Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to two generous BAs for bottles of this beer: Elric73 and BeerFMAndy. Thanks guys!

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours a dark, über-cloudy gold. A thick, lustrous 3-finger head capped it off. Excellent retention; left light lace. Scents of pineapple, banana, bubblegum, yeast, coriander. Wow! Great nose! The mouth is moderately-carbonated, with a subtle bite on the finish. Moderate-to-full body. The fruity quality carries over well in to the flavor. Notes of yeast, pineapple, some mild breads, and faint spices. Well-balanced. This was a treat of a beer. Even "out of season" this would be a great, refreshing beer. Thanks again for the opportunity, fellow BAs...

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Apparently my 1300th review. Clearly I'm paying attention. I'll make #2000 a really badass significant beer. I'll figure out what that is.

Came to me in a BIF, which is fun because it was a want. Poured from a bottle into a RR wine glass. Beer is yellow and hazy with a big soft white head of small bubbles, high carbonation and lots of lacing on the glass. This is what a hefe is suppose to look like.

Strong banana esters and mild yeast in the nose. Some grain as well, smells good.

Beer is light in body and wet all around. Tastes really nice, its refreshing, decent carbonation on the palate and overall a well balanced hefe. The fruit is not overwhelming at all, its well inserted into the palate. Mild grainy aftertaste, otherwise this is a great hefe. I would definitely have it again. It does slightly annoy me that this beer is greater than 7%, should be more around 5%.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Review from my massive backlog, from early July 2010. I wish I had a more intricate tick, as I (obviously) think the world of this brew. I will elaborate next time I have the pleasure to crush a few of these.

Purchased at the brewery. Enjoyed at the farm in Monroe, WI.

A - It pours a beautiful hazy honey-gold hue, capped generous off-white foam. It is pretty much exactly what the style is supposed to look like.

S - The nose is replete with the classic notes of the style, and then some. Tropical, melon and kiwi notes mingle with the traditional bread and banana impressions. This stuff smells amazing: It is subtly sweet, complex, fruity, and substantial.

T - Besides the notion that this brew hits every stylistic checkpoint dead-on, my first impression is that of a huge banana muffin flavor. I am also getting some other delicious and delectably fruity notes, including various melon nuances as well as that of wild berries. This is outstanding stuff, without a doubt. The sweetness is just enough to facilitate a wealth of gustatory delights, the complex fruitiness in flavor and aroma is quite uncommon, and the substantive nature of the overall brew is truly satiating.

M - As with the other aspects of this brew, it is as good as it gets. The brew feels rich and velvety and is everything I could ask for.

D - This is not only the best beer of the style I have had, and the best New Glarus beer I have had; it reaches those milestones by a Secretariat-like margin.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

A - Slightly hazy golden beer with a fluffy, but fleeting foam crop of head. Very nice looking beer, that is just ever so slightly hazy. Quite lively carbonation long after the head has dispersed itself into a coaster.

S - Great hefeweizen smell. Bubblegum and Banana come through with a slight astringent note in the background. This one begs you to take a hearty swig...

T - WOW. This is what a Hefe is supposed to taste like! Although present, the bananas and bubblegum aren't as up front in the taste as they are the nose, but the slight cinnamon note mixed with the Clove presence in the finish really make this beer shine. Impeccable balance of yeast, clove, and classic banana notes on the finish. No mustiness to be found. Simply put, this is just a clean, crisp, and fantastic wheat beer.

M - A bit more thin than other Hefeweizens out there, but it does not adversely affect the experience.

D - Incredibly drinkable, especially for the ABV. So drinkable in fact, that I have purchased every 6 pack of this stuff that I have come across left over from this years run. Undoubtedly one of my favorite beers, and another World Class offering from Dan and Deb @ New Glarus!

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Appears a really hazy light copper color, with a good bit of bubbles rising up. Bright white head tops things off, about two fingers width. Very good retention, with pretty good lacing for the style.

