2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Dancing Man WheatDancing Man Wheat

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 960 | Reviews: 429 | Show All Ratings:
ibashmuck

Wisconsin

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a big, thick head on a cloudy amber body. Perfect. Smell of cloves, banana and spice, all of which came through very well in the taste. Add in just the right amount of fruitness. Perfect and perfect. I typically like a lemon in my wheats, but this was so good it didn't need it. Carbonation and "thickness" were, what else, perfect. I'd been waiting months to get my hands on this, and the wait was worth it. Everything about this brew is perfection. Everything is absolutely spot on for the style, extraordinary how good this was. Not only the best american version of a hefeweizen, but this ranks right up among the world's best. Perfection.

EDIT- Been loving this for years (!) now, and still the best in the world. At the end of each summer, I load up (several cases) and enjoy throughout the winter, as it holds extremely well (aside from a rise in carbo and alc %). I typically enjoy my last bottle well into the following summer.

08-08-2008 18:40:29 | More by ibashmuck
mnbrewery

Aroma: (12/12)
Dancing Man Wheat is a Hefeweizen, the bottle states it is a "true Hefeweizen that is 100% bottle fermented". Just like the Hefe's in Germany I've had, the aroma is spot on with of banana and clove esters.

Appearance: (3/3)
A perfect straw color, hazy from the wheat and the bottling yeast. It poured very effervescently with bubbles racing to the top. A quick swirl brings back the head for a few minutes. Laces well.

Flavor: (19/20)
Oh, wow! The aroma brings me back to Germany with its spot-on aroma; the flavor does exactly the same. Great banana flavors, wheat malt present and there is a little tartness on the finish; perfect!

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
A nice medium body, as most Hefe's. As noted earlier, a little tartness on the back end, like true German Hefeweizens.

Overall Impression: (10/10)
This is by far the best American brewed Hefeweizen that I have ever had, not even close! Summit, Schell's, Flying Dog, Shiner and many others haven't even sniffed the level of perfection that New Glarus has created here! Brings me back to Munich!

TOTAL: 49/50

09-14-2010 00:47:03 | More by mnbrewery
lookitsmp

appearance: Pours a transparent golden yellow color with a beautiful two finger rocky head that leaves no lacing. This is a very nice looking Hefeweizen with probably one of the coolest looking head's I've ever seen.

smell: Amazing! A great mixture of banana, wheat, yeast, and some clove. Hefeweizens usually are very subtle smelling, and this one is no exception. However, Dancing Man is slightly more pronounced than others of the style and is the best smelling Hefe that I've ever had the privilege to smell.

taste: Bananas, wheat, yeast, clove, and a kiss of some baking spices (could be nutmeg or cinnamon). This beer tastes amazing. All of the elements work so well together. Hands down the best Hefeweizen I've ever had.

mouth: Very light bodied with some slight carbonation. Very very smooth. Goes down very easily. I could drink this all day (or at least try...)

overall: Wow. I don't want to over-hype this beer, but for a person who has been severely unimpressed with many Hefeweizens in the past this beer changed my mind. It looks, smells and tastes amazing. I just wish I had more of it.

05-20-2011 03:58:18 | More by lookitsmp

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

After reading reviews on here I had been looking all over to find a six of this and finally did:

A - Pours a very thick head, one thickest I've seen for a wheat beer.

S - Amazing. Cloves, coriander, bananas and maybe some cinnamon all hit your nose.

T - Smooth. Real wheat favor with good balance of hops.

M - I wouldn't have known this beer has 7.2% abv if I didn't go on NG's website. It is hidden so well and the flavor sticks with you all the way through.

D - On a warm day I could drink this all day.

Best beer I have had from NG.

