Moon Man - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 03-12-2010

You hold a session beer with a bright bold blend of five hops that flirt obligingly with the smooth malty backside. Don't let this one lay around it is brewed to be enjoyed today. Bold and engaging without pretense, because in Wisconsin you do not have to be extreme to be real.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moon Man Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,188 | Reviews: 466

I consider Moon Man to be the benchmark of other Pale Ales. I have had on tap at the brewery and in the bottle -- always delicious! The citrus hops in this beer really shine. It has the perfect balance that keeps me going back for more.

This is one of my favorite beers. The mixture of hops are refreshing with a slight fruity flavor. Whether it's a hot summer day or a chilly autumn one, this beer is perfect.

Best Session IPA Ive ever had, hands down. I love New Glarus

Love the flavor and taste of this beer. One of my top three favorites

Pours a great clear gold. This is exactly what I imagine a APA looking like whenever I have one.

This is probably my favorite smelling beer, if not my favorite smell... Oranges, mango, pine and a good floral charachter.

Tastes as good as it smells. It starts with a small citrus precense, orange, lemon, mango and lime. Then the bitter pine bite comes through. A real nice malt backbone on it to, finishes with a bready malt, no real after taste just clean and delicious.

The mouthfeel is crisp and delicious. Carbonated and sharp. Perfect.

Well I know I am from WI so that gives me bias... But with that being said IPA/APA is my favorite style and I have had some of the big hitters, Alpha King, SNPA, Dales, Lagunitas Pale and many more. While those are all good and great beers to me none of them are as good as Moon Man.

This IMO is a perfect pale. I doubt I will ever have a better pale but I hope I can because it must taste insane.

I had this for the first time about six to eight months ago, ive been keeping beer notes since before then. I gave this a 10 outta 10 in my personal notes from when i first tried it and was looking forward to trying again.

the appearance and smell of this beer is great and couldn't smell better, hints of citrusy hops and a well balnaced pale reinforce this beer.

there is medium carbonation and great well balanced mouthfeel in this beer.

the taste is... well... indescribable. perfect balance when it comes to the hops, malts and wheat-barley. my go to pale ale is summits e.p.a. most pale ales are either not hoppy enough or too hoppy and should be classified as an i.p.a. this is PERFECT in every aspect not only as a pale ale but as a easy to drink - everyday - sessionable brew. AWESOME. if there is a better pale ale out there... SHOW ME! I LOVE THIS BEER, wish i didn't have to visit my inlaws to get it, also wish that i could get this in a 12 pack instead of just a six! sooo gooody goooosh good!!! (whatever that means?) buy it! try it! love it!

Just a great example of an American Pale Ale. Perfect in every way.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

I've had this beer about a million times in bottles and on tap, just now getting around to reviewing it. Appearance is golden with a decent white head. Smells of citrus, hops. Taste is a little hoppier than a lot of pale ales - and a lot tastier than a lot of pale ales. Citrus and pine, grassy freshness, malty too... just delicious. Mouthfeel is medium to light, refreshing. One of my favorite go-to beers, the moon man never lets me down.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Single 12oz bottle poured in to a pint glass. Imported to upstate NY by my father (thanks dad!!!). No date or code to note, but this sample tastes extremely fresh.

A: Deep solid yellow brew, clear as a bell, with a stable 1/2" of white foam.

S: Huge wonderful aroma, wow, a ton going on here. Backbone of dry light malt sweetness with a hint of caramel, tasty. Label says there are 5 different hops in here and that complexity is very tasty. Notable is (what I'm guessing is) a big fruity dose of Summit. Then there's spicy, herby, citrusy stuff going on, a big rich bouquet of hoppy goodness.

T: All the wonderful things from the smell translate perfectly to the taste. Awesome. I'm really floored by how great this is.

M: Just enough body to not be watery. Thin and smooth, good robust carbo is kept in check by the extra body.

D: This brew is phenomenal, no doubt the best pale ale I've ever had. This is exactly what I want in a pale ale. Very little room for improvement. Wow!

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a bottle into a 14oz. 'Bass' nonic. Perfect.

Very light. I'm talking lighter than a Bell's oberon with super clarity, though there is a fine layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle; a high flocculating strain that cleans up real nice! Head is moderate at first, 1 finger, and then subsides to a consistent thick lacing of white foam, like milk when boiled. Exceptional!

