Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
cvstrickland

4.43/5  rDev +5%

In a large weizen glass held before direct late-morning sunshine, Dancing Man glows creamy gold and pretty hazy. A huge rush of bubbles from multiple streamers of internal carbonation feeds a billowing, grainy, eggshell-colored head with good retention but only moderate lace-sticking power.

The smell is malty-wheat-tangy with a load of gooey ripe banana puree. An even-handed pinch of cinnamon and a ham-handed punch of clove sparkle in the sweetly succulent perfume of nutty, tangy grain and spicy yeast.

The taste is rich and deep with a substantial, nutty, toasted wheat backbone. The quaffable brew is gently spiced and sweetly laden with malty-banana fruitiness. A dusting of cinnamon and dark brown toast complement one another in a crisp finish that is near-perfectly balanced by a touch of raw wheaty tang.

The drink is medium in body and almost... almost... just a smidge too well-carbonated, but is nonetheless a true delight to enjoy on a warm and sunny pre-Spring day. Like everything else I've enjoyed from New Glarus, the beer is well-made, truly delicious, and makes me wish I could get it here full time. Failing that, I'll just have to rely on the local brew-god-understudy to keep the Wisconsin-born beer-goodness coming southward! Thanks Matt!

02-21-2009 16:44:09 | More by cvstrickland
ChimRichels

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A - Brilliant hazy gold. I can't see my hand through the glass. Thick, dense, creamy head with exceptional lacing and retention. I don't think I've ever given a 5 on appearance before... but I can't find anything to knock this one for.

S - Sweet apples, cloves, bananas, dried grains. A bit spicy.

T - Hops come through a lot more than in the nose. Clove/banana flavors are paradoxically aggressive yet subtle, if that makes any sense (it doesn't). A bit nutty on the finish. There is a delightful hint of sweetness that is difficult to describe. Bananas linger on the back of the tongue long after the finish.

M - Sooo creamy! extremely smooth. New Glarus seems to always have perfect carbonation, and the dancing man is no exception.

O - I was expecting a solid B/B+ when I bought this beer, but it really surprised me. Excellent brew.

07-15-2011 21:39:41 | More by ChimRichels
KarlHungus

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This beer pours a semi-cloudy light orange color with visible torrent of carbonation. The head is a massive three inches in height, and recedes extremely slowly into moderate lacing. The aroma is tangy wheat, citrus, cloves, and banana. The taste is full of banana, clove, and tang. The mouthfeel is a little lighter than full bodied, and a lot fuller than most hefeweizens. The carbonation is lively and active, with a chewy texture. Overall, this is a really nice beer. When I noticed the ABV of this beer I was somewhat disappointed as all previous examples of what might be called an Imperial Hefeweizen have been hoppy messes. Dancing Man Wheat breaks away from that mold. It can be best described as a true Bavarian Hefeweizen on steroids. I can't say I'd like to drink this style of Hefeweizen often, but it certainly has its place.

06-20-2009 19:04:48 | More by KarlHungus
dafla67

12 oz. bottle

A: hazy golden color. very large white head.

S: Strong aroma; sweet; yeast; spices.

T: starts with sweetness and a touch more than a hint of fruit; very crisp and ends with bananas.

M: heavy carbonation; smooth.

O: a very good beer. certainly holds it own with the popular hefeweizens. Gladly drink this on a hot summer night.

05-22-2012 20:45:17 | More by dafla67
suspect

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 500ml Julius Echter weizen glass. Thanks to beerwolf77 for the generous hookup.

A: Beautiful cloudy strong yellow color. Aggressive pour leads to huge 4-finger fluffy head that takes about 5 minutes to disappear. Once head disappears it gives way to lacing that sticks around for the duration of the taste.

S: Strong lemon, strong wheat, excellent hefe smell. Some clove along with slight banana are present as well as faint hops.

T: Wow, what a beauty. The wheat hits you first followed closely and perfectly by lemon and then finally spice. The lemon cuts the bitterness of the wheat but the spice kicks you in the teeth when you weren't expecting it. Really really nice.

