Unplugged Old English Porter - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

English Porter |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-10-2009

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Part of a New Glarus mix pack Dan brought me back from Wisconsin. I was initially excited to try this one. Aromas of red wine, milk chocolate and oak. On the palate, thin and quite tart, with flavors of milk chocolate and red wine clashing with one another. A very interesting beer, one which started to grow on me after a while, although I have no interest in seeking out another. (381 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%

*received as an extra from a trade last year. Thanks, GbVDave!*
12oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a clean, nut brown color, like breadcrusts. Buttermilk foam doesn't build up past one finger of head, but it sticks to the glass in dots and dashes. *note to self: add "morse code lacing" to your vocabulary of terms* Body looks to be pretty thin considering the way it moves in the glass.

I knew that this was going to be somewhat sour. Those nose took me by surprise, though. Tart, acidic aromas hit you first and foremost. Sometimes I smell malt vinegar, other times it's a fruitier sort of apple cider vinegar. But there's always some sort of vinegar aroma. But there's brown malts underneath it all; sweet brown sugar peeks out through all the tartness. I pick up on the oak barrel, too; that sweet woodsy vanilla trademark aroma informs the malt profile. Just a trace of baker's chocolate as the beer warms up.

Trust me: you will taste the acidic tart flavors first. On first sip it tastes like bile until you get the sweet malty backend. On second sip the sour flavor starts to gain definition, taking on a red wine vinegar quality. It's pretty puckering in the way that the Oud Bruin style is (a style that I am reminded of quite a bit with this beer, for obvious reasons). Some of the sharpness mellows out to an overripe apple flavor. The back end of the drink is malty from the start. But don't expect a robust porter. This is much closer to a brown ale in malt profile than anything, which I'm sure is historically accurate to the 1870's London time period that New Glarus aspired to recreate with this beer.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice. It is pretty thin for a porter, English or not, but somehow gains some satisfying body on the swallow. Carobnation is muted, which works with the vinegar flavors I suppose. Drinkability is also pretty nice considering that this is a sour. If you like Oud Bruins or Flanders Reds (neither of which I am crazy about) then the drinkability will be higher for you.

This is a bold and worthy experiment for New Glarus. I think that this beer is entirely successful given the aims of its project. (2,150 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip 11/13/10.

An aggressive pour helps a small head forms but immediately dies down to a thin off-white ring around the sides of the glass. Body is dark brown with some slight red showing when held to light. A good measure lighter than typical for the style.

Aroma is dominated by balsamic vinegar with some cheesy notes. I knew this was going to be slightly sour and funky but I can't say I was prepared for this. There's some fruit in there too but it's hard to pick much out through the vinegar.

Flavor adds some toffee sweetness which cuts through well. Not as sour as the aroma might have you guess and although I love sour beer I'm going to say it's a good thing in this case. Still slightly cheesy. Missing any real roasted malt or chocolate character.

Body is a little thin and carbonation is low. Interesting enough and not a bad beer but it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. (930 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle courtesy of hu5om. Thanks Ryan! I'm a BIG New Glarus fan.

Tons of info on the New Glarus bottle regarding the beer, as usual, but never a freshness date.

It pours a very dark brown with red highlights, good 1 finger head of foam, a tiny bit of lacing.

The smell? Smells sour! I'm sure it is not meant to be in this Porter as the label talks about malts and smoke and...ooops, it *does* mention sour. "Half of the batch went through a souring fermentation". Well, blow me away. Does this really belong in the English Porter style? It certainly has prejudiced the beer for me...

The taste is just as sour. Lots of apple vinegar, yeah, I get some smokiness, some hint of a malt presence. Mind you, I'm enjoying the flavours and the sourness but I was caught off guard big time when I read the style that this was under. I had different expectations.

Medium body, medium carbonation, very wine like mouth feel. Cool.

Drinkability? As soon as I reconciled to the fact that souring was brought into the picture on purpose for this "English Porter", I started to enjoy it more. It was one hell of a surprise though. I *thought* I had an infected bottle or something when I took my first whiff. (1,200 characters)

Tree bark brown with dark pumpkin peel highlights and several fingers of sandalwood colored cream. The foam has a great deal of character as it melts and is beginning to grace the glass with all sorts of interesting lace patterns.

