Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

pours a cloudy straw/sunset yellow color with a big puffy white head like a belgium ale that does recede to a great head and great lacing.... the smell is awesome its clove ,cinnamon,bananas,pears and melons..theres a grain /wheat smell.. its one of those brews from just the smell and look that you know its something good.... then WOW!! the taste is over the top goodness it hits the taste buds with such a great balance of clove and cinnamon and all the b4 mentioned fruits i feel like im at the farmers market this is an exceptional crafted hefeweizen..the drinkability is exceptional i can not believe that this is 7.2 abv it drinks like it is < 5.0... this is a must try if you like wheats, or hefes.. NG is an exceptional brewery that just puts out outstanding well crafted brews only available in WI... this one cracked wheat and black wheat are all really A's...all three highly recommended

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

A good man by the name of Corey sent this my way. This with a tasty variety of NG offerings were in a beautiful box. Notes taken from last weekend while enjoying it with some ostrich on the grill.
Bottle Graphics: 9/10. Pure class.

A: Hazy yellow body, looks delicious. The head forms pillow bunches like the clouds on the Simpsons.

S: Wheaty aromas. Spices and sweetness, nothing standout or what I would think would lead me to the dynamic tastes.

T: Almost as good as the Crack'd Wheat and that my friends is saying a lot. The banana and yeast flavors are much more present and the bitterness lays low. Just a personal style thing.

Bananas and wheat usually prevalant in lesser versions of this style leave me bored but this showcases all the fine aspects of flavor.

M: Texturally perfect. Not much carbonation but just thick enough with some pillowiness. Walks the fine line of a good hefe being refreshing yet creamy.

D: I would never pencil this in north of 5% abv. This beer was designed for sitting and sipping at the grill in a good hefe glass. I am not a hefeweizen lover, but I love this beer and appreciate it for what it is.

This is a tremendous beer. New Glarus is something I would not have known of if not for trading and traders like maximum12. This is a top top notch brewery.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Harpoon UFO hefe glass. Appears a cloudy pale straw color with two solid fingers of fluffy, lingering, bone white head. A great looking pour. Nose and flavor are of spicy ,peppery yeast, sweet bananas, some citrus, mainly lemons, lightly toasted wheat, some clove. Delicious stuff. Falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with ample carbonation. Quite drinkable, as my glass was empty in no time.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A recent goodie from my main trading man maximum12. Props must also go out though to wisconsinbeer1 who has supplied me with many a jewel from New Glarus as well. These 2 are about the best that you could ever find for midwest trading partners.

A - Poured from a fresh bottle into my waiting Franz glass. A cloudy yellow that is punched by a white mushroom of a head. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

S - Similar to what everyone else has said in that you get a luscious smell of clove, banana, and yeasty goodness. You can tell simply from the smell that you are going to be in for a treat.

T - Does not have the hop profile that Crack'd Wheat has and I enjoy both beers to tell you the truth. For my money though, this is the winner. Great wheat taste with a lovely banana and clove undertone.

M- Just about the perfect summer beverage.

D - OUTSTANDING. For a summer beverage, this is perfect. The perfect beer for relaxing outside with friends. Should be required for anyone sitting outside on the deck just killing time.

Certainly, one of the best wheat beers that I have ever had. You can't beat it. Which one of you (maximum12 or wisconsinbeer1) is sending me my next fix. Please do it fast.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

This pours a pale, yellow color, it's slightly hazy, but quite a bit clearer than many hefes I've had. The head is quite explosive, billowing to a mighty froth with even the most delicate of pours. The aggressive carbonation is evident by a cascade of tiny bubbles that feed the everlasting head.

The aroma is quite heavy in fruity esters, predominated by banana, but I think the cloves take the front seat in this category. A very subtle citrus aroma is also detected mid-way through.

The flavor also consists of these yeasty esters, and once again I feel that the clove makes it's presence known, but it has a great cushion of banana and other fruity flavors to really keep it in check. Sweet, refreshing, fruity and hop-free.

The beer feels bubbly and sweet on the tongue. A great, refreshing mouthfeel. An awesome beer to consume throughout the summer, I can think of nothing better than to be sitting around a campfire on a hot summer's eve sipping on some Dancing Man Wheat Beer (except maybe to be sipping some Crack'd Wheat).

