Laughing Fox - New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Kristalweizen |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Wisconsinality on 08-23-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Laughing Fox Alström Bros
CarolinaKev

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

12-12-2011 01:39:44 | More by CarolinaKev
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle into pint glass

A - A cascade of bubbles rises from the bottom of the glass, resulting in a two finger off-white head. The beer is clear and copper in color.

S - Strong banana and biscuit aromas, with clove abound.

T - Incredibly mild, but very sweet in the middle, mellowing out to a smooth bready finish. Banana bread with clove. I almost think this is a better "banana bread beer" than Young's beer of that name!

M - Light to medium body, very wet, with active bubbles that tickle the tongue. Dries out slightly in the tail end.

O - Overall a fine brew. A nice example of banana esters developed purely from yeast, paired with fulfilling bread and a bit of spicy clove. Yum!

12-10-2011 23:19:18 | More by greenmonstah
steveh

Had never seen this NG on the shelves. Can't remember the last Kristalweizen I had, interesting that the small brewery from over the border wanted to make one.

A -- Clear, deep gold with a massive, off-white head that lasts long into the beer.

S -- Nicely mild banana/bubblegum with vague graininess back.

T -- Citrus character up front, somewhat tart, that blends into the banana esters and then into smooth malts. Finishes with a mildly tart citrus ester and light spiciness.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft and smooth with a light body.

O -- A very well made take on a seldom seen style. Has all the characteristics you'd expect in a Bavarian Hefeweizen without the cloudy yeast.

12-08-2011 22:12:10 | More by steveh
mychalg9

12-08-2011 18:53:07 | More by mychalg9
scottfrie

3.9/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle into SN imperial pint. Thanks Chris!

A: Pours a dark toasted amber color with a huge, billowing, fluffy, off-white head that took forever to fade into a thick rocky film that left chunky of lacing clinging behind.
S: Clove and banana mix with clean wheat and a bit of spicy hops and yeast. Crisp smelling.
T: Sweet and clean flavors of banana, clove, and minerally chalky yeast. There’s just a touch of bubblegum and wheat as well. The finish has a touch of citrus, and the aftertaste is herbal, caramelly and full of earthy spicy hops.
M: Very smooth fluffy carbonation, slick and drying mouthfeel, medium-thin body.
O: Clean, slick and smooth flavor that goes down easy. Nothing super special about this one, but there’s nothing wrong with it either.

12-06-2011 00:59:06 | More by scottfrie
richkrull

12-05-2011 18:49:48 | More by richkrull
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev +1%

vigorous pale golden yellow with a huge head of fizzy white lace, took several pours before the entire bottle could be released in a very tall glass. Lots of carbonation was apparent from the start through the absolutely flawless crystal clear nature of it. No sediment and no haze at all. Head settled down to just a thin film and that lasted throughout, but leaving copious side lace. Smell was very light, almost non existent at first but then some nice grain aromas broke though with a touch of yeast to add. Light flavor as well, just a nice light wheat flavor is really all that can be said about it. Mouth feel was again very light with ample carbonation it went down like water. Huge session ale here, this had all the earmarks of a hot summer day in the backyard brew.

12-04-2011 01:58:01 | More by mikesgroove

barnzy78

11-28-2011 05:16:25 | More by barnzy78
feloniousmonk

3.63/5  rDev -6%

New Glarus Laughing Fox. "In playful pursuit of butterflies, a Red Fox danced across the brewery hill. His joy so pure it bubbled through our hearts and into this beer. Laughing Fox is a sparkling Kristal Weizen brewed in the Bavarian tradition with 50% Wisconsin wheaten our open top fermenters. …blah, blah, blah, …This is easy drinking beer perfect for a friendly Wisconsin evening. Relax, this is God's country, here we have the strength to reach for the stars and change the world."

