Thumbprint Imperial Weizen - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Imperial WeizenThumbprint Imperial Weizen

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Weizenbock |  9.60% ABV

Do not waste time attempting to box this brew into some esoteric guide to styles. This is Dan's bold creation. His passion for unfiltered Weiss collides with Cascade Hops inventing our Imperial Hefe-Weizen. Dry hopping boldly rules over Wisconsin red wheat and our special strain of Bavarian yeast. At almost 20 O.P. this is the super mac daddy of Weiss beers. Decoction mashing was followed by excessive dry hopping to create a fierce onslaught of clove, cinnamon and citrus all in this living beer. Don't bother waiting to enjoy - the time is now.

(Beer added by: EliteDigger on 02-11-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Imperial Weizen Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep orangish straw color, not see through, but not quite solid either, large head that pushes out of the top of the glass, rocky and creamy. The aroma has citrusy hops right up front, oranges and grapefruit, some piney/resinous notes. Big hefe aromas are there though too, banana, cloves, lemony zest, some spicy cinnemon/nutmeg like notes. The taste reflects the aroma well. There is some noticable spicy alcohol, but that gets smoothed out quickly by the velvety malt that provides a substancial mouthfeel. The hops are amazing in this beer, citrusy and quite bitter, just a bit over the top, enough to balance the just a bit over the top malt, so it all works out in the end. There are some great flavors put together with the hefe yeast byproducts along with the citrusy hops.

Overall: allow me to gush about this beer and I will. I love hefes, and most wheat beers in general. I like hops, a lot. I like most "extreme" beers. This is all of those and I absolutely love it. One of my favorite, most memorable beers of all time. New Glarus, damn you for not having a year round wheat beer. You are like the kids on the playground who have the coolest toy but only share for like 5 minutes at a time.

dfried, Apr 15, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow what a beer. The funny thing is that I had to go to someone from Canada to send me this gem. Thanks biegaman. You are a trading GOD!

A: Pours a nice light cloudy straw yellow color. The head is beyond huge. A quick pour had this one bubbling over. The head died down nicely but a huge pad of Hershey kiss shaped foam lingered in the middle for quite sometime. Sheet after sheet of lacing is left behind as I drink this one.

S: Ah, this one smells of summer. Tons of fresh cracked clove, over ripe bannana, and yeasty rolls. Beneath the typical weizen aromas hints you find grapefruit, corriander, and cinnamon.

T: Unplugged no doubt. They swug for the fences with this one and it went upper deck out of the yard my friend. Wow I have never had such a rush of flavors in a wheat beer. Big bold banana flavors married with clove. Hints of citrus and pineapple poke thru along with cinnamon. The ABV is high, but the alcohol taste is very muted. This is the best tasting wheat beer ever made. I dare you to find something better.

M: As light as they come for this ABV. Nice and bubbly, creamy almost.

D: Steller. If I could get a case of this beer I would fly to Wisconsin today to pick it up. Absolutely wonderful.

Overall: New Glarus knows how to brew no doubt about it. I have been in love with their fruit beers since the first taste. Then this one comes in the mail via trade. Holy shit!!! I have never had a wheat beer soooo complex with soooo much aroma and flavor. It is off the charts. It's well...unplugged! This is the measuring stick for all weizens I drink from here on out. This beer is absolutely wonderful.

It was an honor to try it. biegaman I am indebted to you for this one.

tpd975, Apr 11, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Oh wow. This is great.

A: Pours a murky, yeasty light amber/brown. Has a good head on it. Carbonation is screaming to the surface.
S: Bananas, pears, a slight hint of alcohol. Awesome.
T: Yeasty esters of wheat, banana, pears, then the alcohol lingers and cleans the palate.
M: Feels good on the palate. Medium carbonation.
D: High drinkability.

This is definitely one that I would buy again. I like it. A sipper.

wardough, Apr 11, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Schneid for this "imported" beer.

The aroma is filled with clove, pepper, white bread, and a bit of a band-aid like smell that passed after a short time.

The appearance is a cloudy golden color with a large white head. The taste contains a saltine-like malt sweetness, and pepper, with some clove, and noticeable bitterness - and a very dry finish.

