Thumbprint Imperial Weizen - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Weizenbock |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: EliteDigger on 02-11-2008

Do not waste time attempting to box this brew into some esoteric guide to styles. This is Dan's bold creation. His passion for unfiltered Weiss collides with Cascade Hops inventing our Imperial Hefe-Weizen. Dry hopping boldly rules over Wisconsin red wheat and our special strain of Bavarian yeast. At almost 20 O.P. this is the super mac daddy of Weiss beers. Decoction mashing was followed by excessive dry hopping to create a fierce onslaught of clove, cinnamon and citrus all in this living beer. Don't bother waiting to enjoy - the time is now.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Imperial Weizen Alström Bros

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass. No freshness info but ummagum picked it up at the brewery last month so it's fresh. It was a completely cloudy yellow color with lots of carb streams. It had a 3 finger head that slowly settled into a constant, thick foam cap. Great sheeting with lots sticking. Not sure I could ask more from a hefe.

The aroma was excellent. It's imperial so there is some alcohol esters in there but also a lot of clove and overripe banana like a std hefe plus some cinnamon and citric hops. Excellent sniffer. The taste was just as amazing. Has the traditional hefe elements like banana, wheat and clove and is well balanced with the citric hops and spice. I could drink this all day. Mouthfeel was medium with tickling carbonation and great aftertaste.

Overall, an exceptional brew and right up there with their Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart. Highly recommend. This goes down smooth and with a ton of flavor. Not avail in here TX, dammit, but got one from ummagum. If avail near me, this would be in heavy, heavy rotation. [H;Y] (1,065 characters)

Aptly named. This Imperial Weizen is amazing. Banana esters and cloves stand out and mix well with the citrusy character of the yeast. The Higher ABV adds a prominent sweetness and creates a great balance to a beer that could easily be off balance.
Though it's a strong beer it's hard not to want to enjoy more than one! Surprisingly light body and very refreshing! WoW!!! Go go New Glarus! :) (394 characters)

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a weizen glass
Thanks to dirtylou for including this as an extra in our trade.

The beer poured a turbulent, yellow ochre color with a four-finger, bubbly, rocky, sea foam head that faded to a thick, resilient cap. Lots of odd-shaped blocks of lacing stuck along the sides of the glass.

The aroma was intense. Super sweet and spicy with a distinct hefeweizen yeast quality. Bubblegum notes came through strong, along with clove, coriander and citrus fruits.

The taste was very similar to the aroma. Sweet and amazingly smooth. Bubblegum, banana, spices (clove and coriander) and doughy malts were noticeable along with a lemony, wheaty smack. Candied orange peel came through as well. The finish was crisp, spicy (clove was very apparent) and citric. Slightly tart and a touch boozy (orange liqueur came to mind). As the beer warmed, the booziness became more pronounced but still remained in check. The lingering aftertaste was citrusy, slightly dry and crisp.

The mouthfeel was amazingly lush, smooth and creamy. Full bodied for the style and somewhat syrupy with a fine, mild carbonation.

Drinkability was outstanding. This beer was not only amazingly quaffable and refreshing, but it also kept me on my toes with an array of complex flavors. Furthermore, I was simply astounded when I discovered that the ABV on this was 9.6%.

Imperial Weizen came through in a huge way. Simply put, this is as intense (and as good) as a hefeweizen gets. Another outstanding product from a brewery that has never failed to impress me. (1,567 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Dan and Deb Carey are officially WI Beer Gods! They continue to push the envelope and just when they get you thinking they are in a niche, they come out with something new and unexplored. New Glarus is a textbook U.S. craft brewery that puts out knockout beers of all styles. I had heard rumors of this beer back in January and couldn't wait to score some. This pours out a beautiful, murky orange with a super sticky snow white head. The lacing was impressive to say the least. In terms of appearance, this could stand up to any Hefe. The aroma holds a powerhouse of hops accented with the typical clove-like banana hefe roots. These hops are not subtle in any way and fill your nose with a resinous, fruity, cascade punch. I am very surprised how well the hops interact with the strong bavarian yeast. The taste is just as fantastic as the aroma and body. An explosion of piney hops open up for a big chewy malt body with a spicy-yeast finish. This combination of flavors is so powerful, yet extremely balanced. If the hops rounded out a bit more to bring through the malt, this would be damn near perfect. The apparently high ABV is nowhere to be found and this beer could definitely be a staple in my fridge. This beer tricks your beer tastebuds; one second you are drinking an IIPA, the next a Hefe. I have not had a hoppy beer that has gotten me this excited since Chouffe Houblon. I hope this beer sticks around until summer! (1,432 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Tried the beer for the first time last night and being a long time fan of New Glarus and wheat beers in general my hopes were pretty high. Imperial Weizen pour with a very tall & lasting head, had to wait about 5 minutes before I could really dig into the beer. Wonderful taste - to me there were citrus tones, clove tones, and just good all around flavor. This is a "limited edition" beer but I really hope they bring it back again in the future. (447 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Poured into a weizen glass, a magnificent two and a half fingers of frothy, unmovable head crown a hazy orange/gold body. Lacing is stalactite-like in its tenacity. Looks like the gold standard for wheat beers.

