Organic Revolution - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: getch on 11-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Organic Revolution Alström Bros
Arbitrator

1.43/5  rDev -59.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks mattafett!

A: Pours a hazy orange body with a half-pinky finger of off-white head. Poor retention, spotty lace.

S: Weak aroma; some grass and white corn is about all I can detect.

T: Pale malt, mostly. Some light grassiness to it. I don't know if the beer is old or what, but there's just no flavor.

M: Light-medium viscosity, but the flavor is so weak -- watery at best -- that it can't be argued to have any presence at all.

D: The lack of flavor in this one made me throw it out. Not offensive, just totally unsatisfying. An odd miss for New Glarus.

07-15-2010 22:01:36 | More by Arbitrator
Chugmonkey

1.68/5  rDev -52.4%

Beautiful white head and golden color. Heard great things and was so stoked to try this one. Yuck. Hard to describe, but I'll try: tasted like an old barn full of damp hay on a super hot humid August evening.

I tried so hard to like, but every sip just left me puzzled on what this was supposed to be. No bad lingering aftertaste, but no clue where they were going with this concction? Pale Ale means some nice hoppyness to me and this just tasted like stale wet vegetable matter, ugh. Weird cuz I love every other NGBC brew I've encountered.

06-24-2008 15:40:54 | More by Chugmonkey
ibashmuck

1.7/5  rDev -51.8%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. A fan of the fine work they do at New Glarus, I was relatively excited about this version of a pale ale. Sadly, I walked away woefully disappointed. Color was nothing too special, somewhat generic "ale gold". Smell was mostly uninspiring, hops the dominant scent. The first taste was too bitter for me, and continued drinking did nothing to change that. Though not a huge fan of "bitters", I can stand a fairly light to moderate "bite" so long as the beer taste is still evident. But this just had nothing going for it. Bummer.

12-28-2007 15:53:04 | More by ibashmuck
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

2.33/5  rDev -34%

From a brown 12oz bottle - Pours a cloudy pale yellow/orange with a slight head and carbonation. Smells of sweet malts and barley with mild hop presence. First sip is sweet bu a tad chemical cleaner like. Finishes slightly bitter. Decent mouthfeel that is under carbonated. I can't get beyond the kitchen cleaner like taste.

11-01-2008 21:10:28 | More by ATLbeerDog
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

2.33/5  rDev -34%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a clear, golden brown color. Two-finger head of white foam. Retention is pretty good. Lacing is spotty, but decent.

The nose is very light. Some grass, maybe some corn, and a light floral hint.

Tastes of corn and barley notes. Light hints of grass and maybe some malts. Hint of hops, lightly. Ends with a weird, bitter twang, that is slightly off-putting.

Light and crisp.

If I liked macros, I think that I might like this one more. As it is, I don't really like it much, at all. I don't think I'll be having this one again.

03-05-2009 03:48:09 | More by coldmeat23
OWSLEY069

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours a clean yellow/ golden color with a small white head. In the aroma, a small lager-ish dryness. In the taste, a dry lager-ish feeling and somewhat like icky straw. A smooth mouthfeel and a dry straw like aftertaste. Kind of homebrew-ish, session beer, ok, but that is about it.

01-03-2008 16:06:00 | More by OWSLEY069

01-17-2012 21:18:13 | More by Jerktookmyname
climax

Missouri

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Note: Organic means nothing to me, as I see everything that usually goes into beer (any decent beer) to be organic anyways...

It poured a caramel amber color, bright and cloudy. The head was small and faded to a film and some spots.

I've had this one before and wasn't particularly impressed, and this segment may be why. Tinny and artificial, two things that don't come to mind when one thinks "organic", dominated any respectable flavors. It had distracting hints of chlorine and aluminum can flavors that were only slightly challenged by some sourness, grass, dirt, and sweet fruit.

The flavor, again, seems inorganic if anything, perhaps it's because I'm battling the beer's name, but I'm really not impressed. Gummy bears, sugar, and a few other unrecognizable randoms make up a flavor that's forgettable. Not a real pale ale.

The feel is relatively light, with a satisfying bit from the carbonation. If you like the taste, it's an easy drinker, if you don't... it's easy to drink fast or even easier to give to your yuppy friends. Come on New Glarus.