The mouthfeel is medium/full with fairly high carbonation. This is a very drinkable and interesting beer for a large hefeweizen.

westweasel, Apr 10, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Courtesy of TheBlackMallard

Opened with a rush of malt sensation that was all malt. It was hard to smell past the malt and yeast although a slight citrus smell was present.

Poured a hazy orange with a great head, retention and lacing. Looking through the bottle their was a ton of thick yeasty extract coating the bottom of the bottle.

Taste is the traditional banana and clove taste although it definately seems a little more yeasty giving it a slightly overpowering taste and a more alcoholic taste.

As the Alabama senator says "It drinks good don't it". My review may seem negative but this is a great beer. Unfortunately there are some exceptional beers to try and I feel that it was a little behind Big Rocks verison (although evidently this is hard to come by).

Baileyuk, Apr 09, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle courtesy of mully. Thanks!
In a word, Wow.

Pours a gorgeous cloudy glowing light orange do deep burnt orange with an everlasting meringue like white head. Smell is fantastic. Best smelling hefeweizen ever...Huge fruity, banana notes, mild clove, and a big burst of citrusy fruits and orange with a blast of hops behind that. Taste is rich and wheaty with noticeable and uncharacteristic hop presence that works so well with this adding a really unique dimension to it. Nice citrusy bitter orange rind hoppy flavor in the middle followed by a clovey flavor in the finish. Really complex for the style and unbelievable good and drinkable. I would never have expected to like a hefeweizen this much. A must try!!

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance - This is a cloudy orange body with a huge head. The head is a perfect white and is nice and frothy. It appears the head will take a few days to recede it's so firm. The lacing left after each take from the pint is a very nice compliment.

Smell - I can immediately smell the sweet scent of malt as I crack the top of the bottle. The aroma is unbelievable. It has a perfect citrus aroma.

Taste - The flavor is bitter consisting of clove, tangerine and hops. There is a hint of alcohol but it doesn't overwhelm the brew.

Mouthfeel - The texture is soft and soothing. It touches all parts of my tongue, which really adds to its complexity.

~ The Imperial Weizen actually gets better and better as you drink it. At first take it's a bit abrupt but as the beer is slowly sipped it becomes far more complex. I will certainly recommend this beer to anyone looking for a full-bodied complex and interesting sud.

cdkrenz, Apr 05, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

Huge THANKS to Lordsloth for including this awesome brew in the Virgin BIF!!

Beautiful hazy golden pour with a huge foamy head that seemingly lasts forever...great looking brew!!

Loads of cloves and spices and bananas in the aroma of this... I have a feeling that I'm about to indulge in a masterpiece...

And I'm right.. Although its not a traditional one, this is the best Hefe that I've ever had... Its like drinking clove/ cinnamon laced banana bread that's been laced with rum.. Its amazing all the way around. As this warms, it gets even better although I didn't think it could. The alcohol is present so I'm sure the ABV is around 10 or so but its still scary drinkable. This is the only bottle that I have and I'm missing it already. You Wisconsiners are a lucky bunch!!!

Kudos to New Glarus for the best Hefe I've ever had!

Tilley4, Apr 03, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

A-Pours a rich orange haze w/massive head and beautiful lacing.
S-Had to wait a while for the foam to go down so I could get my nose in. Aromas of spice, primarily clove, and banana w/light citrus notes. There is also a faint scent of hops.
T-A rich, sweet bouquet of strong fruit (banana, ripe apricot, light citrus) balanced by rich spices that are strong without being overpowering, and a nice bitter hop bite that cleanses the pallet. M-The overall mouthfeel is great, featuring magnificent balance between sweet, spicy, and dry. The body is richer than what I would expect (to my great satisfaction), the carbonation is bold, and the overall sensation is agreeable.
D-Drinks disturbingly easy. There is some warming alcohol in the finish, so I wouldn't doubt this stuff's potency to be higher than what I originally thought.

