Thumbprint Cherry Stout - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: badbeer on 02-21-2006

Formerly Unplugged Cherry Stout.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Cherry Stout Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev +10.9%

Served in a Duvel tulip, slightly chilled

A - pours a dark brown, translucent, not opaque like i'd expect from a stout. Fluffy light brown head which dissipates over several minutes.

S - Big time cherry, not too sweet, but it dominates the nose. Hints of chocolate

T - Wow, intense cherry up front with subtle chocolate and roasted malt as the cherry fades. Not what I expected, but very nice

M - thinner than most stouts with lots of carbonation, but, it works for me.

O - I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, definitely not run of the mill stout for me, but I've also gotten used to the barrel aged imperial stouts as of late, so it was hard for me not to be comparing this one to those, so I tried my best to review this for what it was. Overall, I really enjoyed this one, another excellent release from NG!

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks for opening this one with me, NoSignsOfPain!

A dark brown with ruby throughout, and a moderately sized very light brown head that eventually leaves dots of stick to the glass. It already doesn't look like much of a stout, though that being said, it doesn't look like any fruit beer I'd ever tried before either. Unique.

The aroma is very fruit-forward, with fresh cherry juice and earthy cherry skins dominating. There's perhaps just the very faintest hint of roast, but the cherries are dominant and smell very nice.

The flavor too is very fruit-forward; this ain't no stout. This has lots of sweet, nearly syrupy, cherry flavor. There's not a lot other than cherry flavor, surprisingly, especially with the word "stout" on the front of the bottle.

Medium bodied with high carbonation--very appropriate for this fruit beer.

As a fruit beer, it's quite lovely. As a stout--well, it isn't at all a stout. An interesting beer to have to review, but it was delicious, and, in the end, that's all that really matters.

A-Pours with lots of fluffy off-white foam. The beer itself though is deep red with a light brown at the edges.
S-Strong aroma of tart cherries, smells nearly identical to their Belgian Red. There is also a very strong creamy sweet aroma.
T-Almost all cherry flavor. There is a hint, a very very slight hint that I may be making myself think is there, of roasted malt and toffee. There is quite a bit of sweetness but also a distinct tart flavor.
M-Highly carbonated, fairly light bodied sweet all the way through with an acidic dryness in the back of the throat.
Overall, had they not called this beer a stout I would have given it a much better review. If they had just called it cherry ale I would have given it a very very good review but as a stout it's not good. It is a very tasty beer, I love the cherry flavor but it simply is not a stout. It has almost zero stout character. I'd higly recommend this beer because it is delicious but it is not a stout.

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a dark brown, looks like cola with a thin soapy off white head that barely created a collar. Some light lacing on the glass the clings on for a bit. Looks fairly heavily carbonated.

Nose reminds me of New Glarus's Wisconsin Belgian Red, sweet ripe cherries, some light almond. There's a bit of light milk chocolate peeking through, but the stout is masked by the cherries.

Taste is sweet cherries upfront, then mild balsamic vinegar mid tongue. Cherry flavor continues into a medium finish, with milk chocolate and light roasted coffee. Cherry is definitely at the forefront in the flavor as well.

Light body and very heavily carbonated with fine carbonation that pricks at your tongue as it sits. An interesting cherry based beer though the stout is a bit of an afterthought.

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Received this as an extra in a recent trade, and was really excited to try it as I've enjoyed some of my previous New Glarus offerings. The poured with ZERO head. Usually I pour stouts slowly down the side of a tilted glass so I don't have an excessive head. However, when it started off without any semblance of one, I poured it largely into an upright glass. No head. This is not opaque. Light DOES permeate through the body of this beer. The nose is straight up cherry. Almost too much cherry. The taste was the start of the real let down. This is sooo tart, without anything else typical of a stout being present. I just don't get this beer. The mouthfeel is borderline terrible. It's very thin, unlike what I've come to expect and enjoy in a stout. I could have finished this beer, but really had no desire to whatsoever.

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%

New Glarus Unplugged Cherry Stout

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours deep amber-brown and backlighting reveals nice clarity. Head is not noteworthy.

S: Surprise, surprise, pie cherries are front and center. Smells sweet like an Icee.  Additional aromas include vanilla, wood, and subtle vinegar.

T: Sweet pie cherries with vanilla that lead into very light notes of wood and vinegar. A little chocolate mousse presents itself in finish.

