Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Dancing Man WheatDancing Man Wheat

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 443 | Hads: 1,280
2.93/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Small capped bottle.
Looking into other reviews, it almost seems like I had a different brew. This one looks nice, golden and cloudy, with a massive white head. A pleasant, but unidimensional and overwhelming banana aroma opens to a beer with excessive taste of bananas, some grains, with something off I cannot really define. It does taste good, and over a little over 3-4 minutes, the aroma gets too much. I did not finish mine. Disappointing.

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

Enjoyed on 7/18/13 from a bottle.

A: Initial pour results in a large, puffy white head that slowly dissapates over the next 2 minutes. Little to no head apparent afterward. Beer pours a remarkably clear straw, light yellow color. Very little haze or sediment present - odd since I expected a cloudy brew.

S: A very subtle nose of clove, banana, and a small tinge of lemon. Nothing special.

T&M: Very spice-forward for a wheat beer. Initial citrus hoppy flavors quickly give way to spice overtones - clove, pepper, and cinnamon mainly. Cinnamon lingers on the tongue long after the sip. Banana flavors are present, but in very small amounts. The beer is quite effervescent - typical for the style but not quite my taste.

O: On the fruit::spice continuum of wheat beers, this is probably the most spice-forward brew I've ever had. If that's your thing, you'll absolutely love this beer. Me - not so much. It's too cinammon-y ...especially on the back-end. Additionally, I find the beer a tad too carbonated. To make this beer better, I'd dial down the carbonation and spice additions....but I understand what they were going for.

3.03/5  rDev -29%

12 oz. bottle Hazy, honey colored pour into an 8 oz. tasting stange. Silky smooth, 2 finger butter colored head with some soapy lacing.

The nose is predominantly ripe banana, fresh ground clove, allspice, lemon rinds & bubble gum (?)!WOW

Not surprising that the taste follows the nose closely with a little more definition. Sweet bubble gum, warm banana bread, brown sugar, cloves & honey. There's a slightly medicinal after taste. A tart crisp finish with a hint of pepper. The spices are now more pronounced in the nose...brisk & refreshing.

The mouth is well carbonated, smooth & creamy with a clean, lingering texture on the tongue.
I can't help but be reminded of Christmas potporri.

Pretty easy to drink considering the ABV. This was a relatively unfamiliar style for me & my ability to compare is limited. A little too clove-y for me & one was enough...probably not something I'd go out of may way for again, but worth trying.

3.08/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into a pint glass this beer had an orange, cloudy golden color. A nice creamy white head with good lacing. This beer had a very spicy aroma. There was hints of clove, orange and a bit of ginger. It was nice and creamy with a solid wheat after taste, similar to other beers in this category. This is a nice summer brew, but wouldn't hold up in the winter months in WI. This was a good beer, but not my favorite New Glarus brew.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Yellow-orange with one inch of dense and creamy white foam.

S - Somewhat muted aroma with an even balance of banana and clove.

T - Nice banana and clove esters with a slightly sour citrus tang. Sweet malty breadiness that becomes a little cloying. A tad boozy for my taste, and I can't decide whether the cinnamon flavor is a good touch.

M - Medium body, smooth and creamy. Good carbonation.

D - This is closer to weizenbock territory than hefeweizen. Alcohol is too high and while I do like a sweeter hefe, this is a bit much. Realistically, I can't drink more than one in a sitting.

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: It pours orange in color with well over an inch of fluffy white head. It is very hazy as a wheat beer should be.4
Smell: It is nothing but cloves in the aroma almost over powering with the first sniff.3
Taste: Cloves, banana, and cinnamon are the dominant flavors. I am guessing they were going for hefeweizen style wheat. Wow that is a lot of clove.3
Mouthfeel: The beer flows nicely around the palate easy drinking a good beer for a warm summer day.3.5

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Bottle: Poured a hazy yellow color wheat with a medium foamy head with average retention and some minimal lacing. Aroma of cloves are dominating with some discernable wheat and overall a quite big malt base. Taste is a mix between some cloves and some big malt base and is not as close to the style as I was expecting. Either there is too much wheat and the beer is veering toward a wheat wine or maybe there is too much barley but I thought the malt base was too sweet for the style and didn't provide enough refreshment. Also, at the risk of sounding too traditional, I would have like if more banana ester would have showed. Definitely not the best weizen out there and probably over rated and not the best beer from a very good brewer.