After reading about the beer's origins on the New Glarus website, it smells like Mr. Carey hit his target in the bull's eye. And that target was 'what porters tasted like in the 1870s'. Toasted, nutty, and overripe apple fruity are uppermost, with a malt vinegar undertow that should be interesting on the palate.

Unplugged Old English Porter won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it's damn good beer if you understand and appreciate the historical roots of the style. It also helps if you like sour ales and if you have an adventurous streak when it comes to beer.

More than one year in the bottle was a concern going in, especially at 5.5%, but acidity has allowed this brew to age gracefully. In fact, one of its strong suits is that it doesn't taste aged at all. Chances are, any bottles you're sitting on should be good for quite some time.

Similarities to a Flanders oud bruin are obvious. And yet, OEP pulls off the 'sour English Porter' thing with ease. The flavor is akin to brown bread soaked in apple cider vinegar and red wine, then coated with a thick layer of sour cherry preserves. Hints of oak are appreciated. Too bad the small percentage of smoked malt doesn't make more of an impact.

The mouthfeel is right where it should be for the ABV. It's big enough to be pleasurable and the bubbles are well-buried, yet still noticeable. This is good, solid beer all the way around and right through the middle.

Unplugged Old English Porter is not a beer that would sell well if released on a regular basis, since most beer drinkers would be put off by the sourness and acidity. On the other hand, beer geeks with an appreciation for history will find a hell of a lot to like. Thanks Eric. (1,934 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for hooking this up!

A: Pours a translucent brown with a ruby hue when held up to the light, capped by a finger of frothy off-white head. Retention is moderate as it settles down to a thin layer of foam and holds steady there.

S: Vinegar and tart cherries up front, followed by semi-sweet chocolate, light coffee and a big dose of roasted malts. Oak, vanilla and caramel follow in the background.

T: Tart acidity up front with a good cherry character, but transitions into a more traditional porter on the mid-palate with chocolate, roasted malts and caramel coming in. Oak and vanilla come in near the finish, where the sour cherries finally drop out, leaving a long after taste of roasted malts and vanilla.

M: Light to medium bodied with low to moderate, creamy carbonation.

D: The sour aspect keeps it from being quaffable, but it's a good, interesting beer. (890 characters)

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to Barrythebear for this bottle.

Pours a dark brown color with a bit of an off white head. The nose immediately shows something different. I have to ask myself whether this is infected or whether the sourness was intended. After looking over BA and NG's website, I can see it's the latter. Really turned out well. Some roasted malt and chocolate plus some finely-tuned espresso and a bit of cherry. Bitter, slightly tart coffee and cherry notes come through in the taste as well. Good feel with the slight sourness. Great idea and well executed. (575 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -66.9%

Man, I really hope I just got a bad bottle of this one, but after reading some of the other guys I don't think so.

A- Pours a very odd looking grayish red color with a thin layer of bubbles for a head. No lacing at all.

S- Smells really funky. Nothing like I expected since it say English Porter. A tiny bit of darker fruits.

T- Ok this is terrible. Very sour and almost like vinegar. Nothing porter like at all.

M- Pretty thin in body and light carbonation.

D- Ok I've tried to New Glarus brews today and both went down the drain. Good luck with this one. I guess if your a big sour fan you might like this one. (619 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz bottle served in a Bruery tulip

A - Very dark brown with a ruby hue when looking through it into the sun. Features a small white head and quality lacing.

S - A touch of vinegar, roasted malt, oak, and vanilla.

T - Vinegar, a hint of sour cherry --> oak, vanilla on the back half. Nicely sour, but also kind of rich.

M - Creamy, yet decently light. Very good carbonation.

D - Not bad. This is tasty stuff and the offsetting sweet/sour works.

While this isn't my favorite Unplugged beer, it's still really good, and it's always nice to try an obscure take on a style. Worth a purchase if you can still find it. (623 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +0.3%

Man, this was an unusual brew... Sort of a hybrid between a porter and a sour... It worked pretty well...