10-29-2008 20:49:14 | More by Wisconsin
mariposafan

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

10-14-2010 00:27:07 | More by mariposafan
leakyfaucet12

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

I was not expecting anything special from this beer. Based on alot of things I was thinking of this as more of a filler in the beer tasting that was provided for me. While trying many New Glarus brews this one happened to be mine and many others favoritte. The review and description of this beer was quite easy and I would recommend it for all rookies to beer.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy orange. It looked as if all of the ingredients were trying to seperate as you stared at the glass more and more.
The smell was potent and obvious to the different fruits and clove that were present. I smelled bananas for the majority but you could also smell many different citrus.
Taste was incredible. I loved the flavor of this beer. The banana was extremely pleasing to the palate and i also enjoyed the cloves. Throughout the night people were refering to Dancing Man as "The Banana Beer".
Mouthfeel was pleasant as well. This beer was an amazingly drinkable beer that might be my new favoritte thing to drink as a refresher.

12-17-2009 04:29:57 | More by leakyfaucet12
ktrillionaire

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

Review from my massive backlog, from early July 2010. I wish I had a more intricate tick, as I (obviously) think the world of this brew. I will elaborate next time I have the pleasure to crush a few of these.

Purchased at the brewery. Enjoyed at the farm in Monroe, WI.

A - It pours a beautiful hazy honey-gold hue, capped generous off-white foam. It is pretty much exactly what the style is supposed to look like.

S - The nose is replete with the classic notes of the style, and then some. Tropical, melon and kiwi notes mingle with the traditional bread and banana impressions. This stuff smells amazing: It is subtly sweet, complex, fruity, and substantial.

T - Besides the notion that this brew hits every stylistic checkpoint dead-on, my first impression is that of a huge banana muffin flavor. I am also getting some other delicious and delectably fruity notes, including various melon nuances as well as that of wild berries. This is outstanding stuff, without a doubt. The sweetness is just enough to facilitate a wealth of gustatory delights, the complex fruitiness in flavor and aroma is quite uncommon, and the substantive nature of the overall brew is truly satiating.

M - As with the other aspects of this brew, it is as good as it gets. The brew feels rich and velvety and is everything I could ask for.

D - This is not only the best beer of the style I have had, and the best New Glarus beer I have had; it reaches those milestones by a Secretariat-like margin.

11-12-2010 19:19:42 | More by ktrillionaire
stvanderwoude

Indiana

4.91/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best American take on this classic German style I've had. Hits all the right notes. Cloudy pale orange color with a huge, thick white meringue head you could eat with a spoon. Spicy banana-clove smell. Some funky yeast. Taste is warm spices balanced with refreshing fruitiness and a bit of tart-sour yeast. Exuberant carbonation pleases the tongue.

08-07-2013 14:21:56 | More by stvanderwoude
lpayette

Vermont

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance- Pours a nice straw yellow with a tightly laced big, white, and frothy head.

Smell- Very strong bubblegum and banana notes. Hints of cereal.

Taste and Mouthfeel- Awesome. This probably has more to-style-flavor than any other hefeweizen that I've had. Lots and lots of banana and bubblegum as in the smell. Just a touch of sour at the finish makes you thirsty for more. Very creamy.

Drinkability- Pretty much off the charts because it's so tastey. I'd never guess that this was 7.2%. This is the best Hefeweizen I've had to date, hands down.

10-31-2008 01:36:37 | More by lpayette
Mistofminn

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Another treat in my Hudson trip. Very affordable. Was priced at something like $2.09 a bottle at Casanova's.

Poured into my Surly tulip (the Weizen glasses where all dirty). This one is a hazy orange-gold with a nice creamy off white head. The look is great so far. Lively carbonation and great retention and lacing from the head.

The nose is great! Lots of clove and coriander, and bananas! The perfect balance between the true German Hefeweizen and the american "Hopweizen" (thats what I call them at least). There is a little bit of hops in there, but not enough to turn you off at all.

Wow. One word? Spectacular. This one will give Weihenstephaner a run for it's money any day of the week. This is near perfection. It's much closer to a 5 than a 4.5. I get clove and coriander and lots and lots of Bananas. Maybe the most Banana tasting Hefeweizen I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. Just great. But for god sakes, where is the 7+% ABV?!?!?!?

Mouthfeel is amazing as well. Creamy and smooth, and no sign of the alcohol. Drinkability is perfect, but possibly dangerously so. There is no sign of the 7.2% ABV and this one will knock you on your ass if you take it too far.

Great brew. Just great. Climbed to the top of my domestic beer list for sure. Probably my second favorite Hefeweizen in the world, next to Weihenstephaner of course. Stands up with the best in the world and doesn't blink. Kudos New Glarus!

