Unplugged Bohemian Lager - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Czech Pilsener |  ABV ?

Beer added by: joe1510 on 09-21-2008

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bright and golden in colour, the head is short, but is well-lasting with tantalizing streams of carbonation rising upward. Lots of sticky lace. The aroma is doughy, breaded malt, with hints of lemon zest, and is very clean.

The flavor is excellent, as the dry maltiness is just sweet enough to please. There is a well executed hop bitterness also, setting in early on and lingering after the finish. Overall a nearly perfect balance of malt and hops. A nice bouquet of citrus character comes through too, but is not overdone. The mouthfeel is crisp, light, and well carbonated, which creates some foamy depth.

Hands down one of the best Czech Pils I have tried. I love the assertive hoppiness. I would drink this all summer long if given the chance. It is nearly perfect... Thanks to Arsenal04 for this bottle.

3.91/5  rDev -6.2%

Masterski sent this one to me in a recent trade; thanks.

A vibrant, translucent yellow body that has a ton of fast moving, tiny carbonation bubbles. About a finger and a half of white head that is rocky, thick, and settles down to a fairly thick ring on top of my beer. Also leaves some nice sheets and rings of lacing on my glass.

A grass, lemony hop aroma comes through, along with a ton of sweet pilsner malt. For some reason I keep picking up not only a slightly toasted, biscuity malt, but also a slight smoked malt flavor. Maybe the smoked malt is my imagination, but I noticed it throughout the entire time I drank this beer.

Right of the bat comes there is a good, sweet malt that is both crackery and a touch biscuity. Good mix for a pilsner. Immeidately cutting the malt is a good, spicy hop that tastes like some variety of noble hop. A touch of lemon and cut grass is there in the hop profile also. There are slight fruit tones in this beer also, with weak notes of melon. The smoked malt that comes through in the nose for me is nowhere to be seen in the flavor, so maybe it is just my imagination.

Mouthfeel is light, highly carbonated, and crisp.

A good, drinkable beer. Something I would buy a few six packs of if I had regular access to it. I would love to have had the chance to try a growler straight from the brewery, or to have it on tap right after brewing when the hops were a little stronger.

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%

Nice looking lager getting some extra points courtesy of the awesome head. Golden elixir with millions of bubbles making their way up the curvrature of the tulip. Thick rocky whit head with great retention leaves very nice lace behind.

Cereal grains and a biscuity malt with some noble hop aromas. Hints of toffee and caramel.

Nice easy drinking lager. Good carbonation with a full bodied middle and finish. Nice bitter finish with a chewy toffee, cereal induced middle. Biscuit in the mouth as well. A straightforward lager.

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%

New Glarus Unplugged Bohemian Lager pours a finger of loose foam over a clear gold brew. Carbonation is moderate but steady, the nose is biscuit and barley. The flavor is sweetish and bready, slightly nutty malt with sharp, peppery, herbal Saatz hops off the back. Mouthfeel is crisp with a bit of grassyness sticking around in the aftertaste. Spot on for the Czech Pilsner style, and unlike too many of the brews from the Czech Republic, this one is fresh and not skunked, with a nice crackling peppery hop to it.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Purchased at the brewery in mid-May of 2009. Wasn't discounted, no freshness or nothing, so I figure it's fair to review it as normal.

Pours wonderfully! Very dark, thick old gold with a huge white head. This is the way High Life looked in those old technicolor commercials.

Smells of dense, grassy malt and light hops. The hop profile has probably been deaded a bit from age, but the beer as a whole is still lively and balanced.

Tastes as it smells, bold for the style but still light enough to pound. Big weedy malts start things off, moving into a sparkling middle of lightly sour malt nodes and spicy european hops, ending on more directly bitter hops that leave a bit of a green tinge on the back of the tongue.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a red foil topped bottle into a Pilsner Urquell stem.

Pours a bright golden straw with a rocky head that sticks to a clean glass like spiderwebs. Slight haze that may be the glass.

Aroma is husky grain, malty corny smelling malts. Hops are floral and the usual noble hop aroma, although not as skunky as I'm used to smelling in Pils. Light metallic twang, but not too much.

Flavor is light malt, crispy and light the malt is followed by the noble hops with a floral flavor. Buttery diacetyl and corney flavored grain. The flavor is very fresh despite the fact that I think this one has some age and may be past it's prime. For an aged pils, this one tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp and the carbonation is soft and gives the beer a creamy texture. Very nice.

