2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Moon Man - New Glarus Brewing Company

Moon ManMoon Man

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Skidz on 03-12-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moon Man Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,401 | Reviews: 411 | Show All Ratings:
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

Pours a great clear gold. This is exactly what I imagine a APA looking like whenever I have one.

This is probably my favorite smelling beer, if not my favorite smell... Oranges, mango, pine and a good floral charachter.

Tastes as good as it smells. It starts with a small citrus precense, orange, lemon, mango and lime. Then the bitter pine bite comes through. A real nice malt backbone on it to, finishes with a bready malt, no real after taste just clean and delicious.

The mouthfeel is crisp and delicious. Carbonated and sharp. Perfect.

Well I know I am from WI so that gives me bias... But with that being said IPA/APA is my favorite style and I have had some of the big hitters, Alpha King, SNPA, Dales, Lagunitas Pale and many more. While those are all good and great beers to me none of them are as good as Moon Man.

This IMO is a perfect pale. I doubt I will ever have a better pale but I hope I can because it must taste insane.

03-24-2012 18:57:05 | More by nickapalooza86
Beerlover

I had this for the first time about six to eight months ago, ive been keeping beer notes since before then. I gave this a 10 outta 10 in my personal notes from when i first tried it and was looking forward to trying again.

the appearance and smell of this beer is great and couldn't smell better, hints of citrusy hops and a well balnaced pale reinforce this beer.

there is medium carbonation and great well balanced mouthfeel in this beer.

the taste is... well... indescribable. perfect balance when it comes to the hops, malts and wheat-barley. my go to pale ale is summits e.p.a. most pale ales are either not hoppy enough or too hoppy and should be classified as an i.p.a. this is PERFECT in every aspect not only as a pale ale but as a easy to drink - everyday - sessionable brew. AWESOME. if there is a better pale ale out there... SHOW ME! I LOVE THIS BEER, wish i didn't have to visit my inlaws to get it, also wish that i could get this in a 12 pack instead of just a six! sooo gooody goooosh good!!! (whatever that means?) buy it! try it! love it!

11-20-2012 01:09:39 | More by Beerlover
scones

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

I've had this beer about a million times in bottles and on tap, just now getting around to reviewing it. Appearance is golden with a decent white head. Smells of citrus, hops. Taste is a little hoppier than a lot of pale ales - and a lot tastier than a lot of pale ales. Citrus and pine, grassy freshness, malty too... just delicious. Mouthfeel is medium to light, refreshing. One of my favorite go-to beers, the moon man never lets me down.

07-11-2011 16:31:03 | More by scones
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

4.93/5  rDev +20%

Single 12oz bottle poured in to a pint glass. Imported to upstate NY by my father (thanks dad!!!). No date or code to note, but this sample tastes extremely fresh.

A: Deep solid yellow brew, clear as a bell, with a stable 1/2" of white foam.

S: Huge wonderful aroma, wow, a ton going on here. Backbone of dry light malt sweetness with a hint of caramel, tasty. Label says there are 5 different hops in here and that complexity is very tasty. Notable is (what I'm guessing is) a big fruity dose of Summit. Then there's spicy, herby, citrusy stuff going on, a big rich bouquet of hoppy goodness.

T: All the wonderful things from the smell translate perfectly to the taste. Awesome. I'm really floored by how great this is.

M: Just enough body to not be watery. Thin and smooth, good robust carbo is kept in check by the extra body.

D: This brew is phenomenal, no doubt the best pale ale I've ever had. This is exactly what I want in a pale ale. Very little room for improvement. Wow!

02-08-2011 00:42:37 | More by BeerNinja007
tapman

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from a bottle into a 14oz. 'Bass' nonic. Perfect.

Very light. I'm talking lighter than a Bell's oberon with super clarity, though there is a fine layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle; a high flocculating strain that cleans up real nice! Head is moderate at first, 1 finger, and then subsides to a consistent thick lacing of white foam, like milk when boiled. Exceptional!

