Two Women Lager - New Glarus Brewing Company

Two Women LagerTwo Women Lager

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

The collaboration of two Craft companies both led by women, New Glarus Brewing and Weyermann Malting, is unique. You hold the result “Two Women” a Classic Country Lager brewed with Weyermann’s floor malted Bohemian malt and Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. A tempting and graceful classic lager found…Only in Wisconsin!

(Beer added by: levifunk on 04-11-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Women Lager Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A) Darker than expected. A deeper amber. There was a decent head after the pour and some light lacing.

S) Toasty... Malty... A little sweetness... Touch of hops... MMM...

T) Much like the smell, and that I must say is quite delightful.

M) Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. This is very smooth and pleasing to the palate.

O) This is an excellent offering from New Glarus. I have scooped up several six packs, and have savored each bottle.

RoamingGnome, Jun 05, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Dark, golden color body. Very clear. Big head.
Smells grainy, sweet, a little bit of herbal and tea-like hops.
Taste is shaped by toasty, bready sweetness and a little bit of lemon-rind sweet/bitter note.
Mouthfeel has a nice light, dry feel. Super carbonated.
"Two Women" finds a way to be both full flavored and refreshing.

KBomb, Jun 03, 2011

12 oz poured into a pint glass
No surprise I liked this a lot. Subtle and very tasty.
Look is a deep golden with a nice finger of head that stays.
Smell is mainly a light toasty malt.
Taste is about the same with a little hint of grass and spice to finish.
Feel is a little thicker than I thought it would be. Almost a medium body to it.
Over all I think this is one of those beers that get better after you have 2 or more of them. Very good anytime beer

dbtoe, May 20, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a clear amber to deep gold. A solid pour forms a dense rocky head that leaves a significant amount of lace behind with each gulp. I say gulp because this is a very quaffable beer. The aroma is quite simple; fresh malt and maybe some grass hops. The taste reminds me quite a bit of Bohemian lager more than a German Pilsener, something perhaps like a Czechvar...but upon further reflection it is also reminds me of a Wurzburger Pils which I suppose is what the brewer is really trying to emulate. A touch of caramel malt, some toasted malt, some very fresh (almost worty) malt flavor is present here with a touch of bubblegum and mild graininess. Maybe I just worked extra hard today, this is very quaffable, with the right amount of hops to make me wish I picked up a case of this stuff.

marcobrau, May 12, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Just finished a Pabst and thought this would be a good time to review this craft lager.

Reminds me a little of Capital Bohemian Lager of years past but with a bit more of a somewhat lemon peel type of citrus hop presence. Malt appears to be pilsner type...the aroma gives off a bready/grainy scent and the taste follows suit.

I like this. Clearly much more impressive than the Pabst (which drank just fine I might add)....this has some complexity but is still easy drinking. I'd call the body medium to perhaps the light side of medium....

I've had this a couple times now and the first time I thought this was incredible...this time I'd say just good. I've been critical of NG dumbing down their beers in some cases but beers like this that are well made and sessionable will always have a place in my fridge...watered down crap like Back 40 and the Honey Bock will not.

ZAP, May 10, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

I cheer on this beer for its intent and historical awareness above all else.

A: Nice light brown to red in color. 1 finger of off-white head with minimal lacing.

S: Smelled of sweet malt and raisin.

T: Very smooth and easy drinking with a finish of light hop.

M: Gentle and very refreshing.

D: Could go back to back with this in a comfortable setting, contemplating the beauty, power and wonder of women.

BasementBer, May 09, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Relatively dark, golden bronze bodied with a healthy ivory dome that laces well even as it fades fairly fast.
The nose is greeted with a apple-tinged breadiness and pangs of spicy, grassy hops, augmented with a drop of lemon oil.
It begins through the mouth with a toasty breadiness that blossoms into a suggestion of crusty apple pie, emphasizing the crust more than the fruit, though traces of the latter appear. Brisk and lagered clean through the middle. Hops bring tempered grassy herbs, dried floral bitterness, and just a squirt of lemon.
Medium+ bodied with a carbonation that fades fairly quickly. It's by no means heavy or cloying, but it lacks a bit of crispness and drinkability for the style. It's a bit like Staghorn's skinnier little brother. And that's not a bad thing.

cokes, May 04, 2011
3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

this one has gone downhill significantly since the first few weeks ...

