2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Thumbprint Berliner Weiss - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Berliner WeissThumbprint Berliner Weiss

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: badbeer on 06-30-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Berliner Weiss Alström Bros
Ratings: 877 | Reviews: 339 | Show All Ratings:
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

A big thanks goes out to the kind BA that sent me this one in a trade recently. I had been dying to try it, and I have to admit, I may have found a new favorite beer! Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/09/2008.

The pour was wonderful. Rich notes of hazy golden yellow and a fizzy white head that reached a height of around an inch and then it faded down nicely into a small white crown.

The aroma and just about everything about this beer as perfect I tell you, just simply perfect. Rich and delicate, and light and sublime. Notes of lemon zest, rich hoppy notes, light ruits, peach, banana, just an absolute explosion of aroma and flavor. I really cannot begin to sum up how good this actually was. Smooth, subtle, perfectly drinkable, I was really in heaven here. I could have kept going all night with this one, it was just that good.

Absolutley my favorite beer of the last few weeks and one of the best of any style I have ever had. I would just absolutley love to get ahold of this one again any day.

12-10-2008 01:29:20 | More by mikesgroove
coolkatz321

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

First of all, New Glarus IS brewing this beer again, so ignore the whole "retired" thing. Saw it at my local grocery store and bought an entire case...it's notoriously difficult to find.

Appearance: Clear, pale, and straw-colored. Poured a fluffy, Styrofoam-like white head and had a lot of carbonation.
Aroma - A very tart, Granny-smith apple smell; hints of lemon, citrus and wheat accentuated a wonderfully well-rounded aroma.
Mouthfeel - Tons of carbonation, sticky and sour.
Taste - Very tart with a bit of lemon and apple. This almost reminded me of a Flemish Sour Ale crossed with club soda. Wine-like?
Overall - An outstanding beer, and one of the best I've ever had. The extreme carbonation coupled with the wonderful blend of flavors made for an absolutely incredible beer.

Now you know why I grabbed a case...it's THAT good!

08-30-2009 00:34:25 | More by coolkatz321
disastermouse

4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

I've never had this style before. My first reaction to this beer was 'Someone forgot to put the fruit in this lambic'.

A - Pale straw-colored and clear. The head fizzled fast.

S - Tart and 'yogurt-y'. It smells like no other beer I've ever had.

T - Wow...is this beer? It tastes like a very dry cider. There is no detectable malt or even any particular grain flavor. You really taste the acidophilus at the back end.

MF - Very satisfying. This would be a great summer beer. Effervescent and 'fresh' feeling...a real palate cleanser.

D - My girlriend and I both agree that we could kick these back all night.

04-27-2009 00:18:20 | More by disastermouse
BeerFMAndy

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a weiss glass. No date or info.

I'm almost through my second case so I figured it would be about time to review this one.

A - A moderate pour creates an enormous white fluffy pile of foam that sinks with fair speed leaving lacing all over the glass. Acidity would be a good cause of poor retention in this fully carbonated, lightly hazy pale straw yellow beer.

S - A light white grape sparkling soda nose kicks this beer off before shifting to a faint musty old barn nose. Light malts and dry straw incorporate a dry touch if graininess as this mellow aroma finishes out with a light acidity.

T - The crisp lactic acidity-sourness is clean with a touch of pale malt backing and almost no hop flavor at all until the very end when the sourness fades slightly revealing a light hop hint and slight Musty funk. Nice and crisp!

M - Very effervescent with sharp carbonation and a nice mild acidic sour tang to it, this Berliner is light-bodied and crisp with a long refreshing finish.

O - New Glarus is at the top off their game with this Thumbprint release, nailing the Berliner Weiss style almost flawlessly. It's crisp, refreshing body and flavor make it the perfect summer beer to indulge and to change it up, try it with a splash of their Raspberry Tart to simulate the way Germans add fruit syrup to this style of beer!

