Cabin Fever - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wheatyweiss on 01-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cabin Fever Alström Bros
sjrodriguez

1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

08-14-2014 05:11:26 | More by sjrodriguez
ZAP

1.73/5  rDev -51.3%

I was hoping for something along the lines of the old Norski but this falls far short of that. Seems to be made for the masses...

For the style this lacks character, flavor, aroma, texture and body.

It has a mild sweet malt aroma...the taste is bland...the aftertaste is not enjoyable...the body is thin and watery...

I might take Spotted Cow over this...highly, highly dissapointed..I hate to see standout like Black Wheat go away and things like this replace it.

02-20-2010 05:19:43 | More by ZAP
Satan70

04-17-2012 02:55:39 | More by Satan70
lakeviewmike

2.05/5  rDev -42.3%

I wasn't sure what style this was supposed to be when I ordered it. With a name like Cabin Fever and the time of year I was thinking Bock or Maibock.

My impression of it was that it was an average pale american lager. It has the same clear, golden color; thin head and bubbly, crisp, light mouth feel of a pale lager. It is midly hopped with some type of noble hops and also mildly malted.

As a Maibock it really doesn't work at all. To me a Maibock should be pretty assertive. The hops should have a good kick and the malt should be bold. I am not a great describer of flavors but bocks have a certain background flavor that I can only describe as "bocky" (maybe bready in a beer bread sort of way) and this beer doesn't have it.

04-04-2011 18:45:56 | More by lakeviewmike
CityofBals

2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

09-12-2013 18:53:41 | More by CityofBals
hardy008

2.46/5  rDev -30.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours yellow with a white head with good retention and decent lacing. Smells and tastes like yeast, grain, honey, and wheat. Thin. watery, and bland taste. Decent carbonation and light bodied. Not much of an aftertaste. Not worth trying again.

01-10-2013 01:03:23 | More by hardy008
scaliasux

2.48/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance - Clear light gold. Tall fizzy white head. Beer itself is pretty fizzy.

Smell - Light sweet malt. Not picking up any hops.

Taste - Remarkably light. Not much to distinguish this from a light lager or a pilsiner. Light sweet malt and only the faintest hint of hops in the finish. A little alcoho and a little something else - the honey maybel. Nothing offensive, but quite light for style and not too interesting.

Mouthfeel - Light. Well carbonated.

Drinkability - I like most of the stuff produced by New Glarus, but this one's not particularly inspired. I might take it ahead of a Spotted Cow, but I wouldn't seek it out.

02-10-2010 04:00:16 | More by scaliasux

03-30-2014 10:20:46 | More by Kyrojack
bpgpitt10

District of Columbia

2.53/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Straw yellow with little to no head despite a fairly aggressive pour.
S: Not much. A little bit of a light citrus and sweetness.
T: Light hop bitterness, but not really any of the pine or citrus from hops. Some grain and bread flavors. Maybe a bit of honey, but I might be tring to convince myself of this. Very mild flavors all around.
M: Mild carbonation and quite thin. Finishes clean.

O: This reminds me a lot of BMC stuff frankly. The flavors have a bit more going on than BMC for sure so I will give it that. This seems like a big summer session beer… sort of like BMC. I can't say I would ever buy this again.

Maybe I don't appreciate the style fully. But if this is a fair representation of it, then people need to stop knocking American Adjunct like it's a POS... cuz this beer really isn't a huge switch from those. It's cleaner all around which is the key difference I'd say.

02-18-2012 01:11:32 | More by bpgpitt10
crossovert

2.55/5  rDev -28.2%

12 oz bottle.

It pours adeep gold with a fizzy white head that doesnt leave much lacing as it recedes.

It has a classic smell, yes they added honey but the smell is a good helles bock flavor with bready malts, a hint of caramel, some nuttiness and a touch of hops.There is a little bit of fruit in there too.

The flavor is a little bit weaker. The malt is buttery and biscuity and the hops don't really show themselves in the flavor like they should. They add flavor but aren't assertive, they do nothing to balance the sweetness. I generally like NG lagers but this one fails in the taste.