BoitSansSoif, Mar 28, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

So here I am with a New Glarus Unplugged Series brew. I felt pretty shafted that night not being able to taste this interesting concept beer, but upon opening the bottle I felt much better. When pouring this beer into the glass I noticed excessive foaming, caused by high carbon dioxide, which is actually preferred in a weiss beer. This beer has the usual banana/clove characteristics found in weisses, but interestingly enough there is a noticeable hop aroma to it, albeit faint. I guess dry hopping weisse beers with Cascade hops makes for a great balance of smell. I was truly impressed with how just a little hop aroma influenced this beer. The taste was not what I expected coming from an imperial-style beer. I was expecting a little bite from this, but would not be surprised if this was a sleeper. (Definition of a sleeper beer: a beer that will knock you on your ass because the brewer cleverly hides the alcohol with the perfect mix of brewing ingredients.) What did stick out the most with the taste was the sweetness of this brew and how the carbon dioxide affected it. This imperial weiss tickled my tongue with effervescence and left it coated with a malty sweetness. I know now why they say these styles of beer are preferred with high carbon dioxide.

Newglarusguy, Mar 28, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

Dan and Deb Carey are officially WI Beer Gods! They continue to push the envelope and just when they get you thinking they are in a niche, they come out with something new and unexplored. New Glarus is a textbook U.S. craft brewery that puts out knockout beers of all styles. I had heard rumors of this beer back in January and couldn't wait to score some. This pours out a beautiful, murky orange with a super sticky snow white head. The lacing was impressive to say the least. In terms of appearance, this could stand up to any Hefe. The aroma holds a powerhouse of hops accented with the typical clove-like banana hefe roots. These hops are not subtle in any way and fill your nose with a resinous, fruity, cascade punch. I am very surprised how well the hops interact with the strong bavarian yeast. The taste is just as fantastic as the aroma and body. An explosion of piney hops open up for a big chewy malt body with a spicy-yeast finish. This combination of flavors is so powerful, yet extremely balanced. If the hops rounded out a bit more to bring through the malt, this would be damn near perfect. The apparently high ABV is nowhere to be found and this beer could definitely be a staple in my fridge. This beer tricks your beer tastebuds; one second you are drinking an IIPA, the next a Hefe. I have not had a hoppy beer that has gotten me this excited since Chouffe Houblon. I hope this beer sticks around until summer!

ALESwhatCURESya, Mar 23, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to Mully for the trade.

Bottle opened with a hiss, odd shrieking noise escaped from the foil. Poured into my trusty Dollartree Weizen glass with a giant head leaving behind plenty of lacing. Looks wonderful with my desk lamp shining behind it and all it's Weizeny goodness.

Smells of Lemon, Banana, Clove, Grass and Black Pepper.

I'm mostly tasting the citrus from the Cascades with a bit of Banana and Clove in the finish, they show up a bit more as it warms.

Awesome body and soft, lively carbonation.

Alright, who poured an SNPA in my Hefe? I wouldn't mind at all if the Cascades faded a bit. I'd probably like it a bit more. Cascades aren't my hop of choice. It's hard to tell that this is 8-9% ABV.

TheBlackMallard, Mar 21, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Pour- 2 fingers thick with thousands of bubbles with slight off white color lots of froth.
Color- Opaque with straw yellow light orange body
Smell- citrus and orange with a slight yeasty aroma
Taste- Slight hops in the initial taste more abundant on the finish.

Probably one of the best Unplugs I have had from New Glarus

TomBottos, Mar 19, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance - My god is this beautiful. Darker than a mere weizen. The head is over the top, an holds strong to the glass. Almost like a meringue pie.

Smell - It kicks you hard. This is wheat, that bannana clove from the good yeasts, and the tang of a really strong hint of alcohol.

Taste - I love it. I can tell you know there is not much out there like this. WOW.

mouthfeel - Strong, Powerful, and to the point.

Drinkability - I could have two, but then I would be too happy.

timmlimestone, Mar 14, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

Freaking amazing. Poured this into an english pint glass (yeah, sue me). Huge white, sturdy, frothy head with tenacious, clingy lacing o'er top a deep, rich golden-orange body.

