Unplugged Old English Porter - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

English Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-10-2009)

Photekut, Nov 17, 2011

Beertracker, Dec 16, 2011

Diomede, Nov 20, 2011

EasyReader, Jan 22, 2012

mklinger, Nov 17, 2011

Kshock, Nov 19, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +28.2%

12 ounce bottle into a New Glarus pint glass

A - Pours a deep brown, almost off red body that is quite hard to see through. The head is an off white tan color that is quite frothy and about an inch before fading slowly. Little sign of carbonation apparent but the color makes it hard to tell.

S - Great, unique smell that I have never come across before. A combination of roasted malts, burnt ash or wood and maybe some coffee. Then the other half comes into play, the sweet tartness along with some undetermined fruit and sugar.

T - WOW. A wonderful blend of roasted, almost burnt tasting malts along with with some coffee or other roasted aspects. Carbonation is more present than I was expecting but it is not overwhelming in any aspect. It provides a great transition to the sweet acidic finish with maybe some apples present. I can't tell entirely about the fruit but it is very sweet and smooth.

M - Roasted, even burnt like malts first come out as the beer touches your tongue. As the beer passes, a nice blast of carbonation combined with an acidic flavor come out finished by a sweet apple flavor with a good amount of carbonation.

D - This is one of the most unique beers I have had. While I could have a few in a sitting I won't give this a perfect score. I could certainly have one per day but more than two a day might be a task. Give credit to Dan for daring to be bold and push the limits.

Wisconsin, Aug 21, 2009

tfidler, Apr 22, 2012

JackOGreen, Mar 12, 2013

LizBB, Jul 07, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

Great zappy sourness in the very beginning taste that I like a lot; very acidic. More of a lighter brown color than I expected. Kept a solid ring of head, toasted oaky sweetness really comes through in the end aftertaste to add balance. Overall it is very smooth and very acidic. I have not tasted anything like this from New Glarus before, I wish they kept brewing it!

Hopeeo, Jan 26, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +24.1%

Am I obsessed with this beer because it is so hard to find? I brought six back to LA with me quite a few months ago and now I'm down to one. I'm still convinced, tasting many other beers, that this is the finest sour beer I've ever tasted.

A: Reddish brown, not a lot of head or lacing

S: Raisins all over the place, and vinegar

T: Well balanced sour with raisins and smoked malt. Complex sweetness and malts follows the initial puckering. Every sip is this front-back thing which is so great all throughout. Can't see why this turns people off.

M: Probably my favorite mouthfeel beer. Sour, with champagne-like carbonation, but with a porter's malty viscosity. It really lingers in the mouth and has you coming back for more.

O: This beer, and the historical and chemical research behind it, is why this brewery is so fascinating. These people care, and that is why this beer is so remarkable. It is unique and good. If this was anything like the Porter the English drank in the 19th century, those were some happy people.

Ssomnoremac, Jun 29, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in a pint glass. I'm going into this beer thinking that New Glarus can do no wrong.
A: Moderate pour yields 1/2 finger of tight tan head with good retention. Crystal clear deep crimson liquid is almost brown. Pretty but light for a porter.
S: Sour twang over hearty caramelly malt. Very complex and unlike any other I've smelled.
T: Wow. Semi-sweet chocolate that is immediately reeled in by the tang of cranberry or raspberry. Has the same tartness quality as the Belgian Red with a nice sweetness to balance it.
M: Tart and drying, bright but not puckering. An expectorant. Slick and creamy.
D: Great! Sourness makes it refreshing even on a warm day. A great fall beer. I would order one more and buy another 4-pack. It's a little too sour for more than two though.

dfillius, Oct 18, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

Procured at the (insert astounding superlative here) New Glarus brewery. That place is the 9th wonder of the world.

A - Nice translucent mahogany-brown, voluminous off-white head, leaving lots of lace.

S - The sourness is tangible but seems subdued and fairly unique (or at least unusual) in its application. The brew seems lighter than an average Porter, but the sourness imparts a richness that is usually provided by robustly roasted malts; as such it is very successful.

T - This is a fantastic take on the style (Sour Porter), and a hugely successful departure from the average approach. It is full of roasty, nutty, and earthy flavors, and has a tremendous rustic charm. The sourness is appreciated as a coffee-like sharp acidity (which is not to say that it is tremendously acidic) that combines with the lighter body (for style) to produce a brew that is quite robust and hearty in flavor, but less weighty than it should be otherwise. Again, I must say this is a very successful approach at the style. It is one of the best and most impressive beers I have had from New Glarus.

