Stone Soup - New Glarus Brewing Company

Stone SoupStone Soup

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Newglarusguy on 02-14-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Soup Alström Bros

spoonhawk, Nov 23, 2011

Simply tastes like a joke, like someone poured 3/4 of Miller Lite in my glass that was holding 1/4 of an average triple.

Pours translucent, little to no lacing and head. Fills the glass with aromas of cornflakes and unripened green bananas, aged hops, and wheat cracker - has kind of a wit thing going on, some faint, and I mean faint, spice in the background. Mouthfeel was somewhat effervescent but that was the only thing average about the beer. As far as Belgian Pale Ales go, this sits at the bottom in my book.

brandoneast, Jul 13, 2010

crowsnest, Dec 01, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

It poured a golden yellow. It was slighty cloudy and active. A 1 inch white head quickly shrank down to just a lacing of head.

It has a light malt smell that is earthy.

A slight malt taste, a bit of corn taste. A tang of something I can not quite identify. A crispness gives way to a medium body.

I can drink it, but I would prefer something different.

Rennpferd, May 23, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance - Light yellow-orange. Somewhat cloudy. Foams energetically, but quickly dissipates into a thin film.

Smell - Sweet and yeasty. Prominant spicy orange aroma. Tempting.

Taste - Begins with unremarkable sweet malt flavor with mild orange spice flavor emerging at the end. Somewhat less flavorful than I expected from the aroma. A little alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light and highly carbonated.

Drinkability - Though I'm a big fan of this local brewer, this beer doesn't really do it for me. Tastes just a few ticks off. I don't expect to get this one again.

scaliasux, Jun 19, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

huddyball, Aug 31, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

ititani, Oct 23, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Bottle courtesy of Plucier: Poured a golden color ale with a small bubbly white head with little retention. Aroma of light malt with some very subtle spices is blander then expected. Taste is a mix between some dry malt with some light spices and very little yeast in the finish. Body is about average with some medium to low carbonation. This is definitely not one of the most interesting offering from this brewer.

Phyl21ca, Jul 27, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Many thanks for alcstradamus for the trade!

Pours a hazy straw with plenty o' bubbles, a fizzy & quickly dropping head. No lacing to speak of.

Smells like a wheat, with some clovey banana, sweet. As it warms a kind of brown sugar emerges.

Taste is kind of muddled. I can taste some of the estery flavors, but they're struggling under the prickly, bubbly mouthfeel. Very subtle. After a few seconds this dryness rears up & steamrolls all the other flavors, leaving a dead taste in the mouth with some tiny remnants of fruit.

The mouthfeel is too active & sharp, especially considering the small amount of flavor. For a beer with so little head, I find the bubbly character kind of abrasive.

I went into this one with high hopes, but unfortunately really can't say I enjoyed it.

OneDropSoup, Jul 27, 2009

From notes...
Pours a golden straw with light, voluminous head--slow to dissolve. Carbonation evident. As noted on the bottle, you get ginger and cloves on the nose, but also with a grassy yeastiness, bitter orange peel, and alcohol. There is a hint of the macro sweetness there...oh dear... You can definitely taste the ginger, a tad of the bitter orange peel, and then it goes sweet, caramel and malts. The macro element was pushed at times, as was the bitterness, in my opinion. Nicely balanced mouthfeel, perhaps a tad too much carbonation for my taste. All in all, a decent beer. More of an "interesting" than a "solid" choice, though.

Opethsprite, May 21, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

fenlop54, May 06, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

Brewzma, Oct 02, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

I made a beer run to WI on a Sunday seeking out this beer. I've heard from dozens of people the exact same thing, "I love this beer." I asked the clerk at Hudson Liquors what he thought, he said "I love this beer." Solid and consistent endorsements all around.

Poured into an iced glass, drank slowly to taste the flavors change as it warms. Slow, standard pour down the side of the glass...HOLY HEAD!!! It foamed up like a 5th grade volcano science project. Waiting for the head to recede. 2 minutes, half the head...I think this qualifies as decent head retention and is something I did not expect from a Belgian Pale Ale. Stone Soup has a nice cloudy honey color. It smells malty and yeasty and a has a sweet and spicy witbier flavor to the taste buds of this amateur observer. Light carbonation and mouthfeel.

Like all of the New Glarus beers that I've had, this is a good beer, but the flavors are a little more subtle than what I like, which leaves me wanting.

I like this beer, but do not love it. Meh, you can only be so happy.

hodgsongreg, Jun 20, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

Not my favorite of styles to begin with.

A: Hazy pale to yellow. Not overwhelmed by the head retention, but poured two fingers of bone white foam.

S: Not much in the way of smell. More hoppy than fruity or grain.

T: Bitter. This pale ale has more bite than expected from the style and doesnt have the catty staleness that ive experienced in others.

M: Hops in the pockets of the cheeks, and lingering grainy on the tongue.

D: Not the one I would choose for the style, but it was ok.

BasementBer, Apr 25, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz. poured in to pint glass.

A: Pours a straw yellow in color with a 1/2" off white head. The head faded away to about a 1/4" and stay the entire beer. Lots of caronation in the glass.

S: Spices, floral, and Belgian yeast.

T: Cloves for sure! Spices with a hint of yeast.

M: Medium bodied not to heavy. Light carbonation. Slightly bitter at the end. Finishes clean tho.

D: This is a ok beer. I've tried to like Belgian pale ale but can get into them. Still a big fan of New Glarus!

RTrain12, Apr 08, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

A-Orangy/ yellow slightly cloudy (Hefelike) with a simple thick edge head that has scant lacing in the center.

S- Somewhat fruit with a yeast like odor ( very hefe typical).

T- Strong carbonated breadlike up front flowing into flavor bursts of fruits and slight clove....and finishing with a malty bitterness.

M- Thin with frothy activation in your mouth.

D- It's a great summer beer, but for me personally it is a bit too light.

RJUGA03, Aug 17, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a bit of a white head which dissipated quickly.

Smell is sweet and malty, also can detect a bit of spice there, kind of a peppery scent.

Taste is ok, nothing really stands out. There's a bit of a citrus flavor, and just a touch of spice. There's a lot of an orange juce flavor there, and compared to the best Belgian ales I've had, this one is not in the same league.

Mouthfeel to me is thin, the carbonation is the main thing going on here.

Overall an ok Belgian style ale, but compared to what I am used to, nothing special. Not a bad beer by any stretch, but not a standout either.

Vixie, May 09, 2009

schmidtmattsays, Oct 27, 2013

beergorrilla, Oct 14, 2013

aswaller, Sep 27, 2013

TooGood, Mar 16, 2014

Zaphog, Oct 14, 2013

harrylee773, Oct 22, 2013

Poured a pale pale straw color with 1 finger of FIZZY white head that instantly disappeared and left no trace of it even being there...

Catching a lot of fruity yeast up front and still waiting for the rest of the scent like a small child after school waiting for a forgetful parent and stupidly hopping that they will show up soon... but it never does. So I will start my metaphorical walk home...

This tastes like a belgian knock off... It would be the equivalent of buying a pair of oakleys from a stranger on the street corner for 10 bucks. Getting some belgian yeast, some biscuity quality but definitely lacking on hops and depth.

This is nothing but a fizzy mess in my mouth. Body is very thin and extremely carbonated. Just to keep up with the trend of comparisons, I'll throw this one out there. When I sip on this beer it makes me feel like I just ate Pop Rocks and took a sip of pepsi. Fail

I'm extremely surprised this carries a B+ avg on here. It was one of the most disappointing craft beers I have ever had...

dcloeren, Apr 26, 2011