Thumbprint IIPA - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-2011

Ratings: 696 | Reviews: 195
4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip class. This is brought to me by some good friends in Wisconsin. It is the last of my four pack, so I thought it high time to review it.

Pours a hazy mango color, like the color of mango nectar. While it is light-colored, it is almost opaque. Has a half inch foamy white head which reduces with a soap-like consistency.

Has a very fruity aroma, with loads of orange citrus, pineapple, mango, and an airy floral nature that really makes this standout. You could get lost in how good the smells.

After such a wonderful aroma you hope that the taste won't let you down, and thankfully, it does not disappoint. Sweet and mualty upfront, with mild fruit and hints of caramel, this ends with a pleasing bitterness leaves you wanting more. Hints of resin are there to remind you of the strength of this brew.

The medium mouth feel, very smooth and easy drinking, ending with a bit of bitter to nip at tongue.

An excellent DIPA, it is a real disappointment that New Glarus is not sold in the Cleveland area. Sweet, fruity and malty to start, with a pleasing but not overpowering hop bitter to finish, I cannot get enough of this double IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

warbird07 ( Port Huron(currently Ticking In Ohio), Michigan )

A+ / 4.93 rDev +16.2%

Thanks to drpdaddy for this tick..poured into my New Belgium globe

pale orange color greets you, good head, nice lacing, pleasantly suprised when I layed eyes upon this brew..smell..mm good..I can can smell armarillo hops,a bit piney, citrus, grapefruit and tinge of orange..a beer that smells this good must be tasty...and it is..light malt base which gives the mike to the balanced hop profile..very smooth..piney, easy bitterness, lingers perfectly on the tongue..not heavy at all...and pretty damn drinkable..

Reviewed on: 05-10-2011 01:56:31

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a awesome hazy orange, half finger of white head, really good looking stuff

smell is pine, sweet citrus, blood orange, caramel malt

taste is oranges, sweet malt, grapefruit, and finishes with a resiny dankness... Nothing short of amazing

Mouthfeel is medium, but the way the carbonation really fills it out is once again pretty top notch! Finishes with a sticky dryness.

Wow I have had this in years past and always thought it was decent but not mind blowing like I do now! Either my tastes have changed or the beer has (which I doubt it). Either way this beer is one of the best things to hit my lips in the last few months that is for sure.

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into tulip , a golden color to this brew , nice 2 finger head with tons of lacing

The smell is very well blended of earthy hops and sweet malt and a slight hint of spice and alcohol

The mouth on this beer is perfect for a IIPA , not too much carbonation and just thick enough

The taste is oh so good , the Hops and bitterness slip in at first then the super sweet malt kicks in , a very complex and well blended beer ,the booze you can taste at the end just compliments it

Overall , this is my favorite IIPA on the market , It's better than Pliny the Elder and Zombie Dust by a country mile , I need and want more of this brew

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into tulip

A - Gorgeous clear orange-yellow beer with 2 fingers of awesome eggshell white head. Looks amazing.

S - Heavy pine backed up with some citrus. Fruity citrus notes become more apparent the deeper you smell. Great.

T - Just like you would expect from the nose; a blast of piney hops followed by a smooth citrusy finish. One of the most drinkable and balanced DIPAs I've ever had. No alcohol taste at all.

M - Very oily, smooth and resinous. Perfect balance with enough malt character as I want in a bigger DIPA.

O - Glad to have tried this brilliant beer. It's very reminiscent of PtE, but perhaps better given the ABV! I hope to get my hands on more of these.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Went to the brewery on Saturday March 9th, 2013 and picked this up.

Served in my new New Glarus nonic pint glass that has a etching of Wisconsin on the bottom for aeration points! Celebrating the 20th year of New Glarus Brewing Co!

Pours a nice white head with strong lacing that holds nicely to the side of the glass. The head pours 1/4 inch and falls to a thin layer that still covers the whole beer. The color is a light color with a slightly copper tint, completely clear, and very carbonated.

The smell was a new smell of what I can only think is mosaic hops. Smells of blueberries from two inches above the glass and some sweet mango right up to the glass. All the floral fruity smell of hops without the organic green bitter that lingers on the tongue.

