Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 443 | Hads: 1,280
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Hazy, cloudy golden color with a huge white head.

S: Clove, cinnamon, banana. Smells great.

T: Clove, cinnamon, banana, wheat. A very nice sweet finish. This is amazingly good.

M: Medium, creamy.

O: This is one of the 3 finest hefe's I have had. I am extremely happy that this will be available all summer. World class stuff.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a bright pale, semi-hazy yellow with over three fingers of creamy off-white foam. Looks amazingly fresh.

Smell: Being a hefeweizen I expected banana in the aroma but this is just ridiculous. In a good way, of course. Smells almost exactly like banana Laffy Taffy. I also picked up on some clove, bubblegum, and a light whiff of vinegar.

Taste: Lemon, white pepper, clove, and lots of delicious banana. Spicy and sweet. Finishes with a soft kiss of sugary alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Nice, tingly carbonation. Refreshing and creamy.

Overall, this might very well be the best hefeweizen I've ever had. True to style, beautifully crafted, and bursting with flavor. New Glarus has perfected yet another classic German beer. Prost!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Cloudy yellow, massive 2 finger head, could of been 3 but alas my glass wasn't big enough.

S- Sweet banana interlaced with spices and lemony citrus notes.

T- Very clean, light hints of spice and banana with a hint of tartness coming through mid sip. Smooth, soft, yet characterful finish.

M- Near perfection.

D- I just need to start trusting that Dan knows what hes doing, and buy the six pack.

I was honestly suprised by this one, clearly the best Hefeweizen this side of the Atlantic.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dancing Man Wheat is an awesome hefeweizen. It has a hint of tartness which sets it apart from most examples of the style. Hopefully New Glarus brings it back in 2016!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Served in my Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, murky, pale gold. Absolutely beautiful. Nice golden orange color that fades to a really lovely orange cream color on the sides. It almost looks like Pineapple-Orange-Banana juice. A quarter inch head on the pour that slowly recedes to a thin sheen. Nice lacing on the glass.

S: Mmmm, the banana and clove smells were detectable from two feet away. The aroma on this is luscious and strong, smelling it is an experience in and of itself. As I put the snifter to my nose, the aforementioned banana and clove smack me in the face, with their friends orange and peppercorn close behind. Smells fantastic.

T: I haven't reviewed many of these, but I can tell this is what a great hefe should taste like. Orange, cinnamon, clove with a surprisingly light, sweet finish on the mid. This tastes so darn good, with a lot of flavor and complexity while retaining the light, refreshing qualities I've come to love in this style. I might be crazy, but as this warmed I also picked up on pear notes.

M: Spot on. Well balanced flavors and the carbonation is just right. Refreshing while maintaining enough depth to be interesting.

O: This was my first beer from New Glarus and color me impressed. A truly special hefe-weizen that everyone should be so lucky to try. I imagine it would be as enjoyable on a hot summer day outside on the porch as it is on your couch during college football season. Excellent beer.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance - Golden. Quite cloudy. Tall white head, persistent.

Smell - Strong wheat aroma. Classic bananas and cloves present, too. Seems more weighted to the wheat side than many hefes. I like it, a lot.

Taste - Wheat flavor prominent. Moderate banana and clove. Dry finish, maybe a little bit of citrus at the end. Flavorful and I love the particular balance this beer has.

Mouthfeel - Medium. High carbonation noticeable in the finish.

Drinkability - Nothing not to like about this beer. Looks good, smells good, tastes good. Why can't we have this all year round?

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Poured into a tulip as I couldn't find the hefe glass anywhere. Good embodiment of the style with it's ultra-murkey orange peel colored body and bright 6 cm head. The retention is good, nice layering of lace. A warm looking beer.

S: The smell is pretty spot of for style: Bananas, orange chewing gum, clove, and yeast. Slightly underwhelming, but like I said true to the style.

T: The best hefe that I have had from NG and probably the best hefeweizen that I have ever had. Up front there is a lot of malt sweetness with bananas and orange zest. The bananas really pop in this weizen, but they lay way to a delicate spicyness that finishes with a bready and mildly warming finish. Very refreshing and absurdly smooth layering of malty sweetness that makes me forget it's 7.2% ABV.

M: The body could have been bigger and slightly less carbonation. The mouf still possesses a pleasant amount of creaminess to it with prickly carbonation.