07-30-2010 00:58:30 | More by climax
JDV

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle courtesy of Iowaherkeye. Thanks man!
Pours a nice yellowish color with a moderate lasting whitish head. Smell is pleasant sweet malt, and rather fresh. Taste is somewhat sweet up front followed by a bit of an unpleasant metallic or "organic" flavor. Kind of dull and flavor falls off in the finish, along with a strange unappealing flavor. Perhaps that's the hops? Doesn't strike me as a pale ale. Drinkable, but not great.

06-30-2008 21:58:39 | More by JDV
RJUGA03

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

A- It is a hazy orangy yellow color with a wheat snow white head leaving little lacing.

S-Clean and wheatlike.

T-On the initial draw I noticed it was very wheaty and it slid into a tongue tingling hopped finish.

M-Light with a frothyness at the end.

D-Good, but I wouldn't restrict myself to only organic products.

08-31-2009 06:27:24 | More by RJUGA03
billyzoom666

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

This pours a great golden caramel color. You can see sediments floating throughout the beer. A nice evenly distributed head and some great lacing on this thing. I'm getting nothing on the smell. Maybe a little bit of sweetness. Taste is just...bland. I get a little bit of an alcohol bite believe it or not, but there's nothing here. I like the way it feels coming across the tongue and in my mouth, this feels like something I should like. You could put down a ton of these, but I wouldn't want too. If Spotted Cow is the gateway micro for people that drink macros, then this is the same thing....but a lot worse. I love the brewery, hate the beer. I'll keep buying your product guys (even this one, as my wife likes it), but I'm hoping for better!

03-11-2010 23:29:57 | More by billyzoom666
Onenote81

2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a deep cloudy goldish orange with a large foamy head on top. This retains well and leaves excellent lacing. Smells of malty grains that were dipped in hop juice. Smells good.

I was excited to try this as it's one of my favorite styles and one of my favorite breweries, but the taste on this one fell a bit short. Tastes of minute corn mixed with raisins; hop bitterness is not balanced as I would like it, and it finishes a tad sour. New Glarus missed the mark on this organic APA.

12-19-2008 17:14:48 | More by Onenote81
happygnome

2.93/5  rDev -17%

a: pours a nice golden color with about a half inch of head that dissapears not too fast but when it does leaves a lot of lacing
s: grassy hops, maybe a few citrusy hints bready grain malts, very nice very inviting
t: grassy and citrusy hops in the intial taste followed by bready malts
m: light to medium bodied beer with average amount of carbonation

overall, this doesnt really taste like a apa, it has more crispness to the flavor and aroma, and not as much hoppiness however this is a very nice sessionable beer, but could get better for less $

12-06-2007 02:59:50 | More by happygnome
jwinship83

2.93/5  rDev -17%

A- golden yellow with a finger of white quickly disappearing head that leaves little to no lacing behind.

S- faint odor of hops, a little bit of lemon, and not much else. this one seems pretty bland.

T- grainy and lemony. very lightly hopped. something weird and artificial tasting in the aftertaste.

M- medium bodied and pretty crisp. maybe a bit too much carbonation.

D- meh, i could take it or leave it. one bottle is plenty. wouldnt want another. this one wasnt displeasing, its just rather boring and that weird aftertaste isnt very desirable. not one of new glaruls' best efforts.

11-07-2008 04:23:12 | More by jwinship83
Larrytown

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

It pours brownish-orange with a light head that fades quickly. Minimal lacing. There's some vague earthiness in the nose, but not much else.

The taste isn't bad, but I'm surprised to see it classified as an APA. I'm noticing very few hops. It's got some decent malt taste, but nothing special. It's pretty watery in the mouth too.

Seems like it might be refreshing, but it's so thoroughly average that I'd probably move on to something else before going back for a 2nd bottle.

I applaud the experimentation with the organic ingredients, but it just doesn't do much for me.

07-05-2008 19:50:06 | More by Larrytown
blackearth

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Purchased from the Hilltop Brewery in New Glarus, WI. Pours a cloudy-yellow grapfuit colored body with a white head the quickly fades. Aroma is of fruity, yeasty esters. Light to medium bodied with a sweet subtle citrus and medium malt flavor. There is a slight hop bitterness in the finish, but not "assertive" as the label states. Clearly this is no longer a hoppy pale ale since no hop aroma is detectable. Plus I was informed at the brewery that the recipe has moved away from a Pale Ale since its inception. Okay, but nothing special.

08-26-2009 23:42:13 | More by blackearth
morimech

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a slightly hazy copper with a very thin head. Next to zero head retention and almost no lacing is left on the glass.

Aromas of bready malt and some earthiness from the noble hops.