M - Lighter-bodied, but very full flavored.

D - Ridiculously good. One of the most drinkable Porters I've had.

ktrillionaire, Jul 16, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

Pulled this one out of the fridge tonite on a whim. Didn't know what I wanted so I figured I would have a safe, reliable brew- a porter. I poured it into a Leviathan tulip and the first thing I noticed was it's thin body with some reddish hues in it's brown color. Not a really nice looing beer, but hey, maybe it is a light porter. Gave it a whiff and - Whoa, there is some funky sourness in the nose- maybe this one is past its prime??? NO! I checked out the NG website to see how old this one is and I get the 411 on it! Based on a very old style of english porter it undergoes a souring. At this point, I still dont know what to think of it. It has some cherry notes, some tartness and a pretty dry finish. Nothing like any porter I have ever had. Then... I realize I like this more than any other porter I have ever had. This brew drinks so easy and cleanly. As it warms I get the aromas of an everyday porter- some roasted malt, a bit of coffee but still some sour dark fruit as well. Same with the flavor. I know this is quite a story, but I have not had a beer that has taken me by surprise like this one in quite a while!It has a rather thin, but slick mouthfeel and leaves a tart, but clean aftertaste. More of a chocolate covered sour cherry flavor as it warms as well. Cant wait to get more!!

DrDogbeer, Nov 20, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +22%

Pours a dark leathery brown with mahogany hues and a creamy beige head.

Nose is a bit one sided. Roasted malts, chocolate, oak and tart currants.

Taste has sour cherries up front followed by toasted malts, molasses, cocoa and earthy wood.

Crisp body is well carbonated. A bit light for a porter, but still compliments this beer perfectly. Very clean and refreshing.

rye726, Oct 10, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from Alen. Thanks man!

A: Pours a dark, clear brown body in the glass with a pinky-finger of light beige-colored foam. Retention is pretty short, leaving swirls of bubbles and a moderate collar on the brew. A couple of rings during each sip, but nothing that sticks.

S: Green apples, cherries, and wood, oh my! On pouring the bottle I was treated to this decidedly un-porter-like aroma, followed by some vinegar. Chocolate and coffee upon swirling. Some toffee, too. I honestly thought this was infected in some way.

T: Green apples, tart cherries, and acetic sourness up front. The mid-taste is lightly toasty and carries a tannic presence. Mild nuts and toffee, some dark chocolate. There is a hint of vanilla, smoke, and coffee near the finish, but the aftertaste is acetic again.

M: Very creamy and silky-smooth. The carbonation supports the body just right, delivering the flavor without being too prickly. It also cleans up nicely and prevents the flavor from getting syrupy (which I find is often a problem with cherry flavors). It's light-bodied, which is surprising for something so tasty.

D: Easily the most unique porter I've ever had. I really enjoyed this one, and I'd love to have it again.

Arbitrator, Dec 13, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

Bottle courtesy of nflmvp--thanks!

A: Pours a two-toned ruby red and dark chocolate, with a fluffy mocha finger of head, and plenty of slow moving, medium sized carbonation bubbles. The head lasts quite a while, and leaves a sheet of incredibly fine bubbles of sticky lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Heavy and dark, with dark cocoa, earth, and smoky, toasty tones. Medium coffee is also nicely blended in. There's typical porter notes, and a bit of sourness and bitter hops, but also cream and malts. In fact, smells crisp. I'm really getting a lot of smoke, oak, and earth out of the nose, but also a sour grapefruit, and cherries, which blend well with the chocolate. Creamy, smooth, chocolate. Nicely done, and slightly atypical. Acidic vinegar, salt, and soy sacue as it warms.

T: Starts out more like a sour than a porter, and ends up , well, much like you might expect it to. In fact, it's almost as if it's infected--reminds me of a couple bottles of Portsmouth stuff I cracked lately that was--but it's definitely not--it in no way looks infected and is far too well blended this way to be. There is a sourness in the taste that predominates that is barely suggested in the nose. Green apples, citrus (lemons, limes, and grapefruits), and sour candy are very much in your face (along with a slight note of white vinegar), and followed up by more traditional porter notes--milk, cream, chocolate, smoke, earth, roast coffee, and toast, which carry through to join the slightly hoppy aftertaste. The typical New Glarus fruit flavors are not lost here. Once you get past the sourness, there's some rather prominent raspberry notes.