D: Can tell that I'm general maltcentric, but this really makes me want to try more hefeweizens (good thing I bought more varieties). I find this to be a lovely and sugarcoated beer that is undeniably refreshing. Give me summer and the awesome NG prices and if I have to be monogamous with a hefeweizen this would be the one.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Bavarians look out! These guys are on your case. Poured with a huge, fine, foamy, frothy, fluffy white head and lots of lace. Color is a slightly cloudy amber. Aroma is classic Bavarian hefe weiss: yeast, spice, bananas, caramel, malt, lemon, fresh cut grass. Flavor is the same with great balance between bitter and sweet with some tang. Perfect body and carbonation. Ditto finish which is like flavor, of medium length and clean. Session.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Co-worker brought this from Wisconsin for me to try. I love Hefes and I was excited to try it.

A - Extremely cloudy dark gold almost brandished orange color. Tons of fluffy white head that sits proud on the beer. Strong lacing all the way down.

S - Lots of phenolic-clove character with grainy and fruity aroma, like cherries. Some vanilla underneath the rest.

T - Still a strong phenolic-clove flavor one of the biggest that I've tasted but it is complex with grain, tart, fruit, and a nice sweetness that leaves an impression. Has a significant vanilla to go with the clove. No distinct bitterness or hops. Seems very strong and not as light as many hefes making it more flavorful and tasty.

M - Medium or even high mouth-feel especially for the style. High carbonation but fits the style and being bottle conditioned lends an almost homebrew character to the brew. Probably couldn't drink more than 2 or 3 before needing some water. Could definitely use this beer as a meal replacement.

Overall, amazing hefeweizen . Definitely one that I would never turn down especially to start my drinking with. This is the heaviest hefe I've ever tried and I wish this style was more popular (imperial hefeweizen)! I assumed that it would have the strong phenolic flavors but I found myself enjoying the noticeable vanilla and tart cherry notes more than almost any hefe I've ever had. Not as much banana nor as drinkable as Weihenstephaner but more flavorful and a better beer.

Glass- tulip pint

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy, golden yellow with an inch of white head. The color grows darker towards the top of the glass. Head dwindles down to a thin, fluffy cap that leaves great lacing.

S: Immediately I pick up banana esters and sweet malts. The scent is straight caramelized bananas, with a touch of clove and vanilla.

T: Sweet caramelized bananas and vanilla off the bat. The sweetness carries through the entire way and the clove adds a nice touch mid-way through and in the finish. This is an awesome hefeweizen!!

M: Rich with plenty of carbonation.

D: Wow, this is the best hefe I've ever tasted.. even though that hasn't been too many.. but still! You don't even notice the 7.2% abv on this one at all. This has definitely been my favorite beer from New Glarus

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Received this in a trade from BuckeyeNation. Thanks for the chance to try this. This is a beautiful hefeweizen- wonderful flavors here. Pours a hazy orange/golden with a relatively thin head and some light, sloppy lacing. The aroma is of light clove spice and sweet banana. The taste is fantastic. Lots of really fruity, sweet banana. Tastes like those really fragrant tiny baby bananas nicely balanced with some clean clove flavors that are just right. Perfect balance. The banana and clove play off each other back and forth and leave a tropical, but clean sweetness at the end. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a sweetness throughout and a nice clovey finish that is almost peppery. Just a delight to drink. If this were local this would be in my fridge all the time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A cloudy, murky mess. I love the looks. Vanilla white tinged dull yellow body. Creamy off white head. Lace is small, but leaves enough lace. Great aroma. Love the subtle spicing accents of pepper, clove and allspice. Great vanilla tones, with suggestions of nougat. And lemon attributes as well. On the buds, this brings more of the same. Great complexity for a hefe. Spicy pepper accents on top of a yeasty what malt base. Lemon pepper and clove ride on top of the vanilla waves. The creaminess makes this one drinkable beer. But the carbonation is high enough to wash away any and all inadequacies that may have been left in your mouth from other intakes. This is a top notch Hefe Weizen. And it rivals their old Solstice (RIP), which was one of my faves as well. Only the Town Hall Double Hefeweizen surpasses this on my "Favorite Hefes" list.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to hannydawg for this bottle.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy straw. There is a massive amount of head that slowly dissipates. The Lacing is quite good, large and tiny bubbles hug the glass from top to bottom

S: Smells earthy, spicy, and packed with citrus. I'm also picking up some banana. The Belgian yeast comes through nicely. There are also notes of flowers, fruit, and clove.