I'm sorry, so sorry, but this brew smells like some dank-ass marijuana. Not that I condone the use, but that is what it smells like; imagine standing in the midst of some pungent pine trees that happened to have sprung up in the middle of a fresh-cut field of grass. Oh, did I mention that the pine trees produce oranges? Yeah, that's the smell. To get more clinical, I'm experiencing some cascade and amarillo, west coast hops, with a light malt body, mostly pale with perhaps some munich or a mixture of vienna and the like. This brew smells like a Green Flash with half the alcohol/maltose. Exceptional!

Here is where the "No Coast" comes into play; this beer is flavored with the hops of a Green Flash or Gumball Head, but without the gravity of GF or the sweetness of GH. Light and refreshing, that Gumball head-type earthiness from dry-hopping (with amarillo?) hits your cheeks after a swig and then melts into a nice biscuit-floral flavor. Must be something like Vienna or light Munich or some combination because I don't taste any substantial amount of crystal or caramel in this brew. Maybe a little for subtlety, but nothing even close to 10%, possibly less than 5% or 6%. Perfect for a deep analysis or for a casual session. Exceptional!

Mputh is very light, though less carbonated than the macro brew or something like a farmhouse ale. Lightness adds to sessionability, but some more maltose, a very small amount, might balance this beer even futher, which would truly be the perfect brew. Nearly Exceptional!

What can I say... New Glarus has been my 'go too' brewery for the last several years. Living in Chicago, I only get out there twice a year, and seeing as they will not distribute to Chicago or anywhere besides Wisconsin, I may hype it up in y head throughout the seasons. However this particular brew has all the qualities of a Green Flash and gumballhead without being too heavv or too sweet. Another quality is that it is also similar to the Lagunitas IPA, one of the best beers ever created IMO, without the super-fruitiness that makes the LIPA tiresome after 6 months of loyal sessioning. I know '5's are extra special, but so is this brew. Jason, Todd, get on this one. This is truly one beer that belongs to no coasts yet all coasts can appreciate.

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

I can't imagine a better APA than this. Super drinkable and sessionable. Huge grassy, piney, and citrusy nose right out of the bottle. The taste is sublime. All the notes of your favorite DIPA dialed down into a sessionable format. The mouthfeel is very round and easy to drink again and again. It's got just enough malt sweetness to appeal to folks that avoid hoppy brews too. I could stock this for the entire summer and be happy.

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nice dark yellow. Wonderfully balanced floral and citrus hop smell. Unbelievable smooth, melon, grapefruit, malty backbone just a ever so faint hop bitterness. One of my favorite session APA's. A+

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%

this one kinda goes down like "alpha king light"...and i mean that in the best possible way. it's refreshing, it's tasty and assertive, and it just goes to show you that Dan Carrey knows what he's doing. I hope this example of quality is what we can continue to expect from New Glarus. No more Honey Bock please...!

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Let me set the stage for this review with a short story. I'm sitting on the couch like a huge beer geek looking at the beer with the sunlight behind it. After judging the appearance, I took one sip and without setting the glass down, I exclaimed to my wife "this is phenomenal". That's the word. I'm sure you'll agree.

It poured a light copper, apple juicy color. Nice medium-high carbonation. Great lacing, 1.5 finger head dissipated quickly but the top stayed nice and white.

This beer is easy on the nose. Citrusy, pine notes without being harsh. It also has hints of tropical fruits. Citrus, pine, perfectly ripe tropical fruits on the finish with a moderate malt backbone up front.

It was a little thin, and didn't keep much head, but it's a perfect summer APA. If I was able to, I'd buy this all the time. I'm a big fan of New Glarus and am surprised that I havent had this yet. I try to stay away from new IPA's and APA's because there are so many that it's easy to be disappointed. This will not disappoint.

4.79/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Cloudy with a nice amber hue.

Smell: Sweet smelling and floral.

Taste: Very crisp and hoppy, without being overpowering. Simply delightful.

Mouthfeel: Not highly carbonated, feels good on my tongue.

Overall: An extremely excellent pale ale, that I'd recommend to anyone who is looking for an APA and has access to Wisconsin. One of the best ones I've ever tried.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a bottle into a New Glarus Pint Glass. Huge white pillowy head, thinned down, leaving good lacing on the glass. Super citrussy smell, good sharp taste, good hops bite with a bit of malt backbone at the end. Good carbonation, good mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

I'm not usually a pale ale guy, and I got one bottle of this as part of a christmas present, I could see myself buying more. Good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Not sure how this beer can be improved. Slight haze in the pour, but I really don't care! This has amazing hop aroma and taste, without the insane hoppy bitterness that makes you think you need to scrape your tongue with a putty knife!

Another 98 for the folks at New Glarus! Glad I made the trip to cross the border!

