2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Thumbprint Barley Wine - New Glarus Brewing Company

Thumbprint Barley WineThumbprint Barley Wine

New Glarus Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mobius387 on 01-13-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Thumbprint Barley Wine Alström Bros
Ratings: 310 | Reviews: 114 | Show All Ratings:
jbaker67

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Bright and hazy golden yellow pour with a froth of white foam. Aroma is heavy caramel, toffee, raisin, crackers, and thick, sweet malt with pine and hop bitterness on the finish. Taste is very smooth with a heavy toffee/english style barley wine malt flavor presenting plum, raisin, etc. that is nicely complimented by pine and hop bitterness with some alcohol heat slipping through on the tail end of the sip. Clean, coating mouthfeel

01-03-2014 21:05:05 | More by jbaker67
Etan

Wisconsin

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz into a tulip. About 1 and a half years old, probably.

A: Pours a slightly murky dark orange with a nice white head.

S: Mellow pine resin and candi sugar, light booze, papaya, a bit leafy.

T: Hops still going strong, but probably have mellowed a bit since the release. Grapefruit juice, tree sap, resinous, sweet grain, light grassy bitterness, tangerine, biscuit malt.

M: Medium-bodied with light carbonation.

O: Still a good hoppy barleywine, but I don't see any reason to age this one. If they brew it again I'll pick it up fresh.

08-14-2013 00:24:24 | More by Etan
tectactoe

3.66/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Mike for cracking this one; I always look forward to something I haven't had from New Glarus. This one has a shockingly light hue for a barley wine; deep golden yellow with a substantial haze throughout. The "head" fades insanely quick and settles as a stark-white ring around the top of the beer as it just sits, still and motionless.

The nose contains quite a bit of hops, especially considering the style. Florals, grassy hops, perfume, light citrus, tart lemon zest, and some herbs are spread out across a light blanket of some sticky caramel and toasted, bready malt.

The hop character seems to be a bit heavier than the malts, and the malts don't seem as dark or sweet as you think they'd be, considering the style. It almost reminds me of a super strong double IPA that's been sitting for a while and the hops have toned down to "not quite DIPA" levels.

Again, the first sip isn't screaming "barley wine", as the beer is actually quite hoppy. I've had hoppy barley wines, sure, but this one just doesn't seem to fit the style. Herbs, leaves, peppery, grassy, and full of underlying citrus; sweet and even mildly tart. Would be a pretty good hop bill for a D/IPA.

After a bit of some time, I finally start getting some barley wine essence; the malts open up and grow with warmth; sticky caramel, toffee, and quite a bit of sweet toast. There's also some apple-y sweetness in the finish that closes things out quite nicely, along with a subtle boozy warmth. The body is heavy and sticky like a barley wine should be, with minimal carbonation.

A little perplexing, that's for sure. Not quite the barley wine I was expecting, but it was still a pretty tasty brew. It took a while for me to come around to it, but in the end it was pretty good. Barley wine? Extra-malty DIPA? What's the difference, really? Far from New Glarus's best offering, but still worth a try.

06-28-2013 11:46:39 | More by tectactoe
weonfire

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A - Almost a burnt orange, pencil thin white head- dissipates very quickly but sticking to the rim, light carbonation rising

S - Aged fruit - pineapple, cherry, apple, orange, very hoppy, and booze

T - Ripe pineapple, carmel, orange, apple. finish: hoppy booze

M - Moderate frothiness, good coverage around the mouth. acidity pricks the tongue. low viscosity.

O - Most different color ive seen in a barley wine. Missing the toffee malt backbone. Certainly a sipper at 12 abv. Very hop centered- no doubt its American. But the ripe pineapple isn't pleasant- far too sweet. Get no taste of the 'Toasty Graham cracker'. I am pretty disappointed in NG with this. Three more will certainly sit in the cellar. We'll check back in a few years. Hopefully this pineapple/booze can simmer down a bit.

