Cabin Fever - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: wheatyweiss on 01-15-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cabin Fever Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev -49.3%

I was hoping for something along the lines of the old Norski but this falls far short of that. Seems to be made for the masses...

For the style this lacks character, flavor, aroma, texture and body.

It has a mild sweet malt aroma...the taste is bland...the aftertaste is not enjoyable...the body is thin and watery...

I might take Spotted Cow over this...highly, highly dissapointed..I hate to see standout like Black Wheat go away and things like this replace it.

2.06/5  rDev -41.3%

I wasn't sure what style this was supposed to be when I ordered it. With a name like Cabin Fever and the time of year I was thinking Bock or Maibock.

My impression of it was that it was an average pale american lager. It has the same clear, golden color; thin head and bubbly, crisp, light mouth feel of a pale lager. It is midly hopped with some type of noble hops and also mildly malted.

As a Maibock it really doesn't work at all. To me a Maibock should be pretty assertive. The hops should have a good kick and the malt should be bold. I am not a great describer of flavors but bocks have a certain background flavor that I can only describe as "bocky" (maybe bready in a beer bread sort of way) and this beer doesn't have it.

2.2/5  rDev -37.3%

From notes on 1/25/14

Color of a typical lager. Big 2 inch fluffy head. Sweet bready aroma. Kind of a skunky taste. Don’t really case for this one.

2.45/5  rDev -30.2%

Appearance - Clear light gold. Tall fizzy white head. Beer itself is pretty fizzy.

Smell - Light sweet malt. Not picking up any hops.

Taste - Remarkably light. Not much to distinguish this from a light lager or a pilsiner. Light sweet malt and only the faintest hint of hops in the finish. A little alcoho and a little something else - the honey maybel. Nothing offensive, but quite light for style and not too interesting.

Mouthfeel - Light. Well carbonated.

Drinkability - I like most of the stuff produced by New Glarus, but this one's not particularly inspired. I might take it ahead of a Spotted Cow, but I wouldn't seek it out.

2.49/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours yellow with a white head with good retention and decent lacing. Smells and tastes like yeast, grain, honey, and wheat. Thin. watery, and bland taste. Decent carbonation and light bodied. Not much of an aftertaste. Not worth trying again.

2.51/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Straw yellow with little to no head despite a fairly aggressive pour.
S: Not much. A little bit of a light citrus and sweetness.
T: Light hop bitterness, but not really any of the pine or citrus from hops. Some grain and bread flavors. Maybe a bit of honey, but I might be tring to convince myself of this. Very mild flavors all around.
M: Mild carbonation and quite thin. Finishes clean.

O: This reminds me a lot of BMC stuff frankly. The flavors have a bit more going on than BMC for sure so I will give it that. This seems like a big summer session beer… sort of like BMC. I can't say I would ever buy this again.

Maybe I don't appreciate the style fully. But if this is a fair representation of it, then people need to stop knocking American Adjunct like it's a POS... cuz this beer really isn't a huge switch from those. It's cleaner all around which is the key difference I'd say.

2.6/5  rDev -25.9%

A-Golden transparent body with a minimally laced head.
S-Sweet, lightly malted, and simple.
T-Much like a simple macrobrewed lager.
M-Watery and light with a typical European bittered hop finish.
D-If it were 1/4th the price I would make it a daily drink.

I was dissappointed by this beer, so I will re-review it within a week to see if my true judgement was accurate.

UPDATE: 1/29/10 I distributed this beer to 3 of my beer loving/ judging friends and I've recieved back 2 dissappointing reviews, while the 3rd has yet to try the beer. If I were to review this in the summer months I might give it a solid C rating, but the release time on this one isn't feeling correct to me. I do love most of the NG beers and eagerly await new releases...

2.65/5  rDev -24.5%

Golden hued with a sizzling carbonation feeding its white head. It recedes with the haste of a macro lager and leaves no trace.
Sweet, honey aroma. Candy sugar and distinct corn notes (from where?) Vague caramel maltiness. Little actual depth, and a late rubber band chemical note.
The flavor profile is similarly shallow. A brisk grainy/bready note is engulfed by honey/sugar/corn(WTF?) sweetness. A light bit of florarity dots the finish. I expected this to be a reincarnation of the Norski...instead it's more of a homage to PBR.
Fizzy thin body that flatlines and grows a bit heavier over time.
I'll give this another go sometime, hoping that, right now, either it's off or I am. My present opinion is that it's the worst thing New Glarus has even released.

2.67/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz bottle.

It pours adeep gold with a fizzy white head that doesnt leave much lacing as it recedes.

It has a classic smell, yes they added honey but the smell is a good helles bock flavor with bready malts, a hint of caramel, some nuttiness and a touch of hops.There is a little bit of fruit in there too.

The flavor is a little bit weaker. The malt is buttery and biscuity and the hops don't really show themselves in the flavor like they should. They add flavor but aren't assertive, they do nothing to balance the sweetness. I generally like NG lagers but this one fails in the taste.

