Follow our progress ...

YOUR RATING = None |

Moon ManMoon Man

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

You hold a session beer with a bright bold blend of five hops that flirt obligingly with the smooth malty backside. Don't let this one lay around it is brewed to be enjoyed today. Bold and engaging without pretense, because in Wisconsin you do not have to be extreme to be real.

Added by Skidz on 03-12-2010

Reviews: 498 | Ratings: 2,433
Reviews by Skidz:
4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours out light yellow and sits a shimmering gold in the glass with a small, frothy white head. Fades to a light skim with good lacings around the glass.

Bright flowery hops hit the nostrils on first whiff. Hints of tangerine, orange, nectarine, goldenrod, and kiwi float by. Hard to pick up any malts in this rather fruity and flowery bouquet.

Light citrus notes on the palate, with a mild hops presence. There are flavors of orange zest, lemon, and a bit of light pine off in the distant background. Malts are, again, at a minimum, perhaps water-cracker would be the closest comparison--very subdued.

Crisp, spring-clean mouthfeel with mild hops bitterness. This is definitely light and easy-going in the mouth, a true session beer.

I'm decently impressed. Not by any means a beer to be blown away by, but absolutely true to the style and solid beer at that. Just as they suggest, this is one to be consumed at its absolute freshest, and I'd say I've had the privilege of doing just that.

4.48/5  rDev +9%

A fantastic pale. Great aroma. Taste is very good, really nice hop profile. Light, drinkable, was definitely the best beer in their variety pack.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #39 (Apr 2010):

Sparkling golden color, a lovely head adorns the top. Ripe ruby red grapefruit, fresh-cut grass, wildflowers, nutty yeast and a little cracker in the nose. Dryish medium body that throws down its crispness on the palate right away. Clean, sharp bitterness from the hops cuts right through the dry maltiness, leaving citric and herbal flavors in its wake. Maltiness digs in deep with a uniform biscuity flavor and a somewhat faint, raw graininess. Vague fruitiness and a quick showing of nutty yeast add some complexities without getting in the way. The pulling dryness really does tell the palate that this beer is well attenuated.

Love the theme behind this beer: It's not about being from one coast or the other-- just about being a quality beer. Prime example of the American Pale Ale style, it's incredibly drinkable.

This is one of my favorite beers. The mixture of hops are refreshing with a slight fruity flavor. Whether it's a hot summer day or a chilly autumn one, this beer is perfect.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

12 Fl Oz Bottle
Bottled on November 5th, 2014
Reviewed on January 19th, 2015
Served in a pint glass

Eyes
Slightly hazy golden body. Good sized foamy white head collapsed and left a decent amount of soapy lacing throughout.

Nose
Grapefruit up front. Floral notes also lived in the hops. Not much from the malts besides subtle notes of nutty grains.

Mouth
Citric hops hit the tongue first. Grapefruit blended with herbal flavours to create a vibrant, yet contained hop flavour. A mild biscuity malt backbone served as a great platform for the hops to be showcased on. Light body, leaning toward the medium side. Moderate/high carbonation.

Overall
Excellent pale ale. Plenty of flavour. Would be perfect on a warm day!

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

While I prefer the amazing fruit beers by New Glarus this is a pretty damn good pale ale. Smooth, citrusy and just the right amount of carbonation. Had to trade for this one, but if it was available locally I would buy often

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

cloudy yellow, foamy white head. A little whiffs of cidre. Some hops, very balanced. Somewhat tart in taste. Dry finish. Refreshing mouthfeel. Not very sticky or oily. Somewhat champagny

