Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 443 | Hads: 1,282
4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

This one pours cloudy golden with a monster head that hangs out for a good 5 minutes. Aroma is sweet fruit esp bannana and wheat. Flavor is outstanding easily the best hefe I've ever had. Bannana and grapefruit the dominent flavors in this one. What makes this hefe special is the way it finishes. It finishes so clean with a tinge of wheat and sweetness from the bannana. Better done than the german hefes that I've had. This is better than their unplugged version which I felt was a little unbalanced. Will get more.

A very good Hefe. It looks, smells, and tastes just like a hefe should. The clove is well blended with the banana, which I appreciate because I tend to like more banana-leaning hefes. The body/mouthfeel of the beer is excellent, slightly chewy but in a very refreshing way.

I wish I could pound multiples of these beers, like I feel hefes were really intended for, but unfortunately the ABV keeps that option at bay.

Still a knockout offering from NG.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Into the pint glass goes a pale orange pour, mostly clear until the last yeast-laden ounces are swirled and dumped in. A very nice white froth this beer has. Great carbonation streams through the glass. Lace sticks randomly in flecks and patches.

S: Nice aroma of cloves, spices and ripe banana.

T: Terrific flavor: bold spices (cloves, cinnamon, a little nutmeg), banana and a load of wheat taste.

M: Crisp feel, medium body, excellent carbonation that's active without being overbearing. I can't believe the 7% ABV, I could drink this all day.

D: Awesome flavor and aroma, definitely a hefeweizen I'd buy this regularly. Highly recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Apperance: Poured 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Nice foam head which stays with the full drink. Brownish-yellow in color.

Smell: Lots of wheat, cloves, and cinnamon.

Taste: Great clean flavor. The wheat really sticks out. Really good sweetness, other than the wheat the cinnamon is not to overpowering, a really good balance.

Mouthfeel: The beer stays in your mouth for the full drink. The wheat stays in your mouth well after you're done.

Drink: To me, like all hefeweizens real easy to drink. The alcohol is really well hidden.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I was not expecting anything special from this beer. Based on alot of things I was thinking of this as more of a filler in the beer tasting that was provided for me. While trying many New Glarus brews this one happened to be mine and many others favoritte. The review and description of this beer was quite easy and I would recommend it for all rookies to beer.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy orange. It looked as if all of the ingredients were trying to seperate as you stared at the glass more and more.
The smell was potent and obvious to the different fruits and clove that were present. I smelled bananas for the majority but you could also smell many different citrus.
Taste was incredible. I loved the flavor of this beer. The banana was extremely pleasing to the palate and i also enjoyed the cloves. Throughout the night people were refering to Dancing Man as "The Banana Beer".
Mouthfeel was pleasant as well. This beer was an amazingly drinkable beer that might be my new favoritte thing to drink as a refresher.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm going to start off by saying I don't normally like Hefeweizens.

This is a good, solid, easy drinking beer. Really nice mouthfeel. Almost creamy. I'm glad it didn't have a big bannana taste like some (like I said, not usually a fan of Hefeweizens). Just a nice kind of spice character. Really good beer. I enjoyed this even as my beloved Blackhawks got their asses handed to them by the bruins. Maybe it was the 7.2 abv that helped it, but its a solid brew.

Get your ass to Wisconsin and enjoy some!

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a chilled pint glass.
Comes an opaque pale amber/gold with a tall foamy head.
Smells of wheat malt, hay, pepper, clove, lemon.
Tastes of said smells as well as apricot and clove.
It is a clean and refreshing drink, yet creamy as well. Never would have guessed the ABV was 7.2% and was surprised to find out so. Nice brew.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy golden color with some heavy carbonation. The wheat smell is evident immediately, but is not overpowering. Not a ton of flavor, some sweet apples stuck in there which were a nice surprise. Definitely a nice session beer.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to the lovely and talented natasharai for this Wisconsin-only masterpiece!

