Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 443 | Hads: 1,277
3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

A - Golden orange and very hazy. Thick, bubbly head that fades quickly to about one finger and then holds steady throughout the drink. Leaves very small smatterings of bubbly lace.

S - Very wheaty aroma with hints of banana. Very sweet aroma. Also some hints of bubble gum. No real spiciness like that which is often found in Hefeweizens.

T - Somewhat grainy initially before an overwhelming bubble gum taste takes over. Hints of banana as well but bubble gum is the primary taste. Just not the right profile that I look for in hefes.

M/D - Light to medium bodied. A little on the thin side. A passable hefe/wheat, but not a great one. (638 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.4%

12oz bottle poured into my long neglected weizen glass.

A: Pours out a crystal clear (for a hefeweizen) golden straw. There is initally a gigantic head but it fades into nothing more than a skinny cap, which I am thinking is a result of the ABV on this beer. As it stands now this beer does not really look like a hefeweizen.

S: Really something wonderful going on here. Delicious bubble gum, soft, almost sweet lemon, wild flowers, that kind of sweetness that comes in the middle of a summer afternoon where the heat seems to do something to make to flowers go crazy all over the outdoors.

T/MF: Taking a sip I almost choked on the boozy fumes eminating from this beast of a hefeweizen. Thick mouthfeel, almost sticky. Taste is banana, but like fermented banana, banana brandy something like that. Taste may be a bit one dimensional booze may be a little to apparent but it still tastes pretty damn tasty, a nice spicy and sweet mix.

D: Pretty good, one of the better beers I've had from this brewery. Little too inbetween and uneven in places to make this a standard in the fridge. Little too boozy for my tastes, oddly clear for some reason and not much lacing. Sort of detracts from the overall experience. (1,214 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a golden amber color with a sizable, creamy, off white head that dissipates in a couple minutes, leaving light, pillowy lacings.

aroma is fruity and malty, with wheat malt mainly, and light notes of citrusy hops and sweet undertones. the aroma is very rich for a hefe.

taste is full of banana, lemon, and orange flavors, along with wheat malt as a base and a bit of citrusy hops upon finishing. finishes quite smooth and mellow, with residual wheat malt and citrus in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a lightly tart and sweet character, along with a candy-like finish with a residual sugary feel.

drinkability is decent. this is a rich hefe, with a rather sweet profile and sugary finish. the citrus and banana flavors are quite strong, without much malt to back them up. not well balanced, but worth a try. (882 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz. poured into a weizen-esque glass on 07/21/2011. Bottle code 1531 = about month and a half old.

Pours golden with a big, creamy white colored head. Appropriately hazy. The head retention is average for the head size, but the lacing looks good. Smells very good --- complex, but refreshing. Bready sweet with notes of clove spice and perhaps lemon? Unmistakable cinnamon pops up soon enough. Very nice!

Refreshingly sweet, with ample fruitiness but unfortunately not a hint of tartness :/ Oddly, I find this beer more bitter at the back than I'd like a hefeweizen to be, and yet the finish is borderline cloying. Fault on two counts in my opinion. Yet, nothing is offensive about it and I will certainly deem it above average.

I am digging the feel of this beer. Although it seems to be on the heavier side of hefes, that's the way I like most of my beers. Carbonation is present but is not enough to tackle the residual sweetness.

Overall, a good hefeweizen and especially so when fresh. However, if I had to choose between US brewed hefes, I will take Kellerweiss over this one.

Note: Originally I had given this beer a 4/5 on the Overall; however, having checked the ABV, I have to slash it down to 2.5 (slightly below average). 7.2% ABV! Seriously?! Why? And yes, I WILL take Kellerweiss any day.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 3.5/5; Mouthfeel 4.5/5; Overall 2.5/5 (1,386 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from bottle into my Duvel tulip.