T: The taste starts off light and sweet. It reminds me of unripe bananas. That sweetness melds well with the spice (clove notes) that comes on quickly. The carbonation is perfect in this beer. The spices last until the finish, where I get a bit of citrus bite.

M: This is a light bodied beer, but the flavors last beautifully on the palate.

O: This is easily the best wheat beer I’ve ever had. Hands down, this one is a pure winner.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my New Glarus Weizen glass. Huge fluffy white head. Cloudy golden yellow. Absolutely gorgeous!

Nose is amazing. Hugh banana. Tons of spice. Very inviting.

Lovely earthy banana and some clove is the taste. The wheat coats my tongue and leaves a subtle sweet aftertaste. Spiceness lingers.

I love the mouthfeel. Creamy with a dryness at the sametime. Carbonation is just right.

My favorite hefeweizen and maybe my favorite beer from New Glarus. Alcohol is very well hidden..until you finish your third one. This one has me jealous of Wisconsin. I will be back to Madison soon. And this time I'm coming back with more than a twelve pack.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

This one pours cloudy golden with a monster head that hangs out for a good 5 minutes. Aroma is sweet fruit esp bannana and wheat. Flavor is outstanding easily the best hefe I've ever had. Bannana and grapefruit the dominent flavors in this one. What makes this hefe special is the way it finishes. It finishes so clean with a tinge of wheat and sweetness from the bannana. Better done than the german hefes that I've had. This is better than their unplugged version which I felt was a little unbalanced. Will get more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle into Hefeweizen glass.
A: Pours a nice thick and fluffy head. Great retention that sticks to one finger for most of the duration of the brew. The body is a murky orange. A solid layer of lace is left after each sip.
S: The first notes that hit me are that of bubble gum. Sweet notes of both banana and clove, resemble that of candy.
T/M: The front of this beer shows a burst of carbonation, that fills the mouth with a medium body for the style. The notes of the aroma are evident in the taste. The alcohol plays a nice balance with the flavors, but is not too over powering.
D: A all around great beer. This is a Hefe that I will come back for. The taste is a bold, refreshing wake up call for the style of Hefeweizen. A great ABV for the style and it is hidden very well. This I feel could be drank anytime of the year. Normally I enjoy a Hefe in the summertime, but will enjoy these well into the fall and winter.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Into my curvy DFH pint glass, pours a semi cloudy golden straw color with a nice two inch head to begin with, off white, till it settles to a thin film. Leaves lacing in wide streaks. The aroma is finely toned in clove and pepper spices, some nice subtle banana and wheat, an exceptional nose for this hefe.

Taste comes off much the same as the nose, a nice balance between the cloves and pepper, wheat malt, and subtle banana, with a twinge of lemon citrus, just slight. The mouth is solid, crisply carbonated and finishes nicely. A very easy to drink beer, well crafted, very tasty. Put it this way, I kept raising its score the more I drank it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: hazy yellowish orange color with a long lasting 3" fluffy head. Moderate lacing paints the glass.

Smell: wheat and spices are very pleasant on the nose.

Taste: big wheat flavor with banana, strong clove and a decent bitterness. Some lemon citrus arrives late. There is an overall breadiness here too.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp to start, a bit smoother late. The aftertaste is short-lived.

Drinkability: if you are looking for a great hefe, this one will do. Easy to quaff, big flavors, and super refreshing. Great beer.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

From bottle pours to a nice head, which releases some of the most intense Bavarian wheat-style aromas from this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Has all the good flavor that the aroma promises, right up there with the other top hefe's. It is a pleasure to have in your mouth, but if you drink a few you could imagine that it would start to be a little thick and the punch it packs at 7.2% abv would go straight to your dancing shoes.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Dancing Man Wheat opens up with a three finger soft pillow head on the pour. The beer is a nice golden color with a lot of haze inside. As it is consumed there is some lacing present. A very nice looking wheat beer.

