Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +4%

A - deep yellow, light orange haze, big 2 finger head with terrific lacing webbing in the glass.

S - clean, clove, wheat, bananas, terrific aroma.

T: clove, wheat, goes down smooth, slight bitter finish but it is balanced really well.

M: medium body, light prickly tongue from carbonation. very refreshing beer.

D - Truly divine! My favorite New Glarus offering and I was sad when my beer was gone. Definitely seek this out.

Poured a murky golden orange in color with yellow highlights that had a 2 finger head which dissipated quite fast and left some frothy lacing sticking to the glass. The coriander is very apparent in the nose with banana, slight spice, and belgian yeast notes. The coriander and the banana flavor mesh really well alongside belgian yeasty and wheat grain accents. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, spice, slight fruity , yeasty, and grainy finish. It drank good and was a solid hefeweizen with all the characteristics I look for in a hef.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Poured a hazy light amber in color, topped by a very ample 3 finger off-white head. Very nice head retention and excellent lacing. It took a while for me to pour the whole beer in the glass, the head didn't seem to want me to.

S - Very aromatic, clove and banana all up in my nostrils!

T & M - A big wheat body carries that same clove and banana I smelled in the aroma. There is also some citric fruit in the balance, it seems to be a cross between orange and lemon zest. This brew is medium bodied with a bit of tingly carbonation on the back end. The 7.2% ABV is surprisingly well hidden!

D - This is one of the better Hefeweizens' produced in the world today! You would think for a South German brew, you would not have a WI brewery setting the bar this high. A perfect example of the style, and one that is dangerously drinkable. I could stock this all year 'round.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

received in trade from woosterbill....thanks c'ptain

A - I'm not partial to the style, but this is a beauty. Nice fluffy white head, plenty of bubbles shooting up. light lacing attempts to cling to the glass.

S - Huge nose, especially for the style. Big wheat smells, backed up by some fruits. Fruits come through more and more as I smell it. Let's see if the taste matches up.

T - It's not quite as impressive as the head, lighter fruit notes. Mostly this tastes similar to other wheats I've sampled. Maybe more so of a lot of tastes. This score is probably tempered, because I've never loved the style.

M - Perfect for the style.

D - Good. I'd def. recommend to fans of wheat beers, and may even be persuaded to seek it out again if I ever make it out to WI.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

big thanks to BanditBrewingCo for this one.

poured cold from the bottle a cloudy sunlight honey gold to a sun king shaped pint with a huge 2+ finger frothy long lasting white head with serious retention.

spicy aroma of clove, citrus peel and ripe banana.

yeasty, sweet with a subtle tangy bite. banana, butterscotch candy sweet. unexpectedly hot after.

full bodied, highly carbonated, sweet.

drinkable - yes indeed.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

a - poured a four-fingers thick fluffy off-white head that settles to a thick sheet and good lacing throughout. the body was a bubbly and hazy straw gold color.
s - lemons, clove, bread, wheat, some sweet spices. this is such a complex hefe.
t - wheat, lemon, spices.
m - bubbly carbonation yet smooth.
d - highly drinkable. this beer is almost impeccable.

12 oz pour into a pint glass. Here we go:

A - hazy golden/yellow color with pretty massive head. Plenty of carbonation in this one.

S - Clove and spice

T - Tart flavor with spices, ginger and cinnamon dominate.

M - A little fizzy...sounds tacky, but it feels like it's dancing in my mouth

D - Goes down real well, abv a little high to be able to session, but I could go for another.

Another fine brew from New Glarus.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks a bunch to MilwaukeeCrusher for this!

Pours a hazy, light golden with 3 fingers of glorious white head that clings to the sides of the glass and slowly fades.  Smells yeasty, some banana and spices, slight lemon, smells really good.  From the first sip I was a fan, I taste banana, some yeast, slight spices and a nice, quick peppery finish.  Delicious!  Mouthfeel is great and drinkability is out of this world.  Another New Glarus hit for me, I really wish they'd distribute to Indiana.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a contoured pint glass 11/20/10. This is a beer I've been curious to try but might never have traded for it if it didn't show up as an extra. Thanks Joe.

Forms a very large foamy white head atop a moderately hazy orange body. Head leaves splotches of lace as it settles. Carbonation appears very active.

