Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros

A very good Hefe. It looks, smells, and tastes just like a hefe should. The clove is well blended with the banana, which I appreciate because I tend to like more banana-leaning hefes. The body/mouthfeel of the beer is excellent, slightly chewy but in a very refreshing way.

I wish I could pound multiples of these beers, like I feel hefes were really intended for, but unfortunately the ABV keeps that option at bay.

Still a knockout offering from NG.

12oz longneck
A) Pours with a big active white head. Unfiltered with a yellow-orange color.
S) Light notes of coriander, sweet orange peel, and hints of clove.
T) Pleasant wheat flavor - sweet citrus and earthy spice. Some citrus sour in the finish.
M) Chewy. On the lighter side of medium body.
O) A well craft beer. Easy drinking and pleasant tasting.

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

12 oz. poured into a weizen-esque glass on 07/21/2011. Bottle code 1531 = about month and a half old.

Pours golden with a big, creamy white colored head. Appropriately hazy. The head retention is average for the head size, but the lacing looks good. Smells very good --- complex, but refreshing. Bready sweet with notes of clove spice and perhaps lemon? Unmistakable cinnamon pops up soon enough. Very nice!

Refreshingly sweet, with ample fruitiness but unfortunately not a hint of tartness :/ Oddly, I find this beer more bitter at the back than I'd like a hefeweizen to be, and yet the finish is borderline cloying. Fault on two counts in my opinion. Yet, nothing is offensive about it and I will certainly deem it above average.

I am digging the feel of this beer. Although it seems to be on the heavier side of hefes, that's the way I like most of my beers. Carbonation is present but is not enough to tackle the residual sweetness.

Overall, a good hefeweizen and especially so when fresh. However, if I had to choose between US brewed hefes, I will take Kellerweiss over this one.

Note: Originally I had given this beer a 4/5 on the Overall; however, having checked the ABV, I have to slash it down to 2.5 (slightly below average). 7.2% ABV! Seriously?! Why? And yes, I WILL take Kellerweiss any day.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 3.5/5; Mouthfeel 4.5/5; Overall 2.5/5

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

The perfect brew for a 95 degree, garbage scented day in New York City. While everything around me smells like hot piss, this snifter serves as an oasis of cloves, cinnamon, banana cream, and yeasty bread. The drink is beautifully balanced and pleasant with more cloves and bananas, spices and an underlying roasty sour dough type breadiness on the backend. There is the perfect amount of tartness and a subtle but stern bitterness from the hops. Top notch by all measures. I could drink this thing for hours on a porch, no matter what the temperature.

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Served in my Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, murky, pale gold. Absolutely beautiful. Nice golden orange color that fades to a really lovely orange cream color on the sides. It almost looks like Pineapple-Orange-Banana juice. A quarter inch head on the pour that slowly recedes to a thin sheen. Nice lacing on the glass.

S: Mmmm, the banana and clove smells were detectable from two feet away. The aroma on this is luscious and strong, smelling it is an experience in and of itself. As I put the snifter to my nose, the aforementioned banana and clove smack me in the face, with their friends orange and peppercorn close behind. Smells fantastic.

T: I haven't reviewed many of these, but I can tell this is what a great hefe should taste like. Orange, cinnamon, clove with a surprisingly light, sweet finish on the mid. This tastes so darn good, with a lot of flavor and complexity while retaining the light, refreshing qualities I've come to love in this style. I might be crazy, but as this warmed I also picked up on pear notes.

M: Spot on. Well balanced flavors and the carbonation is just right. Refreshing while maintaining enough depth to be interesting.

O: This was my first beer from New Glarus and color me impressed. A truly special hefe-weizen that everyone should be so lucky to try. I imagine it would be as enjoyable on a hot summer day outside on the porch as it is on your couch during college football season. Excellent beer.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Brilliant hazy gold. I can't see my hand through the glass. Thick, dense, creamy head with exceptional lacing and retention. I don't think I've ever given a 5 on appearance before... but I can't find anything to knock this one for.

S - Sweet apples, cloves, bananas, dried grains. A bit spicy.