3.31/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - A small white head of foam on top of a clear, golden body. The head settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Spicy hops, musty wheat, and a bit of pepper.

T - Bready malt up front with slightly fruity yeast in the middle. Finishes with an odd, soda water like quality and a touch of tartness.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - weird, one dimensional and a bit bland. I'm not sure what the idea was here, but it really isn't working for me.

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

Big thanks to alexgash from BA for the bottle!
Cloudy orange colored pour with a big lasting meringue like head. Thick wheaty, banana flavor with lots of clovey yeast smell too. Very big strong hef smell with a light lemony wheatiness as well. Taste is strong and full bodied with the same flavors. Very good quality hefeweizen but just a style i'm style growing to like slowly.

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A. Golden Yellow, slightly cloudy with substantial head

S. Bananna, cloves, sweet wheat, coriander.

T. Banana and clove flavors come first, changing to a spicy wheaty flavor, some citrus and hints of alcohol come through in the finish

M. Light mouthfeel and carbonation is a little high for my liking.

O. Pretty good for a higher abv heffeweizen, but the overall does not hold up to a lot of the German brewed Heffeweizens available.

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Golden orange and very hazy. Thick, bubbly head that fades quickly to about one finger and then holds steady throughout the drink. Leaves very small smatterings of bubbly lace.

S - Very wheaty aroma with hints of banana. Very sweet aroma. Also some hints of bubble gum. No real spiciness like that which is often found in Hefeweizens.

T - Somewhat grainy initially before an overwhelming bubble gum taste takes over. Hints of banana as well but bubble gum is the primary taste. Just not the right profile that I look for in hefes.

M/D - Light to medium bodied. A little on the thin side. A passable hefe/wheat, but not a great one.

3.51/5  rDev -17.8%

12oz bottle poured into my long neglected weizen glass.

A: Pours out a crystal clear (for a hefeweizen) golden straw. There is initally a gigantic head but it fades into nothing more than a skinny cap, which I am thinking is a result of the ABV on this beer. As it stands now this beer does not really look like a hefeweizen.

S: Really something wonderful going on here. Delicious bubble gum, soft, almost sweet lemon, wild flowers, that kind of sweetness that comes in the middle of a summer afternoon where the heat seems to do something to make to flowers go crazy all over the outdoors.

T/MF: Taking a sip I almost choked on the boozy fumes eminating from this beast of a hefeweizen. Thick mouthfeel, almost sticky. Taste is banana, but like fermented banana, banana brandy something like that. Taste may be a bit one dimensional booze may be a little to apparent but it still tastes pretty damn tasty, a nice spicy and sweet mix.

D: Pretty good, one of the better beers I've had from this brewery. Little too inbetween and uneven in places to make this a standard in the fridge. Little too boozy for my tastes, oddly clear for some reason and not much lacing. Sort of detracts from the overall experience.

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a golden amber color with a sizable, creamy, off white head that dissipates in a couple minutes, leaving light, pillowy lacings.

aroma is fruity and malty, with wheat malt mainly, and light notes of citrusy hops and sweet undertones. the aroma is very rich for a hefe.

taste is full of banana, lemon, and orange flavors, along with wheat malt as a base and a bit of citrusy hops upon finishing. finishes quite smooth and mellow, with residual wheat malt and citrus in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a lightly tart and sweet character, along with a candy-like finish with a residual sugary feel.

drinkability is decent. this is a rich hefe, with a rather sweet profile and sugary finish. the citrus and banana flavors are quite strong, without much malt to back them up. not well balanced, but worth a try.

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz. poured into a weizen-esque glass on 07/21/2011. Bottle code 1531 = about month and a half old.

Pours golden with a big, creamy white colored head. Appropriately hazy. The head retention is average for the head size, but the lacing looks good. Smells very good --- complex, but refreshing. Bready sweet with notes of clove spice and perhaps lemon? Unmistakable cinnamon pops up soon enough. Very nice!

Refreshingly sweet, with ample fruitiness but unfortunately not a hint of tartness :/ Oddly, I find this beer more bitter at the back than I'd like a hefeweizen to be, and yet the finish is borderline cloying. Fault on two counts in my opinion. Yet, nothing is offensive about it and I will certainly deem it above average.

