Unplugged Imperial Saison - New Glarus Brewing Company

Unplugged Imperial SaisonUnplugged Imperial Saison

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Atron67 on 05-10-2009)
3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Review from backlog 2010

Looking forward to trying this one.

A - The brew pours a fizzy bright orange-golden hue, hazy, and is capped with a large pillowy white froth.

S - The smell is banana, bubblegum, clove, sour apple, metallic, peppery, and sweaty. The alcohol is too hot in the nose, and has a sort of Malt Liquor nuance that is less-than pleasant. It reminds me too much of Blue Moon Grand Cru, as much as I hate to say it.

T - The flavor is somewhat ripe and tart in comparison to the nose. Overripe banana, green apple, tart green grapes and a hint of that popsicle-y New Glarus character round out the fruity side, and the spicy side is grassy and with clove and herbal-lemongrass notes. There is a vague vegetal aspect that I am picking up on, but it is a mild objection. As it airs out some peach or apricot is noted, as is alcohol.

M - The feel is softly, yet steadily, effervescent; enhancing.

D - While I admit the drinkability of this brew is better-than-average, I am not blown away by the way either the flavor or the taste comes across. I prefer much of the regular lineup to this.

ktrillionaire, May 31, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle received from normyk in my Birthday BIF box. Thanks, Rob!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a hazy orange hue with a huge, half-glass filling rocky head.

Aromas of lemon tart, spicy yeast. Club soda aroma.

Flavors of lemon curd, spicy pepper, light lactic sourness. Finish is short and sour.

Mouthfeel is a light coating of sourness. Good level of carbonation.

Overall a very nice beer. Big, bold saison.

JamnesCameron, Apr 24, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Extreme carbonation. Well over half of my glass filled with foam. An extremely rich, rocky ohh-white head. Absolutely effervescent like champagne. Pale orange/dark golden color. Extremely clear. Some of the finest, tiniest bubbles I've seen. Good looking beer.

First scent upon first pour is nicely spicy with a hint of lemon citrus. This then gave way to a strong pilsner malt character -- A bit like mostly cooked but slightly raw bread dough.

Wow! Strong lemon/peach/tart taste followed by some spice elements and a hint of sweetness and bready malt. It finishes then with some more tartness verging on sourness. The sour-tartness at the end was the only part of the flavor profile I didn't completely enjoy. It came across as slightly astringent. Complex combination of flavors. No hint of nearly 9% abv.

Mouthfeel is thicker than your average saison, but not thick over all -- just thick enough to hold up to the strong flavors. Lots of carbonation.

Really nice beer. It has changed character some over the years, but still really refreshing & enjoyable.

mklinger, Feb 16, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Reviewed on 12/20/2009. Bottle thanks to FlssmrBrewAlum. Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweet fruits, lots of spices (clove, pepper, coriander, hop spices) and Belgian yeast. Flavor is spicy initially with a malty, grainy finish with some sweet citrus and sweet fruits. Very tasty and drinkable. Another winner from NG.

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with a huge off white head. Head has good retention and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

S- Smells like a bit of funkiness going on here along with quite a bit of citrus.

T- Taste is quite a bit of a sour/funk to it. Green appple and lemon dominate this brew.

M- Lighter side of medium in body and medium in carbonation.

D- Not terrible to drink by any means, but I'm not sure how often I'd seek this one out.

nrbw23, Dec 14, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Acquired from pochman, courtesy of BA Secret Santa 2009 so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy deep orange/gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of honey, citrus, spices, caramelized malts, some Belgian yeast and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out very fruity and sweet with strong citrus flavors of orange and lemon up front. There's a little bit of spice in the background as well. Then some bready flavors of Belgian yeast and a hearty malt character come in. The hops presence is very mild but provides some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty but overly fruity, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, for those that are used to Blue Moon and such, this is good next level but overall the fruitiness makes it just a decent beer.

TheManiacalOne, Nov 09, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a New Belgium Globe glass.

It pours a kind of murky amber orange with a huge frothy white head. Half the glass filled with a nice foam layer and it doesn't really die down. The nucleation on the bottom of this glass is constantly adding more head to this beer. Peering into the bottom of the glass a tornado of tiny bubbles can be seen. This is one lively beer.