The NG house weiss yeast is in full effect as gorgeous aromas of clove and bubblegum surround themes of clover, apricots, cinnamon and honey. Subtle citrus hops lace the finish. Can I give it a "6"?

Oh, it's so damned good! Bread-y start runs headlong into the wheat-driven, lemony twang with a swift pine kick from the Cascade hops. Clove and grass intermingle to frame an alternately zesty yet rich body. Damn!

A shade thinner than I want from a perfect hefe (although I want to give it a perfect score so badly!), although everything else lines up just right. This is something I would drink everyday if the cost weren't higher (oh, and if they actually brewed it again). Although brewing shouldn't be seen as a contest, the boys at 3F's would likely hear the Gumballhead accolades die down a bit if more people got their hands on this treasure from New Glarus. Flat-out world class. (1,100 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.3%

Let me preface this by saying that this is easily one of the best beers I have ever had of any style. I traded for a couple of these a while back, and just last night had gotten around to try it. I was in the mood for something light on the body, but was hoping for a very full, and flavorful experience, and this was exactly what I received with this one. Very nice twelve ounce bottle, with the red foil unplugged wrapper over the cap. I pulled this one right out of the fridge and immediately poured it into my Terrapin snifter, which gets the brunt of all use from me and proceeded to enjoy it over the course of the afternoon.

Appearance - The pour was wonderful. As a decanted it into the glass, a wonderful two finger high head of sticky white foam rose up from it. Some really nice retention here as this thing was literally going nowhere. It eventually turned rocky, and then a short time after that managed to crater away the top half of it, but even as it finished there was some foam left in the glass and a more then adequate side glass presentation. The streams of carbonation that could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass only served to reinforce this fact, and when combined with the head, made a very active looking beer indeed. The color was a deep, sun dripped yellow, with an enormous amount of haze and cloudiness to it. I was really quite please with how big this looked overall, and needless to say was quite impressed with the overall look of this beer.

Smell - The aroma was to die for. As soon as I took that first whiff I new I was going to be getting into trouble with this one, and I would soon find out I was very right indeed. The first whiff was loaded down with sweet lemongrass infused hop notes. Nice and light, nothing heavy coming through on this one at all. Underneath with delicate smells of banana and clove. You know a good Hefeweizen when you get this smell, and if you don't know what I am referring to, you probably have never had a good one! Evolving over time, the hops faded and the light grain, and wheat base came though and brought the banana and light clove flavor to the forefront. Very complex and satisfying, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Taste - The flavor followed suit beautifully, being extremely full and complex. The first note to come through the palate was the hops. Nothing distracting or heavy like a big IPA, rather, this was light and airy, a bright hop profile with the lemon flavor leading the charge here. Nothing too heavy about it at all. As you let this go by and expose the grainy underbelly of it, you come across a really nice bit of light yeasty flavors. Here comes that lovely light banana and peach flavor that I was looking forward. Not heavy at all, and more of a hint of it then anything else, but still very nicely done, with the flavor of clove wrapping itself around it and giving you that wonderful, light, earthy, bright flavor. This then faded and the hosp came back for one more go round, as the lemon flavor dried out the tongue and let the bitterness leave, letting you prepare for another sip to come through.

Mouthfeel - There was a very nice feel with this one as well. It was a little bit heavier then the standard for the style, but that is about what you would expect from an imperial Hefeweizen then couldn't you. Good carbonation never let it feel too heavy though and there was no real thinness or lightness to it at all, this was a really top notch beer by all accounts.

Drinkability - There was an outstanding drinkable factor to this one, and in fact I had no idea how strong this was until I looked it up. To say the alcohol in it was well hidden would be the understatement of the year. Maybe it could have been around seven percent and even at that level would be well hidden, but over 9% wow!. This was incredibly smooth and the flavors so deep and bright, I could have drank this one all night long without an issue, truly one of the best things I have ever served in my house.

