Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

Dancing Man WheatDancing Man Wheat

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros
firstprev| 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next → last
Reviews: 443 | Hads: 1,280
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a slightly orange hue. Head is soft and pillowy white. Aroma is strong with clove, banana, and hints of cinnamin and ginger. Clove burst onto the tongue with some spice mixed in. Banana brilliantly comes into play in the middle, leaving you with a spicy banana bread finish. Full bodied and highly carbonated; a little less body would be perfect, but this is so close. I've been drinking tons of this since it was released, and will continue drinking it until it's all gone. I hope they continue making this one; it is a masterpiece. Another amazing beer from an amazing brewer. Do not change the recipe!

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So floral, so delicious. Hazy, golden, beautiful... this is a phenomenal hefe. This is the perfect summer brew. New Glarus just doesn't seem to miss. I only wish I lived closer to their beautiful brewery! The smell becomes ever more floral as the beer warms. Absolutely world class... easily on par with its German equivalents.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

A cloudy pumpkin-hued liquid rests beneath a modest ashy white froth.
The nose is bombastic, full of bruised bananas, lemon, clove, and cinnamon, all in High Definition. Maybe it is not the most dynamic smelling, but it is one of the most precise. And fucking loud for a hefe.
Perfection for the style, and that will be a recurring theme.
Begins with that familiar wheaty sense of grain, that when done in substance and girth, always suggests oatmeal to me. Banana and lemons and vanilla pods stampede in, and only recede with the subsequent forceful explosions of clove and ginger and cinnamon. Peppery too, but more as a tag-along, as all the other flavors demand more attention, and vie for control.
Washes out similarly, with the banana and lemony fruity cadre swashbuckling for superiority against the spicy contingent.
Medium bodied, and pushing thicker with a suggestion of whipped cream. All this is ushered down the throat with a strident bead that ensures it purpose as a summer refresher.

Flavorwise, this is a hefe-weizen concentrate. Nothing new. Nothing unusual. Just bolder and better than probably any version I've ever had.

It doesn't change the game, it just etches it's name in the history books.

This is the fucking real thing, even if you don't think hefes can impress.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Probably the best wheat I've ever tasted, and I've tasted many. Notes of cinnamon/clove, and banana/apple next. My wife thinks it tastes "hoppy," though I don't get it. There is no reason whatsoever to ruin this beer with a lemon. It stands well on its own and its flavor is strong.

It's very cloudy even for an unfiltered wheat beer. It's a shame that we have such lame beer laws in our country that you can't buy it outside of Wisconsin. I'm lucky enough to live about 35 minutes' drive from the Wisconsin border, and it's well worth the trip.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

With an eagerly anticipated pour and a quick swirl of the bottle, the Dancing Man shows a pulpy, hazy, thick-looking, golden peach body with a thicker, marshmallowy, off-white head. Good lacing. Nose is big and full of banana esters, real bubble gum, cloves, yeast, and banana cream pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Amazingly good smelling hefe.

Toasted wheat bread greets the tongue. Fruity, banana-y esters come on strong with hints of clove. Banana cream pie sweetness and tropical fruits round out the palate. Herbal hop bitterness hums in the background providing some check for the sweetness. Yeasty, banana bread batter and herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Full-bodied, with a velvety smooth mouthfeel. An utterly fantastic strongish hefeweizen that goes down way too easy. Another New Glarus winner!

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

12 OZ. Bottle poured into a pint glass:

A: Pours golden and hazy with a nice thick white head. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising to the top.

S: Bananas, cloves and wheat, a great trifecta of aromas. Bananas less subtle than the clove but tied in nicely with the wheat.

T: Crisp and clean. Clove flavor really comes to the front more than any thing else, IMO. Bananas and cinnamon meld together to round out a very balanced beer. Simple yet complex in that it makes my mouth believe it is tasting more than there is in there.

M: Light and bubbly. Slightly sticky retention on my lips and tongue leeaves a nice residual effect for the next sip to wash over.

D: I could drink this beer easily everyday, if only I could get my hands on more. I would make it point to stock up on this and maybe make it my go to beer, alas not available in our great state of Illinois without a road trip!!

Overall, this is a fantastic beer from a great brewing co. Hefeweizen made the way it should be, simple and very drinkable yet interesting enough to keep you coming back for more. Highly reccommended.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Another treat in my Hudson trip. Very affordable. Was priced at something like $2.09 a bottle at Casanova's.

Poured into my Surly tulip (the Weizen glasses where all dirty). This one is a hazy orange-gold with a nice creamy off white head. The look is great so far. Lively carbonation and great retention and lacing from the head.