A: 4-4.5 A slightly ruddy amber. The first few of these I had ended up being drunk straight from the bottles in which they came, but I imagined an amber-colored brew only slightly lighter than it turned out to be. Off-white head leaves a film and some lace.

S: 4-4.5 Toasted malt, pale or pilsnery malt. That typical new glarus smell (shared with back 40 bock and several others), some think of overripe apples, but I think of a certain form of toasted malt. Yet here the aroma is in the most pleasant form I have come upon, not overdone and not accompanied by discordant smells (like Staghorn), just a nice bready smell and faint hops. Lots of malt in the nose for a pilsner, if that is really what this is intended to be. I have had this on several occasions now and would never have guessed pilsner. Could actually pass for an easy-going marzen. Some hops are in there but are quite subdued.

T: 4-4.5 Again, the emphasis is on the malt and a subtle bready yeast flavor. The hops lend a slight spice and just do enough to balance out the moderate sweetness. The finish is not what I would call refreshing, but I really like this beer. Despite being underwhelmed by it the first time, it has very quickly become a favorite in my house.

M: 4-4.5 Not light-bodied. Some may think so, but my first bottle, tossed back as a thirst-quencher, actually dissappointed me with its relatively ample viscosity. I'd put the body around medium, with fine ample carbonation. Had this back to back with SA noble pils, and at other times back to back with various german style lagers, and this was clearly the thickest of them all.

O: 4.5 The best of the NG lagers that I have had so far. Two 6-packs down, at least several more to buy when I see it again. This and back 40 are very drinkable and balanced, whereas such offerings as the honey bock (cabin fever) and the temperamental staghorn quickly wore out their welcomes.

update: just picked up another 6er and am still slightly amazed at how solid and sustainably welcoming this beer is. it isn't in your face; it's savor my malt if you have time, slug me down if you want, ignore me if your busy, mistreat me a little since i know you love me ... it's like two solid yet subtle beers in one. like having two hardworking yet subtly sexy women at your side.

of course, now that's not an r&d beer with the attendant exclusivity and whatnot, and given that it's an untrendy sort of lager, it will probably take a dip toward 3.7 land despite the base of NG hype. it deserves more. it--they--deserve to be appreciated, held, cared for ... loved. suddenly i have the urge to befriend two solid german women who know what's up.

brewmudgeon, May 04, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a light orange color very clear and transparent with active carbonation present however not too big of a clean white head. The aroma is soft and subtle of quality malt slightly roasted. There is not much more than a mild hint of citrus from hops. The taste is crisp and clean with a good malt body and a nice nutty after taste. No real hop presence to speak of. The carbonation is mild and the body is light to medium. This is a good sipping brew. I prefer the Czech pilsner myself, but this is a solid brew.

WJVII, May 04, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. I thought this was a re-review (I know I shared the R&D version a few months ago), but apparently I never uploaded notes.

Thanks to CaseyK for the beer!

A: Pours a reddish-orange body with gold highlights when held to the lamp. The head is off-white in color, though near the base it has a brown tint to it. It recedes quickly into a small film on the beer, with some lace climbing up the sides and leaving a thick collar around the rim.

S: Crackery pilsner malt, grain, and toast. A hint of lemon, which I'm guessing is a Noble hop variety. I also pick up that signature New Glarus smell -- it's a rustic aroma of overripe apples.

T: I like Trumer Pils and Victory Prima Pils for my pilsner fix, but both are hoppier (particularly the latter) than this one. Pilsner grain, crackers, toast, and, again, that overripe apple flavor in the finish. Hops impart a slight, earthy bitterness and flavors of grass and lemon. The approach is slightly different from what I normally like, but I'd be lying if I said this weren't tasty anyway.

M: Light-bodied. It's very flavorful, and the crisp carbonation cleans up nicely even as a small bitterness struggles to stay on the palate. I had this after a bike ride in the California heat, and this precisely hit the spot of what I wanted in a refreshing beverage.

O: I swear the previous recipe was slightly different, but I have no notes and no proof. Either way, this is fantastic, as Dan Carey's German styles always seem to be.

Arbitrator, May 03, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thank you WVJII.

A - Crisp reddish orange body that's clear and bubbly. The head is white and thin as it starts out at about a half inch but when it recedes it never quite goes away. Very nice.

S - The pristine aroma of fine malt.

T - This is how I believe a good pilsner should taste. Real mild sweet flavor of malt with no pressure from the hops. In my opinion the brewers at New Glarus nail it.

M - Smooth and moderately thick with the perfect amount of carbonation present allowing for the beer not to gain weight.