06-19-2013 01:24:38 | More by weonfire
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle poured into tulip 28/5/13 cheers MasterSki and Sean9689 for sending the bottle

A glows an orange amber with a slight haze due to tiny suspended particles, looks a little flat but there's two fingers of soapy foam that's gone before I really observed it and leaves a few random patches of lace

S smells of candied pineapple and wheaty cereal, caramels strong with a little pine, It smells more like a DIPA and that suits me fine

T some tropical hops work well, this would've been an absolute palate wrecker fresh, a little booze but if this has the 12% behind it that I see listed I'm impressed with how well they concealed the booze

M thick and syrupy and it takes some effort to pull my lips apart, shes one sticky brew, slick after the fact with a DIPA like piney caramel aftertaste, if this is really 12% I'm impressed because other then my sideways walking and my head heating up there's not a whole lot of booze proof

O hopped to hell BW and I'm happy with that, hits all the spots and I don't even know if I'd want to age a bottle

my bottle's stamped 3611 on the neck and according to Fresh Beer Only that would mean this was bottled Feb, 2011, if that's the case I'm worried how this tastes fresh. young BW?, old DIPA? either way I'd drink another

05-28-2013 23:48:31 | More by wordemupg
DCon

Missouri

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Received a 12 FL. OZ. bottle of this in a trade w/ rjacobs6 as an extra. I'm aging two of these so decided to pop one from last year and see how it aged. Poured from the red saran wrapped bottle into my 4 Hands Tulip Glass. 2012 Vintage.

Aroma- Carmelized with a light honey, super sweet background. Has a note of alcohol but doesn't overpower.

Appearance- Has a Reddish Copper colored body with good clarity. A .5 finger find head had average retention but only a few suds were left behind.

Flavor- Sweet, Candied, and tons of caramel come across at the beginning. Has almost no bitterness but hops are absolutely present.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, light bourbon and a sweet finish.

Overall Impression- A super strong Barleywine that was almost candied at times. I'm excited to try the other two down the road. Another awesome brew by New Glarus.

04-01-2013 02:39:49 | More by DCon
peensteen

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Sammy

Pale orange colour, ring of white head, light bit of lace as well. Smell is incredibly hoppy, beefed up malt bill with a bit of sweetness, honey and even some wheat like notes on the nose, orange and citrus fruit is pretty strong here though. Taste is very hoppy upfront with citrus and orange before giving way to lightly sugary malts, more of the honey in the nose mid palate into the finish, fairly bitter throughout. Solid mouthfeel, lightly carbonated, fairly full bodied. This was awesome, a nice hoppy barleywine that is so incredibly drinkable, would love to revisit this again.

03-20-2013 19:03:34 | More by peensteen
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An American strong ale. Big bubbly head on clear orange body. Lacey.Lots of orange aroma, and orange taste. Honeyish, caramel. Leaning on the bitter side with a hop bitter and dry finish. Lots of flavour, a dangerously drinkable beer, and a good high alcohol beer for a cold night.

03-12-2013 13:55:49 | More by Sammy
kojevergas

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was in a barleywine mood and I had this from a trade with Duff27; thanks again, buddy! 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled over branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high; I love a lot of beers from this brewery and Duff27 insists the thumbprint series beers are the best. Brewed with Styrian Goding, Willamette, Columbia, and Sterling hops.