The nose first hits with a nice saison yeast spice punch. Behind that a fairly bright citrus orange and grain is present as well. At the end a pretty distinct ethanol aroma is there as well, it's not harsh like a fusel but present nonetheless.

The taste starts off with some tartness and then transitions into a citrus orange flavors. The middle of the taste it gets a little oily before finishing with some yeast bite and again with the ethanol.

Mouthfeel is medium lights with an insane carbonation level. I think the carb level added to the initial tartness I was picking up. In this style I can tolerate a high carb level so I didn't find it so distracting. Drinkability was ok. I usually find this style very very drinkable on the whole but for some reason I didn't get that with this beer. The ABV level could have been a big factor in that though.

weatherdog, Nov 08, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice amber color. A bit dark for a normal saison, but what the hell--this one is from Wisconsin. Nose brings forward some really nice characteristics with a bit of light malt plus some earth, caramel, light fruits, and some mild hay. The flavor is a bit sweet and not nearly as dry as many saisons. Good fruit notes and nice malt. Medium body with good carbonation. This was quite the tasty brew and I'm disappointed that I finally ran out of these; hopefully it gets brewed again.

Thorpe429, Oct 29, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top, foiled, and very classy looking. No date to be found, but nice little ditty about the beer. Poured into my Hennepin glass. I busted this one out to toast the passing of one of our pets.

Appearance: This beer pours a burnt orange/copper hue, with a massive, fluffy ivory cap which shows good retention. Some steady streaming carbonation. My first thought is that this is a lot brighter (i.e. not cloudy) than I expected it to be. Looking in the bottom of the bottle, however, I see a thick layer of highly-compacted sediment. I guess I've been holding onto this one a bit longer than I thought. Oh well, on to the good stuff!

Smell: At first I'm not getting a lot besides crisp, vibrant pilsener malt and some noble hoppiness. Don't get me wrong, really pleasant, just not what I expected. However, as this warms a bit, a decent bit of fruitiness begins to emerge. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking peach and an almost white-wine fruitiness. Maybe just a ghost of caramel sweetness? Lacking the spicy, funky character of many saisons.

Taste: Now this is different! Sour! As in way sour. The label suggests that this was soured, but I was thinking maybe a light dose of Brett to compliment the spices/hops. But I'm not getting much of a "wild" flavor; instead, there's a puckering (but kind of pleasant) sourness up front, with a dose of pils maltiness and grassy hop bitterness in the background. To me (and I thought this in smelling this beer as well) it's almost like an amped-up German Pils gone wild. The taste totally supports that. A bit of crackery malt, noble hops, and a big hit of sour, slightly wild flavor. Of the ginger and grains of paradise that this was brewed with, there is no sign. I guess that probably shouldn't be a surprise, as I'm pretty sure this is fairly old. I've held onto it for just over a year now; w/out a date there's no way to tell how long it was in the brewery's cellars (I purchased this one at the hilltop brewery on our honeymoon). The label suggested that this one could be laid down long-term, so I'm not upset with myself for aging this, but I am finding this to be a much different beer w/some age than what I've seen reviewed on here. Sidenote, this hides the alcohol pretty well behind the tart/sour peach and citrus notes and the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light, crisp, effervescent, as a good saison should be...I'm not sure I've ever given the highest score for mouthfeel, but this is a big beer at almost 9%, but it manages to remain light and refreshing on the palate, the way a saison should, therefore, I think the highest score is warranted.

Drinkability: Medium; I don't find any sours to be knock-down drinkable...

Conclusion: I had no idea what to expect from this beer, but I was certainly not expecting what I got. This is like a wild/soured German Pils, maybe with a touch of crystal malt. That sounds odd as hell, and...well...it is. But it's pretty tasty nonetheless.

BedetheVenerable, Oct 25, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to adamharbaugh for this, shared with tenderbranson69, tasted in a la fin du monde tulip.