Overall this was absolutely outstanding, and easily one of the best beers of any style I have ever had. There is something to say of a brewer taking a style like this and doing it right, that is no easy task for sure, but New Glarus has one me over with this one. Definitely a top notch beer and something that I would like to share with a certain person in the area, who may get a kick out of this one. If you can find it, seek this one out for sure! (4,468 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

Bottle served in a weizen glass

appearance darkish orange hued brew, with a creamy white head that just won't quit! absolutely lovely. gorgeous lacing as froth finally starts subsiding.

smells just like apricots. a bit of spiciness, and a hint of alcohol comes through too.

This one tastes incredible. I know the style should have a banana/clove taste, but I just taste an apricot or peachy flavor. it's strong, and delicious. a bit of bready yeast comes through. Spicy bitterness comes on towards the end, a product of the hops I assume, and a clean dry finish that leaves me wanting another drink.

Mouthfeel full and somewhat creamy, with a slightly dry puckering finish.

Overall drinkability is pretty high, although the obvious high ABV is the only thing keeping me from rating this as my first 5.0 review. It's just too strong to drink much of, but still, one of the best beers I've had in a long time. And definitely the best hefeweizen I've ever had. Believe the hype on this one, and get some before it's gone! (1,024 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Barely blurry ripe apricot with an impressive number of bubbles rising in stately fashion to a wonderful looking crown. The head is thickly frothy and is ridiculously rocky as it melts. It's also sticky, which leads to the formation of an eye-pleasing array of tenacious lace.

What a nose! Who would have thought that Imperializing a hefeweizen and then using a few tons of Cascade hops would result in something that smells this good? Well, okay, it stands to reason, but only in the hands of an extremely talented brewer. Loads of lemon citrusiness mingles with the more usual banana and clove esters. I can't wait to tip up the glass.

Imperial Weizen is dee-licious beer! Sorry for all the exclamation points, but this is damn good stuff. As one who loves American hops, big beer and expertly brewed hefeweizen, this Unplugged offering is right up my alley. It might have tasted even more vibrant right out of the hopper, but it's a definite gobsmacker right here and now.

The flavor profile includes sweet banana puree, orange peel, pink grapefruit peel, pink bubblegum, ground cloves and vanilla bean. The hefeweizen banan-o-meter is a palate pleasing 4.0/5.0. Purists will probably have a stroke, but the use of Cascade hops puts this remarkable ale over the top. Forget unplugged, this beer is electric!

For an ABV approaching double digits, there's almost no evidence of alcohol on the palate. This is a well thought out, masterful creation that Brauerei Weihenstephaner would have a hard time replicating. Assuming they'd even want to try.

The mouthfeel is perfect. It's full, silky smooth, fresh cream-like and plush without being the least bit heavy or sticky. There is nothing about it that I would change. Nothing... at... all.

Imperial Weizen is the finest Unplugged beer that I have ever had. It's also at least the equal of the legendary Wisconsin Belgian Red and is the best hefeweizen that has ever entered my glass. Sorry Germany, but Dan Carey has just kicked your collective asses all the way to Dusseldorf and back. This is an outstanding ale that begs to be brewed again. I'd love regularly, but will settle for annually. Wow! (2,157 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

So here I am with a New Glarus Unplugged Series brew. I felt pretty shafted that night not being able to taste this interesting concept beer, but upon opening the bottle I felt much better. When pouring this beer into the glass I noticed excessive foaming, caused by high carbon dioxide, which is actually preferred in a weiss beer. This beer has the usual banana/clove characteristics found in weisses, but interestingly enough there is a noticeable hop aroma to it, albeit faint. I guess dry hopping weisse beers with Cascade hops makes for a great balance of smell. I was truly impressed with how just a little hop aroma influenced this beer. The taste was not what I expected coming from an imperial-style beer. I was expecting a little bite from this, but would not be surprised if this was a sleeper. (Definition of a sleeper beer: a beer that will knock you on your ass because the brewer cleverly hides the alcohol with the perfect mix of brewing ingredients.) What did stick out the most with the taste was the sweetness of this brew and how the carbon dioxide affected it. This imperial weiss tickled my tongue with effervescence and left it coated with a malty sweetness. I know now why they say these styles of beer are preferred with high carbon dioxide. (1,267 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured into my Westmalle goblet. Has a thick foamy white head and a rich golden body. Has aroma of yeast, wheat, banana and light malt. Flavour is wheat and banana with a lttle malt and spice, primarily clove. Very tasty and reminds me of the good Bavarian Weizens. (265 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a hazy gold beer with a substantial persistant head. In appearance, it is the eptiome of hefeweizen. A residue of yeast encircles the bottom of the bottle. A faint fruity fermentation aroma (overripe banana) penetrates the head, and carries with it a hint of citrusy hops. The initial taste is sweet and desert-like but well support by citrusy hop flavors and bitterness that prevents the beer from cloying. The texture of the beer is slick and lucious, with some alcohol warming, but it also carries a slight carbonic bite. that helps clean the mouth out and ready it for the next sip. What I love about this beer is that it keeps you on your toes by presenting contrasting sensations that might seem to clash on paper but work well together in your mouth. It is a cross between a weizenbock and an IPA, an imperial version of NG's Crack'd wheat, which I believe I scored a perfect 5. Tonight, this beer doesn't quite merit perfection, but it deserves to be acknowledged as a thing of beauty. (1,001 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance - My god is this beautiful. Darker than a mere weizen. The head is over the top, an holds strong to the glass. Almost like a meringue pie.