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to d0b for throwing me a mixed sixer from WI. Served in my weizen glass.

A - Huge billowy foam that eventually settles into a four fingers of persistent egg-white head and glass-coating lacing. The beer is a slightly hazed golden straw color with a ton of tiny bubbles rising to the top.

S - Tons of clove, banana, bubblegum, lemon, and other spices - reminiscent of Crack'd Wheat but without the intense hopping. There are also some malt and yeast notes, but it's not the sharp wheat smell that I get from other Hefes. I get a sense that if we got fresh German wheat beers in the US they would smell a lot like this.

T - The taste is a little yeastier with some cinnamon spice and the aforementioned fruit flavors (banana, lemon, maybe a bit of apple as well). The taste isn't so complicated - pretty much the stuff you'd expect from a hefeweizen, but wonderfully fresh and delicious all the same.

M - Surprisingly medium-bodied, with lower carbonation (it's all in the foam!), and lots of residual stickiness. The only knock I can think of is that it's not quite as refreshing as most hefes.

D - I can't taste the 7.2% at all - I'd put this closer to ~5%. The mouthfeel is a bit chewier than I'd want from a session beer, but otherwise it goes down real easy - nice mild carbonation and minimal aftertaste.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to the lovely and talented natasharai for this Wisconsin-only masterpiece!

Appearance: A weizen pour yields a golden-orange, almost honey-colored body with a creamy white head. This stuff is slightly less murky than many hefeweizens, but still nice and cloudy with suspended yeast. Effervescence produces a lingering cap of tiny bubbles, and ample lacing.

Smell: Mmm...sweet, sweet hefeweizen. Smells like Live Oak, with marginally more overt wheatiness. Honeysuckle, powdered sugar, wheat, and a dry, yeasty backbone. I'd better taste this stuff, FAST.

Taste: WHEAT! Not as overly sweet as I expected, based on the nose, but still good. Of all the hefeweizens I've had -- and I've had a lot of them -- I think this one does the best job of featuring the wheat without overwhelming the palate with twangy funk. The funk is certainly there, but it's relatively mild (albeit more prominent as the brew warms up). Backing all that wheat is an abiding, but never cloying, sweetness. Dancing Man is a bit fruitier than most hefeweizens -- not banana fruity, but apples-and-citrus fruity. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel: A LITTLE less creamy and lighter than I'd ideally like, but still great. Borders on sticky, but has enough carbonation and water to escort the stuff down my throat without difficulty. I believe the goal here is refreshment, and that's accomplished in spades.

Drinkability: Stellar. Just stellar. A truly great summer beer -- I'd love to try some of this after a long day outside in the 90-degree Georgia heat. It's noteworthy that the 7.2% ABV is TOTALLY hidden. Seriously, I did a double-take when I saw that. While I was drinking it, Dancing Man seemed like a 5% ABV (or lower) beer.

If you like hefeweizens, it is imperative that you seek out some Dancing Man. It belongs up there with the best examples of the style -- American or otherwise.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a rich, vibrant hazy golden orange with a two-finger peachy colored head that has impressive retention. fades fairly quickly to a thin collar that leaves only minimal lacing.

aroma of strong clove spice and banana, both fresh and artificial. phenolic and fruit estery. powerful... rich... banana and spice with some doughy bready notes. interestingly enticing.

clove and banana power up front, followed by clean wheat malt, citrusy notes of lemon and tangerine, then a bit more banana, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace. caramel, honey and just a hint of herbal hop notes.

mouthfeel is sprightly, rich, fairly moderate with a hint of sweet syrup but strong carbonation cuts through and pricks the tongue with lively flavors. excellent for the style.

drinkability is impressive, especially considering the relatively high abv. an exceptional brew that truly rivals many of the bavarian hefe-weizens. I'm impressed. and wish I had a few more. An amazing brew from a stateside brewer... definitely worth seeking out.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from bottle into my Duvel tulip.