Aroma is intensely estery with rich banana notes. Can't recall another American wheat beer that smells this much like it's German counter part. The fruitiness is anchored in place by some spice and very subtle herbal hops.

Flavor is much more muted than the smell but still very pleasant. A slight citric quality joins the banana characteristics along with some earthy and more spice notes than anticipated. Actually evokes cinnamon and maybe a little cardamom.

Maybe it's a function of getting a satisfying Hefeweizen when I expected an American Pale Wheat (I didn't realize what style this beer was until I uploaded my notes) but I really enjoyed this beer a great deal.

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a hazy gold yellow color with a typically large hefeweizen head.

Aroma contains clove, cinnamon, and vanilla balanced with a great amount of twangy wheat malt. It's full and potent, but feels like it could be just a touch fresher.

Flavor has a large amount of wheaty twang with a slightly buttery flavor. Wheat and bread flavors come through as well as a touch of medicinal wheat on the finish. This beer is close to being really good, but it has a few flaws. It's high ABV makes it a little cloying, but I like the increased potency of the nose.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to two generous BAs for bottles of this beer: Elric73 and BeerFMAndy. Thanks guys!

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours a dark, über-cloudy gold. A thick, lustrous 3-finger head capped it off. Excellent retention; left light lace. Scents of pineapple, banana, bubblegum, yeast, coriander. Wow! Great nose! The mouth is moderately-carbonated, with a subtle bite on the finish. Moderate-to-full body. The fruity quality carries over well in to the flavor. Notes of yeast, pineapple, some mild breads, and faint spices. Well-balanced. This was a treat of a beer. Even "out of season" this would be a great, refreshing beer. Thanks again for the opportunity, fellow BAs...

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Apparently my 1300th review. Clearly I'm paying attention. I'll make #2000 a really badass significant beer. I'll figure out what that is.

Came to me in a BIF, which is fun because it was a want. Poured from a bottle into a RR wine glass. Beer is yellow and hazy with a big soft white head of small bubbles, high carbonation and lots of lacing on the glass. This is what a hefe is suppose to look like.

Strong banana esters and mild yeast in the nose. Some grain as well, smells good.

Beer is light in body and wet all around. Tastes really nice, its refreshing, decent carbonation on the palate and overall a well balanced hefe. The fruit is not overwhelming at all, its well inserted into the palate. Mild grainy aftertaste, otherwise this is a great hefe. I would definitely have it again. It does slightly annoy me that this beer is greater than 7%, should be more around 5%.

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

Review from my massive backlog, from early July 2010. I wish I had a more intricate tick, as I (obviously) think the world of this brew. I will elaborate next time I have the pleasure to crush a few of these.

Purchased at the brewery. Enjoyed at the farm in Monroe, WI.

A - It pours a beautiful hazy honey-gold hue, capped generous off-white foam. It is pretty much exactly what the style is supposed to look like.

S - The nose is replete with the classic notes of the style, and then some. Tropical, melon and kiwi notes mingle with the traditional bread and banana impressions. This stuff smells amazing: It is subtly sweet, complex, fruity, and substantial.

T - Besides the notion that this brew hits every stylistic checkpoint dead-on, my first impression is that of a huge banana muffin flavor. I am also getting some other delicious and delectably fruity notes, including various melon nuances as well as that of wild berries. This is outstanding stuff, without a doubt. The sweetness is just enough to facilitate a wealth of gustatory delights, the complex fruitiness in flavor and aroma is quite uncommon, and the substantive nature of the overall brew is truly satiating.

M - As with the other aspects of this brew, it is as good as it gets. The brew feels rich and velvety and is everything I could ask for.

D - This is not only the best beer of the style I have had, and the best New Glarus beer I have had; it reaches those milestones by a Secretariat-like margin.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

A - Slightly hazy golden beer with a fluffy, but fleeting foam crop of head. Very nice looking beer, that is just ever so slightly hazy. Quite lively carbonation long after the head has dispersed itself into a coaster.

S - Great hefeweizen smell. Bubblegum and Banana come through with a slight astringent note in the background. This one begs you to take a hearty swig...

