Totally Naked - New Glarus Brewing Company

good

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.25% ABV

Pure and crisp this is a beer with nothing to hide. Wisconsin two-row barley malt ensures a mellow and smooth body. We imported Noble Hop varieties from Germany and the Czech Republic to ensure a fine mature aroma with no coarse bitterness.

(Beer added by: cokes on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Totally Naked Alström Bros
champ103

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%

I got a mixed twelve pack as a birthday present from my Aunt and her boyfriend. This is the first that I have opened.

A: Pours a perfectly clear macro like yellow color. A two finger white head forms, and leaves some lace behind.
S: The aroma is of toasted grains and cereal malt. A light grassy aroma. Though mostly macro like.
T: Follows the nose, but more of a sour, mineral flavor that reminds me even more of a macro lager. Grainy malt, and cereal again. Blah.
M/D: A light body that is thin and watery. Not hard to drink, but not something I am going to come back to.

Just to much like a macro lager to me. I get that this is suppose to be an easy to drink session, but pretty much like most macros. Maybe the first New Glarus that I just don't like.

10-02-2010 20:36:14 | More by champ103
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours out a crystal clear pale light golden with a decent head and lacing... Fairly average...

Toasted malts with some lemony citrus aromas and maybe a little yeast...

Very pronounced lemony zestiness along with the pale malts.. Seems more like a wheat beer actually to me... Nothing amazing but a decent enough brew...

A decent summertime brew but I'm guessing for the price I would reach for something else...

09-28-2010 17:18:37 | More by Tilley4
yeahnatenelson

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance -- Pours a clear pale straw with two fingers of fizzy white head. Lots of lace, minimal retention.

Smell -- Lots of pale malt. Lots. Also, faint noble hops. Not a whole lot going on, but clean.

Taste -- Totally Naked is apt. Clean pale malt, faint floral Noble hop flavor to balance the malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel -- Light in body with moderate bubbly carbonation. Got to hand it to NG for keeping the mouthfeel on point.

Drinkability -- Not especially exciting, but exceptional adherence to style. In a perfect world, this is what Budweiser would taste like. That said, I don't see more Totally Naked in my fridge's future.

09-21-2010 00:46:06 | More by yeahnatenelson
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to my bro for the awesome New Glarus package!

Pours a pale, slightly hazy, straw yellow. Thin white head on top. A few suds stay behind on the glass. Looks decent for a lager.

A good helping of noble hops and 2-row malt on the nose. Touch of citrus. Refreshing aroma.

The taste consists of fairly crisp malts, a touch of grain, hint of grapefruit and other citrus. Hops mostly in the aroma, but a slight amount of bitterness makes its way into the flavor. On the watery side.

Mouthfeel is composed of light malts with ample carbonation and decent crispness. Kind of watery, even for a lager. Could use a little more body.

Drinkability is good. This is a nice alternative to water, but there isn't much going on. Save this one for hot days only.

09-07-2010 21:42:26 | More by sisuspeed
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

New Glarus Totally Naked pours a clear light gold with a thin head that lingers. The aroma is light, grainy malt. The flavor is slightly sweet and malty, with more graininess. The finish is clean with some mild bitterness and a hint of herbal hops. Pretty good for the style, but pricey compared to it's competitors.

09-05-2010 03:32:49 | More by ericj551
brownbeer

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

Totally naked is a pale golden lager really with nothing to hide. Not too much going on aroma or taste wise but it is extremely smooth and clean. I think I could funnel about four of these at one time. Not flashy, just a good beer without adjuncts.

"Mow the yard and drink it."- Bob Franks

09-05-2010 01:48:57 | More by brownbeer
birchstick

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

A - pours a clear yellow with a nice one-finger head

S - smells of grainy malts and some faint grassy hops

T - taste follows the nose. This tastes similar to a pilsener with the grainy malts and light, spicy, grassy and somewhat citrusy hops. Nice balance, pretty straight forward beer.

M - watery thin without much carbonation

D - this is a pretty good lager. Very light drinking, but nothing too exciting going on. I would pick Moon Man over this if I had a choice.

09-03-2010 22:09:13 | More by birchstick
bevenson

4.43/5  rDev +21%

A - Pale yellow, crystal clear with a rocky white head. Belgian lace clings to the glass. Looks exactly like I'd expect a pale lager to look.

S - Lightly sweet Pils malt and corn aroma. Floral hop aroma. And no skunkiness! I can't remember the last time I smelled a pale lager without that skunky aroma. Very pleasant.