Huge 3 finger white head on your typical golden white body, head doesn't last long, almost no lacing. Nose is slight with wheat malts, not much else. Mouth is carbonated, taste is sweet, almost nutra-sweet. Not too different from most hefe's I've tried flavor wise. Kind of boring, especially next to the crack'd wheat. Drinkability is there if you like hefe's, but here is really a style I'm not typically in the mood for. I think I'll stick with my Live Oak when I am in the mood. Thanks to Taturbo for the NG's.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Aroma: Spicy clove/phenol up front, some banana in background, elegant fruitiness, classic hefeweizen nose

Appearance: Pours with a beautiful head, gradually subsiding leaving a bit of lace, deep golden colour, hazy (as appropriate to style)

Flavour: Spicy weizen flavour, liquid bread, a touch of citrus (lemon and a touch of orange), fruity, estery. Very elegantly done, everything that should be there is there without being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Mediun-full body, perhaps fuller than the typical hefeweizen, moderate carbonation. At 7+% alcohol, you'd expect it to be warming, but the alcohol is not really a predominant characteristic. A bit deceptive

Overall drinkability: This has everything a classic hefeweizen should have, and apparently more alcohol, too, but it's not overdone, wonderfully balanced.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

A: After giving the bottle a good roll on the table to release the yeast which had settled on the bottom of the bottle, this beer poured a beautiful, yeast-filled hazy straw color into my pint glass. Just as I would hope and expect. A beautiful, well sustained 2 inch head slowly dissipates, leaving a nice lace on the glass as this beauty goes down.

S: The spicy clove scent and smooth banana aroma smack you right in the nose as you lean in for a good whiff of this baby. Ahh...heaven.

T: Ohhhh so good. This one's got what you want in a Hefe-Weizen. A delicious spiciness with a full flavored yeast backing this one hits you where you like it. Right in the Boo Boo.

M: A nice malty, yeasty, chewy mouthfeel that you want in a classic German style Wheat beer. Nice carbonation and smooth finish.

D: I could drink this baby all night long if the situation called for it. Very drinkable and extremely delicious. New Glarus and Dan have done it again.

I can't say enough good things about this beer. If you enjoy a classic German Hefe-Weizen, you're certain to love this beer. From the moment it hits the glass, til the last drop hits your lips, this baby does a body good!

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Last night I hosted a blind tasting of 8 different wheat beers, and this is the only one that I made notes on (and very sparse ones at that).

As soon as I open the bottle the banana leaps out at me (scary image), and it extends from the pour, arm in arm with a large dose of cloves. The pour itself is beautiful - a very hazy gold with a billowy white head. Great banana flavours, accompanied by orange and sweet fruity malts. I'm also picking up strong caramel notes and a light cider background. Far heavier mouthfeel than a regular hefe... almost weizenbock-esque, but I suppose that's the alcohol and sugars padding things out a little.

How did it compare to the others? Fuller mouthfeel and more toffee off the bat. Less of a thirst quencher, but with a bit more intensity. It definitely beat out Paulaner, Erdinger and Hacker-Pschorr. I would put it a tiny bit below Weihenstephaner, and this seems to reflect the general consensus of the BA community. Its a tough call though, because a after tasting through a bunch of hefes and finishing on this you realise what a completely different beast it is. Thanks Derek for bringing this over!

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

In a large weizen glass held before direct late-morning sunshine, Dancing Man glows creamy gold and pretty hazy. A huge rush of bubbles from multiple streamers of internal carbonation feeds a billowing, grainy, eggshell-colored head with good retention but only moderate lace-sticking power.

The smell is malty-wheat-tangy with a load of gooey ripe banana puree. An even-handed pinch of cinnamon and a ham-handed punch of clove sparkle in the sweetly succulent perfume of nutty, tangy grain and spicy yeast.

The taste is rich and deep with a substantial, nutty, toasted wheat backbone. The quaffable brew is gently spiced and sweetly laden with malty-banana fruitiness. A dusting of cinnamon and dark brown toast complement one another in a crisp finish that is near-perfectly balanced by a touch of raw wheaty tang.

The drink is medium in body and almost... almost... just a smidge too well-carbonated, but is nonetheless a true delight to enjoy on a warm and sunny pre-Spring day. Like everything else I've enjoyed from New Glarus, the beer is well-made, truly delicious, and makes me wish I could get it here full time. Failing that, I'll just have to rely on the local brew-god-understudy to keep the Wisconsin-born beer-goodness coming southward! Thanks Matt!

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at the Sexual Chocolate release at Foothills Brewing Company, Winston Salem, NC. Poured into a sampling glass.