M: Light/medium body with ample carbonation. Thinner than Weihenstephaner's Hefe but this does not detract from the brew.

O: Another SOLID offering from New Glarus. I'd really like to thank beerwolf77 for the hookup on this as well as the other NG stuff. I've clearly been missing out on some good stuff...untill now. Quick, someone find me a case of this stuff for the summer!

05-21-2011 22:50:32 | More by suspect
jslot38

4.43/5  rDev +5%

12oz bottle to pint glass.

App: Pours a very hazy yellow straw color. Good top covering head, dirty white color. Shows a bit of yellow through the middle.

Smell: Outstanding hefe smell, great notes of bananas, green apples, wheat, yeast, sourdough bread, a touch of clove.

Taste: Primarily bananas and apples, right where the smell leaves off. Has some nice wheat backing, a bit of cereal, and some clove. Has a great refreshing tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Not heavy on the carbonation, has a good rounded edge to it.

Drinkability: 7.5% ABV... you have to be kidding. I could drink this all day.

This is easily the best hefe, and maybe wheat based beer I've ever had. Must get more.

08-26-2010 00:28:24 | More by jslot38
KI9A

4.43/5  rDev +5%

THis bewer, and the Alt from NG, are very dangerous beers..please send them to me for disposal! The hidden ABV on these, will knock your socks off because they are SO drinkable.

A: Pours cloudy, but gold. Puffy foam cap.

S: Clove, toasty wheat, bananna, maybe nutmeg or allspice..had to raid the spice rack to ID it better!

T: Sweet, honey-malt. Normal hefe notes of bananna/wheat, and maybe a touch of cinnamon.

M: Slick, maybe too slick. See below. Carbonation is about right, not as pumped up as, say blue moon, or shock top. I guess that is the difference between a real craft beer, and a macro-craft.

D: Well, they go down way too easy. I took notes after the first, and after #3, I have a decent buzz..too much of one to review a couple other NG gems I recieved.

Again, what a cool brewery, and cool folks that run it. The 5 hr drive from STL, to Wisconsin, for a beer run is worth it!

Cheers to Dan & Deb, for another fine effort!

11-25-2008 02:06:33 | More by KI9A
jwinship83

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A- pale hazy golden with a finger sized head and an active carbonation

S- yeast, banana, clove, and bubblegum. exactly what youd expect in a wheat but on the strong side

T- lemony with everything that i could smell. very nice

M- highly carbonated and light feeling

D- i wish i picked up more of this. very drinkable and a great take on the style. recommended

08-08-2008 04:21:39 | More by jwinship83
Stevedore

4.43/5  rDev +5%

12oz bottle, probably about a month old, poured into a German hefeweizen glass (obtained visiting Burg Eltz on the Rhine years ago) and quaffed today, 5/4/2013.

Aroma: It smells like a hefeweizen, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Banana, spicy clove and bubble gum- the esters and characterstic WY3068 yeast that basically define hefeweizen taste and smell. Some sweet malt up front and in the back. Smells fantastic, reminds me of the Bavarian hefeweizens and transports me back to the Hirschgarten. (4.5)

Colour: Hazy straw coloured body that pours with a massive >4cm head, typical of hefeweizens, with the thick haziness that occurs in spades once I swirl the yeast sediment and pour it in. Beautiful looking hefeweizen, great in a hefeweizen glass. (4)

Flavour: Love it. Following the nose- there is a good bit of sweet malt, like straight up spicy sugar cane, that persists throughout a nice cavalcade of the esters- banana, spicy clove, pears, bubble gum. It's like an assembly line of malt with the esters being dumped on it every few seconds. Very tasty and reminds me of my time in Munich. Absolutely fantastic although the malt is a little stronger than some of the other German imports. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: Light bodied yet full of flavour. Drinks smoothly, crisp and refreshing with a clean yeasty finish. No heat at all- I think this is a higher ABV hefeweizen which I really don't notice here even when it gets rather warm. The aftertaste is basically all WY3068, which is why I'm drinking hefeweizens in the first place! (4)

