R&D Golden Ale - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Brewed 3-23-09, Bottled 6-18-09

(Beer added by: deliriumfest on 07-15-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
bashiba

Iowa

1.68/5  rDev -58.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a bright golden/orange with a thick white head.

The smell is very bubblegummy with a lot of plastic.

The common band aid flavor is very apparent here. Has a very off plastic flavor as well, not good. I really get nothing but artificial.

Th emouthfeel has a long oily quality to it.

Just plain bad, a drain pour for sure.

05-20-2012 00:29:21 | More by bashiba
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

2.13/5  rDev -47.5%

This beer poured a bright golden color, with a good size head that lasted throughout the beer. The smell was horrible, resembled urine, and a uranal cake. There simply wasnt a taste, a bit spicey, but very weak. The taste was very light, and was easy to drink, but there was almost no flavor, and it wasnt very enjoyable because of this. Overall I was not impressed, I wouldnt recommend this one.

03-13-2011 01:58:10 | More by vette2006c5r
samie85

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

Bottled 6/18/09. A slight gusher when opened, not surprising with the Brett.

A-Pours a hazy orange color with three and a half fingers of dense, stiff, white head.

S-Smells of intense lime and some woody, pine-sol like notes and some light soil.

T-Not what I was expecting at all from the nose; a little boring with just some light malt, but transitions into what you would think pine-sol would taste like.

M-Very light-bodied and watery with very low carbonation.

D-Not very impressed with this one; I was expecting a lot more complexity and a deeper mouthfeel.

02-28-2011 03:23:17 | More by samie85

Indiana

12-01-2013 21:42:37 | More by NooseJustice
SpeedwayJim

2.6/5  rDev -36%

Thanks to Adam for this one. Brewed 3-23-09, bottled 6-18-09. Poured from a 16oz. bottle into a Blue Point snifter.

A: Pours a beautiful 3 finger fluffy white head with great retention. Beer itself is a semi-cloudy peach color. Lacing is patchy and full with great cling. Perfection... I can't imagine a beer looking more "commercial-like" than this one.

S: Soap, perfume, garden flowers, and a hint of fresh peach. Very floral in every way, I feel like I'm about to sip an expensive bottle of perfume or body wash.

T: Unfortunately, tastes exactly like it smells. Soapy and floral bitter. Rose petals and chewy fresh grass. Bathwater comes to mind and I feel like I could just be sipping water from a mineral bath during ancient Roman times when the water was perfumed, with flowers floating in it. Finish is more of the same and leaves an oily, soapy bitterness on the tongue.

M: Light to medium bodied, moderately carbonated and lively. A bit oily and powdery but I think that might be residue from the taste influencing this aspect of the beer. Finish is slightly messy and leaves a lingering aftertaste.

D: This is definitely a one and done for me and the first thing from New Glarus that I haven't liked. Waaaay too weird and off center, I'm glad they called this R&D... as I hope it never gets put into mass production.

05-04-2010 00:13:51 | More by SpeedwayJim
flyfisherfinn

2.65/5  rDev -34.7%

I was expecting a great brew with this, as I've heard many great things about the R & D line. This beer had a decent appearance, and was a very smooth beer. The taste was average, but I just couldn't get past the odor on this one. It's possible the beer I had was bad, and I would try this again, but overall I was not impressed with this.

09-08-2011 01:08:09 | More by flyfisherfinn
box299

2.65/5  rDev -34.7%

I clearly don't have taste... So please don't listen to me... I am the only one who thought this beer tasted like a freshly cut lawn... I truly do not find this beer worthy of the New Glarus name.

I live in Chicago and make an annual pilgrimage to the town of New Glarus for an annual camping trip and major beer purchase. They have beers that I am not crazy about (spotted cow, dancing man) and they of course have beers I love (Hearty Hop and Fat Squirrel)

To me this beer misses the mark... It's Grassy in taste and smell and the after taste is one I want to follow with a shot of almost anything.

It is strong and I did drink in September beer brewed in March and bottle in June. I did ask if it should sit around for awhile and they said no it's ready to roll...

So you know I didn't get a bad bottle... bought two at the brewery and then tasted in the tasting room... Grassy... then I have tasted two bottles here at home... Batch 160 BBL

09-11-2009 03:01:11 | More by box299
beagle75

Iowa

2.68/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 0.5L bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, orange-golden color with less than one finger of diminishing white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Plasticky band-aid quality is sharp, with some associated spiciness that suggests phenolics. Goat pasture is weak, hard to pin down, likely interrupted by strong plastic notes and lesser perceived sourness.

T: Begins dry, with acidic pale malt and phenolics that become intense and energetic in the middle. The finish is briny and surprisingly bitter for the style.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This bottled version of New Glarus's brettanomyces ale is of questionable relationship to the draft version, which exhibited a purified clarion call of brett qualities. Rather, this beer is slightly sour and chemical-infused, with just enough of goaty brett qualities to make the drinker wish for more. While not as undrinkable as some might suggest, it is definitely a bit of a mess--and not in a good way.

05-21-2012 22:21:46 | More by beagle75
nrbw23

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

A- Pours a bright clear gold color with a nice white head. Head is gone in a flash, turning into a layer of bubbles and hardly any lacing.