The taste is clean, although there is enough protein to hold the head up and hold the beer flavors on the tongue longer without washing them away. The hops are very up front and present, but it's not so overpowering and it's still amazingly balanced with the malty sweet flavors. Citrus orange is is a strong flavor along with an slight blueberry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is lighter medium bodied, but still holds the hop flavors up and hold them to the tongue without washing them away. When I take a drink the carbonation doesn't bite, but it's there causing a gentle tingling and introducing the hops to the sweet part of the tongue.

This is an amazingly well crafted beer where the hop flavors are big, but don't bite and I would personally like the body of this beer on its own it so good. It's a well rounded, nothing is wrong beer. The only variable that the brewer can't control is the opinion/preference of the drinker. This is something that has a lot of things that every brewer should aspire to create in their beer.

The only thing I can against this beer is that because it is so well rounded that it's too drinkable. I'm so used to hop bombs that leave your tongue numb that this one makes me want to keep drinking with another bottle.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: pours a golden yellow. fairly cloudy as it filled my glass but became a bit more transparent as it settled down. nice big white head.

Aroma: as soon as this beer started to fill my glass i smelled sweet hops. pine is probably the strongest. definitely citrus as well

Palate: feels fairly full in your mouth for an IPA. most of the flavor sat on my tongue, didn't notice heavy carbonation or anything. the after taste evolves into more of the sweet/spice flavors of this beer.

Taste: this was a perfect balance of hopiness, flavor and alcohol. some dipas are either too hoppy or too alcoholic and leave you wanting more flavor. NG nailed it on this one.

Overall: this surprised me. usually NG does well and i enjoy pretty much all their beer, but this one knocked it out of the park. one of my new all time favorite dipas. this is right up there next to their belgian red in terms of quality. im going back to the store today and getting more. absolutely loved this beer!

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a huge, dense, resiny head that is extremely persistent and leaves tons of lacing. A bright, citric hop aroma dominated by grapefruit. Beautiful, golden color which becomes slightly turbid when the bottom bits are swirled in. Starts bitter with huge notes of grapefruit and citrus. Mellows for a second to allow the malt to come through, then picks up into a high bitterness with a massive piney,hop resin flavor At this point, I feel like I just ate a mouth full of resin coated hops. The finish lingers with bitter hop resin and a few hints of malt peeking through again. No lingering hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and simply perfect; not too thick, not too thin.

Holy hell. This is fantastic. I'm usually not too big on such a distinctly and aggressively pine flavored hop, but the balance with grapefruit notes and sweet malt work very, very well. This is aggressively hopped, but finishes clean with bright hops. I can't believe this finish. It tastes of raw, green hops, but it's a touch floral and very, very pleasant. How this is so massively bitter, but doesn't sit on the tongue very long is boggling my mind. And the almost 10% ABV is also hidden very, very well.

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

Reviewed 5-08-2011

Pours a clear yellow-orange, decent head with nice lacing.

Hops predominate the smell, grapefruit, orange peel, and pine.

Big grapefruit and orange peel twang in the taste, a bit of a pine note, and finishes with a green pepper flavor that reminds me of Moon Man.

Mouthfeel smooth and resinous.

This was glorious. I loved Moon Man and I wouldn't be surprised if the recipe for this is just triple the ingredients for Moon Man. This is super drinkable and instantly right up there with my favorite DIPAs, I can only hope we'll be seeing more of this.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a NG pint glass. Bottled on date on 3/1/11. It was a slightly hazy, pale golden color with massive amounts of carb bubbles. It had a large, foamy white head that never got less than 1/2 inch of cap. Thick sheeting with lots sticking.

The aroma was heavy on citrus hops with mango leading the way. Some pine and not much malt there but didn't care as the hops were awesome. The taste was also great with a nice slight bitter pine bite and c-hop smoothness. Again not much malt but didn't matter. This is a really excellent hop show. Mouthfeel was medium to full with loads of carbonation bordering on touch much.

Overall, an excellent ADIPA that I highly recommend. Wish I could have tried it fresh but damn glad to have it as is. Really excellent. Never taste or feel the 9% ABV so session like in taste though I'm sure it would hit at some point. Only available in Wisconsin. Ummagum shipped me one from his brewery visit - many thanks!!! Rotation - one time release and WI only so probably only shot at it. IF it was avail near me this would be in

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Yellow, slight haze, good head.