I am digging the feel of this beer. Although it seems to be on the heavier side of hefes, that's the way I like most of my beers. Carbonation is present but is not enough to tackle the residual sweetness.

Overall, a good hefeweizen and especially so when fresh. However, if I had to choose between US brewed hefes, I will take Kellerweiss over this one.

Note: Originally I had given this beer a 4/5 on the Overall; however, having checked the ABV, I have to slash it down to 2.5 (slightly below average). 7.2% ABV! Seriously?! Why? And yes, I WILL take Kellerweiss any day.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 3.5/5; Mouthfeel 4.5/5; Overall 2.5/5

3.59/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from bottle into my Duvel tulip.

Huge 3 finger white head on your typical golden white body, head doesn't last long, almost no lacing. Nose is slight with wheat malts, not much else. Mouth is carbonated, taste is sweet, almost nutra-sweet. Not too different from most hefe's I've tried flavor wise. Kind of boring, especially next to the crack'd wheat. Drinkability is there if you like hefe's, but here is really a style I'm not typically in the mood for. I think I'll stick with my Live Oak when I am in the mood. Thanks to Taturbo for the NG's.

3.63/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun stylized label art and iconic branded gold-and-green pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!). Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given the brewery and this beer's current rating (94). Apparently this is the third highest rated hefeweizen on the site currently (ignoring those with only a few reviews). I'm surprised the ABV is as high as it is given it's a hefeweizen. I can confirm the style but not the ABV per the label. I don't have a weissbierglas here in low altitude Austin, so I'm serving it into Cantillon stemware.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The head does rise slowly upon removal of the cap, eventually mushrooming out of the bottle.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Nice soft smooth silky complexion. Nice fluffy creaminess and good thickness. Fairly frothy. Head retention is quite good if the beer really is 7.20% - about 6-7+ minutes. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a quasitransparent translucent yellow-orange of good vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Plenty of carbonation bubbles suggest adequate carbonation. It appears much more filtered than I anticipated; I thought it'd be a lot hazier - on par with traditional paragons of the style. For a bottle conditioned unfiltered hefeweizen, it's looking mighty clear.

Overall, it looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Plenty of clove and banana up front as well as the obligatory wheat. Light floral hops are present too, but seem to have minimal presence. Cilantro. Clean barley. The clove is a bit stronger than I'm used to for a hefeweizen. I get cinnamon, but only because I'm looking for it; I wouldn't notice it unprompted. It's also got a healthy presence of clean German yeast with a fair amount of biscuity character. Light citrusy esters throughout, but sadly orange peel can't be found among them. In terms of personal preference, I'll take an orange peel hefeweizen over a banana/clove hefeweizen any day of the week, but it's still an appealing aroma and I'm excited to try it. It's also somewhat dry whilst still inviting the drinker in.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: It's got a nice wheat body and is cleanly fermented by the Bavarian yeast. High attenuation is evident. Ample clove and banana throughout but especially up front. A dash of cinnamon, I guess, but it's not really that strong or evocative. If I reach I find green apple, clean barley, and some vague fruity esters (e.g. papaya/apricot). A touch of lemon, sure. I like it.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through - quite a feat at 7.20% (if this really is that high).

To be honest, I really hoped for more complexity and subtlety. The hefeweizen is one of the hardest styles to pull off in my opinion; it's just four ingredients and pure finesse, demanding careful balance and excruciatingly difficult subtlety. But this beer from New Glarus doesn't bring enough to the table. It's ultimately a pretty simple hefeweizen and while I like it, it lacks the nuance of the style's paragons. Some orange peel would be lovely. The wheat doesn't seem to be as full-flavoured and deep as it should be. Maybe Wisconsin wheat just can't compete with Bavarian wheat?

Mf: Refreshing and smooth, with a great balance of dryness and wetness - dry enough to coax out the flavours a bit more, but wet enough to remain refreshing and quenching. Well-carbonated; bottle fermentation was a great choice. Good body and presence on the palate. A biteen too thick for a hefeweizen, but I guess that enables them to bury the alcohol presence. It complements the flavour profile well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it. Very approachable.