Lots to pick up in the smell, anything from banana to bubble gum, apricot, hints of clove, cinnamon, cardamom, and black pepper. Light bready malts interweave nicely.

Taste is more of the same, a good deal of apricot, peach and banana fruityness. A good deal more clove on the palate than the nose, and some residual strawberry on the swallow which may point to a little bit of flavor contribution from the alcohol.

I like the feel, less spritzy than I would have imagined, nice and soft, almost creamy at first, then feels a little more lively and has quite a nice medium body. Finishes fairly dry.

Drinks relatively well for its strength. I didn't actually realize it was over 7% until I started reviewing it on here and noticed the strength. It's quite a contemplative beer for the style, which is a good thing, but it's not something I would consider thirst quenching. Overall I really enjoyed this, thanks for sending it out this way Kegatron.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of a friend (thanks Larry!) who recently made a trip to Wisconsin. Poured into a tulip type glass.

A: Hazy, golden yellow color with a foamy white head that sticks around a bit.

S: Cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon notes in the aroma.

T: Bananas and apples taste punctuate the grassy wheat flavor of the beer along with the spicy clove and nutmeg flavors in the aroma.

M: Lite bodied, lots of carbonation, very creamy and delicious mouthfeel.

D: Extremely light, refreshing and delicious. The only thing that makes this beer not even more drinkable is it's lack of availability where I live!.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. This is one I have been wanting to try.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is bananas, cloves and wheat. The flavor is more of the same. The banana component of the flavor stands out the most, but the cloves and wheat are also present and keep the beer from being sweet and syrupy. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

An excellent hefeweizen, one of the best I have had.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to mikesgroove for the bottle

A: Slightly hazy golden straw color with two fingers of billowy white head. Excellent head retention.

S: The banana and clove hit you right off the bat. You do get some sweetness from the wheat as well.The smell is kind of one dimensional but it is a perfect one for the style.

T: Not quite up there with Live Oak but close. The esters are running the show but there is a nice milkiness that the best examples of the style have IMO. Nice sweetness. The finish lingers leaving you wanting more.

M: Slightly sticky. Medium body. Well carbonated.

D: A super enjoyable and easy drinking beer. One of the better examples of the style I have ever had. Excellent beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

This was the most incredible smelling Hefeweiezn I've ever had, no doubt see this out. HUGE thanks to Gonzoillini to throw this in as an EXTRA, thanks Tony.

Notes in the aroma and flavor profiles: Banana, sweetened coconut, piña colada, bazooka bubbleum, banana laffy taffy, tropical fruit snow cone.

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%

A solid, but not overly aggressive pour gets a bit away from me such that I end up with four-fingers of light tan froth that I have to suck the top off of to keep from over-flowing my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip. The head only subsides slowly, leaves quite a bit lacing on the sides of my glass and never fully dissapears. The beer is a fuller amber color that shows a hazed, gold-amber hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells amply fruity with notes of banana, sweet accentuating clove, some lime sorbet notes, perhaps some apple like notes, interesting wheat malt notes and a finish that reminds me of concord grape juice some how.

Slightly full bodied up front, but the finish sees a nice tartness become noticeable that helps to lighten up the finish of this beer quite a bit. Up front flavors of banana are coupled with the classic note of clove that lingers in the finish. The tartness in the finish brings out some flavors of apple in the finish, perhaps even a hint of citrus or lime that is more from the yeast and wheat than from hops. Hops actually aren't really a contributor here, which is as it should be, though there is a soft bitterness that is accentuated by a peppy carbonic effervescence and bite. This definitely has the fullness that I like to find in a good Hefeweizen, but it is also quite a bit stronger than a traditional example, so it should be.