Drinkability is great and would be better if it was more available.

Good pils, but not the best of the unpluggeds I'm afraid. Which is funny, because even a mediocre unplugged is outstanding.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

12 oz. bottle into a pils glass

Pours a clear deep golden color with lots of carbonation rising to create a one and a half inch off-white head. Really good retention and lots of lace are left behind on the glass.

Aroma is straight up Saaz hops, the typical grassy, floral, spicy character that they produce. The malt also adds a bit of complexity, a slight sweetness and a bit of toasty, breadiness. Pretty much dead on for the style, but then again it's not that much better than something like Pilsner Urquell.

Taste starts off with hops instantly, definitely not bitter, but lots of the aromatic characteristics like the floral and grassiness come through. Towards the finish the sweet, bready malt character definitely becomes apparent right after a brief shot of mild hop bitterness that fades and lingers on with the malt.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied, really nice carbonation, clean and crisp going down.

This is by far the best Czech Pils I've tasted. Maybe because it's so fresh compared to the imports, but either way, this is pretty much the Pilsner taste perfected in my mind. I wish I had picked up more.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a light pale yellow color with a cloudy white two finger head. Good head retention and amounts of lacing.

Am I drinking a Macro? cause it sure does smells like one. I do not really get that much aroma from this other then a nice clean crisp smelling of grains, dough, fresh-scented laundry soap, and spicy hops.

Well this surly does taste a lot better then your macros. Gives off a very smooth caramel like taste with small amounts of hops.

Light with decent carbonation. Very nice and crisp aftertaste.

Well, I sure as hell dont live in Wisconsin so theres no way I can get this beer again, but if I could get it on a daily basis then I would definitely have more then one of these on hot summer days.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottle from a trade with wisrarebeer. The beer pours pale straw color, very clear, with a thick rocky head that clings to the glass until it dries into clumps. The smell is pure Munchen, bready malts and Bohemian hops (saaz?). Same with the taste, full of malty sweetness which feels authentically German, this is very similar to fresh beers I've had in Munich beer halls (reminds me most of Paulaner, but really it's not far from any helles lager of the region). This is as good as I'd hoped, I wish I had a case.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to Homerbag from TBS for this bottle.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a Pilsener glass.

A: Pours a rustic yellow with some orange tinting, decent clarity but not perfect. About a 1 finger head forms and holds for a bit before falling to a skim. Good lacing.

S: Lightly spicy hops, somewhat floral. Clean and crisp malts. Overall not that aroma.

T/M: Hops are a bit more pronounced in the taste. Still moderately spicy and with a bit more floral. Malts are crisp, clean, and refreshing. A touch of biscuit as it warms further. The yeast is much more pronounced and lends some fruity esters to the mix. Body is light and crisp with slightly elevated carbonation that awakes your tongue. Not really any lingering bitterness or hops.

D: Very drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pour is golden with a small but very soap head. great lace. smell is very light lemon grass, dense straw, and a clean pilsner hop. palate is fantastic. crisp, hop yet bready. a straw yeast that is a bit musky and earthy. grassy lemon notes... a gentle hop that clears the tongue, mild mint. i would drink this all summer if possible. unfortunately i have only this one bottle.

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Finally, a kick-ass stateside pilsner. I've had some good ones, but nothing as authentic and near perfection as this one. Excellent pillowy head with big bubbles, surviving the whole life of the beer, which didn't turn out to be too long. Slightly grassy and doughy aroma. Lots of flavor in this lager. Nice spicy notes from the hops in the finish on top of a great base of pale malt and a nice bready body. Only the best German lagers can top this in the flavor department. Crisp mouthfeel with plenty of body and so uber drinkable. Probably the best lager I've had from the US. Yum.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful out of bottle deep gold not cloudy but not clear. Great lacing holds well. Smells of deep malt taste same with some dry fruit - noticeable hop finish (bottle says saaz) clean up. Great body and mouthfeel well carbed thick - lager drinkability. Excellent.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%

The best Pilsner I've had... although I'm not sure it's the perfect pils. Maybe it is and I'm being overcritical.

Pours a rich golden hue, crystal clear with frothy fingers of head that retain until the glass is empty, leaving beautiful organic lacing all the way down. Perfect.

Aroma is mild earth and spicy noble hop backed by a bready, rough, pale malt sweetness.