T - Hops come through a lot more than in the nose. Clove/banana flavors are paradoxically aggressive yet subtle, if that makes any sense (it doesn't). A bit nutty on the finish. There is a delightful hint of sweetness that is difficult to describe. Bananas linger on the back of the tongue long after the finish.

M - Sooo creamy! extremely smooth. New Glarus seems to always have perfect carbonation, and the dancing man is no exception.

O - I was expecting a solid B/B+ when I bought this beer, but it really surprised me. Excellent brew.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pours a hazy light golden color with a fluffy white head.

S: Yup, this smells like a hefe (and a good one at that)! Belgian yeast and banana dominate the aroma.

T: After the smell I thought this would just be your average hefe, but not quite. The 7.2% ABV, quite high for the style, gives this beer a different flavor than any other hefe I've had. Yes it's got that typical banana/yeast flavor, but this is a bit of a heftier beer than I'm used to in this style. It's maltier and not nearly as crisp or refreshing as your average hefe, but this all works very well.

M: Mouthfeel is a little heavier than your average hefe, but still on the light-bodied side of the spectrum and very carbonated.

O: This is a nice hefe, and one a little different from your average one, but I don't really see what all the fuss is about with this. It's a good beer, but not an outstanding one. This definitely is not on the same level as the Live Oak.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Globe glass.

A. Poured 3 finger head. Great retention. Good lacing. Color is a very nice cloudy golden yellow.

S. Yeast, citrus, banana, clove, sweet malt, has some sour notes going on. Has a bit of mustiness. Very great smelling wheat beer. Has a refreshing smell to it.

T. Citrus, clove, banana, pale malt, sweet and sour citrus at the same time. A lot of flavor going on with this one. The malt backbone holds up to it though.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Lingering malty sweetness.

O. A 7.2 hefeweizen that goes down so easy. This really is a great summer beer, that I wish was year round. Extremely drinkable and very flavorful. Stands up to some of the best hefes in not only the U.S. but also Germany. Great beers at a very reasonable price makes New Glarus an awesome brewery.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks go out to my beerboyfriend Mike on this one. I've been a little bit upset that despite all the creativity we've got in the beer brewing US of A, I still hadn't tasted a hefeweizen that could match up with that pesky German one that's been around for hundreds of years: Weinstephaner.

New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat can. Toe-to-toe. Or at least toe-to-toe-ish.

The appearance is downright lovely. Orange with a fluffy white head in my snifter and touches of lacing all over the glass. The head provides a thick smell to match the medium body of the beer itself. Feint notch of alcohol, but mostly citrus peel, cloves, and spices. It almost trends towards a Belgian saison, but there's no funk and less pepper. The taste is as smooth as it is complex. It begins with a bit of hops, and some pepper on the front of the tongue, continues with some citrus zesty pops, and finishes yeasty and unfiltered. Not totally clean or crisp, but certainly sweet and lively. The cloves and cinnamon on the label present themselves throughout, although the cinnamon isn't prominent.

This isn't a pound as you dance to the music beer. This is a 7.2% alcohol by volume sip on the porch beer so you can have your mid-afternoon buzz while doing yardwork. Just as filling as a big hefeweizen should be, it might even benefit from being a little smaller in a few senses of the word. But that said, I'm darn impressed. I've got 3 more of these, and they are going to be savored. Every last drop.

A's. And high-fives all around.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Great fluffy head. Opaque golden orange color - looks the part.

S - Banana and clove, spicyness. Lacks that lemon/orange peel crap that ruins most of the American "hefeweizens" I've tried.

T - Like the smell; tastes like a true hefe. Probably would have been a 5 for this if I liked the style more.

M - Medium-bodied and very smooth. Love it.

