Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. This is one I have been wanting to try.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is bananas, cloves and wheat. The flavor is more of the same. The banana component of the flavor stands out the most, but the cloves and wheat are also present and keep the beer from being sweet and syrupy. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

An excellent hefeweizen, one of the best I have had.

Mora2000, Nov 03, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to mikesgroove for the bottle

A: Slightly hazy golden straw color with two fingers of billowy white head. Excellent head retention.

S: The banana and clove hit you right off the bat. You do get some sweetness from the wheat as well.The smell is kind of one dimensional but it is a perfect one for the style.

T: Not quite up there with Live Oak but close. The esters are running the show but there is a nice milkiness that the best examples of the style have IMO. Nice sweetness. The finish lingers leaving you wanting more.

M: Slightly sticky. Medium body. Well carbonated.

D: A super enjoyable and easy drinking beer. One of the better examples of the style I have ever had. Excellent beer.

aerozeppl, Oct 25, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

This was the most incredible smelling Hefeweiezn I've ever had, no doubt see this out. HUGE thanks to Gonzoillini to throw this in as an EXTRA, thanks Tony.

Notes in the aroma and flavor profiles: Banana, sweetened coconut, piña colada, bazooka bubbleum, banana laffy taffy, tropical fruit snow cone.

brandoneast, Oct 20, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4%

A solid, but not overly aggressive pour gets a bit away from me such that I end up with four-fingers of light tan froth that I have to suck the top off of to keep from over-flowing my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip. The head only subsides slowly, leaves quite a bit lacing on the sides of my glass and never fully dissapears. The beer is a fuller amber color that shows a hazed, gold-amber hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells amply fruity with notes of banana, sweet accentuating clove, some lime sorbet notes, perhaps some apple like notes, interesting wheat malt notes and a finish that reminds me of concord grape juice some how.

Slightly full bodied up front, but the finish sees a nice tartness become noticeable that helps to lighten up the finish of this beer quite a bit. Up front flavors of banana are coupled with the classic note of clove that lingers in the finish. The tartness in the finish brings out some flavors of apple in the finish, perhaps even a hint of citrus or lime that is more from the yeast and wheat than from hops. Hops actually aren't really a contributor here, which is as it should be, though there is a soft bitterness that is accentuated by a peppy carbonic effervescence and bite. This definitely has the fullness that I like to find in a good Hefeweizen, but it is also quite a bit stronger than a traditional example, so it should be.

I will admit to wanting to be blown away by this beer, so much so that I was quite critical of the first bottle of this that I had. This second bottle has settled in a bit better, but I have still had better examples. This one is quite good though; and this might not be as fresh as the best that I have had. In the end this is a nicely satisfying Hefewiezen; too soon I find my glass empty and I am wanting for more.

Gueuzedude, Oct 15, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

mariposafan, Oct 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of a74gent...served in a tall flute/hefe glass

A - gentle pour yields over an inch of very creamy, tight and puffy white foam. the beer is hazy, bright gold in color. sticky spotty lacing left behind, as the head remains through most of the drink.

S - banana, apples, some bubblegum for sweetness, slightly spicy clove and cinnamon. almost a bit vinegary and acidic towards the end. other notes of honeyed biscuits and ginger.

T - starts off on the sweet side, heavy on the banana and apple skins. bits of lemon and orange peel creep in, paired with some clove and cinnamon. finishes with just a slightly sour lemon twang. great balance, just about at that sweet spot for the style.

M - medium body with tight, punchy, effervescent carbonation - very active in the mouth. slightly sticky, yet creamy at the same time, coating the mouth with both sweet and spice.

D - this is a +7% beer? not detectable at all. enjoyable from first look to the final swallow. great balance between fresh fruit, spice, and yeasty flavors. going down as one of my favorite Hefe's comparable to any of the more authentic German offerings.

Stigs, Oct 12, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sending me this beer, along with many, many other awesome Wisconsin brews.

A: Massive yeasty pour, very cloudy gold color, and head the size of Wisconsin.

S: Banana, cloves, citrus, and cinnamon. The strong, yet great scent of farm-grown Wisconsin wheat is awesome!

T: The same as the nose, only more intimate. I'm truly amazed by the synergy of the wheat, fruit, and spices between this one, and it's younger brother "Crack'd Wheat."

M: Foaminess galore and in a superb way. My glass now looks like it went through a car wash without a rinse, and my mouth has been peppered with yeasty goodness! Somewhere in this thing, there is actually alcohol.

D: If you're in the mood for a great smooth Hefeweizen and wanting to make a whole night of off that venture, pop a few NG "Crack'd Wheats." However, if you want the same characteristics, want a tinge more body, and want to get your drinking done early, seek out this tasty brew.