Poured into a pint glass a light brown with a fairly decent head... Weakest aspect of the beer to me.... Looked very tea-like and pretty dank and dreary...

A sour dank aroma mixes with the dark toastiness of the malts here... Rather unusual to say the least... Not unpleasant but pretty unorthodox... Slight hints of cocoa and maybe some vanilla or oakiness... A touch of vinegar as well...

Thus one starts off dead sour with a tart acidic twang that slowly turns into a soft porter like taste and finishes as others have said just like cake batter... Its a dead ringer for it... This one grew on me quite a bit from the start but as I got closer to the end of the pint, the novelty began to grow tiresome...

I did enjoy this brew quite a bit and REALLY would have like to try this one right out of the gates.... I have yet to be disappointed by a New Glarus offering though.... (990 characters)

12 oz bottle into Duval tulip.
A:  a distant, but present flavor of cake. With an oak, cherry and cake on the tastes, this finds it's way to be a slow sipper to prolong the essences of the many flavors.

S: The presence of a oak and cherry bath. Medium intensity on the aroma.

T/M: The front is a blend of tart cherries and oak. A nice use of oak in the fermentation of is beer. The body holds a oak note throughout. The mouthfeel is a silky, tart note. On the finish this brew shows notes of cake batter.

D: I do not find this to a beer that I would personally want to drink often, or many at the same sitting, but I do see it fit for a tasting or to try with friends at like the diversity in e many beer styles. All around good flavors and aromas, as well as the lightness on the way down, this gains respect in the drinkability category.   (849 characters)

12oz bottle in pint glass
this bottle has been in my fridge since the end of last summer/ Great Taste of Midwest (~14 months)

A: Crystal clear, light brown with ruby highlights. A very thin off-white head and no lace.
S: Woodiness, a little sourness, maybe lactic acid, some sweetness, reminds me of sour cherries.
T: The sour cherry is much more pronounced, there is some earthiness as well as some wood.
M: Well attenuated, but not watery, a medium level of carbonation. It comes across as crisp, but it is hard to tell if it is the acids or the attenuation/carbonation. Nice.
D: I have had this so long because I was not a fan when I tried it at the Great Taste, but I had already bought the 4 pack. When I tried the first bottle it was too sour. I don't know if my tastes have changed or it has mellowed a little, but this is a very refreshing beer. I know that there is a belief that traditional porters were likely sour, so it is fun to think that this is what a porter would have been 200 years ago. This ends up being a good beer, that goes down nicely. There is a good mix of flavors to give you something to think about. I understand why they would not make this on a regular basis, but this would be a very good seasonal beer like Hopslam, something to look forward to each year. (1,294 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

A big thanks goes out to jmp485 for sending a four pack of this brew my way. As described on the bottle, this a brown porter, almost amber in fact. About a finger of white heading rises, then fades quickly. A large amount of vinegar comes through right away, not unlike the nose on a Flemish Red. Beneath that red wine vinegar smell there is cocoa. Very sour in the front, with some stone fruit, but it quickly becomes more cocoa centered. The prickly carbonation fits these two dimensions perfectly, increasing its complexity. The body overall is light, helping the drinkability. I guess by today's standards this would be more of an Oud Brune, but I am not going to argue with the characterization. I love this style of beer (easily within my top five). If more traditional English Porters had this sour dynamic, I would be drinking more of them. The best I have had from the Unplugged Series, and one of the most interesting I have had this year. With the sour nature of this brew, I wonder if it would age well. I guess time will tell with the three remaining bottles I have. Cheers (1,086 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear chestnut color with a two finger head that leaves shards of lacing

Smell: Toasted brown bread with a hint of smoke and a growing balsamic vinegar aspect

Taste: It doesn't take long for the sour balsamic vinegar flavors to make their presence known - a hint of chocolate and brown bread and off we go in the sour direction, with a tart cherry element appearing as well by mid-palate; after the swallow, the tartness fades a little bit, with the chocolate and smoke elements increasing as a counterpoint, though the finish is still a bit puckery