T - Very tasty. There's a richness to the malt that I wasn't expecting at all given the ABV. The grainy, sweet Pils malt flavor comes through nicely. It has a low hop bitterness that doesn't linger too long, but is bitter enough to counter the malt. Light floral and herbal hop flavor; I would prefer a touch more hop flavor.

M - Light bodied with strong carbonation and a very dry finish. Crisp and refreshing.

D - Excellent. A beer that goes to show that you don't need a high ABV beer loaded with hops to be flavorful. If I lived closer to Wisconsin, I would be drinking a lot of this beer every summer.

09-03-2010 00:48:07 | More by bevenson
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev +12%

I bought this at Woodman's in Janesville in mid 2010.

New Glarus Totally Naked basically takes the drinkabilty of Miller Lite on Tap and drastically increases the taste and quality. It's just like the description on the bottle says...lager with a mellow and smooth body.

This has to be one of the few micro-brews that you could drink a few bottles of. And not a bad price at $7 for a 6-pack.

08-24-2010 03:50:24 | More by Lemke10
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%

Having this at the New Glarus tasting. Poured with a fine, white, nice sized head that settled down quickly but left some all the way down and a little lace. Color is a crystal clear yellow. Aroma is bananas, bubble gum, malt, grass, grain. Flavor has great balance between bitter and sweet. Body and carbonation are perfect for the style. Finish goes from sweet to bitter and has medium length. Clean. Super easy drinking session beer.

08-21-2010 20:16:17 | More by drpimento
GuldenBoy

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Very impressed by the head. Gave it an aggressive pour expecting a typical macro-lager foam and was greeted by a lingering three-finger froth. Nice lacing. Color is a pale yellow and nothing to write home about.

S: A good deal of effort was required to generate any smell. Very faint smell of wheat.

T: Like the name suggests, the taste is completely stripped down. Very light and clean with a barely detectable wheat and corn dryness.

M: Light carbonation and a watery presence and finish.

D: Very easily consumed, almost brainlessly so. I appreciate that New Glarus is willing to attempt a style that is so synonymous with macro-swill and give it their own touch, but at the price they are asking and the lack of taste present in this beer Wisconsin has plenty of more reasonable choices.

08-20-2010 05:17:12 | More by GuldenBoy
TB2

4.5/5  rDev +23%

This is one of my favorite beers out there right now! I wish I could get it in 12 packs!

A. Fluffy head sits atop after pour, nice pale golden color. lots of lacing on glass as you drink it down. Just a few bubbles rise to the top as you enjoy.

S. It states on the bottle that the New Glarus Brewing Co. imports their hops from Germany and the Czech Republic BUT there is no "Euro-Hops" smell to it. ItJust a very light hoppy / grainy smell.

T. No biterness at all. tastes light and crisp kinda hasd tghe classic lager taste but a little on the lighter side than others.

M. Mouthfeel is great. Simple, crisp and refreshing with a nice aftertaste.

D. Very, Very drinkable. Awesome flavor for such a 'basic' or as they say "naked" beer.

Like I said, I wish I could get this beer in 12ers! Such a fun, refreshing brew! One of my Favs!!!

Bravo!

08-18-2010 18:40:20 | More by TB2
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle into pint glass.
A: A stark white head that sits nicely on a super clear, golden body. Lacing layers well.
S: An aroma that most BMCs wish they had, a note of real quality ingredients. A hint of grain and subtle malt.
T/M: A typical lager notes, those of corn and wheat, mostly sitting in the back set and not making presence known. Smooth and crisp mouthfeel.
D: A good drinkable taste, but not a NG product I would get again. I would recommend it to a non-craft beer drinker to try and turn them on. Well then I better get some to keep in the house. Nothing really to seek out here.

08-17-2010 23:28:30 | More by GDBEERMAN
hansgruber

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz. bottle picked up from the brewery...

Very clear pale yellow with nice foamy head that settles in. Nice lacing with ring of foam throughout.

Gentle noble hop aroma, and very slight bready/grainy malt aroma.

Nice clean balance between malt and hops. Slight bitterness and only a touch of sweetness.

Light semi-dry mouthfeel
Good easy drinker, good for the style.
A good alternative for your everyday macro beer drinker. Nice, clean, simple flavors make this a good overall beer.

08-17-2010 05:09:07 | More by hansgruber
rhodeska

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

This one was really nice color throughout, nice white frothy head.

Unfortunately, the taste and smell was just like any other light beer I've had. It had a bit of flavor, and a good bitter taste, but it just wasn't enough other flavor for me in the beer.