Chaney, Oct 10, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to Sean for sending me a 6pk of a favorite of mine from NG !

I had already cracked a couple of these, but the one I just opened now started gushing when I opened it... hm... Well once it found its way into the glass, it was a hazy orangey-gold color with a firm 1 finger head in the tulip, filmy retention with some lace.

Just a huge powerful banana yeasty aroma as it poured and when I went in for the initial whiff. It's like a tangy spiced banana bread. Just great, with some of the typical herbal-clove as well.

The taste just as great, with nice tangy wheat character, crisp carbonation rolling over the tongue with some spritzy lemon zest, and great bready malt character throughout. Some sweeter fruitiness, and excellent potent yeastiness all the way through.

Even with all the times I've had this, I had forgotten it was 7.5% until I went to enter this review. It clearly has a bit more body and malting than your typical hefeweizen, but it is still on the same level of drinkability. A really great brew, though it is filling. Though, now that I think back, the first time I had this beer I also had the crack'd wheat within the same day or two span. I'm thinking I might've like the crack'd better but I will need to revisit that one as well for the final verdict. This is still an excellent brew all around and there aren't many american examples of this style that can match up.

Ineedabeerhere, Oct 01, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a medium-to-dark golden, light apricot body. Head is huge and white, foaming to about 2 1/2 fingers. Dense. Like whipped ice cream.

Spicy aroma for this one. Clove and faint ginger it seems. Banana also comes through, and a nice strong but light toasty biscuit.

Flavors aren't light here. Much malt gives this beer a strong foundation of cracker and bread. On top of that add the clove and banana, some sweetness that seems to attach itself to the banana, and faint hints at lemon and orange.

Mouthfeel takes a hit as the alcohol comes in to spoil, a bit, the spiciness. Drink takes an additional hit for this.
Very nice beer.

Mebuzzard, Sep 28, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Very cool to see a Hefeweizen that is higher up there in ABV. Dancing Man Wheat's color is a stunning golden orange, with just a touch of haze, and a quick to fade white head. Juicy fruits such as nectarines and clementines kick things off in the nose, followed by some clove and spice. The wheat shines through quite nicely as well. Lively carbonation accents the intense citrus flavors well, with a bit of chalky yeast towards the end. The body is medium overall, which works well with the amount of alcohol inside this beer. This one blurs the lines between Hefeweizen and pale Weizenbock. It is highly drinkable, but packed with flavor, and higher up there on the ABV scale. A completely unique beer we have here from the guys at New Glarus.

jamie2dope, Sep 27, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9%

Poured into my New Glarus Weizen glass. Huge fluffy white head. Cloudy golden yellow. Absolutely gorgeous!

Nose is amazing. Hugh banana. Tons of spice. Very inviting.

Lovely earthy banana and some clove is the taste. The wheat coats my tongue and leaves a subtle sweet aftertaste. Spiceness lingers.

I love the mouthfeel. Creamy with a dryness at the sametime. Carbonation is just right.

My favorite hefeweizen and maybe my favorite beer from New Glarus. Alcohol is very well hidden..until you finish your third one. This one has me jealous of Wisconsin. I will be back to Madison soon. And this time I'm coming back with more than a twelve pack.

chicano4craft, Sep 26, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Bad idea to pour it in the middle, nothing but... head. I guess that's why people use wheat to give homebrew head retention. So insanely creamy, it looks like melting ice cream, retains infinitely. Hazy golden yellow color. Insane coat of thick lace.

S- Extremely estery, smells like Wyeast Witbier yeast. Tons of banana, clove and buuubbble gum. The grainy malt/wheat stands strong behind this. So strong, over the top I would say.

T- A lot like the aroma but with a ton of citrus/fruit (apple, canteloupe, orange, lemon) and bread. Just a lot of everything, except hops. Lots of grainy malt. Tons of clove and yeast spice. Esters. Cinnamon.

MF- Very nice. Feels as creamy as the head looks, well almost. The carbonation is amazingly smooth. Slightly bitter.

DB- An interesting Hefeweizen. It has a lot of nice aspects and flavors but they are all so strong, the yeast went nuts here. I like it but I don't love it. I would have to say that this is one of the better American Hefeweizens but still nothing to die for. The apperance and mouthfeel carry the score here.

cbutova, Sep 23, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy medium honey amber with two fingers of creamy beige head.

Smell -- Banana, bubblegum, faint clove, and hefe earthiness dominate, along with honey malt and cracked wheat.