Smell - It kicks you hard. This is wheat, that bannana clove from the good yeasts, and the tang of a really strong hint of alcohol.

Taste - I love it. I can tell you know there is not much out there like this. WOW.

mouthfeel - Strong, Powerful, and to the point.

Drinkability - I could have two, but then I would be too happy. (483 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours out into the haziest orange-to-yellow gradient you've ever seen. Huge, lasting head just hangs on the glass forever. This is hot.

I could smell banana the instant I popped the cap off, huge floral hops bouquette with pine and grapefruit taking over. The smell is very unique, entirely unexpected, but welcome. Great nose.

A little hops in the back of the flavor, not as dominating as the smell led me to believe. The flavor is mostly typical - banana, coriander, cloves, lots of citrus under the surface too, making way into more subtle spices, grapes and apples with a touch of cinnamon.

The body is thick and heavy, sticks to your mouth, there is a little carbonation going on too. Great warmth can be found as well.

Oh man, the Unplugged series of beers keep knocking my socks off time and time again. High quality and affordable, accessible and original. I'd drink this all of the time. (900 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Nuzzling up to perfection. What an uber hop weizen a la American style. Absolutely slammed the Belgians here. Poured with a huge foamy, frothy, off white head and great lace. Aroma is banana, yeast, bubblegum, malt, hop, Flavor is largely like nose, plus yeast bitterness leaps out along with sweetness of the malts and propelled by the alcohol. Body is outstanding and ditto carbonation- couldn't be exceeded. Finish is like flavor and lingers with diminishing presence to a point where I can't find the point only that I want another point. The occurance of excellence. (571 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Cloudy, golden, big head that left lots of lace

S: Very fruity, spicy, clove aroma

T: Sharp at front with substantial hop, then strong spice and big round malt. Complex and Excellent.

M: A series of persistent flavors that take a good time to disappear.

D: Great with food, and a fine drinking beer.

This is one of NG's unplugged triumphs, a terrific and unusual beer. The spiciness goes beyond what one normally expects of a weizen - cinnamon flavor, clove. Might be their own "special strain of Bavarian Weiss yeast." A fine beer. (540 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a big glass, the liquid is a semi cloudy dark gols with excellent carbonation. The head is huge big white and leave lots and lots of lace. Excellent looking brew

The smell is very good, rich spices, toasted banana, Yum

The taste is about as good as this style could get. I was starting to think that the style was a lost cause and that only average nice craft brews would come from it. Wow am I surprised. NG was able to capture the best of the Hefe style and magnify it.

The mouthfeel is very good. Thick body, not too sticky and good carbonation.

The drinkability is very good, I wish I was able to get more.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK (669 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