The nose is great! Lots of clove and coriander, and bananas! The perfect balance between the true German Hefeweizen and the american "Hopweizen" (thats what I call them at least). There is a little bit of hops in there, but not enough to turn you off at all.

Wow. One word? Spectacular. This one will give Weihenstephaner a run for it's money any day of the week. This is near perfection. It's much closer to a 5 than a 4.5. I get clove and coriander and lots and lots of Bananas. Maybe the most Banana tasting Hefeweizen I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. Just great. But for god sakes, where is the 7+% ABV?!?!?!?

Mouthfeel is amazing as well. Creamy and smooth, and no sign of the alcohol. Drinkability is perfect, but possibly dangerously so. There is no sign of the 7.2% ABV and this one will knock you on your ass if you take it too far.

Great brew. Just great. Climbed to the top of my domestic beer list for sure. Probably my second favorite Hefeweizen in the world, next to Weihenstephaner of course. Stands up with the best in the world and doesn't blink. Kudos New Glarus!

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. Three fingers of thick, fluffy, slightly off-white head dissipated very slowly. The color is a beautiful and hazy gold.

Smell: Heavenly hefeweizen to a tee. Yeast, banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum, orange, and lemon citrus. It is tinged with enough clove and pepper spice to tickle the nostrils. And, as New Glarus suggests, there is a little bit of cinnamon, too. It has my mouth watering.

Taste: The body is thick, bready, and oh so good. After the yeast, the palette immediately detects the perfect balance between the clove and pepper spiciness and the Bavarian goodness: banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum, and some citrus.

Drinkability: After the first sip I needed to take a moment, sit back, and marvel at the beautiful things humans can create — all of which were manifested in the pint glass I was holding. Holy cow. I think I will start dancing.

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance- Pours a nice straw yellow with a tightly laced big, white, and frothy head.

Smell- Very strong bubblegum and banana notes. Hints of cereal.

Taste and Mouthfeel- Awesome. This probably has more to-style-flavor than any other hefeweizen that I've had. Lots and lots of banana and bubblegum as in the smell. Just a touch of sour at the finish makes you thirsty for more. Very creamy.

Drinkability- Pretty much off the charts because it's so tastey. I'd never guess that this was 7.2%. This is the best Hefeweizen I've had to date, hands down.

4.91/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best American take on this classic German style I've had. Hits all the right notes. Cloudy pale orange color with a huge, thick white meringue head you could eat with a spoon. Spicy banana-clove smell. Some funky yeast. Taste is warm spices balanced with refreshing fruitiness and a bit of tart-sour yeast. Exuberant carbonation pleases the tongue.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I was not expecting anything special from this beer. Based on alot of things I was thinking of this as more of a filler in the beer tasting that was provided for me. While trying many New Glarus brews this one happened to be mine and many others favoritte. The review and description of this beer was quite easy and I would recommend it for all rookies to beer.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy orange. It looked as if all of the ingredients were trying to seperate as you stared at the glass more and more.
The smell was potent and obvious to the different fruits and clove that were present. I smelled bananas for the majority but you could also smell many different citrus.
Taste was incredible. I loved the flavor of this beer. The banana was extremely pleasing to the palate and i also enjoyed the cloves. Throughout the night people were refering to Dancing Man as "The Banana Beer".
Mouthfeel was pleasant as well. This beer was an amazingly drinkable beer that might be my new favoritte thing to drink as a refresher.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Review from my massive backlog, from early July 2010. I wish I had a more intricate tick, as I (obviously) think the world of this brew. I will elaborate next time I have the pleasure to crush a few of these.

Purchased at the brewery. Enjoyed at the farm in Monroe, WI.

A - It pours a beautiful hazy honey-gold hue, capped generous off-white foam. It is pretty much exactly what the style is supposed to look like.

S - The nose is replete with the classic notes of the style, and then some. Tropical, melon and kiwi notes mingle with the traditional bread and banana impressions. This stuff smells amazing: It is subtly sweet, complex, fruity, and substantial.

T - Besides the notion that this brew hits every stylistic checkpoint dead-on, my first impression is that of a huge banana muffin flavor. I am also getting some other delicious and delectably fruity notes, including various melon nuances as well as that of wild berries. This is outstanding stuff, without a doubt. The sweetness is just enough to facilitate a wealth of gustatory delights, the complex fruitiness in flavor and aroma is quite uncommon, and the substantive nature of the overall brew is truly satiating.

M - As with the other aspects of this brew, it is as good as it gets. The brew feels rich and velvety and is everything I could ask for.

