Alt - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Altbier |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-09-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alt Alström Bros
3.76/5  rDev -6.5%

Date: 10/12/2013
Type: 12oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2008
Glass: East End Tulip

*Big thanks to TATURBO for getting me this long time want to sample! Finally, knocking this one off the list.

Pours a light brown mahogany in color w/ a skim coat white head that leaves light lacing on the glass. Aromas of dark fruits, light tropical fruits, caramel malts, and that spicy/herbal quality typical of Alts. The flavor was of dark fruits (plum/fig) mixed w/ tropical notes and caramel, leading into a bit of oxidation and wet cardboard, and finishing w/ herbal spice and mild hop bite. Medium bodied and lush and finishes clean and light. Pretty drinkable except for the off oxidation flavor.

Overall, slightly disappointed as this one has fallen off as Chris had warned me about. However, I could see underneath the oxidation as to the wonderful brew this once was. Amazing that a lagered Doppelsticke Alt has fallen off and oxidized after only 5yrs.! One would think the extended conditioning would benefit a good Alt, I guess New Glarus has yet to master the Alt the way Uerige has. Anyway, New Glarus please brew this again! (1,116 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Thin tan head on a clear dark orange beer. Decent to good head retention with a little lacing.

Definite spice, alittle oxidation.

Hops are there but a little subdued. Real sweet aftertaste. Well hiddden alcohol!

Still carbonated nicely with a medium to medium thin mouthfeel.

Held up pretty well. Second venture into the Alt style, this being the best thusfar. This is the second time TATURBO has pulled this out, glad I reviewed it this time...thanks for helping the NG tickathon Chris. (491 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a slightly-cloudy (partly chill haze) copper in color, topped with a lighter tan head that recedes after a couple of minutes. Minimal lacing.

Nose is a little bit different, definitely more fruit-forward than any of the imported German Altbiers I've sampled over the years. There are definitely notes of tropical fruit (e.g. pineapple) blended with ripe and tart apple, and this one is sweet and yeasty all at once. No hops presence that I can detect. A lighter booziness in the nose, but considering the ABV for the style I'd expect this to be boozier than it is -- I imagine that several years since in the bottle since it was packaged has mellowed this aspect. There's also lighter notes of toffee and vanilla.

Sweet, tangy and musty on the first sip, and there's definitely been some oxidation (and doubtless some fading of the flavor profile), but there's still a good bit of potency here. Juicy and fruit forward, just as it was on the nose ("fruit punch" comes to mind), with a light cherry tang paired with green grapes and grapeskins. Despite the lack of hops on the nose there's still plenty of lingering bitterness here to balance the sweetness. The alcohol is warming and subtle enough for the strength of the beer. Chocolate notes in the finish, and they definitely linger and blend with the other fruit notes as this one warms.

This one is definitely not to style in the sense of a traditional Alt, although Uber Alt or Doppel Sticke would work as a descriptor. More than anything I'm getting British barleywine / old ale, and it's favorably reminiscent of e.g. a fresher 'Lee's Harvest Ale'.

Whatever the style, New Glarus Alt is an impressive beer and one that I'd say is among the more memorable beers from the brewery -- worth seeking out (and I'm guessing it won't be re-visited...). (1,813 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Had to hide the BA rating real quick 'cause I'm not sure where it's gonna go and I don't wanna be influenced by it.

OMFG only three more days after this...wow...

Thanks be to great and excellent cohort in beer trading GraniteSkunk for the fine extra. Prost, mein freunde!!!

The basics: No idea on price (though I suspect it's hefty) and 9.5% ABV (nice)...

The beer looks good, a tasty yet cloudy amber with an orange hue...Nice three fingers of persistent head, yet a decided lack of lacing. Above average but towing the line, so to speak...

I'm in one of those moods, ya know...A mood wherein I like to picture what woman this beer reminds me of. So far it's very cute, yet not as stunning as many others. Methinks it will be one of those that surprises ya in the end...

Ahh, the aromas are wonderful...I get a lot of caramel malt, heaps of it, in fact. A nice strong sweetness also, that must be from the Turbinado sugar. The aromas meld well, and there are other things going on, such that I get things like roses and lavender in there also. It's compelling. Riding on top of all this is also a plethora ("Would you say I have a PLETHORA of balloons?") of berry notes: raspberry and blueberry being alpha amongst them. Very excellent...

This beer is striking me as the Robin Wright of ales: Compelling and beautiful, with a mysterious intrigue hiding beneath the surface...