Taste -- Banana, clove, toasted honey malt, yeast, bright lemon, apple must, coriander, spicy wheat. Clove and spice become more prominent as the beer warms, with bubblegum and, to an extent, banana fading out for the most part.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with ample fluffy carbonation. Mildly drying finish.

Drinkability -- Quite a unique hefe. I can see the appeal definitely, but I guess I was expecting a little more. Still, a quality beer and a must try for hefe devotees.

yeahnatenelson, Sep 21, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Received this awesome extra from gungorr in our recent trade...

Pours a cloudy hazy golden orange with a huge thick fluffy head... The most beautiful looking hefe I've ever seen...

Surprisingly pungent aromas of spices and banana and wheaty yeast... Definite cloves and cinnamon with a big dose of wheat goodness... I'm actually surprised at how pungent this is... Amazing aromas...

Delicate wheat flavors are accented by the spiciness from the clove and cinnamon here... There's a wonderful tartness here that nakes this one suprebly refreshing... Man, it just tastes fresh and its definitely something I'd love to drink during the summer months... There's a citrusy aspect to this one as well that sets this one well apart from others in its class.. Amazingly crafted brew...

I'm wishing I could get this where I live... Its without a doubt the best hefe I've ever had and has me wishing I had another several bottles... Its amazing....

Tilley4, Sep 18, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Many thanks to biernutz for this one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon pilsner glass.

A: Gentle pour yields a 1.5 finger frothy white head with very good retention. Beer is a cloudy, muddy orange. Lacing is stringy and spotty but with little cling.

S: Outrageously aromatic and pungent. Orange rind, wheat, coriander, and other spices. Very sweet and robust and probably one of the most appetizing I've ever come across.

T: Opens with an orange rind tartness and big, in your face spices. Wheat in the middle with a slightly floral and accented spicy finish. Aftertaste is watery and wheaty.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated, lively but subtley deep and robust at the same time. This one is definitely bubbly but it has a noticeably big body to it. Finish is sharp and aftertaste lingers.

D: For a 7.2% abv. wheat beer, I can barely taste the alcohol. Supremely drinkable although the flavor does seem a bit watered down at points. Feel is great with a nice, well-rounded body. Definitely a great example of the style.

SpeedwayJim, Sep 18, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4%

A: Cloudy yellow-brown shade. Full white head, but retention is somewhat poor.

S: The banana and cloves really jump out of this one as well as any hefe I've smelled previously. Also a little sweetness with the malt and spice. Not sure how old this beer is, but it definitely smells fresh.

T: Lots of lemon and tartness up front, along with a heftly dose of cloves. Banana and yeast are there but less apparent. The citrus and spice flavors seem to dominate a little too much for my liking. Finish is long and carries the tartness through, ending with a slight alcohol burn.

M: Medium body is enjoyable, while the heavy carbonation adds an unwanted frothyness.

A good hefeweizen and a good beer, but not in the top tier of its style for me. I find this one a little heavy on the citrus and the alcohol and prefer Crack'd Wheat as NG's best hefeweizen.

GeezLynn, Sep 15, 2010

Aroma: (12/12)
Dancing Man Wheat is a Hefeweizen, the bottle states it is a "true Hefeweizen that is 100% bottle fermented". Just like the Hefe's in Germany I've had, the aroma is spot on with of banana and clove esters.

Appearance: (3/3)
A perfect straw color, hazy from the wheat and the bottling yeast. It poured very effervescently with bubbles racing to the top. A quick swirl brings back the head for a few minutes. Laces well.

Flavor: (19/20)
Oh, wow! The aroma brings me back to Germany with its spot-on aroma; the flavor does exactly the same. Great banana flavors, wheat malt present and there is a little tartness on the finish; perfect!

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
A nice medium body, as most Hefe's. As noted earlier, a little tartness on the back end, like true German Hefeweizens.

Overall Impression: (10/10)
This is by far the best American brewed Hefeweizen that I have ever had, not even close! Summit, Schell's, Flying Dog, Shiner and many others haven't even sniffed the level of perfection that New Glarus has created here! Brings me back to Munich!

TOTAL: 49/50

mnbrewery, Sep 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a bottle into a hefe glass. Good banana scent as soon as I opened the bottle.

A: Two fingers of golden head, collapsing fairly quickly to one lingering finger, leaving only slight lacing on the sides. Hazy, and just a tad dark. Actively effervescent. The fine bubbles form a creamy, stable head, expected with all that wheat-y, yeasty protein.

S: Banana, wheat, and yeast. I get a touch of clove, but very little of the cinnamon the bottle describes. Perhaps a bit of tart noble hops?