Served straight from the fridge (per label instructions it should be 45 degrees F) and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of slight cream, okay thickness, and good (~4 minute) retention for the high ABV. No lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a surprisingly bright pale clear copper. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks more like an IPA than a barleywine. Fairly vibrant. It's caught me a bit off-guard, but it's generally appealing for the style. There's nothing unique or special here, but there are no overt flaws. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Surprisingly hoppy, actually. Floral hop character, juicy citrus, clean bright malts, and some nectary hop character. Boy, this seems more like a wheatwine than a barleywine. There's definite pungent fruit here; mango and other vaguely tropical fruits come to mind - all bright fruits. The heavy malt build I'd expect from a barleywine is not present here; it's surprisingly hop-centric. Light caramel. Sweet, evoking Belgian candi sugar. Sweetbread. Honey. Light orange. Ripe fruit is dominant. Pineapple. A pretty strong aroma, but not at all what I was expecting. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. New Glarus rarely goes a direction we expect. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Ripe fruit and caramel, with the sweet candi sugar body beneath it. Hrm. Tropical fruit is complemented by a large dose of hop character - which feels unwelcome here. I get acidic pineapple (especially on the finish), a touch of over-ripe orange, lots of pineapple, light cidre-like apple, a bit of white plum, lychee, and crystal malt. Seems more like the wheatwines I've had than the barleywines I've had. Lacks a dark toffee-like malty build. This is not what I'm used to - or particularly what I like - in a barleywine. Overly hoppy. Alcohol has definite presence here, but I wouldn't call it hot - just boozy. Little yeast character, if any. Balanced and fruity. Complex and well put together, but it may lack needed subtlety. This is more a fresh blast of hops with a fruity bright malt body than the refined toffee-like caramel build I expect in a good barleywine.

Mf: Good carbonation. Smooth and wet. Rather thick, with a heavy body. Palate presence is good, but it is a bit overwhelming. Crisp. Suits the flavour profile well, but it does have a bit of a bite. It's very filling. Acidity is a touch high for the style.

Dr: It's a sipper. The 12% does hit. I'll have no trouble finishing this one, but I may have expected too much based solely on the brewery. For my specific tastes, this isn't a particularly satisfying barleywine, but it may hit home for others. I got none of the "toasty graham cracker" notes described on the label. A pretty decent barleywine from New Glarus, but not up to par with many of their other beers. I'm glad I got to try this one; thanks again, Duff27! Maybe 3-5 years of age would do this one some good.

High C

03-05-2013 05:54:25 | More by kojevergas
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle cellared between 53 and 65 degrees for 1 year.

A - Poured into a snifter the beer offers a nice thick frothy head with large bubbles in the middle and smooth soft edges a pinky's width up to the glass. The body is crisp, clear, clean and a very nice orange color. Well done. 4.0

S - Hints of pungent fruit which seem to be the due to the perfect balance between the hops and malt that fill my nose. It is begging to be sipped. 4.25

T - Wow, let me start with the finish. The deep taste of plum and apple. The middle is a build up of the two and the beginning is a sharp maltiness. 4.5

