Thumbprint Berliner Weiss - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  3.00% ABV

Beer added by: badbeer on 06-30-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Berliner Weiss Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,321 | Reviews: 380
1.44/5  rDev -65.5%

It is a sour, very carbonated, very pale beer. It is sold in 4 packs as a special, premium beer.

For me Hacker Pschorr is how a weiss beer should be. I've tried many, many weiss beers, it's one of the great things in summer. I couldn't drink this.

12 oz. Bottle through trade:

First off, I admittedly am not a big fan of the style and thus gave the brew an extra point and a half due to my bias. However, when the best beers of a style includes brews with a B rating, I must assume it's not just me. Anyways, here it goes.

A: Golden yellow, like super dehydrated piss with a bit of carbonation. It looks like pearish; the head disappeared within seconds.

S: Oh God... it's sparkling white grape juice! Yes... I would've been super pumped to drink this at New Year's when I was like 15...

T: Once again Sparkling Grape Juice, but very sour; This really just must not be my thing, because other people seem to love it, but I barely finished my glass.

D/M: Whatever, it is what it is.

I am a fan of New Glarus (Their Cherry Stout is the best fruit beer I've had, can't wait to get some Raspberry Tart), but this beer just plain sucked too me... like watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Notebook, Sleepless in Seattle, and any Freddy Prinze Jr. movie all in the same day...

2.15/5  rDev -48.4%

Thanks to Jeff, beckje01, for hand delivering this one from Minnesota.

I had never heard of this style until after I tried this one, so I was blindsided by this one. I saw the name of a German city and Weiss in the name, and figured it was some sort of Bavarian Wheat. In retrospect, Berlin is not in the south, so maybe I shoulda known. That said,

Pours pale yellow, hazy, thick white head that fades quickly. No lacing.

Smells tangy, zesty, fruity, yeasty.

Very citrusy, tangy, and sour. Has the tart of a sweet tart candy without the sweet. My brother said it was like the tart from the Raspberry Tart, but without the raspberry.

Highly fizzy and thin.

New Glarus is a great brewery and I will continue to try everything they make. But this one did not work for me. I guess maybe I don't like the style. Until I read the description on the bottle, after we drank it, I thought maybe it had been infected. Had a hard time drinking this.

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

This is my first experience with a Berliner Weiss and if this is a true example of the style it may be my last. Wow! This is some sour, sour stuff. It is clearly a well crafted beer with it's fine carbonation, beautiful light body, champagne like mouthfeel, and dryness, but I cant get past the sour taste enough to really enjoy the complexities of this beer. Dan Carey is a great brewer and I am a big fan of many of his creations, but I don't think I'll be going for this one again. Although, I might.

2.41/5  rDev -42.2%

Yikes, this brew scared the hell out of me.

Starts out hazy golden with a short head and very small lacing. Has a sweet, tart aroma. Very thick in the mouth.

Taste- lemon, very sour, like sucking on super sour candy. A very predominant wine aftertaste, rieseling like.
Very very long linger in the mouth, tasted it long after the session. Light hints of malt and floral as well.

High on the sour, fruity, linger, aspects. This was my first time trying a berliner weiss, I hope it was true to the style, until im able to try another brewers interpretation of this very distinctive and strange beer. It was definetly an experience.

2.46/5  rDev -41%

A - Clear golden straw-colored body with about a finger of bubbly white head that quickly receded into a thin ring of retention and left sparse lacing. Minimal carbonation, which is unexpected for a Berliner Weiss.

S - Sour lemony and tart, fleshy fruit paired with a grainy and cereal maltiness. Reminds me of skunky beer.

T - Very sour and tart with hints of lemon and sour green apple. T

M - Medium body with lively carbonation. Crisp, dry finish with a lingering sourness.

D - $12.12/4pak is really expensive. Maybe it's that I'm not a fan of sour beers. I drank one and gave the other 3 away. Had a hard time drinking the whole beer. I like New Glarus' products but this one does nothing for me except make me want to stay away from it.

3.11/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured a clear yellow with a pure white frothy head and mild lacing.

Smells of a mild citrus and not a whole lot more.

Hmm, not sure what to say on this one. Kind of tastes like an orange alka seltzer. Has a subtle bitter citrus aftertaste.

Light spritzy mouthfeel with a tart finish.

Definitely not my cup of tea, but interesting to say the least. Has a champagne consistency with a dry wine flavor. Overall strange in flavor and mouthfeel.

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

A - Pours a pale golden hue, slightly hazy, with a big head that subsides to a persistent encircling ring of foam clinging onto the edge of the glass.