~ I'm fairly certain my review up to this point has been pretty self-explainatory. This is a very well crafted German Pilsner... for that matter its just a great beer.

cdkrenz, May 03, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Copper color with a bubbly head, light lacing. The smell is sweet, with a bit of citrus sourness. The taste is pleasant, sweet an malty, with a light citrus brightness. It has a decent hops bitterness in the end, which provides a nice crisp finish. The mouthfeel is crisp and fairly light.

Overall, this is what I want in an American Pils. It isn't watered down, it isn't too sweet, and it isn't boring. Good job, New Glarus.

deaconblues, Apr 30, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz. bottle courtesy of k2pantan. Served in my SA Noble Pils glass. Pours a translucent copper with a loose, one inch bright white head. Head eventually settles into a solid, quarter inch cap. Some lacing but no legs. Nose expresses noble hops and a grassy character. Taste consistent with nose; however, it's a bit more watery than I anticipated. There's also a trace of citric acid in the mix. Mouthfeel is light and lively with a slight acidity and a fairly clean finish. All and all a very drinkable, style consistent German Pils. Definitely one of the better domestic tributes to the style I've tried to date.

Jwale73, Apr 29, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into a willis glass.

Pours a hazy golden color with two fingers of stark white head. Head slowly drops leaving a nice layer of foam.

Aromas of grainy, toasted malt. Light earthy hop bitterness.

Flavors of toasted malt, light soda cracker, balancing hop bitterness, tends more toward the malt. Honey. Finish is crisp, with a snappy carbonic bite. Towards the end of the glass, as it warms, there is a distinct creamed corn flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium, good level of carbonation. Towards the end, there is an oily slickness to the mouthfeel. A little buttery?

Overall a very nice german pils. However, starts to fall apart toward the middle to end of the glass, as it warms up.

JamnesCameron, Apr 26, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

A: deep orange, light tan body, 2 finger up + down head, beautiful lacing

S: clean fresh malt, slight grainy hop aroma

T: sweet malt and grain up front, earthy firm finish

M: med/light body, dry finish

O: Delicious lager! Great to see a flavorful lager on the market. Great session and newbie brew. New Glarus is a fine craft brewery, ranging from solid to delicious. This is quite good.

GET THIS LAGER; GOOD TIMES!

BeerLover99, Apr 24, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a clear copper with a massive, fluffy white head. Long retention and light lacing with steady carbonation.

Aroma is mildly sweet with toasted malt and some light grassy hops.

Flavor is much less hoppy than expected, dominated by toasted malt. Caramel and bready with much lighter hops than the nose. On the sweeter side as expected, but overall a little one-dimensional and boring.

Soft, light body with medium carbonation. Very refreshing.

yourefragile, Apr 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Thanks Barrythebear for sending this one my way!

A - pours a little yellowish with a nice head that retains pretty well

S - smells of sweet grainy malt - pretty sweet for the grain smell

T - Starts off with a big grain bill that has a candy-ish flavor to. This fades to some nice grassy a spicy hops. Really solid profile. I feel like a lot of beers in this style can be overbearingly grainy, but this one hit a nice medium. Full of flavor, yet delicate at the same time.

M - nice full body with really smooth carbonation

D - I should have saved this guy for a hot day, but I thought it would go well with my salmon, which it did. New Glarus does another fine take on a lager with this one. I wish I could get their lighter beers down here for when the summer rolls around.

birchstick, Apr 23, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Light amber color, clear, bubbly, with a very light white head of about a finger. Dissipated to a little sticky film.

Aroma is slightly sweet, nutty, with a bit of caramel, lightly malty.

Taste is a little malty, caramel, and a bit of resiny hops in the back.

Feel is slightly slick, maybe even a hint oily, and creamy. Light bodied, and crisp.

Overall, a nice, pleasant, easy drinking pils.

EgadBananas, Apr 22, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +17%

12oz bottle, opened with some fanfare. I'm a huge fan of their Unplugged Bohemian Pilsner, so I had high hopes for the German Pilsner. And they were met.

Light golden color, clear, with a few fingers of thick foam. A very malt-forward aroma, bready and grainy, with light grassy hops. Very nice, this evokes memories of Germany and its wonderful brewpubs.

The grain and bready yeast character comes through strong in the taste, very smooth and a little sweet, just excellent. Some bitterness in the aftertaste, but it feels proper to me. Medium-medium plus body, full filling while still going down quickly. I loved this beer.