07-14-2013 18:16:57 | More by BeerFMAndy
Pullen

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is a great beer..Pours hazy with a head that dissipates rapidly. Slight funky aroma, with the flavor of a welch's light white grape juice with very little alcohol. This is one of the few session beer that I'll finish in a few minutes only to get another. It's that tasty.

Cheers!

01-10-2010 03:52:23 | More by Pullen
lsmetana

Manitoba (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poued into a tulip glass.

This was a fantastic example of a Berliner Weissbier. Poured a lovely pale golden with decent lacing. It was light, crisp, a hint of sour and dare I say -- sessionable. Can’t imagine what I would change about it.

08-15-2013 17:36:00 | More by lsmetana
burns1066

Iowa

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Holy crap. This beer is amazing. I was out off by the initial smell, which was really reminiscent of a really brut champagne, but as the beer warmed up, the scent of sweet white wine took over. Glorious! The slightly cloudy, pale brew has delightful carbonation and a wonderfully mouth-filling flavor. Unique in the best sense of the word. Perfect for summer sipping. It could also be paired with cheeses much like a fine white wine. A remarkable brew.

06-17-2013 03:20:11 | More by burns1066
malty

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Pale golden straw color with just a bit of clouding (I didn't stir-up the yeast to get as clear of a pour as possible). Big blossoming creamy dense head that sits still @ 2". Vigorous fine upward rising carbonation. Gloriuos sheets of elegant lace all the way down.

Wow! CLEAN and citrusy elements caress and bombard the nostrils all at the same time. Smells like the powdery/sugary residue that collects at the bottom of the bag of Sour Patch Kids candy - really! A touch of sweetness, and a whole lotta tart. Clean wheat malts and some yeasty funkity funk in the undercurrent.

A few brisk swirls and in goes the yeast (didn't cloud up as much as I was anticipating). Man oh man, the sides of my tongue almost curled from the sweet BUT BALANCED tartness. The softness from the wheat malt buffers the sour edges and brings some harmony to the lemony tart-like titan of a wheat beer. The yeasty esters are apparent but very low-key as to not build up on the pallet, so (again) the citrusy bite and tang really shine.

Mouthfeel is like goose down; light, soft, airy and ultra cozy. Carbonation is VERY fine and kinetic with a lighter than medium body. Juicy and strangely somewhat dry (but not at all chalky) sharp quick finish.

Drinkability is through the roof. Just got back from a 7-mile bike ride with the wife and my 12 oz. bottle is almost done.

Overall a perfect Berliner Weiss IMHO. Balanced but still tart, citrusy and soft, clean and tangy. I wish I would have bought a case of this, but my remaining three will be cherished. Great job Mr. Dan Carey!

08-17-2008 19:28:15 | More by malty
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I got this bottle in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

It pours a hazy light yellow gold, almost lemonade-like, with a huge and growing head of foam.

The smell is hay there, with some lemon zest, sour apples, actually...lots of tartness. Inviting to say the least.

The taste is..the...yum! Whoa baby, there's an awesome sourness here like in huge sour apples but once I got over the intial shock(read very pleasant), I'm picking up lemons, Saison like funk, light notes of pepper, some sweet malt, maybe honey, drifting in and out of each sip...lots going on here and I can't seem to stop sipping. This puppy is way drinkable!!

Light bodied with light carbonation, it finishes on the sour side with some light spiciness. And the head retention and lacing? Superb! New Glarus brews always seem to have that trait, at least in the brews of theirs that *I* tried. Another winner here....

11-06-2008 23:58:30 | More by Bitterbill
cradke

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Light straw yellow. Almost transparent. 2 finger thick head that's very fluffy.

Smell: White wine huge up front, very clean. Pleasant, sweet, some hops but more like daisy floral notes.

Taste: A snap of tart up front. White wine again, pleasant. Some clean (non-sugary) sweetness. Neat and organized. Even some 7-up lemon lime notes. Incredibly refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light and airy-perfect for the style. Good carbonation. Wonderful and very complementary of the tart and light style.