I'm sorry, so sorry, but this brew smells like some dank-ass marijuana. Not that I condone the use, but that is what it smells like; imagine standing in the midst of some pungent pine trees that happened to have sprung up in the middle of a fresh-cut field of grass. Oh, did I mention that the pine trees produce oranges? Yeah, that's the smell. To get more clinical, I'm experiencing some cascade and amarillo, west coast hops, with a light malt body, mostly pale with perhaps some munich or a mixture of vienna and the like. This brew smells like a Green Flash with half the alcohol/maltose. Exceptional!

Here is where the "No Coast" comes into play; this beer is flavored with the hops of a Green Flash or Gumball Head, but without the gravity of GF or the sweetness of GH. Light and refreshing, that Gumball head-type earthiness from dry-hopping (with amarillo?) hits your cheeks after a swig and then melts into a nice biscuit-floral flavor. Must be something like Vienna or light Munich or some combination because I don't taste any substantial amount of crystal or caramel in this brew. Maybe a little for subtlety, but nothing even close to 10%, possibly less than 5% or 6%. Perfect for a deep analysis or for a casual session. Exceptional!

Mputh is very light, though less carbonated than the macro brew or something like a farmhouse ale. Lightness adds to sessionability, but some more maltose, a very small amount, might balance this beer even futher, which would truly be the perfect brew. Nearly Exceptional!

What can I say... New Glarus has been my 'go too' brewery for the last several years. Living in Chicago, I only get out there twice a year, and seeing as they will not distribute to Chicago or anywhere besides Wisconsin, I may hype it up in y head throughout the seasons. However this particular brew has all the qualities of a Green Flash and gumballhead without being too heavv or too sweet. Another quality is that it is also similar to the Lagunitas IPA, one of the best beers ever created IMO, without the super-fruitiness that makes the LIPA tiresome after 6 months of loyal sessioning. I know '5's are extra special, but so is this brew. Jason, Todd, get on this one. This is truly one beer that belongs to no coasts yet all coasts can appreciate.

07-07-2010 01:59:15 | More by tapman
McCranky

4.85/5  rDev +18%

this one kinda goes down like "alpha king light"...and i mean that in the best possible way. it's refreshing, it's tasty and assertive, and it just goes to show you that Dan Carrey knows what he's doing. I hope this example of quality is what we can continue to expect from New Glarus. No more Honey Bock please...!

04-03-2010 06:32:53 | More by McCranky
KellyL

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Let me set the stage for this review with a short story. I'm sitting on the couch like a huge beer geek looking at the beer with the sunlight behind it. After judging the appearance, I took one sip and without setting the glass down, I exclaimed to my wife "this is phenomenal". That's the word. I'm sure you'll agree.

It poured a light copper, apple juicy color. Nice medium-high carbonation. Great lacing, 1.5 finger head dissipated quickly but the top stayed nice and white.

This beer is easy on the nose. Citrusy, pine notes without being harsh. It also has hints of tropical fruits. Citrus, pine, perfectly ripe tropical fruits on the finish with a moderate malt backbone up front.

It was a little thin, and didn't keep much head, but it's a perfect summer APA. If I was able to, I'd buy this all the time. I'm a big fan of New Glarus and am surprised that I havent had this yet. I try to stay away from new IPA's and APA's because there are so many that it's easy to be disappointed. This will not disappoint.

06-25-2012 00:09:31 | More by KellyL
matjack85

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

I got this as part of a build your own 6 pack of New Glarus beers at a price of 6 for $10. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

This beer poured a clear, medium yellow color with a 2-finger white head that lasted several minutes. Tons of nice lacing all over the glass.

Smells like you're in a grapefruit grove.

This stuff is delicious! Superb balance between malts and hiops. Big citrusy grapefruit flavor with just a touch of pine bitterness. I'm also picking up a bit of pineapple. Sweet biscuity malt is the perfect compliment to the blend of 5 hops.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a light to medium body with high spritzy carbonation that makes this crisp and refreshing.

What a great session beer. Not a trace of alcohol in it. Next time I'm in Wisconsin I'll forget about the mix six and bring home a whole case of this stuff. It's that good.