M - The finish on the center front of my tongue is very unique. It's very abrasive in that spot. The sticky residue throughout and after each pull is well rounded. It is extremely smooth and surprisingly yet comfortably soft while in the mouth. Again, very unique for a barleywine. That being said, it is a very fine feel. This may be it's finest quality. My inky reason for it not being perfect is because I wish it were juuust a bit heavier. 4.75

~~~ This beer has gotten light-years better while in the cellar. It is fantastic! I you were in a position a year ago to have aquired a 4-pack and you cellared a few, now is the time to take a sampling. I have two more bottles in the cellar now and I'm seriously considering cracking them now... but I won't. I'll wait for their respective 3 and 5 years in the cellar. 4.5

---
The review below was entered on 1/28/13. The review is from a sampling from tap. The calculated the rating was a 2.7.

A - This is the cleanest bodied barleywine I have ever seen. It's copper in color with a moderate level of carbonation and topped by a half inch of white head. 4

S - Smells nothing like the barleywines I've ever had before. Citrus hops are prevalent with absolutely no pungent fruit or malt aromas. 3.5

T - After taking my first sip I had to think the bartender mis-poured and served me an IPA rather than a barleywine. This beer tastes nothing like any barleywines I've had. It's all citrus and grapefruit hops with a tiny malt sweetness. If I were comparing this to other barleywines I wouldn't choose this one over any other. I really like the pungent flavors of plum, molasses and brown sugar that come with the barleywines I've had in the past. In my opinion this one's flavors don't measure up. If this were a double or imperial IPA it would be top notch in the flavor category. 2

M - The brew is slightly coarse while offering a crispness on the tongue. It too leaves a slightly sticky finish on my lips. I do wish it were thicker/heavier in the body. 4

~ Based on the characteristics available to the consumer and not the way in which the beer was brewed, I have to say the only thing making this a barleywine is the ABV. At 12% it is right in the wheelhouse of a barleywine. Other than that I have a hard time seeing this brew fitting well into the style category of barleywine. This all being said, I do plan to pick up a four pack in order to cellar a few bottles. I suppose one of the true measures of a barleywine that should be considered is its ability to cellar. I'll review it again in a couple years to see how it develops over time. 2.5

03-02-2013 04:52:51 | More by cdkrenz
n2185

3.66/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: pours a slightly hazy honey color with half a finger of off-white head that recedes into a thin ring with no lacing.

S: Caramel malts up front followed by an almost Belgian-like aroma with candy sugar, lavender, and bubblegum. There are also notes of mango and apricots. The finish is sweet and bready.

T: Caramel malts here as well with vanilla, some sweet and slightly tart fruits, and hearty, sweet breads. There is a decent alcohol burn on this as well.

M: Medium-thick body with carbonation on the low side of medium, this beer would be a bit lighter than most barleywines if not for the alcohol burn.

O: An interesting barleywine overall that seems to have some Belgian influences. It smells quite nice, but unfortunately the taste doesn't have the same complexity.

02-13-2013 13:33:40 | More by n2185
facundoCNB

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

one of the cleanest barley wines i've seen. a slightly hazy copper/orange in color with a full finger of head which dissipated slowly and left behind a bit of lacing. great head retention. the smell is of a sweet sweet grain bill with notes of caramel, honey, and bread. a sweet flavor throughout the drink, lots of bready malt notes, sweet taste of caramel, a slight citrus (orange) hint, walnuts.
full body with a slight bit of carbonation, definitely feeling the strong abv on this one (in the mouth and in the chest).

overall this is a pretty decent barley wine. i have to honestly say i was expecting a bit more from NG on this one, which honestly shouldn't mean much to the average guy looking for a good beer - i've been spoiled.. so far almost every beer of every style of theirs has blown every other beer of that style away. this one doesn't do that for me, but is still a really good beer for the style. hope that makes sense.

02-11-2013 07:23:05 | More by facundoCNB
sweemzander

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a hazy dark orange hue. Produced quite a nice head of white froth for the style. Solid retention and nice clumps of lacing left behind.

(S)- Quite fruity on the nose. Lots of honey, candied fig, orange, and pineapple. An equally heavy sweetness behind that.

(T)- Fairly similar to the smell. A very up front malty sweetness of honey, fig, and orange from the smell. Finishes fairly dry and slightly piney with bits of resin and graham cracker here and there.