The color of glowing peach in the glass w/ slight haze and thick 2 finger cream of pale beige w/ ultrafine beading. A slinky ring of lace clings on the glass and holds well. The smell is wonderful- stone fruit and slight tropical scents of papaya and pineapple w/ a mild spice ester and slight herbal note. The nose has some ginger which is complimented by some alcohol presence which is not a bad thing. The feel is fruity with a tanginess and very high carbonation w/ mild spice and a very dry finish w/ light tannic quality. A mild tinge of sourness is there which blends well with the subtle alcohol.

The taste is lovely with a papaya and peach blend up front and some ginger w/ lemony taste and mild spiced notes. The peppery tinge from the grain of paradise has a mild floral and the yeast gives a light pineapple taste with a hint of bubblegum. The subtle lemony notes add to the mild woodsy accents and golden pear tang in the finish. A seriously good saison, WOW, lots of fruit from the yeast! A beer I could drink anytime, a wonderfully good experience from New Glarus - exceeded my expectations.

Slatetank, Oct 21, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Received a bottle via trade from crosamich...thanks Adam! Opening it the same day I got it! Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Koningshoeven small snifter glass. Pours a very hazy and pale broze like color with a hint of amber. Infact, it resembles a grapefruit juice like color. Massive frothy off-white head, that becomes very creamy and has very nice retention. Leaving a nice thick, creamy, sticky lacing. Once again, the appearance is extremely cloudy.

Aroma is wheat-beer like at first. A bit of lemon zest and crispness. But overall there's a musty blandness that resides. Similar to a typical Fantome saison aroma actually.

Hmm, very interesting. I like it...that's for sure, but it's definitely odd. Theres a very sharp tart crispness, lemon and citrus background...very high carbonation...a slight booze is noticable. But the "Saison" funk is there, just hidden by all the other characteristics. It's unique because the tart/sourness is so strong...although, being a "sour" lover, this is right up my alley. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, very tasty...interesting...unique! I would definitely drink this again.

ShadesOfGray, Oct 07, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Body is a uniformly translucent golden hue. Pours with a 2-3 finger foamy white headwhich eventually fades to 1/2 finger and leaves traces of lacing behind in the glass.

S- Nose is mild-with lemon, floral hops, and bready yeast. A hint of funk is there as well.

T- Initial flavor is loaded with lemon. A hint of floral hops accent the flavor with a bready yeast backbone and a hint of yeast funk. Floral hops are the higlight of the finish as well as a blast of citrus flavor. A hint of floral hop bitterness lingers with some citrus.

M- High carbonation and a light to medium weight, slightly dry body.

D- This is a good saison overall-it has a lot more lemon presence than most. Job well done by New Glarus.

PittBeerGirl, Oct 04, 2010

A: opaque golden amber, thick head that leaves spotty lacing.

S: hints of citrus and light fruits abound, peaches, apricots, spices, and coriander.

T: while the aroma was strong, the taste was very subdued, light in fruit flavors that quickly dissipated, floral finish.

MF/D: highly carbonated that has a crisp finish.

newk340, Sep 14, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a rather large head that leaves quite a few shards on the way down

Smell: Sure wasn't expecting a sour stone fruit and ginger aroma, but that's what I got (should have read the label first)

Taste: Fruity, at the outset, with a growing tart character that becomes truly sour by mid-palate; stone fruit (apricot and peach), with a spicy herbal character character; after the swallow, the sour fruit character develops nicely, leaving the herbal elements to grow in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: Expecting a Saison, I was worried that something was wrong for the first few sips, but after reading the label and understanding more of the brewer's intent, I grew to really enjoy this beer; more of an American Wild Ale, in my book but you can call it what you like

brentk56, Sep 03, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep gold to copper and clear. Very strong off white head that fills half the glass and takes several minutes to settle down. I had to wait for the head to settle down before pouring the last 1/4 of the beer.

S - Sweet candy aroma followed by a slight grassiness and alcohol. Sweetness and alcohol overwhelm other aromas.

T - Sweet candy flavor up front with a light hop bitterness. Has a moderate grassy hop flavor and a toasty/grainy malt flavor. A sherry flavor is starting to develop from age, which is a nice addition to the beer. There's a little spiciness from the yeast, but not as many yeast derived esters as I expected from a saison.

M - Light bodied with less carbonation apparent in feel than expected from the massive foam. Even though it has a sweet flavor, it has a dry, refreshing finish.