O - While it's not my favorite beer, I think it nails the style. Wish I did love hefes more, because this beer is awesome.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to seeswo for helping me out with the no rules farm team BIF while also adding some beers to my own on-deck circle, such as this one.

a - opened the bottle and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip. beer poured a fairly murky yellow stream which settled as a dense almost light orange with a very generous frothy bubbly head. easy over 2 fingers and didn't even pour half the bottle out. what you'd expect from a hefe.

s - wonderful citric notes married with fresh orange. some clove, almost saison without any of the grassiness you'd associate with a classic saison. nice sweetness, very appetizing. oodles of orange peel. little banana.

t - this is a damn tasty beer. possibly one of the better summer beers i've had. good balls on a citric/orange peel brew. an easy one for anyone to enjoy, weather male, female, or used to macros.

m - smooth, crisp...well carbonated.

o - what a great beer. i do get the praise that this one receives. however, this is not the kind of beer that i could have over and over again in a night, but it is a beer that is a welcome one off no matter what i've been drinking. very impressive. really tasty for a hefe. nice, hidden abv taboot!

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker.

Pours a beautiful cloudy golden color with about a one finger head and little lacing.

Smells like a good hefeweizen, with banana and clove with a hint of cinnamon in there too.

Wow, this is a good hefeweizen. Everything from the smell shines through in the taste. Wheat, banana, subtle cinnamon and the spicy clove taste kind of lingers in your mouth. Maybe its the clove, but I also get a subtle mint after flavor, which complements the beer nicely.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Thought it might be a little too carbonated from looking at it, but the carbonation is perfect. Perfectly medium bodied as well.

Overall this is one of, if not, the best hefeweizens out there. This definitely would compete with Weihenstephaner. I really like the cinnamon taste in there, it really adds to the beer, and perfectly complements it. Could drink this beer all night. Can't believe this is 7.2% ABV. Drinks like 4% ABV.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle into a stange

A - Pours a hazy yellow-orange with a huge pillowy head of off white foam. Minimal lacing

S - Banana, cloves, yeast, wheat

T - Right along the lines of the nose. Its actually a pretty pleasant tasting hefe. Not overpowering in any aspect.

M - My favorite aspect of this one. Medium bodied and oh so smooth. Has a very crisp finish too. Really enjoy the feel here.

O - I'm not a hefe fan so for me to enjoy one this much it must be a good one. Really enjoyed this one and can see mixing this into the rotation here and there

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: hazy golden yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: bananas, clove, citrus, yeast,

taste: bananas, clove, citrus,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a very nice representation of a hefeweizen. glad I finally got to try it and enjoyed it very much.

cheers,
The CPJ

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Pours a very cloudy yellow color with medium carbonation with a great head retention and lacing.

S - Great smell overall. Banana and cloves shine through in the foreground with some wheat malts coming through the back.

T - The taste matches the smell, with banana, cloves, and wheat dominating. Easily one of my favorite hefes. It is refreshing and fairly light tasting for having 7.2% ABV. Great flavor throughout the taste and just an amazing beer overall. I love the balance and none of the notes are overpowering.

M - Well-carbonated and easy to drink.

O - Truly an outstanding beer. Just a great classic taste with the flavor profile that is light and balanced and very full flavored. The ABV is totally masked as this beer is highly drinkable and very outstanding. Probably my favorite American version of a hefe. I would expect nothing else from New Glarus.

3.2/5  rDev -24%

Appearance: It pours orange in color with well over an inch of fluffy white head. It is very hazy as a wheat beer should be.4
Smell: It is nothing but cloves in the aroma almost over powering with the first sniff.3
Taste: Cloves, banana, and cinnamon are the dominant flavors. I am guessing they were going for hefeweizen style wheat. Wow that is a lot of clove.3
Mouthfeel: The beer flows nicely around the palate easy drinking a good beer for a warm summer day.3.5

A- Pours a nice hazy orange color with a nice 2 finger head

S- has the smell of yeast and cloves and spices

T- has a nice spicey clove taste up front then has some citrus and wheat in the middle and ends with a nice tingley carbonation

M-Light bodied with good carboantion

D-overall after figuring out that this was not a wheat beer as i thought it would be by the name. I was very pleased. As Hefe's are not usally my fav style but i enjoyed this one very much and would like to purchase it again next time im in WI. give this beer a try!

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to a great BA for the hook-up! Poured in to a pint glass. Pale yellow/orange, nice medium head. The taste is great here, we all know the banana, bubble gum and cloves but I get some orange zest which fades into a slight alchohl burn at the end (which belies the 7.2%). This is a very good beer to drink and since I just got into the style I really lucked in to a nice acquisition!