Smell: Very nice, tropical fruit, pink grapefruit.

Taste: Excellent! Sweetness, pink grapefruit, a little bitterness rounding it out.

Overall: I really liked this beer, smells and tastes like Hopslam to me, nice sweetness to go with the hops. I'm going to have to run back over to Wiscoland to get some more before it's gone.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a nice rich golden color with a bit of white head and some decent lacing as well. Nice solid hop aroma, not overpowering though. Taste is fantastic, very well balanced with a great bitter finish. Light to medium bodied beer with a great mouthfeel. This beer goes down extremely smooth for a 9% beer. I really like this one a lot. Great tasting, easy drinking beer. I'll buy this one a lot while its available.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

This is a beautiful beer! A constant stream of tiny bubbles streamed from the bottom of the glass continually re-fluffing the delicate merangue like head. Awesome lacing, perfect clarity, gorgeous golden yellow.

The aroma is citrusy, piney and earthy. No frills on the smell, you get the hops and some sweetness from the malt. No booziness like some other Imperial IPA's.

The taste is just like the aroma, citrusy, piney and earthy. I also got a little bit of tropical fruits on the back end. A little malt sweetness is detected, but it balances nice with the hops. As carbonated as it looks, there's no bite from it.

The mouthfeel is pretty middle of the road. Not thin, but not creamy.

Overall I'd rate this just below the top of the chart for the style. Since we can only rate in increments of .5, I didn't get a 5 overall, I'd really put it at 4.75.

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Absolutely gorgeous deep golden orange with a bit a haze. Brilliant, 2-3 finger white head floats on top, small stream of bubbles. Wow do I want a drink!

S: I could smell this as I was pouring into my tulip. The hops blast you with a punch of floral and pine, citrus, and sweet malts.

T: A nice blast of citrus and pine followed by a mellow toffee and sweet malt. Finishes with a nice shot of bitterness. One of the most balanced IIPA's I have tried. I want to sip, but the taste is incredible.

M: Seems to be just right and the carbonation really fills it out. Finishes with resin and sticky dryness.

O: I have had some of the big IIPA's (Heady, Pliny, Hopslam, Sucks) and New Glarus nailed it in 2013! This fresh is one of the best I have had the pleasure of drinking and I will be buying many more. An absolutely delicious creation that I wish more could get a hold of.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer! Poured into a goblet glass. The appearance gave a nice copper and almost golden-like orange. There was a small foamy and pure white head which dissipated quickly. The scent offered some floral notes and citrus. What I really noted was after swirling the glass (not that I needed to) I instantly smelled lemons, plus notes of pine. Glad I swirled it, it made the scent brighter and more powerful. Amazing.

At the instant I took a sip, I tasted tangy sweetness ...I'm thinking honey + citrus, an insane amount of hops (love it!) and some pine. Compared to a standard IPA, this one is a kick to the mouth. I get the sweetness at first but than after a short while I sensed the bitterness at the back of my tongue.

The carbonation is perfect and the beer has a medium to heavy body, it just sits in my mouth; somewhat dense.

Overall this is a great beer! I savored every sip from a 12 oz. bottle that lasted me 2 hours this evening (savoring was key otherwise it would be gone in 30 min). I certainly wouldn't mind having another bottle but considering it is 9.75% ABV, best to wait another day. I did not feel any heat while the beer warmed to room temp (I usually appreciate the heat from high alcohol beers). I have to admit that I have not tried many double IPA's, but among the double IPA's that I have tried, this will be the first I would grab at a store.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Pours a bright orange color with high clarity; creamy, fine-bubbled white head with nice retention and lacing. Aroma is a bit relaxed compared to the big boys, showing tangerine and grapefruit hoppiness, along with a quiet undercurrent of toasty maltiness. Medium-full body; lively carbonation; any alcohol coming through does so softly. Lots of delicious hop flavor coming through here: a vibrant orange and grapefruit and somewhat lemon hoppy core (dank, vibrant, delicious), showing plenty of assertive bitterness that doesn’t overshadow how flavorful this is; definitely seems like there’s at least a bit of Amarillo in here, with delicious orange notes coming out; a quiet, orienting toasty malt character underneath. Long-lasting, nicely bitter and toasty finish: oranges, grapefruit, solid dry end. Overall a great DIPA!