I will admit to wanting to be blown away by this beer, so much so that I was quite critical of the first bottle of this that I had. This second bottle has settled in a bit better, but I have still had better examples. This one is quite good though; and this might not be as fresh as the best that I have had. In the end this is a nicely satisfying Hefewiezen; too soon I find my glass empty and I am wanting for more.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of a74gent...served in a tall flute/hefe glass

A - gentle pour yields over an inch of very creamy, tight and puffy white foam. the beer is hazy, bright gold in color. sticky spotty lacing left behind, as the head remains through most of the drink.

S - banana, apples, some bubblegum for sweetness, slightly spicy clove and cinnamon. almost a bit vinegary and acidic towards the end. other notes of honeyed biscuits and ginger.

T - starts off on the sweet side, heavy on the banana and apple skins. bits of lemon and orange peel creep in, paired with some clove and cinnamon. finishes with just a slightly sour lemon twang. great balance, just about at that sweet spot for the style.

M - medium body with tight, punchy, effervescent carbonation - very active in the mouth. slightly sticky, yet creamy at the same time, coating the mouth with both sweet and spice.

D - this is a +7% beer? not detectable at all. enjoyable from first look to the final swallow. great balance between fresh fruit, spice, and yeasty flavors. going down as one of my favorite Hefe's comparable to any of the more authentic German offerings.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sending me this beer, along with many, many other awesome Wisconsin brews.

A: Massive yeasty pour, very cloudy gold color, and head the size of Wisconsin.

S: Banana, cloves, citrus, and cinnamon. The strong, yet great scent of farm-grown Wisconsin wheat is awesome!

T: The same as the nose, only more intimate. I'm truly amazed by the synergy of the wheat, fruit, and spices between this one, and it's younger brother "Crack'd Wheat."

M: Foaminess galore and in a superb way. My glass now looks like it went through a car wash without a rinse, and my mouth has been peppered with yeasty goodness! Somewhere in this thing, there is actually alcohol.

D: If you're in the mood for a great smooth Hefeweizen and wanting to make a whole night of off that venture, pop a few NG "Crack'd Wheats." However, if you want the same characteristics, want a tinge more body, and want to get your drinking done early, seek out this tasty brew.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Sean for sending me a 6pk of a favorite of mine from NG !

I had already cracked a couple of these, but the one I just opened now started gushing when I opened it... hm... Well once it found its way into the glass, it was a hazy orangey-gold color with a firm 1 finger head in the tulip, filmy retention with some lace.

Just a huge powerful banana yeasty aroma as it poured and when I went in for the initial whiff. It's like a tangy spiced banana bread. Just great, with some of the typical herbal-clove as well.

The taste just as great, with nice tangy wheat character, crisp carbonation rolling over the tongue with some spritzy lemon zest, and great bready malt character throughout. Some sweeter fruitiness, and excellent potent yeastiness all the way through.

Even with all the times I've had this, I had forgotten it was 7.5% until I went to enter this review. It clearly has a bit more body and malting than your typical hefeweizen, but it is still on the same level of drinkability. A really great brew, though it is filling. Though, now that I think back, the first time I had this beer I also had the crack'd wheat within the same day or two span. I'm thinking I might've like the crack'd better but I will need to revisit that one as well for the final verdict. This is still an excellent brew all around and there aren't many american examples of this style that can match up.

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium-to-dark golden, light apricot body. Head is huge and white, foaming to about 2 1/2 fingers. Dense. Like whipped ice cream.

Spicy aroma for this one. Clove and faint ginger it seems. Banana also comes through, and a nice strong but light toasty biscuit.

Flavors aren't light here. Much malt gives this beer a strong foundation of cracker and bread. On top of that add the clove and banana, some sweetness that seems to attach itself to the banana, and faint hints at lemon and orange.