Huge 3 finger white head on your typical golden white body, head doesn't last long, almost no lacing. Nose is slight with wheat malts, not much else. Mouth is carbonated, taste is sweet, almost nutra-sweet. Not too different from most hefe's I've tried flavor wise. Kind of boring, especially next to the crack'd wheat. Drinkability is there if you like hefe's, but here is really a style I'm not typically in the mood for. I think I'll stick with my Live Oak when I am in the mood. Thanks to Taturbo for the NG's. (555 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun stylized label art and iconic branded gold-and-green pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!). Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given the brewery and this beer's current rating (94). Apparently this is the third highest rated hefeweizen on the site currently (ignoring those with only a few reviews). I'm surprised the ABV is as high as it is given it's a hefeweizen. I can confirm the style but not the ABV per the label. I don't have a weissbierglas here in low altitude Austin, so I'm serving it into Cantillon stemware.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The head does rise slowly upon removal of the cap, eventually mushrooming out of the bottle.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Nice soft smooth silky complexion. Nice fluffy creaminess and good thickness. Fairly frothy. Head retention is quite good if the beer really is 7.20% - about 6-7+ minutes. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a quasitransparent translucent yellow-orange of good vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Plenty of carbonation bubbles suggest adequate carbonation. It appears much more filtered than I anticipated; I thought it'd be a lot hazier - on par with traditional paragons of the style. For a bottle conditioned unfiltered hefeweizen, it's looking mighty clear.

Overall, it looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Plenty of clove and banana up front as well as the obligatory wheat. Light floral hops are present too, but seem to have minimal presence. Cilantro. Clean barley. The clove is a bit stronger than I'm used to for a hefeweizen. I get cinnamon, but only because I'm looking for it; I wouldn't notice it unprompted. It's also got a healthy presence of clean German yeast with a fair amount of biscuity character. Light citrusy esters throughout, but sadly orange peel can't be found among them. In terms of personal preference, I'll take an orange peel hefeweizen over a banana/clove hefeweizen any day of the week, but it's still an appealing aroma and I'm excited to try it. It's also somewhat dry whilst still inviting the drinker in.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: It's got a nice wheat body and is cleanly fermented by the Bavarian yeast. High attenuation is evident. Ample clove and banana throughout but especially up front. A dash of cinnamon, I guess, but it's not really that strong or evocative. If I reach I find green apple, clean barley, and some vague fruity esters (e.g. papaya/apricot). A touch of lemon, sure. I like it.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through - quite a feat at 7.20% (if this really is that high).

To be honest, I really hoped for more complexity and subtlety. The hefeweizen is one of the hardest styles to pull off in my opinion; it's just four ingredients and pure finesse, demanding careful balance and excruciatingly difficult subtlety. But this beer from New Glarus doesn't bring enough to the table. It's ultimately a pretty simple hefeweizen and while I like it, it lacks the nuance of the style's paragons. Some orange peel would be lovely. The wheat doesn't seem to be as full-flavoured and deep as it should be. Maybe Wisconsin wheat just can't compete with Bavarian wheat?

Mf: Refreshing and smooth, with a great balance of dryness and wetness - dry enough to coax out the flavours a bit more, but wet enough to remain refreshing and quenching. Well-carbonated; bottle fermentation was a great choice. Good body and presence on the palate. A biteen too thick for a hefeweizen, but I guess that enables them to bury the alcohol presence. It complements the flavour profile well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it. Very approachable.

Not oily, hot, gushed, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: Quite drinkable, especially for the abnormally high ABV. This may be the highest ABV hefeweizen I've had? It hides it quite well; I'd guess it was about 5.5% if I tried it blind. I'm envious of anyone who has ready access to 6-packs of this, and if I was one of them I'd definitely pick it up frequently, but frankly it's just not up to par with the best traditional offerings of the style. As much as I love New Glarus, the Germans do this style best. That said, I already want another and I'd happily get a keg of this for a party. I'd recommend it to friends. Oddly, I actually prefer New Glarus' kristalweizen. This is certainly one to try if you come across it.

Thanks to Duff27 for the opportunity to try this!

(4,776 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a thick foamy white 1" head that slowly faded to a thin layer in the middle,thick along the edge glass.

S- First smell is light sweet orange zest.Second smell is bubblegum and banana with a nice clove background.

T-Citrus taste is slightly bitter upfront but leaves a tart/yeast taste similar to other Hefe/Wheat brews.Nice dry wheat finish.

M- Light to medium bodied very crisp mouthfeel.Almost too much carbonation.

D-It is a very drinkable beer and at 7.2% it is appropriately named! (524 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy golden color with some heavy carbonation. The wheat smell is evident immediately, but is not overpowering. Not a ton of flavor, some sweet apples stuck in there which were a nice surprise. Definitely a nice session beer. (281 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a hazy gold yellow color with a typically large hefeweizen head.

Aroma contains clove, cinnamon, and vanilla balanced with a great amount of twangy wheat malt. It's full and potent, but feels like it could be just a touch fresher.