Smelled deeply sweet of bananas. Deeeply sweet. Almost threw me off.

Once that golden nectar hits the tongue, it's game over for other hefeweizens. This is by far the nicest wheat beer I've ever tasted. How did Dan get all of them hops into a this wheat and make it work? I dunno, but I'm glad he did.

A very, very fine beer. I'll be sad when this brew is gone...

zook74, Mar 12, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours with a huge, voluminous white head. Color is dark yellowish amber. Very thick lacing. Aroma consists of bananas, cascade hops and spicy yeast. The mouthfeel is full-bodied, yet soft. Taste initially has a big wheat malt presence. There's banana, hops, and clove spiciness. The hop bitterness, though, really defines this hefeweizen. It's one of the hoppiest wheat beers I've ever tried. Alcohol and the very pronounced hoppiness of the beer linger into the finish.

This was good and certainly a wheat/ hop head's dream. I liked it but the citrus bitterness threw me for a loop. It's not what I'd expect in a typical hefeweizen. Granted this is NOT your typical hefeweizen. Interesting and sure to hit the mark with someone, but not my favorite of the Unplugged line.

Winter, Mar 12, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured into a weizen glass, a magnificent two and a half fingers of frothy, unmovable head crown a hazy orange/gold body. Lacing is stalactite-like in its tenacity. Looks like the gold standard for wheat beers.

The NG house weiss yeast is in full effect as gorgeous aromas of clove and bubblegum surround themes of clover, apricots, cinnamon and honey. Subtle citrus hops lace the finish. Can I give it a "6"?

Oh, it's so damned good! Bread-y start runs headlong into the wheat-driven, lemony twang with a swift pine kick from the Cascade hops. Clove and grass intermingle to frame an alternately zesty yet rich body. Damn!

A shade thinner than I want from a perfect hefe (although I want to give it a perfect score so badly!), although everything else lines up just right. This is something I would drink everyday if the cost weren't higher (oh, and if they actually brewed it again). Although brewing shouldn't be seen as a contest, the boys at 3F's would likely hear the Gumballhead accolades die down a bit if more people got their hands on this treasure from New Glarus. Flat-out world class.

malcontent, Mar 11, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Bright orange color, though completely opaque. Head faded to a thick patchy film, grows easily with agitation. A few small patches of lace.

S - Big smell. Bubblegum, earthy wheat, some clovey peppery spice with an underlying sweetness.
Smells just like the name would suggest.

T - The taste starts out with a big hit of palpable sweetness, earthy & thick on the tongue along with some carbonation. The carbonation really gets sharp and burns a bit. Bubblegum flavors come in full force for the remainder of the taste. The wheatiness and spices are muted by the carbonation although they do show up in the finish: chalky memories of sweet bubblegummy yeast and its subtle accompaniments.

M - Perhaps a bit too much carbonation, it hides some of the more subtle flavors. But paired with a thick consistency makes the tactile experience very unique.

D - This is a big wheaty meal of a beer, stellar, along with all the other New Glarus wheat beers.

Guess the abv: 11%

umustdrink, Mar 10, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a great beer!!

A: Pours a straw yellow with a nice haze throughout. Nice white lace head.

S: The smell is a woody banana like smell. Really good scent.

T: Way better than I expected!!! I truly enjoy this beer. It has all the charchteristics of a normal hefe-weizen but with a little extra bitterness. Uses the fruitiness of the cascade hops just right!

M: The flavor lingers just wonderfully!! Not thick at all.

D: I love this beer, I could easily drink all 4!

madtowndmb1, Mar 09, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -21%

Aroma: Spicy, cloves, bubble gum, peppery.

Looks: Hazy orange/yellow. Big thick white head. Good head retention. Excellent lacing, a thick sheet of lace was left behind on the side of the glass.

Taste: Cloves, black pepper. There was heat from the alcohol. Way more bitterness than a normal heffe (this isn't meant to be normal). Some peachy- mango flavours too.

Mouthfeel: Med-full bodied. Average carbonation, possibly even less than average if compared to a normal heffe.

Overall, I thought it was a good Beer. A little bit hot, and it's more of a sipping Beer to me.