D - A very good saison, but not as good as Saison Dupont. Still, it's a very enjoyable beer that I was happy to have a chance to try.

bevenson, Aug 27, 2010

12oz into a pint, out of my cellar

A - Pours a golden to golden brown color. Very thick looking, very opaque and hazy. Apparently bottle conditioned. Strong head formation, dirty white, extremely well retained.

S - Spicy peppery yeast notes dominate, with just a little bit of sour/fruity notes. Some alcohol strength is detected.

T - Starts off lightly sweet, a bit grainy. Turns quickly to a sour note, very strong. Fruity, I can see the apricot and peach reference. Some yeast notes are present, lightly peppery. Phenolic burn comes through on the tail end, but not enough to come through the sour. Finishes clean, no strong aftertaste.

M - Slightly thin beer body, but that is balanced by a super strong carbonation profile. The sour acidic notes are tongue grabbing.

D - Moderate to low drinkability. The sour notes are just a bit too potent for any sessioning. Not a problem since this beer isn't made anymore.

Not my favorite unplugged nor did I think "imperial saison" when drinking it, but worth trying for sure.

katan, Aug 22, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange color with a huge white pillowy head. Belgian and fruit notes in the head. Maybe some spice as well. Sweet, tart flavor that transitions smoothly to fruit with alcohol flavor. Fruit notes include something sweet (maybe the apricot and peach) coupled with apple. Alcohol is very prevalent in this one to me. Fairly light mouthfeel. An interesting beer.

kbutler1, Aug 19, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks goes out to Zimmerbloke for including this in a truly epic trade...thanks Matt. My wife and I shared this 12 ounce bottle in a couple snifters.

The dark muddled apricot body has about a finger of ecru head sitting on top. The head itself is small tight frothy bubbles that don't dissipate beyond a centimeter cap. No lacing is apparent but this is 8.7% ABV so it wasn't entirely expected.

Funky yeast, green strawberries, ripe peaches, and a light amount of sweet malts dominate the aroma. It reminds me of Fantome quite a bit and is everything I want in a saison. Well done Daniel Carey.

Taste is a lightly lemon soured nectarine with a touch of watermelon rind and funky malt. I dare say this is BETTER than Fantome.

Mouthfeel is slightly sticky and drinkability is through the roof. its way to easy to drink and I want more!

The. Single. Best. Saison. To. Date! I loved this beer and must start tracking down some more. Get it if you can. This is my favorite of my favorite style, and highly recommended to all!

hopsbreath, Aug 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

First of all, a bit thanks to crossovert for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours an incredibly hazy, dark orange color into my JP Pint Glass. About a finger of quickly dissipating white head is achieved that leaves little lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - A very inviting array of aromas. Apricots, grapes, peppery spices, green apples, slight barnyard funk, and some grassy notes.

Taste - An immediate puckering of the mouth. This is much more tart up front than the nose let on. The green apples are immediately apparent followed by some lighter peach flavors. The tartness continues through the entire sip, though it backs off a hint when the barnyard funk arrives. As the flavors come to an end, some white pepper and clove become apparent. Honestly, I am really enjoying this beer. A very funky, sour, yet refreshing saison. I would choose this any day over most other saisons out there. It is reminiscent to some of JP's saison offerings, which is probably why I am digging this beer so much.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, thicker than expected, somewhat creamy, prickly carbonation, finishes a bit dry.

Drinkability - An amazing saison. I could drink this all night, and I can't taste the alcohol one bit, though there is some warmth as it goes down. I highly recommend this and I will be trading for this in the future.

SpdKilz, Jul 29, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

re-reviewed 12/31/10

decided to toast in the new year with one of these since it reminds me so much of champagne. was hoping it had improved since July, and indeed it has. the generic beeryness has receded, the sour has ramped up, and the flavor has basically improved all around. kinda makes me wish i'd bought more than the one 4-packerino.
been hatin on the new glarus a lot lately (as they deserve it!), but i'm more than willing to give credit wherever it's due. this still isn't one of my favorites and could use some complexity, but glad to see it's aging well.

a 4 clear tangerine, champagne bubbled, ginormous off white head becomes rocky and leaves scattered lace.