The flavor is off the chain...It's very big and uber-malty. Lots of caramel malt smacks you around. The alcohol is VERY apparent, however...So much so some will be turned off by it. The oaked aspect is subdued rather than forefront, and lends it a wonderful characteristic. Kind of like drinking in Germany out of a wooden flagon...The beer evolves as it warms, such that the bigger malt flavors take the place of the alcohol...I still get a touch of raspberry in there also. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's what I get. Wonderfully made beer, and complex enough for a second round to really pull all the nuances out. Great beer and definitely worth tracking down.

What I like most: The wonderfully complex and inviting flavor profile.

What I like least: The strong alcohol notes when it's cold.

Verdict: Fantastic and unique, worth tracking down in every sense of the word. (2,257 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz bottle poured into glass - i forget who sent me this, but thanks!

Pours a brilliant auburn color with some golden orange hues. A thick off-white head bubbles up and dissolves fairly quickly, retaining with some film. Some patches of lacing as well.

Somewhat richer, doughy malts with breaded notes. Burnt brown sugar with some hints of candied dark fruit. Some oaky notes as well, maybe a hint of oxidation?

A bit sweet up front with raisin and cherry. Thick malted backbone with caramel and bread crust. Some earthy, woody tones with sweetness and burnt sugar. Noticeable booze heat in the finish with some residual sugar.

Fuller medium body, high carbonation, somewhat dry and chewy. This was pretty solid, although I think it might be showing signs of turning a bit. (780 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.2%

A-Pours a rich copper color with two fingers of off white head.

S-Smells of some dark fruit/Munich malt and some mild, estery yeast.

T-Follows the nose with dark fruit and clean, slightly herbal hop presence.

M-Light to medium bodied with a light drying feel and low carbonation.

D-This beer is a little better fresh, but not bad with some considerable age on it. (367 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Not for the first time and not for the last time, a big thanks goes out to zimmerbloke for sending me another delight. I knew nothing about this 12 ounce bottle until I opened it tonight and took one sniff. Oh my. I had to find out more. The label says that this has a three hour boil of caramel malts and turbinado, is open fermented, and aged on oak. A little research tells me that this is over two years old and contains an ABV over 9%. This is no ordinary Alt beer here. A review is definitely in order. Split with my wife into our matching pair of Portsmouth snifters. On to my thoughts.

A: The turbinado reference is appropriate here... Melted to be exact with a nice clarity. A finger of dusty white head dissipates to a spotty cap. We've actually got some nice unexpected legs here. Off to a nice start. I can't find any reason to dock any points. 5/5

S: As nice as this looks, the smell is where I really start to take note. Sugary dates initially come to mind. The brown alcohol is totally unrestrained and plays lead guitar to the sweet dried fruits rhythm pacing. Staying on the 4 piece band theme, the drums keeping time in the background would have to be the acidic twang that seems to be the New Glarus signature. The bass player would be the faint vanilla hue that is interesting in this beer, and similarly hidden in the background of a band. I still see no need to dock any points. 5/5

T: The copious amount of fermentables gives off a pure caramel sweetness that is highlighted by some cinnamon-like spiciness from the biting wood and kissed by the same vanilla found in the nose. An interesting extra flavor I had a hell of a hard time putting a finger on, just revealed itself to me as grape seed... Very interesting. I'm having a hard time picking out any other flavor characteristics but the ones it does have are well integrated and in wonderful balance. It should be noted that the alcohol from the aroma is minimal on the taste buds. 4.5/5

M: Smooth, crisp, and full-bodied? That's a rare feat for a beer to accomplish, but this one does just that. 5/5

D: This bad boy is immensely drinkable. Bring it back as an "Unplugged" beer at the very least Mr. Carey. You've got a real winner here and given a little hype, this would have beer geeks falling all over themselves to get a hold of. I do believe this beer seals the deal for me. New Glarus is my favorite brewery in America... Its not even a contest anymore. 5/5 (2,449 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Had this at a small tasting recently. Reviewed from notes.

a - peach color. white head.

s - wow this is sweet. cotton candy and malts.

t - mellowed flavor. some hops, oak, booze and candied malts.

m - medium body. good carbonation still.