T - WOW. This is what a Hefe is supposed to taste like! Although present, the bananas and bubblegum aren't as up front in the taste as they are the nose, but the slight cinnamon note mixed with the Clove presence in the finish really make this beer shine. Impeccable balance of yeast, clove, and classic banana notes on the finish. No mustiness to be found. Simply put, this is just a clean, crisp, and fantastic wheat beer.

M - A bit more thin than other Hefeweizens out there, but it does not adversely affect the experience.

D - Incredibly drinkable, especially for the ABV. So drinkable in fact, that I have purchased every 6 pack of this stuff that I have come across left over from this years run. Undoubtedly one of my favorite beers, and another World Class offering from Dan and Deb @ New Glarus!

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Appears a really hazy light copper color, with a good bit of bubbles rising up. Bright white head tops things off, about two fingers width. Very good retention, with pretty good lacing for the style.

Lots to pick up in the smell, anything from banana to bubble gum, apricot, hints of clove, cinnamon, cardamom, and black pepper. Light bready malts interweave nicely.

Taste is more of the same, a good deal of apricot, peach and banana fruityness. A good deal more clove on the palate than the nose, and some residual strawberry on the swallow which may point to a little bit of flavor contribution from the alcohol.

I like the feel, less spritzy than I would have imagined, nice and soft, almost creamy at first, then feels a little more lively and has quite a nice medium body. Finishes fairly dry.

Drinks relatively well for its strength. I didn't actually realize it was over 7% until I started reviewing it on here and noticed the strength. It's quite a contemplative beer for the style, which is a good thing, but it's not something I would consider thirst quenching. Overall I really enjoyed this, thanks for sending it out this way Kegatron.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of a friend (thanks Larry!) who recently made a trip to Wisconsin. Poured into a tulip type glass.

A: Hazy, golden yellow color with a foamy white head that sticks around a bit.

S: Cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon notes in the aroma.

T: Bananas and apples taste punctuate the grassy wheat flavor of the beer along with the spicy clove and nutmeg flavors in the aroma.

M: Lite bodied, lots of carbonation, very creamy and delicious mouthfeel.

D: Extremely light, refreshing and delicious. The only thing that makes this beer not even more drinkable is it's lack of availability where I live!.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. This is one I have been wanting to try.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is bananas, cloves and wheat. The flavor is more of the same. The banana component of the flavor stands out the most, but the cloves and wheat are also present and keep the beer from being sweet and syrupy. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

An excellent hefeweizen, one of the best I have had.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for the bottle

A: Slightly hazy golden straw color with two fingers of billowy white head. Excellent head retention.

S: The banana and clove hit you right off the bat. You do get some sweetness from the wheat as well.The smell is kind of one dimensional but it is a perfect one for the style.

T: Not quite up there with Live Oak but close. The esters are running the show but there is a nice milkiness that the best examples of the style have IMO. Nice sweetness. The finish lingers leaving you wanting more.

M: Slightly sticky. Medium body. Well carbonated.

D: A super enjoyable and easy drinking beer. One of the better examples of the style I have ever had. Excellent beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

This was the most incredible smelling Hefeweiezn I've ever had, no doubt see this out. HUGE thanks to Gonzoillini to throw this in as an EXTRA, thanks Tony.

Notes in the aroma and flavor profiles: Banana, sweetened coconut, piña colada, bazooka bubbleum, banana laffy taffy, tropical fruit snow cone.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

A solid, but not overly aggressive pour gets a bit away from me such that I end up with four-fingers of light tan froth that I have to suck the top off of to keep from over-flowing my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip. The head only subsides slowly, leaves quite a bit lacing on the sides of my glass and never fully dissapears. The beer is a fuller amber color that shows a hazed, gold-amber hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells amply fruity with notes of banana, sweet accentuating clove, some lime sorbet notes, perhaps some apple like notes, interesting wheat malt notes and a finish that reminds me of concord grape juice some how.

Slightly full bodied up front, but the finish sees a nice tartness become noticeable that helps to lighten up the finish of this beer quite a bit. Up front flavors of banana are coupled with the classic note of clove that lingers in the finish. The tartness in the finish brings out some flavors of apple in the finish, perhaps even a hint of citrus or lime that is more from the yeast and wheat than from hops. Hops actually aren't really a contributor here, which is as it should be, though there is a soft bitterness that is accentuated by a peppy carbonic effervescence and bite. This definitely has the fullness that I like to find in a good Hefeweizen, but it is also quite a bit stronger than a traditional example, so it should be.