Pitches out an opaque, milky tangerine-gold body, with a buxom multiple-inch adornment of whole whipping cream, which only slowly recedes to trail filth down the sides of the glass.
The first several inhalations are straight-up Bubble-Yum Bubblegum. It's a common descriptor, but this honestly smells exactly fucking like it. After a minute or so, it separates, with the hops taking the fore with grapefruit, wrought iron, and blood, and a substantial backup of weizen yeasty traits of banana, clove, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and ginger. This is beyond uncommon smelling; it is damn near impossible.
A wheat bread maltiness spreads itself across the mouth first, appropriately enough. From this rather simple beginning the weizen yeast begins shooting firecrackers of banana bread, cinnamon, vanilla pod, clove, and lemon rind. Those are very typical disguises of wheat beers, but here, their essences are virtually distilled in their purity and their volume. They are hardly suggestions, rather, they are actually what the mouth experiences singularly and in full. Hops bring grapefruit and lime rind and rusted metal, but in a more modest fashion than the nose would suggest. Eddies of spiced rum permeate everything, but it never tastes explicitly alcoholic.
A dense, impermeable body is given levity by a carbonation that seems nearly manic at times. Those two opposites serve to create a beverage that drinks like cashmere, with its silken weight. It's power makes itself known (though not because it tastes raw or hot), and it's intensity does not allow for gulps or longish sessionability. Its merit and memorability are easily shown in a single bottle....or perhaps two.
New Glarus is renown for its fruit beers, but that should now be shifting, as they make a variety of some of the finest wheat beers available on the planet. This is one of them, and probably the best of the lot, thus far. It may be, in fact, New Glarus' crowning achievement.
Seek it. Now.

Update 5/26/08: After nearly 4 months, the hops have lost a bit of their bubblegummy and grapefruit juiciness and have beer partially replaced with aluminum, both in aroma and flavor. And the spiciness has dulled some Still an incredible beer, but a notch below when it was crushingly fresh. The moral here is that it probably isn't worth aging except for curiosity's sake....but it says that on the label, doesn't it? (2,393 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden orange, with head for days, nice lacing

Smell is nice citrus (orange, grapefruit), bubblegum, cinnamon, clove, a little banana. really complex smelling stuff.

Taste is WOW, banana, spice, cinnamon, citrus fruits, bubblegum, big orangeish tangerine note in the finish, slightly bittering.

Mouthfeel is medium full like a IIPA, heavily carbonated like a Weizen. Works really well.

Wow, What a nice complex beer. You just can not go wrong with this beer... Even if you do not like Wheat beers I can see you liking this. (540 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A careful pour still produces a huge fluffy head that lasts and lasts. The color is a murky golden-yellow, very peachy, with plenty of bubbles feeding the never-ending, bumpy head. The head continues to amaze, looking more like something on a soda float than a beer. Leaves big sedimentary layers of lace.

Aroma is largely banana, a good bit of sweet cream/butter, but also a kind of lemon-y citric element, plus a twang similar to that imparted by certain Belgian yeast strains. Mellow malts make up the background, but this is largely focused on banana and more exotic aromas not usually found in the style, but it totally works here.

My first sip and I'm thinking "ok, best New Glarus beer ever". This is freaking delicious. There's a creamsicle element that I can't shake, and I don't want to because it works. Banana slickness and flavor come through large, while an ever so slightly tart character works it's way into the finish and lightly puckering texture. I am also reminded of mango, lemonade, bubblegum and buttered popcorn jellybeans, while the soft, velvety caress of the mouthfeel is a pleasure. All the while, the wheat/yeast element is not lost--quite likely it's the artful combination thereof that explains why I'm getting such interesting, colorful flavors.

Dan Carey excels above and beyond when it comes to his wheat-focused beers. This and Dancing Man Wheat are the best New Glarus has to offer--in my humble opinion. It's a damn shame this is a one time only bottling, and a damn shame I didn't pick up more than one. I've finally enjoyed every beer I picked up at the brewery about 5 weeks ago, and this a fantastic note to end this little journey on. Please, Dan--unplug it year 'round! (1,716 characters)

12oz single, bought a 4 pack at steve's university

appearance: served in a bells tulip, hazy orange body with a huge white foam cap and fantastic lacing - quite the site to behold...dead sexy looking beer

smell: sweet bananas and cream, fresh citrus, clove and white pepper, hoppy and fruity, clean and refreshing

taste: wonderful! clean citrus hops and sweet banana carry the flavour profile in fantastic fashion...white pepper and clove provide a great compliment, abv hardly noticed until the aftertaste. Nice bubblegum kick - Great offering!

mouthfeel: clean and refreshing - a delight

drinkability: high (613 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep orangish straw color, not see through, but not quite solid either, large head that pushes out of the top of the glass, rocky and creamy. The aroma has citrusy hops right up front, oranges and grapefruit, some piney/resinous notes. Big hefe aromas are there though too, banana, cloves, lemony zest, some spicy cinnemon/nutmeg like notes. The taste reflects the aroma well. There is some noticable spicy alcohol, but that gets smoothed out quickly by the velvety malt that provides a substancial mouthfeel. The hops are amazing in this beer, citrusy and quite bitter, just a bit over the top, enough to balance the just a bit over the top malt, so it all works out in the end. There are some great flavors put together with the hefe yeast byproducts along with the citrusy hops.