(M)- A solid carbonation level and balance. Big malt body, but balanced and integrated together well. The bitterness does get to be quite high as it warms.

(O)- First time reviewing this, but the second or third time actually drinking it. The hops are starting to fade quite nicely which creates the more fruit forward profile I am seeing. It is becoming much more harmonious than when I had this fresh. I look forward to seeing what more time does to this, but it is really drinking quite nicely now.

02-08-2013 22:22:51 | More by sweemzander
Vonerichs

3.61/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange body with a thin off white head. The orange is pretty vibrant and looks more like a west coast style ipa than anything else.

The smell is toasty, grainy, hints of bubble gum, pine, and apricot.

I hate using descriptions from the bottle for reviews, but it says toasted graham crackers and I'll go with that. The bubble gum shows up in the flavor and then becomes very grainy. It seems to be all over the place. The finish is like crushed aspirin.

Mouthfeel has prickly carbonation with a boozy burn.

This one is actually kind of a mess and misses the style for sure. It goes in so many strange directions that just don't mesh.

02-02-2013 04:07:43 | More by Vonerichs
Florida9

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Somewhat cloudy orange in color. Forms a small, but creamy, tight white head that reduces down fairly quickly to a thick ring around the edge and a thin bit of surface coating. Some decent lacing.

S: Aroma just seems off to me. Caramel malts, brown rice and cruciferous vegetable cooking water give this an aroma that is earthy and vegetal while the fairly heavy alcohol comes off as being mint.

T: Unfortunately the taste is very much like the aroma. Heavy caramel and some lighter toffee notes on the front end, before a good dose of herbal hops give this a minty medicinal flavor. Finish is harsh, with lots of alcohol that just hangs on the tongue.

M: Full bodied, but feels thin. Lower carbonation is appropriate. Mild to moderate bitterness. Heavy alcohol presence gives this beer a feeling of warmth and harshness.

O: Geez, not sure what is going on with this beer. Figured the masters up at NG would have nailed this style, but this one is abrasive, messy, unbalanced, and pulls the palate in a number of directions, none of which are overly pleasant. Glad to say I've only got a single bottle of this one.

01-25-2013 02:46:07 | More by Florida9
TWStandley

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appeared a brilliantly clear golden red color with a 2 finger off white head.

Smells malty and sweet with a decently strong hop presence.

Very smooth and light tasting for a barleywine. Alcohol hidden well. Slight fruitness and a bit of a tart taste.

Mouthfeel is a bit too thin and a bit too carbonate for the style. Abv is well hidden though.

Not bad....pretty refreshing for a barley.

01-25-2013 00:44:24 | More by TWStandley
Goblinmunkey7

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Big thanks to Schlais for the crazy extra hookup.

Appearance: A surprising dark gold. Head is bright-white with a decent retention. Head is small, creamy, tight, and leaves some moderate streaks of lacing. Minimal carbonation on the whole thing.

Smell: Solid hit of pine, citrus, and a big floral note. Malts are big and bready. Some seriously cooked malts and grains. Vaguely biscuity. Hints of flower petals and fresh baked bread. Lots of grain, like multigrain bread or crackers. Too varied to really pull anything in particular out. Hits close to marmalade on the citrus scale. Very full and sweet without being cloying. Light hit of caramel and deeper sugars, a bit different for what I expect from the style.

Taste: Grapefruit zest. Marmalade and a touch of pine. Malts are sweet, pushing touches of caramel and toffee. Bready and biscuity in good measure. Huge hit of alcohol on the back of each sip. Seriously cooked malts. Slight resin. Touch of alcohol grows to a big smack of heat as the beer warms. Lots of malt flavor, but not as complex as would be expected given the slightly toasted, sweet, caramel, biscuit, and such coming from the malts. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel: A moderate-full body. A bit chewy at times. Minimal carbonation. Solid dryness on the back from the alcohol.

Overall: A partial Thumbprint.

Not the most complex barleywine out there, but it's unique. A bit of a mess, but a year might help settle things down a bit. A nice big balance of malts and hops. A big beer all around.

01-10-2013 02:16:15 | More by Goblinmunkey7
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev -8%

12 oz bottle.

Pours a clouded dull copper with a retentive off white head; light lace. Toasted malt, caramel, resin, light fruit. Fruity, piney and caramel malt to start and a slightly dry, earthy, hoppy finish. A little too sweet and boozy for my taste, but nothing wrong here.

12-31-2012 21:36:47 | More by yourefragile
emyers