T: Solid. Wheat in good proportion, good but not overwhelming banana, and a hint of the clove, just like the nose. Mild, lingering bitterness. On the high end of boozy for the style, but otherwise almost frighteningly true to form.

M: Good chew from the wheat, and spot-on effervescence. Refreshing, but for a bit too much alcoholic heat.

D: Pretty high. This is New Glarus, after all. I would ding this beer for its alcohol content, but it is one of the better examples of the style if you're going for authenticity. A well-executed beer, if you're in the right mood, this will please almost as well as any true Bavarian. I wouldn't call it sessionable--but certainly very drinkable.

wschmit, Sep 13, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours with lots of foam that makes for a rocky, yeasty head which falls to a thin, loose layer of bubbles. Smells of banana, vanilla maybe a touch of clove. Tastes a bit of vanilla, some navel orange, caramel and then maybe even a touch of cantaloupe. Effervescent. Finishes somewhat tart at first but then sweet. Would prefer more of solidly tart finish. A touch too sweet for me. Quite drinkable given its alcohol content.

marcobrau, Sep 10, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

I bought a 6-pack of this at Woodman's in Janesville, WI in mid Summer 2010 for about $7.00.

This seasonal wheat beer from New Glarus brewery is superb. Pours a golden amber color with a thick head of foam that sticks around. Drinks very smooth and has a slight spice after taste. Dancing Man Wheat is far far from a whimpy tasting beer.

Lemke10, Aug 31, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Reviewed solo out of a pint glass.

Appearance: pours yellow and golden wheat, slightly cloudy. 1 1/2 fingers of froth white head.

Smell: I get a ton of Belgian yeast and wheat. I got some light grains.

Taste: opens with the classic Belgian yeast as light grains increase in intensity. Light malts and wheat profiles present themselves and compliment the solid open leaving a light and wheaty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light bodied with moderate carbonation, crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again. I recommend this to those seeking a solid hefe which is highly drinkable. It saddens me that I only brought two bottles back from WI. Another solid brew from New Glarus.

capra12, Aug 31, 2010

Picked up this single in a mix in match going through Prescott. There is a date on the bottle, not clear if its freshness or bottle, but its 7/28.

Off the pour the head is a billowing monster up to nearly 3 inches and I havnt poured the whole bottle.
Head settles rather quickly leaving a solid cap of retention. Color is a light copper golden. A small amount of haze in there.

Aroma is brilliant, caramel forward, grainy sweetness, plenty of lemon and a clove likeness.

Some sweet flavors upfront, drying out quick and dry on the finish. Floral hops, clove/ belgiany funk coming forward strong, as well as a bit of sourdough breadyness and a touch of malt.
Mild warmth through the swallow. Finishing tart with some lemon, warmth and banana.
Light and crisp mouthfeel.

A terrific brew for the style, although not somthing I'd seek out as its not my type of styled beer. However still a solid beer and excellent for the style.

Buebie, Aug 30, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Yellow-orange with one inch of dense and creamy white foam.

S - Somewhat muted aroma with an even balance of banana and clove.

T - Nice banana and clove esters with a slightly sour citrus tang. Sweet malty breadiness that becomes a little cloying. A tad boozy for my taste, and I can't decide whether the cinnamon flavor is a good touch.

M - Medium body, smooth and creamy. Good carbonation.

D - This is closer to weizenbock territory than hefeweizen. Alcohol is too high and while I do like a sweeter hefe, this is a bit much. Realistically, I can't drink more than one in a sitting.

trbergman, Aug 26, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5%

12oz bottle to pint glass.

App: Pours a very hazy yellow straw color. Good top covering head, dirty white color. Shows a bit of yellow through the middle.

Smell: Outstanding hefe smell, great notes of bananas, green apples, wheat, yeast, sourdough bread, a touch of clove.

Taste: Primarily bananas and apples, right where the smell leaves off. Has some nice wheat backing, a bit of cereal, and some clove. Has a great refreshing tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Not heavy on the carbonation, has a good rounded edge to it.

Drinkability: 7.5% ABV... you have to be kidding. I could drink this all day.

This is easily the best hefe, and maybe wheat based beer I've ever had. Must get more.

jslot38, Aug 26, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

poured out of a 12oz bottle into a reidel stemless red wine glass

pours with a big fluffy white delicious head a hazy yellow wheat/hay color

absolutely great smell coriander and other spices, fantastic and refeshing

great amazing taste lots of spices and tastiness. very nice with a little coriander, citrus and just general awesomeness

great mouth feel and very easy drinking absolutely great. top flight in the style.

psiweaver, Aug 25, 2010