overall - drinking great, just the flavor seems mellow. (298 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a beautiful copper bronze color with a thick rocky off white head and great lacing. The head eventually settles down to a rim above the glorious liquid. Smells of rum soaked fruits, biscuit, yeast bread and a little alcohol. Tastes of sweet malts mellowed with a little hops and notes of fig, plum, rum, maple, and vanilla. Mouthfeel is wonderful with thickness and rich carbonation. Drinkability is superb. (413 characters)

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. III Issue I:

Big bubbled lace shows the sugar in this beer; the head retention is unharmed. Tawny color, a little hazy as well. Sweet bready malt in the nose; some cider-ish aromas from the sugar and complexity, yet they don't overwhelm. Big creamy smoothness rolls around in the medium body. Maltly all around with biscuit and bread crust written all over it. Modest yet firm herbal hop flavor flexes a small bitterness. Slightly oaky and yeasty as well, some apple skin and dry wood add amazing depth to this beer. The finish turns very dry with lots of clean grain and wood tones for the taste buds to sort out.

Not so pure, as the addition of sugar disses the passé German Purity Law. But you know we love a little bit of defiance when it comes to breweries and their beer. Fermented in oak and bottle conditioned, a beer geek's fantasy in a bottle. (895 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a three finger head that slides around the sides of the pint glass and leaves a few clumps here and there

Smell: Bready and woody, with a cidery sweetness underneath

Taste: Starts out with an herbal, rum-soaked stone fruit character that adds both sweetness and fusel alcohol flavors by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors add the bready and woody dimensions that I detected in the aroma; the finish has a bit of fusel alcohol in it

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation and some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: A very interesting twist with rather bold flavors but lacks the underlying fruity complexity I enjoy in an Alt; it took me a while to get my arms around it but in the end, I really didn't enjoy it that much

Thanks, ThomasHardy, for the opportunity (828 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pint glass pour. Sleeping in the fridge for the past month.

Copper body with a bit of haze. Half inch of powdery soft, off-white head.

The beer fumes with cherry & apricot pits. Crusty bread, toffee, & fuming lacquer making up the rest of the scent.

Taste is quite sweet with caramel, but with a sharp acidic edge of unripened fruit cutting into it; Nearly tart. A little salty. Mild, but enduring wintergreen hops. Strong Belgian esters. Bolder then Long Trail's Double Bag ever was.

Body sizzles with carbonation up front, but thins out from the middle on. Pungent oak/whiskey notes. Stiff alcohol. Grass & oats feel & finish; neigh neigh.

A bit more sustenance then I need on a regular basis, but it has been a bit nippy this winter without heating oil.

Thanks to adfenton for the excellent throw in. (809 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle from a six I picked up as a souvenir at Siegel's on Kinnickinnick in beautiful Milwaukee, WI.

I've had this beer in my room for about a year, waiting for a proper occasion. The night before a major international trip? Sounds good to me.

Pours a beautiful peachy amber, translucent, but not too cloudy. Two fingers of foam recede, leaving a thin head on top.

Smells of fruit; peaches, dates...maybe a touch of fresh wheat? The smell only makes me want to wipe the foam off my beard and drink it.

Definite fruit notes. Oranges, apples, cinnamon, coriander...very good. Well balanced. Malt notes too, but more muted than the fruit. Slight tinge of alcohol at the finish, but surprisingly small for the strength of this beer.

I wish they still made this beer...there's only two left from my pack. Ah well, all good things must come to an end, right? (880 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance - Amber color. Big two-finger head formed upon pour. A very small subtle carbonation feeds a nice ring. No lacing.

Smell - A muted mellow nose. Woody with a caramel presence. A bit of a spice kick as well. Almost reminded me a of cinnamon or allspice. Very appealing.

Taste - Hmm, after drinking several Belgians over the past few days, this is a nice change. A smokey body with a pronounced alcohol presence. A complex brew with loads of sweetness and body. Almost a barrel-aging oak finish. Hops? Thankfully none that I can detect.

Mouthfeel - A body that grows on you. The carbonation helps convey a very warm and dense feel.

Drinkability - A rare find here. Not sure if I can find this one again, but if I do, I'll trade for one for sure. (760 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

GLASS: Stange
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

This one is a nice golden orange color, with a light bit of haziness. A loose head of off-white foam, about one-finger's worth, sits on top. It dissipates rather quickly and there is really no lacing to speak of.

Major bubble gum scent, like juicy fruit in a glass. Lots of citrus and orchard fruits. Nicely mild caramel malt presence. Nice level of yeastiness. Mild hint of oak.