Really smooth and probably pretty drinkable when cold, but as it warmed, I could tell that the beer was fading. Really comparable to a Bud/Bud light for me. Just not what i was expecting I guess.

07-28-2010 00:29:01 | More by rhodeska
ktrillionaire

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

On-tap at the brewery

A - Nice golden hue and evident richness (relative term) in this APL, certainly not a BMC-type offering. A decent white cap of froth remains for a while until receding into encircling clingy lace. It is also as clear as spring water, per the style.

S - Mineral water, pristine-ness and lightly sweet malt. Not much to report here, but is there ever anything (good) to say about APL aroma?

T - This is just basic beer, and quite nice for what it is. The flavor characteristics could be basically summed up by saying it tastes like plain ol' beer, which is in keeping with its look and "aroma". I like it, though it is not my preferred style.

M - I never find this type of beer to feel very good. The best it can hope for is bright an refreshing. This beer perhaps transcends those expectations by adding an unexpected element of slight creaminess. Very nice for the style.

D - Well done. If you want an APL, this is a phenomenal choice. I would usually (always) reach for something else, style-wise, but that is just me...

07-25-2010 23:34:46 | More by ktrillionaire
emerge077

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Vacation beer #8

High clarity amber, nice skim that remains for the duration of the glass. Clean and sweet malty aroma, nondescript and not much there. Simple and utilitarian.

Flavor is simple too, wet barley, mildly sweet. A table beer to wash down food, inoffensive and quaffable. Not the most creative beer from NG, but its quality as usual. Medium carbonation and light bodied. Pleasant mild bready aftertaste.

07-20-2010 02:08:06 | More by emerge077
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Clear pale gold body with an inch of light, fluffy white head; good retention and beautiful, clingy lace. Great looking light lager.

S: True to its name, this smells like beer, pure and simple: mildly sweet pale malt and faintly floral, grassy hops. About as light an aroma as I've gotten from an all-malt brew, but I think that's what they were going for.

T: Follows the nose, with the malt definitely taking center stage with the lightly sweet, lightly nutty complexity that I hoped for from NG. The noble hops provide just a bit of balance, but perhaps not quite as much crispness as would be ideal. That's the only drawback I can think of. This is absolutely a spectacular example of a style that's rarely anything other than bad.

M: Much more full-bodied than I expected, with moderate fine carbonation.

D: I usually finish my reviews with about half the beer left - this one's down to about two ounces. Perfectly quaffable, I could happily drink this all day.

Notes: This beer's overall score is all the proof I need of style bias on BA - if this isn't an "A" example of an American Pale Lager, than I don't think one exists. Crafted with care by one of the best brewers in the country, this beer deserves far more respect than it gets. Would I rather drink a 100 ibu, 10% DIPA? Sure, but that doesn't mean that isn't an awesome example of its style.

Cheers!

07-17-2010 23:29:28 | More by woosterbill
theghost3

Louisiana

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to XaulZan11 for this extra.

Pours a transparent bright golden color with a 2-finger, frothy white head. Surprising amount of layered lacing.

The smell is grassy hops with some grainy malts. There's a slight vanilla scent. The flavor is subtle-- some herbal and grassy hops with sour grain maltiness and yeast. Mouthfeel is crisp, carbonated and the body is thicker than your adjunct lagers.

This is a highly refreshing and sessionable beer. It's perfect after a hot day of working outside.

07-11-2010 03:00:25 | More by theghost3
Cubsfan1087

Iowa

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

I had Totally Naked for the first time at the New Glarus Brewery and had to buy a six-pack right there. This has to be one of my favorite beers now. There isn't anything particularly special about this beer. Nothing about this beer will necessarily blow you away either. It is an exceptional light beer though. There isn't a great deal of flavor, but it is refreshing. It would be very easy to drink a few of these in one sitting. New Glarus has many great beers and Totally Naked is no exception.

07-04-2010 19:02:13 | More by Cubsfan1087
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.1/5  rDev +12%

12oz provided by my Dad... Never thought I would say that... He doesn't really understand my infatuation with beer, but he still stopped at New Glarus on his Westward journey recently. He made the trip to NG only because I opened bottles of the Belgian Cherry at my wedding reception a couple years ago... He's definitely not a beer guy, or really any alcohol guy, but the swoons spouted over the Cherry brew obviously made a mark. Thanks Pops.

I really only want one beer tonight.. and I want something simple; but something where the brewery challenges people to appreciate one malt and a simple hop profile seems like a nice time.