Appearance: A weizen pour yields a golden-orange, almost honey-colored body with a creamy white head. This stuff is slightly less murky than many hefeweizens, but still nice and cloudy with suspended yeast. Effervescence produces a lingering cap of tiny bubbles, and ample lacing.

Smell: Mmm...sweet, sweet hefeweizen. Smells like Live Oak, with marginally more overt wheatiness. Honeysuckle, powdered sugar, wheat, and a dry, yeasty backbone. I'd better taste this stuff, FAST.

Taste: WHEAT! Not as overly sweet as I expected, based on the nose, but still good. Of all the hefeweizens I've had -- and I've had a lot of them -- I think this one does the best job of featuring the wheat without overwhelming the palate with twangy funk. The funk is certainly there, but it's relatively mild (albeit more prominent as the brew warms up). Backing all that wheat is an abiding, but never cloying, sweetness. Dancing Man is a bit fruitier than most hefeweizens -- not banana fruity, but apples-and-citrus fruity. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel: A LITTLE less creamy and lighter than I'd ideally like, but still great. Borders on sticky, but has enough carbonation and water to escort the stuff down my throat without difficulty. I believe the goal here is refreshment, and that's accomplished in spades.

Drinkability: Stellar. Just stellar. A truly great summer beer -- I'd love to try some of this after a long day outside in the 90-degree Georgia heat. It's noteworthy that the 7.2% ABV is TOTALLY hidden. Seriously, I did a double-take when I saw that. While I was drinking it, Dancing Man seemed like a 5% ABV (or lower) beer.

If you like hefeweizens, it is imperative that you seek out some Dancing Man. It belongs up there with the best examples of the style -- American or otherwise.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

At first, nothing unusual: it pours a semi-cloudy, dark gold, with a towering cream-colored head of pillowy foam. Although the thin residue of yeast coating the bottom of the bottle is proof that this beer is indeed bottle-conditioned, it isn't nearly as cloudy as a lot of unfiltered wheats you'll come across. The nose is borderline mind-blowing: ultra-intense Belgian-like spiciness over top a bed of traditional Bavarian-wheat bananas and cloves. Wow.

It'd be a tall order for the taste to live up to the aroma--and it doesn't--but it's still pretty damn fantastic. The spiciness is toned down from the nose and, although still awful lively for a wheat, it's complemented almost perfectly with a mix of bananas and yeast. There isn't a huge banana/clove presence like you'd find in traditional Bavarian wheats, but there's enough to balance out that spice. Some lemony, citrus notes come out as the beer warms, furthering the complexity. All underneath a soft, clean palate that you've come to expect from a well-made wheat.

3.03/5  rDev -29%

12 oz. bottle Hazy, honey colored pour into an 8 oz. tasting stange. Silky smooth, 2 finger butter colored head with some soapy lacing.

The nose is predominantly ripe banana, fresh ground clove, allspice, lemon rinds & bubble gum (?)!WOW

Not surprising that the taste follows the nose closely with a little more definition. Sweet bubble gum, warm banana bread, brown sugar, cloves & honey. There's a slightly medicinal after taste. A tart crisp finish with a hint of pepper. The spices are now more pronounced in the nose...brisk & refreshing.

The mouth is well carbonated, smooth & creamy with a clean, lingering texture on the tongue.
I can't help but be reminded of Christmas potporri.

Pretty easy to drink considering the ABV. This was a relatively unfamiliar style for me & my ability to compare is limited. A little too clove-y for me & one was enough...probably not something I'd go out of may way for again, but worth trying.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz bottle into a stange

A - Pours a hazy yellow-orange with a huge pillowy head of off white foam. Minimal lacing

S - Banana, cloves, yeast, wheat

T - Right along the lines of the nose. Its actually a pretty pleasant tasting hefe. Not overpowering in any aspect.

M - My favorite aspect of this one. Medium bodied and oh so smooth. Has a very crisp finish too. Really enjoy the feel here.

