Thumbprint IIPA - New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-13-2011

Ratings: 696 | Reviews: 195
4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beer pours orange and vibrant. About a finger of cream-colored velvety head that falls quick.

Very citrusy nose. I smell mainly orange and grapefruit peel. I'm definitely expecting some sweetness with this. I get a little pine in the background.

Flavor is very hop forward, a little bitter, and hugely sweet. Not nearly as much citrus juice as I smelled, but definitely citrus peel. I'm a little disappointed in the depth of the brew. I mainly get sugar and hop all on the front of my palate. None of it is terribly complex. The sweetness is almost honey-like and a little cloying.

The feel of this is a little syrupy from the get go, and leaves some stickiness and resin on the tongue. Carbonation is pretty good...Maybe a tad too low.

Overall, I like this beer a lot. It's one of the best local IPAs in Madison. However, it really doesn't stand up with the big boys, IMO.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks go out to Ri0 for this bottle!

It pours a 24k gold with a small but steady head of foam and leaves some nice lacing behind.

Big notes of grapefruit and hints of tropical fruit in the smell. Deeper whiffs give me some presence of malt but the smell is definitely hop forward.

The taste is..well...yummy. Most DIPAs I've had usually have a good malt presence and this one is no exception. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of hop bitterness here, grapefruit/tropical fruit(more in the taste than the smell) to please most hop heads but I get a goodly amount of sweet malt to not put the brew overly bitter. I get quite a bit of warming from the alcohol but it's more of a an expected side product than a major player.

Great mouthfeel and pretty darned easy to drink, I like this DIPA muchly. Thanks again, Jared, for a fine drinking experience.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Hazy apricot hue with a one-inch head that eventually fades to a thin film, but lacing is good

S: Tropical fruits: mango, pineapple, grape fruit, and Marciano cherries; a tiny bit of a sweet boozy and malty background but mostly loads of awesome tropical hops

T: Still loads of tropical fruits with some undertones of marijuana and pine; man, this is a hoppy wonderful beer

F: Sticky and oily and near perfect mouth feel for a DIPA

O: This is an amazing DIPA; I love the mingling of dank and tropical hops; man, I love this beer

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer! Poured into a goblet glass. The appearance gave a nice copper and almost golden-like orange. There was a small foamy and pure white head which dissipated quickly. The scent offered some floral notes and citrus. What I really noted was after swirling the glass (not that I needed to) I instantly smelled lemons, plus notes of pine. Glad I swirled it, it made the scent brighter and more powerful. Amazing.

At the instant I took a sip, I tasted tangy sweetness ...I'm thinking honey + citrus, an insane amount of hops (love it!) and some pine. Compared to a standard IPA, this one is a kick to the mouth. I get the sweetness at first but than after a short while I sensed the bitterness at the back of my tongue.

The carbonation is perfect and the beer has a medium to heavy body, it just sits in my mouth; somewhat dense.

Overall this is a great beer! I savored every sip from a 12 oz. bottle that lasted me 2 hours this evening (savoring was key otherwise it would be gone in 30 min). I certainly wouldn't mind having another bottle but considering it is 9.75% ABV, best to wait another day. I did not feel any heat while the beer warmed to room temp (I usually appreciate the heat from high alcohol beers). I have to admit that I have not tried many double IPA's, but among the double IPA's that I have tried, this will be the first I would grab at a store.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have always admired the fruit beers from new glarus, but beet so/so on their other stuff. this one changes that, as it is a fantastic double ipa. pours super red, coppery and bright with a huge frothy off white head. the nose is more like a strong ale than an ipa, I smell booze and malt in balance with the absurd quantity of hops. lots of oils in this, sweeter, not a bitter bomb, thanks to a nice caramel and red malt backing. the hop profile is really unique, sort of piney, but also really fruity, like dried cranberries or pomegranates. really mineral heavy in the finish, along with an almost sticky hop feel. fuller bodied and a little sugary towards the end, but the carbonation is good and its actually a very drinkable beer for its size and depth. my only regret here was that I only had one. I don't know why it doesn't, but I wish this stuff had wider distribution. one of the more unique double ipas ive had in months, and one of the more hefty beers that wasn't the color of motor oil ive maybe ever had. top quality here folks.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%

12oz bottle without bottling date poured into a Bell's tulip today and consumed today 3/25/2013. This review is also based off notes from previous consumption of one 4pk over the past 2 weeks.