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I sometimes wonder why I bother to write these reviews when the labels describe the beer with more artistry than I ever could. Take for example this from my beer du jour, Moon Man No Coast Pale Ale by New Glarus Brewing Company: “Moon Man is a seriously cool cat. Always comfortable in his own skin, he never tries too hard…You hold a session beer with a bright bold blend of five hops that flirt obligingly with the smooth malty backside. Because in Wisconsin, you do not have to be extreme to be real, just be.” It’s incredible to realize that the culture and philosophy of an entire state can be contained in a 12 ounce beer bottle. But hey, this is Wisconsin we’re talking about.
I’ve been looking forward to this one, having had some of this a couple of weeks ago while on a camping trip. I delay gratification in order to enhance the pleasure, reading the label in order to get to know my eventual conquest. Apparently, consumption of alcoholic beverages can impair my ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Fortunately, I have nowhere to go tonight and do not own a chain saw or punch press; I’m good to go. Good to go except for the fact that I don’t have a Damn bottle opener. Shit. I brought 2 with me camping--just to be safe--and returned home with exactly none. How does that happen? Stay cool, bro, there’s gotta be something here I can use. (Several moments later) Well, I’m going to have to buy my wife a new salad fork, that’s for sure.
My mind is drifting back now to that Homer Simpson bottle opener I was eyeing up a few months back at Big Lots. It was only a couple of bucks, and it uttered a Homer quote every time you used it, but somehow it didn’t quite fit my personality. I tend to avoid kitschy unless it is beyond the pale, like my Vanilla Ice beach towel. I curse my pretentiousness as I scour the kitchen for something that could be used to remove a cap from a bottle.
Hearing my movement, our guinea pig--ever the optimist--senses that I could be searching for the vegetable peeler in order to peel that bag of carrots that has been sitting in the refrigerator. He begins to emit a squeak guinea pigs are noted for (imagine trying to say the words “weak week” four octaves beyond what you are capable of). Of course, Charlie, being a young guinea pig, doesn’t quite have his squeak on yet. His young voice often breaks while trying to get my attention, but he is undeterred. Between squeaks, he grabs the bars of his cage with the pronounced front teeth that are typical of his breed, and begins to shake them mightily. An idea enters my head. I cautiously lift Charlie from his cage (I’ve never been too comfortable holding animals or children), and place him on the kitchen counter. I then grab a carrot from the bag in the refrigerator and grind some into the edge of the cap. I then wave the bottle in front of his nose--he takes the bait. His incisors now clasped firmly on the bottle cap, I grasp the bottle firmly with one hand while delivering a quick conk on his noggin with the other. Success! As a bonus, he even made a cute sound as he opened my beer, not unlike the Homer Simpson bottle opener previously mentioned.
And now it’s Miller time. I return Charlie to his cage, and as a reward for his good service, fill the bottle cap up with Moon Man for his enjoyment. He laps it up eagerly as I drink along with him. I decide that it is only fitting that he helps to review this beer with me. I ask him what he thinks, and he stares at me rather woozily, his mouth sporting a foam mustache. I cannot tell whether his condition is from the beer he just consumed or the bonk on the head he recently received, probably a combination of both. But after a time he finally manages to utter a rather hearty squeak. I can’t help but agree. Two big squeaks for Moon Man Ale.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into shaker pint. Golden body with a tall white head that leaves streaky lacing and hangs on stubbornly. Aroma is cracker malt, some grain, grapefruit zest, citrus juice, and grass. Taste is hop-forward bitterness featuring citrus zest, herbal bite, and grassy. A brief visit of grain on the swallow. Medium-light body, creamy texture, just less than average carbonation, dry hoppy finish.

Just a great example of an American Pale Ale. Perfect in every way.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

An exceptional Pale Ale with a great herbal and citrus hop character. The hops also have a bit of pine as well giving complex American hop flavors. There is strong hop bitterness and have very little malt making for a balance that is firmly bitter.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours with some sediment in the glass. The aroma packs a little bit of everything from florals to pine to fruity yeast. Juicy, citrusy hops. Very tasty and balanced on my tongue with just a touch of bitterness. I could see this being my new Sierra Pale if I lived in Wisconsin. Yummy.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into a New Glarus shaker pint glass

It pours a crystal clear apricot with a slightly off-white 2 fingered head. The head does fall to a nice layer of foam where it remains for almost the entire drink. Thick lacing coats the glass walls as tiny champagne bubbles rise constantly from the bottom of the glass. This beer is very effervescent, I'm not even drinking it out of an etched glass and a ton of carbonation bubbles are rising.

Pretty strong tangerine and floral hop aroma are hitting my nose balanced but just a little maltiness. The first bottle I had of this had a much stronger tangerine aroma to it but this one is a little more subdued. It's still very interesting and a great bright hoppiness to it.

The taste has a moderate amount of bitterness from an APA with a really bright and fruity floral hop taste. I love how much flavor is packed in to this lower gravity beer. There is some pale malt taste but not that much, just enough to cut through the bitterness a bit. A really nice easy on the palate APA.

The body is a little thin and the carbonation is high, but besides that this is a really nice beer that screams summer drinker and really shows how a hop forward beer can come in at 5%

3.78/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a hazy gold with a creamy white head.
Aroma is hop forward with plenty of citrus and tropical fruit goodness and a littler crackery malt below.
Taste is also hop forward but not overtly bitter. Lots of citrus as well as pineapple, maybe a hint of peach. Some crackery balance and a hint of spice.
Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation.
Tasty and easy drinking.

4.11/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Moon Man from New Glarus Brewing Company