Thumbprint Berliner Weiss - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Berliner WeissThumbprint Berliner Weiss

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: badbeer on 06-30-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Berliner Weiss Alström Bros
1.36/5  rDev -67.5%

It is a sour, very carbonated, very pale beer. It is sold in 4 packs as a special, premium beer.

For me Hacker Pschorr is how a weiss beer should be. I've tried many, many weiss beers, it's one of the great things in summer. I couldn't drink this.

john_galt, Jun 22, 2014

12 oz. Bottle through trade:

First off, I admittedly am not a big fan of the style and thus gave the brew an extra point and a half due to my bias. However, when the best beers of a style includes brews with a B rating, I must assume it's not just me. Anyways, here it goes.

A: Golden yellow, like super dehydrated piss with a bit of carbonation. It looks like pearish; the head disappeared within seconds.

S: Oh God... it's sparkling white grape juice! Yes... I would've been super pumped to drink this at New Year's when I was like 15...

T: Once again Sparkling Grape Juice, but very sour; This really just must not be my thing, because other people seem to love it, but I barely finished my glass.

D/M: Whatever, it is what it is.

I am a fan of New Glarus (Their Cherry Stout is the best fruit beer I've had, can't wait to get some Raspberry Tart), but this beer just plain sucked too me... like watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Notebook, Sleepless in Seattle, and any Freddy Prinze Jr. movie all in the same day...

jt31914, Apr 22, 2010

natethamac, Jul 23, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -49.8%

Thanks to Jeff, beckje01, for hand delivering this one from Minnesota.

I had never heard of this style until after I tried this one, so I was blindsided by this one. I saw the name of a German city and Weiss in the name, and figured it was some sort of Bavarian Wheat. In retrospect, Berlin is not in the south, so maybe I shoulda known. That said,

Pours pale yellow, hazy, thick white head that fades quickly. No lacing.

Smells tangy, zesty, fruity, yeasty.

Very citrusy, tangy, and sour. Has the tart of a sweet tart candy without the sweet. My brother said it was like the tart from the Raspberry Tart, but without the raspberry.

Highly fizzy and thin.

New Glarus is a great brewery and I will continue to try everything they make. But this one did not work for me. I guess maybe I don't like the style. Until I read the description on the bottle, after we drank it, I thought maybe it had been infected. Had a hard time drinking this.

sprucetip, Dec 22, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -44.3%

Yikes, this brew scared the hell out of me.

Starts out hazy golden with a short head and very small lacing. Has a sweet, tart aroma. Very thick in the mouth.

Taste- lemon, very sour, like sucking on super sour candy. A very predominant wine aftertaste, rieseling like.
Very very long linger in the mouth, tasted it long after the session. Light hints of malt and floral as well.

High on the sour, fruity, linger, aspects. This was my first time trying a berliner weiss, I hope it was true to the style, until im able to try another brewers interpretation of this very distinctive and strange beer. It was definetly an experience.

sauron681, Jun 30, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

A - Clear golden straw-colored body with about a finger of bubbly white head that quickly receded into a thin ring of retention and left sparse lacing. Minimal carbonation, which is unexpected for a Berliner Weiss.

S - Sour lemony and tart, fleshy fruit paired with a grainy and cereal maltiness. Reminds me of skunky beer.

T - Very sour and tart with hints of lemon and sour green apple. T

M - Medium body with lively carbonation. Crisp, dry finish with a lingering sourness.

D - $12.12/4pak is really expensive. Maybe it's that I'm not a fan of sour beers. I drank one and gave the other 3 away. Had a hard time drinking the whole beer. I like New Glarus' products but this one does nothing for me except make me want to stay away from it.

beerfairy, Sep 20, 2008

MCMASTERSANCHEZ, Jun 06, 2013

bfirkin45, Oct 29, 2014

ctrevino, Jul 17, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured a clear yellow with a pure white frothy head and mild lacing.

Smells of a mild citrus and not a whole lot more.

Hmm, not sure what to say on this one. Kind of tastes like an orange alka seltzer. Has a subtle bitter citrus aftertaste.

Light spritzy mouthfeel with a tart finish.

Definitely not my cup of tea, but interesting to say the least. Has a champagne consistency with a dry wine flavor. Overall strange in flavor and mouthfeel.

Zadok, Oct 30, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Pours a pale golden hue, slightly hazy, with a big head that subsides to a persistent encircling ring of foam clinging onto the edge of the glass.

S - I hate to be simplistic about this, but it smells like a New Glarus fruit beer. It is tart, it has discernible wheat, and it only varies from the others in that it smells like white grapes rather than cherries or raspberries. I would have not a gripe in the world about that, if this wasn't being called a Berliner Weiss. Come to think of it, I loved Unplugged Cherry Stout and that wasn't a Stout at all, so I rescind my complaint.

T - My initial impression is that it tastes good, but it is a fruit beer, not a Berliner at all. It is quite a bit like all the other NG fruit beers, except it uses white grapes and is lighter in body than usual. As the glass drains, the flavor and aroma are decent, but not particularly good.

M - The feel is a bit too cidery, but lively nonetheless.

D - This is not one of the better NGs. I'd probably rather drink Totally Naked.

ktrillionaire, Jul 22, 2010