Alt - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Altbier |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-09-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alt Alström Bros
Ratings: 157 | Reviews: 124
1.48/5  rDev -63.4%

Wow, not only is this NOT a traditional Alt in any sense, it's a horrible beer period.

Shoe polish, sweet malt, and a whiff of hop bitterness in the nose.

Huge phenols and solvent in the taste. Drink your wife's nail polish remover - it's probably cheaper and tastes largely the same. Seriously. I am saving the remaining bottles for a "Flawed Beers Seminar" I am leading for a BJCP exam prep course.

Appearance is good for style - clear, copper, good head retention.

This simply isn't an alt according to the style guidelines. More concerning though is that this is not a clean beer period. The solvent harshness make this beer undrinkable.

2.46/5  rDev -39.1%

12 ounce bottle from a six pack. Since this is not brewed anymore, the beer may be a bit dated.

A- a deep, reddish color
S- somewhat of a burnt odor to it
T- again somewhat of a burnt or bitter flavor
M- avearge carbonation
D- I won't miss it now that it's retired

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%

Thanks go out to beerbeagle for adding this extra in a recent trade. Thank you!

Note: This is the first Alt beer I've ever had, so my review may not be up to par with my other reviews for its' style and my findings.

Pours a slightly hazy, dull copper with a thin mocha head and little head retention.

Nose is a strange bitter, caramel and apple phenol mix.

This is a light bodied and medium flavored brew with more of the apple phenol traits mentioned in the nose. Moderately complex mix of candied sweets, lightly toasted malts and apples. I can definitely see how this was barrel aged in light wooded barrels (like a white wine). Average carbonation on my tongue and a slightly bitter apple trail on the finish.

Again, I am not versed in Alt-style beers, but if I was blind-folded, I would have guessed this to be a lighter version of Southern Tier's recently released Cuvee Series #1. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of that beer, as well. Something about their barrel aging method turned me off, as it was too unusual for me...

2.91/5  rDev -28%

bottle from bockyhorsey...

pours a hazy copper orange with a fairly large soft off white head. lots of drippy and spotty lacing is left on the glass.

initial blast of floral alcohol on this one... bananas come to mind followed by rich caramel malt, piloncilla sugar, yeast and some grassiness.

no doubt that this is on the sweet side for my palate... loads of brown sugar, malt, earthy spice, over cooked caramelized d'anjou pears and some florals before alcohol comes in on the finish. something strange in there... reminds me of a chemical laden malt liquor (perhaps the abv%, idk). there also seems to be a faint tartness in the background trying to get out. a daunting task given the sugar content...

thick sticky body coats the palate with a gritty texture similar to banana starch.

i'm not digging this one. far too sweet for me and lacking a whole lot of character to mix it up. i'd be hard pressed to choke down a bottle. good thing i've got superdave70 here....
6/4/5/3/12/3.0

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a mini-pilsener glass.

Medium rosy amber brew with tan head that recedes to a ring.

Caramel malt hits the nose. On the palate there is a surprising heaviness, sweetness, cooked caramelized effect that does not remind me of alts I have tried in the past...I expect a dry, pleasing toastiness. Therefore the fine NG brewers are creating a different beast here, another style of alt, perhaps. The heaviness leaves this beer less enjoyable an drinkable for me, so I sadly proclaim my opinion that this is one of the weker NG offerings. They set the bar very high though, being one of teh best breweries in the country.

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Another one from the highly rated New Glarus. This beer makes me think over rated New Glarus.

A: Nice hazy copper/amber coloring. Nice 4 cm froth head that took a while to settle. Good beer foreplay.

S: Rather inviting warm smell, apples and aramel, a dash of banana. Smells German enough.

T: At first it was mild apples and caramel taste, but the end was a lot of alcohol, astringent and unpleasant that lingers. Makes my tongue want to go through the roof of my mouth.

M: Medium body with ample carbonation

D: The price is right the taste is not so right.