O - I'm not a hefe fan so for me to enjoy one this much it must be a good one. Really enjoyed this one and can see mixing this into the rotation here and there

In a pint glass.

Very nice head didn't really keep but nice initially. Nice golden yellow in color. Smells kind of like a beligain. Tastes very nice with some more fruitier esters in it. A mild mouthfeel to it with flowery notes. Its a very nice hefe I enjoy it on a once and a while kind of basis. I will def be pickin this one up again though. Drinkin local.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy, golden yellow with an inch of white head. The color grows darker towards the top of the glass. Head dwindles down to a thin, fluffy cap that leaves great lacing.

S: Immediately I pick up banana esters and sweet malts. The scent is straight caramelized bananas, with a touch of clove and vanilla.

T: Sweet caramelized bananas and vanilla off the bat. The sweetness carries through the entire way and the clove adds a nice touch mid-way through and in the finish. This is an awesome hefeweizen!!

M: Rich with plenty of carbonation.

D: Wow, this is the best hefe I've ever tasted.. even though that hasn't been too many.. but still! You don't even notice the 7.2% abv on this one at all. This has definitely been my favorite beer from New Glarus

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

Enjoyed on 7/18/13 from a bottle.

A: Initial pour results in a large, puffy white head that slowly dissapates over the next 2 minutes. Little to no head apparent afterward. Beer pours a remarkably clear straw, light yellow color. Very little haze or sediment present - odd since I expected a cloudy brew.

S: A very subtle nose of clove, banana, and a small tinge of lemon. Nothing special.

T&M: Very spice-forward for a wheat beer. Initial citrus hoppy flavors quickly give way to spice overtones - clove, pepper, and cinnamon mainly. Cinnamon lingers on the tongue long after the sip. Banana flavors are present, but in very small amounts. The beer is quite effervescent - typical for the style but not quite my taste.

O: On the fruit::spice continuum of wheat beers, this is probably the most spice-forward brew I've ever had. If that's your thing, you'll absolutely love this beer. Me - not so much. It's too cinammon-y ...especially on the back-end. Additionally, I find the beer a tad too carbonated. To make this beer better, I'd dial down the carbonation and spice additions....but I understand what they were going for.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

12 oz bottle

A- A somewhat cloudy golden color with a half inch pael head
S- A spicy wheat aroma
T- A fairly strong yet smooth spice flavor of clove and a little cinammon
M- decent carbonation
D- Very smooth drinking beer without the usual sickening spice/burnt wheat flavor that I get from other hefeweizens

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle from a "Cheesehead Care Package" sent by my buddy in Wisconsin poured into a weizen glass.

A: Beautiful cloudy orangish/golden color. Slight head that recedes pretty quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Strong banana and cloves. Slight citrus hint as well.

T: Banana up front, with cloves sneaking up right behind. delicious. Slightly tart finish.

M: Dances on the tongue, chewy and not too heavy which is what you are looking for in this style. With the ABV, you would not expect this. Very sneaky!

D: Very drinkable, which is scary, because that ABV would sneak up with you pretty quickly. During the summer I could easily through down a 6'er of Hefe's and this one is no different...boy would I be in trouble with this one!!
I am forever in debt for receving this one. Now what sort of "Masshole" care package can I put together to match this!

12 oz pour into a pint glass. Here we go:

A - hazy golden/yellow color with pretty massive head. Plenty of carbonation in this one.

S - Clove and spice

T - Tart flavor with spices, ginger and cinnamon dominate.

M - A little fizzy...sounds tacky, but it feels like it's dancing in my mouth

D - Goes down real well, abv a little high to be able to session, but I could go for another.

Another fine brew from New Glarus.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

One good thing about living in the Chicago land area is that it's not too far of a drive to New Glarus, Wisconsin so you can stock up on their many excellent craft beers. I feel "Dancing Man" is one of their finest.