S - I hate to be simplistic about this, but it smells like a New Glarus fruit beer. It is tart, it has discernible wheat, and it only varies from the others in that it smells like white grapes rather than cherries or raspberries. I would have not a gripe in the world about that, if this wasn't being called a Berliner Weiss. Come to think of it, I loved Unplugged Cherry Stout and that wasn't a Stout at all, so I rescind my complaint.

T - My initial impression is that it tastes good, but it is a fruit beer, not a Berliner at all. It is quite a bit like all the other NG fruit beers, except it uses white grapes and is lighter in body than usual. As the glass drains, the flavor and aroma are decent, but not particularly good.

M - The feel is a bit too cidery, but lively nonetheless.

D - This is not one of the better NGs. I'd probably rather drink Totally Naked.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes:

Pours a milky golden yellowish brown color with a two finger frothy white head. Decent retention, slowly fading into a thin ring that leaves minimal spots of lacing.

Slightly funky aroma with subtle barnyard notes as well as some oak, lemon zest, clove, banana, citrus peel and bread.

Slightly tart/funky, earthy flavor with a good bit of citrus sweetness for balance. Hints of grapefruit, lemon peel and pepper/clove spice. Medium bodies with soft carbonation and a dry finish. There is very subtle earthy oak and a tartness providing balance to the sweeter flavors. Refrshing and easy to drink but a bit bland for my liking.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Felt this one is far behind the other Berliner Weisse beers available.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle shared by Chaney. Thank you Brandon.

The beer is light golden and transparent with a thin, pure white head. The aroma offers grain, pilsner malt, fruity esters. The flavor is ok. Cereal grains with a hint of sourdough bread. A bit underwhelming. Zesty carbonation with fruity hop notes. This was ok, but I don't see myself returning to this beer again.

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Cloudy straw to amber body. Nice white head initially but it didn't last long. Right to style.

S: Nice tart aroma. Touch of apple in there maybe.

T: I've always liked New Glarus but this is a let down. It's not tart enough by any stretch of the imagination. There is a touch of tartness but come on, this is a goddamn berliner weiss. This should be the tartest of all beers. Definite apple flavor.

M: Light bodied.

D: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more tartness.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz red foiled bottle.

Pours a pale yellow color with a slight hint of gold and a foamy and active white head. Reminds me of a Euro lager.

Smell is fruity, spicy, and funky. Does not remind me of the other traditional Berlinner Weisse's I've had other than a light sour lemon scent, it is more like a sour lager.

The beer itself is a bit too light, and I know this style is but this is ultra-light. There is a bit of lemon sour above some lifeless wheat notes. It is just not as refined as it could be.

The Unplugged series is hit or miss, while this one isn't too bad it isn't a stalwart of the style.

3.46/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Yellow gold with yeast particles, enormous rocky head.

Smell: Dry cracker, cardboard.

Taste: Very tart lemon flavor with some dry cracker breadiness.

Mouthfeel: Light and dry.

Drinkability: Tartness and dryness knock this down in my book.

Picked up a 4 pack over the border to give this style a try since New Glarus makes excellent wheat beers. It was definitely an interesting experience, probably the "dry"-est beer I've ever had. The tart and sour citrus was a first for me in a beer.

New Glarus- Unplugged Berliner Weisse

Thanks to UncleJedi for this 1!

A- Bright yello, clear, with a huge foamy white head.
S- Slight sour lemony whiskey mix.
T- Light sweet lemons meet sour/ tart cherry, apple, and grape.
M- Lightly sweet up front, good crisp fruity tartness throughout the body. Finishes off crisp with a touch of lemony sourness.

Overall- Unique, but good. probably could only drink a couple of these but worth picking up!
(Thanks Jed!)

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Not as tart as I was hoping for

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Picked up a few of these across the border, jazzed to see another original from New Glarus. One of those breweries I'd buy about anything from, they've earned it. 12 oz. bottle.

Pour is the color of dead spring cattails with the spring sun bouncing off them, while I'm fishing. Carbonation is on the high side of the road. Lemon spritz in the nose mingled with white wine, grassy fields just off the lake, tart. Nice.

New Glarus Berliner Weiss hits lighter than a 13" pike. Tart lemon is the primary ingredient here, leaving a vague pucker on the tongue. Underripe green apples, dried grass, wheat germ. Acidic, with belch-inducing carbonation. Light, light, light. I can see the appeal on one of the 96 degree days that will inevitably arrive. Cue another belch. Another.

