2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Unplugged Old English Porter - New Glarus Brewing Company

Unplugged Old English PorterUnplugged Old English Porter

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

English Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 276 | Reviews: 217 | Show All Ratings:
cosmicevan

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Bottle was a booby prize during suitcasejons craft beer nerd blind tasting challenge. Not sure what this beer was intended to be like but right now it is, we'll lets say interesting. Lactic and sour with hints of a chocolate porter on the back end. Grape sour and lacto dominate things but it is drinkable, just unique. Super unique. Soft nail polish remover over cocoa powder. Drank from a new glarus tasting glass.

03-15-2014 22:04:23 | More by cosmicevan
phishsihq

Colorado

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Unplugged series Old English Porter pours dark brown while ruby-red highlights mark the edges. A thin tan head caps the brew and provides a moderate level of lacing. Upon first sniff we were taken aback. Are English Porters supposed to be lactic smelling? Turns out this version from New Glarus was, and we couldn't be more excited. The lactic notes are joined with roasted malt as well as a touch of caramel, smoke, and balsamic vinegar. Truly, a wonderful bouquet! The first taste reveals a delightful tartness that hangs on the palate from sip to sip, start to finish. A treasure-trove of flavors swirl underneath the tartness. Toffee, chocolate, and lighter coffee flavors remind the drinker of roasted malt character while hints of vanilla, cherry, and dark fruits build a solid base underneath the sourness. Moderately carbonated, Old English Porter is medium bodied and slightly slick. Guess it is time we plan another road trip through western Wisconsin

06-10-2013 23:38:52 | More by phishsihq
kojevergas

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle acquired in a trade with the very gracious very generous Duff27. Label is fun, featuring a happy man holding up a stein. Old English Porter - Unplugged. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled-over standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Identified as a "brown porter" on the label, a style purportedly popular in 1870s London. Brewed with floor malted English malts including pale ale malt, Mariss Otter, and a touch of smoked malt. Aged on toasted oak. Soured. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery - which I adore.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted hard pretzels.

A: Pours a half finger refined beige colour head of nice cream, nice thickness, decent froth, and above average (~3 minute) retention. Head is soft and appealing, leaving an even layer of thin frothy lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a vibrant understanted caramel amber-brown. No yeast particles are visible; it's nontransparent yet semitranslucent. No bubble show. Generally good, but it pushes the boundaries of the style - at least the English Porter style as I'm familiar with it. Though the style described on the label seems to be a different, more obscure one. In any case, it looks good and I want it in my mouth. Silky and luscious.

Sm: Boy oh boy. Lightly sour, evoking a berliner weisse. Gorgeous wild yeast and lovely acidity. Lacto bacteria, definitely. Beneath that layer is a curious mixture of biscuit malts, brown malts, and subtle oak wood. Certainly a unique aroma. Marvelous depth of flavour. Buried caramel. Incredibly good balance. I can't wait to try this. A mild strength aroma, but wow.

T: That's a tasty fucking beer. The perfect amount of sourness - light lacto, maybe a bit of other bacteria/wild yeast - is married to an ideal brown malt foundation with delightful creamy character and an ideal complementary floral hop character. I'm immediately confronted by its unmistakable mastery and balance. Whoever made this knows what the hell they're doing. Light stonefruit, maybe supple ripe sugarplum and cherry. A touch of cidery character; sour apple. Majestic subtle oak is present throughout, guiding the flavours. This is the most pleasantly sour - I mean mellow sourness, not confronting sourness - beer I've ever had. I'd bet anyone who claimed not to like sours would like this. Impeccable balance, good depth of flavour, and undeniable subtlety. This stuff is lovely. Some of the most well-integrated intentional oak character I've ever come across. Delightfully evocative.

Mf: Smooth, creamy, and wet. Soft. Delicate. Refreshing. Crisp and smack-your-lips luscious. Feels custom-tailored specifically to the flavour profile. Acidic. This is fantastic. Carbonation could not be more perfect. Thickness is perfect. Palate presence is excellent. Wow. I don't know that it could be much better.