M: Crisp, bubbly, and medium bodied, and not too juicy or too dry for the style. Just about the right level of carbonation, and leaves a light coffee, toast, and dark chocolate aftertaste on the palate.

D: Very complex, interesting, inventive, and well done! Easily drinkable and well brewed.

afausser, Jan 25, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured In: Snifter
Purchased At: Steve's Liquor

It should be noted here that I am not a big fan of dark beers. Hoppy beers and sour beers are my preferences. I saw that this beer underwent a souring process, so I am looking forward to giving this one a whirl.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with just a light tint of dark blood red color as well. I don't get any head on either of my two pours into the snifter, and there isn't any lace except for 3 dots sitting on the side of my glass. The beer is a bit too dark to see how effervescent it is.

Smell: Ooh, much more sour than I was expecting, and at the same time the amount of sour that I was hoping for. This is my kind of porter! The sourness brings in a little bit of fruit in the nose, including some sour cherries and raspberries. The malt comes through on the nose as well, although it isn't the highlight of the show. The malt profile strongly resembles the nose of my slightly toasted espresso after I make a shot of it.

Taste: The palate starts out with sourness and ends with sourness. Again, a very pleasant porter for me. As the beer crosses the palate my mouth puckers just slightly from the lactic acid. The fruit flavors then show up, including more cherries and just a few raspberries as well. This sour fruit character lasts until just near the end in which a little bit of toasted malt shows itself. Dark chocolate, a little oak, and more toasted espresso coffee beans shine through.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is spot on as soon as the beer is poured. A nice level of carbonation, a little on the low end, but that's usually how I like it. The body is medium, although it's definitely leaning towards the thin side of medium.

Drinkability: Another well put together beer from Dan and Deb. I wish more porters had this sour flavor to them.

Ek0nomik, Jan 11, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Haven't had much New Glarus before, and got this one as an extra from KeefB. I can be a sucker for an Old English Porter if done right.

A: Semi rich but still slightly light creamy head with lots of big bubbles. A bright but darker brown color, like dark brown sugar, very clear, lots of caramel color and some reddish hue. Tons of light piercing this guy.

N: Holy <BLEEP>! What's with this nose? Its got some nice porter aromas like some sweet toasty malts and brown sugar. But the big kicker is the sour cherry fruit, sweet lambic and yeast! I get lots of balotin (I think) cherry, some raisin, sour fruits, some dough like aromas, and even some slight vanilla. I also get a strange aroma almost of glue like I used to huff as a kid, oh man, I'm already getting high thinking about it. Perhaps some grape wine aromas as well, like it was aged in chardonnay barrels or something.

T: Do I dare? I dare I dare! Wow again! It has that sour sweet cherry flavor to start, but it stays light as the English porter flavors start to take over. Some roasted malts, lots of bready qualities. More raisin qualities and smoked malt flavors. Some vanilla and oak. The sour cherry starts to fade away at first, but then comes back super rampant towards the end. Some rich creamy wood like roasted porter flavors that I get in typical English porters that I was expecting can really be tasted in the background, once I get past all the sour fruits.

M: Semi thick and creamy, lightly spiced, pretty good carbonation.

F: The sour cherry really comes through in the finish as well. It's pretty hot on the mouth surprisingly for only 5.5%. A slight earthy bitterness also rings our, but the sour cherry really hits. Some smoked malt starts to cut back through again, as if it's battling with the sour cherry.

Also, I'm now enjoying this with an Irish Porter Cheese and it's an amazing combination too!

Final thoughts: I get a lot of reminders of La Folie Wood Aged Beer, with more porter flavors and smoked flavors. A very good beer, no, an extremely awesome beer. I could drink this all the time! I can't believe it got such a low rating (B+ isn't that low but to what I thought of it). Perhaps most people aren't ready for a soured English porter, but I think it's amazing. Bravo! I'm going to get as much of this as I can now! Thanks so much Keith!

jlindros, Nov 03, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from a bottle into a hybrid tulip pint.

Pours a deep copper brown with a red tinge. Head starts two fingered and recedes to a half inch cap. Leaves decent amounts of lacing and a ring with every sip.