Overall: Incredibly refreshing beer. Tart up front, wonderfully balanced, white wine notes, fantastic mouth feel. Extremely impressed with this. Even my mother and wife who are non craft beer enthusiast loved this beer.

08-31-2013 23:22:46 | More by cradke
guthrie

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Oooohhh, this is one of my favorite beers. Here goes...

a - hazy straw-like golden color. Light head, yet sticky.

Sm - clean, slight wheat, some funkiness and sourness.

T - funky tartness hits right off the bat. Same tastes as the aroma. Earthy "horse blanket", taste is slight, yet apparent.
It's delicious. Mellow, yet having everything I crave...funkiness, sourness, uh, more funkiness, etc...

Dr. - I could (and try to as much as I humanly can) drink this all night. I'm sad this this isn't in New Glarus' line-up for 2009. Really, they must make this as much as possible. Mostly so I can buy it, but to also introduce people to a wonderful style!

I's tell anyone with an interest in "the funk" to get this. It's super nice.

01-31-2009 06:38:31 | More by guthrie
antoines15

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Haven't felt compelled to do a review in quite some time but this beer brought me out of retirement. Absolute perfection in a glass. Berliner's aren't a glamorous style but this one is the best of the lot. Super fluffy head and great lacing as far as looks go. Tart, refreshing, lemony, crisp and clean. Just really delightful. The only downside is that it's ten bucks a four pack but I guess that's not too bad. I only mention it because I'm going to drink the shit out of it this weekend and the entire case will be gone. You won't find a better berliner.

04-15-2012 23:19:27 | More by antoines15
sweemzander

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Very very happy Dan decided to put this back out again.

(A)- Pours a hazed golden yellow color. Produced a giant white fluffy head with superb retention behind it. Tons of clumpy lacing was left behind as it finally dissipated. A real beauty in appearance in the glass.

(S)- A nice aroma of a dry biscuit-like grainy wheat profile that meets an ever so slight acidic yet funky tart lemon rind.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A nicely crisp yet dry biscuit-like stone wheat meets a lightly tart lemon rind finish. Ever so slightly earthy in a barnyard sense, but only as it warms up.

(M)- An absolute lovely light and refreshingly crisp body and mouthfeel. Truly authentic to the style with an always welcoming light tartness at the end.

(O)- I always look forward to what Dan at New Glarus will put out next and I have looked forward to them putting this back out for quite some time now and it does not disappoint in any way. There is no better beer to consume on a hot summers day than this beer. Alot of this will be consumed this summer for sure.

08-01-2013 20:54:50 | More by sweemzander
Yetiman420

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

First taste of this was at the brewery a day prior to the Great Taste of the Midwest. Wow! A new sour. I'd never tasted a Berliner Weiss. Thank you New Glarus for "unplugging" this style. I've been on a quest ever since and am glad I brought a case back to Cincinnati.

Six months later and halfway through the case I'm still enjoying it as much as day one and am finally getting around to the review.

It's help up well in my cellar. Can't say for sure if it's getting more or less sour.

Slight haze and a very thin head in my 6 oz Crate & Barrel beer sampler glass. A very light sour aroma.

Extremely refreshing tart taste.

Can't say anything about hops on this one as I understand no hops are used (some homebrewers don't even boil this one).

For me it's the benchmark of the style and I wish more breweries would make attempts at this given the 2008 hop shortage.

02-08-2009 04:27:52 | More by Yetiman420
BoJengs

4.71/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Code date 1093- 4/19/2013. Consumed 3/3/2014 after about 10 1/2 months in cellar.

A- clean, crisp, light colored. Leaves nice lacing on glass

S- tart and dry

T- perfectly balanced berliner. Very tart but still extremely drinkable.

M- dances in mouth, party with tastebuds.

O- had this beer fresh and it was tremendous. I. Layed a few away and i am sad to say this was my last bottle. It was still very delicious after a yr. i am hoping new glarus brings this one back soon.

03-04-2014 01:25:32 | More by BoJengs
younger35

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Picked up some of this for a recent trade and myself at Woodman's in Kenosha. This will officially be my first Berliner Weiss. Can't wait. Drank from my generic mug.