Dr: I could drink this all night. Each sip demands to be savored. The complexity and subtlety feels effortless. I'm in awe. This is a real treat. Incredible stuff. Redefines the way I see porters, even if this particular type of porter is obscure. A ridiculously good offering from New Glarus. They're rocketing to the top of my radar as one of the best breweries in this country.

A

03-02-2013 05:39:53 | More by kojevergas
katan

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 oz into a pint. out of the cellar.

A - Pours a brown color, clear and filtered. Mocha head formation, breaks down to a film rather quickly.

S - Holy funkiness - sour, could be spoiled? I know thats the point of this beer, but at this age it is super acidic.

t -Starts off lightly sweet, with some cherries perhaps. Then it comes in big time like apple vinegar. Extremely tart and sour, biting to the tongue. Has a fruity backdrop, maintaining that tart sour flavors but it just never shakes that full on acidity. Finishes, well, acidic.

M - Light in carbonation, fuller in body - akin to cask aged but not that frothy when agitated.

O/D - A very unique beer. This beer doesn't deserve a style in modern times. I remember when I bought it several years back - and the sign then clearly had problems with people not understanding its aim for historic accuracy than modern day taste. Let's just say i"m glad I tried it, and won't be too worried about not having one again.

01-11-2013 02:15:56 | More by katan
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

Broke this guy out at the camping trip this summer with elrogish. Pours a lighter color than I've seen just about any porter, more amber than brown. Beige head, about .3" in height, not super impressive. Aroma was the tartest of any porter I've had, they really went for what I think historically went down, these things all had some various bugs in them, sometimes making the beer awful, sometimes a little sour, a little diacetylish in a good/indifferent way, and they probably blended some barrels to get the somewhat desired result. Aroma leans cherry, mild light cracker and biscuit like malt presence.

Taste, wow, just phenomenal amount of mild cherry sourness, with an easy, sessionable body to the beer. Falls somewhere in the realm of sour browns and flemish reds, it really doesn't have the usual porter body. The sourness is actually pretty clean and bright, not really that bogged down sour wood feel you get for some similar kind of beers. Maybe a real small percentage of chocolate malt in this one.

Overall, I really liked it, and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a historical reclamation act like this in the future.

10-31-2012 22:20:27 | More by Beerandraiderfan
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle from Sammy, 12oz bottle into a tulip. December 2009 bottling date.

Brown with some ruby at the edges. Khaki head with some mild retention. Nose of nuts (amaretto liqueur comes to mind), molasses, caramelized dark fruits and some sweet malt character. Slight oxidation. Taste isn't as nice, lightly tart dark fruits, dark breads, oxidation, chocolate, light smoke and some remnants of the nuttiness found in the nose. Rich malt character overshadowed by the tartness. Medium feel, higher carbonation. A good beer, but the tartness detracts more than it adds to this for me.

08-23-2012 02:34:55 | More by liamt07
Onenote81

4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

The last of the bottles sent down from BeerFMAndy recently. This was the one I most anticipated, so I saved it for last. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a murky dark brown, with slight amber tints on the edges. Minor globs of lace stick to the glass. The aroma is musty and slightly sour. This smells like their Enigma, with faint old mushy fruits and oak. Glad I read the label before partaking in this, as I would have been thrown with this aroma.

The mouthfeel is moderately heavy with ample carbonation. Light funky flavor right away - old apples, raspberries, mild acidity. The first half of this beer finishes mildly tart as well. It's interesting though, because the more I sip, the more pronounced the "actual" Porter flavors pull through. My final few sips were more roasted in character carrying a semi-sweet toffee flavor.

This was a very unique and special brew. One of the more complex beers I have had in quite awhile. Thanks so much for this one, Andy! I really enjoyed it.

03-19-2012 12:43:27 | More by Onenote81
Flux

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured straight from fridge into a pint glass.

A- Brown to amber. No head.

S- Instantly smelled sour but not in an infected way. It really reminded me of a flemish sour...almost like a monks cafe. Dark fruits. can't read too much of the malts and even less of the hops. Really wonderful smell though.

