Cabin Fever - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: wheatyweiss on 01-15-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cabin Fever Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I've heard some not so great reviews on this one, so I wasn't expecting much. New Glarus has a strong reputation and I was surprised to hear they may have messed one up... they didn't. This beer was great.

Served via bottle into New Glarus pint glass.

A = Nice and golden color, clear and a perfect head.
S = Sweet honey and bock... mmmm.
T = Bock with a hint of honey. Great with McNuggets and great in a bock... who would have guessed?
M = Like a bock should be.
D = Glad I tried it and will try again.

Full disclosure time; I had a touch of cold left over and I probably shouldn't have been reviewing, but I couldn't resist. Poured a Spotted Cow after this beer and it tasted normal, but wanted to give full disclosure on this one. (737 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Copperish and brassy. Nice white head rose to about two fingers with and aggressive pour and settled nicely into a white ring and some solid lacing. Hazy beer with good carbonation.

Smell - Not much to go on here. Light faint toasted grains and a bit of a sweet smell.

Taste - Light at first with a bit of a sweet note right out of the gate but then a nice bit of hop character settles in and provides a very nice balance. This is a beer that as you're swallowing a drink you're preparing to have another.

Mouthfeel - Solid carbonation and solid presence for a very smooth and easy drinking beer. I know because of it's style this beer will catch up to you. But it really tastes and drinks like you could hammer down 12 - 15 of them.

Overall - Another wonderful beer from New Glarus. I have very limited access to these beers and each time I'm able to get one it's worth the wait! (900 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My sister did a bunch of criss cross trips across the US from Massachusnuts to Washingtone and everything between last week (no, she's a doctor, not a truck driver, she just had some wierd plans). In Wisconsin she stopped and bought me two obscure (to me) beers. One broke in the garage when she got here (alcohol abuse). The other was this. And it is a pleasant surprise. The call it Honey Bock and also Lager on the label. I think these are descriptive titles. It's clean, mild and extremely well balanced.

I would call it a very interesting lager. Flavorful and refreshing. Maybe I have to start checking out obscure WI breweries. I had a bad experience with obscure IN breweries, good experience with obscure NY breweries. I will need to pay attention to the cheese heads. (777 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I really don't know how better it could look. Pale yellow with golen hews. Streaming carbonation, 2 finger head. Wonderful.

Smell: Per the name, big dose of honey up front. Floral notes, Not much of a hop profile. Clean. Very approachable.

Taste: A wonderful taste. Very approachable and clean. Grains and malt with floral notes and a nice clean honey aspect. A little resin of past prime hops. Aftertaste is a sweet with a little bit of discombobulated grains.

Mouthfeeel: Light and clean. The viscosity matches the taste profile perfectly. The carbonation is there, wonderful.

Overall: This is a fantastic beer. I know most people will try to rate this lower because it's a shelf beer, but if I am honest, this beer is world class for the style and nearly overall. It's not rare, it's not BA and I didn't need to wake up at 4am to get this, but this beer is fan-freaking-tastic. (896 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

New Glarus Cabin Fever has a thin-to-medium white head, a deep gold, slightly hazy, bubbly appearance, and very little lacing left behind. The aroma is of mild, subdued malts, and a touch of honey. Taste is of those elements, but the honey and hop bitterness really present themselves in the taste. Mouthfeel is medium, and New Glarus Cabin Fever finishes crisp and refreshing.

RJT (383 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle with no date. served in a pint glass over spring break.

Light color, fizzy bone-white head. Smell is some spice (clove), honey, and sweet grain. Taste is malty and sweet like honeycomb, yet light and refreshing enough to session. Very hebal and aromatic. (267 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours golden yellow with a pillowy white head.

Nose is grainy with some honey notes.

Right away the mouthfeel is super smooth. Medium bodied to full with a very nice lager malt character. Plenty of grainy goodness and a nice finish of sweetness. Some light caramel notes and a noble hop bitterness that hits on the low side. Just an overall nice bock beer.

I was very pleased with this and could easily put back a few before noticing any alcohol notes. Well hidden and just a delicious helles bock. (501 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear orange body with two fingers of frothy, creamy tan head. Good retention, spotty lace. Attractive.

S: Very delicate, fruity, and balanced. Lightly sweet, grainy malt works well with some spicy hops, and there's definitely a touch of honey tying everything together with some floral sweetness. Nice.