Aroma: An explosive nose full of sticky sweet honeyed biscuits, toffee, a little bit of caramel and earthiness with a good amount of pine. Smells fantastic and appetizing. I can't really imagine how it could smell much better than this- outside of different smells, but the nose already has a ton! (5)

Colour: A cloudy amber body that pours with a 1cm white head that dissipates into a film on the surface of the brew after a minute or so. Very attractive beer. Not a whole lot of lacing. Certainly above average for the style, but I think it could use a bit more head retention. Semantics. (4)

Flavour: Awesome! It begins with a nice piney hop blast that stings the palate. Then there's honey, toffee, caramel and some earthiness that is ostensibly from the Maris Otter which comes a split second later to provide some balance. But the hop blast continues unabated, lest you think this is a balanced beer. Kicks you right in the face and keeps going on. (4)

Mouthfeel: On the thicker side of medium body. Good carbonation- the fizz on the tongue is a great companion to the hop blast in the flavour. The aftertaste is a clean, pure pine bitterness which is going to set up camp and isn't going anywhere for at least the next few minutes. Awesome. The 9.75% ABV hides itself pretty well, but as it warms up you start to notice it. Which is OK, I needed a respite from the hop blast.. (4)

Overall: As a homebrewer, I love Dan using Maris Otter in brewing this beer. Its got the earthy malt flavours I love from English-style IPAs, while being combined with the crap-ton of hops he must have used. It's great in an unique way compared to something like Pliny the Elder or Hopslam. And I guess if you expect American DIPAs (like the aforementioned beers) to kick you in the face, steal your wallet and key your car on the way out, I'd say this qualifies rather easily. You won't be disappointed to drink this beer. (4)

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Vibrant but slightly hazy golden-yellow body with a contrasting stark white head. There's little lacing.

The smell is juicy grapefruit and pine with a bready malt.

It has a nice balance to it from the bready malts. The hops are the same grapefuit and pine in the nose. I also picked up some orange. It has a really fresh and clean hop profile and the finish is long.

Mouthfeel is medium with medium-light carbonation.

It a really outstanding DIPA that I'm certain to seek out again.

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from their red foil wrapped 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Pours nearly 2 fingers of egshell foam, body is a lighter golden amber, a nice haziness (I incorporated the sediment prior to opening the bottle), pretty nice lacing.

Smell - Very floral and tropical, some nice bright nice citrus, with some pith at the back.

Taste - Begins with a very forward blast of citrus, very bright and potent, and the tropical fruits follow immediately, followed nearly as quickly by some pine, and slightly bitter floral flavors. Next comes a pretty good ruch of alcohol heat - longer into the finish there is some very assertive grapefruit pith.

Mouthfeel - This beer is medium and extremely smooth, and has almost a creamy mouthfeel to it. Carb is on the lower side of medium, that is smooth on the palate and provides a few edges at the back of the tongue. The finish on this is dry and a touch chalky, and noticeable alcohol heat.

Overall - This beer has such a nice nose and appearance, and the beginning of the first sip was fantastic - there are truly some great flavors here but they are unbalanced, and the alcohol is not hidden very well, and has gotten fairly hot halfway through the glass. It is a pretty good DIPA, but not one that I can recommend.

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Absolutely gorgeous deep golden orange with a bit a haze. Brilliant, 2-3 finger white head floats on top, small stream of bubbles. Wow do I want a drink!

S: I could smell this as I was pouring into my tulip. The hops blast you with a punch of floral and pine, citrus, and sweet malts.

T: A nice blast of citrus and pine followed by a mellow toffee and sweet malt. Finishes with a nice shot of bitterness. One of the most balanced IIPA's I have tried. I want to sip, but the taste is incredible.

M: Seems to be just right and the carbonation really fills it out. Finishes with resin and sticky dryness.

O: I have had some of the big IIPA's (Heady, Pliny, Hopslam, Sucks) and New Glarus nailed it in 2013! This fresh is one of the best I have had the pleasure of drinking and I will be buying many more. An absolutely delicious creation that I wish more could get a hold of.