The aroma is ripe with clove and toasted banana throughout. There is a bread-like quality here that is classic among the best German varieties as well. The citrus did not seem to be as strong as it is in other Hefes but it was noticeable.

Dancing Man has a bold and exciting flavor. As with the aroma, the clove and toasted banana elements are strong but not overpowering. With them comes a mild sweetness that brings out some complexity. The finish is slightly bitter and adds good balance to the experience. In my opinion, this beer toys with some of the elements of a good Dunkel while clearly remaining a Hefe in character.

Wheats are meant to be heartily imbibed, and this one does not break that mold. The body is maybe a little heavier than most but still easy on the stomach. I thought the air was very well balanced -- not strong at all in my opinion. High ABV lends toward more thorough appreciation of everything this beer has to offer.

This is one of the few American beers to be a very good take on the classic German Hefe. Unfortunate to most drinkers, the Wisconsin-only distribution adds a bit of mystique around this brew. If you can get your hands on this, however, it's worth the wait.

(From tasting notes dated 10 Jul 2009)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Lovely hazy yellow. Froth galore, excellent lacing as well.

Smell: Deliciously wheaty, with mild spicing.

Taste: Yeasty. Complex, yet balanced. Less banana flavor here than some hefeweizens. Less spicy as well, but a solid flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, even for the style. Goes down smooth.

Drinkability: Oh so drinkable and refreshing. They've got to be kidding with the 7.2% ABV.

Notes: This is definitely my favorite American hefeweizen, and probably my favorite hefe overall. It borrows the best elements of the various great German hefes and combines them in a subtle and effective manner. Itcomes out as the ideal traditional Bavarian hefeweizen, and it's American-made! Awesome! I'm sad to see I'm down to my last couple bottles until next season.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

American wheats/hefe-weizens...usually totally disappointing when compared to Germany's originals. Dancing Man Wheat stands up strongly next to the best hefes you care to mention. This is hands-down the best hefe/wheat being brewed in America (of the ones I've tried, anyway).

Pours a huge fluffy head, sizzling and popping and taking a long time to chill. A cloudy haze swirls inside a sunny peach-yellow, dirty from the swirled sediment. Wild strings of lace cling thickly to the glass.

Light spices of clove and allspice in the aroma, with banana esters and earthy grains in the background.

The flavor seems to arrive in two stages: first is a peach sweetness/yeast funkiness, helped along by a super-creamy body; it transforms into a delicious banana/nut-bread, riding out into and through the finish. Again, a mellow creaminess carries the flavors through wonderfully, but there's also enough carbonation to make it feel nice and alive.

Wow. Great stuff from a great brewery. Here's to the New Glarus expansion and the hopes that their beers will be available nationwide, if not globally. This is the stuff, may they brew it forever.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

It poured very active, hazy yellow-gold with a white three finger head. The head retreated a little and left some nice lacing.

It had a very nice scent of banana, clove and fresh bread dough.

A very rich taste of banana that was cut lightly by clove. It was refreshing, lite bodied and had a nice crisp finish with a bit of alcohol tinge.

Just a great beer. I could drink this beer for an entire weekend and not want anything different.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangish amber with a golden tint to it. There is a finger of off white head with some decent retention.

Smell: Lots of fruity notes from the yeast. I'm picking up a ton of bubble gum and banana. Some spice and a strong sweetness. Really nice.

Taste: A lot like the smell, but not nearly as sweet. There is a strong flavor of banana and bubble gum along with some mild citrus like notes. Some spice and crisp malt sweetness. The finish is fruity and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with carbonation that is tingly and very smooth. The finish is slightly dry.

Overall: This is a fantastic beer. The fruity notes along with the wheat is a very refreshing combination. I'm a huge fan.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Dancing Man Wheat is a gold colored brew, fairly cloudy with a shitload of rising carbonation bubbles which support a monstrous pillowy white head.

The nose is what you want from Hefeweizens, but cranked up to volume 11. Loads of clove, banana, with some bubblegum and other spice layered over a wheat grain foundation.

The taste is very nice as well. Starts with sweet and grainy malt, transitions into some fruit and citrus elements, and finishes spicy with the other Hefeweizen tones as well. The high alcohol contributes to the spiciness just a tad, but it is very well blended considering how light of a beer Hefes traditionally are. The mouth is highly carbonated and finishes nice and crisp.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company