06-29-2009 05:33:56 | More by Mistofminn
TheQuietMan22

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. Three fingers of thick, fluffy, slightly off-white head dissipated very slowly. The color is a beautiful and hazy gold.

Smell: Heavenly hefeweizen to a tee. Yeast, banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum, orange, and lemon citrus. It is tinged with enough clove and pepper spice to tickle the nostrils. And, as New Glarus suggests, there is a little bit of cinnamon, too. It has my mouth watering.

Taste: The body is thick, bready, and oh so good. After the yeast, the palette immediately detects the perfect balance between the clove and pepper spiciness and the Bavarian goodness: banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum, and some citrus.

Drinkability: After the first sip I needed to take a moment, sit back, and marvel at the beautiful things humans can create — all of which were manifested in the pint glass I was holding. Holy cow. I think I will start dancing.

06-04-2011 05:26:31 | More by TheQuietMan22
alexgash

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

With an eagerly anticipated pour and a quick swirl of the bottle, the Dancing Man shows a pulpy, hazy, thick-looking, golden peach body with a thicker, marshmallowy, off-white head. Good lacing. Nose is big and full of banana esters, real bubble gum, cloves, yeast, and banana cream pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Amazingly good smelling hefe.

Toasted wheat bread greets the tongue. Fruity, banana-y esters come on strong with hints of clove. Banana cream pie sweetness and tropical fruits round out the palate. Herbal hop bitterness hums in the background providing some check for the sweetness. Yeasty, banana bread batter and herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Full-bodied, with a velvety smooth mouthfeel. An utterly fantastic strongish hefeweizen that goes down way too easy. Another New Glarus winner!

11-28-2007 00:52:47 | More by alexgash
wkcyr4

12 OZ. Bottle poured into a pint glass:

A: Pours golden and hazy with a nice thick white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising to the top.

S: Bananas, cloves and wheat, a great trifecta of aromas. Bananas less subtle than the clove but tied in nicely with the wheat.

T: Crisp and clean. Clove flavor really comes to the front more than any thing else, IMO. Bananas and cinnamon meld together to round out a very balanced beer. Simple yet complex in that it makes my mouth believe it is tasting more than there is in there.

M: Light and bubbly. Slightly sticky retention on my lips and tongue leeaves a nice residual effect for the next sip to wash over.

D: I could drink this beer easily everyday, if only I could get my hands on more. I would make it point to stock up on this and maybe make it my go to beer, alas not available in our great state of Illinois without a road trip!!

Overall, this is a fantastic beer from a great brewing co. Hefeweizen made the way it should be, simple and very drinkable yet interesting enough to keep you coming back for more. Highly reccommended.

11-23-2008 23:47:49 | More by wkcyr4
glenviewjeff

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Probably the best wheat I've ever tasted, and I've tasted many. Notes of cinnamon/clove, and banana/apple next. My wife thinks it tastes "hoppy," though I don't get it. There is no reason whatsoever to ruin this beer with a lemon. It stands well on its own and its flavor is strong.

It's very cloudy even for an unfiltered wheat beer. It's a shame that we have such lame beer laws in our country that you can't buy it outside of Wisconsin. I'm lucky enough to live about 35 minutes' drive from the Wisconsin border, and it's well worth the trip.

02-22-2010 00:29:18 | More by glenviewjeff
cokes

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

A cloudy pumpkin-hued liquid rests beneath a modest ashy white froth.
The nose is bombastic, full of bruised bananas, lemon, clove, and cinnamon, all in High Definition. Maybe it is not the most dynamic smelling, but it is one of the most precise. And fucking loud for a hefe.
Perfection for the style, and that will be a recurring theme.
Begins with that familiar wheaty sense of grain, that when done in substance and girth, always suggests oatmeal to me. Banana and lemons and vanilla pods stampede in, and only recede with the subsequent forceful explosions of clove and ginger and cinnamon. Peppery too, but more as a tag-along, as all the other flavors demand more attention, and vie for control.
Washes out similarly, with the banana and lemony fruity cadre swashbuckling for superiority against the spicy contingent.
Medium bodied, and pushing thicker with a suggestion of whipped cream. All this is ushered down the throat with a strident bead that ensures it purpose as a summer refresher.