T- Sour. Picking up tart plum and even a little raspberry. Toffee/coffee malts and smoked malts come through. Clean tasting. minimal hops.

M- Crisp and effervescent.

Overall I must say I wasn't expecting a porter to be sour but I guess this is the first Old English Porter I've ever had. It helped a lot reading the label on the side of the bottle and knowing why it was processed/soured in this manner. I'm a fan of flemish sours, so I guess this was a pretty tasty beer in the end. However, I can see how this could be a disappointment for someone who was expecting more of the current standard idea of a porter. I'm really enjoying this, unfortunately I only had 1 bottle...

12-24-2011 03:27:24 | More by Flux
trxxpaxxs

2.9/5  rDev -22.3%

Big thanks to leschkie for this bottle.

A: Pours a dark brown with huge redish hues throughout. There is about 1 finger of off-white head that slowly dissipates.

S: Smells yeasty, bready, and a sour. It actually reminds me of church wine mixed with fermented bread. I also get a bit of soy and candies plums.

T: Wow. Sour. Like vinegar mixed with Sour-Patch Kids. Yup, I'd say that's an accurate description. I'm not a fan of this.

M: Medium bodied beer, but it's super tart and finished really dry.

O: I wasn't really expecting the flavors of this beer to be so sour. I don't think this is an awful beer, but it's certainly not my favorite. Either-way, I'm happy to have tried it.

12-17-2011 20:28:58 | More by trxxpaxxs
nataku00

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a dark brown, cola like in color with a finger of tan colored bubbly head that quickly dissipated to a collar of bubbles. Pretty highly carbonated with a lot of bubbles at the edge of the glass.

Nose is dark fruits, prunes and figs and dates. Really sweet and tangy smelling. Some brown sugar and molasses, clove. Definitely soured and vinous. Really interesting.

Follows the nose, dark fruits, brown sugar and molasses sweetness, then some acidity and red wine like quality. Fruity esters and spice from the yeast contribute flavors in the mid palate, as well as some toasted malt flavors. Finish is sweet and sour, with continued dark fruits, roasted malt, charred wood, and a balsamic vinegar acidity.

Light to medium body with ample soft carbonation. Wasn't expecting this beer to be soured until I smelled it and went back read the label. Very interesting beer.

12-11-2011 03:37:22 | More by nataku00
beagle75

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, light brown color with a peripheral ring of parchment tinted foam. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Lactic acid and musty oak combine to appear like a classic oud bruin. Rustic bread is also detected, influenced by the brown malt.

T: Begins off-dry, with semi-dark grain and lactic tartness that is moderate in intensity and slightly fruity. Well-aged wood stands out throughout, especially during the first half. Flavors of nutty roast, vanilla extract, and molasses are joined in the middle, with even deeper chocolate advancing into the finish.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet and slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This very respectable sour ale may get a bad rap as a porter, yet its lactic and oaky qualities fairly shine. It offers a satisfying moderate intensity of tartness that does not hang uncomfortably in the throat like some. Dark flavors do not seem too dark, staying nutty and with a dusting of sticky brown sugar in the excellent middle. Flavors fade as fast in the finish as they advanced at the start, leaving the palate hungry for more. While blindly pairing this with food could prove disastrous, by itself it makes for a sour treat.

10-22-2011 02:44:33 | More by beagle75
Brenden

I was not expecting a sour when I started. It helps to read the label. I never realized the history of this style or really that it even existed, as no one does it anymore. I am intrigued.

This is a medium brown beer with a red tint to it. A light brown head climbs to a finger and a half and retains itself well. It eventually fades to a foam of respectable thickness that leaves a good amount of lacing in patches along the way.
Here's where it gets interesting. Lots of tartness on the nose with a vinegar character, but not too much. The malts are there, particularly imparting the dry and crackery element. A touch of peat and smoke try to make their way through as well. Forget raspberry vinaigrette; if there was such a thing, it's more like tart cherry and green apple peel vinaigrette. The thing I'm really looking for is that the porter aspect isn't lost in the sourness. It's not perfect, but the brewer did a good job.
The taste follows suit, and this beer proves it's not a bad idea to use a darker, maltier style as a base for a sour. The difference in the flavor is that a touch more earth, light caramel sweetness and some woody dryness come out.
Carbonation is moderate in a medium body. A bit crisp and fairly smooth, drinkability is no issue for one who can stomach sours. As expected, there's a fair level of dryness.

