at all.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light bodied fruit beer that is not sticky at all.

D - The "stout" in the title is misleading but I knew from experience with New Glarus that this was good to be a good fruit beer and it was. It's amazing that they can produce yet another fruit brew that doesn't come out with a sticky/cloying mouthfeel. (797 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks to Craig for sending me this one awhile back.

A: The pour is a mildly muddled mahogany color (apologies for the consonance).

S: Pure cherries on the nose. A really nice sweetness and fruit note that is almost reminiscent of the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

T: The cherries come through strongest off the bat and are nice and sweet, but not artificial tasting at all. As the beer warms and subsequent sips are taken, a nice chocolate flavor comes out. This one has an almost tootsie roll taste to it.

M: The body is medium with a nice moderate carbonation to it.

D: One of the best of the Unplugged beers to this point. I really loved the great cherry flavor and the stout component underneath. (699 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark brown body with plenty of amber-hued hints at the edges and topped with a slim, off-white head.

Smell: It really just smells more akin to a brown ale given a large, vibrant top note of Luden's Cherry throat drops.

Taste: A roundabout gulp of cherry-flavored cola with extra added toasty malt tastes. Fairly sweet throughout. Lightly tart. There's a bit of middling woodiness from the oak, but, for the most part, the cherries take center stage. Even farther down into the cherry bin you'll find some slight mustiness, but, at best, it's reserved. Closes out as sweet and fruity as it kicked off.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. Lightly sticky in the mouth.

Overall: It's a very fine beer, don't get me wrong, but not a stout. Instead of "cherry stout" call it "stout cherry", because there's definitely plenty of cherriness within. (888 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Thanks to JulianC for this bottle!

Haven't been able to make a Wisconsin run in some time, but luckily I have a bit of a hookup... This stuff pours a ruby-highlighted black-sienna topped by a finger of ashen tan foam. The nose comprises sweet black cherry awash in a roasty cocoa sea. ...Or is it the other way around...? Or both? Knowing my philosophy, it's both. The taste brings in more of the same, with the cherry occasionally taking on some mildly tart, almost tannic qualities, but mostly sticking with the sweet foundation set up in the smell. The cocoa is now a tad roastier, though some sweeter factions pop up every now and again as well, and a pinch of coffee makes itself known at random intervals. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a pretty tasty cherry stout, one that seems to stray happily away from the medicinal qualities of other fruited beers without going tooth-achingly sweet in the process. A nice balance is also maintained between the cherry and the roast. Good times. (1,108 characters)

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a deep clear ruby, with a finger of light mocha head with maybe even just a little bit of a pinkish hue to it. This retains with some creamy bunching around the edges of the glass, with a solidly robust flareup that leaves some patchy swathes of lacing down the sides. The aroma is straight up cherry juice and vanilla notes, with the sweetness and sugars of this reminding me a lot of an old fashioned cherry soda. I'm getting just a smidge of cocoa and roast in the background, just enough to shake the nose up a bit. I will say that this is VERY full and assertive though. I'm digging it.

The taste is very similar to the aroma, with a bright cherry flavor to it, along with some backing notes of chocolate and just a touch of dark roast that helps cut the tartness of the cherries some. Some lightly spicy hops run through this, giving this a quick zip of spicy bitterness. Lingering tart cherry juice and some residual sugars hang on the lips after each sip. The mouthfeel medium bodied, with a bubbly and creamier feel up front that then gets sharper in the back. There's a definite smooth slickness underneath that keeps this easy and very drinkable.

At first this doesn't come off as very "Stout-like" but give it some time and let those subtle roasty notes work on you and it becomes a little more evident what they were trying for here. I will say though that this is pretty darn heavy on the cherry but I didn't mind so much. This was some pretty tasty stuff! (1,514 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -22.8%

Another New Glarus thanks to levifunk. I really liked the Old English Porter, but not as much the Totally Naked, although the Stone Soup wasn't bad. Hopefully this is another from the Unplugged series that totally rocks.

A: A nice fizzy 1 finger head rises up and fades at a medium pace. It's a dark brown almost black color with hints of light coming through on all parts that are not really thick, and gives off the slightest dark red tinge.