D - This is not only the best beer of the style I have had, and the best New Glarus beer I have had; it reaches those milestones by a Secretariat-like margin.

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.
7.2% ABV

A - A massive and dense egg shell-colored head rises up from a timid pour and sticks around infinitely, fueled by insane amounts of carbonation. Hazy deep golden yellow in color, large sporadic clumps of sticky white lacing cling to the glass as the delicious beer empties.

S - Soft earthy clay and bananas trump clove spice and bubblegum in this yeast-ester-rich, aromatic hefeweizen that's backed perfectly by soft wheat and crisp pale malt.

T - A lemony citrus tingle dances on the tongue before the beer's earthy clay and banana yeast notes take over and, as with the aroma, clove spice and bubblegum trail timidly.

M - This smooth and creamy hefeweizen is a soft front to back with a medium-full body and lingering spiciness followed by notes of alcohol though retronasal olfaction.

O - Though robust for the style at just over 7% ABV, New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat can get down with the best of the German hefeweizens, making it a world-class classic in every sense of the word. Its aromatic explosion and rich flavor are only compounded by the intensely creamy body and smooth finish leaving this beer one of my all-time favorites of the style, without a close challenger.

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

After reading reviews on here I had been looking all over to find a six of this and finally did:

A - Pours a very thick head, one thickest I've seen for a wheat beer.

S - Amazing. Cloves, coriander, bananas and maybe some cinnamon all hit your nose.

T - Smooth. Real wheat favor with good balance of hops.

M - I wouldn't have known this beer has 7.2% abv if I didn't go on NG's website. It is hidden so well and the flavor sticks with you all the way through.

D - On a warm day I could drink this all day.

Best beer I have had from NG.

appearance: Pours a transparent golden yellow color with a beautiful two finger rocky head that leaves no lacing. This is a very nice looking Hefeweizen with probably one of the coolest looking head's I've ever seen.

smell: Amazing! A great mixture of banana, wheat, yeast, and some clove. Hefeweizens usually are very subtle smelling, and this one is no exception. However, Dancing Man is slightly more pronounced than others of the style and is the best smelling Hefe that I've ever had the privilege to smell.

taste: Bananas, wheat, yeast, clove, and a kiss of some baking spices (could be nutmeg or cinnamon). This beer tastes amazing. All of the elements work so well together. Hands down the best Hefeweizen I've ever had.

mouth: Very light bodied with some slight carbonation. Very very smooth. Goes down very easily. I could drink this all day (or at least try...)

overall: Wow. I don't want to over-hype this beer, but for a person who has been severely unimpressed with many Hefeweizens in the past this beer changed my mind. It looks, smells and tastes amazing. I just wish I had more of it.

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a big, thick head on a cloudy amber body. Perfect. Smell of cloves, banana and spice, all of which came through very well in the taste. Add in just the right amount of fruitness. Perfect and perfect. I typically like a lemon in my wheats, but this was so good it didn't need it. Carbonation and "thickness" were, what else, perfect. I'd been waiting months to get my hands on this, and the wait was worth it. Everything about this brew is perfection. Everything is absolutely spot on for the style, extraordinary how good this was. Not only the best american version of a hefeweizen, but this ranks right up among the world's best. Perfection.

EDIT- Been loving this for years (!) now, and still the best in the world. At the end of each summer, I load up (several cases) and enjoy throughout the winter, as it holds extremely well (aside from a rise in carbo and alc %). I typically enjoy my last bottle well into the following summer.

Aroma: (12/12)
Dancing Man Wheat is a Hefeweizen, the bottle states it is a "true Hefeweizen that is 100% bottle fermented". Just like the Hefe's in Germany I've had, the aroma is spot on with of banana and clove esters.

Appearance: (3/3)
A perfect straw color, hazy from the wheat and the bottling yeast. It poured very effervescently with bubbles racing to the top. A quick swirl brings back the head for a few minutes. Laces well.

Flavor: (19/20)
Oh, wow! The aroma brings me back to Germany with its spot-on aroma; the flavor does exactly the same. Great banana flavors, wheat malt present and there is a little tartness on the finish; perfect!

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
A nice medium body, as most Hefe's. As noted earlier, a little tartness on the back end, like true German Hefeweizens.

Overall Impression: (10/10)
This is by far the best American brewed Hefeweizen that I have ever had, not even close! Summit, Schell's, Flying Dog, Shiner and many others haven't even sniffed the level of perfection that New Glarus has created here! Brings me back to Munich!

TOTAL: 49/50