2.71/5  rDev -22.8%

Thanks to friend schmittymack for sharing this one with me at our mini (and unintentional) New Glarus fest 2 weeks back. This one poured a nice golden color with a tight white head. Very sweet on the nose, with lots of honey. On the palate, this one was thin bodied, sweet and dry, with flavors of honey and biscuit.

2.73/5  rDev -22.2%

From the tap poured into a "Bud Light" pint glass. No worries; it did not get much better.

A-small head dissapated quickly
clear, amber colork some lacing on the glass

S-fruity and soft

T-easy drinking with the sweetness of a maibock
No hops or bitterness
Very little energy

M-sweetness lingers like artificial sweetners

O-an easy drinker that little to move me
reminds me of every other maibock
At least it is not Bud Light.

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

This lager called a honey bock by the brewer provides a thick pillowy snow white head that clings to the clean pint glass eventually breaking down to a constant film. Completely clear and light golden.

Aromas of pilsener malt with just a hint of spicy European hops. Smells a lot like a typical American adjunct lager.

Taste is clean barley malt with a slight honey sweet finish. A little hop and carbonation tingle in this brew that has an overall soft mouthfeel. A vapory alcohol aroma, taste and finish is also detected.

Overall a simple beer that would fare better with a little more character (more spice, more malt taste or body) to carry the higher alcohol content. I like the kiss of sweetness and taste from the honey.

2.77/5  rDev -21.1%

Not very impressed by this beer. It was a very non-descript bock and if anything, it was a little too bitter for me. (and not in a good hoppy way but in a tough to drink way) I don't know if having off a tap made a difference as maybe the line was dirty or something but it wasn't until the very end that I got any hint of the honey or other sweet flavors that is supposedly in this beer. I have had it twice at a local establishment only because it is the best craft beer option available there and I don't mind supporting a local brewery. Even just with locally brewed bocks, though, I can think of a few that I would drink before this one.

2.83/5  rDev -19.4%

Reviewed from notes; originally 7/8/10.

A-Pours a light, clear goldenrod color with a quickly dissipating two finger head.

S- Smells of pale, grainy malt and maybe some grassy hops.

T-Grainy and malty upfront followed by a dry bitterness with a subtle sweetness(which as it warms I identify the sweetness as honey)

M-Light bodied with almost heavy carbonation; finishes smooth.

D-Not a bad beer, but not one I would probably pick up again. Glad to have tried it.

2.85/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a deep golden yellow with a bright white head that goes away quickly. Lots of carbonation with no lacing to speak of. Smell is sweet malts and honey with a touch of floral. Really not much to get excited about. It's a sweet beer with the honey and malts. Some grainy corn shows up. Very little hop bitterness. Pretty boring. I was expecting something with much more of a complex flavor. It doesn't have any bad or off flavors, but it doesn't anything great to offer either. They could call this a pale lager and make it a summer seasonal and not miss a beat. It's still ten degrees outside, I need something bigger.

2.91/5  rDev -17.1%

A friend brought this home for me from their recent trip to Wisconsin.

Appearance - A light golden color with slow rising bubbles. Bright white two finger widths head looks nice and pillowy. Retention and lacing are good, some stuff sticks around.

Aroma - Bready with some slight honey in the back. Some straw, light hay, and slight cherry.

Taste - Pretty uninteresting. A decent bready malt backbone, but I can't actually taste the honey and there's not much variety in the flavor profile. I might be getting a little bubble gum too. Still, it tastes decent enough.

Feels a little rough on the tongue. The carbonation level is about right, and the consistency is fine.

It doesn't drink as well as I would expect for the style. It's not a refreshing beer, and I don't know when I'd feel like drinking it again. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me for free, but I wouldn't buy it again or recommend it to any of my beer friends.

2.92/5  rDev -16.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a New Glarus weiss glass

Bottle dated 0110

The pour is a lively rise of a white head capping a crystal clear golden straw body that is just a hair darker than a normal American light lager. The bubbles are tiny and rise through out the whole beer. A minimal amount of lacing is present at the end of the glass.

The nose is very bland. There is a minimal amount of of floral hops that is then taken over by crisp pilsner malt smell. It is very reminiscent of an average pale lager.

All I pretty much taste is a full bodied bland American lager with a distinct corn taste which is befuddling me. At the end there is just a little bit of floral notes that could be from the hops or the honey used. That is really the only discernible positive character from the beer.

The carbonation is lively and high like an American lager and it drinks quickly and without any hesitation. This beer can easily be gulped in large quantities and is relatively refreshing for what it is.