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

The brew evacuates the red foil topped bottle a nice golden yellowish orange with a foamy one inch head settled on top. Bubbles rise up on the sides of the glass. Aromas are awash with big citric hops..grapefruits, oranges, peaches. Hints of pine and resiny hop oils abound. A mellow sweet caramel is present..however the hops run the show..fresh and abundant. Lovely.

First sip brings a wave of lush hop flavors. Sweet citrusy grapefruit tones dance across the palate along with some pine and plenty of slick, resiny green hop oils. There's a nice sturdy caramelly malt background that ties everything in. Initially sweet...the hop bitterness hits on the way down but it's not too abrasive. An awesome Double IPA by all accounts and the best New Glarus brew I have tried thus far.

Mouthfeel has a nice slick, creamy medium body that makes this brew incredibly drinkable. Smooth, mellow carbonation, each sip leaves me begging for another. They should bottle this in 750's! A hopheads delight...I hope Dan can find a way to get this into the regular New Glarus lineup. Highly recommended.

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%

Big thanks to seeswo for the hookup!

Pours a nice sunset orange, with a light milky colored head. Recedes to a nice grouping of big bubbles.

Aroma is big. Juicy mandarin oranges, ripe grapefruit and other citrus fruits. There's also a nice bit of pine coming through. On the back end of a big whiff, there's a great nutty, caramel malt profile that cuts slightly through the juicy hops.

Huge citrus and grapefruit notes dominate the taste. Stark bitterness cuts through, but doesn't destroy. Malts are there, but play third fiddle. Not much lingering tastes.

The feel is creamy and slick, medium bodied, and nice carbonation that is a bit crisp on the tongue. The finish is extremely clean and smooth.

Overall, I'm quite impressed by this. I'm not huge on grapefruit, but there is so much hop detail going on here that it's hard not to love!

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

I bought a single 12oz bottle of this from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for 2.59 in Spring 2011.

Pours a clear, light amber color with a thin head that leaves some slight lacing around the glass. The scent is oh so strong with dry, bitter hops with a little sweet apricot and bready yeast in the mix. Taste starts out strong and crisp really pounding the taste buds. The hops are well mixed with some sweet malts giving it a slight citrus taste that finshes smooth, crisp, and clean. I'm not normally one that likes the really hoppy beers, but this was fantastic. I highly suggest trying this if you can get your hands on it.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

(Original Review of Unplugged Imperial IPA)

Pours out pale gold and sits a lightly foggy golden amber in the glass with a good sized creamy off-white head. Fades slowly to a light skim, holding to the sides and leaves a good coating of lace around the glass.

Aroma is a rich melding of gooey caramel, apples, oranges and grapefruit laid down on bed of dried pine needles. Crisp and fruity with a balance of lightly toasted malt character and hints of rum cake.

Flavor is delightfully balanced, the journey starts with both malt and hops character in equal pace. Ever so lightly toasted, borderline biscuity malt character boasts caramel and some mild fruity esters on the mouth, apples, pears and nectarines mainly. Hops put out a massive whallop of pine infused citrusy flavors, ruby red grapefruit, orange, kumquat pulp, and just an added bit of spicy, green hops flavor. Alcohol warms up in the well-bittered finish, complete with a light pepperiness and much piney goodness lingering on.

Delightfully creamy and smooth in the mouth, total carbonation mellowness and silky flowing medium-full body. You could fall asleep on this cushiony body.

Very tasty IIPA, great backbone and character exceeds demand. Very well rounded, and this is fresh at that. Give it time, and the malts will come out a bit more, I'd say drink it while it's fresh because this is damn tasty. Dreadnaught fans will find this to be a familiar face.

Reviewed on: 06-04-2005 02:50:00

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle served in a FFF teku. Bottle shared by pmoney and also opened another bottle bottle two weeks later. Both equally as delicious.