Pours with a 2 finger stark white head... surprising retention... great sheets of lace... the brew is perfectly clear pale golden.

Very clean pale maltiness... subtle spicy hoppiness.. pretty nice and smells like it will be nearly perfect for a full moon summer evening.

Just enough bitterness to balance the maltiness... grainy without any sorta sweetness.. just lightly malty ... hops are background and definitely Noble... Pretty much spot-on for a "naked" brew... No flaws .... Never flabby... just very clean and enjoyable.

Body is definitely more than BMC... Carbonation is not "fizzy".. Reminds me a bunch of Full Sail Session... would be an obvious choice for me if I was camping anywhere in the Badger state.

I truly appreciate the chance to try this one very fresh... and even more, I appreciate my Father's diligence ... Thanks, Dad.

4/4/4/4/4.5

06-27-2010 08:20:31 | More by JohnGalt1
Ottertude

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

My bottle of Totally Naked from a mixed New Glarus sixer poured a pale yellow into mt pint glass. A large white fluffy head quickly left leaving some nice lacing on my glass.

Very little smell to this, not a bad thing in my mind for a lager. Perhaps a little malt w/ a touch of corn and hay. The taste is what summer lawnmower beer is all about. Some malt up front, something slightly buttery with a touch of bitter hops that do not linger for long. Not a strong or complex flavor by any means. But sometimes simple is good when I am in the mood for that.

The mouthfeel was fairly watery thin. Of course one could pound as many of these as you want while working in the yard or grilling. This was decent but not great in my book.

06-21-2010 21:57:27 | More by Ottertude
paco1029384756

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear golden color with a small white head and medium to low carbonation.

Scent of light, fresh grain ad mild hops. Nothing particularly fascinating about the scent, but it is certainly not bad.

Taste of sweet grain and some grassy hops. As with the scent, it is a simple beer, but it is tasty and something I could easily drink on a regular basis.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and slightly oily with good carbonation.

06-20-2010 01:03:57 | More by paco1029384756
samie85

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Had this on tap at Uncle Mike's Hwy. Pub in Kenosha; reviewed from notes, originally 6/6/10.

A-Pours a light straw color with a white head.

S-Corny and grainy aromas dominant the nose on this one with maybe the slightest hint of floral hops.

T-Corny and grain upfront, very watery and no discernible bitterness. A little husky and dry on the finish.

M-Thin and pretty watery with carbonation on the heavy side of medium.

D-I mean, it goes down easy, but it's not a very flavorful beer. Definitely a gateway/lawnmower type of beer.

06-19-2010 15:17:43 | More by samie85
jlindros

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

My first New Glarus review, with many more to come, soon especially. THis one and many more thanks to levifunk. American Pale Lager, seems perfect for a nice hot summer night like tonight, especially watching the Red Sox game.

A: A fluffy pasty white 1.5 finger head rises up and slowly fades, reinforced by the many bubbles rising from the etch at the bottom of the glass. After cleaning the condensation on the sides of the glass I can see the crystal clear light yellow, (cleaning condensation again) slightly watery colored beer.

N: Some American lager aromas, some toasty and sweet syrupy malts, a slight almost skunked mass produced lager aroma that you would get from a BMC beer, but just slightly, with lots of agitation and warming I finally get some light pale hops, a little grassy and spicy.

T: Starts with lots of toasty malts. A nice toasty and somewhat sweet malty lager flavor, also a very slight BMC cheap lager flavor with that. Not sure what they did but it has a cheap lager flavor. Some crisp and light lager flavors, and a little juicy hop goodness. The hops add a little bitterness, with mostly grassy and slight spicy hop characteristic. Overall the flavor is somewhat bland as well, I mean it's hard to do a pale lager right, but this just doesn't excel in anything and has a little bit of some unpleasant flavors.

M: Medium to lighter body with lots of carbonation.

F: Slight bitterness, with some spicy and grassy hops again coming through first. Also again, that slight not so pleasant bitter BMC cheap lager flavor comes through on the finish, that just reminds me a lot of those bad Frat parties at college. A little lingering sweet malty lager taste late on the finish as it also seems to dry a bit.

This beer does well with the clear color, although a little too watery in color, the aroma is OK but has some off parts, the taste is really bland and adds more off flavors, then the mouth is pretty normal for the style with a nice crisp and light drinkability. On a hot summer day this would be a nice drink, but not the best lager around.

06-05-2010 01:47:28 | More by jlindros