Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 07-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dancing Man Wheat Alström Bros

NSK79, Jun 20, 2013

MathNut, Sep 19, 2013

XmnwildX12, Dec 11, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a golden amber color with a sizable, creamy, off white head that dissipates in a couple minutes, leaving light, pillowy lacings.

aroma is fruity and malty, with wheat malt mainly, and light notes of citrusy hops and sweet undertones. the aroma is very rich for a hefe.

taste is full of banana, lemon, and orange flavors, along with wheat malt as a base and a bit of citrusy hops upon finishing. finishes quite smooth and mellow, with residual wheat malt and citrus in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a lightly tart and sweet character, along with a candy-like finish with a residual sugary feel.

drinkability is decent. this is a rich hefe, with a rather sweet profile and sugary finish. the citrus and banana flavors are quite strong, without much malt to back them up. not well balanced, but worth a try.

botham, Aug 14, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz. poured into a weizen-esque glass on 07/21/2011. Bottle code 1531 = about month and a half old.

Pours golden with a big, creamy white colored head. Appropriately hazy. The head retention is average for the head size, but the lacing looks good. Smells very good --- complex, but refreshing. Bready sweet with notes of clove spice and perhaps lemon? Unmistakable cinnamon pops up soon enough. Very nice!

Refreshingly sweet, with ample fruitiness but unfortunately not a hint of tartness :/ Oddly, I find this beer more bitter at the back than I'd like a hefeweizen to be, and yet the finish is borderline cloying. Fault on two counts in my opinion. Yet, nothing is offensive about it and I will certainly deem it above average.

I am digging the feel of this beer. Although it seems to be on the heavier side of hefes, that's the way I like most of my beers. Carbonation is present but is not enough to tackle the residual sweetness.

Overall, a good hefeweizen and especially so when fresh. However, if I had to choose between US brewed hefes, I will take Kellerweiss over this one.

Note: Originally I had given this beer a 4/5 on the Overall; however, having checked the ABV, I have to slash it down to 2.5 (slightly below average). 7.2% ABV! Seriously?! Why? And yes, I WILL take Kellerweiss any day.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 3.5/5; Mouthfeel 4.5/5; Overall 2.5/5

tewaris, Jul 22, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy golden color with some heavy carbonation. The wheat smell is evident immediately, but is not overpowering. Not a ton of flavor, some sweet apples stuck in there which were a nice surprise. Definitely a nice session beer.

billyzoom666, Dec 21, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from bottle into my Duvel tulip.

Huge 3 finger white head on your typical golden white body, head doesn't last long, almost no lacing. Nose is slight with wheat malts, not much else. Mouth is carbonated, taste is sweet, almost nutra-sweet. Not too different from most hefe's I've tried flavor wise. Kind of boring, especially next to the crack'd wheat. Drinkability is there if you like hefe's, but here is really a style I'm not typically in the mood for. I think I'll stick with my Live Oak when I am in the mood. Thanks to Taturbo for the NG's.

ballewblake, Apr 18, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -14%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a thick foamy white 1" head that slowly faded to a thin layer in the middle,thick along the edge glass.

S- First smell is light sweet orange zest.Second smell is bubblegum and banana with a nice clove background.

T-Citrus taste is slightly bitter upfront but leaves a tart/yeast taste similar to other Hefe/Wheat brews.Nice dry wheat finish.

M- Light to medium bodied very crisp mouthfeel.Almost too much carbonation.

D-It is a very drinkable beer and at 7.2% it is appropriately named!

twbrewer, Nov 04, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun stylized label art and iconic branded gold-and-green pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!). Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given the brewery and this beer's current rating (94). Apparently this is the third highest rated hefeweizen on the site currently (ignoring those with only a few reviews). I'm surprised the ABV is as high as it is given it's a hefeweizen. I can confirm the style but not the ABV per the label. I don't have a weissbierglas here in low altitude Austin, so I'm serving it into Cantillon stemware.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The head does rise slowly upon removal of the cap, eventually mushrooming out of the bottle.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Nice soft smooth silky complexion. Nice fluffy creaminess and good thickness. Fairly frothy. Head retention is quite good if the beer really is 7.20% - about 6-7+ minutes. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a quasitransparent translucent yellow-orange of good vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Plenty of carbonation bubbles suggest adequate carbonation. It appears much more filtered than I anticipated; I thought it'd be a lot hazier - on par with traditional paragons of the style. For a bottle conditioned unfiltered hefeweizen, it's looking mighty clear.

Overall, it looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Plenty of clove and banana up front as well as the obligatory wheat. Light floral hops are present too, but seem to have minimal presence. Cilantro. Clean barley. The clove is a bit stronger than I'm used to for a hefeweizen. I get cinnamon, but only because I'm looking for it; I wouldn't notice it unprompted. It's also got a healthy presence of clean German yeast with a fair amount of biscuity character. Light citrusy esters throughout, but sadly orange peel can't be found among them. In terms of personal preference, I'll take an orange peel hefeweizen over a banana/clove hefeweizen any day of the week, but it's still an appealing aroma and I'm excited to try it. It's also somewhat dry whilst still inviting the drinker in.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: It's got a nice wheat body and is cleanly fermented by the Bavarian yeast. High attenuation is evident. Ample clove and banana throughout but especially up front. A dash of cinnamon, I guess, but it's not really that strong or evocative. If I reach I find green apple, clean barley, and some vague fruity esters (e.g. papaya/apricot). A touch of lemon, sure. I like it.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through - quite a feat at 7.20% (if this really is that high).

To be honest, I really hoped for more complexity and subtlety. The hefeweizen is one of the hardest styles to pull off in my opinion; it's just four ingredients and pure finesse, demanding careful balance and excruciatingly difficult subtlety. But this beer from New Glarus doesn't bring enough to the table. It's ultimately a pretty simple hefeweizen and while I like it, it lacks the nuance of the style's paragons. Some orange peel would be lovely. The wheat doesn't seem to be as full-flavoured and deep as it should be. Maybe Wisconsin wheat just can't compete with Bavarian wheat?

Mf: Refreshing and smooth, with a great balance of dryness and wetness - dry enough to coax out the flavours a bit more, but wet enough to remain refreshing and quenching. Well-carbonated; bottle fermentation was a great choice. Good body and presence on the palate. A biteen too thick for a hefeweizen, but I guess that enables them to bury the alcohol presence. It complements the flavour profile well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it. Very approachable.

Not oily, hot, gushed, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: Quite drinkable, especially for the abnormally high ABV. This may be the highest ABV hefeweizen I've had? It hides it quite well; I'd guess it was about 5.5% if I tried it blind. I'm envious of anyone who has ready access to 6-packs of this, and if I was one of them I'd definitely pick it up frequently, but frankly it's just not up to par with the best traditional offerings of the style. As much as I love New Glarus, the Germans do this style best. That said, I already want another and I'd happily get a keg of this for a party. I'd recommend it to friends. Oddly, I actually prefer New Glarus' kristalweizen. This is certainly one to try if you come across it.

Thanks to Duff27 for the opportunity to try this!

B

kojevergas, Oct 01, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -14%

Pours a hazy gold yellow color with a typically large hefeweizen head.

Aroma contains clove, cinnamon, and vanilla balanced with a great amount of twangy wheat malt. It's full and potent, but feels like it could be just a touch fresher.

Flavor has a large amount of wheaty twang with a slightly buttery flavor. Wheat and bread flavors come through as well as a touch of medicinal wheat on the finish. This beer is close to being really good, but it has a few flaws. It's high ABV makes it a little cloying, but I like the increased potency of the nose.

jeffthecheff, Nov 17, 2010