Appearance: Pours an incredibly dirty, hazy, golden brown bodied beer. Perhaps the color of a bruised pear, or a pear that you've bitten into and then let oxidize in the noon day sun for a good twenty, twenty-five minutes. The head fades quickly, probably a result of the alcohol level (which I only see now that I'm reviewing this one - whoa!), and the lacing is similarly retarded. It's an intense color, but not a particularly pleasant one.

Aroma: Can I have some beer with my freshly-baked loaf of banana bread, please? Intensely pungent and rich banana bread with all the right notes - soft, subtle sweetness, nuttiness - pecans, walnuts perhaps - and other gentle, clove- and cinnamon-esque spicy notes. Notes of banana rum, as well, which again is explainable by the relatively high abv%. A really strong nose, and an incredibly pleasant one.

Taste: More of the same. Light and fruity, with tons of bready malts, bananas again, nuts again, plenty of sweet malts - though this time with a light kiss of roast, not quite caramelly, but definitely slightly caramel-ized. The other major difference is that the yeasty earthiness imparted by, well, my bottom of the bottle pour, I suppose. Adds quite an interesting dynamics.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a slight alcohol prickle, above average carbonation, and above-average evenness, which definitely improves with warmth.

Drinkability: Wow. This one was really very impressive, probably more in the realm of an Imperial Hefe (does such a thing exist?), but that's alright. It hits every typical hefe note, adds a dose of nuttiness, and amps everything up to 11. The presence of the alcohol, though ever so slight, also adds an interesting dynamic to the nose. Another huge, huge win from New Glarus, fast becoming one of my favorite breweries.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

This is a great beer.

A: Pours a great golden with a nice 1" head.

S: Banana, yeast, wheat. What a smell!

T: This is just what I want it to taste like. Fruity, yeasty, with a touch of a bite at the end.

It's a mouthwatering beer. As soon as you drink it you want to go back!

D: I could drink these all day long!

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Golden and hazy. Very foamy and effervescent. Wheaty, sweet, nice beer. Very enjoyable and I'd definitely drink it again...to bad I can't pick it up locally.

Nice wheat...really didn't taste the 7.2 ABV...great even when it's cold out. But I can imagine it in the summer sitting back and enjoying a few of these with some BBQ.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Into the pint glass goes a pale orange pour, mostly clear until the last yeast-laden ounces are swirled and dumped in. A very nice white froth this beer has. Great carbonation streams through the glass. Lace sticks randomly in flecks and patches.

S: Nice aroma of cloves, spices and ripe banana.

T: Terrific flavor: bold spices (cloves, cinnamon, a little nutmeg), banana and a load of wheat taste.

M: Crisp feel, medium body, excellent carbonation that's active without being overbearing. I can't believe the 7% ABV, I could drink this all day.

D: Awesome flavor and aroma, definitely a hefeweizen I'd buy this regularly. Highly recommended.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A - pours a nice light rust orane with about a 1/4 inch of foam that quickly disappeared and left only a ring of bubbles around the glass with no lacing whatsoever

S - nice wheat aroma with hints of orange and banana

T - wheat taste with hints of banana and orange but an overwhelming taste of bubblegum

M/D - nice medium bodied Hefe that keeps me coming back to the glass frequently. I've been very happy with all my New Glarus brews and I only wish I could get them locally. Nice stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer pours a slightly hazy, light golden color, with a thick, fluffy white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer smells fruity. I can detect some banana, lemon, and orange. It also has a clovey aroma. Some coriander also makes an apperance.

This beer tastes like it smells. Colves, with some banana, ornage and lemon flavor. It is very good.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a spicy covey aftertaste. It is highly carbonated, fitting the style well.

This beer might make a good session beer. The only problem is the alcohol content. It might be just a little high to enjoy too many.

Overall: A big thanks goes out to Orbitalr0x for this great beer. I am impressed. I guess I have pretty much been impressed with everything from New Glarus. Great beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

A 12 oz. bottle with a pry-off cap, its labeled illustrated with -surprise- a 'dancing man'. A lederhosen-clad, stein-hoisting man, in fact. Prost

Thanks (I believe) go to mnwags for this one. If I'm wrong, then thanks to whoever the kind soul was who sent this.

