Unplugged Iced Barleywine - New Glarus Brewing Company

Unplugged Iced BarleywineUnplugged Iced Barleywine

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

English Barleywine |  13.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unplugged Iced Barleywine Alström Bros
Photekut

imperialking

12-01-2011 20:03:13 | More by imperialking
ALESwhatCURESya

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Where to begin? When I saw the unplugged lineup for 2009 my jaw dropped to see that an Iced Barleywine would start off the year. Now, Dan and Deb rarely cease to surprise, but this one seems like it would come straight out of the DFH lab. A beautiful, rich, cognac body with whispy white head. Amazing clarity as well. The aroma is in-your-face malt sweetness and big boozy overtones. Large bouquet of bourbon soaked raisin carmelized sugars. Much like the aroma, the taste is amazing. Rich, port-like flavors come through with a wet-tobacco and whiskey profiles. The body is rich and textured. The alcohol warms the body but does not burn in any way. This is the ultimate sipper that opens up remarkably as it warms to room temp. I feel fortunate to be able to get this and have stashed away a 4-pack in the cellar. What an amazing beer that could be easily done badly. Well done...Well done!

02-22-2009 03:09:43 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
INTENSEdan

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Room temp out of a wine glass.

Straight to the point - amazing. Beautiful ruby/copper appearance, wonderful aroma filled with cherries, vanilla, caramel, toasty biscuits. Basically huge malty richness with layers of dark fruits on top.

I don't tend to be able to detect alcohol in beers, but this one has a slight burn. Considering the ABV it's quite the feat. It does not detract from the drinkability, either.

Incredible beer for the price. Don't pass this one up.

02-08-2009 18:40:17 | More by INTENSEdan
ballewblake

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Wow, didn't expect this. About a half finger head on a dump pour. Bone white head, dark purple body. Smell is figs, grapes, sweet fruits and yeast. Some ethanol burned my eyes too, on the smell. :) I put this in the fridge for about an hour and you know what, I think that was just about perfect. Great warm flavors pouring through. This is a really soothing brew. Great balance for the alcohol content, even warm the alcohol isn't slapping me around, really smooth. Awesome sweet flavors coming out of the malts, I get the balancing hops on the back to even it out. This is a class act barleywine.

Thanks to Taturbo for the bottles!

02-21-2009 04:29:49 | More by ballewblake
brokenleadedcask

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Thanks to Tuo for hooking me up with this. Reviewed from notes. Sampled on 05/11/2009

The deep red goodness poured flat in the snifter, but some swirling creates a little action. Smells delicious, raisins (port), molasses and honey. No indication of the %13 ABV in the nose. It is also hidden in the taste. There are waaay hotter barleywines with less alcohol in them, could be the "iced" process. There are distinctive caramel and nutty flavors. The Barry White of barleywines, velvety smooth. A true joy to drink. Between the hidden ABV and silky smooth flavor, I could drink quite a bit of this, then hit the floor.

06-03-2009 16:35:09 | More by brokenleadedcask

12-15-2011 10:14:34 | More by klipper
krazycatlady

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%

I love barleywines and had high hopes for this beer. I wasn't disappointed. Nice balance of hops and fruit. You can taste the high-alcohol nature of the style but it isn't overwhelming. Nice thick feel in the mouth, wonderful aftertaste. I need more of this beer! I wish that I still lived in Wisconsin and will have to bother the relatives to go get more for me!

04-29-2009 02:42:55 | More by krazycatlady
Mdog

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Red-brown, lots of little particles, great head for such a strong beer.

Smell: Sweet, cherry, candy-like.

Taste: Very complex stuff and very tasty. Sweetness, fruits, lasting brown sugar, a kind of red wine flavor all come to the party. A little alcohol burn lets you know to savor it slowly.

Drinkability: Most barleywines I'll have a bomber or a couple 12oz's, but at this strength, it is one and done. Awesome bargain though.

I have been looking forward to trying this since it was announced. Very tasty stuff and very strong. Definitely leans to the English barleywine side, but not overpoweringly sweet. Highly recommended.

02-28-2009 19:58:08 | More by Mdog
BigSteinsEmpire

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

I've been sampling a ton of barley wines as of late and this still is as good as it gets....top notch fellow BA's. Poured this bad boy into a snifter and instantly smelled delicious malts and carmels....and the taste is second to none. Very complex and yet so easy to drink. The color is a nice light copper.

05-08-2011 02:20:16 | More by BigSteinsEmpire
goethean

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Looks like tawny port (mmm...tawny port). Has a wonderful big, mouth-filling malt profile, featuring a strong munich malt flavor and which is reminiscient of well-aged Rogue Old Crustacean, which I haven't had since they went to the ceramic bottles. This is offset by detectable flavoring hops as well as substantial bittering hops. Well balanced (keep in mind that I am a devoted malt-head. I don't think that I'll cellar these however, as they are not bottle-conditioned. 13.5%? I wouldn't have guessed that. The hops disguise the alcohol. This beer does not taste boozy, which represents a tremendous accomplishment.