3.21/5  rDev -20.5%

Ah, my first beer at Three Cellars new beer cafe/store location on 76th Street. The good news - I thought this beer was pretty true to style. The bad news - a lot of diacetyl and some copper-iness.

It poured a brilliant brassy color with pretty minimal white head. Aroma was caramel-y and a touch of malted milk ball. Flavor was some caramel, quite a bit of copper taste, and lots of diacetyl. Mouthfeel was pretty good.

Not bad, but not a new favorite of mine. I'd weakly recommend.

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove. Thanks!
Tawny amber with a bit of haze and a big, fluffy off-white head. Looks pretty good. Aromas of malt and caramel, plus some fruity apples, faint spice and mild alcohol. Pretty much the same in the flavour, but with quite a lot of apple and some definite alcohol character in the finish. Bitterness was restrained and caramel sweetness dominated up front. Lightish bodied with average carbonation level, nice texture. I was really looking forward to this beer, due to great experiences with New Glarus products, but was ultimately disappointed. I'm not saying this is a bad beer by any means - it's quite drinkable - it just didn't seem like a great altbier to me.

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: Orange-amber, yeast chunks, good sized head.

Smell: Oaky, sweet, fruity.

Taste: Reminds me of wine. Not really boozy, somewhat fruity but mainly oak and a dry finish.

Drinkability: Not the greatest flavor combination for my palate, but I won't have trouble finishing the 6er.

This is probably the first New Glarus beer that I am not crazy about. I think the beer takes on a little too many of the characteristics of the barrel it was aged in. Ok to try.

3.31/5  rDev -18.1%

Appearance: pours a transparent hazy golden brown. Had about 3 fingers worth of an off white head. Settles to about an 1/8 inch of foam. Good retention.

Smell: Apple on the first whiff. Various fruits.

Taste: Has a musty sweetness to it. This beer is very fruity with an alcohol twang right after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, moderate carbonation, quite smooth I would say too.

This beer is smooth but has some unusaul flavors im not used to. I dont think I would ever but it again.

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to kenoftheyear for this guy. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an American pint glass. It pours a nice clean golden clear brownish color, with a small head and a slight carbonation. In the aroma I am getting a slight sour malt smell. There is also a good amount of sugar aromas coming out. The taste is slightly sour with a large amount of warm alcohol coming through. Similar to what you might expect from a bourbon. In the finish there is a slight oak with a small hop bite.

This is a lot more complex then other alt beers I have had. So being very unique it is very interesting. But personal not very drinkable for myself.

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

A - Three fingers of off white head with good lacing and retention. Rich amber body with orange tints. Attractive!

S - Big amber malts and esters in the nose. Pear, herbs (mint?), and grassy/spicy hops round out the aroma. Defiantly a sweeter aroma than most Alts I have had in the past.

T - The entry was interesting: a very herbal caramel malt profile, with spice from the hops hitting my mouth right away. Hops to balance out the beer, but not too much more. Alcohol is present and prickly. Lingering flavor that reminds me of Wintergreen gum.

M - Mid body and crispness. Standard. If anything, a little too crisp...

D - An interesting example for sure. The malts themselves seemed dead on. I felt that the herbal quality, though present in most Alts I've had, were a bit extreme in this beer, and muddled some of the other qualities of the beer. The hops lent nice spice, but I would have actually liked to have seem more bittering hops used. Not a bad beer, interesting, but I would grab a Uerige over this 9 times out of 10...

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured with a nice head and almost no lace. Very slightly hazy deep amber. Aroma is a heady sweet, caramel, a bit fruity, malt. Flavor is very sweet, malty with a tinge of bitter on tongue tip. Nothing at all like the Alts from Germany I've had which were much drier. Not bad. Full bodied and thankfully enough carbonation to stand up to the sweetness. Sweet finish. Some chemical flavors too. Not a session beer. Ok finish.

3.41/5  rDev -15.6%

A-Pours a rich copper color with two fingers of off white head.