Mouthfeel takes a hit as the alcohol comes in to spoil, a bit, the spiciness. Drink takes an additional hit for this.
Very nice beer.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Very cool to see a Hefeweizen that is higher up there in ABV. Dancing Man Wheat's color is a stunning golden orange, with just a touch of haze, and a quick to fade white head. Juicy fruits such as nectarines and clementines kick things off in the nose, followed by some clove and spice. The wheat shines through quite nicely as well. Lively carbonation accents the intense citrus flavors well, with a bit of chalky yeast towards the end. The body is medium overall, which works well with the amount of alcohol inside this beer. This one blurs the lines between Hefeweizen and pale Weizenbock. It is highly drinkable, but packed with flavor, and higher up there on the ABV scale. A completely unique beer we have here from the guys at New Glarus.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my New Glarus Weizen glass. Huge fluffy white head. Cloudy golden yellow. Absolutely gorgeous!

Nose is amazing. Hugh banana. Tons of spice. Very inviting.

Lovely earthy banana and some clove is the taste. The wheat coats my tongue and leaves a subtle sweet aftertaste. Spiceness lingers.

I love the mouthfeel. Creamy with a dryness at the sametime. Carbonation is just right.

My favorite hefeweizen and maybe my favorite beer from New Glarus. Alcohol is very well hidden..until you finish your third one. This one has me jealous of Wisconsin. I will be back to Madison soon. And this time I'm coming back with more than a twelve pack.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Bad idea to pour it in the middle, nothing but... head. I guess that's why people use wheat to give homebrew head retention. So insanely creamy, it looks like melting ice cream, retains infinitely. Hazy golden yellow color. Insane coat of thick lace.

S- Extremely estery, smells like Wyeast Witbier yeast. Tons of banana, clove and buuubbble gum. The grainy malt/wheat stands strong behind this. So strong, over the top I would say.

T- A lot like the aroma but with a ton of citrus/fruit (apple, canteloupe, orange, lemon) and bread. Just a lot of everything, except hops. Lots of grainy malt. Tons of clove and yeast spice. Esters. Cinnamon.

MF- Very nice. Feels as creamy as the head looks, well almost. The carbonation is amazingly smooth. Slightly bitter.

DB- An interesting Hefeweizen. It has a lot of nice aspects and flavors but they are all so strong, the yeast went nuts here. I like it but I don't love it. I would have to say that this is one of the better American Hefeweizens but still nothing to die for. The apperance and mouthfeel carry the score here.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy medium honey amber with two fingers of creamy beige head.

Smell -- Banana, bubblegum, faint clove, and hefe earthiness dominate, along with honey malt and cracked wheat.

Taste -- Banana, clove, toasted honey malt, yeast, bright lemon, apple must, coriander, spicy wheat. Clove and spice become more prominent as the beer warms, with bubblegum and, to an extent, banana fading out for the most part.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with ample fluffy carbonation. Mildly drying finish.

Drinkability -- Quite a unique hefe. I can see the appeal definitely, but I guess I was expecting a little more. Still, a quality beer and a must try for hefe devotees.

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Received this awesome extra from gungorr in our recent trade...

Pours a cloudy hazy golden orange with a huge thick fluffy head... The most beautiful looking hefe I've ever seen...

Surprisingly pungent aromas of spices and banana and wheaty yeast... Definite cloves and cinnamon with a big dose of wheat goodness... I'm actually surprised at how pungent this is... Amazing aromas...

Delicate wheat flavors are accented by the spiciness from the clove and cinnamon here... There's a wonderful tartness here that nakes this one suprebly refreshing... Man, it just tastes fresh and its definitely something I'd love to drink during the summer months... There's a citrusy aspect to this one as well that sets this one well apart from others in its class.. Amazingly crafted brew...

I'm wishing I could get this where I live... Its without a doubt the best hefe I've ever had and has me wishing I had another several bottles... Its amazing....

4.09/5  rDev -2.9%

Many thanks to biernutz for this one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon pilsner glass.

A: Gentle pour yields a 1.5 finger frothy white head with very good retention. Beer is a cloudy, muddy orange. Lacing is stringy and spotty but with little cling.

S: Outrageously aromatic and pungent. Orange rind, wheat, coriander, and other spices. Very sweet and robust and probably one of the most appetizing I've ever come across.