T: Malt dominates up front, with clean, pure pale malt graininess being the main attraction. Some honey sweetness backs it up, and a touch of hops bitterness joins with the faintest hint of dry lager yeast to close things out cleanly. Delicious lager.

M: Fairly light body, moderately soft carbonation. Pleasant.

O: I'm surprised it took me this long to get around to trying this one, but then again I'm rarely in WI during the winters these days. As it is, I was excited to see a couple of these left over from a mix-pack. I don't know what surprises me more - the beer's low overall score on here, or the fact that it's a winter seasonal. On the first count, I thought it was a tasty, clean, and flavorful beer, with the only real complaint against it being that it's a bit too sweet for the style; on the second, I thought that it's lightness and sweetness fit better for the spring or even summer than the winter. Anyhow, I really enjoyed this beer, although I'd certainly recommend the Back 40 over it any day.

Cheers! (1,368 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +19%

As with any new New Glarus beer, I am always excited to see what kind of creation Dan has created. While I always love a good bock, maibocks are generally not one of my favorites, but as Uff-da by New Glarus sparked my interest in bocks, I figure that Cabin Fever may do the same thing with maibocks.

This beer pours a beautiful golden hew with a decent head--just as a lager should. Based on its appearance it looks like a perfect lager. Honestly, it looks like the perfect beer for a warm summer day, thus, its name Cabin Fever may be perfect--even if it is not the perfect time of year to enjoy the brew.

Cabin Fever does not have a striking smell, but then many lagers do not. It just smells like a good, clean lager in which the hops stay far in the background.

This beer tastes like a very good lager. Clean, crisp, with just a hint of European hops. It is not too sweet, not to bitter, and in other words, it tastes like a solid lager. Honestly, after a few too many hop bombs, imperial stouts, and barleywines over the fall and winter, I have to say that the flavor of Cabin Fever is a nice change of pace.

This beer is very drinkable. In fact, many of my friends that are not generally into craft beer just love this brew. I can easily sit down with a six pack and a guitar, and play, sing, and drink the day or night away. This beer is an excellent choice to start to get friends that generally do not like good beer into trying to drink some good beers.

While this beer is not perfect, it is another solid offering from New Glarus. While a touch more hops may have pushed the beer to top notch status, the beer is excellent for what it is--a refreshing, drinkable lager that is suitable for nearly all palates (other than those that are only tuned to Imperials of this and that). (1,796 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I like this one. Good taste.

It has a white head and a golden, pale, straw body.

Smells like honey and hops.

The first thing I taste is honey, followed by hops.

Medium mouthfeel, light carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

Overall, refreshing, sweet and tastey. (262 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +16.1%

Pleasant little bock. Poured a nice light brown. Not a lot of head on it, and what was there was a bright white that quickly disappeared. I really enjoyed this beer. I like to try out most of New Glarus's beers as I see them and sadly I've only gotten to rate a couple of them so far. I only live an hour from the brewery, so this is a poor showing on my part. This beer had a clean finish and was quite refreshing. I could easily drink it for a session. Its a bit on the sweet side, but it seemed just right for me. I'll definitely be drinking it again in the near future. (573 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a slightly richer than pale golden color with a big fluffy white semi loose head that tightens up and becomes fluffy and beautiful and leaves some good lace on the glass. The initial aroma reminds me of the boiling beer on the stovetop when you make bratwurst, not a bad smell at all just not one you usually get from beer prior to bringing it to a boil. This gives way to a the dominant aroma which is bready baguette. All of this is accented with some nice but light floral notes. I really like the way this smells, it's aromatic but simple, it's subtle and clean but has some very definitive characteristics none the less. The flavor is also very clean and has some nice finesse The thing that catches me right away is that the beer is dry, far more dry than the typical product that advertises honey as a definitive ingredient to the beer. The flavor that the honey imparts is not likely sweetness as the bit of that that's in here seems to be covered pretty well by the malt as opposed to any adjunct. There is some spiciness and richness that reminds me a little bit of good honey, but I will admit that if it didn't say honey on the bottle it is not very likely that I would have picked on on much honey flavor. Which is of course ironic because honey flavor seems to be a very definitive characteristic to many pale/heller/mai bock beers. Beyond this whole honey bit there is a nicely subtle hop zing mainly in the herbal vein. The bready maltiness is just slightly toasty and there is just a slight hint of cereal in there as well. This is a damn well balanced & wonderfully crafted lager, the likes of which are some of the most exciting beers that New Glarus makes. The palate is just lightly sharp and the beer is fabulously easy to drink, as evidenced by the fact that as I write this I am finishing the bottle, as opposed to the Barley Wines I have this many notes for after about two oz. I would happily drink pint after pint of this beer. (1,960 characters)

light amber, golden in color with a light bit of haze to it. Off white head, maybe an inch and a half creeps up the sides and sits down on top for a while.