Not oily, hot, gushed, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: Quite drinkable, especially for the abnormally high ABV. This may be the highest ABV hefeweizen I've had? It hides it quite well; I'd guess it was about 5.5% if I tried it blind. I'm envious of anyone who has ready access to 6-packs of this, and if I was one of them I'd definitely pick it up frequently, but frankly it's just not up to par with the best traditional offerings of the style. As much as I love New Glarus, the Germans do this style best. That said, I already want another and I'd happily get a keg of this for a party. I'd recommend it to friends. Oddly, I actually prefer New Glarus' kristalweizen. This is certainly one to try if you come across it.

Thanks to Duff27 for the opportunity to try this!

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a thick foamy white 1" head that slowly faded to a thin layer in the middle,thick along the edge glass.

S- First smell is light sweet orange zest.Second smell is bubblegum and banana with a nice clove background.

T-Citrus taste is slightly bitter upfront but leaves a tart/yeast taste similar to other Hefe/Wheat brews.Nice dry wheat finish.

M- Light to medium bodied very crisp mouthfeel.Almost too much carbonation.

D-It is a very drinkable beer and at 7.2% it is appropriately named!

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy golden color with some heavy carbonation. The wheat smell is evident immediately, but is not overpowering. Not a ton of flavor, some sweet apples stuck in there which were a nice surprise. Definitely a nice session beer.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a hazy gold yellow color with a typically large hefeweizen head.

Aroma contains clove, cinnamon, and vanilla balanced with a great amount of twangy wheat malt. It's full and potent, but feels like it could be just a touch fresher.

Flavor has a large amount of wheaty twang with a slightly buttery flavor. Wheat and bread flavors come through as well as a touch of medicinal wheat on the finish. This beer is close to being really good, but it has a few flaws. It's high ABV makes it a little cloying, but I like the increased potency of the nose.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz brown bottle, the summer seasonal for New Glarus.

It pours into my generic Weizen glass a pale, light gold with orange hinting at the top and a ribbon of yeast. The head is foamy and massive, a white mountain brimming over the lip of the glass. It takes a bit to recede leaving some decent lacing.

The smell is almost pure bubble gum, there are hints of clove and banana, but mostly pink bubblegum. It seems to get more clovey as you sniff, but it has a strong bubblegum scent, especially when you sniff out of the bottle.

The flavor is more of a lemon/clove mixture, it has a deep spiciness that tickles the back of your throat. The mouthfeel is a bit thick and undercarbonated for the style, reminiscent of a weizenbock. The drinkability also suffers per the style because of this, but only slightly.

It is a wild hefeweizen, not quite authentically Bavarian, but pretty close.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a wheat beer glass. Nice thick white head. Cloudy dark yellow color. The scent is mostly banana and clove. I don't get much else. Taste is also primarily banana with heavy clove & cinnamon. The clove is almost overpowering. Nice mouthfeel with good carbonation. Overall I'm a little disappointed which is rare for New Glarus beers. It's an OK hefewizen but not well balanced.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Golden and hazy. Very foamy and effervescent. Wheaty, sweet, nice beer. Very enjoyable and I'd definitely drink it again...to bad I can't pick it up locally.

Nice wheat...really didn't taste the 7.2 ABV...great even when it's cold out. But I can imagine it in the summer sitting back and enjoying a few of these with some BBQ.

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Bottle from Ed. Pours an attractive peach/orange with a fluffy head that recedes quickly. Nose is heavy on spices, banana, cloves, coriander. Fairly heavily spiced in the mouth. Almost a numbing ground coriander. A bit hefty but fairly true to style and reminiscent of some Bavarian gems. Spice quality is a bit heavy, the beer is more robust than some lighter examples of this style. Nice.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Reviewed on 8/28/08. Bottle courtesy of iowaherkeye. Pours a hazy orange with a thick white head. Aroma of clove and citrus. Lots of fruits (citrus, lots of orange, melon) in the mouth, some vegetable notes (same ones I got in the Imperial Weizen). Strong for a hefe but supremely drinkable.
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5)

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

this thing smells like grapes. a little sourdough bread smell too.

has a good classic german wheat beer taste. a little bit sweet. but it has some bruised fruit taste.

easy to drink like most wheat beers , but very filling. a satisfying beer . drink it on an empty stomach.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company