Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 443 | Hads: 1,282
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

From bottle pours to a nice head, which releases some of the most intense Bavarian wheat-style aromas from this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Has all the good flavor that the aroma promises, right up there with the other top hefe's. It is a pleasure to have in your mouth, but if you drink a few you could imagine that it would start to be a little thick and the punch it packs at 7.2% abv would go straight to your dancing shoes.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Dancing Man Wheat opens up with a three finger soft pillow head on the pour. The beer is a nice golden color with a lot of haze inside. As it is consumed there is some lacing present. A very nice looking wheat beer.

The aroma is ripe with clove and toasted banana throughout. There is a bread-like quality here that is classic among the best German varieties as well. The citrus did not seem to be as strong as it is in other Hefes but it was noticeable.

Dancing Man has a bold and exciting flavor. As with the aroma, the clove and toasted banana elements are strong but not overpowering. With them comes a mild sweetness that brings out some complexity. The finish is slightly bitter and adds good balance to the experience. In my opinion, this beer toys with some of the elements of a good Dunkel while clearly remaining a Hefe in character.

Wheats are meant to be heartily imbibed, and this one does not break that mold. The body is maybe a little heavier than most but still easy on the stomach. I thought the air was very well balanced -- not strong at all in my opinion. High ABV lends toward more thorough appreciation of everything this beer has to offer.

This is one of the few American beers to be a very good take on the classic German Hefe. Unfortunate to most drinkers, the Wisconsin-only distribution adds a bit of mystique around this brew. If you can get your hands on this, however, it's worth the wait.

(From tasting notes dated 10 Jul 2009)

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Lovely hazy yellow. Froth galore, excellent lacing as well.

Smell: Deliciously wheaty, with mild spicing.

Taste: Yeasty. Complex, yet balanced. Less banana flavor here than some hefeweizens. Less spicy as well, but a solid flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, even for the style. Goes down smooth.

Drinkability: Oh so drinkable and refreshing. They've got to be kidding with the 7.2% ABV.

Notes: This is definitely my favorite American hefeweizen, and probably my favorite hefe overall. It borrows the best elements of the various great German hefes and combines them in a subtle and effective manner. Itcomes out as the ideal traditional Bavarian hefeweizen, and it's American-made! Awesome! I'm sad to see I'm down to my last couple bottles until next season.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy, golden yellow with an inch of white head. The color grows darker towards the top of the glass. Head dwindles down to a thin, fluffy cap that leaves great lacing.

S: Immediately I pick up banana esters and sweet malts. The scent is straight caramelized bananas, with a touch of clove and vanilla.

T: Sweet caramelized bananas and vanilla off the bat. The sweetness carries through the entire way and the clove adds a nice touch mid-way through and in the finish. This is an awesome hefeweizen!!

M: Rich with plenty of carbonation.

D: Wow, this is the best hefe I've ever tasted.. even though that hasn't been too many.. but still! You don't even notice the 7.2% abv on this one at all. This has definitely been my favorite beer from New Glarus

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Received this in a trade from BuckeyeNation. Thanks for the chance to try this. This is a beautiful hefeweizen- wonderful flavors here. Pours a hazy orange/golden with a relatively thin head and some light, sloppy lacing. The aroma is of light clove spice and sweet banana. The taste is fantastic. Lots of really fruity, sweet banana. Tastes like those really fragrant tiny baby bananas nicely balanced with some clean clove flavors that are just right. Perfect balance. The banana and clove play off each other back and forth and leave a tropical, but clean sweetness at the end. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a sweetness throughout and a nice clovey finish that is almost peppery. Just a delight to drink. If this were local this would be in my fridge all the time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A cloudy, murky mess. I love the looks. Vanilla white tinged dull yellow body. Creamy off white head. Lace is small, but leaves enough lace. Great aroma. Love the subtle spicing accents of pepper, clove and allspice. Great vanilla tones, with suggestions of nougat. And lemon attributes as well. On the buds, this brings more of the same. Great complexity for a hefe. Spicy pepper accents on top of a yeasty what malt base. Lemon pepper and clove ride on top of the vanilla waves. The creaminess makes this one drinkable beer. But the carbonation is high enough to wash away any and all inadequacies that may have been left in your mouth from other intakes. This is a top notch Hefe Weizen. And it rivals their old Solstice (RIP), which was one of my faves as well. Only the Town Hall Double Hefeweizen surpasses this on my "Favorite Hefes" list.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to hannydawg for this bottle.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy straw. There is a massive amount of head that slowly dissipates. The Lacing is quite good, large and tiny bubbles hug the glass from top to bottom

S: Smells earthy, spicy, and packed with citrus. I'm also picking up some banana. The Belgian yeast comes through nicely. There are also notes of flowers, fruit, and clove.