N: The nose is like cherry cough syrup and cherry Lifesavers. Seriously! I think I get the slightest hint of dark malts, a touch of roast, and a little sour cherry. But just butt loads of cherry. WTF! A little too heavy on the cherry.

T: I'm a little afraid to taste it now... but alas it must be done. Oh damn! More of the same! Lots of cherry cough syrup and cherry Lifesaver! Ug! I didn't sign up for this. Why New Glarus, why?!?!?! As it warms I get the slightest... wait, not all I get is friggen cherry! Cherry syrup, cough syrup, candy, sour cherry, like all kinds of cherry combined to bombard every sense. I don't get any stout flavors as all! Oh yeah, it's also super sweet. So sweet, my wife who puts 10, that's right TEN sugars in her coffee can't drink this!

M: Medium body with decent carbonation and quite a bit of a spicy cherry tingle to it.

F: Lots of sticky sweet cherry, cherry syrup, candy, a little cough syrup, chewy cherry candy, again you name it and it came from cherry. Damn, I really would have liked SOMETHING other than just cherry. Perhaps some actual STOUT flavors would be nice! I can't, in all good conscience, give this a good rating. Perhaps a drain pour, I'll see if I can get through the whole thing, or perhaps give it to my wife. I tried, even she can't drink this! I think a drain pour which is sad. (1,789 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours an effervescent crimson/caramel with 2+ fingers of sand colored head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Cherry juice by the ton, some tartness & woody notes

T: Cherry juice with some booze warmth & not much else up front, maybe a touch of tartness. Winey characteristics that scream more than the advertised ABV, sweet cherry dominates along with a touch of plum hiding on the back of the tongue. Cherry juice finish with some booze sharpness, plus some oaky notes, verging on vanilla

MF: Slick, warm to burning actually on boozeyness, with some tartness sneaking around the corner, then a general wetness

Pretty drinkable, but has some surprisingly rough edges, for a beer that's allegedly 6.5% ABV. This has some flaws but tastes natural, so I would recommend this, I'm sure this beer will age very nicely (819 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled over branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Thanks to Duff27 for the bottle. Expectations are high given the brewery and style, though the current ratings seem rather low. Aged in oak barrels according to the label. Uses 8 different maled barleys. Brewed with cherries. Label art is nothing to write home about.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours an audibly fizzing head of beige colour, poor thickness, and bad (~10 second) retention. No lacing whatsoever. Not horribly impressed with the head, especially at a paltry 6.50%. Body colour is a refined understated dark amber. Semitransparent and semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Not at all what I expected for a Cherry Stout, but I suppose New Glarus isn't known for churning out predictable beers. Still, this one doesn't look all that great. I'm excited to try it regardless.

Sm: Ugh. Distinct cherry cough syrup; it's uncanny. I've joked about cough syrup aromas in previous reviews, but this really really evokes it. In any case, the cherry seems chemical and artificial, not genuine or fruit-like. The aroma is really turning me off to it. Ugh. Maybe there's candi sugar when I really look for it? A pretty strong, pungent aroma. I don't detect any yeast or alcohol.

T: Better than the aroma, to be sure. Clean malts form the body, with a pleasant lightly sour cherry kick on the climax. Sugary and candy-like. Good sweetness is balanced well by light caramel. The oak is nowhere to be found. Lightly tart. Enjoyable. It's decently balanced, if a bit too sweet. Not horribly complex or subtle, but it gets the job done. I do like it, but this is not the level of quality I've come to expect from New Glarus. I do like the cherry.

Mf: Smooth, wet, a bit too thick, and slightly undercarbonated. Full-bodied. Too heavy on the palate. A bit viscous, but I wouldn't call it syrupy. Suits the flavour profile okay.

Dr: The appearance and aroma really had me concerned, but it wasn't a train-wreck after all. Still, I do expect more from New Glarus and this so-called "Cherry Stout" wasn't at all what the name might suggest...that wouldn't be an issue if it was amazing anyway, but it's neither a cherry stout nor a very good beer. I definitely think it's worth trying and I like the experimentation, but this one missed the mark. They need to commit more to the spontaneous fermentation/cherry combination or to the oak aging; neither is well explored here. Glad I got to try this one. Thanks again, Duff27!