Light caramel, bready notes are highlighted here. Sweet with a light undertone of some herbal hops peeking though. A light touch of dark fruit perhaps? Possibly but a sweet, caramel malty lager type aroma is what is predominant here. toffee, hints of buttery like notes persisting now as it comes up in temperature. Fades smoothly, leaving a creamy and sweet flavor on the tongue that snaps back with a nice hop bite at the finish. Nice carbonation never lets it get too heavy or over zealous in any way. Lends itself to being a very nice and quite drinkable

Overall very drinkable, in fact really could not get enough of this one. It's a style I see far too little of as of late, and would relish the chance to touch base with it again. (897 characters)

Reviewed on 7-31-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured with 1 finger of foam, good lacing ring present, lots of carbonation with a lighter orange color

S - Orange peel, caramel malts, some honey blended with al slight hop nose

T/M - Lighter bodied, smooth flavor, not crisp at all. Roasted malt and caramel taste

D - The first time I had this brew I didn't care for it but the second time I had it had changed my mind. Maybe it was the first bottle but this brew didn't turn out to bad. It is a pretty easy drinker. I will have this brew again! (563 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottle dated 0110

A: Pours a crystal clear, Motts apple juice gold with about a finger and a half of creamy, bright-white head. Retention was good and a lot of sticky lace was left behind. Carbonation was pretty active.

S: Interesting mix of herbal noble hops, toasted grains, and a hint of lemon. When it comes up to temp there is a definite aroma of honey.

T: Pretty much just as above except that the honey is there from the first sip. Finish is all toasted grain, honey, and a touch of floral hops.

M: Pretty full bodied and smooth with a nice dose of Lager crispness.

D: Exceedingly refreshing! We really enjoyed the subtleties of the natural honey throughout this. (766 characters)

pours a nice golden tan color with a great fresh head and sticky lacing till the end it looks good and fresh with a pure white ring..the smell is malts and fresh baked bread followed by some floral hops a pleasant springlike clover smell..the taste is malts first and in a good way followed by the floral hops it finishes crisp and clean and a little sweet..its highly drinkable,,very flavorful ..another fine bock from NG that is well balanced with malts and hops and honey nothing overwhelms in this one...recommended (519 characters)

Pours a light golden color, very clear, with one finger of pure white head that recedes rather quickly, leaving some nice lacing.

Smells of sweet light caramel malts, honey, and gentle floral hops, with some good lager yeast aroma. Quite nice - soft, rounded, and well-balanced.

The flavor is, similarly, soft and balanced. That's not to say it's weak or missing - there's plenty there. It's just subtle. Starts out slightly sweet, followed by a touch of bitterness, and a smooth finish dominated by light malts (caramel and grain). The flavor is very rounded; there are no sharp edges, and the transitions between flavors are smooth.

Body is medium-light, with hefty carbonation. Refreshing, but not bubbly. I like it.

This is a very nice spring or fall beer. As I'm drinking it now, I'm thinking about all the light, summery lagers I'll be drinking in the next few months, and how this forms a bridge to them from the porters, stouts, and barleywines of winter. But I could just as easily see it as a last hurrah before settling in for the winter (we midwesterners know about such things). A very good slightly sweet bock. (1,128 characters)

Pours a golden color-ever so light touch of amber.Head is fairly rich, creamy and holds long retention.
Smells biscuit, grassy, honey comes through in an interesting sour/sweet fashion.Slightly floral, good back of malt mixed with pepper, floral notes and grass.
Flavor is where the beer shines.Spicy carbonation upfront leads to floral grassy flavors, hay, biscuit, then a really nice touch of sour/sweet musty honey. A creamy almost wheatlike creamy. Much more going on in here than the standard Helles Bock..which tends to be one-dimensional malt bombs .
Mouthfeel is great.Spicy, sweet, slightly sour all cut by a light touch of alcohol heat.
A beer I could see being refreshing and nice hot or cold outside. (712 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Very light orange, bordering on a dark yellow color. Minor to moderate amount of off-white head. Slightly hazy, completely translucent, and no visible sediment.