T: The taste starts off light and sweet. It reminds me of unripe bananas. That sweetness melds well with the spice (clove notes) that comes on quickly. The carbonation is perfect in this beer. The spices last until the finish, where I get a bit of citrus bite.

M: This is a light bodied beer, but the flavors last beautifully on the palate.

O: This is easily the best wheat beer I’ve ever had. Hands down, this one is a pure winner.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my New Glarus Weizen glass. Huge fluffy white head. Cloudy golden yellow. Absolutely gorgeous!

Nose is amazing. Hugh banana. Tons of spice. Very inviting.

Lovely earthy banana and some clove is the taste. The wheat coats my tongue and leaves a subtle sweet aftertaste. Spiceness lingers.

I love the mouthfeel. Creamy with a dryness at the sametime. Carbonation is just right.

My favorite hefeweizen and maybe my favorite beer from New Glarus. Alcohol is very well hidden..until you finish your third one. This one has me jealous of Wisconsin. I will be back to Madison soon. And this time I'm coming back with more than a twelve pack.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

This one pours cloudy golden with a monster head that hangs out for a good 5 minutes. Aroma is sweet fruit esp bannana and wheat. Flavor is outstanding easily the best hefe I've ever had. Bannana and grapefruit the dominent flavors in this one. What makes this hefe special is the way it finishes. It finishes so clean with a tinge of wheat and sweetness from the bannana. Better done than the german hefes that I've had. This is better than their unplugged version which I felt was a little unbalanced. Will get more.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Poured into a tulip as I couldn't find the hefe glass anywhere. Good embodiment of the style with it's ultra-murkey orange peel colored body and bright 6 cm head. The retention is good, nice layering of lace. A warm looking beer.

S: The smell is pretty spot of for style: Bananas, orange chewing gum, clove, and yeast. Slightly underwhelming, but like I said true to the style.

T: The best hefe that I have had from NG and probably the best hefeweizen that I have ever had. Up front there is a lot of malt sweetness with bananas and orange zest. The bananas really pop in this weizen, but they lay way to a delicate spicyness that finishes with a bready and mildly warming finish. Very refreshing and absurdly smooth layering of malty sweetness that makes me forget it's 7.2% ABV.

M: The body could have been bigger and slightly less carbonation. The mouf still possesses a pleasant amount of creaminess to it with prickly carbonation.

D: Can tell that I'm general maltcentric, but this really makes me want to try more hefeweizens (good thing I bought more varieties). I find this to be a lovely and sugarcoated beer that is undeniably refreshing. Give me summer and the awesome NG prices and if I have to be monogamous with a hefeweizen this would be the one.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Bavarians look out! These guys are on your case. Poured with a huge, fine, foamy, frothy, fluffy white head and lots of lace. Color is a slightly cloudy amber. Aroma is classic Bavarian hefe weiss: yeast, spice, bananas, caramel, malt, lemon, fresh cut grass. Flavor is the same with great balance between bitter and sweet with some tang. Perfect body and carbonation. Ditto finish which is like flavor, of medium length and clean. Session.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Co-worker brought this from Wisconsin for me to try. I love Hefes and I was excited to try it.

A - Extremely cloudy dark gold almost brandished orange color. Tons of fluffy white head that sits proud on the beer. Strong lacing all the way down.

S - Lots of phenolic-clove character with grainy and fruity aroma, like cherries. Some vanilla underneath the rest.

T - Still a strong phenolic-clove flavor one of the biggest that I've tasted but it is complex with grain, tart, fruit, and a nice sweetness that leaves an impression. Has a significant vanilla to go with the clove. No distinct bitterness or hops. Seems very strong and not as light as many hefes making it more flavorful and tasty.

M - Medium or even high mouth-feel especially for the style. High carbonation but fits the style and being bottle conditioned lends an almost homebrew character to the brew. Probably couldn't drink more than 2 or 3 before needing some water. Could definitely use this beer as a meal replacement.

Overall, amazing hefeweizen . Definitely one that I would never turn down especially to start my drinking with. This is the heaviest hefe I've ever tried and I wish this style was more popular (imperial hefeweizen)! I assumed that it would have the strong phenolic flavors but I found myself enjoying the noticeable vanilla and tart cherry notes more than almost any hefe I've ever had. Not as much banana nor as drinkable as Weihenstephaner but more flavorful and a better beer.

Glass- tulip pint

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance - Golden. Quite cloudy. Tall white head, persistent.

Smell - Strong wheat aroma. Classic bananas and cloves present, too. Seems more weighted to the wheat side than many hefes. I like it, a lot.

Taste - Wheat flavor prominent. Moderate banana and clove. Dry finish, maybe a little bit of citrus at the end. Flavorful and I love the particular balance this beer has.

Mouthfeel - Medium. High carbonation noticeable in the finish.

Drinkability - Nothing not to like about this beer. Looks good, smells good, tastes good. Why can't we have this all year round?