12-01-2011 12:10:37 | More by matjack85
okra

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Not sure how this beer can be improved. Slight haze in the pour, but I really don't care! This has amazing hop aroma and taste, without the insane hoppy bitterness that makes you think you need to scrape your tongue with a putty knife!

Another 98 for the folks at New Glarus! Glad I made the trip to cross the border!

04-23-2012 21:42:54 | More by okra
wiseguywood

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Cloudy with a nice amber hue.

Smell: Sweet smelling and floral.

Taste: Very crisp and hoppy, without being overpowering. Simply delightful.

Mouthfeel: Not highly carbonated, feels good on my tongue.

Overall: An extremely excellent pale ale, that I'd recommend to anyone who is looking for an APA and has access to Wisconsin. One of the best ones I've ever tried.

01-22-2014 01:03:59 | More by wiseguywood
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Okay.... So I want one more beer :-) Looking through the brews my Pops picked up at NG, this one intrigued me as a label-proclaimed hoppy pale ale.... and it said to drink it "today", who am I to argue?

Pours with a foamy white head that sticks around for a bit, and leaves great sheets of lacing... the brew is a polished gold... pretty... but ... ehhhh.

The label delivers on the nose... great fruit-bowl hoppiness... citrus and tropical... I was playing with both Meyer lemons and cantaloupe today... both make a mark in my interpretation of the aroma... descent enough malts play well.... pale malts are clean and show no sugar or caramel... I haven't tasted this one yet, but I am pretty damned impressed.

Hops show more citric.... lemon zest and some tangerine... bit of biscuity maltiness.. great hoppiness without any pithy bitterness.. finishes with a whole different sort of hops... sorta floral and perfumy... lingering and wonderful.. honey essence without the sweetness.. amazingly refreshing...

Body is where it should be... carbonation is on the lighter side ... seems bottled conditioned, but I don't think it is..

If New Glarus isn't the King of session beers, they should be... I buy Mirror Pond and Sierra Nevada all the time if I just want a standard low ABV pale ale.. but if I had this one available, Deschutes and SN would not be getting much disposable beer money.... Fantastic.. complex and begging for another sip..

No joke... I love this one.. my taster is not broken.. I want this one around all the time... I know it is "fresh"; but all session beers should be too, and this is abundantly better than any that has crossed my palate in a damn long time.

Much appreciation goes to my Dad on this one... I never would have searched it out... Now.. damn.. I may have to.... the Boise peeps are not going to believe me when I espouse my "Moon Man" love.

4/4.5/5/4/5

06-27-2010 08:55:48 | More by JohnGalt1
deadbody

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a bottle into a New Glarus Pint Glass. Huge white pillowy head, thinned down, leaving good lacing on the glass. Super citrussy smell, good sharp taste, good hops bite with a bit of malt backbone at the end. Good carbonation, good mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

I'm not usually a pale ale guy, and I got one bottle of this as part of a christmas present, I could see myself buying more. Good stuff.

12-30-2010 14:04:06 | More by deadbody
peterlada

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great, great beer. Wish it was distributed outside of WI. 5 hops, flowery nose, grapefruit-forward taste, little acidity, pale with a nice golden hue. Larger size bubbles form a great white top. Tasteful and reserved labeling. No ABV indicated on bottle.

07-07-2013 01:04:16 | More by peterlada
Atricapilla

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

First of all, if you're expecting a hop bomb, this is not it....

Poured into a drinking glass. Was a very hazy straw yellow, with fairly active carbonation and a fluffy white two finger head. I was actually a bit surprised at how light was the color of the beer. The aroma was extremely floral, not piny like most pale ales....almost like a bouquet of wildflowers, many differnt light flowery aromas mixed together...nice....initial taste was corn and grain followed by grass and a light hoppiness, not bitter or resiny, but very delicate. I was very surprised by the uniqueness of this beer, but it was done exceptionally well.