I really had high expectation for this beer given the original description, but I feel it falls so short and disappoints. I see this beer as the winter version of 'Totally Naked' and a direct competitor to 'Honeyweiss'. This is the full bodied "winter"equivalent of that beer, and while I see it will please the people who this is targeted to, I find it a travesty that beers such as 'Uff-da bock', 'Black Wheat', 'Coffee Stout' and 'Hop Hearty' had to be shelved to make room for this. Why not just make 'Totally Naked' all year round? It feels like a brewery I know can make some of the best beers I have ever had, is now catering to the least common denominator in order to pay for the new brewery. I really hope the rest of the new beers being introduced this year are not a dumbed down version of styles BA's know New Glarus can hit a home run in if they wanted.

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz bottle, got from a random dude parked beside us at DLD. Thanks random guy!

Pours a very clear and bright yellow, some golden highlights, thin white head forms and settles down to a thin ring around the glass, a few lace chunks stick to the glass, looks alright.

Smell is nice, very clean and malty, light lager/pilsneresque, honey sweetness, a bit of floral, some grassy hoppiness, the honey character is pretty intense, a bit of toasty malt, oats, some caramel, alright.

Taste is very light and weak, a bit of sour maltiness, some honey, floral, a bit of grassiness, basically tastes like your standard macro lager.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, goes down easy but isn't very good.

2.99/5  rDev -14.8%

A great extra sent my way by JimboHD2005!

A- Pours a brilliantly clear golden yellow color. Thin smudges of white lacing remain from the finger of white, fizzy head that dissipates down to a thin crown.

S- Some detectable caramel malts, a bit of banana. That's about it. I was expecting more of a hop presence but was let down.

T- Again, no detectable hop presence. Still has the taste of malts and banana, but none of the flavors really come through very well.

M- Thin-medium mouthfeel with a bit of carbonation. Not bad, not great.

D- This beer wasn't offensive in any way, it just refused to have anything wow me. A good drinker, but I probably wouldn't try this again.

Holiday beers should add a bit of sparkle to the season. "Cabin Fever" suggests a big-bodied winter warmer, but this beer steers right down the middle of average lane. Nice malt with caramel notes, but overall seemed a bit thin. Some drying aspect toward the finish with moderate lingering bitterness.

A slightly cloudy yellow, with a smooth, long lasting head makes this a decently pretty beer.

Some apples to the aroma, but didn't pick up much in the flavor. More a general tartness and lingering honey-sweetness with some malt in the background.

On the lighter side of maibocks, in a quite enjoyable way.

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

I liked Back 40 so much I went and picked this one up right away. Yup I know this one is a Maibock and B40 is a bock but I like Dead Guy so I thought I would really like this one too. Nope don't really care for it much. I popped it open and quickly poured into a pint. It looked pretty good a golden yellow and a fair sized head. I leaned in and took a good sniff. Right away I thought oh no. It is sweet smelling with a cheap beer smell. The taste is a little better though still mainly a sweet bready taste with maybe a sleight hint of spice. Not much else. It has a thicker feel with a sticky finish that didn't work for me. I'm not really looking forward to finishing this six pack. If any of my opinions change on this beer I'll come back and ad them, but for now I just don't care for this beer.

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a clear light gold with a light white head, not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is very light, smells like a beer, with a little sweetness.

The taste is light, like an american lager with a hint of skunkness.

The feel is super light, but decent drinkability.

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Picked up a bottle of this from New Glarus on my way down to Dark Lord Day '10. This is one of the few New Glarus brews that I haven't tried yet. Drank from my Surly Fest stein.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear orange yellowish with a decent one finger bright white head. A tiny collar remains along with a super thin cap and zero lacing.
Smell- Slightly flowery and somewhat sweet as there is a definite honey presence. Malty with a tiny fleck of toasted grain mixed in and a definite maize smell. A touch of citrus hop mixes in as well.
Taste- Starts with a lightly sweet toast that is full of honey and that earthy sort of taste that honey leaves. Malty with more of a bready thing going on than any sort of toasted nuttiness. A bit of a floral hoppiness (perhaps a bit of the honey?) mixes with the malt but it's just too sweet.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with a light zip of carbonation and a bit of lingering sweetness.
Drinkability- Uggghhhh... Not New Glarus's best work. It's not horrible but the honey is too much and I don't get much of anything Bock in this. It was literally hard to put down a 12oz bottle. Tone down the sweetness a tad, maybe add of touch of nutty or roasted malt and we might have something.

3.05/5  rDev -13.1%

I had never heard of this one before so I enjoyed an opportunity to try a new beer with no pre-conceived notions. I didn't even know what the style would be.

It looked like a run-of-the-mill pilsner. Had no aroma whatsoever. Tasted slightly sweeter than a pils but had no hop profile at all.

I commented to my friend that, if tasted blind, it would be difficult to distinguish between this and an Old Style or Hamms.

Now that I see it is described as a "Pale Bock" I am still not impressed. The sweetness that was contributed by the honey is no different on the tongue than that of a corn that is frequently used in mass-produced cheap macro beer.

In summary, NG used more expensive ingredients and a more intensive brewing process but failed to produce anything that is better than a crappy macro.

Cabin Fever from New Glarus Brewing Company