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Gold to amber hazy colored with a white head. The head lasts and there is lacing throughout. The aroma is a citrusy hop. The bottle indicates that it is a local hop, although it reminds me of Simcoe. (I'm not really sure what local hops means, does that mean local hybrids or does that mean locally grown standard varieties). Hop taste up front, and hop flavor throughout. Mouthfeel is thick. You can taste sweetness initially. Clean beer, balanced and quite refined, for a double IPA, presumably that's from the cellering they do on it. It is bottle conditioned, but I found no yeast stuck to the bottom.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a awesome hazy orange, half finger of white head, really good looking stuff

smell is pine, sweet citrus, blood orange, caramel malt

taste is oranges, sweet malt, grapefruit, and finishes with a resiny dankness... Nothing short of amazing

Mouthfeel is medium, but the way the carbonation really fills it out is once again pretty top notch! Finishes with a sticky dryness.

Wow I have had this in years past and always thought it was decent but not mind blowing like I do now! Either my tastes have changed or the beer has (which I doubt it). Either way this beer is one of the best things to hit my lips in the last few months that is for sure.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Went to the brewery on Saturday March 9th, 2013 and picked this up.

Served in my new New Glarus nonic pint glass that has a etching of Wisconsin on the bottom for aeration points! Celebrating the 20th year of New Glarus Brewing Co!

Pours a nice white head with strong lacing that holds nicely to the side of the glass. The head pours 1/4 inch and falls to a thin layer that still covers the whole beer. The color is a light color with a slightly copper tint, completely clear, and very carbonated.

The smell was a new smell of what I can only think is mosaic hops. Smells of blueberries from two inches above the glass and some sweet mango right up to the glass. All the floral fruity smell of hops without the organic green bitter that lingers on the tongue.

The taste is clean, although there is enough protein to hold the head up and hold the beer flavors on the tongue longer without washing them away. The hops are very up front and present, but it's not so overpowering and it's still amazingly balanced with the malty sweet flavors. Citrus orange is is a strong flavor along with an slight blueberry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is lighter medium bodied, but still holds the hop flavors up and hold them to the tongue without washing them away. When I take a drink the carbonation doesn't bite, but it's there causing a gentle tingling and introducing the hops to the sweet part of the tongue.

This is an amazingly well crafted beer where the hop flavors are big, but don't bite and I would personally like the body of this beer on its own it so good. It's a well rounded, nothing is wrong beer. The only variable that the brewer can't control is the opinion/preference of the drinker. This is something that has a lot of things that every brewer should aspire to create in their beer.

The only thing I can against this beer is that because it is so well rounded that it's too drinkable. I'm so used to hop bombs that leave your tongue numb that this one makes me want to keep drinking with another bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a huge, dense, resiny head that is extremely persistent and leaves tons of lacing. A bright, citric hop aroma dominated by grapefruit. Beautiful, golden color which becomes slightly turbid when the bottom bits are swirled in. Starts bitter with huge notes of grapefruit and citrus. Mellows for a second to allow the malt to come through, then picks up into a high bitterness with a massive piney,hop resin flavor At this point, I feel like I just ate a mouth full of resin coated hops. The finish lingers with bitter hop resin and a few hints of malt peeking through again. No lingering hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and simply perfect; not too thick, not too thin.

Holy hell. This is fantastic. I'm usually not too big on such a distinctly and aggressively pine flavored hop, but the balance with grapefruit notes and sweet malt work very, very well. This is aggressively hopped, but finishes clean with bright hops. I can't believe this finish. It tastes of raw, green hops, but it's a touch floral and very, very pleasant. How this is so massively bitter, but doesn't sit on the tongue very long is boggling my mind. And the almost 10% ABV is also hidden very, very well.

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Slightly cloudy dark yellow in color. Forms a moderate white head with moderate retention and minimal lacing.

S: Quite aromatic. Strong blend of grapefruit and pine with a bit of malty toast in the background.

T: Moderate biscuit and pale malt body then grapefruit, citrus rind, pine, and pine resin. Then a slight citrus sweetness with notes of orange and grapefruit, though the pine resin on the finish is quite a bit stronger. Alcoholic finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium with a strong, biting bitterness. Medium to lightly heavy carbonation.