BrewSomerville, Mar 09, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy, butterscotch with a fluffy two finger head. Setting it down to type, i can smell a bit of banana bread from the table a couple feet away. As I shove my nose in, I pick up a more complex scent, adding honey, clove and citrus hop to the aroma. The flavor consists of most of usual suspects for a hefe, banana, lemon, clove, a touch of apricot, and bubblegummy yeast. Hop presence isn't too strong, but a nice compliment - citrus fruits again with a bit of a peppery bite - much more noticeable on the nose than on the tongue. Slightly dissapointing there, as I like what the smell advertises. As it warms up a bit I'm getting more and more rind bitterness, which becomes a little rough on the taste buds. This is a bit thicker and creamier than most in the style, but the "imperial" stamp lead me to expect as much. The lingering, coating body is quite satisfying, though leaves the gum flavor to hang around a bit longer than I might like. I'm not the biggest hefe fan in the world to start with, but this is a nice, beefed up American interpretation that I'd go for again in warmer weather. Thanks mully for the bottle.

grandq, Mar 05, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz single, bought a 4 pack at steve's university

appearance: served in a bells tulip, hazy orange body with a huge white foam cap and fantastic lacing - quite the site to behold...dead sexy looking beer

smell: sweet bananas and cream, fresh citrus, clove and white pepper, hoppy and fruity, clean and refreshing

taste: wonderful! clean citrus hops and sweet banana carry the flavour profile in fantastic fashion...white pepper and clove provide a great compliment, abv hardly noticed until the aftertaste. Nice bubblegum kick - Great offering!

mouthfeel: clean and refreshing - a delight

drinkability: high

dirtylou, Mar 05, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Three fingers of creamy meringue foam rise to the 0.5L mark in a curvy weizen glass. After settling, there's a wispy crown of lace that remains. Deep hazy orange tone, with ever present streams of lazy carbonation.

Clove and citrus are dominant in the nose, with a sweet banana creme pie notion. Inhaling deeply gets a more phenolic note with a muted presence of alcohol.

After the first sip, the bigger body is noticeable, compared to Dancing Man Hefeweizen. More pronounced citrus, lemon, orange, with smooth banana/clove combo in the background. A light grapefruit bitterness is there too. Creamy feel and very tasty. The higher abv may limit a session to 2 at a time. Break out that liter krug, or dump 4 into a 2L boot if you're feeling like a beerfest. This is a call-out to the holiest of holies, the perfect American usurper to challenge Weihenstephaner, et al.

A big thanks to malcontent for bringing this back from WI!

emerge077, Mar 03, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. Straight from the bottle to a standard pint glass. The next tasting will be from a weiss glass; my bad.

Appearance: Very nice hazy yellow/orange with a HUGE head that lasted quite a while.

Smell: - My favorite part of this beer. Interesting and complex aroma. Citrusy and very hoppy.

Taste: Lots of wheat up front, but the finish is too bitter for my liking for a weiss.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and quite creamy.

Drinkability: The flavors make this good for one or two, but definitely very interesting.

nsmartell, Mar 02, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a bottle into a weiss glass.

Poured a HUGE creamy thick head that settles to a rocky, soap bubbly head. Sticky lacing all around the glass. Color is pale straw with reasonable cloud.

Aroma is banana and clove. Big whiff of fruity hops and great smell of fruity yeast and wheat. The smell reaches out and grabs you from across the room. Fruity and hoppy, yeasty.

Taste is clove and banana. Citrus and hops that are perfectly balanced with the fruity yeast and wheat. This weiss has a beautiful hop flavor that is quite a bit more pronounced than most hefeweizen I have had. The hops make this a very refreshing brew indeed. Finish is clove and bubblegum with a small alcohol backing. Delicious.

Mouth feel is thin bodied with a very smooth carbonation that turns to a more biting carbonation on the finish. The cloves and hops almost numbs the tongue a little, but not in a bad way.

An excellent example of a hefeweizen that has it's own original characteristics thrown in. Highly recommended.

wheatyweiss, Mar 02, 2008