Overall: The malt sweetness is a bit strong in this one, which would probably explain the higher ABV. Typically Hefeweizens are all yeast, and everything else is there as a supporting cast. This is a pretty good take on the German style, though I would prefer even more spices, banana, cloves in my Hefeweizens. That being said, this is easier for me to get fresh than the 6-9 month old imported Weihenstephaners or Paulaners- so I'm definitely appreciative of Dan's work with the German styles I used to imbibe in the good ol' Deutschland. (4.5)

04-13-2013 17:04:55 | More by Stevedore
armock

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to chixdighops for hooking this bottle up in the Good People Farm System BIF.

A - Poured a hazy yellow color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of wheat bananas and yeast

T - Follows the nose wheat malt upfront then the banana flavors come out finishes a little yeasty

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

O - This is a very good hefe thats way to easy to drink the abv is well above session zone but I could definitely drink a few of these worth hunting down to get your hands on

10-09-2011 04:58:30 | More by armock
westweasel

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to Jai my co-worker for this WI brew!

The beer was poured into one of those new Sam Adams super glasses. The appearance was a very hazy dark straw to yellow color, with a large white head.

The aroma was filled with white bread, clove, and cinnamon.

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of this beer. The first part of the swallow is filled with white bread and clove, followed by subtle but noticeable banana flavor with just a slight touch of lemony citrus. The finish was nicely dry.

The mouthfeel was medium with high carbonation.

This is a very drinkable example of a bavarian wheat beer. I can't believe this has 7% alcohol. I was very impressed.

07-24-2008 02:00:35 | More by westweasel
kawilliams81

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 16 oz glass.

A- cloudy (unfiltered) light orange with a big 2" white head. small bubbles of lacing.

S- big banana and clove aroma with some lemon.

T- sweet orange and lemons, caramel and cloves.

M- medium body and carbonation. Some effervescence that gives a crisp finish.

O- very good hefeweizen that has a good balance of banana and cloves.

08-11-2012 17:11:47 | More by kawilliams81
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a nice large head (not very thick). Not very well with the lacing. Color is a dark straw color.

Smell is a very fruity. Bananas are the strongest noted, with touches of cloves. Taste is similiar and very great in that manner. I never was the biggest hefeweizen fan, but this really makes a person appreciate the style more. For some reason the taste of bananas in a beer is awesome. You can definately taste the wheat as well. One great part about this beer is that you cannot notice the 7.2% abv.

The carbonation level is great, creating a nice, smooth mouthfeel.

11-05-2008 01:42:30 | More by mothman
madtowndmb1

This is a great beer.

A: Pours a great golden with a nice 1" head.

S: Banana, yeast, wheat. What a smell!

T: This is just what I want it to taste like. Fruity, yeasty, with a touch of a bite at the end.

It's a mouthwatering beer. As soon as you drink it you want to go back!

D: I could drink these all day long!

01-23-2009 01:24:30 | More by madtowndmb1
koopa

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Bottle Received as a regional extra in a trade with Brandonman 63. Thanks buddy you are a great trader!

Appearance: Nicely executed look...very cloudy golden orange color. Pretty much the same look as a Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier.

Smell: Cinnamon, clove, wheat, banana mixed into a perfect Bavarian Wheat Beer Smell.

Taste: One of the better USA Wheat Beers I've ever had. If I close my eyes I can easily pretend this is the same wheat beers I drank off the tap in German Beer Gardens in the past.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin but typical for the style

Drinkability: Easy sipper.... Enjoy it all summer long!

09-21-2008 16:43:54 | More by koopa
Crosling

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Cloudy pale golden in color with an initially large, but quickly diminishing head of white foam. Very nice aroma hinting of clove, banana and vanilla in a highly expressive manner. Flavor is complex and balanced very well. Notes of toffee and caramel, with a touch of golden raisin, and notes of banana and clove. Outstanding German wheat ale. New Glarus could be better than Weihenstephan at the style.