06-19-2010 19:54:41 | More by Atricapilla
beachscrat

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

okay here we go! moon man! 12 oz per 12 sample pack bottles.

appearance: golden crystal clear, good 1/2 inch foam with sticky-icky lace. sooo proper, sooo pressed up!

smell: citrus and biscuit malt. beautiful.

taste: solid orange and pale light toasted malt. sooo smooth, sooo tight! squeaky clean finish.

mouthfeel: clean, smooth, with a solid backbone. zero aftertaste.

drinkability: ultra clean, deceptively smooth.

overall: I am sitting here trying to figure out how to score this one lower than it is. this is a heavy hitter. tough to score less than exceptional. is this an American Pale Ale? perhaps not.
british american perhaps? not certain. kicks ass whatever the hell it is.

12-05-2010 03:46:58 | More by beachscrat
PeterOrlando92

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Light golden color with an inch head. It smells of hops and grapefruit. The hoppy taste from the five varieties they include is what does it for me. Not bitter at all, fresh bright and drinkable. Honestly one of my favorite New Glarus beers. An awesome example of an APA.

07-15-2012 18:54:12 | More by PeterOrlando92
jjanega08

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

A= The pour is actually almost perfect looking. A beautiful translucent light amber color with a nice thick two finger head that holds great retention and lacing.

S= Wonderful bright pine hops. Great grapefruit peel sort of smell in it as well. Good deep grainy malt sort of smell to it as well.

T= The taste is more balanced than the smell led me on to. There is great balalnce to this one. Good bright citrus hops to it not the bitter piney sort of hops. Theres a great malty background to it.

M= Nice medium carbonation and a nice body to it.

D= I was expecting a hop bomb with this one but then I remembered this is New Glarus and they not only do everything great but they do it to style. What I got here was a wonderfully fantastic pale ale. This isn't a lower alcohol IPA. It has wonderful balance and sort of reminds me why New Glarus is so amazing.

07-30-2010 03:44:07 | More by jjanega08
MNBeerGeek

4.66/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an incredibly drinkable beer. Pours a beautiful dark golden yellow with a huge amount of head the dissipates somewhat quickly. The lacing sticks very nicely to the glass. The smell is has a mild resiny, citrus hop note to it with plenty of malt. The taste and mouthfeel is fabulous. Light, well-carbonated, with great flavor, but not a "big" beer. Incredibly drinkable. Mild hops that are only barely bitter, citrusy, and a great mild malt backbone. The only problem I have with this beer is that I do not have more on this hot day.

08-18-2013 23:55:10 | More by MNBeerGeek
cpolking

Iowa

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer pours a dark golden in color with a half inch of head. The aroma is hoppy, with citrus and tall grass. The taste is massive, clean, refreshing hops, with citrus, cantaloupe, and mango. This is a delicious hoppy ale. One of the most interesting hop flavor profiles I have tried.

11-06-2010 00:38:18 | More by cpolking
BurgeoningBrewhead

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into becker pint glass; clear golden yellow with a huge fluffy rocky white head that leaves chunky lacing. Smell is light crisp bready malt, with lots of juicy citrus fruit hops, loads of floral scents as well. A delicious smelling pale ale. Taste is clean, crisp crackery malt with light citrusey hop flavors giving light bitterness to the nice clean, slightly dry finish. Mouthfeel is creamy-smooth, really fine carbonation. Awesome APA here, glad I got two more in the variety pack...

08-05-2013 03:10:31 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
brewdub17

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: A solid brass color best defines this brew. Beautiful clarity with a nice thin head. By looking at the beer you can sense its crispness.

Smell: A punch in the face of freshness. Citrus, floral and bitter notes combine to force a very pleasant awakening on your senses. Malty notes are found behind the great hop tones and complement nicely. I wish Glade would start making this scent in air fresheners.

Taste: Clean, crisp, robust. Simple but greatly satisfying. The freshness from the smell is found in the front and are followed by subtle malt characteristics. The hops combine with the dryness from the malts to exemplify the fresh, carbonated taste.

Mouthfeel: Covers all corners of the mouth nicely and leaves a refreshing aftertaste, almost with a minty persona.

Drinkability: A Great beer overall. Seems to be exactly the right amount of flavors and lack of poor ones to be considered the epitome of a very drinkable beer for the style.