02-12-2011 04:52:19 | More by crossovert
RJUGA03

2.55/5  rDev -28.2%

A-Golden transparent body with a minimally laced head.
S-Sweet, lightly malted, and simple.
T-Much like a simple macrobrewed lager.
M-Watery and light with a typical European bittered hop finish.
D-If it were 1/4th the price I would make it a daily drink.

I was dissappointed by this beer, so I will re-review it within a week to see if my true judgement was accurate.

UPDATE: 1/29/10 I distributed this beer to 3 of my beer loving/ judging friends and I've recieved back 2 dissappointing reviews, while the 3rd has yet to try the beer. If I were to review this in the summer months I might give it a solid C rating, but the release time on this one isn't feeling correct to me. I do love most of the NG beers and eagerly await new releases...

01-22-2010 00:07:03 | More by RJUGA03
cokes

2.63/5  rDev -25.9%

Golden hued with a sizzling carbonation feeding its white head. It recedes with the haste of a macro lager and leaves no trace.
Sweet, honey aroma. Candy sugar and distinct corn notes (from where?) Vague caramel maltiness. Little actual depth, and a late rubber band chemical note.
The flavor profile is similarly shallow. A brisk grainy/bready note is engulfed by honey/sugar/corn(WTF?) sweetness. A light bit of florarity dots the finish. I expected this to be a reincarnation of the Norski...instead it's more of a homage to PBR.
Fizzy thin body that flatlines and grows a bit heavier over time.
I'll give this another go sometime, hoping that, right now, either it's off or I am. My present opinion is that it's the worst thing New Glarus has even released.

01-22-2010 09:56:12 | More by cokes
emmasdad

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to friend schmittymack for sharing this one with me at our mini (and unintentional) New Glarus fest 2 weeks back. This one poured a nice golden color with a tight white head. Very sweet on the nose, with lots of honey. On the palate, this one was thin bodied, sweet and dry, with flavors of honey and biscuit.

06-25-2011 22:52:39 | More by emmasdad
ratatat

2.73/5  rDev -23.1%

From the tap poured into a "Bud Light" pint glass. No worries; it did not get much better.

A-small head dissapated quickly
clear, amber colork some lacing on the glass

S-fruity and soft

T-easy drinking with the sweetness of a maibock
No hops or bitterness
Very little energy

M-sweetness lingers like artificial sweetners

O-an easy drinker that little to move me
reminds me of every other maibock
At least it is not Bud Light.

04-22-2011 00:02:34 | More by ratatat

Joefisherman

06-24-2012 14:53:20 | More by Joefisherman
mjpolzin

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

Not very impressed by this beer. It was a very non-descript bock and if anything, it was a little too bitter for me. (and not in a good hoppy way but in a tough to drink way) I don't know if having off a tap made a difference as maybe the line was dirty or something but it wasn't until the very end that I got any hint of the honey or other sweet flavors that is supposedly in this beer. I have had it twice at a local establishment only because it is the best craft beer option available there and I don't mind supporting a local brewery. Even just with locally brewed bocks, though, I can think of a few that I would drink before this one.

04-23-2011 03:37:45 | More by mjpolzin

SouthSider14

02-24-2014 19:44:40 | More by SouthSider14
deebo

2.76/5  rDev -22.3%

This lager called a honey bock by the brewer provides a thick pillowy snow white head that clings to the clean pint glass eventually breaking down to a constant film. Completely clear and light golden.

Aromas of pilsener malt with just a hint of spicy European hops. Smells a lot like a typical American adjunct lager.

Taste is clean barley malt with a slight honey sweet finish. A little hop and carbonation tingle in this brew that has an overall soft mouthfeel. A vapory alcohol aroma, taste and finish is also detected.

Overall a simple beer that would fare better with a little more character (more spice, more malt taste or body) to carry the higher alcohol content. I like the kiss of sweetness and taste from the honey.

02-10-2013 19:45:00 | More by deebo