09-28-2011 13:43:44 | More by Brenden
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

For all those unfamiliar with the English Porters from the 1800s these are supposed to be sour. It even states it on the bottle, "Half of the batch went through a souring fermentation in the traditional way..."

Sadly this is my last bottle in the cellar.

A: very nice clear, deep cooper color, poured with a head that dissipated but keep a bit on the side of the glass
S: intriguing ripe plum notes with gentle earthy sour and barrel aging with medium nose and some EtOH, sherry-like
T: very earthy leather, unusual and intriguing beer - strong flavored and very enjoyable, definite sour notes but well-balanced by roasted malt and wood-aging
M: didn't know what to expect with sourness but I really like the mouthfeel with roasted malts and wood aging, slightly thin in finish

09-22-2011 01:28:31 | More by wisrarebeer
rudzud

4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

HUGE thanks to JLindros for letting me sample this beer. Holy cow I enjoyed it!

A - Poured into a snifter a ruddy garnet hue with minimal lacing and head retention.

S - Holy cow. I've got porter notes (chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla) along with sour vinegar notes, almost like a flanders. Noce is shokingly confusing and intruiging.

T - My goodness! Its a porter, its a flanders, no its a porter, no, its a flanders! What is this?! Delicious, thats what it is. The chocolatey roast malts gives way to sour cherries which don't necessarily overpower the porter notes, it definately makes itself known. Stuff is delicious to say the least.

M - Super carbonated for a beer of its age the higher carbonation is more what I expect to get from a flanders opposed to a porter. While I love the carbonation and it works wonderfully with this interpretation, a porter should be smooth and creamy, which this is not. Its got a heck of a bite though.

O - Overall I loved this beer alot. Pretty much the best of two different worlds here. Wish I could drink this more often than the one time I get to have it. Definately worth seeking out and trying, and worth a higher grade too.

08-20-2011 04:09:49 | More by rudzud
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Thanks Taturbo for the trade

Appearance:
Dark brown with no haze and no head. The bubbles that are slowly replenishing the head are small and eggshell colored. This beer appears granite along the edges when held to the light.

Smell:
What the hell is this beer. I smelled it and thought I had received an infected bottle. After reading some reviews I saw everybody's description of "sour fruits and malt vinegar." I would also add a touch of soy sauce and caramel sugars. Definitely a pungent vinegar smell associated with this beer.

Taste:
Now I would be certain this beer is infected without reading some reviews. I did not expect this coming from an english porter, but I suppose it's an accurate representation in all respects except the vinegar dryness. I detect a slight coffee note in the aftertaste, but roasted barley is uncharacteristic for porters, so I'm not sure what the hell I'm tasting...

Mouthfeel:
Soy sauce mixed with dirt all mixed together with vinegar. The body of this beer is light and the aftertaste is puckering dryness. Carbonation seems to tingle around my tongue with each sip. Frankly this beer isn't very palatable and can only be sipped slowly. Definitely not my favorite mouthfeel.

Overall:
This beer upsets me. It was completely unexpected, which isn't ever a bad thing (in fact it's what I thrive on), but not in a desirable manner. I like the incorporation of sourness into beers, wild ales/lambics being some of my favorites, however dumping fermented pond scum into a bottle doesn't give a beer character.

08-04-2011 01:31:52 | More by ThePorterSorter
baconsausage

Vermont

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

Split a 12oz with my homie. Rusty russett brown with very little carbonation. A little butter and wet malt vinegar nose, if there is such a thing, leads into a wet malt vinegar taste. This is too thin and watery this late in its life, but it is still interesting. None of the roast or darker malt that you would expect from a porter, even an old english one.