On the tongue this is a beautiful wash of medium to light bodied beer with a crisp finish that rides along in a well-balanced blend of warm maltiness, textured mid palate sweetness and impressive hop flavor. It could perhaps pop just a bit more, and I wonder since I'm reviewing this off my second trade if it hasn't faded just a touch, that if fresh and/or fresh and on tap the aroma wouldn't pop just a bit more and fill out the flavor just a tad more.

As it is, this is my favorite pilsner to date, and I wouldn't be surprised until I get to Europe and get some fresh locals if that doesn't change.

A favorite.

Thanks to dyan for pointing this one out to me, and to LJArsenal and eyncognito for the trades.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

I don't have much experience with authentic Czech Pilsners, but I like almost everything New Glarus touches. Here we go...

Brilliant golden orange color! Both head and body have some deep substance to them. Smell is of crisp biscuty grains and a pop of hops to wake you up a little bit. Flavor of the grains tastes a bit toasty and honey-sweet with a little bitter hop chaser at the end. Fine carbonation, medium-light body, and quite a dry finish that begs for another.

A well built lager, no doubt about it. It doesn't get a perfect score because I think the reputation and pricing of NG's "Unplugged" line would call for a little more boldness in flavor-- its too bad this isn't a year round offering because this would be prince of the session beers if it came in a sixer at the usual NG price. Still, very good.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Big thanks to Masterski for providing this in a recent trade. He's an excellent trader.

Poured this into my pilsner glass and was greeted with a perfect two finger head of light white foam. Almost like whipped egg whites.. This did fade to a ¼ inch cap that remained. The lacing was perfect. Rings all down the opposite side of the glass from where I drank the beer. Very nice. Bright Gold color. A touch darker then a typical pilsner. Nice color A touch of copper, but mostly gold.

Aroma was fresh.. Of light toasted grain, almost bready... maybe a touch doughy. A bit of spice and a hint of yeast... Nice aroma.

Flavor is excellent front to back. Nice light malt tones and just a hint of sweetness. Very crisp and a nice light hop finish.. Really nice for a pilsner. Well done.

Light crisp body and mouth feel. Very bright.

Excellent drinkability and a wonderful example of the style

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Smell: hoppy nose with a robust malt aroma.

Appearance: a beautiful crisp and clear, golden color. White, foamy head with good retention.

Taste: a smoooth, smooth, balanced pilsner. Hops up front and malt all around. It tastes "full" compared to most pilsners.

Mouthfeel: again, full, and smooth - soft even.

Drinkability: easy, easy drinking that I'd be happy to endure for several hours.

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle courtesy of DBhog - thanks a bunch for this longtime want. The mother of all Bohemian Lagers (allegedly) was split w/ dkachur, w/ my portion poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a crisp, translucent golden body, capped by a magnificent foamy, sticky white head, the retention on which was amazing. The lacing is also fantastic for the style, stringy and delicate but sticky nonetheless. The carbonation is also off the hook, fast and fine-bubbled, plentiful and well-dispersed. Just a very attractive beer.

Aroma: One word: honey nut cherrios. Ok, that's three words, but still. I acknowledge that my tulip is concentrating and focusing the aroma differently than Dan's glass, but I get overwhelmingly honey-like, cereal-like notes, sweet and wholesome, faintly reminiscent of caramel and oats, very robust. It's backed up by a light, faintly grassy hop presence, light and delectable.

Taste: Essentially the nose, but more balance. Huge cereal-like malts, oaty, wholesome, slightly roasted with overtones of caramel and dry toffee. It's not overly sweet though, and what is there is cut well by a grassy, slightly spicy, faintly citrusy hop presence and a mild, mild backing bitterness. Just a very down-to-earth, wholesome, "local" tasting beer. Damn fine.

Mouthfeel: Again, very, very good. Perhaps a hair thicker than I'd expect a pilsener to be, but that's really my only complaint. The carbonation is plentiful and fine, lending enough crispness that it works well with the flavor profile.

Drinkability: The best Czech Pilsener ever? Best one I've ever had, at least. I imagine this is what lagers/pilseners tasted like back when they tasted like ... well, anything, wholesome and balanced, crisp and clean. The abv% on this can't be above 5.5% or so, and is probably even lower, so kudos to New Glarus for once again making an eminently sessionable, enjoyable, delicious brew with all natural, local ingredients, keeping the old school brewing tradition alive.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The 2 boxes I received from Abents were really amazing! 2 well packaged boxes that were a looking glass from Boise to Madison... simply astounding... unending boxes!! Thanks Adam... I know New Glarus has a great rep on the Unplugged series... but I love great lagers.... and am very much hoping this one meets my lofty standards.... Poured into my shaped SA glass.