Flavor has a large amount of wheaty twang with a slightly buttery flavor. Wheat and bread flavors come through as well as a touch of medicinal wheat on the finish. This beer is close to being really good, but it has a few flaws. It's high ABV makes it a little cloying, but I like the increased potency of the nose. (554 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

12 oz brown bottle, the summer seasonal for New Glarus.

It pours into my generic Weizen glass a pale, light gold with orange hinting at the top and a ribbon of yeast. The head is foamy and massive, a white mountain brimming over the lip of the glass. It takes a bit to recede leaving some decent lacing.

The smell is almost pure bubble gum, there are hints of clove and banana, but mostly pink bubblegum. It seems to get more clovey as you sniff, but it has a strong bubblegum scent, especially when you sniff out of the bottle.

The flavor is more of a lemon/clove mixture, it has a deep spiciness that tickles the back of your throat. The mouthfeel is a bit thick and undercarbonated for the style, reminiscent of a weizenbock. The drinkability also suffers per the style because of this, but only slightly.

It is a wild hefeweizen, not quite authentically Bavarian, but pretty close. (889 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a wheat beer glass. Nice thick white head. Cloudy dark yellow color. The scent is mostly banana and clove. I don't get much else. Taste is also primarily banana with heavy clove & cinnamon. The clove is almost overpowering. Nice mouthfeel with good carbonation. Overall I'm a little disappointed which is rare for New Glarus beers. It's an OK hefewizen but not well balanced. (387 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Golden and hazy. Very foamy and effervescent. Wheaty, sweet, nice beer. Very enjoyable and I'd definitely drink it again...to bad I can't pick it up locally.

Nice wheat...really didn't taste the 7.2 ABV...great even when it's cold out. But I can imagine it in the summer sitting back and enjoying a few of these with some BBQ. (328 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle from Ed. Pours an attractive peach/orange with a fluffy head that recedes quickly. Nose is heavy on spices, banana, cloves, coriander. Fairly heavily spiced in the mouth. Almost a numbing ground coriander. A bit hefty but fairly true to style and reminiscent of some Bavarian gems. Spice quality is a bit heavy, the beer is more robust than some lighter examples of this style. Nice. (390 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Reviewed on 8/28/08. Bottle courtesy of iowaherkeye. Pours a hazy orange with a thick white head. Aroma of clove and citrus. Lots of fruits (citrus, lots of orange, melon) in the mouth, some vegetable notes (same ones I got in the Imperial Weizen). Strong for a hefe but supremely drinkable.
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5) (310 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

this thing smells like grapes. a little sourdough bread smell too.

has a good classic german wheat beer taste. a little bit sweet. but it has some bruised fruit taste.

easy to drink like most wheat beers , but very filling. a satisfying beer . drink it on an empty stomach. (276 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Nice hazy amber color with touches of orange. Nice big head that dissipated with some sheeting along the sides throughout the drink.

S - Great hefe smell, with nice banana and clove. Smells more sweet than spicey, with some nice phenol and yeast on the end.

T - It's a pretty sweet banana tasting brew, and it gets too sweet to drink tons of, although it tastes pretty good. I get the feeling a lot of non-craft beer drinkers may like the taste on this one. Nice yeasty quality to it.

M - Medium bodied with some nice bubbles, sweet finish.

D - Fairly easy drinker, although the sweetness can get to you. Pleasant to drink, would drink it if it was around. (664 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Served in an Ayinger weiss glass. Crack this open and right off the bat this beer has a TON of foam. You really have to pour this hefe slowly or risk the onslaught of all foam and little beer. Pour is orangish in color with a nice 3 finger billowing white head. Notes of strong banana, bubblegum, and yeasty aromas. Very effervescent and great mouthfeel.

Overall this is probably one of the best German style hefes being brewed in America. Beautiful in its presentation. However I still prefer the German variety a little more.

Cheers! (546 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Grant for bringing back from WI. My first pint (I will give it another go) showed abundant white head. The aroma was full of cinammon spicey wheat. Above average mouthfeel. Very sweet orangey, clove, corriander. Almost cloying, so I did not fiund overly drinkable. I remember more balanced hefes. (303 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a cloudy murky yellow into my wheat glass. Head dances up to the rim on a moderate pour and quickly settles to an 1/8 inch pillow.

Aroma is very citric sweet on top of banana. Taste follows the nose with a very heavy banana and bubblegum presence that has a bit of a hop finish and citric twang.