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured in to a pint glass from a 12oz bottle

A: Hazy,orangy gold color. Pours a finger size head that disapated but lasted the entire glass.

S: Smells of cloves, spices, maybe bananas. Nice fragrance.

T: Clove, wheat and some citrus. Great taste.

M: Creamy feel, but not overdone. Mild carbonation.

O: This is a good hefe, one of my favorites. Very happy that Wisco is only 45 minutes away.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Pours a hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is bananas, cloves and wheat. The flavor is more of the same. The banana component of the flavor stands out the most, but the cloves and wheat are also present and keep the beer from being sweet and syrupy. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I think this is one of the best American-brewed hefeweizen I've ever had!

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A- very creamy foam head that rises above the rim of the glass nearly 2 fingers. Color is a hazy straw color that looks very inviting.

S- nose gives off scent of several spices, primarily cloves with a little pepper mixed in. You get a little of the banana & citrus after the spice. Very nice.

T- bananas and citrus are stronger here, the spices take a back seat. It has a very nice balance between a slight sweetness and the spiciness. It's on the sweeter side of the hefes I've tried.

M- very nicely carbonated, actually tastes quite refreshing. Nowhere in this brew have I noticed the 7+% abv, so this feels very drinkable. Feel is somewhat creamy like the head was, but there is enough carbonation there to make it excellent.

O- I have to figure out more ways to get this... hmmm.... move to Wisconsin? I'd consider it. This brew was greater than the sum of it's parts, the taste is right up there, the spiciness, banana flavor, and refreshing taste make this a standout, in the style or on it's own.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a Weizen glass. Thanks to Franz4 for working the underground beer mule network to obtain this for me.

A- Slightly hazy straw/orange. Pours with massive 3+ fingers of effervescing off-white head, which fades gradually into a thin cap. Small amount of lacing.

S- Banana, cloves, zesty spices, and yeasty, bready goodness.

T- Cloves and spices...wheat and yeast....a solid lemon-zesty-twang, and a fairly strong banana sweetness on the finish. Bitterness low, sweetness moderate to slightly high. A very tasty hefe. No indication of alcohol despite it's hefe-hefty 7.2% ABV.

M- Moderate to slightly high carbonation and a medium full feel.

O- Very Good. Tasty and very easy drinking...could easily consume multiples.

Future outlook: Meh....another "can't easily get here / out-of-stater" that I'm more than happy to have tried.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Date: 05/25/2011
Type: 12oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2011
Glass: DFH Chalice

Poured a hazy golden straw in color w/ a 1 finger white head that produces a nice sticky lacing. Aromas of fresh bread, orange peel, and cinnamon. The taste was obviously a blast of wheat up front, which transitions into a citrus fruit wave, and finishes w/ cinnamon. Medium bodied and very lush. Finishes pretty clean. This very refreshing brew is extremely sessionable w/ well hidden ABV.

Overall, awesome wheat beer! I cannot believe this is the first time I have had the pleasure of sampling this brew, will not be the last now that I have the taste.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks Seeswo for bringing a bottle of this down for me.

Pours a hazy yellow orange. Very pretty. A bunch of white head. Smells wheaty with lots of banana on the nose. A really solid yeasty presence on the nose as well. The taste profile is a bit banana-centric as well but that's the joy of the hefe. Great wheat and yeast on the tongue. I like Live Oak better but this is certainly a solid brew. Thick and heavy but well carbonated. Overall very good drinker

A: Murky orange body with a small white head; no lacing.

S: Smells a little funky and I'm a little worry about the taste. I am getting SOME banana, wheat, and cloves though.

T: So glad it taste better then it smells. Getting nutmeg, banana, clove, wheat, and lemon zest. Nice mixture of flavors.

M: Light body; loads of carbonation; clean and tingling mouthfeel.

O: Was a little worried with the smell, but put that aside and it's a great beer. I would like to get this again, perhaps fresher, but nice representative of the style. Could drink 4-5 of these over the course of a summer evening.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company