Now, that is really good. It's like peaches, pears, apples and pineapples lightly drizzled with caramel while sitting on a biscuit. Lots of banana and some light bubblegum notes. Mildly spicy with cloves and corriander.

Medium-bodied, but it works for the style. Medium level of carbonation, which IMO it could use a bit more of.

Very tasty and I'd love to have a bunch of them to dip into, from time to time. Nicely drinkable. (862 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured into a stemmed pokal with a fat bottom (almost a cylindar) nice and frothy huge light tan head, murky brownish copper lightly orange.

S - Very fruity, orange citrus

T - Wow, very fruity initially with a sweet malt dominance, banana, bubble gumish belgian yeast, clove spice, orange, apricot, coriander, a little maple syrup

M - A little slippery on the tounge, moderate carbonation, average body.

D - really quite tasty, not sure I've had one quite like this before. Has a banana taste to it like a hef, but also has that fruity belgian yeast taste. It's like a fruit salad. (591 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

12oz bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours hazy copper with a fluffy light tan head that sticks well. Smells of grain, caramel sweetness, and some woody, earthy notes. Slight alcohol. Sweet caramel malt taste; very bready. The hop bitterness is there, but the hop character doesn't really jump out. Plum-like fruit notes. Sweet, warming finish. Light-medium feel that's almost sticky. I don't like "double alts" on principle, but this one was actually decent; certainly better than any other I've had. (490 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Again, much love to alcstradamus for keeping me awash in New Glarus!

I didn't have a stange, so the closest I could come was a pilsner. Pours a beautiful dark orange with highlights at the bottom. Started with a few fingers' head, dropped to a dusting. No lacing to speak of. Tight, fast bubbles.

Sweetness greets my nose like fresh butterscotch cookies or Belgian waffles. Yum! A little booziness -- the beer smells strong. I'm sniffing for hops & not finding any. A tiny bit of the oak.

Delicious taste of maple sugar that intensifies with a swish or two in the mouth. The alcohol's on the strong side in the taste, but it doesn't taste like liquor. There's enough there that a warming sensation hits me in the nose with each sip. Just a tinge of piny hop in the finish & aftertaste.

Mouthfeel's not bad. For a beer this sweet, I'm surprised it doesn't coat my mouth & feel sticky. My saliva's thickening, like when eating candy (too detailed?). That oak is definitely there in the aftertaste, just little pinpricks in the back of my mouth.

I could have another & call it a night (even though it's 5:30 now). Overall a delicious offering from New Glarus. Unfortunately, most of my faves from them appear to be retired. (1,226 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Retired?!?! nooooOOO!
Holy Moly this is freakin tasty and smelly good brew.
Poured from bottle into my Duvel tulip.

One finger off white head didn't last long, No lacing left, D is all that is left of the head. Transparent red body. Nose is of a Belgian, really fruity yeast, pears, sweet, tasty. Taste is sweet like candy sugar up front, fruity on the finish, pineapple, peach, a little hot, but not bad. Very carbonated on the tongue, almost numbing. Concentrated Kol-aid powder, Belgian yeast, wow, this is probably the best/most complex Alt I've had. Body is a bit over carbonated, but I don't mind. Lots of flavored burps aren't bad. (639 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this thoughtful extra. Very nice surprise, Brady. Thanks.

Alt is very clear and a nice caramel color. It has a nice bronze tint to it. It's topped with a very generous, slightly off-white head that easily stands two and a half fingers tall. It was slow to completely dissipate, but left a rather thin lacing behind. All in all, pretty good looking stuff.

The nose is good, but isn't a standout. It's sweet smelling and full of caramel malt. There's some fruity undertones (apple and pear) that further its sweet aroma, but work nicely with its malty base. Yeast is rather prominent in the nose. It's slightly biscuity, but not bad by any means. Alcohol is noted and is more pronounced than expected. I didn't know this was over 9%, but I have no trouble believing that after smelling it. It's not quite boozy, but it's there. Oak or wood chips emerge on the tail. That's a nice touch that drives it up a notch.

The first sip reveals a slightly sweet flavor. Caramel malt is noted, but isn't all that strong in flavor. A little apple and pear are complementary, but don't seem to add any sweetness. The big surprise here is the strong oak flavor. It's very prominent and really has a strong positive impact on the flavor. I like that quite a bit. A little spice flavor creeps. It tastes mostly like cinnamon, but it's subtle. It's slightly yeasty and there's a little alcohol here. It's not quite warm and doesn't offend at all. I'm a little on the fence here. There's no question that this is good stuff. But, it's just not quite deep enough to earn a higher score. It's not far. I really like the oak flavor. If some of the other flavors were just a little stronger, it might be a different story.