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation and a puckery character

Drinkability: I have tasted this a few times and always enjoyed it but never got around to reviewing it until now; just love the creativity of this brew, even if it is a harkening back to a style that was brewed in the 1800s (871 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

This is officially my least favorite style at this point, or possibly second next to mead. I really need to visit more styles to explore the whole spectrum and stop drinking only styles I like. Rating from memory, poured a chestnut brown with a large fizzy head. Nose is sweet malt, heavy vanilla, vinegar. Strangely sour in the mouth...what happened to this? The label boasts "wine like acidity", so apparently it's intentional to some extent. I tried to approach it as a sour ale, but that was no better, as the sweetness was overbearing. Really thin and over carbonated. I hate this style, maybe the three examples I'm basing on were all infected, but it will be awhile before I go down this road again. (706 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been sitting on this bottle going back to my first ever trade. This beer is a tasty extra thrown in by a very generous BA, akorsak. Cheers Adam!

Appearance: The beer is a dark, cola-like brown with a very small bit of tan colored head. What little head there is fades pretty quickly, leaving behind only a thin foamy ring around the beer. Swirling the beer in the glass, the beer leaves behind some small bits of sticky, soapy lacing.

Smell: Despite the age of this brew, the hints of malty sweetness and chocolaty goodness are still pretty prevalent. There's also a slight sour twinge in the nose. At first it seems a bit out of place, but after a minute or so it starts to really come together nicely with the other characteristics.

Taste: Whoah, sour. Not over the top, Russian River's finest kind of sour...but for a porter it's pretty sour. The chocolate takes a bit of a back seat, and instead of the sour complementing the sweet it's the other way around. I'll admit, if I would have tried this brew in my BA infancy, I probably would not have enjoyed it. However, as I've come to really love sours I find myself really enjoying this beer.

Mouthfeel: It has more body than I thought it would, carbonation is good, and the texture is spot on. This beer pretty much nails it here.

Drinkability: Gotta give this one top marks in this category. A tasty mix of sweet and sour with a great presence on the palate. Part of me wishes I tried this sooner, but the other part is glad I waited. Both parts are pissed that this is my only bottle. If you can still get this, definitely try it. (1,597 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Poured into a pint glass. One finger of soda-pop-like head dissipated quickly. Color is a thin, transparent brown, with a ruby/caramel tint. Next to no lacing.

S: Balsamic vinegar. I get no hops on the nose at all, which is pretty true to style, methinks. The sourness dominates, with some toasty undertones.

T: The taste is less sour than the nose would suggest, but Balsamic vinegar is still how i'd describe it. Good tang, but not overpowering, and backed up by some lingering roasted malt in the finish.

M: Thin, with low carbonation. For an old, soured, barrel-aged beer, this is precisely what I expected. It has a nice fullness from the Maris Otter.

D: If you like sours--and this one packs a pretty potent punch in that regard--this is quite drinkable. It's not mind-blowingly complex, but it's good drinking. It might do well with a little more carbonation, but this is neither possible nor true to style. The acidity really hits you in the nose when you go to sip, but fortunately that fades as you work through to the finish to let the toasted oak barreling come through. Bottle claims some smoked malt--I only barely taste this. A good quaff, but perhaps a bit too unique for sessionability, this beer lives up to the rest of the Unplugged series. (1,270 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%

Oh..another hit from Dan Carey.

Review based on notes of 7/25/10 tasting:

A most interesting brew. The aroma is unique, but I'm unable to describe it. The color is a nice dark, but not opaque brown hue. There is a finger's worth of head that goes away quickly. The flavor is sour on the tongue but leaves behind a nice winey tail. (333 characters)

Bottle. I was really excited to find this at the New Glarus brewery last weekend. Pours a dark iced tea color with a light tan head. If you told me I was smelling a sour ale I would totally believe you. Woody, sour fruit notes abound in the nose. The initial taste slightly pouckers the mouth as the sour notes hit your tongue. From there this beer mellows out with a lingering woody, malty taste. Very slight smoke touch. Acidic. Light/medium mouthfeel. Would I consider this a Porter? Hell no, by todays standards this would be in the sour category and it probably should be classified there. Just a really fun beer that I really enjoy. (638 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Huge thanks to beerwolf77 for this one!