Aroma is malt on the front with a stale aroma. Bit of oak on the nose with deep chocolate malt notes. Middle is roasty malt with a slightly acidic sourness. Finishes with a touch of hop and a mostly vinious grap aroma.

Flavor up front is malt with a huge accompaniament of sour. Sourness is akin to a saison with it's vinious and grape like flavor, this is different however with a rider of malt and a stale oakey, peaty flavor like aged scotch and roasted nuts. Caramel is in there with a nutty and slightly smokey flavor. This is quite a sour beer but not cloying. Finishes dry from the sourness and actually is quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is moderately crisp, but not thin. The carbonation is soft and full, very nice. Sourness is somewhat cleansing on the palate.

This is a very complex beer. The blending gives the characteristics of many different beers in one and I'm afraid mvocabulary is limited to the point that I can't do it justice with words, give it a try.

Edit 8/31; I had another tonight and, when I originally reviewed this brew my brain screamed FLANDERS, but I beat it down. "NO, NO", I said "it is not a brown sour!!!" But tonight my brain persisted. It's just that it's not completely a sour, it's much more. Maybe it should be so.

wheatyweiss, Aug 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

Chestnut brown with a clear look, nice head, whitish with good lacing. Not as dark as most porters, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt given the description.

Intriguing nose of vinegar sourness, backed by a solid malt. Wow, different from any other porter I've had. This is my 4th bottle and it still surprises me.

Fantastic sour malt with notes of good vinegar, but the malt plays a solid middle, not a dark chocolate malt rather more breadiness. Really refreshing and balanced for the front sourness leaves a lasting malt flavor on the pallet.

Slick and medium mouthfeel, with low carbonation and a lightness on the pallet. Love the flavor and for such a sessional beer this is a great drinker. Wish it was more available and regular, might not find much more of this...

robbyc1, Dec 29, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear chestnut color with a two finger head that leaves shards of lacing

Smell: Toasted brown bread with a hint of smoke and a growing balsamic vinegar aspect

Taste: It doesn't take long for the sour balsamic vinegar flavors to make their presence known - a hint of chocolate and brown bread and off we go in the sour direction, with a tart cherry element appearing as well by mid-palate; after the swallow, the tartness fades a little bit, with the chocolate and smoke elements increasing as a counterpoint, though the finish is still a bit puckery

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation and a puckery character

Drinkability: I have tasted this a few times and always enjoyed it but never got around to reviewing it until now; just love the creativity of this brew, even if it is a harkening back to a style that was brewed in the 1800s

brentk56, Sep 11, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

A buddy of mine recently found a four pack of this hiding at a gas station or something in Wisconsin and decided to save one for me and bring it back to NY.

The dark brown body sports a light brown cap of foam that has very good retention and lacing.

Surprisingly sour aroma sports a little bit of apple, some roasted malts and some smoke. Smells pretty good.

This is exactly what I picture an "Old English Porter" to taste like. Up front is a ton of sourness that is both acidic and fruity, with notes of both apples and vinegar. That initial sourness is followed by some sweet malts, some roast, and a hint of wood. The finish has a delightful smoked malt character to it. This beer is about a year and a half old right now, and despite the fairly low ABV, it is drinking wonderfully.

This might be a little bit light for a porter, but I think it works with the malty, sour mix that it has going on.

Old English Porter is a wonderful beer. Sour, malty, smokey, just like I imagine and old world porter would be. The balance and complexity of the flavors really sets this one apart. Another great beer from New Glarus.

Hojaminbag, Feb 13, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

The last of the bottles sent down from BeerFMAndy recently. This was the one I most anticipated, so I saved it for last. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a murky dark brown, with slight amber tints on the edges. Minor globs of lace stick to the glass. The aroma is musty and slightly sour. This smells like their Enigma, with faint old mushy fruits and oak. Glad I read the label before partaking in this, as I would have been thrown with this aroma.

The mouthfeel is moderately heavy with ample carbonation. Light funky flavor right away - old apples, raspberries, mild acidity. The first half of this beer finishes mildly tart as well. It's interesting though, because the more I sip, the more pronounced the "actual" Porter flavors pull through. My final few sips were more roasted in character carrying a semi-sweet toffee flavor.

This was a very unique and special brew. One of the more complex beers I have had in quite awhile. Thanks so much for this one, Andy! I really enjoyed it.

Onenote81, Mar 19, 2012