Appearance- Pours a fairly bright light yellow with a nice one finger bright white head that is quite fizzy. Loads of tiny bubbles permeate throughout the glass helping to maintain a nice cap and collar that leave loads of lacing.
Smell- Lightly tart with hints of green apples and white grapes. Some grass and light earthy mustiness really permeate out of the glass. This is fairly warm now and a bit of grain does come through. Full of husky earthy goodness and really since this is my first Berliner Weiss, quite a unique smelling brew.
Taste- Oh momma! Shockingly tart from the start with a vinegary aggressiveness that is amazing! Green apples, white grapes, under ripened pears and raw lemon juice. Semi musty as well with light funk and some astringent wheat. The grain is fairly light and a subtle sweetness peaks through even though this beer remains quite dry. Lightly woody vanilla aspect as well, almost seems more like wine than beer. Finishes with a lingering quenching tartness.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with a very crisp carbonation and a Champaign like zest.
Drinkability- Outstanding. I picked up a 4 pack of this stuff just because it said New Glarus and Unplugged. Turns out its pretty much the most quaffable beer I've had in quite some time. I love Wild Ales and this is sort of a badass morphling of one (I guess, hell I don't know, it's freaking good though!). Thank the lord I'm hitting up New Glarus soon and can grab more than my fair share of this!

12-12-2008 23:26:22 | More by younger35
PHBoiler

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer reminds me of a carbonated dry Reisling. It is a key summer brew. It really hit the spot after a day of mowing. Very light lemon color with a fluffy white head. You can smell the tartness on the nose and it invites you in like a cold lemonade. The taste is bright and effervescent. Highly recommend.

05-28-2013 14:01:40 | More by PHBoiler
TheSSG

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Opening this "Champagne of the North" is accompanied by a BURST of carbonation that explodes as the cap comes off.

Pours a MASSIVE, dense, white head that collapses nicely whilst clinging to the edges of the glass. Soft, sweet aroma is a wonderful mix of yeasty earthiness and grape skins(?). A very interesting aroma that has a nose similar to egg salad for a flash of a second; just a very earthy, yeasty aroma (I assume from the grapes and barrel). Lovely, pale straw color with good turbidity.

Starts off bright and TART, building into an excellent maltiness with flavors of biscuit and grape. This maltiness climbs further, and then cascades down with the tart sourness and sweet Riesling poking its head through from time to time. The finish is subdued malt; biscuit dominates with a touch of fruitiness behind it.

This, this is WONDERFUL! The PERFECT bier for summer! It is crisp, tart, refreshing, fruity, and malty! And it is SILKY smooth across the tongue!
It is all the fun of a hefeweizen and a white wine, rolled into one!
If you are a fan of wine, you will LOVE this!

05-05-2013 02:40:33 | More by TheSSG
robbyc1

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Just finished my last bottle of a 4 pack from last year, but picked up another in Madison!! Four more to look forward to, yeah! This is the best beer of this style I've tasted. Now, there are very few like this one, but I can't think of a better one.

Clear yellow with a fluffy white head 3" thick, into a Unibroue glass. On style, solid but not exciting looking, just right.

The nose tells of the sourness, with nice apple malt. Gives off nice richness untold.

The robust apple sourness is superb, with enough malt to slay the senses. It is almost a perfect summer refresher, had the last one with a swiss cheese sandwich and a good apple, just perfect. Puckering but not over the top, on a par with the best lambics, without the complexity which is fine here.

Light but full mouthfeel, it slides down easy. Not enough to go around for my taste. Keep 'em coming Dan.

Update 2010, this is the Champagne of bottled beers, for those who remember that ad from way back....

10-11-2009 21:57:12 | More by robbyc1
rye726

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a hazy golden sand with a thin beige head.

Nose has tart citrus, wheaty malts, tropical fruits and honey.

Taste has a nice sour lacto presence up front and through the finish. Also some sweet fruits and candy malts.