(A)- Pours a dark brown hue that produced a light off-white head that dissipated quickly.

(S)- A deep and rich roasted profile with a mountain of a creamy nuttiness combined with a dash of vanilla bitters. A tad dry with bits of bark.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Starts out with a crisp sour funk bite. Flows into the nutty roasted creaminess with touches of dark fruits. Finishes dry and sour too.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. An interesting and unique combo of sour funk and dry malts lightly roasted. Dynamic, with a good acidity and sweetness too. Rather crisp as well.

(D)- A very unique and interesting brew; especially with the age on this. Fits the style well and packs a good bite that reminds me of a lambic our wild ale. Well done New Glarus as always. (864 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

Big thanks to Hophead101 for this bottle!

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beers BIF. Here goes: It pours a clear garnet (brown without light) topped by a nice finger o' bright foam. Whoa! The nose holds a good amount of sour, possibly brett. Behind that, a mixture of caramel and blackly toasted biscuit. Something akin to smoked ham lingers in the back. I did not see this coming. The sour fun continues on the tongue, a bit fruitier than before: sour grapes, sour oranges, sour green apples, sour berries. Mix 'em all up, like the initial bite after downing half a roll of ShockTarts. Some mild toffee rests peacefully in the back, but doesn't do much else. Face it, it's sour town. The body is kind of a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a dry finish. When I pulled the concealing wrapping away and discovered this was a porter, I was floored. I'd never heard of a sour porter before, but it was pretty tasty, definitely new. This is the kind of beer a blind tasting was designed for. (1,047 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

From 7/9/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasting.

a - Pours a brown color with a reddish tint.

s - Smells of fruit malts, and a bit sweet. Also some roasted malts.

t - Tastes the same as the nose; fruity and roasted malts and sugar, with some rye and a sour funk to it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A nice porter, with some funky sourness to the taste. Glad I got to try this one. (393 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

Procured at the (insert astounding superlative here) New Glarus brewery. That place is the 9th wonder of the world.

A - Nice translucent mahogany-brown, voluminous off-white head, leaving lots of lace.

S - The sourness is tangible but seems subdued and fairly unique (or at least unusual) in its application. The brew seems lighter than an average Porter, but the sourness imparts a richness that is usually provided by robustly roasted malts; as such it is very successful.

T - This is a fantastic take on the style (Sour Porter), and a hugely successful departure from the average approach. It is full of roasty, nutty, and earthy flavors, and has a tremendous rustic charm. The sourness is appreciated as a coffee-like sharp acidity (which is not to say that it is tremendously acidic) that combines with the lighter body (for style) to produce a brew that is quite robust and hearty in flavor, but less weighty than it should be otherwise. Again, I must say this is a very successful approach at the style. It is one of the best and most impressive beers I have had from New Glarus.

M - Lighter-bodied, but very full flavored.

D - Ridiculously good. One of the most drinkable Porters I've had. (1,202 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

split 12 oz in 2 6 oz tasters with newk340
a- deep dark red brown. fairly clear. superfine 1/8 inch off white foam.

s- nutty, malty, and an acidity while staying sweet

t- acidic and sour. very tart yet also creamy to an extent. nutty and malty after. maybe i'm starting to like the sour taste afterall?

m- tart and still creamy. very nice acidity that isn't too intense.

d- i dig it. a good starter sour. dan, you did it again. he just doesn't disappoint with the unplugged series. (485 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +8.7%

A: a dark bergundy with a thin head and continuous carbonation.

S: an aged wine, nearly sour enough to have a hint of vinegar.

T: a quickly dissipating tartness, hints of oak and bitter malts round out each sip.

MF/D: surprisingly smooth for the amount of visible carbonation, gives off a tender warmth as it slides down the throat following the taste. gives a pleasing tingling sensation in the nostrils following each sip. (427 characters)

Unplugged Old English Porter from New Glarus Brewing Company