Low C (2,789 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%

Picked up a single at Discount Liquor. Served in a Surly pint glass.

A - Weird looking "stout" here. Pours with a half-finger of light tan foam that settles to a thin cap. Not much in the way of lacing. Body is transparent mahogany or cherrywood - I suppose that's strangely appropriate. Somewhat attractive, but not what I was expecting.

S - Smells like cherry syrup, along with some oaky vanilla. Not getting much stout character here. Reminds me of a cherry version of Cran-bic, with maybe the faintest hint of cocoa. There seems to be some allspice as well. If you like sweets, you'll probably dig this quite a bit.

T - Taste is more akin to a dark cherry sour (in the mold of Supplication), but things are out of balance. Some cocoa and roast flavors mingle with a heavy dose of sweet and slightly tart cherries. There's also a little bit of tannic oak and sour character in the finish. Not bad, but a little...odd.

M - Too much carbonation for my liking - it's a little harsh and burning. Body is medium-light and texture is fairly smooth. There's some dry, tartness, as well as some oak at the end.

D - Very strange duck here. The most apt comparison might be the Kuhnhenn "Olde Brune", except this has half as much alcohol in it (and is much less expensive/widespread). Carbonation bloat makes this more fatiguing to drink. I'd be curious to try this in a few years to see if the wild yeast does anything interesting.

I'm glad this is listed as a Fruit/Vegetable beer, as there isn't all that much stout present. I might have scored it higher if the name had been Wild Cherry or something. (1,603 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New Glarus Cherry Stout. Brewed and bottled in New Glarus, WI. On the side of the label, some of the same blah-blah-blah, then, "This is Dan's Gold Medal winning "Cherry Stout." This ale is aged in oak barrels to promote the spontaneous fermentation. Eight Wisconsin malted barleys combined with Wisconsin Montmorency cherries make for a complex and subtle taste experience that you may never find again. Discover why Dan is repeatedly recognized as the Best Brewmaster in America."

Dark brown color, mostly opaque, some clarity in spots. Pink-ish brown head appears, then slims down with certainty.

Ripe, vibrant cherry aromatics, happy mix of sweet and sour, rounded out by the oak barrel action.

Taste: Once in the mouth, more sweet and sour, more flashes of fruity brilliance. Not too much happens underneath, however. I feel that if this hadn't been called a stout, I'd find some way around this disappointment. As it is, I find it lacking a a "stout." Tell you what, I'll forget it as a "stout" and think of it as a dark version of the Wisconsin Cherry Red. If I didn't, I'd find the malt too mild, lacking roast, lacking a lot of stout-y elements. Removing that aspect of my expectations, I'd be very fond of the flavor. (1,230 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

From 7/9/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasting.

a - Pours a ruby red with a tint of brown.

s - Smells of cherries, dark fruits, and oak.

t - Tastes of cherries, with some tartness to it. Also a little bit of chocolate?

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A very nice beer, especially if you like cherries. I thought it was very easy to drink and one of the better fruit beers I've had. Would love to try again. (418 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Another unplugged beer. Beer is brown to red with a thin head that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass but overall carbonation is low.

Aroma is strong strong strong cherry. There is really nothing else in this beer but the aroma of cherries. Very interesting.

The flavor is also almost entirely cherry. Call me crazy but if you cal something a stout I expect some roast but what do I know right. Its easy to drink, mouthfeel is fine. (436 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours hardly any off white head. Color is a deep brown, basically black unless held to the light.

Aroma: Tons of fresh cherries. It reminds me a lot of the WI Belgian Red. It hardly even smells like a stout. Some chocolate, but that is pretty much it.

Taste: Pretty much epic. It reminds me of when I mixed ST Choklate and WI Belgian Red together. Tons of fresh cherries and chocolate. Not too many flavors but it is incredibly good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and refreshing. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry with cherries.