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Hazy, cloudy golden color with a huge white head.

S: Clove, cinnamon, banana. Smells great.

T: Clove, cinnamon, banana, wheat. A very nice sweet finish. This is amazingly good.

M: Medium, creamy.

O: This is one of the 3 finest hefe's I have had. I am extremely happy that this will be available all summer. World class stuff.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a bright pale, semi-hazy yellow with over three fingers of creamy off-white foam. Looks amazingly fresh.

Smell: Being a hefeweizen I expected banana in the aroma but this is just ridiculous. In a good way, of course. Smells almost exactly like banana Laffy Taffy. I also picked up on some clove, bubblegum, and a light whiff of vinegar.

Taste: Lemon, white pepper, clove, and lots of delicious banana. Spicy and sweet. Finishes with a soft kiss of sugary alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Nice, tingly carbonation. Refreshing and creamy.

Overall, this might very well be the best hefeweizen I've ever had. True to style, beautifully crafted, and bursting with flavor. New Glarus has perfected yet another classic German beer. Prost!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Cloudy yellow, massive 2 finger head, could of been 3 but alas my glass wasn't big enough.

S- Sweet banana interlaced with spices and lemony citrus notes.

T- Very clean, light hints of spice and banana with a hint of tartness coming through mid sip. Smooth, soft, yet characterful finish.

M- Near perfection.

D- I just need to start trusting that Dan knows what hes doing, and buy the six pack.

I was honestly suprised by this one, clearly the best Hefeweizen this side of the Atlantic.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dancing Man Wheat is an awesome hefeweizen. It has a hint of tartness which sets it apart from most examples of the style. Hopefully New Glarus brings it back in 2016!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Served in my Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter.

A: Pours a hazy, murky, pale gold. Absolutely beautiful. Nice golden orange color that fades to a really lovely orange cream color on the sides. It almost looks like Pineapple-Orange-Banana juice. A quarter inch head on the pour that slowly recedes to a thin sheen. Nice lacing on the glass.

S: Mmmm, the banana and clove smells were detectable from two feet away. The aroma on this is luscious and strong, smelling it is an experience in and of itself. As I put the snifter to my nose, the aforementioned banana and clove smack me in the face, with their friends orange and peppercorn close behind. Smells fantastic.

T: I haven't reviewed many of these, but I can tell this is what a great hefe should taste like. Orange, cinnamon, clove with a surprisingly light, sweet finish on the mid. This tastes so darn good, with a lot of flavor and complexity while retaining the light, refreshing qualities I've come to love in this style. I might be crazy, but as this warmed I also picked up on pear notes.

M: Spot on. Well balanced flavors and the carbonation is just right. Refreshing while maintaining enough depth to be interesting.

O: This was my first beer from New Glarus and color me impressed. A truly special hefe-weizen that everyone should be so lucky to try. I imagine it would be as enjoyable on a hot summer day outside on the porch as it is on your couch during college football season. Excellent beer.

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a heavily hazed amber with a great two finger head, but quickly recedes to a thin film in the pint glass. This beer could use a litle more head retention. Just the perfect banana ad clove aroma with some light breads mingling throughout the nose. Sweet bread grains hit the palate first, mking way for a nice developmentof banana flavors. Finishing with soft fruits and bready malts with just a touch of herbal hops. This beer is so well balanced ad deadly with a 7.2% abv. I would have never guessed the alcohol was that high. Just outstanding!!!

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks to eyncognito for this 12 oz bottle. My love of NG wheat beers is officially on record, so I am anxious to try this.

A: I poured the ale vigourously into my Widmer Bros. hefe glass, stirring up the head and sediment. A full seven fingers of lace arose before settling down and depositing lace around the sides of the glass. The ale is hazy, heavy with yeast sediment. The color approximates an earthy yellow-brown hue that appears on many trees in mid-October.

S: Even in a fresh-from-the-fridge state, the weizen aromas are strong. Wheat starts off with light tartness before the spices coming flying in. Clove and bubblegum are strong but not cloyingly sweet. Faint banana wafts out as well. A lot of nose packed into one glass.

T: Wheat is a great set-up for the ale, softly lulling the palate into a haze before, BAM!, the yeast hits like a hammer. Clove and bubblegum are upfront with a spicy sweetness. Grain flavors return sporadically throughout each sip, acting almost like a 'reset' for the ale. Banana is prominent on the back end, a welcome addition to the party. Orange peel and mango mix into the sweetness in the finish. The alcohol isn't evident but does sneak up on you.

M: The mouthfeel is intense, careening from one flavor to the next at breakneck speed. I like that the ale shows off more than clove, banana and bubblegum. The citrus that emerges is a very welcome addition.