M: Light body and fizzy carbonation. Drinks like a two-liter of pop that is just showing signs of going flat.

O: Too sweet, too light and too simple.  I'm coming to the conclusion that New Glarus fruit ales are simply different points on the same spectrum. And it all tastes like delicious pop. Not delicious beer.

2.09/5  rDev -44.4%

Courtesy of my boy Peesie..

Whoa..um, appearance is a bit off. A translucent brown with some decent carbonation. Cherry Brown? Does not look like it's going to be thick or rich. Aroma of cherry, sweet, cloying cherry, not much else.
Much like the other of NG's fruit beers that I've attempted, sweet, a bit cloying. Are all of Wisconsin's cherries sweet? Maybe I've asked this question before. Not at all impressed by this beer. I was expecting some lush dark beverage infused with roast and chocolate to play off of the cherry. In that combination, I feel you can get away with a little sweet cherry if you have the bitter dark end to balance. Another disappointment from these guys.

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured in to my bruery tulip, dark brown with a thin head. Aroma of alcohol and cherries combine to make a cough syrup like aroma. Taste is way better than the nose, lots of cherry juice thins out this stout, the oak is there but the malts aren't very present. Not a bad change of pace but not a real stout.

4.44/5  rDev +18.1%

A thinner body, yet still black stout. Mild head. Big cherry aroma. No other brewery does cherry better than NG.

Thin malt bill (dehusked malt to allow color but not the typical thickness or chewiness?) allows for an amazing plethora of cherry sensation coupled with mild and dry roasting in a stout. Love it. Provides some vanilla as a sidekick to cherry.

I remember how much people hated vanilla coke when it came back, this is like vanilla cherry stout. Instead of cherry vanilla soda, this is a mild stout with some woodiness complimenting the cherry and vanilla. The cherry is huge here, and no doubt, has turned some people off who just don't like cherries or even fruit in their beer. The ever so mild tartness is a further plus. Maybe a little thin in the mouthfeel for a traditional stout, but this is not a traditional stout. This was Melange before Melange was Melange.

I would love some kind of collaboration between these guys and the Bruery for a very special Unplugged Cherry Chocolate Rain. I mean, I love both beers, but this could use some bulking up (pretty confidant Black Tuesday could do that) and CCR could use more cherries, and these dudes are the cherry masters.

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%

Appears dark brown with a tan head.

It smells of tart cherries, roasted malts, chocolate and vanilla. It smells quite sour and strongly of cherries.

It tastes initially and strongly of tart cherries. There is a vanilla and wine like oak flavor. I also get a small amount of roasted malt, though this does not have the body I associate with a stout. It is great but it tastes like a dar4k cherry beer not a stout.

There is a thin and light mouthfeel.

Overall a great tart cherry beer though it is a bit lighter than most stouts. I love the string natural cherry flavor of the beer though.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

A-pours a dark brown with red edges and a bubbly tight light brown head.

S-tons of cherry juice, very much like belgian red, notes of vanilla underneath with a faint touch of roast in the back.

T-tons of sweet cherries, lightly sour, pound the tongue up front in a good way, light vanilla seems to blend with notes of roasted malts and light touches of dark chocolate behind come in towards the back. the malt body is very light and could present more strength but does add complexity to the belgian red this seems much like. those cherries are awesome they have!

M-medium body, creamy feel, a little oily in the back, assertive carbonation lively on the back of the throat, crisp and clean.

D-extremely drinkable beer, much like the belgian red only with notes of roasty rich malt. the malt could have made more of a presence to make this truly interesting as it seems like a small variation from a great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Pours a dark red/brown color with an inch tall head. Good lacing...excellent head retention for a fruit-based beer.

S-Smells very similar to Wisconsin Belgian Red, which is a great thing. Tart cherries.

T- More pure cherries. Oh god that's good. Tart with sweetness on the end. No hops detected.

M- May be this beers only weakness. It's not bad just a tad thin for as much flavor as it packs...unassuming maybe. Especially given in the "stout" moniker. More like a juice mouthfeel.

D/O- One of my favorites ever for sure. More drinkability than it's cousins WBR and Raspberry Tart. I shared this second to last bottle I owned with my bud who loves this beer just as much as I do, and rightfully so. This has held up well. Bring it back New Glarus!

