R&D Gueuze - New Glarus Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  6.20% ABV

1,900 bottles
Brewed March 24, 2009
Bottled August 6, 2010

Brewed in the tradition of the Lambics of Belgium but using a blend of Ale Yeast, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Acetobacter. These microorganisms came from our culture collection as well as many collected by Dan around the wilds of Wisconsin! Fermented and aged in Oak. This beer spent the summer of 2009 aging outdoors in used oak barrels, then bottle fermented.

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 07-30-2010)

Photekut, Nov 17, 2011

Rochefort10nh, Nov 18, 2011

hu5om, Nov 14, 2011

smarcoly, Nov 15, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Presentment - One bottle, received as a gift. I like the old fashioned, hand-numbered bottle. This beer was available for only a very limited time, and I was very fortunate to get a bottle from a friend.

A - Cloudy. Presents nice in the old fashioned brown bottle.

S - Wonderful sour funk. Not as strong as the best Belgian geuzes, but very terrific by American standards. Just one whiff tells me it's a geuze.

T - My favorite thing about this beer was the taste. Sour without being overwhelming. Not as complicated as an authentic European geuze, but very close -- and way superior to almost all domestic American sour beers I've tasted. (Off the top of my head, only Russian River has better.)

M - Just a bit thinner than it should be. But otherwise goes down nice. This geuze (were it still available) would be an excellent choice for when I want a delicious sour beer just goes down quickly -- such as while watching football.

D - Overall, this is one of the best domestic american sours I've ever had. Everything about the experience was delightful. From the feel of the old fashioned bottle, to the sour funk, to the taste in my mouth, it was all perfect. I'm quite surprised that even a good brewer like New Glarus got this one so right on the first try. I hope they make it again, and perhaps consider adding it to their seasonal lineup.

electrojosh, Sep 28, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

bottle poured into snifter

a - very light golden color. white head. constant carbonation bubbles coming up. looks like champagne...absolutely beautiful.

s - big nose. got a hit of fruit when i opened the bottle. smell is very sour. lemon. a bit of grassy funk

t - wow, bigger sour flavor than expected. very dry as well. from the nose I was expecting sour, but that ripped my tongue a bit. citrus sour, with a subtle funk aftertaste.

m - big carbonation, and as mentioned, very dry.

overall - its NG, so its very drinkable. I'm regretting sharing this with my wife.

Its drinking amazing fresh, but definitely young. The funk flavors are there, but just babies, and should develop great. Also, I am very surprised how dry and sour this beer is fresh. This is going to be great to cellar and have with next year's batch.

levifunk, Aug 26, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

A - A deep yellow-gold color with thin but persistent lace-like white head (which starts off at a couple of fingers due to its surprisingly high level of carbonation).

S - Mostly lemongrass with a bit or brett. Quite a bit more mild than the horseblanket wallop I was expecting for a beer that bills itself as a gueze. Pleasant, but nothing truly stand-out

T - First hit with a wave of moderate lemon and and apple sourness, with hints of a brett funk. Finishes with a sweeter lemon-grass taste. It makes the sort of transition that Flemish reds attempt, but with far more grace. Delicious both as a sour and a non-sour.

M - Nice and crisp, with a good amount of carbonation. Almost feels like a soured cider.

D - I almost never buy the same beer twice. If I could get this locally and regularly, I would surely make an exception. I would however make sure to have it before getting to stronger sours, stouts, or hop bombs if it is part of a tasting line-up.

beerindex, Sep 24, 2010

Ek0nomik, May 11, 2012

theminutemen, May 14, 2012

robear, Sep 10, 2014

MCain04, Nov 08, 2013

denimdemon, Mar 24, 2012

monitorpop, Apr 30, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

First off, I have to recognize the ever generous zimmerbloke for hooking me up with this rarity from the mid-west. Thanks Matt. Shared the 16.9 ounce bottle with my wife. Poured into tulips.

Pour is pale gold with top notch clarity. There exists a nice two finger rocky snow white head that quickly recedes to a wisp ring around the glasses inside. No lacing exists but none was expected.
On the nose we have boat loads of vanilla, some raw wood, sour stone fruit, and lactic goodness. The promise of a great sour has been made!

This might just be the single most sour beer I've had to date! My skin literally prickled on my arms as I took my first sip! Goose bump causing sourness aside, a little peach, under-ripe grapes, and copious vanilla dance on the palate. A little graham cracker sweetness makes a cameo on the finish. Really, really, good flavors from top to bottom.

Spritzy, prickly carbonation help this finish clean and encourages another taste! This would be great with some spicy stir fry.

I love me some sour beers. The only qualm I have is that they are so highly drinkable, I always find my glass empty before I'm ready for it to be. This beer is no exception. Really fantastic brew. I've yet to find a New Glarus beer I don't thoroughly enjoy.

hopsbreath, Nov 07, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Huge thank you to hu5om for this!!!

A Cloudy yellow, 1 finger head that disappears rather quickly and leaves almost no tracing. what I expect from a geuze

S very lemony, with some slightly sour apples, just an overall very appealing and fresh sour/tart smell

T sour and lemony, very refreshing, with a slight sweetness.
very refreshing and simply delicious!

M/D I could drink these all night, just perfect all around. Good carbonation, body, taste

Notes: a deliciously balanced gueuze that makes me think NG can do no wrong, not just a great American Gueuze, but a great one all around

digita7693, Dec 20, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

500mL bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Bottled 08-06-10.

(A)- Pours a crystal clear golden orange hue that produced a good effervescent pure white head that has some great retention behind it.

(S)- A dry earthy barnyard floor front with a light floral aspect to it. A light tart apple fruit in the background. Bits of lemon sourness; subtle, but there.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A much stronger lactic sourness than the smell led me to believe, but welcomed! An earthy clay dryness of a funkiness that I enjoy. A light combo of a tart apple/lemon fruit zest at the end with an even bigger dryness. Pretty sour throughout, but restrained.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Rather sour, but has a great earthy funk to smooth it out. A nice tart fruit zest at the end. A great feel for the style.

(D)- New Glarus never fails. They seem to succeed in just about everything they make, and this is no different. A fantastic take on the style that is more fitting of its name than a Wild Ale in my opinion. This one rather impressed me. Crisp, and just the right amount of sour funk and light fruits. Nothing like some funk from the Midwest! Well-done yet again Dan. Can I buy a case? I look forward to seeing how this ages in the coming years.

sweemzander, Sep 10, 2010