A: Golden and slightly hazy on the pour. Nice creamy head with lacing that remains almost all the way to the bottom of the glass. A most inviting first impression.

S: The aroma for this beer when poured is interesting. Citrus, cloves, a little banana, but also some spiciness like a hint of pepper.

T: Simply outstanding. All the flavors I love of a Heffe, blended with the complexity of a Belgium Blonde. It really delivers a palate pleasing experience. Slight tart finish. Alcohol is well hidden and the flavors are well balanced with none overwhelming the experience.

M: Smooth and clean. The slight tartness at the end leave a clean feel to the palate.

D: I know the alcohol content in up there for this style, but I can easily drink a number of there beauties. The beer is so refreshing it is hard to believe it's potent. Hands down one of my favorite beers.

If you like wheat beers and enjoy Belgium Blondes, this is the perfect marriage. This beer is a "seasonal" brew, available from (I believe) May through July.

4.14/5  rDev -3%

Had this 4 weeks ago, putting down what my notes are

Heard only good things bout' this hefe so I gave er' a go.

A- Nice hazy yellow-gold color with white head

S- smells great I give this beer that! Gum clove lemon!

T- Found this beer very tasty buttt the taste at the end/aftertaste was kind of crazy intense to me like a reallly wheaty clove taste.

M- seemed light not too shabby don't seem like a 7.2%

D- It's drinkable but really I only want one of these at a crack the end notes are bit too much for my palate

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

A - Slightly hazy golden beer with a fluffy, but fleeting foam crop of head. Very nice looking beer, that is just ever so slightly hazy. Quite lively carbonation long after the head has dispersed itself into a coaster.

S - Great hefeweizen smell. Bubblegum and Banana come through with a slight astringent note in the background. This one begs you to take a hearty swig...

T - WOW. This is what a Hefe is supposed to taste like! Although present, the bananas and bubblegum aren't as up front in the taste as they are the nose, but the slight cinnamon note mixed with the Clove presence in the finish really make this beer shine. Impeccable balance of yeast, clove, and classic banana notes on the finish. No mustiness to be found. Simply put, this is just a clean, crisp, and fantastic wheat beer.

M - A bit more thin than other Hefeweizens out there, but it does not adversely affect the experience.

D - Incredibly drinkable, especially for the ABV. So drinkable in fact, that I have purchased every 6 pack of this stuff that I have come across left over from this years run. Undoubtedly one of my favorite beers, and another World Class offering from Dan and Deb @ New Glarus!

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Bright golden orange in color, a clean pour yielded about 3 fingers of head.

S: Strong banana and spice. Fantastic.

T: More spice in the flavor with a lingering banana plus a bit of acidity.

M: Very carbonated.

O: Very very spice forward and quite good for an American hefe, but not the best buy New Glarus by far.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So floral, so delicious. Hazy, golden, beautiful... this is a phenomenal hefe. This is the perfect summer brew. New Glarus just doesn't seem to miss. I only wish I lived closer to their beautiful brewery! The smell becomes ever more floral as the beer warms. Absolutely world class... easily on par with its German equivalents.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Color is a pale golden straw color with a big white head that keeps a light cover over the top of the beer from the high carbonation.
Aroma- big bready malt balanced with esters and cloves. Smell like a good breakfast in a glass. Taste- Sweet pilsner malt with a good amount of bread. Banana and cloves are balanced perfectly with the malt neither dominates. Some more sweetness probably from the alcohol that is a hidden 7.2%. Finishes semi dry with a slight noble bitterness. One of my favorite beers.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle

A: hazy golden color. very large white head.

S: Strong aroma; sweet; yeast; spices.

T: starts with sweetness and a touch more than a hint of fruit; very crisp and ends with bananas.

M: heavy carbonation; smooth.

O: a very good beer. certainly holds it own with the popular hefeweizens. Gladly drink this on a hot summer night.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company