S: Smells almost exactly like honey wheat bread or honey nut cheerios. Very appetizing for the style. Yeast, sweet malts, and almost no hops in the scent.

T: Very mild flavor - malt centric, but not syrupy or overly sweet. Honey, honey wheat bread, honey roasted peanuts, taffy, and hints of butterscotch.

M: Higher density and thicker mouthfeel than I had anticipated, especially given the appearance. Very nicely done. Adequate but not quite average level of carbonation.

O: Quite enjoyable, especially for the style. Not sure why it doesn't have a better average on BA - I'm guessing some of the reviewers don't understand or appreciate the Maibock / Helles bock style? (844 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

I love getting to review a beer in it's infancy. Poured into my pint glass the beer is a crystal clear golden yellow. The white head bursts to full three fingers then slowly recedes leaving just a smattering of lace.

The aroma is full of sweet malt, honey, fresh bread and I swear it has a hint of grape hubba bubba. Light hops along with spice and a hint of corn.

The flavor is super smooth and pleasant. Light sweet malt, honey drizzled toast, mild hops, and just a touch of spice. This usually isn't my style but I really like the taste.

Light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Dry in the finish.

Overall a super drinkable beer. Not thay this is a surprise considering the source. Keep'em coming NG. (728 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a 12 once bottle into an imperial pint.

Pours a medium straw to light honey, nicely sized off white head is soapy and clingy. Carbonation rises quickly through the beer with perfect clarity.

Aroma is pale malt and floral sweetness. Clover and floral hops in the middle. Floral notes hint at noble hops. Clean aroma with a pronounced malt in the foreground.

Flavor opens up with a big malt shout. Malt is not the usual pils malt flavor, but is more substantial, more body and a bit chewier, but not heavy by any means. Middle shows a hint of hop, not pulling out the varietal but there is just enough floral hop to let you know they are there. I would love a touch more, but this is within style. Floral hops and clover honey bring on the finish. Finishes crisp and a little sweeter than most helles bocks I've had.

Mouthfeel is medium to light. Carbonation is aggressive and cuts the honey sweetness enough to balance. There is a bit of substance to the malt that makes for a nice place to anchor all that carbonation.

Drinkability is high. The beer is crisp and not heavy by any means, but full of flavor. ABV is at 6.0% so this would be a nifty little session bock.

Overall a very tasty beer that is very drinkable and has a decent amount of flavor and body. The only downfall is the sweetness and low hop flavor. I am accustomed to a bit more in a maibock, but a good beer all the same. Sadly, this is not the stunner I was expecting to replace Hop Hearty, but it will do for now until I run out. (1,519 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fairly sweet, honey aroma to it. Inoffensive. Smells like many lagers except a bit sweeter.

The taste is certainly smooth, if not perhaps particularly interesting. A good gateway beer for sure. Has a sweet, honey initial taste to it....not overbearing, not too malty....but pleasant. A good amount of graininess in the middle. Finishes fairly clean with minimal hops present....a bit grainy, nothing more.

All in all, it's a good quaffer. (441 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a FW tulip

bright golden color with a big inch and a half lasting white head. Smell is very malty and "crisp." The taste is more bitter than the nose would lead you to believe. bready and very malty. slightly bitter finish. Medium bodied with mild carbonation.

Overall a solid bock. very drinkable! (322 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +11.8%

Bottle given to me for no real reason by backfat-- one of the hairiest guys I've ever shared a bed with!

Served in a dimpled mug.
Very clear, light olden body. Two fingers of white head started strong, but faded fast.
Smells of toasted sweet malt with a little clean spicy hop note.
Very mild and subdued, and despite my belief that honey ferments all the way out, I seem to distinctly pick up some notes from it-- especially blending into the otherwise dry finish. Floral and spicy hops present with a nice touch of bitterness and an overall warming sensation in my throat.
Body is just about perfect; medium, little oily, and good carbonation.

Overall-- another solid take on a style by NG. There is a good reason why they are one of the largest breweries in the US-- they competently make good beer. (809 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +11.8%

Small white head tops a medium hazed golden colored brew. Scent is sweet lagered malts, maybe a touch of honey. Pretty bready taste, sweet malt, honey, light hop bitterness, touch of warming alcohol. Medium bodied with a bit of sharpness. Pretty nice brew (255 characters)

Cabin Fever from New Glarus Brewing Company