11-16-2008 23:48:07 | More by Crosling
RoamingGnome

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A) A good two inches of foamy white head that bubbled about for a bit and left some decent lacing on the glass. The beer itself is a foggy orange. It looks delicious.

S) Fresh bread, hints of fruit, clove and other spices. It smells delicious.

T) Looks delicious + Smells delicious = Tastes delicious

M) A little heavier/thicker than the German hefeweizens I typically enjoy, but that is not a negative in my opinion. This was very refreshing and pleasing to my palate.

O) This has made yard work even more fun than just the normal avoidance of my wife nagging at me. Thank you New Glarus, you've done it again.

06-05-2011 22:00:33 | More by RoamingGnome
inlimbo77

Delaware

12oz, no date, 1602(?)
Alchemist pint

A: Pours a completely hazy golden yellow color. Two full fingers of head. Tons of carbonation. True to the style.

S: Smelled this as soon as I cracked it. Getting tons of that Belgian yeast character: coriander and clove. Lots of fresh banana. Fresh wheat.

T: A very pleasant first sip. Nice spice on the tip of the tongue. Lots of banana and clove flavors. I mean, lots of clove! Almost like a spice cookie. Fresh wheat cracker in the middle of the both. Fairly dry finish. I saw this was higher ABV but you don't taste it. Prickly carbonation. Boarding on too much, but you can't help the bottle carb.

M: Light to medium.

08-27-2012 18:42:55 | More by inlimbo77
hopfacebrew

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Yet another beer my man GDBEERMAN hooked up in our trade! Thanks Rob!

Poured from brown 12oz bottle to NBB globe as I have no weizen glasses.

A - The bee pours a hazy gold color with a huge 2.5 bubbly white head. Excellent retention and lacing.

S - Hefeweizen! Lots of nice aroma: the nice hefeweizen yeast character in your nose immediately: clove, banana, fruit. Light malt character in the sweetness.

T - Very fruity and sweet immediately. Nice hints of banana, apples, citrus meld well with the toasted malt sweetness. A hint of honey. The yeast flavor isn't as pronounced as I expected which is nice. Mild bitterness. Finishes fruity and crisp. Very good.

M - Good carbonation and medium bodied.

O - While Hefeweizens aren't my favorite this is an excellent beer! Top Hefeweizen I've had so it's a nice treat. Not too overpowering on the flavors and very well balanced. Extremely refreshing! Thanks Rob!

Reviewed on: 03-19-2011 20:24:15

01-26-2012 22:44:57 | More by hopfacebrew
drizzam

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A - Poured a hazy light amber in color, topped by a very ample 3 finger off-white head. Very nice head retention and excellent lacing. It took a while for me to pour the whole beer in the glass, the head didn't seem to want me to.

S - Very aromatic, clove and banana all up in my nostrils!

T & M - A big wheat body carries that same clove and banana I smelled in the aroma. There is also some citric fruit in the balance, it seems to be a cross between orange and lemon zest. This brew is medium bodied with a bit of tingly carbonation on the back end. The 7.2% ABV is surprisingly well hidden!

D - This is one of the better Hefeweizens' produced in the world today! You would think for a South German brew, you would not have a WI brewery setting the bar this high. A perfect example of the style, and one that is dangerously drinkable. I could stock this all year 'round.

12-22-2010 22:17:31 | More by drizzam
IrishHockey

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I'm going to start off by saying I don't normally like Hefeweizens.

This is a good, solid, easy drinking beer. Really nice mouthfeel. Almost creamy. I'm glad it didn't have a big bannana taste like some (like I said, not usually a fan of Hefeweizens). Just a nice kind of spice character. Really good beer. I enjoyed this even as my beloved Blackhawks got their asses handed to them by the bruins. Maybe it was the 7.2 abv that helped it, but its a solid brew.

Get your ass to Wisconsin and enjoy some!
Cheers!