Overall, NG put out another solid beer in the unplugged series. Glad to see this one un-retired. It is very easy drinking and I can tell I want more already. (754 characters)

Bottle drank at bu11zeye's 10,000th rating tasting.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is full of very sweet cherries. The flavor is very similar. There is a ton of cherry syrup, as well a some lightly roasted malt. Overall, the beer is very sweet. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (322 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz bottle
Served into a tulip glass

A: Deep brown with some maroon hues throughout. Initially a big, rocky and foamy slightly off-white head forms with a decent rate of dissipation. Bits of lacing along the walls but the retention falls flat on its face, leaving not even a ring behind the more shallow the glass becomes.

S: Dark cherry, sour cherry candy, sweet caramel malts and even a hint of chocolate malt towards the back. It certainly smells nothing like a "stout," as the name suggests. Truly, this isn't but a nice fruity and malty smelling ale nonetheless.

T: A wash of somewhat tart and sour cherry coats the palate and mid. The flavor doesn't change until the back end and into the linger where the rich malt base comes through. Plenty of caramel and roasted malts. Hints of chocolate dance but never come center. Still, a very unique and interesting blending of flavors. Certainly sweet though.

M: Highly carbonated, bubbly and even fizzy on the palate. Coats very nicely as the malts in the linger give it a good feel.

I honestly really enjoyed this beer. It seems to me that New Glarus have mastered the "fruit" beers, and this is no exception. While a bit sweet, they contain massive amounts of fruits, which are by nature, sweet! This is one brewery I really wish I could find in my area. (1,313 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to masterchiefMD for sharing this at my most recent tasting.

A: Brown (stout?), ruby-tinged, moderate head and decent lacing

S: Fresh cherries - smells remarkably similar to Wisconsin Belgian Red. This is really different than what I expected.

T: Cherries are the dominant flavor for sure. Sweet and tasty. I have a hard time calling this beer a stout. It drinks more like a dark cherry ale. I was hoping this beer would be slightly thicker and bigger, and not so overrun by fruit...again.

M: Thin, mild carbonation. Decent feel.

D: While it is pleasant, the sweetness becomes cloying rather quickly. (613 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth tulip. Poured dark brown in color with a very thin, fizzy and spotty head. The head disappeared completely after a minute and left no lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a big cherry juice flavor to it with some sweet chocolate as well. Smells like a nice desert. Not a lot of roasty stout flavors coming through. I love cherries though and the fresh cherry flavor is appealing to me.

The taste is similar in that the fresh cherry juice flavor really overpowers everything else. Like the nose a little chocolate comes through, but not much roastiness. It's almost like a Belgian Red with a little chocolate flavor to it.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side and carbonation is high. Drinkability is good for me, but I love cherries. Someone expecting a big stout flavor would probably be disappointed in this where people liking a big fresh cherry flavor would love it. As I said before it was like Belgian Red with some chocolate flavor. Personally I liked it a lot but like I said I love cherries. It would have been interesting to see how a bit more chocolate and roasty stout flavors worked with the big cherry flavor though. Reviewing this as fruit beer and comparing it to others in the style instead of as a stout, it scores very well. (1,288 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz, red foil capped bottle poured into a snifter, 2010 bottling.

Pours a clear, dark brown with ruby highlights. Large tan head that fades to a thin crown and thin streaks of lacing. Aroma is...whoa. Very sweet cherry with mild wood notes trying to provide some balance but failing. Flavor is definitely more cherry cola than cherry stout, beginning extremely sweet before a slightly more tart finish with some light vanilla oak flavor. Medium mouthfeel with soft carbonation and no alcohol presence. Wish I had thought to try the Belgian Red before this. Cherry beers aren't my favorite, especially overly sweet ones, but I found this oddly enjoyable despite the sweetness. (678 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -44.3%

Pours a deep dark ruby red that is so dark it's almost black with golden ruby edges when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger light beige head. Very good retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that leaves streaks of lacing on it's way down.

The aroma is bursting with an intense syrupy cherry character. It smells a lot like a luden's cough drop and children's cold medicine. Whatever oak and malt notes are there are completely overpowering by the overly cloying sweet cherry presence. I'm sure they used real cherries but it smells incredibly artificial.

Medium bodied with a cloyingly sweet overpowering cherry flavor. Again it is very syrupy and artificial tasting even if the cherries are real. There are some chocolate/toasted malt notes underneath but this beer is too one dimensional with a boat load of sickening cherry sweetness. (855 characters)

Thumbprint Cherry Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company