D: Even at 7.2%, this one goes down wicked easy. An authentic weizen with a twist that further cements NG's stature as best wheat brewer in the U.S.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Pours an orange color. Looks like any good hefe, hazy as all hell. Off white fluffy head.

S: Big banana and clove scent with cinnamon in the background. Lemon, too.

T: Big, bold flavors of wheaty goodness. Banana, clove, even cinnamon. The more you drink the more you start tasting the lemon, which sticks to the roof of your mouth. If you let it warm up, just the slightest hint of alcohol starts coming through, but its a drying effect; there is no heat or harshness whatsoever.

M: It feels heavy in the mouth, not watery at all. Carbonation is perfect, not too high. It lets the flavors really come through. Dangerously smooth.

Dan has made an absolutely world class brew here. I count down the days when this is to be released. At an alcohol content of 7.2%, this beer is one of the most dangerous brews out there IMO. If you finish a six pack of this (which is just oh so easy to do), you may be in trouble!

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz bottle. The beer is a nice deep straw to light orange color with a very nice 3 fingers of thick white head over top that falls very slowly to a finger over top. This brew is certainly cloudy, with tons of yeast in suspension. This one is a damn fine looking hefe. The aroms is dominated by spicy clove ester initially. As it warms, a ton of sweet banana and bubblegum come flowing it, with a subtle wheat creamyness. On the end there is a distinct whiff of alcohol telling me this one is packing some punch. The flavor hits with a very solid creamy wheaty flavor with a very dominant clove spiceyness with the banana fruityness bringing up the aftertaste. I like the solid malt base and the dominance of the spicey ester over the fruity. Mouthfeel is ever so smooth, with a tangible creamy character. At the start of this one, there was a fairly strong carbonation, but now that I'm almost through it, there is little bubble to be felt. I am not sure drinkability could be any better on this one. It has all the flavor and aroma one could ask for in a hefe. For over 7%, the only hint was a puff in the nose, and the nice feeling I find washing over me. This one is damn nice.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy, luminous orange-gold body presided over by a voluminous, creamy, statuesque head of fine white foam that exhibits impeccable retention and leaves some dense lace (though not quite as much as I would like). All around, a breathtaking beer.

S: Huge, assertive hefe nose: lots of cloves and banana, but this is a standout in the bubblegum category - which just happens to be my favorite of the classic hefe scents. This brew shows a great mix of spice and sweetness, and it manages to display an authentic hefe aroma but with more intensity than I've ever encountered. Awesome.

T: Starts out with the clove spice, but quickly transitions into a medley of rich malt flavors: bread, fruit (not banana, interestingly - a little darker, like raisins or plums), and finally a finish redolent of bubblegum. Complex and tasty.

M: Nice soft carbonation, but a little thinner of body than I might like.

D: As drinkable as any hefe I've ever had, but significantly higher ABV. Unbelievable.

Notes: This tastes like the Platonic ideal of a hefe: every image, every aroma, every flavor is here, and intensified beyond all expectations. Definitely my favorite hefe of all time. Excellent work, NG - as always!

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz bottle. Received in trade from alcstradamus. Thanks Adam! Served in a Weizen glass.

A: Massive, four finger of creamy white head that fades slowly. Pours a hazy orange yellow. Crazy active carbonation. Good lacing.

S: Wheat esters. Orange peel, banana and other faint spices like clove. Almost somewhat Belgian like? A small amount of light hops.

T: The wheat, spices and yeast all come together perfectly. Very rich flavors for a Hefe. Great orange, lemon and light fruity notes. Banana flavor is there, but not overpowering. I also tasted some toffee and bready malts. Some faint hops on the finish, but their very subdued.

M: Light bodied. Very smooth. Carbonation is near perfect.

D: Where did my glass go? I was just full! Insanely drinkable. The higher than normal 7.2% ABV doesn't even come into play. Incredibly light, flavorful and refreshing.

Another amazing offering from NG. This is one of, if not the best American Hefewizen's that you can buy. I'm not the biggest Hefe fan, but I could drink this all the time.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Big thanks to BarrytheBear for the opportunity to try this!

A-pours a dark golden amber in color, quite hazy and hard to see through, dark in the center lighter on the edges, tons of slightly off white fuffly and bubbly head all over.

S-tons of citrus up front, lots of oranges, fresh lemon, very fruity bubblegum, the spice takes over, awesome clove aromas with a hint of white pepper.

T-the flavors and balance in this are incredible! this could be the best hefewiezen i've ever tasted. the juicy fruit and bubblegum lay such a great foundation to only be balanced by a tasty spicy clove and white pepper, notes of a floral herbal spice presence with a light bitterness in the back.

M-great feel, soft on the palate, medium bodied and syrupy, strong carbonation to balance, slightly dry finish.

D-awesome beer, has the great balance of a wheat beer from the spice and fruit juiciness, light hop presence in the back with all of the carbonation and body you want to see.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company