O: I will assume this is the same beer as the Unplugged IIPA when it was out. After all it tastes as I remember it. This is simply a very good, hop forward, yet still balanced IIPA.

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

Btight golden amber with some haze, bubbly bone white head, good sticky lacing. Big whiffs of grapefruit, tropical fruits and citrus, moderate notes of sweet malts, grassy and boozy towards the back end. Big bitter bite of hops of front with notable boozyness, underneath a nice juicy and fruity profile. Thick and sticky, some lingering sweetness and bitterness. Big bold bitterness and boozyness almost get in the way, but a solid dIPA.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: Slightly hazy vibrant orange color, but at times has gold elements to it, the head starts clinging as soon as it starts receding, it doesn't stay fluffy long but that's to be expected of a beer this high in alcohol

S: Very pungent, makes your mouth water, very fruity pineapple and tangerine aroma, but with a note of pine

T: Hop flavor almost matches aroma but falls a little short, the bitterness hits you in an increasing fashion, the first punch is pure bitterness, but as your palate recovers those fruit flavors gently make themselves known, I wouldn't describe the hop flavor as pungent like the aroma though, the pine aspect comes out a touch more in the aroma, but it is emphasized I think by the alcohol flavor, the alcohol almost wraps everything up in a blanket, the more you notice it the more you can detect it at every stage of the flavor progression, its never unpleasant though, which is hard to do, the malt is never sweet, in fact its barely appreciable except in the fact that the hops don't kill your palate

M: Surprisingly light body with a good amount of carbonation, refreshing for an DIPA, which can be overwhelming when you combine such intense flavors with high alcohol

O: A good DIPA, its not a hop flavor bomb like some are, but this isn't any less of a DIPA than those. You can appreciate the more subtle flavors of the hops and the effect that alcohol can actually have on flavor as well. The mouthfeel is what makes this beer good instead of mediocre.

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Pours a hazy, golden/straw color with a minimal head. The nose on this is super hoppy, super resinous, and super boozy. REAL boozy. The taste is extremely sweet up front. This reminds me a ton of FFF Behemoth. Right on the edge of DIPA/barleywine. The finish is kind of flat, as this is a low carb beer. THere's a bit of tartness on the finish. Overall, this is a decent beer, but not one I'd return to anytime soon.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a New Glarus pilsner glass, reviewed from notes.

Pours a soft golden straw color, lots of yellow as well as some darker amber when held to the light, fairly clear, but hazy, few bubbles rising to the top of the glass, nice soft white head sits for a while, slows fades into film, nice lacing, very inviting IIPA. The aroma is great, zesty hops, mild citrus, resinous pine, grass, weeds, big floral bouquet, cut well by the alcohol, although faint and a great malt presence. Great hop profile greats your tongue, lots of earthy floral hops, mild citrus, grassy, a bit resinous, definitely hitting the lemongrass note, finishes with a nice sweet and smooth malt presence and a touch of alcohol. Good body, nice carbonation, a bit soapy, dry finish.

Verdict: Lovely IIPA from New Glarus, extremely pleasant. It might not be the most innovative or provocative IIPA, it might not be a hop monster, but it's darn good.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip class. This is brought to me by some good friends in Wisconsin. It is the last of my four pack, so I thought it high time to review it.

Pours a hazy mango color, like the color of mango nectar. While it is light-colored, it is almost opaque. Has a half inch foamy white head which reduces with a soap-like consistency.

Has a very fruity aroma, with loads of orange citrus, pineapple, mango, and an airy floral nature that really makes this standout. You could get lost in how good the smells.

After such a wonderful aroma you hope that the taste won't let you down, and thankfully, it does not disappoint. Sweet and mualty upfront, with mild fruit and hints of caramel, this ends with a pleasing bitterness leaves you wanting more. Hints of resin are there to remind you of the strength of this brew.

The medium mouth feel, very smooth and easy drinking, ending with a bit of bitter to nip at tongue.

An excellent DIPA, it is a real disappointment that New Glarus is not sold in the Cleveland area. Sweet, fruity and malty to start, with a pleasing but not overpowering hop bitter to finish, I cannot get enough of this double IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Served in a 16 oz snifter.

A- Light golden with good lacing and retention.

S- Some sweet malts, but mostly citrus fruits.