09-15-2009 02:01:45 | More by goethean
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Big thanks to beerbeagle for sending this one down to me. I love me a Barleywine and an Iced one, oh hell yeah! Served damn near room temp and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 03/07/2009.

The pour was a nice dark amber with alot of ruby colored highlights to it. Some light carbonation at first, but that settled down quickly and only left behind a small amount of lacing after that. Still though, nice cloudiness and a really solid look for the style. Earthy, rich and fresh hops highlighted the aroma with a touch of a grassy note to it and a light fig like smell. As I reached in for the first sip, the hops tore apart my tongue, letting light earthy fruit notes pour in and a really lay a smack down with a rich, syrup like feel to it. Super mellow and smooth with no sign of alcohol at all, I was really, really impressed with just how damn drinkable this thing was. Overall so damn solild, very hot and new, but in the context, freakin wow this was good.

03-08-2009 21:15:18 | More by mikesgroove
Pauly2X

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

A- Deep, deep ruby with a half finger head.

S- Rich robust caramel malts with light piney hop notes and hints of toffee.

T- Super rich and intense caramel malt, toffee and very light fruity flavors add to the depth and complexity. Hops and a light alcohol note come through to keep the sweetness from being cloying and to balance it all out. As it warms the alcohol becomes slightly peppery in the smooth finish.

M- Very smooth, full and rich.

D- I bought some for now and will buy more to cellar.

Just might be the best unplugged yet. It was nice to see Dan flexing his "extreme muscles".

03-26-2009 01:09:38 | More by Pauly2X
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

This is such a fluke. I had no beer in my fridge, and no money in my bank account. I agreed with my friend today when he said that he wanted to open a "nice big barley wine". I thought to myself that Mirror Mirror or 2009 Bigfoot would be good. Then I came home to a package from a great trader, Sean. I opened it up and the thing was filled with Barley Wines. So, I opened up this bottle and was very happy.

The appearance is of an expensive whiskey. It pours with some carbonation and has a crisp white head that leaves without a trace. This is an English Barley Wine, so that is expected. The color is a dark hammered copper with golden edges. The heart is a light brown-amber color, this looks good.

The smell is of an aged Barley Wine. Malt sweetness with some of the ABV is present. Sugary prunes and raisins as well. I also get some old fruity hop sweetness.

The taste is elegant and refined. This thing is maturing very well I assume, because from the other reviews I have read, this beer tastes nothing like 'ethanol infused'. There are very mellowed malt sweetness that present a prune and brown sugar characteristic that is amazing. The alcohol is still present, but it pushes the dark fruit tastes out without interfering. Raisins and liquor are lingering flavors.

The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated for me. I understand that this style can be undercarbonated, but this is actually carbonated and it makes the tastes stand out. It is oily and a bit hot still, but all very enjoyable. Two years on this would be ideal.

The drinkability is good, I am drinking it slow and savoring every sip because I do not know if I will ever try it again. Delicious.

J

12-19-2009 03:09:13 | More by Jmoore50
younger35

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Picked up a few of these gems from New Glarus on a recent visit. Very excited to give this brew a try as I really love these Unplugged brews. Drank from my Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Pours a reddish purple with a small dirty white head that recedes very quickly leaving no cap and very very thin collar. Obviously no lacing is left since there is no head!
Smell- Rich dried fruits such as figs, raisins, prunes and the like. Rich and malty with a big dose of caramel and toffee malts. The bottle is correct in its sherry reference along with a slight bit of something like bourbon. The alcohol is pretty strong but definitely not the focal point of the nose, just a side note. The only downside is that it isn't as pungent as the taste, it's fairly light considering.
Taste- Holy fucking smooth and fruity. It's full of dark fruit (again - figs, plums, black cherries, prunes) and ripe fruity berries (blueberry and blackberry) along with a big rich malt. I get the port/sherry thing but to me it takes on a more of a bourbon barrel type theme. I think it's just all the caramel and toffee and alcohol. Slightly sweet toward the finish with a light bit of lingering brown sugar and/or molasses.
Mouthfeel- Thick and viscous with a super SUPER smooth feel and a light bit of warming. Amazing body and feel considering the 13 ½% ABV.
Drinkability- I tell ya. I didn't think a beer with a ABV like this could have such a great feel and be damned drinkable. Granted it is a sipping brew but a fine one at that. The town of New Glarus is fairly surprising. It's a Swiss themed town in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin. To have a world class brewer there making these amazing brews blows my mind. Seek this and all NG brews out.

02-19-2009 03:21:14 | More by younger35