06-18-2013 02:59:04 | More by IrishHockey
tectactoe

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to maximum12 for this awesome extra - I'm always excited to get more New Glarus stuff, they haven't let me down yet. Dancing Man Wheat pours hazy and translucent; a brilliant shade of golden-amber with an absolutely enormous, pillowing, fluffy white head. Very volatile - even a modest pour yields a cap thicker than the amount of beer in the glass. Little lacing is left behind, but the foam shows great retention.

DMW is an American take on a traditionally German style, so it's no surprise when I bring my nose to the glass and am immediately reminded of beers like Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner Hefe. Fantastically sweet bouts of malt, colliding gracefully with an equal mix of lovely esters; clove, bubblegum, and some other light spices. Lots of delicate sweetness up front, borderline Candi sugar-like, with beautiful overtones of soft fruit; overripe banana, orange zest, and pear.

The more this warms up, the more heavy the wheat and malt gets - backed with waves of soft wheaty aromas, grains, bread, butter, and a bunch of underlying sugary goodness. Fresh yeast aromas linger in the finish, both fruity and a little spicy all at once. Very well done; even from just the aroma, I can tell that this is going to be a tasty hefeweizen... but will it be enough to dethrone some of the original classics?

Much like the aroma, the taste starts off soft and sweet with some light sugar tones up front; malty to the core with a hammering of esters hitting your palate from every which way. A wonderful collage of flavors engorges the senses and sends me into hefe-nirvana; banana, pear, Bavarian yeast, wheat, plum, clove, kitchen spice, stale bread. Sickeningly delicious.

The middle portion shows an extremely mild hop addition, adding a slight musky and leafy flavor. At 7.2% ABV, this is a little more alcoholic than most hefeweizens, but you'd never be able to guess that from just smelling or tasting it. The alcohol is hidden extremely well, allowing for only a small dose of phenol flavor as the beer warms up, but never giving enough to reveal it's true nature as a 7+% ABV brew. Medium bodied, soft on the palate, mildly creamy with lots of carbonation.

Wow, incredible. Fantastic hefeweizen; drinkable like you wouldn't believe, especially at 7.2% ABV. Beautiful mix of aromas and flavors that make for an amazingly enjoyable experience. Definitely one of the best hefeweizens out there, second only to Weihenstephaner - and what a complement that is.

05-03-2013 11:48:50 | More by tectactoe
tempest

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

Damn, I think this qualifies as an imperial hefe. At least it does in my book. And to clarify: It's an amplified hefeweizen that stays dry without the heavier body and fruitier flavors of a weizenbock. There's a big spicy clove aroma with hints of earthy, rustic bread and orange peel. The flavor gets fruitier, balancing a milder peppery spice level with touches of banana and berry with a malty edge of toast. The beer continues with little hits of vanilla and milky caramel. Man, what a beer. This is likely the best German wheat I've had and on par with a great Belgian tripel.

07-19-2014 18:47:06 | More by tempest
Florida9

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Slightly hazy light golden in color. Forms a moderate sized bright white head. Little retention. Little lacing. Oddly clear for a hefe.

S: Aroma is purely banana and Juicy Fruit gum. There is nothing else, but there doesn't need to be.

T: Taste is a bit more complex. Light bready notes. Wheat. Banana, clove, very light spice, juicy fruit, mild yeast, bubble gum, and a slight herbal grassiness.

M: Lighter bodied. Very light creaminess. Medium carbonation comes through rather appreciably. Mild, virtually non-existent bitterness.

O: A damn fine beer. Cleaner than most hefe's, but that's hardly a flaw.

10-26-2013 02:19:06 | More by Florida9
jayhass

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

Color is a pale golden straw color with a big white head that keeps a light cover over the top of the beer from the high carbonation.
Aroma- big bready malt balanced with esters and cloves. Smell like a good breakfast in a glass. Taste- Sweet pilsner malt with a good amount of bread. Banana and cloves are balanced perfectly with the malt neither dominates. Some more sweetness probably from the alcohol that is a hidden 7.2%. Finishes semi dry with a slight noble bitterness. One of my favorite beers.

09-02-2013 03:53:00 | More by jayhass