A: Pours a clear amber color with a one finger height of white foam forming on the pour. Some soapy and splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Grapefruit and orange bursts of citrus with a nice piney undertone. A little bubblegum sweetness with sweet bread malt body.

T: Mango and orange. Lemon citrus with pineapple. A lot of tropical fruits going on. Marmalade sweetness with some light bitterness. White bread malt sweetness on the finish.

M: Medium to light bodied with a medium carbonation level. Sweet and fruity with a clean finish.

O: Delicious. So well balanced with a great mouthfeel. Fruity and sweet with a piney undertone. This is a top tier DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Originally drank on 4-28-2011.

Hey! I have a New Glarus beer in my glass! Thanks goes out to zimmerbloke for sending another four pack of Wisconsin's finest my way. Cheers Matt. My Duvel tulip was graced with the 12 ounce bottle.

A: Pale slightly cloudy body (obviously unfiltered), eggshell two finger soapy head, moderate lacing. I typically am automatically turned off by dark IIPA's but love the look of a light hued version. I'm gonna dock it only a half a point because the lacing could be a little better but otherwise, this is about perfect for me. 4.5/5

S: All about the hops here... The way is should be. Pungent citrus hops to be specific. Bright notes of tangerines and pineapple are discernible. A touch of spicy pine lingers in the background for some welcome contrast. Very well done. 4.5/5

T: Here's where the pine really steps forward. Specifically, bitter pine sap is the star. Juicy grapefruit juice and pith makes an appearance, as does some onion on the finish (chinook?). I'm hard pressed to pick up on the marris otter back bone. This is really just a delivery system for the hops. Big alcohol never fully manifests itself. Taste wise, I'd be hard pressed to call this anything other than a 7% PNW IPA. A big ole' hop kick to the teeth. I dig it. 4.5/5

M: The heavy dose of bittering hops really helps to destroy my palate and numb my tongue. The body itself is full and luscious with a nice dose of scrubbing bubbles. Although the finish is long and lingering, its completely due to the hops and the malt doesn't contribute to sticky finish. Again, very well done. 4.5/5

O: Apparently I like this better than most who have reviewed it. I was really quite curious how Dan Carey was going to tackle the style and was expecting a twist taking it off the beaten path. He didn't put a spin on it at all. Instead, he made a perfectly to style big IPA that fits my palate to a T. Well done Dan. It doesn't get much better than this. 4.5/5

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Good head of foam at the top formed from a medium pour, golden in color, minimal lacing.

S - Well-balanced aroma of malt and hops that's not overly powerful.

T - Very smooth for a 9.75% double IPA and not over the top with the hops so a little restrained. The malt is present to support the hops with citrus notes leaving a very nice lingering aftertaste.

M - Little dry, light-to-medium body, smooth carbonation

O - Superb, fresh, and pleasing double IPA without the punch that's present in others in the double IPA class.

12 oz served in a small tulip

Efervescent pour a golden honey orange a bit hazy with a nice white cap. A rocky cap that coats the glass with heavy webbed lacing.

The awesome hop scent shows mixed fruit and pine that is balanced between the two. Pineapple orange and resinous pine needles.

Nice hop blast followed by a full malt coating that is a very light roast. Slick hop oil coating the mouth. I like the malt backing that supports the heavy hop palate but not heavy at all. Fruity ale taste is typical of New Glarus and I enjoy the trademark taste that runs through many of their beers. Slight alcohol bite on the finish reminds you this is a heavyweight.

Smooth light carbonation that complements the intense flavors.

A very good double India pale from a top notch brewing team.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to Zimmerbloke for this bottle. The beer Appears semi-hazy orange with a small white head.

It smells of floral, grassy and citrusy hops. I also get a bit of a sweet mild caramel like smell.

It tastes of floral and grassy type of hops. I also get a mild grapefruit flavor to. This floral dry hop flavor is followed by a pleasant sweet malt flavor. The beer ends with a strong though not overly strong bitterness. A very nicely balanced beer.

There is ample carbonation and a crisp mouthfeel.

Overall this is a strong hoppy yet balanced IIPA that is very refreshing. A fantastic beer.

Thumbprint IIPA from New Glarus Brewing Company