07-28-2011 23:21:30 | More by baconsausage
Wadsey

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Old English Porter

Served in New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours clear amber-brown with modest head that has little retention. Minimal effervescence.

S: Malt vinegar figures most prominently on nose. Quite striking. Additional aromas, which are quite subdued, include tomato paste or sun-dried tomatoes, earth, spirit vinegar, toasted rye bread, and aged oak.

T: A little sweetness and then above characteristics roll in. They are quite mellow, which probably adds to my enjoyment. A note of vanilla is also detected. Low-grade roast shows up before finish. Little bitterness. Malt vinegar lingers on palate for a long time.

M: Medium-light body and carbonation. Somewhat soft mouthfeel that compliments mellow acetic taste of this beer.

O: I understand that some folks say that Flanders Red Ales and Porters share a common ancestor and that early porters were more sour than present-days. So New Glarus aims for those targets with Old English Porter. Who knows, they might have hit them.  With that said, I think this beer drinks more like a Flanders Red Ale/Oud Bruin hybrid. I find it to be quite engaging and thought-provoking.

07-23-2011 01:39:39 | More by Wadsey
ahq514

2.4/5  rDev -35.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip.

Pours a deep amber/brown with a reddish hue. About a one finger head.

Very prominent smell of sour fruit and vinegar. Get some typical porter aromas in the background of roastiness and chocolate, but the sour fruit dominates it.

Tastes exactly as a soured porter would taste. I thought this was an infected batch at first and then I read the label and it says that half the batch went through sour fermentation. There was a little bit of smoke, roast, coffee, and chocolate on the finish, but the sour vinegar really threw me and dominated the taste. By the taste, I would say this is a sour brown/flanders oud bruin, not a porter.

Mouthfeel was good. Carbonation was good, lighter medium body.

Overall, I'm still not sure what to think of this beer. Maybe its my dislike of overly sour things, but I was not a fan of this beer. Too sour. The other elements that I expected from a porter I think should have been more prevalent. Sorry New Glarus, but I did not like this one.

07-18-2011 02:27:07 | More by ahq514
orangesol

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

I brought this one to the Ffej of July Party. I got this in a trade awhile ago but I am just now getting around to drinking it.

A - Pours clear light brown with a nice one finger tall off-white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of toasted caramel malt, toffee, coffee, and some light chocolate sweetness help to break up the strong sourness. Along with the vinegary sourness you get hints of cherries and dark fruits.

T - Starts off with a bright acidic sour kick up front slowly giving way to a mix of lightly toasted caramel malt, dark fruits, coffee, chocolate, and cherries. Little to no alcohol can be detected. The finish has quite a bit of sourness, lingering through the finish.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Tart, watery, feel lingering for some time.

O - I actually really liked this one. It was the last beer I had at the party and I think it was the perfect beer to finish with. It is complex, yet classic. The sourness is strong but not to the point of being overpowering. Very nice.

07-12-2011 19:11:12 | More by orangesol
Ssomnoremac

4.63/5  rDev +24.1%

Am I obsessed with this beer because it is so hard to find? I brought six back to LA with me quite a few months ago and now I'm down to one. I'm still convinced, tasting many other beers, that this is the finest sour beer I've ever tasted.

A: Reddish brown, not a lot of head or lacing

S: Raisins all over the place, and vinegar

T: Well balanced sour with raisins and smoked malt. Complex sweetness and malts follows the initial puckering. Every sip is this front-back thing which is so great all throughout. Can't see why this turns people off.

M: Probably my favorite mouthfeel beer. Sour, with champagne-like carbonation, but with a porter's malty viscosity. It really lingers in the mouth and has you coming back for more.

O: This beer, and the historical and chemical research behind it, is why this brewery is so fascinating. These people care, and that is why this beer is so remarkable. It is unique and good. If this was anything like the Porter the English drank in the 19th century, those were some happy people.

06-29-2011 15:05:33 | More by Ssomnoremac
buzbuzzer

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Last tasting was during the Superbowl, had to show the Wisconsin love. Had a total of 3 and holding my last one for a good day.