Taste is similar with a light semi-sweet malt base and a slight hop earthiness and spiciness. I question the use of noble hops in this beer. If you use them you better bring it. I have had pilsners more hoppy than this beer. All around it is a very mild beer and maybe a good gateway beer for some people.

Has a thin body with a low carbonation.

This APA is about as average as you can get. I believe the ABV is also above 6% which is also surprising and limits the amount one wants to drink. I guess it gets scores as high as it does purely from the organic aspect. I could care less, I want solid flavor and a well made beer.

07-06-2008 19:46:08 | More by morimech
BeerBelcher

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

This beer isn't bad, but there really isn't anything I can say to strongly recommend it; there aren't any really distinctive or unique flavors and I thought I detected a faint flavor defect or two. Organic Revolution doesn't do anything to change my impression that in general the quality (or at least degree of "interesting") organic beers remains distinctly below that of non-organic beers.

Pours a thick gold lager-color with a very tacky white head that is loosely packed into the top of my glass. Appearance of the beer's body is a bit disconcerting - it has an oily-swirlyness to it. Aroma is only slightly hoppy, with some fruity vinous-ness. Flavor is balanced, but a bit dull with a very faint hoppiness. Some vinous-ness and diacetyl are evident to me.

12-01-2007 20:11:50 | More by BeerBelcher
cokes

Wisconsin

Pours to a blurry honeyed hay color sporting a patchy, large bubble lacing.
It noses mostly of wet hay bales and dry grass, with tracer elements of pear, honey, and lime rind.
Malt issues a fairly sturdy blanket of graham cracker and honey pears, as it meanders grainier and dryer. A touch of milky yeast clots the middle, as the hallertauers conclude things with a herbal tang and grassy dryness. Malt seems to reform on the close with lingering stale honey, and a vague and strange Scotch-like sense of girth, despite alcohol never entering the picture.
It's medium body present as unfit, and the carbonation sluggish, to allow this to sit unduly long in the mouth. This should be a drinker, and it isn't. It's not a chore either, but it seems a bit amateurish coming from New Glarus.

02-14-2008 07:22:31 | More by cokes
brandoman63

11-30-2011 03:17:41 | More by brandoman63
ThaBobfather

Pours a very cloudy golden color with bright, bleachy head.
Smells very weakly, almost of apple cider.
Tastes very bland. Some grain taste here and there, maybe some hops.
The finish is crisp into a bitter taste on the back end.
Drinkable, but not a great taste. Interesting brew, but not good.

05-13-2009 18:09:42 | More by ThaBobfather
DaPeculierDane

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Described to me by Deb Carey as a hoppy, organic German Pale Ale. After drinking a six pack I have pretty mixed feelings about the beer. I enjoy the grassiness and strength of the hops but don’t particularly like the honey/candy like mixed up malt flavor. I like the carbonation but don’t appreciate rather muddled sweet character of the body. The beer lacks a crispness and cleanliness that I associate with these kinds of hops. Appearance wise the beer isn’t much to write about but it’s not bad either at a pale amber and highly carbonated body with a thick white froth that quickly dissipates. There is some problematic boozy sweetness in the flavor too but overall the beer isn’t bad. It’s just not very good either. I’ll pass on buying anymore.

11-28-2007 18:24:59 | More by DaPeculierDane
scaliasux

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance - Medium gold. Clear and fairly bubbly. Short white head. What's there is persistent.

Smell - Not especially strong. Light malt with a hint of hops.

Taste - Light malt quickly overshadowed by prominent grassy hops. I wouldn't call this unbalanced, but definitely to the hoppy side of balanced. Lots of flavor, but not my favorite category of beer.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium and crisp.

Drinkability - Not a bad APA - definitely more approachable than many big APA's. I doubt, however, that this one's setting too many people on fire.

03-10-2009 01:56:05 | More by scaliasux
RTrain12

12oz. Bottle poured into pint glass

A: pours a clear golden yellow with a 1/4" white head that faded quickly. Some visable carbonation. Lacing was visable threw the entire beer.

S: not a whole lot going on, but picking up some yeast.

T: The bottle says ale, but I'm thinking pilsner. But BA classifies it as a APA. Picking up some malt, that's about it. I love NG, but this one seems alittle watery.

M: Thin bodied. Little carbonation, maybe due to not being fresh. Finishes clean.

D: this is a ok beer. Wish I bad the chance to drink it fresh. I think they stopped brewing this beer and replaced it with Moon Man. Know that's a great APA! That review will be posted soon!

07-31-2010 19:27:36 | More by RTrain12