I will admit to wanting to be blown away by this beer, so much so that I was quite critical of the first bottle of this that I had. This second bottle has settled in a bit better, but I have still had better examples. This one is quite good though; and this might not be as fresh as the best that I have had. In the end this is a nicely satisfying Hefewiezen; too soon I find my glass empty and I am wanting for more.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of a74gent...served in a tall flute/hefe glass

A - gentle pour yields over an inch of very creamy, tight and puffy white foam. the beer is hazy, bright gold in color. sticky spotty lacing left behind, as the head remains through most of the drink.

S - banana, apples, some bubblegum for sweetness, slightly spicy clove and cinnamon. almost a bit vinegary and acidic towards the end. other notes of honeyed biscuits and ginger.

T - starts off on the sweet side, heavy on the banana and apple skins. bits of lemon and orange peel creep in, paired with some clove and cinnamon. finishes with just a slightly sour lemon twang. great balance, just about at that sweet spot for the style.

M - medium body with tight, punchy, effervescent carbonation - very active in the mouth. slightly sticky, yet creamy at the same time, coating the mouth with both sweet and spice.

D - this is a +7% beer? not detectable at all. enjoyable from first look to the final swallow. great balance between fresh fruit, spice, and yeasty flavors. going down as one of my favorite Hefe's comparable to any of the more authentic German offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sending me this beer, along with many, many other awesome Wisconsin brews.

A: Massive yeasty pour, very cloudy gold color, and head the size of Wisconsin.

S: Banana, cloves, citrus, and cinnamon. The strong, yet great scent of farm-grown Wisconsin wheat is awesome!

T: The same as the nose, only more intimate. I'm truly amazed by the synergy of the wheat, fruit, and spices between this one, and it's younger brother "Crack'd Wheat."

M: Foaminess galore and in a superb way. My glass now looks like it went through a car wash without a rinse, and my mouth has been peppered with yeasty goodness! Somewhere in this thing, there is actually alcohol.

D: If you're in the mood for a great smooth Hefeweizen and wanting to make a whole night of off that venture, pop a few NG "Crack'd Wheats." However, if you want the same characteristics, want a tinge more body, and want to get your drinking done early, seek out this tasty brew.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to Sean for sending me a 6pk of a favorite of mine from NG !

I had already cracked a couple of these, but the one I just opened now started gushing when I opened it... hm... Well once it found its way into the glass, it was a hazy orangey-gold color with a firm 1 finger head in the tulip, filmy retention with some lace.

Just a huge powerful banana yeasty aroma as it poured and when I went in for the initial whiff. It's like a tangy spiced banana bread. Just great, with some of the typical herbal-clove as well.

The taste just as great, with nice tangy wheat character, crisp carbonation rolling over the tongue with some spritzy lemon zest, and great bready malt character throughout. Some sweeter fruitiness, and excellent potent yeastiness all the way through.

Even with all the times I've had this, I had forgotten it was 7.5% until I went to enter this review. It clearly has a bit more body and malting than your typical hefeweizen, but it is still on the same level of drinkability. A really great brew, though it is filling. Though, now that I think back, the first time I had this beer I also had the crack'd wheat within the same day or two span. I'm thinking I might've like the crack'd better but I will need to revisit that one as well for the final verdict. This is still an excellent brew all around and there aren't many american examples of this style that can match up.

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium-to-dark golden, light apricot body. Head is huge and white, foaming to about 2 1/2 fingers. Dense. Like whipped ice cream.

Spicy aroma for this one. Clove and faint ginger it seems. Banana also comes through, and a nice strong but light toasty biscuit.

Flavors aren't light here. Much malt gives this beer a strong foundation of cracker and bread. On top of that add the clove and banana, some sweetness that seems to attach itself to the banana, and faint hints at lemon and orange.

Mouthfeel takes a hit as the alcohol comes in to spoil, a bit, the spiciness. Drink takes an additional hit for this.
Very nice beer.