Flavorwise, this is a hefe-weizen concentrate. Nothing new. Nothing unusual. Just bolder and better than probably any version I've ever had.

It doesn't change the game, it just etches it's name in the history books.

This is the fucking real thing, even if you don't think hefes can impress.

07-27-2007 09:01:32 | More by cokes
badbeer

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a slightly orange hue. Head is soft and pillowy white. Aroma is strong with clove, banana, and hints of cinnamin and ginger. Clove burst onto the tongue with some spice mixed in. Banana brilliantly comes into play in the middle, leaving you with a spicy banana bread finish. Full bodied and highly carbonated; a little less body would be perfect, but this is so close. I've been drinking tons of this since it was released, and will continue drinking it until it's all gone. I hope they continue making this one; it is a masterpiece. Another amazing beer from an amazing brewer. Do not change the recipe!

09-29-2007 05:12:26 | More by badbeer
Arbitrator

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. An extra courtesy of badbeer. Thanks Mike!

A: I purposely pour to capture all of the sediment, resulting in a hazy, deep straw-gold-orange body with a vigorous, long-retaining, off-white head. Not much lace down the sides. I wish it looked a little milkier; I love that look in a hefeweizen. But it's hardly bad.

S: Huge wheat aroma, clove, banana, and a light bubblegum nose. Very pungent and aromatic.

T: Wheat and earthy yeast flavors up front, giving way smoothly to soft bubblegum and banana. Hints of orange citrus surface periodically. The finish is a spicy clove sting that, with the carbonation, cleans up the palate nicely for a crisp and clean end to the flavor.

M: Medium bodied, but high carbonation that cleanses the palate very well. And it's necessary, because there's a ton going on here, giving the body a very intense and juicy feel. This was 7.2%? No friggin way...

D: I wish I lived near NG... I'd be drinking this all summer long. What a fantastic weizen.

06-23-2009 03:55:35 | More by Arbitrator
bamadog

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Thanks to MPLS for including this in a trade - absolutely amazing! Review is from notes taken on 2/1/10 and poured from the bottle to a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful lemony yellow mixed with a light coppery orange color and starts with a huge 3 finger billowy white head that eventually fades to a thin, but full, skim on the surface; body is very cloudy and shows strong carbonation; wet and oily lacing that is spotty slides back into the drink.

Smell: Quite a bit going on here -- nice smooth yeasty scents (almost reminiscent of some Pale Belgians Ales); slight banana and clove scents; a nice bready/wheaty presence in the back of the nose with a bit of light graininess.

Taste: Flat out amazing -- Nice smooth and creamy banana flavors combine with the spicey cloves; light presence of a bready wheatiness and toasty grains; slight sweet malt presence as well. Flavors are so well blended and put together, I really with I had about a case of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation that stops just shy of being sharp and it keeps the mouth bubbly and those flavors bouncing around the mouth; body is a little slick and there is even a mild coating left on the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: All day long - beautiful to the eyes, nose and mouth. I definitely understand why this beer ranks as high as it does. It's earned it.

02-02-2010 01:58:56 | More by bamadog
gatornation

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

pours a cloudy straw/sunset yellow color with a big puffy white head like a belgium ale that does recede to a great head and great lacing.... the smell is awesome its clove ,cinnamon,bananas,pears and melons..theres a grain /wheat smell.. its one of those brews from just the smell and look that you know its something good.... then WOW!! the taste is over the top goodness it hits the taste buds with such a great balance of clove and cinnamon and all the b4 mentioned fruits i feel like im at the farmers market this is an exceptional crafted hefeweizen..the drinkability is exceptional i can not believe that this is 7.2 abv it drinks like it is < 5.0... this is a must try if you like wheats, or hefes.. NG is an exceptional brewery that just puts out outstanding well crafted brews only available in WI... this one cracked wheat and black wheat are all really A's...all three highly recommended

05-31-2009 01:36:42 | More by gatornation
BeerFMAndy

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher Weiss glass. No date or info. 0999? I wonder if that's their Julian date.