Easy 2 finger head.. sticks around forever.. great sticky big bubble lace.. Crystal clear. gold.. really.... honestly.... very pretty... crusty lace should be in pictures.. I'm surprised .. wow.. dried out lace just shatters when you touch it.

Smells Czech!! Seriously.. I don't know how to describe continental maltiness.. but this brew has it! Rich maltiness with floral and lesser spicy hoppiness... toasty?.. biscuit?? I don't know but this is what I think of when I think "Czech."

Very smooth... oooh so smooth! I love well made lagers.. especially when they taste fresh... this brew is great.. pale malts with a little bread.. some toast? Perfect bitterness for the brew... spicy hoppiness is again damn near perfect... very clean.. nothing from the yeast ever comes in to play.. mouthfeel is perfect.. reminds me of the best examples from my best homebrewer buddies.. just great... very smooth and very complex at the same time..

Adam... This was an EPIC trade!! I don't know if I can match your level!! Please remember me when you're famous! :-)

Edit: Wow!! Finishing the last sips of this brew... really this should be the "standard" for Bohemian Pils.. just perfect... screw Europe.. All Hail Wisconsin!!! No really.. I'm not joking.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to younger35 for this 12 oz bottle.

A: The pilsener is a brilliant orange-yellow color that is sol-like (except for the overwhelming, eye-burning brightness). A finger and a half of dense head has nicely laced around the mouth of the glass.

S: The nose is loaded with crisp, earthy Saaz hops. Sweet biscuit malts, doughy, follow the hops.

T: The hops really drive the taste, with an earthy yet floral taste that has a high bitterness behind it. They leave a crisp finish in the mouth. The malts are very doughy, sweet biscuits. Despite the sweetness, the lager is very dry.

M: The mouthfeel is very sweet, almost too sweet. The hops have a bitter complexity that, when coupled with the sweet malts, becomes more evident.

D: The lager could use a) more hops or b) less sweetness. Fix either side and the dry crispness will sparkle.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks TATURBO for this one!
Pours clear golden color with nice foamy white head. Smell - grassy malts, some very light honey like sweetness. Taste - very clean, a bit bitter, some sweeteness coming through. Very clean, crisp and refreshing, great lager. Extremely drinkable.
Would meke an excellent session beer.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle. Pours a clear light orange with a small white head. Aroma of toasted malts, cracker malt, and some skunk. Flavor of vegetable stew and cracker malt. It's pretty decent, kind of odd tasting to me though. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I did enjoy drinking it.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into my NB Sniffer.

Not much of a head but some bubbles linger on the ring. Would have liked to see a head on this style. Golden strawberry blonde body, translucent. Great lacing on the glass. Smell is pepper, straw. Very clean, pilsner malt flavors, slightly sweet finish. Highly carbonated mouth. Tasty for a style I don't lean for. Thanks to Chris (Taturbo) for the brew.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle received in trade.

Appearance: Typical golden lager

Smell: Typical golden lager

Taste: Typical golden lager

Mouthfeel: A touch thin but normal for the style

Drinkability: Easy to down

It's official. I don't like Lagers. Although New Glarus makes a good one.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Slightly fogged medium lemon gold color topped with a small starchy fluffed white foam and lots of lacing spread in torn sheets across the glass.

Aroma is very wholesome and powered well in the nose with a full on amount of rounded bready, doughy sweet malts. Slightly grassy notes and crusted with a light toasty faction.

Flavors are bold and lasting with a whole lot of firm bready sweet malts edged with a partial touch of toastyness and grassy grains. Very lasting and impressionable with a super keen little dryness airing off the finish as the malts lay its foundation of bread dough in each sip.

Firm chewy body of largely more then mediumness in its malt distribution. Tenderly crisp yet keeps a rounded tone of bready sweetness far reaching throughout every bud of tasting.

One heck of a solid beer! Quite tasty and lasting with a great breadyness. Another yummy addition to the Unplugged line up of New Glarus.

Unplugged Bohemian Lager from New Glarus Brewing Company