Overall: allow me to gush about this beer and I will. I love hefes, and most wheat beers in general. I like hops, a lot. I like most "extreme" beers. This is all of those and I absolutely love it. One of my favorite, most memorable beers of all time. New Glarus, damn you for not having a year round wheat beer. You are like the kids on the playground who have the coolest toy but only share for like 5 minutes at a time. (1,204 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

An absolutely gorgeous coloured beer. A sun ripened orange shade with dulled clarity. A thin but fuzzy white line embraces the beer, hugging around its center.

The smell, to be quite simple about it, is big and bad-ass citrus: This is tangerine, that drives a motorcycle and lives by his own rules. This is mango that defied his parents and got a piercing and a tattoo in the same day, while skipping class. This is grapefruit that poked the dead body found behind the mayor's house with a stick ... there is no other way to put it, this is big, bad-ass citrus.

Actually, there are a couple other elements that must be mentioned. For one, this yeast is wonderful. It makes for a brilliant supporting cast to both the C-hops and the wheat malt. It seems to be both full of esters and full of phenols, if that is even possible. Second of all, I don't believe I've ever smelt wheat like this. It is crisp, fresh, and vivid - but seems toasted and caramelized. This, in every regard, smells amazing.

Whatever is true for the aroma, can also be said of the taste. This runs one end to the other a full spectrum of fruit flavours - peach, apricot, cantaloupe, melon, tart apple, grapefruit, tangerine, orange, lemon, and just a smack of traditional banana to finish it off. It's a rollercoaster through the wonderful world of exotic fruits with a base of wheat malt to keep you buckled in !

You would easily suspect this isn't your average wheat beer. The alcohol, for one, is a dead give away. Its presence, however, should only be expected along side these monstrously huge flavours of citrus, this field of hops, and this farm full of malts. Nothing is out of balance.

One sip - or smell - and you snap your fingers, exclaiming 'of course!' The characteristics of the hops pair wonderfully with those of the wheat. Credit for this harmonious ceremony, however, is due to this particular strain of yeast, without which I'm not sure this could come together so well.

I'll say it again - this is one bad-ass weissbeer.
It's James Dean, or John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. It's Pacino in Scarface, or Pesci in Casino.
This is James mother-#@*$ in' Bond ... (Sean Connery, of course.)
This is Christopher Walken ... ya, just pure Walken.

Regardless... C-hops and weiss beer done the American way - there may be no better creation. Big props to swoopjones for the bottle! (2,375 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured chilled from a bottle into a 14-ounce tumbler. Expansive head that slowly diminished into a rocky half-inch with little lace. Translucent blonde color.

Scents gush from the glass -- banana, a touch of cinnamon, strawberry twizzlers. Fantastic aroma.

Taste is complex. Big malt, wheat, Belgian trippel yeast. There's a hint of alcohol early on but the rush of flavor quickly hides it. A bit of grass/herb at the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, amazingly light for such a big beer, but not cidery. Interesting how brewer got the Belgian-style aroma with the mouthfeel of a Munich weissbier.

Overall, this beer steps on some boundaries. Then there's the high potency. New Glarus produces a lot of ho-hum mainstream beers, but its limited runs are often inspired. This could be the best one yet. (806 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Thick looking concoction of a muddled yellow/brown/orange tone. Bighugeass whipped creamy white topping. Lace is bountiful. Fantastic aroma. Huge weizen yeastiness blends with a citric blast of cascades and other weizen goodies (like banana and spice). The taste is big on the hefeweizen characteristics. The yeasty, doughy yeastiness provides substantial character while light banana and vanilla tones come and go. And the lemon character is fairly consistent throughout in a nonobtrusive way. The citric character that the cascade hops contribute just adds another level of brightness to an already bright tasting beer. If this beer started out with an OP of 20 (from the label, which I assume is "Original Plato"), then this beer is probably pushing 8-9% A/V, which is remarkable. I barely get the faintest hint of alcohol when drinking this. Mouthfeel is quite creamy and easy going, though the carbonation is quite vibrant. This is a hell of an accomplishment.

I hereby declare New Glarus as the best Weizen brewery in the country. I loved their Solstice back in the day (4.75). Went through a few cases of Dancing Man last summer (4.6). And the Black Wheat was exceptional as well (4.55). (1,196 characters)

Thumbprint Imperial Weizen from New Glarus Brewing Company