A - A massive four-finger dense white head cloud head rises up with a timid pour and sticks around infinitely. The body is a hazy (clear 'til I added the sediment) golden yellow color with lots of bubbles cruisin' up to the top. Large sporadic clumps of sticky white lacing cling to the glass as the delicious beer empties.

S - Pours with a delicious earthy clay and yeast aroma that subtly wafts out. A hint of bananas is there too but low for a hefe. The spiciness from the yeast is also apparent. Very subtle and delicate aroma. Crisp, lean wheat aromas in the background too. Delish!

T - A lemony citrus punches me in the face with the first sip and moves to a delicious wheat that's very clean. The yeast isn't overpowering but rather very prominent with it's clay, banana, and clove features. A fantastic hefe. Absolutely classic.

M - Smooth and creamy, the mouthfeel is great! It has a good carbonation finish that's lively but not distracting. Medium-bodied and very refreshing.

D - The very essence of a great hefe, this beer is suberbly crafted and insanely drinkable. It would make for the perfect summer beer to have bottle after bottle of and I didn't even know it was 7.2% while drinking it! A true classic of the style.

10-28-2009 03:32:37 | More by BeerFMAndy
mychalg9

Poured 12 oz bottle into DFH globe

Pours a hazy golden with a large white cap of foam. Smells of lemon, clove, banana, and yeast emanate from the glass; very appealing. Taste is a perfect blend of banana, clove, pepper, and yeast with a touch of lemon and a dry finish. Watch out for the hidden 7.2% ABV. One of the best hefe's I have tasted. Seek this one out.

06-24-2012 00:17:48 | More by mychalg9
burns1066

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So floral, so delicious. Hazy, golden, beautiful... this is a phenomenal hefe. This is the perfect summer brew. New Glarus just doesn't seem to miss. I only wish I lived closer to their beautiful brewery! The smell becomes ever more floral as the beer warms. Absolutely world class... easily on par with its German equivalents.

06-19-2013 03:51:48 | More by burns1066
daledeee

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

I never thought I would say this: An American wheat that is as good as or beats the Germans!!

This one pours a nice clear dark yellow and some nice wheat head. I am not sure I should discount it for no cloudiness. The nose is quite good: fresh, spicy, tart, banana

Taste; oh what a taste. Very nice tart apple and spice. Some hops and malt character. It is not one specific facet of this drink but the overall result that is so good. The mouth feel is also nice with good body and plenty of carbonation. Alcohol is so well hidden it is dangerous. This beer rivals if not surpasses other wheat I like.

12-02-2008 02:02:20 | More by daledeee
Fartknocker

12 oz bottle

A- A somewhat cloudy golden color with a half inch pael head
S- A spicy wheat aroma
T- A fairly strong yet smooth spice flavor of clove and a little cinammon
M- decent carbonation
D- Very smooth drinking beer without the usual sickening spice/burnt wheat flavor that I get from other hefeweizens

07-12-2009 22:29:15 | More by Fartknocker
Bobby12many

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

A - Slightly hazy golden beer with a fluffy, but fleeting foam crop of head. Very nice looking beer, that is just ever so slightly hazy. Quite lively carbonation long after the head has dispersed itself into a coaster.

S - Great hefeweizen smell. Bubblegum and Banana come through with a slight astringent note in the background. This one begs you to take a hearty swig...

T - WOW. This is what a Hefe is supposed to taste like! Although present, the bananas and bubblegum aren't as up front in the taste as they are the nose, but the slight cinnamon note mixed with the Clove presence in the finish really make this beer shine. Impeccable balance of yeast, clove, and classic banana notes on the finish. No mustiness to be found. Simply put, this is just a clean, crisp, and fantastic wheat beer.

M - A bit more thin than other Hefeweizens out there, but it does not adversely affect the experience.

D - Incredibly drinkable, especially for the ABV. So drinkable in fact, that I have purchased every 6 pack of this stuff that I have come across left over from this years run. Undoubtedly one of my favorite beers, and another World Class offering from Dan and Deb @ New Glarus!

11-11-2010 01:43:15 | More by Bobby12many