4.75/5  rDev +15%

I have to say for a pale ale, this was outstanding. Great hop flavor without quite being in IPA territory. Good toasty malt balance with a west coast hop mentality. For advertising no coasts, I feel like Moon Man took the best of both coasts and put it all together into a great beer.

One of my favorite APAs:

A: Poured into a snifter. Nice creamy white head, left good lacing down the glass. Poured a nice golden orange color with some slight haze.

S: Hop forward beer with floral and citrus notes. Slight pungent earthiness too. Some bready malt aroma in there too.

T: Citrus is what I get the most. Oranges and tangerine, with some slight grapefruit too. Some nice malt flavors in the finish.

M: Body is fairly thin and dry. VERY easy drinking, I could drink these all day! Nice carb level to help the hops pop.

O: Like I said above, one of my favorite APAs. Its hop forward for sure, but there's just enough bready malt to keep it balanced and drinkable. Great beer!

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Nice smooth light IPA can drink a lot of this

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Moon Man by New Glarus is a great, flavorable, easy drinking pale ale with just the right amount of hops, but not too hoppy! If you are the type of person who likes a little more flavor and feel to your beer, but maybe don't care much for strong IPA's, give this NCPA (No Coast Pale Ale) a try, I think you will be pleasantly suprised! Another great beer from the best midwestern brewery in America, New Glarus. Just remember you can only buy New Glarus beers in Wisconsin, so stock up when your there (as I do) or have a friend grab some for you whebn passing through!

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great, great beer. Wish it was distributed outside of WI. 5 hops, flowery nose, grapefruit-forward taste, little acidity, pale with a nice golden hue. Larger size bubbles form a great white top. Tasteful and reserved labeling. No ABV indicated on bottle.

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%

First of all, if you're expecting a hop bomb, this is not it....

Poured into a drinking glass. Was a very hazy straw yellow, with fairly active carbonation and a fluffy white two finger head. I was actually a bit surprised at how light was the color of the beer. The aroma was extremely floral, not piny like most pale ales....almost like a bouquet of wildflowers, many differnt light flowery aromas mixed together...nice....initial taste was corn and grain followed by grass and a light hoppiness, not bitter or resiny, but very delicate. I was very surprised by the uniqueness of this beer, but it was done exceptionally well.

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%

I got this as part of a build your own 6 pack of New Glarus beers at a price of 6 for $10. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

This beer poured a clear, medium yellow color with a 2-finger white head that lasted several minutes. Tons of nice lacing all over the glass.

Smells like you're in a grapefruit grove.

This stuff is delicious! Superb balance between malts and hiops. Big citrusy grapefruit flavor with just a touch of pine bitterness. I'm also picking up a bit of pineapple. Sweet biscuity malt is the perfect compliment to the blend of 5 hops.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a light to medium body with high spritzy carbonation that makes this crisp and refreshing.

What a great session beer. Not a trace of alcohol in it. Next time I'm in Wisconsin I'll forget about the mix six and bring home a whole case of this stuff. It's that good.

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Okay.... So I want one more beer :-) Looking through the brews my Pops picked up at NG, this one intrigued me as a label-proclaimed hoppy pale ale.... and it said to drink it "today", who am I to argue?

Pours with a foamy white head that sticks around for a bit, and leaves great sheets of lacing... the brew is a polished gold... pretty... but ... ehhhh.

The label delivers on the nose... great fruit-bowl hoppiness... citrus and tropical... I was playing with both Meyer lemons and cantaloupe today... both make a mark in my interpretation of the aroma... descent enough malts play well.... pale malts are clean and show no sugar or caramel... I haven't tasted this one yet, but I am pretty damned impressed.

Hops show more citric.... lemon zest and some tangerine... bit of biscuity maltiness.. great hoppiness without any pithy bitterness.. finishes with a whole different sort of hops... sorta floral and perfumy... lingering and wonderful.. honey essence without the sweetness.. amazingly refreshing...

Body is where it should be... carbonation is on the lighter side ... seems bottled conditioned, but I don't think it is..

If New Glarus isn't the King of session beers, they should be... I buy Mirror Pond and Sierra Nevada all the time if I just want a standard low ABV pale ale.. but if I had this one available, Deschutes and SN would not be getting much disposable beer money.... Fantastic.. complex and begging for another sip..

No joke... I love this one.. my taster is not broken.. I want this one around all the time... I know it is "fresh"; but all session beers should be too, and this is abundantly better than any that has crossed my palate in a damn long time.

Much appreciation goes to my Dad on this one... I never would have searched it out... Now.. damn.. I may have to.... the Boise peeps are not going to believe me when I espouse my "Moon Man" love.

4/4.5/5/4/5