4.79/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured a dark brown color with maybe a hint of reddish color to it. Just a bit of beige head on it. Smell is heavy cherries, can't pick up much else. Lots of cherry taste on the front end. Very bubbley mouthfeel. I guess there is some good lacing around the glass. Very light mouthfeel. I really like this beer. Can't wait to get some more.

3.31/5  rDev -12%

I am sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a fairly light chestnut hue with fizzy beige head of 1 cam foaming up and fading rapidly to a thin edge layer. There is some ruby red highlighting on the beer.
I was anticipating a more robust appearance on this beer. The beer exudes a rich fruity aroma with sweet and tart cherry notes mixing with some brown sugar and a bit of caramel. Not roasty or any chocolate that I was anticipating from the beer.
First sip reveals an average body with soft texture and very fine yet tingly carbonation. A little sticky sweet on my lips as I take each sip.
Flavor is malty briefly with some caramel and brown sugar and then rolls to some tart cherries. Also a bit of sweet candy sugar pokes up during each sip. There arent any hops or ABV notes that I can detect.
Overall the beer is easy to drink but is a little cloyingly sweet. I wouldnt want more than one of these in an evening, and Im not sure I would quest this beer out again.
Decent if you have a sweet tooth or like cherries, but not very stoutish and could get to be too much rather quickly in an evening.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Reviewed from notes:
Thanks to bmoyer0301 for sending this my way:

appearance: black with a red hue and a 2 finger off white head

smell: cherry from luden's cough drops

taste: cherry soda like,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, crisp finish

drinkability: if you like cherry's maybe this one is for you.

the CPJ

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

Looks black upon first appearance, but appears reddish purple when held to the light. Tan colored head with slight pink-purple highlights. Good looking beer.

Aroma is very strongly cherry -- a lot like the Wisconsin Belgian Red, but with a smidge of chocolate & slightly less cherry.

Strong cherry flavor with just a little chocolate roast character. Not quite enough roast to seem like a true stout. Tart with a minimal sweet -- just enough for a tiny bit of balance.

Mouthfeel is a bit light for a stout, though well carbonated. Good beer.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle. I'm surprised I haven't rated this one sooner as I have had many of these in the past year or so but I guess I just never took notes! As I recall, this is a thin bodied "stout" with a nice cherry flavoring. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a fairly dark, clear reddish brown color with a 2 finger head that slowly settles out. Chery Coke. In fact, more like frozen Cherry Coke is what the aroma reminds me off. Sweet cherries and vanilla in the nose. The taste is not unlike the nose with a heavy dose of sweet cherry flavoring up front with so lingering bitterness in the back end. No real heavy roast notes here by any means. There's a woodiness quality to it as well. I'm glad it's labeled as a fruit beer because as a stout I would be pretty disappointed. Some lace left on th glass.

3.84/5  rDev +2.1%

EDIT: ok what the hell? The label says "Cherry Stout" but BA classifies this as a "fruit/vegetable beer" which is what I thought it tasted like in the below review...OK I just checked New Glarus' website and this is indeed classified as a "Cherry Stout". So my review is accurate. Kind of sucks, because this is an awesome beer, but I reviewed it based on it being a cherry stout. Had New Glarus classified this like BA does as a fruit/vegetable beer then I would have rated it much higher. ***don't be mistaken this is a GREAT beer ***

A: dark brown and initial observation is that this is a very thin consistency. Not your typical stout viscosity. Head is a bit weak, but with an aggressive pour yields some nice almond colored foam, which quickly dwindles. Minimal lacing.

S: Smell is that signature New Glarus "cherry/wood/vanilla" smell that I've come to love so much. I've noticed this so far in Wisconsin Belgian Red, Enigma and now this. It's intoxicating. I gotta deduct a few points though since I don't notice anything remotely stout like in it's aroma, no roast, chocolate, burnt aromas at all. This smells very similar to both Belgian Red and Enigma.

T: Taste follows suit with the aroma. I love it but...I'm not sure how this is a stout. If I didn't know this was a stout already, I'd never have guessed it. I would have thought fruit/vegetable beer.

M: Again, I gotta go by style. This has stout like properties, but does not drink like your typical stout.

D: Gotta give the most points here at least. I think this beer is delicious and very easy to drink. I could down a whole 6 pack no prob...in probably under 20 minutes.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz. Bottle into a Stone IRS Tulip.