S-Smells of some dark fruit/Munich malt and some mild, estery yeast.

T-Follows the nose with dark fruit and clean, slightly herbal hop presence.

M-Light to medium bodied with a light drying feel and low carbonation.

D-This beer is a little better fresh, but not bad with some considerable age on it.

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

12oz bottle. Thanks Adam! Pours hazy copper with a fluffy light tan head that sticks well. Smells of grain, caramel sweetness, and some woody, earthy notes. Slight alcohol. Sweet caramel malt taste; very bready. The hop bitterness is there, but the hop character doesn't really jump out. Plum-like fruit notes. Sweet, warming finish. Light-medium feel that's almost sticky. I don't like "double alts" on principle, but this one was actually decent; certainly better than any other I've had.

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

(A) Copper colored. Pours with an active, foamy head. Visible signs of carbonation.
(S) A sweet, green apple-like aroma.
(T) Slightly sour on the frontside, then fades into smoky malt sweetness, and finishes smoothly with a mild hop bitterness.
(M) Has a slight syrupy feel with crisp carbonation.
(D) A decent brew, more of a sipping beer than a big gulping beer.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sierra Nevada hops glass. No date. The body was rich golden-brown in color with a huge pithy, khaki-colored head. There was a slight haze in the body.

Smell was fruity. Cantaloupe and metal.

Taste was sweet maltiness. Tart, syrupy malt. Bread dough. Light booziness.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and medium to light in carbonation. Smooth, silkiness.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Not long ago, New Glarus solicited opinions about what seasonals they should brew. I suggested a sticke, figuring that Dan Carey would do a great job with any German brew, given how well they do lagers. Low and behold, they had an alt in the works for Christmas, and as I understand the style, it is on the big side for an alt. A Yuletide sticke? I'm fairly unfamiliar with the style, so my review will not be entirely along style guidelines.

This beer is a brilliant orange blossom honey color with a tawny head that fades readily, leaving some lacing on the glass. For some dumb personal reason, I have a soft spot for this color; it just looks so delicious.

The initial aroma was a rich breadiness, with maybe a hint of caramel, and a slight banana-like fruitiness (ethyl acetate?), which maybe is a little out of place, and a but of alcohol perfume. Absolutely no hop aroma.

The taste is clean malt with some residual sweetness. Hop levels counter the sweetness, to some degree, but it seems slightly out of balance, one-dimensional.

The mouthfeel is a bit slick. The sweetness slightly cloying, and the body a bit heavy, which coupled with high alcohol, impacts the drinkability of this beer for me. Other New Glarus beers have set the mark high, at least for me, and this beer, for which I had great anticipation, and this one does quite rise to the same heights, for me.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours to a misty, darkened, peachy brass with a solid rise of moderately sticky sand-colored suds.
The nose is interesting, if a bit out of norm for a alt (and that will be a recurring theme). Stewed apples sprinkled with cinnamon. Grape, and darker raisin notes. A touch of oak, and them some toffee nougats. And then some booze vapors.
The sugar is immediately perceived with something denser than brown sugar, but sparser than caramel. Cooked apple fruitiness again, and minus any real tartness at this point. Light impressions of spiciness arrive, mostly in the clove and cinnamon ginger realm. There is not a real definitive malt foot print here, even though it is on the sweet side at first. The second half sees the oak emerge through the phantoms of spice, and thoroughly drys it, abetting the stripping, sometimes sourish, alcohol fumes. A dab of herbal hops can be identified the eddies of ethanol, but is otherwise unimportant.
The mouthfeel is thinner than expected, mostly due the notable ABV and the extensive use of sugar.
Some rest should do this good....hopefully.
This is something of a wildcard if not downright weird. It's almost unrecognizable as an altbier or sticke alt or any close variant of the style. It's absolutely well-crafted and clean as a whistle and definitely in the Winter Warmer vein (and, I think, that's was half the intent, and scores considerably higher when judged as such, as I enjoy this a good deal more than my overall score would indicate).
Nevertheless, it's pretty cool to grab a sixer or more of this a $7 a pop, even at the local gas station. I never thought I'd see the day that the PDQ down the road had a 9% Altbier on its shelves.