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden color with a very thin white head dissipating quickly.

Smell: Caramel with a touch of herbal hops. It's pretty one dimensional, but the aroma is nice and strong and quite good, so I approve.

Taste: Once again very strong on the caramel, with some herbal hops and raisins. Very slight alcohol heat and grassy hops on the finish. Once again, this beer has a fairly one dimensional flavor profile, but it doesn't lose too many points there. It also doesn't come off as overly sweet, which many English barleywines do to my palate, so it gets some points there.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium body. I'd like a bit more body and a bit less carbonation, but it still comes off quite smooth.

Overall: A very solid English barleywine. It doesn't particularly excel in any one area, but it's very good all around.

12-18-2012 06:35:29 | More by emyers
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz bottle opened on 11.8.12

A - Pours a cloudy orange with a red tint. A small off-white, fizzy head forms and fades rapidly.

S - Sweet malt, citrus, carmel.

T - Carmel malt, rye bread, orange citrus, alcohol burn.

D - Good carbonation, with a heavier body, hot finish.

O - Pretty mild, but well carbonated. Pretty hot on the finish.

11-28-2012 06:03:19 | More by HuskyinPDX
FosterJM

1606th Review on BA
Bottle to FW Snifter
12oz

2012 Release

Thanks to ErikKoppin for this one

App- This out of the bottle was a glowing orange. Like a DIPA in color but more deep. The beer was pretty clear for a big 12% barleywine. The color was a bit one dimentional all around but really good looking in the glass. The head was a nice white pulled apart and fluffy. A couple dots of cling and lace.

Smell- This was a pretty damn large and aromatic barleywine. It had that big deep malt base with a bit of spice and booze behind it. A bit creamy and sherry cordial like on the nose as well. I couldnt take really large smells and the ABV was a bit too stinging.

Taste- While I drank this at cellar temp, I think it was just a touch too warm. I think just a touch colder it wouldve been a bit smoother with the citrus and the malts pairing a little bit better. This was a bit one noted with both flavors running their course but the ABV was dialed up a little too much on the prickly factor.

Mouth- It was very solid medium body, almost bordering on a bit thick. The carbonation was a pretty full medium and maybe a little low carbed. The bubbles didnt last long and the body did a good job with adding to the feel. Residual booze and citrus zest are mostly what I got.

Drink- Its a very nice barleywine. Im beginning to think that base barleywines are becoming harder for me to enjoy. I need the BA to make them pop. This was a good one to come back to and say I like the style still. Thanks again Erik.

11-08-2012 17:21:00 | More by FosterJM
harrymel

Washington

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottled earlier....

Amber with a etched form atop a hazy beer. vanilla, nougat, caramel, bits of floral hops. Flavor is caramel, crystalized hops, tea, sweet wort, bits of belgian candy sugar. Nice flavor. Medium bodied with tight, sharp carb and a semi dry finish. Nice beer.

11-05-2012 07:34:47 | More by harrymel
jethrodium

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle courtesy totoropanda. Thanks Daniel. Pours a clear light amber small head that has decent retention and leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is fruity with lots of caramel, some floral hops, and light alcohol. The taste is sweet with lots of brown sugar and caramel and some floral hops. The finish has a light bitterness and a hint of alcohol. Medium body. Low carbonation. Not bad, but nothing special.

11-01-2012 05:30:19 | More by jethrodium
UCLABrewN84

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to queens1130 for sharing this one at AndrewK’s tasting.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, and alcohol. Taste is much the same with citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is an alcohol kick and a mild hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty but pretty strong.

10-29-2012 19:42:54 | More by UCLABrewN84
AgentZero

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Pours a really nice honey-amber color with just a touch of a white head that quickly disappeared into a nice white ring. Clear beer, some touches of orange and red hues in there.

S - Malt forward, nice hop presence. Bit of burnt sugar, caramel, and whiff of booze.

T - Slight taste of burnt brown sugar with a touch of lactic sourness on the end. Pretty smooth, alcohol is well hidden for something at 12%. It's got a lot of hop character, and is really clean when you first start drinking it. At first, you might mistake it for a really big IPA. Lots of malt and sugar up front.

M - Crisp, smooth, lower carbonation, medium bodied.

O - Solid beer, if you like hoppy barleywines, this is pretty good. Smooth, alcohol is well hidden.

10-22-2012 04:22:34 | More by AgentZero