T- Little of the sweet malts come through followed by citrus fruits (orange, pineapple), and then a big pine bitter bite and alcohol finishes off the beer.

M- Medium bodied for 9%, good carbonation with a semi-dry finish.

O- Very impressed by NG for their first DIPA. Would love to try this on draft.

3.4/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Slight hazy golden honey color, very light fizzy head.

Nose has some booze and sweetness, lots of earthy grassy hops, light pine and hint of citrus, hint fruity apricot like.

Taste quite malty quite sweet and light booze. Earthy hops, quite bitter and astringent, light grassy herbal and pine hops with hint of citrus. Chewy spicy hops like chewing on a mouthful of pellets. Light creamy malts. finish is very bitter and astringent, dry long bitter spicy chewy hop pellets and barely drinkable.

Mouth is med bodied, light booze and decent carb.

Overall eh, way too much astringent spicy hops and too much malty sweetness which should be balanced but isn't somehow. There are two spikes of flavor on opposite ends of the spectrum, sweet malty, and bitter astringent, and neither are great alone, and they don't mesh well, so not a great DIPA IMO.

4.07/5  rDev -4.2%

I have never been disappointed with the Thumbprint Series, but my first thought was that a DIPA sounds boring compared to the other efforts. All things considered, I was impressed with this one.

The ale poured a orange-yellow color with a 1/2 inch white head into my tulip glass. An appropriate amount of lacing was left on the glass. The ale revealed a potent grapefruit aroma that tickled the insides of the nose. Grapefruit and earthy notes dominated the initial taste with a malty backbone. The grapefruit notes became progressively sweeter toward the aftertaste. The hops seem to hit a little bit more in the aftertaste as the ale gives a warming to the back of the throat. The ale was not unusually smooth, but it did go down easy.

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade,
Thanks stig!

Hazed orange with a moderately sized off-white head that leaves only small spots of lace down the glass.

Initially pleasant aroma of citrus, bread, and mild alcohol, though as the beer warms, a slight onion presence creeps its way in, and I'm not a fan of that aroma.

Moderate to high bitterness, passion fruit and citrus, some bread, mild alcohol, and a bit of vegetable/onion make for a pretty easy drinking DIPA, all things considered.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Good enough, but I don't need to seek it out again.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

355ml bottle poured into tulip 16/7/12 thanks Masterski and Sean9689 for sending me the bottle

A golden yellow with lots of tiny bubbles struggling to make their way too the surface, a loose two finger head falls to a thin film rather quickly and leaves some random lace

S pineapple, pine, grapefruit with some booze and sweet malt, a nice mix of tropical citrus and pine

T some lemon and even more pine, the booze is well hidden but not entirely, slightly sweet and lots of rind and pine resin on the finish

M a nice bitter bite, tiny pinprick bubbles, and a strong aftertaste, not much booze felt on the way down but you know its in there soon enough

O this one went down a little too fast, its a palate wrecker but I don't mind at all, this one could hurt you if your not careful. A little higher grade here as the smell and taste were close but not quite 4.5

another thanks to Sean and Alex for getting this one too me, oh how I wish I had more access too the American craft scene

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip
no born on date

Thanks to haveanother1 for sending this one over as an extra.

A: Pours a golden yellow, which is light for the style, with a huge 2.5 plus fingers width of snow white colored head, which takes minutes to dissipate down to a drinkable level.  A solid amount of lacing is left clinging to the glass.

S: Citrus with lemon zest and grapefruit, very dank and resiny, with a bit of hop spice, a touch smoky.  Malts are almost undetectable on the nose.

T: Interesting taste to this one.  Like the nose, its dank, resiny, and herbaceous.  Some citrus, that is mostly grapefruit and maybe some citrus rind/peel characteristic.  Malt backbone is more noticable than on the nose, which gives it a balancing sweetness, but it certainly takes a back seat to the hops, no doubt about that.

M/D:  Medium bodied, appropriate carbonation, with a big drying finish to conclude each sip.  The big ABV is incredibly well masked, and drinkability is very good.

O: Overall, a very solid brew here. Its difficult to stand out in a style that has some many great offerings, and this one does not. Its nothing spectacular, but is quite good and certianly worth a try.

Thumbprint IIPA from New Glarus Brewing Company