Well, that was one of the most over-wrought labels I've ever read, here in Satan's Backyard, Minneapolis. Some of the sentences I skipped prove this even further, but I'm censoring the descriptors so I can do it myself. And so…

Big, booming off-white head, clear, with caramel-toned coloring…a bit darker than I anticipated.

Spicy, clove notes, …rye malt? Cinnamon, brown sugar. Enticing, and lively.

Brisk, sparkling mouthfeel, leads to sterling consumability. Clean, to the point where I miss the texture a non-filtered wizen would bring. Some fruit in here, some apple, cherry, maybe. This flavor grows and covers up that patch missing in the character. Becomes more likable further in…but it doesn't go far enough.

This is the final bottle in the 6-pack. The other five made no impression on me, really, and at this last one, I feel I won't be missing it. New Glarus continues to be a brewery that misses almost as much as hits with me. But the hits deserve their accolades, don't get me wrong. This one? Eh.

11-27-2011 09:02:13 | More by feloniousmonk
thewimperoo

11-27-2011 04:26:36 | More by thewimperoo
bertram

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass...

pours a nice golden-amber - almost like an apple cider in color - with a generous, slow-fading white head that falls to show minimal lacing.

smells heavy of apple at the start which faded quickly to banana and bubble gum.

the taste is a surprise in that it is so subtle in everything...nothing is really coming through for me here, I'm at a loss...the only thing that I'm getting is bubble gum, which I don't care for.

the mouthfeel is solid - good carbonation and a lingering bit of tingle on the tongue.

overall I'm really not sure how to rate this - at first, from the appearance and smell, I had high-hopes, but the taste was so subtle and almost bland for me that I'm not really a fan at first tasting.

11-27-2011 03:24:40 | More by bertram
Phocion

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass. Huge frothy off-white head sitting on a clear medium-amber body. Good retention and moderate lacing.

Aroma is banana and clove. Light citrus and bubble gum, and mildly wheaty. Touch of cinnamon and vanilla.

Very clean, crisp flavor. Fruity and lightly spiced, with just a minimal wheaty presence.

Sharp, crisp, light-medium body with good carbonation.

I'm not a huge fan of most wheat beers, but I always come in with an open mind. This is a very clean, very drinkable beer. Solid, if not particularly memorable.

11-25-2011 20:47:30 | More by Phocion

tvv375ia

Iowa

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

poured from 12oz bottle into imperial pint glass

A-nice burnt orange with about a 3 finger head that last a long time leaving a lot of lacing and finally settled to about a 1/4" cap

S-some spicy banana is what I get most for a smell in this one

T-bananas at first and then as it warms to room temperature more of the clove comes out

M-pretty light but good carbonation and dry finish

O-my wife picked this up for me and when I saw it was sort of filtered hefewiezen I wasn't sure I would like it since I don't care for most hefeweizen, but I was suprised to find it was better than I was expecting

11-23-2011 02:05:24 | More by tvv375ia
jmarsh123

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a clear amber with a massive off-white head.

Huge bubblegum aroma. A little bit of banana, spice and clove, but I've never smelled a beer quite like this.

Taste follows the aroma. Loads of bubblegum flavor. Just a touch of clove which is my personal preference. Just a little bit of caramel sweetness.

Fairly light mouthfeel with good carbonation.

I love a good take on a more traditional style and New Glarus usually pulls it off better than anyone and this is no exception. Very good beer.

11-23-2011 00:11:50 | More by jmarsh123

KC9LDB

11-21-2011 22:39:37 | More by KC9LDB
Lemke10

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

I a bought a 6pk of this from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $6.99 in Fall 2011.

Pours an amber orange color with a fluffy white head. Scent is full of wheats with a slight bitter scent mixed with bananas. The taste has a similar taste that reminds me of biting into an apple. I know there is a lot of wheat to this beer but I'm getting more apple tasting hints. This is a smooth, tasty brew that is a great drink for the fall harvest weather.

11-20-2011 20:48:42 | More by Lemke10