Alt has a light body that leans medium. It feels just a little too thin. Carbonation is relatively light. I wouldn't characterize it as smooth. Needs a little more body. Drinkability is good overall. Alt is good beer, but it's not quite great beer. At 9.5%, it's strong, but isn't too intimidating. I'm enjoying it, but a single bottle will do.

New Glarus has an excellent lineup of beer. This one's very good, but doesn't make their 'A' list. It's an interesting beer for me. What I liked so much about it initially (the strong oak flavor) is probably the very thing that masks some of the other flavors and keeps it from being an excellent beer. I suppose I don't always end up where I start. That being said, it is more than a solid beer that's worth checking out if you have the opportunity. Thanks, Brady. (2,541 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A--Dark, murky copper color with two full fingers of head that didn't camp out for very long

S--Bright, almost tart citrus smell. Sweet caramel maltiness, this stings the nose a little bit

T--The nose translates to the taste almost perfectly. There is a malt dominance, but there is a not-quite-tart citrus fruit flavor that really makes this one interesting. Fine stuff!

M--Light bodied with stinging carbonation

D--A very good brew from New Glarus. I am starting to warm up to them a little and this is one of the best they make in my opinion (548 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Got this from Beertracker, cheers Jeff!

Pours an effervescent copper with 1 thumb+ of cream colored head. Good lacing & average head retention

S: Breadyness, apricot, & cherry

T: Cherry, cakeyness & slight smokeyness & dryness. Nice mix of honey & apricots as this warms, vanilla, & oakyness as well. Finishes dry with caramel & hints of shortbread with cherries on top.

MF: Medium bodied, soft carbonation & decent balance

Drinks fairly easy for the ABV, this a nice take on the dopplesticke IMO (502 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

eyncognito sent me two of these, one of which I drank tonight. Thank you, Ian

A: Clear amber with a large off-white head with good retention. Plenty of visible carbonation. Great stuff!

S: Rich and malty while not syrupy. There's a great dark fruit character - raisins, dark plums, brown sugar, caramel. There's also an earthy, herbal hop character with a mild citrus/eucalyptus-like note. Plenty of sweetness though. Mildly phenolic as it warms up.

T: Fairly light in body, this alt opens up with a great malt character. Fruity and a little fresh with a farmer's market bouquet - brown sugar, honey, mild floral charcter. Fruity with plums as well as some lighter citrus and grape. There's a phenolic zing present as well. Drying finish with a unique blend of earthy hops and caramel and brown sugar

M: Light, crisply carbonated and an enjoyable, drying finish

D: Thoroughly enjoyable, I'd drink my last bottle if it wasn't that - my last bottle.

**Edit 25 May 2011**

It looks like I managed to score another one of these. Two years since my original review.

The nose is rather marvelous. rich, figgy, bready, caramel, toffee, nougat and a little bit of smoke, this is rather fantastic. Rich fruitiness is present, this has an excellent nose. The palate shows a little bit more oxidation, more of the fruity kind rather than the papery. Rummy, bready, brown sugar, mild smoke and a moderate raisin and port oxidative character, this is excellent. Scores stand. (1,469 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

pour is amber with a medium head. not much lace. no murk what so ever. smell is alcohol... when agitated some wood, walnut, and apple come forth. but mainly alcohol. palate is quite peppery. sort of sharp on the tongue. this is the predominant duality in the beer. heat of pepper and heat of abv. in the finish walnut, apple, bread, oak and heat. had more so the appeal of a oak aged high alcohol lager with an effort at making it interesting. so with that said. i respect this beer. i would like to see more brewery tackle the alt. a good start... but drink it quite cold.

looking back and realizing with it being 9.5 abv... i can see the expectation of smoother lighter alt going out the window. still a bit much i believe. (726 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Bronze, decent head and some lacing.

Smells of malt, spices, and wood. I also get fresh apples for some reason.

Caramel malt, cherry, alcohol, sugar, cola, cocoa, wood and clove. Complex? Yes.

Mouthfeel smooth, carbonation bubbly.

This was inventive and drinkable. Never really had an Altbier that made an impression either way, but this is a winner. Has some Belgian qualities to it, reminiscent of something Unibroue would make. Seek it out. (447 characters)

Alt from New Glarus Brewing Company