T: Opens with an orange rind tartness and big, in your face spices. Wheat in the middle with a slightly floral and accented spicy finish. Aftertaste is watery and wheaty.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated, lively but subtley deep and robust at the same time. This one is definitely bubbly but it has a noticeably big body to it. Finish is sharp and aftertaste lingers.

D: For a 7.2% abv. wheat beer, I can barely taste the alcohol. Supremely drinkable although the flavor does seem a bit watered down at points. Feel is great with a nice, well-rounded body. Definitely a great example of the style.

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Cloudy yellow-brown shade. Full white head, but retention is somewhat poor.

S: The banana and cloves really jump out of this one as well as any hefe I've smelled previously. Also a little sweetness with the malt and spice. Not sure how old this beer is, but it definitely smells fresh.

T: Lots of lemon and tartness up front, along with a heftly dose of cloves. Banana and yeast are there but less apparent. The citrus and spice flavors seem to dominate a little too much for my liking. Finish is long and carries the tartness through, ending with a slight alcohol burn.

M: Medium body is enjoyable, while the heavy carbonation adds an unwanted frothyness.

A good hefeweizen and a good beer, but not in the top tier of its style for me. I find this one a little heavy on the citrus and the alcohol and prefer Crack'd Wheat as NG's best hefeweizen.

Aroma: (12/12)
Dancing Man Wheat is a Hefeweizen, the bottle states it is a "true Hefeweizen that is 100% bottle fermented". Just like the Hefe's in Germany I've had, the aroma is spot on with of banana and clove esters.

Appearance: (3/3)
A perfect straw color, hazy from the wheat and the bottling yeast. It poured very effervescently with bubbles racing to the top. A quick swirl brings back the head for a few minutes. Laces well.

Flavor: (19/20)
Oh, wow! The aroma brings me back to Germany with its spot-on aroma; the flavor does exactly the same. Great banana flavors, wheat malt present and there is a little tartness on the finish; perfect!

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
A nice medium body, as most Hefe's. As noted earlier, a little tartness on the back end, like true German Hefeweizens.

Overall Impression: (10/10)
This is by far the best American brewed Hefeweizen that I have ever had, not even close! Summit, Schell's, Flying Dog, Shiner and many others haven't even sniffed the level of perfection that New Glarus has created here! Brings me back to Munich!

TOTAL: 49/50

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a bottle into a hefe glass. Good banana scent as soon as I opened the bottle.

A: Two fingers of golden head, collapsing fairly quickly to one lingering finger, leaving only slight lacing on the sides. Hazy, and just a tad dark. Actively effervescent. The fine bubbles form a creamy, stable head, expected with all that wheat-y, yeasty protein.

S: Banana, wheat, and yeast. I get a touch of clove, but very little of the cinnamon the bottle describes. Perhaps a bit of tart noble hops?

T: Solid. Wheat in good proportion, good but not overwhelming banana, and a hint of the clove, just like the nose. Mild, lingering bitterness. On the high end of boozy for the style, but otherwise almost frighteningly true to form.

M: Good chew from the wheat, and spot-on effervescence. Refreshing, but for a bit too much alcoholic heat.

D: Pretty high. This is New Glarus, after all. I would ding this beer for its alcohol content, but it is one of the better examples of the style if you're going for authenticity. A well-executed beer, if you're in the right mood, this will please almost as well as any true Bavarian. I wouldn't call it sessionable--but certainly very drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours with lots of foam that makes for a rocky, yeasty head which falls to a thin, loose layer of bubbles. Smells of banana, vanilla maybe a touch of clove. Tastes a bit of vanilla, some navel orange, caramel and then maybe even a touch of cantaloupe. Effervescent. Finishes somewhat tart at first but then sweet. Would prefer more of solidly tart finish. A touch too sweet for me. Quite drinkable given its alcohol content.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company