Pours a cola brown with a one finger head. In the glass, light shows up as deep ruby highlights through a deep brown body.

Smells of sweet cherries. Not complex, but good.

Tastes like a chocolate covered cherry. Surprisingly crisp in the finish, with a slight oak note.

Medium, slick mouthfeel. Fits the cherry profile well.

I really like this. One of the best non sour fruit beers I've had.

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Pours a very dark brown with an inch of reddish brown head. Nothing can be seen through the beer.

S: At first whiff this beer smells like my arch nemesis Robitussin. However after taking a few more deep sniffs I notice a slightly oaky wood note behind the strong scent of cherries.

T: Thankfully this beer does not taste like Robitussin, however it does taste like a cherry Dum Dum lollipop. I can taste some of the malt flavor but it's quickly washed away by the strong cherry flavors.

M: Medium body with low carbonation and a very tart finish.

D: I was happy to get to try this beer but one was enough for me as it was too sweet. At first I was a little scared of this beer due to the smell, but after I had a few sips it grew on me. A for effort.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear dark red color ale with a huge light brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing - this does not resemble as stout at all. Aroma of cough syrup and sweet cherries is more dominant then I would have expected. Taste is not as overly dominated by the cough syrup notes but cherry taste is quite dominant with light tart aftertaste. Body is about average with good carbonation. I was expecting a stout based on the name alone so I was a bit surprise when I poured this in my glass. Very interesting beer though cherry taste is overwhelming.

3.42/5  rDev -9%

Pours an effervescent dark crimson/caramel with 2+ fingers of tan head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Heavy cherry with some woody notes

T: Cherry juice with some booze warmth & not much else up front, maybe a touch of tartness. Winish. Cherry dominates along with a touch of plum hiding on the back of the tongue. Cherry juice finish with some booze sharpness, plus some oaky notes, verging on vanilla

MF: High effervescence. Medium-light body and a watery texture

Pretty drinkable at first, but has some surprisingly rough edges that stand out as you near the end of the bottle. This beer needs food pairings, although I have no suggestion at this time. It was very fresh and different. Almost like a rough lambic.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

The fact this is called a stout is humorous. It tastes like one part stout to three parts Belgian red. I love Belgian red so I have no problem with this. But not sure why this is labeled a stout. Not much needs to be said - a ton of cherries, light-bodied, high prickly carbonation. Doesnt even look like stout. It looks like belgian red with a dash of stout. Light and refreshing.

Interesting to see so many complaints in other reviews about the cherry flavor, as this is the exact same cherry flavor as the Belgian Red, which has much higher scores. My score here would be higher if it weren't for the debilitating appearance number, which is only low since New Glarus calls this a stout.

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #39 (Apr 2010):

New Glarus ages the beer in oak to bring on some spontaneous fermentation.

Garnet hue off of a very deep brown color, pretty light looking for a Stout, yet the head flaunts it like any other Stout. Pours a decent-size head that doesn't retain much, but it sticks around for the duration. Big cherry-juice aroma, mild malt and even milder roasted notes in the nose. Moderate body, a little thin with a slick and smooth mouthfeel. Lots of cherry juice sweetness to deal with; taste buds are left waiting for any real Stout-like roasted flavor. Hops are on mute with very little bitterness or flavor. Cherry flavor is domi- nant and sweet from start to finish.

Where is the Stout? There is a glimpse of a dark beer within, but nothing more. We know this was their intention, but neither the oak nor the spontaneous fermentation make any real appearance. Not half bad, but the cherry and weak Stout character have no real depth and simply make a sweet ale.

2.78/5  rDev -26.1%

A: Redish brown pour. Nicehead with good lacing.

S: Um, cherries? Yeah, that's it, cherries....cherry cough syrup really. Although nothing else really going on, it's does smell quite nice for what it is.

T: Wow, tastes like a think cherry cola...and a really sweet one at that. Cherries, cherries, cherries. Not really much of a beer taste at all. Hard to believe this is a stout. The style in BA is a fruit beer, which seems more accurate than a 'Cherry Stout'

M: High carbonation. A thin, but thick and sticky body. Again, hard to believe this is a stout

D: Drinkabily is tough for me with this one. Could't finish one before giving it to someone else to finish so I could have something else.

Thumbprint Cherry Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company