Glancing at the reviews, I guess I'm in the minority. This is pretty good, but nothing I'd go out of the way for. Good grilling beer? Softball beer? Fishing beer? Certainly refreshing, but not up to the high standards of New Glarus IMHO.

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

The smell is a funky yeast, yet not off-putting. A yellow body with lots of white head. A little tart, an understated lemoness, a little mineral, a light mouthfeel, and easy drinking. Some sweet fruit in secondary.Not too many of this syle about and worth a try.

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance - Light to moderate yellow. Cloudy. Relatively tall white, soapy head. Slowly dissipating.

Smell - Pretty faint, but somewhat citrusy sour aroma.

Taste - Quite sour, lemony. Some wheat character, but overwhelmed by the strong sourness. Almost like some sour white wine varieties (savignon blanc?).

Mouthfeel - Light with a crisp finish.

Drinkability - Something a little bit different. Not my cup of tea, but anything from New Glarus is worth a try.

3.51/5  rDev -15.8%

Tart, tart, and puckery. That is the best description for this beer. A nice straw colored beer with low alcohol. Could use a shot of woodruff syrup to balance out the acidic pallette. Definitely not a beer that you will drink a lot of. If you like sour lambics than you will enjoy this tart, acidic German wheat.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired via trade from BuckeyeNation, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, yeast, lemon, some berries and a touch of hops, but there's a note of metallicness in there.

T: The taste is tart up front with flavors of lemon & raspberries. There's a decent hops presence that follows. The malt character is thin but on-target for the style. The after-taste is tangy and a little sour.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean and very dry finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is good beer if you're into sour beers, not sure I could drink to many of them in a row though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straw-colored with very dense, half inch foam.

The aroma is grapy and the beer comes across with a champagne-like tartness. Indeed, the label indicates it was fermented with grapes, so German purity laws are not followed. I suppose this means it is not a true Berliner Weiss? Maybe more of a fruit beer? It's my first stab at beers made in this style. Even if it deviates from the standard some, I have no basis of knowing.

Initially, I felt this was a good thirst-quencher and gulped it down. The alcohol content, though not listed, seems to be relatively low. I drank two bottles, but the tartness became cloying to me on the second bottle. I've had New Glarus' take on sour brown ale and was pleased, but I feel this one could use a little more than sourness to keep it interesting. Despite using two kinds of grapes, wheat malt, and 5 kinds of yeast (according to the label), it ultimately seems one-dimensional.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to beerwolf77 for this one.

Pours a nice cloudy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger plus foamy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some yeast, slight bannanas, slight corinander. The taste is malty, yeasty, sour, with some bannana/corinander notes. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle, pours light gold with a large eggshell head. Not as spritzy as some examples of this style. Nose is quite grainy with a touch of lightly sweet stone fruit. Quite tart in the mouth, oddly sweet in the middle, with a bit of yeast in the finish. Very sour. Kind of sulfuric at times, quite a bit of wet stone and mineral in there as well. The mineral aspect of this is not entirely pleasant, and it's a touch too sour for me. Flavor profile is just kind of off, but I'm naturally comparing it to Southampton's, which just destroys this. A decent, but not great example of this style.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sparkling lemony gold with nearly colorless edges. The cloud white cap persists because of its tight-bubbled texture and because a never-ending stream of bubbles is leaping off the bottom of the glass. A lack of lace is a minor negative.

Berliner Weiss doesn't smell like a Berliner weissbier, it smells like an all-malt lager, with lots of fresh grain and musky hops. Where's the tartness and where are the Pinot Grigio and Reisling grapes? The nose is enjoyable, but the score takes a small hit for failing to follow style guidelines.

The flavor profile gets things back on track, at least where style is concerned. The almost complete absence of sugars and the (presumably) low ABV make this Unplugged offering a wonderful hot weather thirst quencher. It's a bit too expensive for that purpose and it's no longer being brewed, so... never mind.

There's plenty of tart tanginess and the beer is as dry as a summer day is long. I can taste the grain (a good thing), but the grapes are still in the background. In the end, one more facet to the flavor profile is needed. A twist of lemoniness would be nice. Adding flavored syrups, as they do in Germany, just seems wrong somehow.

The mouthfeel is definitely the beer's best feature. Since the ABV is probably somewhere south of 5.0%, it's all the more impressive for being full, smooth and creamilicious. Ideal carbonation tends to do that.

Berliner Weiss isn't the best beer of this style that I've ever had. Brauerei Weihenstephan 1809 holds that honor. It's still a decent effort, but that old Dan Carey magic isn't there this time around, like it is with most of the Unplugged beers.

Thumbprint Berliner Weiss from New Glarus Brewing Company