A: Into the pint glass goes a pale orange pour, mostly clear until the last yeast-laden ounces are swirled and dumped in. A tornadic-swirl of sediment then a misty haze. Nice 2-fingers of crackly white froth, dropping to a thin and slightly lumpy creamy. Vigorous and steady carbonation streams through the glass. Lace sticks randomly in flecks and patches.

S: Wow! Big aroma of cloves, spices and ripe banana. A hint of lemon zest and plenty of baked bread. Rich and hearty aroma, detectable from a couple feet away.

T: Terrific flavor: bold spices (cloves, cinnamon, a little nutmeg), a mild citrus (lemon butter, orange peel?) and a load of wheaty goodness. So full of spice and zest, at times I'd wince a little. A deep, intoxicating version of the style.

M: Crisp feel, luscious medium body, excellent carbonation that's active without being overbearing. I noted the ABV tops the 7% threshold, so the fuller body and traces of alcohol warmth are expected (and welcomed!). Slight yeasty film.

D: Awesome flavor and aroma, a hefeweizen I'd LOVE to have again. The less-sessionable ABV prevents a perfect score on this, but not by much. Very highly recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear yellow color (did not pour the sediment in as I wasn't in the mood.) Big fluffy white head and lots of carbonation bubbles. Lacing is chunky and thick. Very nice floral aroma, bananas and clove are there, plus the nice wheat sour twang. Taste is right on with the nose. Fruitness, bananas, and underlying sweetness, light clove. This is one heck of a Hefe. At 7.2%, the alocohol is completely masked. Darn good, and right up there with Franziskaner Hefeweissbier for me.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Reviewed on 8/28/08. Bottle courtesy of iowaherkeye. Pours a hazy orange with a thick white head. Aroma of clove and citrus. Lots of fruits (citrus, lots of orange, melon) in the mouth, some vegetable notes (same ones I got in the Imperial Weizen). Strong for a hefe but supremely drinkable.
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5)

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Pours a slightly hazed dark golden color with a good two fingers of head on top. A bit lemony, some sour dough bread and a balanced banana / clove combo in the nose. Crisp and very smooth with a chewy medium body. Big fermented wheat twang of fresh baked wheat crackers, faint lemon rind, powdered clove and banana taffy. Maltiness holds strong with some many flavors being pushed against it, even when it comes to the warming estery fruity alcohol. Maltiness stays around for the aftertaste and leaves the beer semi-dry.

Wow, a 7.2% abv hefeweizen ... its pretty much bordering the weizenbock but it damn sure drinks like a hefe. Lovely stuff, perfect for a snowy night.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Picked up some of this at Woodman's in Kenosha. Gotta love New Glarus! Drank form my Port pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super clear (apparently filtered Hef) straw colored yellow with a big bright white one finger effervescent head. It recedes very slowly leaving behind a nice cap and thick collar and a bit of webby lacing.
Smell- Terrifically full of banana goodness! Lightly sweet bananas are fruity, vibrant and luscious. Tons of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon permeate out of the glass. A bit of vanilla as well this is one great smelling nose. The spice and yeast have really done a number on this one.
Taste- Not as intense as the nose but amazingly delicious none-the-less. Slightly sweet and full of bananas and lemon zest and wheaty goodness. Clove, all-spice and some white pepper add a bit of a spicy zing. A bit of an acidic zing in the finish adds a citrusy bite. Some spices and more of the banana linger for quite some time.
Mouthfeel- Nice heavy body that is super smooth and creamy with a light zesty kick.
Drinkability- Honestly I was a bit surprised that this turned out to be a Hef (should have read the label). I thought it was going to be more of a summertime light wheat brew. Pleasantly surprised. This is a terrific Hef that rivals those overseas boys. Really good stuff that you should probably find... Now!

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Golden orange and very hazy. Thick, bubbly head that fades quickly to about one finger and then holds steady throughout the drink. Leaves very small smatterings of bubbly lace.

S - Very wheaty aroma with hints of banana. Very sweet aroma. Also some hints of bubble gum. No real spiciness like that which is often found in Hefeweizens.

T - Somewhat grainy initially before an overwhelming bubble gum taste takes over. Hints of banana as well but bubble gum is the primary taste. Just not the right profile that I look for in hefes.

M/D - Light to medium bodied. A little on the thin side. A passable hefe/wheat, but not a great one.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company