S- Smells is fairly light. An earthy, herbal smell and a bit of floral hops. A bit of a funk here too. A bit of spices and yeast.

T- Pretty big floral taste. Nothing special here as well. A tiny bit of a funkiness to it.

M- Fairly light in body and on the higher side in carbonation.

D- I'm not really digging this one. I'd say ok at best and probably something I wouldn't seek out again. One thing I thought was pretty cool was all the information on the label.

12-15-2010 22:43:36 | More by nrbw23
adrock7309

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%

shared a bottle over the weekend with a few fellow BAs. Let me first say - this beer did get partially frozen in transit.

for me, the pour and sight of this beer was the highlight - if there was one. Cap was light and fluffy over a bright orange body.

Was expecting a belgian golden ale / pale ale with some tartness. What we had was a wheaty funky mess.

The smell was heavy on plastic bandaids, old wet cardboard and dank basement.

Flavors I picked up were belgian spicy yeast, a bit of a crisp malt character, but ZERO fruit, sour, or anything interesting.

I think it would be possible that the freezing played a role in the flavor but i doubt it as I have had thawed / frozen beer but never with results like this.

02-06-2012 15:59:45 | More by adrock7309

Ultraman9000

01-15-2012 07:12:46 | More by Ultraman9000
homebrew311

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

A: pours a clear golden, thin white head, decent retention, some lacing

S: nose is funk-ay... big time yeasty notes up front, a bit of bubblegum, hay, grass, wood, and spice. This aroma and me aren't getting along too well...

T: taste is much different than the smell... and that is in a good way. Notes of biscuit, lemon, and yeast. A touch of black pepper is in the mix, decent balance. Still can't get over the smell though.

MF: high carbonation, light body

O: interesting brew, not my favorite, the smell is very funky...not in the way that I can appreciate.

10-23-2011 04:48:24 | More by homebrew311
Slatetank

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing this at his place, poured chilled into a cervoise.

Color is murky goldenrod which is apropos with thick white cap that adheres in a spotty lace pattern. The smell is unique and off with strong herbal essence like a cough drop with some methol and floral earthy qualities -very medicinal arom with light hint of pepper.
The feel is dry with medicinal feel with herbal tannin and slight dry toast with mild grassy tannin and woody tonic-type aspect.

This has a taste that is both dry with the herbal flavor following the smell and feel. There is a light anise accent with the grass and mint adding to the flavors with subtle dry woody and gentle chalky taste. I was surpised by how quick the flavor dissipates considering the amount of intensity it has. the overall drinkability is low for me as this tastes like something along the lines of absinthe in beer form, which is not really a flavor I am especially fond of.

01-10-2012 19:00:12 | More by Slatetank
Beejay

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks Levifunk.

A: Pale Golden Color, slightly hazy with a nice amount of head on top.

S: Sweet, tart and yeasty. Tart cherries and a hint of vinegar. Definitely smells like a bit of sour here. (which the label confirms Brett)

T: Brett is clear from the get go.. Definitely a little barnyard in there as well as some metallic taste. The front is nice with tart cherries, the finish is rusty barnyard.. We'll see if it changes.

As I get into it, I enjoy it a bit more, though I still think the brett isn't needed.

M: Crisp sharp, and carbonated like a belgian should be.

D: A sipper. Not my favorite. But a very interesting beer to try. I see what they are going for, but I think they messed up a perfectly serviceable crisp Belgian Pale, with Brett- and that's unfortunate. Take out the Brett, and sell it like crazy.

04-14-2010 02:50:36 | More by Beejay
crusian

Oregon

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from awesome girlfriend, from the brewery. Bottled 6-18-09.
Pours a nice Piss golden with a decent 2 fingers of head. Lacing all around the glass as it fades. I mean everywhere. Crazy.
Smell is initially sour. Very sour... then moves into funk with some spice. Like gym socks and soap.
Taste is everything that the nose has, but no indication of sour. Strong soapy gym sock taste with a mix of lemon. Very interesting... but not really all that enjoyable. It does get better the more I drink it, though. Very crisp clean finish as well. Good to try, wouldn't go out of my way to get one though.

02-26-2011 01:05:27 | More by crusian
PSUDREW

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

This is one of the the last beers from mr. LeviFunk. Thanks for the experiences
A: pours a nice golden color. foamy white head that sits around for a while.
S: light, vaguely spicy. Honestly, the nose has kind of a sterile finish. odd
T: Light clove, and sweetness, but there is an odd, sterile, homebrew finish.
M: nice, not heavy not light, and descent
D: aside from the odd sterile taste, pretty high

11-11-2010 05:04:28 | More by PSUDREW
Retsinis

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Had this at a recent tasting (thanks Skuter)

Per the bottle, 6-18-09 Batch 16.

Poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

A:The beer poured a cloudy golden orange color, with a modest half inch white head, good retention, mild lacing.

S: A mixture of light funk, brett, lemon zest, citrus notes.

T: Similiar mild funkiness, flavors of mild apple cider, clove, finish is simialr to nose, some lemon, and citurs.

M: Dry finish, medium body, slight crisp bitterness, and acidity.

O: Unique beer, the brett certainly adds something to a Belgian pale ale. Glad I was able to try it, would not seek out again, but might not pass up a taste again either.

04-21-2011 17:46:22 | More by Retsinis