Unplugged Old English Porter - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

English Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-10-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a dark brown color with one finger of off white head.

Scent of dry oak, ash, coffee, sugars, and a hint of tart cranberry.

Taste of oak, chocolate, grain, roasted malts, and the same tart cranberry with lasting flavor of ash, oak, and chocolate. A unique and tasty Porter.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a light bite.

paco1029384756, Aug 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Thanks to Kane from Roof Brothers for this one.
Pours out a dark and cloudy Ice Tea color with one finger of white/offwhite suds that stick around for a while. Some lacing.
Smell is like the malt vinegar you get at the fish places like Cap. D's? Really going to be slightly sour.
Taste confirms the smell. Malty sugar and a slightly woody flavor. This has great complexity and character. Hope they keep putting this one out.
Mouthfeel is very clean I guess because of all the bretts.
Drinkability is great if you could buy a couple of cases!

peabody, Aug 16, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

A- It was a semi-transparent deep clear brown in color with a scant head leaving slight lacking on the glass.
S- It is like your smelling a granny smith apple cooked over a campfire.
T- Tart draw with a slowly evolving malty body ending in a tongue bittering finish.
M-At first it is light on the mouth then it has an effervescent slightly carbonated sweet/sour end.
D- This is not an everyday beer but, it is very pallatable and I enjoyed it throughly.

RJUGA03, Aug 13, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

I hereby delete my previous review and will offer a beermail received from Dan Carey himself. I suppose I was uninformed and/or too lazy to research the intentions of the brewing of this beer and had originally stated and wondered if the beer was infected or not due to the slightly sour edge. I feel as though this is my answer. I did like the beer and can suggest trying it, though keep in mind this is a rather unique porter.

Dear Sir,
This beer is not spoiled! It was inspired by the writings of Graham Wheeler, a noted English Beer Historian. Mr. Wheeler describes the original Porters as: "... the least understood of the old British beers. The subject (of the Porter Beer Style) is complicated and confused because porter's heyday lasted from about 1700 to the pale ale revolution of the mid 1800's. During that time it passed through many transformations. Porter was simply a mixture of two brown beers. The only characteristic that set the porter apart from any other beer of the day was that porter was deliberately soured by adding a percentage of sour beer to freshly brewed beer. The original porters were not, as is commonly supposed, jet-black in colour, but a translucent brown. They had a rich, smoky flavor derived from the use of brown malt and a winey aftertang produced by the deliberate souring, highly regarded by Londoners." Our interpretations is a Brown Porter based on the style popular in 1870's London. It was brewed with mostly floor malted English malts including the famed pale ale malt, Maris Otter. A touch of smoked malt produced by Briess Malting Company of Chilton Wisconsin was also used. Half of the batch went through a souring fermentation, in the traditional way, to promote the characteristic wine-like acidity. Lastly the beer was aged on wood to extract sweetness from toasted oak.
Cheers,
Dan Carey

P.S. New Glarus kicks ass, as does its beautiful new location. A must stop for anyone within a 500 mile radius (and beyond).

RblWthACoz, Aug 12, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Fresh from the brewery, this is the latest release in the ever-reliable Unplugged series.

It pours into a Duvel tulip a high clarity reddish brown. There was a small head of creamy, light tan foam that sparkled on the sides when in the light. Spindly lace was left as it was sipped. Woody aroma with malt sweetness and a hint at coffee. Taste has a tart cranberry apple acidity, like a sparkling red wine, which makes an interesting twist on this historical style. Something in the mouthfeel, and buttery oak in the background reminds me of Enigma, which enhances it. Roasty and alternately fruity. Toasty, woody oak that lingers for a long time. The combination is pleasant and certainly creative. Definitely buy it when you see it!

emerge077, Aug 10, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -50.9%

If this was marketed as a sour brown I would get it. I wouldn't like it, but I would get it.

As an "Old English Porter," I am flat mystified. It isn't old. It isn't English. It isn't a Porter.

I know the label claims that the Brits used to drink this stuff back in the day but I just don't buy it. Maybe it's possible that the rag collectors, match sellers, and night soil men of the late Dickensian era were forced to sip on such a foul beer out of abject poverty. Maybe... but I'm not going to drink it.

Appearance: Ultramirky deep dark almost purple brown with an eggshell white head.

Aroma: Rotten cherries, cocoa, vinegar, and faint smokiness.

Taste: Hints of cocoa and coffee grounds try as they might just can't escape the overwhelming flavors of rot and vinegar. We're not talking clean vinegar here either. I'm talking about putting some raisons in a glass, pouring some apple juice on them, leaving them on the window sill for a week, and seeing what happens sort of vinegar. It just tastes foul and wretched. A touch of sour cherry shines through on occasion.

Mouthfeel: Hypercarbonated and utterly sour and without any hope of anything else coming through. I love sour beers but this just doesn't work. All of the porter aspects are overwhelmed by it. The wood notes are overwhelmed by it, and "it" doesn't bring anything along for the ride. Nowhere in this beer are found pleasant sour notes of lemon or dank hay, nor do we find interesting, though sometimes off putting notes of horse blanket or barnyard muck. All we get is rot for rot's sake.

Drinkability: Drain Pour.

One dimensional, offensive, and misexecuted.

DaPeculierDane, Dec 22, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -36.2%

I was on a business trip in Milwaukee and was on a mission to acquire as much of the unplugged series as possible. My previous experience of the unplugged series was great so I was super pumped to try this. When I went to the store to purchase this 4 pack the clerk asked if I liked sours, and I do, so I was even more pumped to try this. I also checked the reviews and it mostly had good reviews.
So when I tried this brew I tried it with a few other fellow BAs. Upon pouring this beer it had a light brownish color. Upon smelling this beer I got a lot of coffee on the nose and could smell the sour (interesting). The taste was something completely different, just awful, a rotten mess, almost like rotten fruits. Out of 7 of my BA friends only 1 liked this one.
Now I will say this tho, the smell and taste were so completely different from each other it blew my mind and I felt I had a great appreciation for the craft in this beer. I wouldn't ever order it in a bar or go to great lengths to try this but none the less Im glad I had the opportunity to taste it. I really don't see how this one got rave reviews.

Srodri10, Oct 09, 2009