Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,238 | Reviews: 443

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun stylized label art and iconic branded gold-and-green pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!). Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given the brewery and this beer's current rating (94). Apparently this is the third highest rated hefeweizen on the site currently (ignoring those with only a few reviews). I'm surprised the ABV is as high as it is given it's a hefeweizen. I can confirm the style but not the ABV per the label. I don't have a weissbierglas here in low altitude Austin, so I'm serving it into Cantillon stemware.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The head does rise slowly upon removal of the cap, eventually mushrooming out of the bottle.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Nice soft smooth silky complexion. Nice fluffy creaminess and good thickness. Fairly frothy. Head retention is quite good if the beer really is 7.20% - about 6-7+ minutes. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a quasitransparent translucent yellow-orange of good vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Plenty of carbonation bubbles suggest adequate carbonation. It appears much more filtered than I anticipated; I thought it'd be a lot hazier - on par with traditional paragons of the style. For a bottle conditioned unfiltered hefeweizen, it's looking mighty clear.

Overall, it looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Plenty of clove and banana up front as well as the obligatory wheat. Light floral hops are present too, but seem to have minimal presence. Cilantro. Clean barley. The clove is a bit stronger than I'm used to for a hefeweizen. I get cinnamon, but only because I'm looking for it; I wouldn't notice it unprompted. It's also got a healthy presence of clean German yeast with a fair amount of biscuity character. Light citrusy esters throughout, but sadly orange peel can't be found among them. In terms of personal preference, I'll take an orange peel hefeweizen over a banana/clove hefeweizen any day of the week, but it's still an appealing aroma and I'm excited to try it. It's also somewhat dry whilst still inviting the drinker in.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: It's got a nice wheat body and is cleanly fermented by the Bavarian yeast. High attenuation is evident. Ample clove and banana throughout but especially up front. A dash of cinnamon, I guess, but it's not really that strong or evocative. If I reach I find green apple, clean barley, and some vague fruity esters (e.g. papaya/apricot). A touch of lemon, sure. I like it.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through - quite a feat at 7.20% (if this really is that high).

To be honest, I really hoped for more complexity and subtlety. The hefeweizen is one of the hardest styles to pull off in my opinion; it's just four ingredients and pure finesse, demanding careful balance and excruciatingly difficult subtlety. But this beer from New Glarus doesn't bring enough to the table. It's ultimately a pretty simple hefeweizen and while I like it, it lacks the nuance of the style's paragons. Some orange peel would be lovely. The wheat doesn't seem to be as full-flavoured and deep as it should be. Maybe Wisconsin wheat just can't compete with Bavarian wheat?

Mf: Refreshing and smooth, with a great balance of dryness and wetness - dry enough to coax out the flavours a bit more, but wet enough to remain refreshing and quenching. Well-carbonated; bottle fermentation was a great choice. Good body and presence on the palate. A biteen too thick for a hefeweizen, but I guess that enables them to bury the alcohol presence. It complements the flavour profile well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it. Very approachable.

Not oily, hot, gushed, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: Quite drinkable, especially for the abnormally high ABV. This may be the highest ABV hefeweizen I've had? It hides it quite well; I'd guess it was about 5.5% if I tried it blind. I'm envious of anyone who has ready access to 6-packs of this, and if I was one of them I'd definitely pick it up frequently, but frankly it's just not up to par with the best traditional offerings of the style. As much as I love New Glarus, the Germans do this style best. That said, I already want another and I'd happily get a keg of this for a party. I'd recommend it to friends. Oddly, I actually prefer New Glarus' kristalweizen. This is certainly one to try if you come across it.

Thanks to Duff27 for the opportunity to try this!

B

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

4.09/5  rDev -2.9%

No date that I can find.

A: Pours a lightly hazy golden. Big fizzy, soda-like white head that fades out almost instantly. No lacing or head retention whatsoever.

S: Mild and tasty wheat. Mild crisp citrus. Pretty subtle aroma.

T: Oh yeah, this is nice. Robust wheat character with lots of nice orange. Banana in the middle. Simple but delicious.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: Really nice Hefe. Super super smooth tasting and drinking. Goes down so easily and definitely gets bonus points for that. Relatively simple (it's a Hefe, what do you expect) and a little bit bolder and heavier than your average I think. Really stands out as a result. One of the very best I've ever had.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Color is a pale golden straw color with a big white head that keeps a light cover over the top of the beer from the high carbonation.
Aroma- big bready malt balanced with esters and cloves. Smell like a good breakfast in a glass. Taste- Sweet pilsner malt with a good amount of bread. Banana and cloves are balanced perfectly with the malt neither dominates. Some more sweetness probably from the alcohol that is a hidden 7.2%. Finishes semi dry with a slight noble bitterness. One of my favorite beers.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company