This beer keeps getting better, or my taste buds are finally catching up. Starting with a strange tang that really was not pleasing on my first taste, the last tasting showed high notes of salted caramel, unlike any beer I have ever tried. That among everything else stood out and I loved it! Can’t wait to try my last bottle or trade for more.

06-17-2011 02:51:43 | More by buzbuzzer
UCLABrewN84

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a clear dark amber color with a 1 inch tan head that fades to a thin cap. Nice foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smells of roasted malt, peanut butter, wood, and a bit of sour funky aromas. Taste is of roasted malts, peanut butter, and slight wood/earth. There is a sour kick to this beer that I love. The beer has a good level of carbonation that makes for a smooth and somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a tasty recreation of an 1870s porter. The sourness in this beer is definitely not found in today's porters. It's interesting to see how beer has evolved over time if this is an example of how beer used to be.

06-08-2011 00:39:48 | More by UCLABrewN84
neorunner

1.83/5  rDev -50.9%

Thanks to Kirk (Florida9) for sending me this beer in Round #5 of the Blind Beer BIF.

Blind #3
Dark / Low / Pint or Tulip

Slightly cloudy dark copper color with some tiny carbonation bubbles.

Smell is a nice touch of lactose and vinegar and a hint of smoke.

This want to be classic aged chinese vinegar, but instead tastes like it was made in a lab with Limeade and Starsan.

The overall taste is an astringent bitter butter mess. Tartness but not overly cloying in the finish.

Guessing style I'm going to go with Flanders Oud Bruin for the style.

The reveal New Glarus Unplugged Old English Porter. Hmm, while I realize they intentionally soured half the batch I think it took hold of the rest of the beer.

Checking on the reviews it looks like this beer hasn't survived the test of time and the bugs are winning.

Guess it's time to send a nuke down a bug hole...

06-04-2011 17:35:41 | More by neorunner
stakem

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. This brew appears brown in color until it is held to the light. Once light passes through this brew, it shows off ruby clarity through the body almost looking like cherry juice. A thin cap of white bubbles sits across the top that gravitate towards the edges of the glass and remain.

The smell of this brew is quite lactic to the extent of sourness is picked up right upfront. It produces a mild fruit scent not too far off from rotten cherries mixed with plenty of vinegar. The collective scents together form a smell that lasts inside the nose reminiscent of apple cider vinegar that dominates all other aspects of the nose. As the brew warms, more fruity sweet scents evolve.

The taste is mostly vinegar mixed with a lightly lemony lactic quality that approaches a fruited flavor of apples. More sips reveal more tastes that get increasingly more like apple cider vinegar to the point where that is all I can taste and all the base beer flavors are missing. Once the brew warms, and I try to focus less on the vinegar aspect, a light amount of sweetness comes out to contrast the acidity. The aftertaste is like chlorinated tap water.

This is a medium bodied brew with modest carbonation. It is very tangy and an interesting interpretation of the old style porters. The alcohol is integrated well. I appreciated the opportunity to give this brew a try but I don't think I could enjoy this too often. The person I shared this with absolutely loved it, he ended up drinking most of the bottle. New Glarus website has a very nice right up about this brew and the history of the style. It was more enjoyable and interesting in my opinion than the beer but I'm glad I got to try it. I think there are some other breweries out there who have a spin on this style that is more enjoyable with less focus on vinegar.

05-27-2011 14:08:57 | More by stakem
mdaschaf

Washington

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light brown with a one finger tan head. Quick dissipation to a thin ring around the edges. Not much lacing.

S: Surprisingly sour...didn't see that one coming at all. Very fruity with raisins and cherries, some caramel, and brown sugar.

T: Was ready for the sourness after smelling it. Quite acidic, with sour fruits but there is also a roasted malt flavor. There is a slight nuttiness as well. However, it also does taste a bit oxidized.

M: Light to medium bodied, with slightly high carbonation. Strangely tart up front but smooth on the finish.

O: Different. I kinda liked it, but the metallic/oxidation took it down a bit.

05-18-2011 00:54:19 | More by mdaschaf