Maybe not as carbonated as I would like - like those scrubbing bubbles. This one is pretty darn good, I just do not like it as much as others do. (451 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.9%

Bottle as an extra in trade from forget who. Have had this sitting for a while so hopefully not past it's prime. Pours hazy golden colored with a huge fluffy white head. Aroma if sweet honey, pears, apples, wheat malts, coriander. Flavor is sweet Bavarian wheat malts, some crisp spiciness, pears and apples galore, honey balanced with crisp bitterness. Light plus bodied with lots of carbonation and very easy drinking. A nice hefe. (433 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.9%

Dancing Man wheat pours a hazy copper color, with a large lacy head. The smell has a strong wheat notes with alot of spices. The taste is creamy, good wheat taste, and a nice subtle blend of the spices. I found it easier to drink then other hefeweizens, and I could easily go for another. Overall I found this enjoyable, and one of the better wheat beers out there. (365 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%

Purchased from the Hilltop brewery in New Glarus, WI. Poured into a weiss glass this beer showed a bright golden body with a white head. Aroma of fruity esters most notably cloves and a faint bubble gum character. Mouthfeel was light bodied with crisp carbonation. The malt and wheat flavors were good, but not outstanding. Good drinkability, but I wasn't reaching for a second one. (382 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a bottle into a hefe glass. Good banana scent as soon as I opened the bottle.

A: Two fingers of golden head, collapsing fairly quickly to one lingering finger, leaving only slight lacing on the sides. Hazy, and just a tad dark. Actively effervescent. The fine bubbles form a creamy, stable head, expected with all that wheat-y, yeasty protein.

S: Banana, wheat, and yeast. I get a touch of clove, but very little of the cinnamon the bottle describes. Perhaps a bit of tart noble hops?

T: Solid. Wheat in good proportion, good but not overwhelming banana, and a hint of the clove, just like the nose. Mild, lingering bitterness. On the high end of boozy for the style, but otherwise almost frighteningly true to form.

M: Good chew from the wheat, and spot-on effervescence. Refreshing, but for a bit too much alcoholic heat.

D: Pretty high. This is New Glarus, after all. I would ding this beer for its alcohol content, but it is one of the better examples of the style if you're going for authenticity. A well-executed beer, if you're in the right mood, this will please almost as well as any true Bavarian. I wouldn't call it sessionable--but certainly very drinkable. (1,188 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a New Glarus 20th Anniversary Pilsner Glass.

The beer pours a hazy golden copper color, visible bubbles rising from the bottom to the top of the glass with a big fluffy, white head that vanishes quickly and leaves no lacing behind. The aroma is a nice balance of banana and clovey yeast, pale wheat and sweet grain and a bit of cracked peppercorn. The flavors are right in line, lots of banana, wheat, sweetcorn, clove and lemon with some sweet pale bready grain and an earthy pepper presence and a bit of saltiness. The body is nice, carbonation is a bit lower than anticipated, but it coats the mouth well and finishes with a nice creamy touch and just a touch of prickly bubbles.

Verdict: A decent Hefeweizen from New Glarus, and honestly, a bit of a letdown from this brewery. This still hits the mark as a refreshing seasonal but compared to some of the other lagers that New Glarus makes, this one just seems to fall short. (956 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Tried inverted pour from 12 oz bottle into a 22 oz glass....got some very minor overflow.

A: The head at first was 5 or 6 fingers, but then down to a normal three or so. It's white, with bubbles of all sizes and decent active carbonation. The color is fairly orange/golden on not the dull color I would want from a hefe. It's hazy, but not really from the yeast it appears to me. The head shrinks fast.

S: I get wheaty, but I also smell some bland fruity hops and almost a Belgian yeast funk. Some candy sweetness. Something I really link to a sour smell. Not bready or wheaty enough at all.

T: Still fruity and not wheaty. It also isn't boozy, which impresses me with the flavors being what they are the ABV being what it is. I don't taste banana or clove or anything like what I would expect here. Though I don't totally dislike it. Hmm, I take that back, I get a very VERY mild banana aftertaste like what you'd get in a smoothie that was banana AND something.

M: Smooth, but a little flat to be honest, which is a nice change of pace from most hefes that blow you up like a balloon. It's not thin or sharp, nor is it chewy, it's a good, almost milky middle ground.

D: Very drinkable. Interesting flavor, interesting mouthfeel. I will be happy to finish up what I have, but not sure if i want more. (1,306 characters)

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company