10-13-2010 01:34:38 | More by brewdub17
amanofbeer

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

A. This beer is rather predictable in how it was clarified, as it was obviously filtered. This is perfectly acceptable, just a point i like to make for filtered beers. It is crystal clear, super fine bubbles, and has perfect lacing.

S. I was not knocked on my face by the smell, however pleasant it may have been. I like an aroma bomb, and this beer was not. It resembles pliny in this sense, but perhaps the lightweight version, skunky, citrusy, balanced, but not big enough.

T. Quite mild and enjoyable. The balance is perfect, and i wouldn't change a thing. Great chemistry, i don't even want to qualify it with depositors. Down scaled pliny.

M. I can still feel it minutes later. The hops reside into a wonderful glow only sustained by such a density of liquid. It is rather thick, and surprisingly present considering the abv.

O. Like i said, it resembles a down scaled pliny. I would be very interested to try some of new glarus' IPAs, as i think a stronger version of such a beer would rival pliny. That being said, given that this a pale ale and not am IPA, the only thing i wish it had more of is aroma, but perhaps this is due to style as well. Great beer overall, and i will be hoarding the few of these in my variety pack.

12-28-2011 06:35:29 | More by amanofbeer
mdwalsh

Iowa

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I really liked this beer. I had it with all sorts of food and on it's own, warmish and rather cold, and it just did great.

A: 3 finger golden white head, VERY pale golden body, almost clear. No haze, good active carbonation. The head has good texture but not great dexterity. (4.5/5)

S: Solid, but not overwhelming grapefruit. A little pale malt. Not overly complex, nothing distracting you from just drinking the beer and enjoying it. (4.5/5)

T: The taste is identical to the small. Very pleasing without being very complex. Something that if I want to sit and analyze it, I can, or I can just let it's smooth grapefruity goodness just slide on by in a general state of happiness (4.5/5)

M: Light and bubbly but not over carbed or watery. I feel I could have just one and be satisfied or have 3-4 and not feel to full or anything bad either. (4.5/5)

D: This is a perfect session beer for someone who drinks full flavored beer and a great beer to introduce Bud/Miller/Coors drinkers to beers with a little more flavor. It goes great with pizza, steak, cheese, whatever. (5/5)

03-25-2010 14:29:23 | More by mdwalsh
hopsbreath

Oregon

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Mad thanks to the ever generous zimmerbloke for hooking me up with a bottle of this in a recent box of some of Wisconsin's finest.

A: Crystal clarity has minute particles in suspension. Two fingers of white head diminishes to leave thick sheets of white lacing.

S: Green piney hops are dancing a jig here. A touch of sweet straw lends the minimal backbone needed to support those little green cones.

T: Grassy, grassy, lemon zest is the dominant pungent taste bud tickler. Oily and resiony punches do a great job of making this one of the most flavorful pale ales I've yet to taste.

M: Moderate carbonation, thin body, and a slick feel after the swallow all add up to a top performer.

D: Twelve ounces down the hatch no problem. If this was available in my corner of the world, it would always see rotation in my fridge!

01-12-2011 17:11:29 | More by hopsbreath
dfillius

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a pint glass. Can New Glarus do wrong?
A: Moderate to aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of fizzy tight off-white head with fair retention. Crystal clear straw gold liquid. More head, slightly darker SRM please.
S: Nice citrus, biscuit, restrained dankness, pine notes, some alcohol. M.C.! Mango, tangerine.
T: Bright citrus and herbal hop. Balanced malt. No alcohol presence/booziness. Clean tasting, Moderate bitterness to close out. Slight citrus rind, like lemon in water. Very pleasant and agreeable. Complete without being overpowering.
M: Bright, crisp, refreshing. Mellowly bitter - ESB or EPA biterness. A bit thin, but great for a session beer.
D: Eminently drinkable. An amazing session pale. I'd love another and a whole 6-pack (got as a gift in a sampler - thanks to John Hanlon!) update: I bought 6 when I was in WI last and they were fabulous. Will buy again.

02-20-2011 22:11:10 | More by dfillius