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a three finger head that slides around the sides of the pint glass and leaves a few clumps here and there

Smell: Bready and woody, with a cidery sweetness underneath

Taste: Starts out with an herbal, rum-soaked stone fruit character that adds both sweetness and fusel alcohol flavors by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors add the bready and woody dimensions that I detected in the aroma; the finish has a bit of fusel alcohol in it

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation and some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: A very interesting twist with rather bold flavors but lacks the underlying fruity complexity I enjoy in an Alt; it took me a while to get my arms around it but in the end, I really didn't enjoy it that much

Thanks, ThomasHardy, for the opportunity

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a clear and bright orange-copper color with a one inch off-white head that rises to the top rim of the glass. I gave it about 10 minutes and there is now a nice cap on top. Minimal lacing.

Aroma is pretty mild overall with some slight caramel notes and a fruitiness that seems odd for the style. It's kind of like apples and oranges.

Taste has some caramel malts up front with the fruitiness coming in midway though. Finish is mildly spicy with some hops. Just doesn't seem very much like an Alt to me.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, but very smooth and creamy.

This was good, just doesn't really compare to stuff like Uerige. Not the best I've had from New Glarus, but it's quite good.

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

Couldn't wait. Finally! An alt from New Glarus. Picked up a case of this while in Milwaukee a month ago. I wanted to be able to say this is great. Like so many of their other beers are. But I can't. After working through a few six packs of this, I can merely say this is good...at best.

Slightly hazed caramel colored body. Thin and creamy beige head. Lacing is quite minimal. Aroma comes at you with and caramel and toffee, wedges of apple, fruity phenolics and lacings of EtOH. The flavor brings more of the same. Jonathan apples spruced up with some alcohol. Almost like a spiked cider feel. The caramel and nougat and toffee are here. They're just not that bold. The aftertaste brings some lingering hot ehtanol/solvent. I'd prefer a drier alt to this, which seems sweeter than it shoiuld be. This is decent, but it doesn't stand up to the Ueriges of the world. I'm gonna lay 6 if these down to see if time tames the alcohol a little.

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

A very nice altbier. I say "nice" because it's not outstanding, but it is still a very good beer worth revisiting. Pours well; clear and with a nice head. Smells good, with sweetness tickling the nose.

Taste has a hint of fruitiness. Not quite an identifiable fruit, but sweet and pleasant all the same. Decent mouthfeel, as this swirls around my mouth the fruit is more prominent.

A nice and drinkable beer, a good representation of the style. I'd drink more. I dug it, really a nice beer, can't wait to try the other New Glarus treats in my fridge. Thanks natasharai!

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

Medium copper color. Two finger head that disapears quickly. The smell is prickly, ripe green apple notes in the aroma.

The body is medium, malty with a tangy prickly finish. Honesly, the flavor reminds me of a Michelob, but a damn good Mechelob.

Drinkability is solid... I'd pair this with Roasted chicken, Gumbo, chili or anything spicy.

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz bottle poured into glass - i forget who sent me this, but thanks!

Pours a brilliant auburn color with some golden orange hues. A thick off-white head bubbles up and dissolves fairly quickly, retaining with some film. Some patches of lacing as well.

Somewhat richer, doughy malts with breaded notes. Burnt brown sugar with some hints of candied dark fruit. Some oaky notes as well, maybe a hint of oxidation?

A bit sweet up front with raisin and cherry. Thick malted backbone with caramel and bread crust. Some earthy, woody tones with sweetness and burnt sugar. Noticeable booze heat in the finish with some residual sugar.

Fuller medium body, high carbonation, somewhat dry and chewy. This was pretty solid, although I think it might be showing signs of turning a bit.

Alt from New Glarus Brewing Company