TurdFurgison, Apr 22, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

4/18/11 re-review from fresh 12oz. bottle

I'm not going to do a full review, just note the changes I noticed from the different bottlings.

The color appears to be a little darker, moving into the copper/gold stage, still a fluffy white long lasting head with tons of tiny carbonation drops.

The aroma is nearly devoid of any hop aroma, just a ton of toasted bread malt aroma coming off from this beer. Very sad to see the hops seemingly dialed back for this mass release.

The flavor is a balance between the toasted malt and some earthy medium bitterness hops. I'm glad to taste the hops in the flavor but I still feel like it is more restrained than the original.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are once again awesome. Crisp and clean with lots of bubbles.

Overall I am very disappointed in this release. Like many of the latest New Glarus lagers this one seems dumbed down and playing it safe. To me it tastes much closer to a slightly toasted Munich Helles or Vienna than a German Pils. I know in the almost year it has been since I had the original my palate, especially for lagers, has developed considerably. Still, even taking that into account I can't believe my original impression would be so drastically different without just cause.

New Glarus lagers can be mind blowing (Edel-Pils, Bohemian Lager) so it really disappoints me when I taste this new offering.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM 4/29/2010

A big thanks to Chris for picking this up for me on his way to DLD 2010. Opened during a tasting with Tony and Eric.

500 mL bottle poured into a tulip glass

It poured a crystal clear bright gold with a brilliant white head that lasted for a while. A low amount of lacing was present.

The aroma was heavily dominated by that great crisp pilsner malt smell with just a little of that grassy German noble hop smell.

Man this beer tastes like everything a well made lager should be. the taste of mildly sweet crisp pilsner malt is very present with just a touch of bitterness for balance. I'm still don't feel that I've had enough well made lagers to properly describe the tastes in any meaningful way but this one is great.

This beer is very light and effervescent on the tongue. It's extremely drinkable and really refreshing.

While this beer is relatively expensive, and would not be a regular purchase if it was available in stores, I completely understand the $5/bottle for a brewery only release in the same special expensive bottles used for R&D #1. I wish they would release a year round high quality lager like this or the unplugged bohemian lager at their normal 6-pack price.

Original 500mL bottle score 4/4/4.5/4.5/5

weatherdog, Apr 19, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

500mL bottle with no bottled on / freshness date, poured into Mauite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/16/11

A: Pours a beautiful golden color with a bit of haze and some particles floating around. Big fluffy white head leaves a bit of lacing around glass.

S: Crisp pale malt with some grassy hearbal hop notes as well. Smells fresh like warm bread straight out of the oven.

T: Tastes very light with a touch of sweet crackers up front from the malt, some honey and herbal hop flavors in the finish. Simple and good.

M: Light, crisp and very refreshing. Good carbonation and smooth, easy drinker.

O: I don't usually drink lagers but this one is pretty good. If this were on shelves here I would be buying this before the other lagers available here.

Azurescens, Apr 16, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

now available in 12oz bottles for the rest of 2011

A-pours a clear golden copper color with a small off-white head and some lacing

S- is sweet malts and baked bread and a floral light citrus hop

T- is a malt forward lager with sweet caramel and baked bread tastes then in the background are light hops ..imo hops are to light in this with the malts overpowering the lager

M-Bohemian malts play a huge role in the profile oh this lager along with hallertau hops..not crisp enough

O- a classic easy drinking german lager ..only comment i would like a little more noble hop taste to this one..but still quite tasty

gatornation, Apr 16, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance:Pours a very pleasing copper color with a pinkeys worth of head to it.

Smells metallic with malt notes.

reminds me of a less skunky Heineken. Malt forward and very easy to drink. Got the 6 pack on my way back home from Madison. I would recommend this to anyone that appreciates true to style beer.

mrbugawkagawk, Apr 15, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured clear dark amber into a pint glass. Nice white head that dissipates to a film with a thick ring. I get no commentable smell. There's something there but it's faint. Taste is malt, a little bitterness with a little honey at the finish. Clean crisp and easy to drink.

Kbogac, Apr 04, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a cloudy brownish golden color with a good amount of fluffy white head on it. Smells malty/grainy. Taste is nice and light. Good flavor on this beer, malty throughout. This is a very sessionable beer - I could definitely put down at least a 12 pack of these babies. Very good beer overall. Another quality product from New Glarus.

richkrull, Apr 03, 2011