s 3.5-4 a bit "different" for a saison. sweet citrus fruit candy and grapes at first, then a pronounced generic barley beeryness. now a touch of sour vinegar.

t 3-3.5 sour, fermented white grapes (again with the champagne traits), some pear and apricot. the finish fails to dry out, leaving me with the impression of a lower shelf champagne (i'd still probably drink this instead, but the degree of similarity is a bit eerie). and complaining about lack of dryness is something i rarely if ever have done.

m 3.5 near medium bodied with that unwelcome residual sugar. the carbonation is appropriate.

d 3 i started this tasting in a good mood, fully prepared to inflate the hell out of the score. the good mood persists, thankfully, but the score is going to have to tell it like it is. new glarus imperial saison is ok, but far from great. hopefully this will age well and dry out a bit without exploding...

brewmudgeon, Jul 28, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

I must first respectfully say that I am not a fan of New Glarus beer. I recently went through Wisconsin and tasted every New Glarus I could find and disliked all of them. I admittedly did not have any of the Unplugged series. I've now tasted other Unplugged and thought that they were clearly superior to the regular brews.

This one pours a dark copper tinted amber with a white head.

Nose is a big assertive orange that goes to orange spice with undertones of candi sugar, peaches and green bananas.

Mouthfeel is rich, bold, bright cream and very appealing.

Flavors are all big assertive full and rich orange spice with bright citrus tones. Flavors are delicious and you want more and more. There is an "almost sour" "almost tart" character.

Finish is all citrus spice with sweet wild yeast undertones.

Very drinkable; a really remarkable brew with an amazing flavor profile. Best New Glarus I've tasted. I could put this in my top 10 beers if a second and third bottle mirror this one.

GRG1313, Jul 14, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Hazy golden orange color with a two finger head that had nice retention and a decent amount of lacing.

S - Fruity, with a little bit of tartness. I get pears and apples mostly. Decent yeast notes help your remember this is a saison.

T - Earthy and grassy with some nice fruit notes. Little bit sour with a touch of bitterness at the end. Dry, almost like a sparkling wine in some ways.

M - Light, dry, nice carbonation.

D - Pretty good, didn't realize that the ABV was as high as it was. Not bad, and I'm not a fan of this style usually.

AgentZero, Jul 02, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Hazy yellowish-gold with a huge foamy eggshell white head. Lots of carboantaion in this bad boy. Chunks of foam left behind on the glass

S - Pepery spice and hints of citrus fruit. Belgian yeast aromas come through as the beer warms with just a hint of banana. WHite pepper initially with baking spices coming through on the back end. Clove primarily.

T - Belgian fruitiness initially with a quick kick of white pepper and corriander/clove. A light sourness kicks in mid-drink. Finishes with a well melded taste of all the above mentioned flavors.

M/D - Medium bodied with a crisp mouth feel. Alcohol is well masked and makes for an easy drinking saison. Certainly not my favorite take of the style but another interesting beer from the Unplugged series for sure.

ckeegan04, Jun 26, 2010

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured a hazy amber orange color with a fluffy white one inch head filling the remainder of the glass. The head faded a bit but had had decent retention overall and also left some moderate lacing.

The aroma has some apple, pear and cherry fruitiness to it. It has a moderate tartness to go along with the fruit aromas, and a bit of citrus spice. I get a bit of sourness to it as well but not a lot.

The taste starts off with some of the tangy fruit like tartness found in the nose. The apple and pear flavors come out more at first and the finish has a bit more of the cherry flavor coming through. The sourness is there mostly in the finish and gives it a nice added complexity. The sourness came through more as it warmed up.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being on the higher side. Drinkability is good, especially considering the abv%. It had a pretty wide range of flavors to it making it a pretty complex and interesting beer. Id did feel a bit heavy and big though which made it a bit less drinkable. I guess that was the point of imperializing it though. Still a very good beer overall .

billab914, Jun 20, 2010

After a year aging, this one is still working and carries a bit of a boozy tone. There are nice dough and fruit tones, with some standard style sweetness there as well. Smooth feel. The booze on it and the part that kind of rests in your mouth to stay is a bit of a detractor, but this is still a nice enough one.

RblWthACoz, Jun 20, 2010