Cabin Fever - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: wheatyweiss on 01-15-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 483 | Reviews: 163
1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

1.78/5  rDev -50%

I was hoping for something along the lines of the old Norski but this falls far short of that. Seems to be made for the masses...

For the style this lacks character, flavor, aroma, texture and body.

It has a mild sweet malt aroma...the taste is bland...the aftertaste is not enjoyable...the body is thin and watery...

I might take Spotted Cow over this...highly, highly dissapointed..I hate to see standout like Black Wheat go away and things like this replace it.

2.06/5  rDev -42.1%

I wasn't sure what style this was supposed to be when I ordered it. With a name like Cabin Fever and the time of year I was thinking Bock or Maibock.

My impression of it was that it was an average pale american lager. It has the same clear, golden color; thin head and bubbly, crisp, light mouth feel of a pale lager. It is midly hopped with some type of noble hops and also mildly malted.

As a Maibock it really doesn't work at all. To me a Maibock should be pretty assertive. The hops should have a good kick and the malt should be bold. I am not a great describer of flavors but bocks have a certain background flavor that I can only describe as "bocky" (maybe bready in a beer bread sort of way) and this beer doesn't have it.

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%

From notes on 1/25/14

Color of a typical lager. Big 2 inch fluffy head. Sweet bready aroma. Kind of a skunky taste. Don’t really case for this one.

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

2.45/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance - Clear light gold. Tall fizzy white head. Beer itself is pretty fizzy.

Smell - Light sweet malt. Not picking up any hops.

Taste - Remarkably light. Not much to distinguish this from a light lager or a pilsiner. Light sweet malt and only the faintest hint of hops in the finish. A little alcoho and a little something else - the honey maybel. Nothing offensive, but quite light for style and not too interesting.

Mouthfeel - Light. Well carbonated.

Drinkability - I like most of the stuff produced by New Glarus, but this one's not particularly inspired. I might take it ahead of a Spotted Cow, but I wouldn't seek it out.

2.49/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours yellow with a white head with good retention and decent lacing. Smells and tastes like yeast, grain, honey, and wheat. Thin. watery, and bland taste. Decent carbonation and light bodied. Not much of an aftertaste. Not worth trying again.

2.51/5  rDev -29.5%

A: Straw yellow with little to no head despite a fairly aggressive pour.
S: Not much. A little bit of a light citrus and sweetness.
T: Light hop bitterness, but not really any of the pine or citrus from hops. Some grain and bread flavors. Maybe a bit of honey, but I might be tring to convince myself of this. Very mild flavors all around.
M: Mild carbonation and quite thin. Finishes clean.

O: This reminds me a lot of BMC stuff frankly. The flavors have a bit more going on than BMC for sure so I will give it that. This seems like a big summer session beer… sort of like BMC. I can't say I would ever buy this again.

Maybe I don't appreciate the style fully. But if this is a fair representation of it, then people need to stop knocking American Adjunct like it's a POS... cuz this beer really isn't a huge switch from those. It's cleaner all around which is the key difference I'd say.

2.6/5  rDev -27%

A-Golden transparent body with a minimally laced head.
S-Sweet, lightly malted, and simple.
T-Much like a simple macrobrewed lager.
M-Watery and light with a typical European bittered hop finish.
D-If it were 1/4th the price I would make it a daily drink.

I was dissappointed by this beer, so I will re-review it within a week to see if my true judgement was accurate.

UPDATE: 1/29/10 I distributed this beer to 3 of my beer loving/ judging friends and I've recieved back 2 dissappointing reviews, while the 3rd has yet to try the beer. If I were to review this in the summer months I might give it a solid C rating, but the release time on this one isn't feeling correct to me. I do love most of the NG beers and eagerly await new releases...

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%

Golden hued with a sizzling carbonation feeding its white head. It recedes with the haste of a macro lager and leaves no trace.
Sweet, honey aroma. Candy sugar and distinct corn notes (from where?) Vague caramel maltiness. Little actual depth, and a late rubber band chemical note.
The flavor profile is similarly shallow. A brisk grainy/bready note is engulfed by honey/sugar/corn(WTF?) sweetness. A light bit of florarity dots the finish. I expected this to be a reincarnation of the Norski...instead it's more of a homage to PBR.
Fizzy thin body that flatlines and grows a bit heavier over time.
I'll give this another go sometime, hoping that, right now, either it's off or I am. My present opinion is that it's the worst thing New Glarus has even released.

2.67/5  rDev -25%

12 oz bottle.

It pours adeep gold with a fizzy white head that doesnt leave much lacing as it recedes.

It has a classic smell, yes they added honey but the smell is a good helles bock flavor with bready malts, a hint of caramel, some nuttiness and a touch of hops.There is a little bit of fruit in there too.

The flavor is a little bit weaker. The malt is buttery and biscuity and the hops don't really show themselves in the flavor like they should. They add flavor but aren't assertive, they do nothing to balance the sweetness. I generally like NG lagers but this one fails in the taste.

2.71/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to friend schmittymack for sharing this one with me at our mini (and unintentional) New Glarus fest 2 weeks back. This one poured a nice golden color with a tight white head. Very sweet on the nose, with lots of honey. On the palate, this one was thin bodied, sweet and dry, with flavors of honey and biscuit.

2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

From the tap poured into a "Bud Light" pint glass. No worries; it did not get much better.

A-small head dissapated quickly
clear, amber colork some lacing on the glass

S-fruity and soft

T-easy drinking with the sweetness of a maibock
No hops or bitterness
Very little energy

M-sweetness lingers like artificial sweetners

O-an easy drinker that little to move me
reminds me of every other maibock
At least it is not Bud Light.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

This lager called a honey bock by the brewer provides a thick pillowy snow white head that clings to the clean pint glass eventually breaking down to a constant film. Completely clear and light golden.

Aromas of pilsener malt with just a hint of spicy European hops. Smells a lot like a typical American adjunct lager.

Taste is clean barley malt with a slight honey sweet finish. A little hop and carbonation tingle in this brew that has an overall soft mouthfeel. A vapory alcohol aroma, taste and finish is also detected.

Overall a simple beer that would fare better with a little more character (more spice, more malt taste or body) to carry the higher alcohol content. I like the kiss of sweetness and taste from the honey.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cabin Fever from New Glarus Brewing Company