Crisp, clean and refreshing body is well carbonated. The perfect session beer.

11-18-2009 02:09:19 | More by rye726
twiggamortis420

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Much thanks to FrankenBrew for this one. 12 oz bottle pours a hazed gold color with a creamy, off-white head. Fades slow to a nice coating.

Nose is classroom chalkboard, lemons and grainy malt. Mild sourness pervades the brew and even smells a bit like old tomato skins. Yum!

Taste is nicely tart, light and airy. Refreshing is an understatement. Mildly sour, but mostly tart unmalted grains. Creamy mouthfeel and carbonation is insanely fine. I could easily drink a whole 12-pack of this at a summer party - right up there with the best of the style. My full-bottle serving was gone before I could even write a proper review. Muy delicioso!

02-05-2011 23:10:47 | More by twiggamortis420
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.63/5  rDev +11%

This bottle is courtesy of joe1510, prost Joe!

Pours a semi-hazed & effervescent honey with 1 finger of beige head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Sourness, lemons & mown hay

T: Lactic & lemony sourness & a touch of grassyness. A strange lemon sweet tart flavor that really works for me, as this warms & a hint of honey dryness. Finishes with much tartness, lemon head sourness, dry white wine & some green apple

MF: Light bodied, spritzy & true to style

Superb thirst quencher, super drinkability & a damn good take on the style

11-02-2008 00:47:18 | More by russpowell
rayjay

Hawaii

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to DontCallMeSurly for this one and a great trade.

Hazy and very pale. Unfiltered. Light carbonation and little foam.

Wheat beer, with tiny bubbles and a mild, crisp, and refreshing tartness. Much like mildly sweetened lemonade. Lacto tartness like plain kombucha. Interesting crisp dryness coupled coupled with a light syrupy stickiness that adds a tiny bit of weight to the mouthfeel. Zesty citrus. Puckering grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is light and just barely there. Low carbonation. Drinkability is high. Refreshing and thirst quenching. If I lived in Wisconsin I'd drink a 4-pack every day. Cheers!

11-10-2008 07:33:28 | More by rayjay
roadhouse

12 oz. bottle into a flute

Pours a clear golden yellow color with a one inch white head that has pretty good staying power. Leaves quite a bit of lace on the glass.

Aroma is nice and tart with some green apple sourness, a bit of breadiness from the wheat, and some vinous notes from pinot grigio all with a nice fruitiness.

Taste has a grainy sweetness up front that is quickly met with some green apple sourness and a mild fruity flavor, again with a vinous hint to it. The finish is sour and extremely refreshing to the point that I just want to keep drinking until it's gone, but then I couldn't enjoy it as much.

Mouthfeel is light, with spritzy carbonation that makes it very refreshing and highly drinkable. Pretty much perfect for the style.

Wow, this one blew me away, way beyond my expectations. This is by far the best example of the style I've tried yet. I only regret not buying two four packs on my recent trip.

05-13-2009 07:13:45 | More by roadhouse
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to atone315 for hooking these up. Delicious.

Pours an extremely mild yellow appearance, but with amazing clarity. Take the water from Lake Tahoe and a Budweiser (an impressive looking beer, taste aside), mix them in equal parts, and you might get something with the delicate appearance you have here. The head is bright white.

The aroma is tart lemons, white grape and green apple in a lesser way, just how you want it from a sour mash berlinner weisse. Not massively puckering like say, Tartare, this is more traditional and pretty nice.

The taste follows in the same vein, mild wheat underbody, lemon and apple tartness (no apple 'flavor'). Very refreshing, great mouthfeel. I had high expectations and this still exceeded them. Gotta love these super flavorful but extremely light as air beers. Does a bright and light funkiness make sense? Finishes slightly acidic, dry and tart. White grape and oak hints make out for a complex, yet inviting experience. I'm guessing the alcohol to be around the 3% range.

I think I liked this one more than even Hottenroth. Wow. Call it one of the greatest beers for summer ever made.

06-17-2013 16:16:40 | More by Beerandraiderfan